Looking forward to looking forward - March/April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Looking forward to looking forward - March/April Goals and Progress

Postby heddylamar » Thu Mar 17, 2022 6:56 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I may end up in prison for Farriercide. Though I think my defense will be strong.

Of course, he may yet turn up.

I fired a farrier after two late shows. I do my best not to be late and call if I am — twice in 16 years with the current farrier — and expect the same in return.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:33 pm

Fingers crossed Mountaineer that your farrier comes! I pay what I consider a little extra cost for the farrier I'm using now. But he's always on time so I figured it's worth the price.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Mar 17, 2022 7:52 pm

My farrier is also very prompt or he calls/texts me if he's going to be late. No need to go to prison. Hogs my dear, Hogs. All evidence disappears in short order!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:38 pm

Moutaineer wrote:I may end up in prison for Farriercide. Though I think my defense will be strong.

Of course, he may yet turn up.

exvet wrote:My farrier is also very prompt or he calls/texts me if he's going to be late. No need to go to prison. Hogs my dear, Hogs. All evidence disappears in short order!

You guys are too funny!!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:58 pm

Got back last night from 8 very long days in Michigan trying to help my sister take over my 93 yr old mom’s finances. Mom is still very mentally sharp but her vision is going bad. She and sis are just alike and they each have their very specific ways of doing things. Not an easy transition… I needed today to recover.

The time off from riding, exercise and farm chores has been good physically. My hips don’t hurt at all. Well, almost at all. I plan to ride lightly tomorrow and see how it goes. I’ll add back my own exercise program next week and start that lightly, too.

I’m looking forward to getting back to a good training routine. It’s nice to have this thread to go back and review where I left off.

I didnt read the thread much while I was gone but tried to catch up today. Lot’s of interesting stuff going on here!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:01 am

He did show up. I explained the whole foot/abscess/torn up foot situation and he rearranged his day and moved someone else.

He's really very good and usually very reliable. He just picked a bad day...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:19 am

Moutaineer wrote:He did show up. I explained the whole foot/abscess/torn up foot situation and he rearranged his day and moved someone else.

Is Potters comfortable ? Mine got their spring shoes yesterday too

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 18, 2022 2:55 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Moutaineer wrote:He did show up. I explained the whole foot/abscess/torn up foot situation and he rearranged his day and moved someone else.

Is Potters comfortable ? Mine got their spring shoes yesterday too

He seemed pretty good, standing square and walking fine,, but I'll put him on the lunge today and tomorrow and see how he looks and feels, before I venture back into the saddle...

blob

Postby blob » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:49 pm

After a couple good days, MM's asthma flared back up noticeably yesterday. The vet was out this morning and suggested we try apoquel, which I guess has in addition to helping itchy horses has helped some horses quite a bit with allergy induced asthma as well. It's not cheap, but right now I just want to get her comfortable--she's lost so much weight and just does not look well at all. So, I will start her on the apoquel tomorrow and then start weaning her off the dex to see if the apoquel can take its place. Plan is still to re-do the allergy test and see if we can either try the shots or make environmental changes.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:39 pm

Blob, I'm sorry MM is struggling. I'd definitely have another crack at the allergy testing. But would you not have to have her off all drugs to do it? I can't remember what the protocol was for Potters.

He looked sound, happy and relaxed on the lunge today. I got Superworkingstudent to lunge him so I could watch better--and my shoulder, while vastly improved, doesn't need yanking around if someone did decide to pull a stunt on the line. He didn't though, which is a really good sign that he is comfortable (and remarkable in that there was a guy up and down a ladder and using power tools in the barn aisle right outside the doorway. He looked and scooted a couple of times, but nothing dreadful.)

I'll do it myself tomorrow, having watched him behave himself today!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:17 am

Blob...huge jingles you can get MM comfortable and back to work.

Kyra seems to be back among the sane. 2 rides ago she wasn't reactive but the go button was definitely stuck in forward. I just had a terrible time keeping her at the tempo I wanted. She was listening but not very interested in what I was saying/asking :roll: . However, I was happy to get the work I did. Even over by the chasm of death (gully full of scrub willows about 8 feet from the arena rail on the south side) with some pretty gusty winds blowing. I even tried canter, or should I say hand gallop. I was really trying to stay off her face and I didn't feel any inclination in her to really bolt or buck and I was able to ride it so that is what we went with what she was giving me.

Today was just lovely weather. About 60 degrees and calm winds. The horse...not lovely. She has been laying in her wet paddock and she must of just gotten up as when I got there. I got the sand off her girth area as best I could and saddled her anyway. I didn't even bother with the rest because it was still wet. Despite the cosmetic mess, she worked quite nicely. I have come to really like changing direction through the center of the circle...and it helps that there is enough moisture in the sand that you can readily see your patterns in a newly worked arena. That exercise really gives a lot of bending work. Canter was better and I attempted asking for a few steps of collection then forward again. I got some collection but she is still in forward mode and until I can get a bit back on her, I just don't get much finesse with the bit-less bridle. She seems quite content to lean onto the nose band and let me hold her up and I am just not into that. We finished with a nice hack up the hill. Her dental appt is now on the 29th. So we will keep working on the basics in the meantime.

Susan

blob

Postby blob » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:18 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Blob, I'm sorry MM is struggling. I'd definitely have another crack at the allergy testing. But would you not have to have her off all drugs to do it? I can't remember what the protocol was for Potters.

Yes, she'll need to be off all meds for the test, so we need to wait until taking her off is safe. Right now taking her off Dex isn't really an option.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:39 pm

I’m so sorry blob:(. Jingles you can get MM feeling better. Btw I used apoquel on my old mare Gallie who I lost last September to founder. It worked well for her itching and yes pretty expensive. But was able to wean her off within a few months. I have a few pills left over if you want me to ship them to you. My dog we had them on I lost last year too.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:42 pm

Jingles for MM, Blob. I really hope you're able to find a solution to get her happy and healthy again!

I'm not sure what Annabelle had going on yesterday. Hopefully just muscle soreness from our hard workout when I hauled her out on Wednesday. She actually warmed up beautifully, very easy to do full pass, stepped right into canter on a longer rein, etc. Then when I took up the reins to start the real work, she stepped right into a nice collected canter, went about half the arena, and started getting really fussy until I let the reins out and pushed her forward. I had an experienced barnmate watch us go and she said she maybe looked a touch tight on her RF, but not "off". We did a little more trot lateral work to hopefully loosen her up and called it a day. She was getting fussy in front when I'd shorten reins in trot too, so maybe it's teeth. Both girls are going in for dental at the end of the month, so if she continues to be fussy, I might have to make some adjustments to our work until that happens.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Mar 19, 2022 4:43 pm

Keeping fingers crossed for MM. Hopefully it will be a simple solution for Annabelle and/or a passing issue that just needs to work itself out.

Junior and I had a great lesson yesterday. With the exception of 2-3 impromptu flying changes, all big, straight and clean we focused on getting Junior to lengthen over his topline through his neck, keep his withers lifted and stay light in front. I probably had the best collected canter in our career. I think I picked the scab enough regarding is natural inclination not to bend in the rib cage on the right that when I pushed him into the outside rein both directions, demanded the bend and then gave the hand he relaxed and kept carrying through to the bit. If I can continue to replicate this I think most issues I have had with the flying changes will clear up because I will have a reliable means to supple him prior to setting up the flying change.

I got my baucher bit yesterday and tried it for the first time today on Mr. Brandon. He did great! Now I've gone through this enough times with other bits that I know this might be a honeymoon period so the jury is still out. I'm just over the moon that I've had 3 fantastic rides on Brandon in a row. Today he was offering to lengthen over his top line and seek the bit following my hands down at walk and trot without getting rude. It's like he decided to mature with this cycle of the full moon LOL. Usually I hate the full moon cycles 'cause as expected work was totally off the charts busy with far too many Cray-cray's to make it worth it this week. At least my equine life offset the stress of my professional life.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:36 pm

Jingling for MM, too. I hope you’re able to get this latest issue resolved. Maybe the change in environment when you move to the new barn will help. Sweet itch season is just around the corner unfortunately. I had to spray Emma this morning and put on her ear fly mask because the little clingy flies are out already. I have to pull the Boett sheet out today, sigh. I dont mind it this time of year while it’s still not over 80 degrees, but when it gets in the 90’s I hate to make her wear it. But, last year she did really well WRT the sweet itch and I think the Boett was the reason, so we’ll continue with it.

I had a nice ride yesterday. I was dreading getting on because I was afraid my hips would hurt. I only did 20 minutes, mostly walk and a little collected trot. The ride was nice because Rocky was so cooperative. It was like she was very happy to be ridden after 15 days off. I asked her to stand up in front right from the beginning but left my reins about an inch longer than we had been doing (so a little less demanding). After 10 minutes of walking big circles and 3 loop serptines, I walked Second Level 2. I was kind of thrilled at how she did it, especially her TOH’s. She knew exactly what we were doing and played the part like a little dancer. I was only planning on walking but she felt so good I did some collected trot. I was thrilled with her collected trot, too! It felt so correct and very comfortable to ride.

So my hips survived and I plan to do the same ride again today and for at least a week. I may be being over cautious but a re-injury could set me back even further and I don’t want that. When I am back to full work, I’ll get out the Pivo for a reality check!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Mar 19, 2022 5:41 pm

Demi, the slow ramp up is likely good for you both. No need to rush anything. I find the slower I take things the faster the progress. Despite what it might seem this has been my approach with both Brandon and Junior. My coach yesterday commented on how much a difference it has meant to the journey I've been having with each as compared to those who came before.......definitely getting older......wiser.....not so sure but my body is dictating I pay attention to what hurts and be respectful of how I push the envelope. I think my horses are happier as a result.

blob

Postby blob » Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:03 pm

Thanks to everyone for the jingles and thoughts.

Khall--I remember you had Gallie on Apoquel. If it ends up working, I will let you know and can buy some of your left over pills off of you.

Demi--I really do think the boett sheet is a miracle worker for skin allergies. And I did find that even in the hottest of hottest GA heat, MM seemed not to get too hot with it on, despite what I would have thought. Yes, she would be a bit sweaty under it, but I thinks he would have been a bit sweaty even naked on those very hot days. But she always felt cool to the touch.

Exvet--will be curious to see how Brandon does with the baucher beyond 'honeymoon phase'. I had never used one before RP, but he's been REALLY happy in it. He's probably now at a stage where he would be more accepting of other bits, but I couldn't have gotten him to this stage without the baucher. And with bits I do mostly believe in 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' so for now we'll stick with it. I also love hearing about the updates with Junior--I think the canter work you're doing with him will also be helpful for me with my two as both can get stuck/stiff in the ribcage--MM is especially sneaky because she will stay supple in the jaw and the neck while being stiff in the ribcage. RP it's harder to fall for because if he's stuck in the ribcage, he's stiff everywhere.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Mar 20, 2022 3:19 am

I have decided that my butt really does better with every-other-day riding. So, today I just threw her in the round pen for a short work. At the end I asked for some SW...at liberty. Bless her heart although she isn't lifting her feet as high as she should, she actually was walking as she lifted. The walk part has been hard to convey to her but she did it...at liberty. I am going to have to get some ground help to help establish it under saddle but I am happy with her effort. Especially since I was taking the video and cuing her at the same time. Love the tongue at the first of the video :lol: .

https://youtu.be/u0LXYK7cvdc

I don't know if I can actually call this dressage training but it's been fun.

Susan

demi

Postby demi » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:32 pm

Nice Spanish walk! My two cents is that you CAN actually call that dressage. I do almost zero ground work and sometimes wonder if I’m making a big a mistake by not teaching SW. Can I send you Rocky for a few months? :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:48 pm

That is cute Susan!
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:18 pm

SF-mikey was showing similar but more extreme symptoms and just got his teeth done, he's so much happier. Molars were sharp on both sides but more so on the left, poor boy. Upward and onward. Very good lesson for where we are last Friday and I have my homework with keeping his shoulders straight and ribcage soft and bent. Canter is so much better at this point between the saddle fitting and teeth. My instructor is going to hop on the next lesson to see what we are working with. And we can start poles lessons again so yay!!

exvet-the idea of cantering a serpentine-#goals

I have to get over the idea that we should be past this at this point. And I'm hoping to be able to hop on the schoolmaster soon again too, I've just been too busy with life which will slow down in a few weeks when my daughter moves for 6 months. More horse time!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:36 pm

Thanks Demi. I have spent soooo much time grounded due to my various infirmities that it has been ground work or nothing. I probably should have sold her about 8 years ago. I kept telling myself, if this surgery doesn't do it, I will sell her. That never happened ;) . I have been working on the SW for 2 years. I initially trained her to stomp her feet (you can see a little of that inclination in the video) so have been trying to remedy that (not what you want). If I wasn't videoing, I would have asked her to lift higher on a couple of those efforts but one can only multitask so much. I was thrilled with her forward inclination. She hasn't been doing that without prompting from the lead rope.

Yes...teeth are tricky. They seem to be fine until they are not. Kyra was fine in the fall (Nov/Dec) when I moved her. Then I put her back to work since everything thawed. Riding in the bridle elicits chomping, tension, foaming and a not very pleasant ride. With the bit-less bridle at least I have the relaxation so we can at least continue with some basic stuff. I hope a dental session helps her out. I wish it was already done. We have had to wait a month :P . The local vet situation (availability) is getting so difficult...even with small animals.

Today will be a challenging ride. A cold front came through last night and windy, windy, windy. Should be interesting :shock: .

Susan

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:32 pm

Nice, Kyra's Mom! I am now firmly in the do it on the ground camp of training this stuff. It was the only way I really got the Q's to understand lifting the knees for p/p.

I am trying to improve Quilla's now and if I use a whip when I ride she does her dramatic stops and refuses to move, and then wants to capriolle. So I do it all on the ground. My latest attempt to improve is to quicken the passage with more hock action and keep that in piaffe, which she wants to do faster anyway. This way it makes the passage easier and she can actually do it. So I do it on the ground before I get in the saddle and she always gets it really well and learns quickly. It bleeds into me asking when riding, so hopefully it bleeds into showing! (Hopefully with EHV, the lockdown actually goes away the 30th!)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 20, 2022 7:10 pm

Kyras_Mom wrote:Today will be a challenging ride. A cold front came through last night and windy, windy, windy. Should be interesting :shock: .

Susan

Yeah, I'm taking care of indoors tasks today. I was on Tesla for <10 minutes yesterday when the first storm burst hit. Tried going inside, but the wind got so strong it made the building creak, which she hates. Luckily that doesn't bother Annabelle, but by the time I got her tacked and warmed up, it had calmed down and we went outside.

She was totally fine yesterday. I'm afraid she might not be happy in the Black Country anymore. To be fair, when I bought the Patrick last year it was for her, but then Tesla hulked out and needed it. Maybe they will have to share for awhile. I got video both days and it looked like the Black Country was twisting a little to the right, but could be that it was just more obvious because the BC has silver welting and I was wearing light breeches, and the next day I was wearing dark breeches with the Patrick that has darker welting. Luckily we have an appt. with the fitter next week. I'm sure she will be more than happy to order up a new L&R to my exact specs. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:10 pm

Yup, I'm watching the black skies, and my big willow trees blowing around our there, and deciding to clear up the cat hair tumbleweeds in my house rather than riding today!

Potters looked really good on the longe yesterday, again, so I'm excited to get on him tomorrow.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 20, 2022 9:21 pm

Kyras_Mom wrote:I have decided that my butt really does better with every-other-day riding. So, today I just threw her in the round pen for a short work. At the end I asked for some SW...at liberty. Bless her heart although she isn't lifting her feet as high as she should, she actually was walking as she lifted. The walk part has been hard to convey to her but she did it...at liberty. I am going to have to get some ground help to help establish it under saddle but I am happy with her effort. Especially since I was taking the video and cuing her at the same time. Love the tongue at the first of the video :lol: .

https://youtu.be/u0LXYK7cvdc

I don't know if I can actually call this dressage training but it's been fun.

Susan

So cool!!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Mar 21, 2022 4:41 pm

SF, Tio's L&R fit him best of all the saddles I tried. Of course, with the surge panels, wide gullet etc. As you know, he is built like a Sherman tank :lol: I just get the front "fluffed up" once a year or two to keep it level.

Kyra's mom, I love tehe adorable look on her face and her beautiful soft eyes.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:43 pm

I had just the best set of rides over the weekend. The kinds of rides that keep you coming back to this sport: not necessarily that everything went well the first try, but that all of my aids got all the way through and demonstrable progress was made. Trying to bottle this feeling for when I feel like nothing is happening and we're stuck in a rut.

And! With some help from the ground, half-steps were active and trending towards on-the-spot. And! Had a massive success with a new-to-us exercise for flying changes (10 - 12m figure-8 in haunches-in, where we developed the next haunches-in before asking for the change) -- all the changes were clean and on the aids and uphill.

Queso is just the best boy, guys.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:09 pm

Trainer and I decided that a week or so of brisk walk work is what Mr P needs while his foot finishes calming down (farrier said there was still quite a lot of bruising and tenderness around the site of the abscess drain hole, we don't want to incite violence from the poor horse...)

So today, after a lunge, we walked for 35 minutes, straight lines, circles, figure 8's. Briskly and correctly, with me having my position nitpicked at. Very good for both of us and he was a good boy and had worked up some small sweat by the time we were done. So that's my life for a little while and it makes me really happy to do a bit of a reset.

Kyra's Mom, darn, she's so cute :)

Be careful what you wish for. Potters considers the Spanish Walk to be one of his more interesting and high-class evasions. I have nightmares about him breaking into it in the showring when asked for a walk/canter transition...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:46 pm

Moutaineer, Tesla does that stomping too. More when she's frustrated, or I guess, thinking. For awhile she would do it when she saw she was being lead to the mounting block. I need to find that video. I will not be surprised if she features it as part of her free walk in a test at some point. One of the kids who works at the barn said that she strikes, but I'm pretty certain she was just stomping as she does on her way out to the pasture.

Tesla is in heat and we had to have a little remedial, "yes you will accept my leg and trot" discussion yesterday. Canter just wasn't there, and there was a novice leaser in the arena who I may have traumatized with our antics. We did get some good trot work though.

Annabelle also had a "yes you will bloody well go forward" session as well. Her trot has been a little stuck, and she will fuss and brace when I pick up the reins after a walk break. Well, I'm teaching her to do sort of a roll-back reverse on the lunge line, and after seeing how athletically she could spin and rocket off, I thought no breaks under saddle today. So we had a few moments where she braced and got a spank and then sort of bucked into the canter, but after that, things go better. We did some trot poles as well, and are starting to relocate some of the power we've lost in trot. I've been thinking that would probably be our weak spot when we get back to lessons, so if I know it needs work, may as well fix it and use the lessons for stuff I can't or don't know to fix on my own.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Mar 22, 2022 3:12 pm

Kyra's mom-, such a cute video, thanks for sharing! One day I want to teach Lynx but not yet.

Ponichiwa- sounds like you are on cloud 9 with Queso. That's awesome!! It is the best feeling.

Lynx has had a really light 2 weeks. My daughter had the flu I think, so missed a solid week from school. Then immediately after, she picked up a nasty cold. Thankfully no covid. But I got the nasty cold. So trainer rode Lynx once last week and she will ride today. Other than that, he's had a vacation. But hopefully I can get back out tomorrow or Thursday.
One of my dogs also hurt his nail/paw and had a minor procedure. It's been rough dealing with, he's a bit pitiful. I think we are on the up and healing though.

I hope everyone else is healthier than us!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:29 pm

I am revelling in the spring weather. Caliburn, while being a bit of a prance and spooker is not enough to make me unhappy so we rode off around empty fields, down the busy road, and up and down sevealr hills. Then I felt just a little obligated to ride him a little dressage to finish. I was truly blessed when I picked him off Moores list. I had such a lovely ride.

So inspired I am half way through my schooling list and still feeling pretty happy about life. Most of the beasts that are turned out are sleeping in the sun. The mud is receding slightly.

Now, I am off to grab some lunch. Have a nice day everyone.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Mar 22, 2022 8:57 pm

MM has had a few days of the apoquel and it does seem to be making a difference. Plan is to do 7 days of it daily and then go to every other day and then try to see if we can space out further. It seems there hasn't been as much success in lowering the dose in trials, but a decent amount of success in spacing it out. She is still on the dex, so it's still hard to know if taking her off of that will result in an uptick in symptoms. The plan is to start tapering off the dex this week, so we will see. I also have a different vet coming out on Friday, I do feel like I need a second opinion on the right way to manage all of this in the safest way possible. I know apoquel is not without its own risks.

Over the weekend I climbed up on RP for a few rides, which went better than I thought they might given that he's had inconsistent work/time off. He was leaning some on my left leg, so had to do some work to get him to carry himself. But it does seem like slowly but surely the lateral work at the trot is getting a bit stronger and I think once he learns to do a proper shoulder-in--really stepping under--our trot lengthening will also improve a lot. I also realized all our work on c-w-c transitions have left our trot-canter transitions a bit rusty. So I need to go back to those and get them brushed up before getting back into the show ring.

I had tentatively planned to do our first show of the spring in April but with the barn move and MM being not well, I might push us out to one that is end of May instead.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Mar 23, 2022 7:11 pm

Well, despite the wind, Kyra was pretty near perfect (behaviour wise) on Sunday. It often times is not as windy at this barn. It is tucked into a valley between two pretty tall hills...we call this area the foothills. We even did our canter work on the rail near the chasm of death. It was a nice productive session that she (finally) is allowing me to dictate the tempo. Since I am having to ride with the bit-less bridle right now, I am doing a lot of bending lines. Today I did some serpentines and for her canter work, we did a large circle and at the top of the circle, transitioned to trot and did a small circle the opposite direction then back to the canter circle and back to canter. That helped her come better from behind in the C transition. I can't begin to tell you how nice it is to have nice, regularly worked footing. In other words, I am not regretting the move.

Yesterday, the wind was actually more up at the barn and less at my house so she was apprehensive of the whipping willows but worked well. It was a short ride but I actually got some nice right lead working canter. I actually had to request she speed up her hind end. Left lead was a little more ragged but not bad. She wasn't quite as balanced that direction so her 10m circle was a bit of a struggle. We ended with a ride up the road past the turnout areas. We did the steeper part twice. I want her to get some hill smarts before we tackle the open trails which I hope is soon.

I don't know where she went mentally for the last 2 weeks but am so glad she is back.

SF, I am sure the girls won't mind sharing the saddle. I need to sell my Prestige...having lost some weight and being in somewhat better fitness, I suppose I should try it once more before I get to that step since the saddle shopping sucks.

Susan

demi

Postby demi » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:55 pm

I had a nice ride today, also. The previous 3 days were unrideable due rain and then really strong winds. In fact there were 18 tornadoes in our vicinity. Fortunately, none affected our little farm. Overall there was very little damage. Today was also windy, but much less than the last 3 days. I got on wondering how my hips were going to feel, and was so happy that they felt good. No pain, and I did almost a regular workout. Mostly collected trot with the lateral stuff from the second level tests. Also the walk work from the second level. The walk work felt really good and the collected trot to halt to reinback to medium walk felt awesome! She felt so good that I did the canter serpentine with simple changes across the centerline. It wasn’t bad at all, but after the second simple change, she got strong in the bridle and I lost the collection in canter, and then in trot.

In the vein of working smarter, not harder, I should have just left canter alone today since the trot work was so good and we are still getting back to work after a 15 day break. No harm was done though (this time!) because I got the collected trot back with some strong half halts. The problem, is that using my thighs for those strong half halts is hard on my hips. Still, I finished without pain. I may take an Aleve tonight just in case…or maybe a glass of wine.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:19 pm

Been following along with everyone in the background with an increasing unhappy mare. Finally came to a head this weekend as she was squirting the aisle and confirmed today with ultrasound that she's ready to be bred. A giant, beautiful follicle that my vet said her breeding clients would die for right now. Would be nice except mare is on 14 mL dose of Regumate!!

So, she's putting in a call to a repro specialist to see what our options are from here. My answer was no if I had any straws I wanted to use for today :lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 pm

My mare Deneb is even more hormonal on regumate. I'm not sure why but it seems to fuel her follicles instead of suppressing them. Is be interested what your repro specialist says.

When I was a breeding manager we had a couple of mares why cycled every month despite being pregnant carrying and delivering a foal.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Mar 23, 2022 11:56 pm

That doesn’t give me the warm and fuzzies Chisamba! I can deal with some hormonal but poor Kora is in a good deal of pain/discomfort. Non-rideable.

She’s been maintained happily on the Regumate for quite some time, 2 years? So I’m hoping just needs a tweak or change in options. Will update with what repro specialist comes back with and with any luck we won’t be trucking for a visit. But will if asked to…

demi

Postby demi » Thu Mar 24, 2022 9:36 pm

I had another nice ride today. After the usual 10 minute walk warmup, I went right to collected canter. Walk to canter and canter to walk were both good. I still have to be careful because canter incites her to take over. I didn’t do any CC or medium canter either, for the same reason, but did do a little lengthening. I don’t think I will try CC or medium for several more rides.

What is really interesting to me, is that her canter has improved so much just by focusing on correct trot work. All the work we’ve done coming under from behind, and staying light and up in front, every step, has translated to the canter. It seems like just yesterday that I couldn’t even get a right lead canter with short reins. I need to go back and look at older posts to see exactly when that was.

I will probably trail ride tomorrow as she got trimmed this afternoon. I really like trail riding in my western saddle, but Im afraid that it might set my hips back if I use it. The main reason I like the western saddle so much it that it makes me feel like a cowgirl (cowperson :? ) and that’s fun….The smarter thing to do is use my dressage saddle. But oh, I also have the neatest weighted western reins that my BFF got for me in Abilene. And they go so well with my western saddle.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Mar 25, 2022 4:12 am

I caught up with my SafeSport training and am ready to show! I had forgotten about it till I went to the USEF so I just thought I'd remind anyone in case they forgot

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:09 pm

Potters had his teeth done yesterday. Vet was in the barn for something else, checked them while he was there and declared them in need, had his tools and the time, so there we are!

So I probably won't get to ride today. I'll lunge and see how he's feeling.

Good reminder Chisamba. Must get that done!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Mar 26, 2022 2:48 am

I had my first lesson on Piggy today since his laminitic flare. He hasn't take a lame step in the last 2 weeks! Good news is that his xrays show that he didn't have any rotation from this episode. Now I am weaning him off of metformin and anxiously awaiting the farrier next week so I can ditch the boots and pads.
And my new saddle arrived!!! I got a WOW. It is not perfect but it does some amazing things for me for where I'm at. The best that I can describe is that it divorces my seat from anything that is going on in front of his withers so I don't get thrown out of balance. Right now in it, I prefer to sit the trot rather than post since it's so easy to sit. And I can now influence his canter instead of feeling like I'm holding on for dear life. And the dear boy is offering to stretch. I'm getting stretchy free walk and trot out of him. This is a big deal for him. I am so thrilled. Hopefully this isn't a phase of him saying "I like the change and now I don't"
EHV is still an issue here in California so I don't know what the April show schedule will be. Probably nothing for us since I have some family obligations that take precedence.

demi

Postby demi » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:34 pm

Great news, Goldhorse. Im glad to hear there was no more rotation. Im looking forward to your progress reports on Piggy’s dressage. And hopefully lots of pics and vids!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:51 pm

I did SafeSport a few weeks ago when the weather was nasty, but I don't think I'll be showing for a couple months. We'll see.

Tesla and I had a really tough ride on Wednesday after warming up nicely on the lunge. When I came out on Thursday she was not wanting to move on the lunge, but warmed up out of it. The little sarcoid on her chest had returned this winter, and I'd treated it with XXterra, but wasn't expecting to see the tumor slough off yet - well, it was sloughing, and I think causing some irritation in the meantime. Yesterday she looked a little puffy in the chest, but warmed up and was moving nicely on the lunge line. I might just give her a few days off from riding though. We have a vet appt on Tuesday for teeth and shots, so she'll probably just have a week + off then we'll get going again.

In the meantime, I've been obsessing over boots because my Mt. Horse polo boots are showing some wear, and my Petrie's have always been a bit short and tight (they tell on my every time I gain a pound). I've wanted blue boots for ages, and found a pair of navy patent Celeris boots with laces ready made at a discount, so I've got a nice present on the way from Germany. :mrgreen: I'm feeling a little bashful about prancing around in patent boots, but hopefully they won't be too over the top since they don't have any rhinestones or contrasting trim or anything.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Mar 27, 2022 4:39 pm

my nod to the new dressing rules will be to wear dark pants, but maybe i will stand out for being plain, lmao

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 27, 2022 5:45 pm

Annabelle started out really heavy in the bridle yesterday, and most of the ride was about "no, I don't wish to carry your head and neck for you" but we finally got some good work. I had a lightbulb moment really focusing on the feeling in each seatbone while circling - at the bottom of each stride I'd check that I could feel my outside seatbone touch down into the saddle, and that my inside leg and outside rein were also connected, then check that if I wanted, I could achieve an equal feeling into my inside seatbone on any stride to make sure I wasn't getting crooked or tightening up my glutes on the inside.

At the end of the ride we got just a few strides of the lovely, round canter that we'd achieved last time we hauled out. This is what we need to build on to get to 2nd level, I think. I'm guessing it will take at least six months to get to the point where we can produce this consistently, but it's nice to get the first glimpses of it. Sadly my SoloShot decided zooming was too much work about halfway through the session, so the photo is grainy and doesn't show our on-point matchy-match. :D
Attachments
326 Getting rounder.jpg
326 Getting rounder.jpg (79.39 KiB) Viewed 6787 times
Keep calm and canter on.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:00 pm

Looking good, SF. That canter pic looks so familiar to Rocky’s. With Rocky, I spent forever (way too long, I know….) not even asking for that much self carriage. Now that she seems to have it consistently, though, a lot of other things are coming surprisingly easily. The difficult right lead became easier than the left. And, she was suddenly able to counter canter. Walk canter walk, became much easier, as did canter trot canter. She still tries to take over sometimes, and rebalance herself to her own liking, but it only takes some strong halfhalt reminders to get her back. And even though I have more to work with now, I still need to smooth things out. With R, I don’t think its a strenght issue any more, but more of an understanding issue.

Time to go ride. It was 91 degrees yesterday. I have to start switching to early morning riding mode. I am determined to get through this summer without taking any time off due to the extreme heat.

PS SF, the blue patent boots sound lovely!!! (Maybe just dont prance :lol: )

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Mar 27, 2022 7:40 pm

demi wrote:PS SF, the blue patent boots sound lovely!!! (Maybe just dont prance :lol: )

I'm not sure if one can NOT prance in blue patent boots. :lol: My barn is more of a paddock boots and half chaps kind of place, so I'm already a little fancy for wearing tall bots.

When I cliniced with Carrie Harnden she was saying, that QH rear end can carry, but she has to learn to get her BUTT DOWN! Folding all those joints is a challenge, but I hope you are right that it will get easier once the understanding is there. Carrie will be here again in May, so I'm hoping to ride with her again and we'll see how much difference she sees from 1.5 years ago.
Keep calm and canter on.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 28, 2022 3:01 am

I'm in San Antonio for a few days checking out neighborhoods and barns. So far we have one barn that's fully dressage, but fairly flexible in terms of what each horse needs. So Maia requiring soaked grain didn't even get a raised brow. And the BO has another boarder who lives out 24/7, so Maia would have company if that works better (it will). But, dressage only, an older population, and a trek.

The next barn is an eventing facility everyone has recommended. Turnout is 30'x80' paddocks for 4 hours, no buddies, no pasture, no chance to r-u-n. They are in stalls the rest of the time with 12'x20' pole runs. Maia would wreck herself.

It's an obvious choice right now, but I was so hoping to be at a place we could ride out and jump immediately /sigh

Return to “Dressage Training”