Looking forward to looking forward - March/April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Looking forward to looking forward - March/April Goals and Progress

Postby blob » Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:37 pm

Heddy--having just gone through the barn search process I very much understand this struggle. At the dressage barn is there the option to ride in pastures? So that you at least have out of the arena riding space?

demi

Postby demi » Mon Mar 28, 2022 2:37 pm

Good luck Heddy! I somehow missed that you were moving to Texas. Boy howdy! It will be a change from Maryland (Ive lived in both) but Texas has some nice advantages. Like no state income tax. Makes filing a lot easier. And San Antonio has some wonderful places to eat!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:16 pm

@Blob Yes, we can ride out in the dressage fields! She doesn't have a ton, but she does have some. If I go that way, I'll also inquire about bringing in 4x rail-only jumps, so we can train. She seems open to the idea.

I'm loving the vegan food scene here, @Demi! We've got a friend who's a chef down town, and he's been telling me that June/July won't be too late to start a raised bed vegetable garden. Climate and horse-keeping wise it seems very similar to southern CA, so not at all unfamiliar to me, but spouse and the current equines never lived there.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:02 pm

Super Cedar clinic! Got homework for the next weeks until she comes back in June.
For Joplin work on the piaffe more forward in hand wait until Cedar is back to try it US again. Keep at the HI at the canter CC and the many exercises we did to help Joplin improve. Will come back and post them

Gaila keep at piaffe US and CC and HI at canter and the other exercises for her.

Ride out in the fields some.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 590&type=3

I think Joplin can elevate in the front end!

Asking forward piaffe
https://www.facebook.com/keri.hall.35/v ... 824589459/?

All had wonderful learning experience and good take home exercises. So enjoy working with Cedar!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Mar 29, 2022 2:11 am

khall...Joplin looks good 8-) .

I have been having some nice rides on Kyra. The last one was a bit cautious on my part due to the presence of many deer on the hillsides on both sides of the arena :shock: . I knew she sensed something before I even got on her. I tend to believe her when her radar goes into high gear but she is otherwise calm. That said, she was good. The deer were moving up to and across the road and their trail is right at the end of the smaller arena that is at the end of the large one where we were. Her head went up and I let her watch them as long as she was reasonably relaxed with feet planted.

We stuck to the north side of the arena making us a skinny dressage court...probably about 15m wide. I have come to like doing warm up with bow ties. After I have done 4-6 sets of those at walk, I start asking for LY from the half circle back to the rail. After a couple sets of those we do a couple sets at trot. By then, she is nicely supple and bendy and she is ready to go to work. With so many deer in the neighborhood, we just stuck to some lateral work in walk and some trot circles going down to 10m from the 15 then back out again. I also was able to get some nice rubber band work at trot with her mostly staying in front of my leg. I didn't even attempt canter as she was scanning the bushes for the deer. I didn't get much sleep and just wasn't going to push anything. I am still having hip issues and I have no desire to eat sand (luckily, riding doesn't bother my hip at all).

Finally, tomorrow is dental day. I hope that solves the bit issues so I can get her back in the bridle. I can't complain, since her brains found their way back, she has been working quite nicely in the bitless but I just feel I can get much more finesse with a bit. She will be getting vaccinations also so she is going to have a light week which is fine because I have appointments out the wazoo this week plus she gets trimmed on Thursday. However, we might mess around with some ground work and in the round pen. I have been watching some cowboy dude on Youtube named Ryan Rose. I really like his approach. he is very quiet in his work and waits for the horse to figure it out. The video I watched today was a really different take on how to do liberty work so I may try a few things this week while she is getting over all her various work this week.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:07 am

I'm worried about my trainer. She's having some major health issues of an as yet undefined nature.

So, it appears I'm on my own for a bit. With background help from the now very overstretched assistant trainer and superworkinstudent. I really can't lunge yet due to the shoulder, which is improving, but I dont need to push it.

I guess I will just have to get back in the saddle and work it out. I did ride today, which was good for body and soul.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:42 pm

Moutaineer I send jingles for your trainer.

Here I am shivering miserably. Somehow cold feels colder when it's spring and we have had warm days. Blankets back on everyone, breaking ice in water troughs, and long underwear. Whine whine whine.

My horses are back in their shoes so real work has begun

demi

Postby demi » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:17 am

I got 5 days of good work in a row, and then seriously high winds and the horse dentist disrupted things. The 5 days started out really good, but by day 5, she was asking me if I was sure she had to stay up in front. I am now thinking that she still does need to develop more strength, and that it’s not simply a matter of her learning exactly what I want and that I want that carriage ALL of the time. I am still doing at least one trail day a week where I let her go on a longish rein. We just walk, and even tho the longer rein allows her to carry her head lower, she still has to work her hind quarters on the hill. I can feel the extra effort she has to put in to go up the hill.

Anyway, today was the dentist and she’ll have a day or two off. That’s good timing because the wind will still be high tomorrow.

I hope Kyra’s dental went well. Susan, your bit less riding interests me, and I may have to get one.

Mountaineer, i’ve been wondering that if you just did walk work, or very low level stuff while your trainer is out of commission that you might be less likely to re-injure your shoulder? I’m finding that good walk work has a very good affect on the other gaits when I go back to them. As I figure out how to do it, it has become quite satisfying. The focus becomes more on “in front of the legs” and less on forward. And because every single step is in front of my legs, when I do ask for more forward, it’s right there. It seems to be having a nice affect on medium trot.

On the stranger side of dressage, I got interested in the trial today. I’ll probably watch some more tomorrow since I can’t ride.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:24 am

Demi, I think that's pretty much what we will be doing. (Though we did break out a couple of trot circles in each direction today, which felt good.) Our focus is on relaxing my hips, getting his back swinging through and developing those muscles just behind the saddle.

(As there are actually a couple of us working on this, there are a few jokes about "hooker hips" floating around the arena--I reckon we can probably reproduce this movement more easily if we are wearing Horze breeches...I think we've scandalized superworkingstudent, who has recently returned from his Mormon mission, and probably isn't quite used to a bunch of cackling older ladies cracking rude jokes.)

I think I've hit a bit of a perfect storm with the shoulder business, Potters having a meltdown because his abscessing foot hurt, training being on again, off again, what with the abscess, trainer being unwell, me being out of town, and the weather. My confidence has really taken a major ding and I need to take a deep breath and get myself back together again.

I know I'm a competent rider, I know Potters is not out to get me (really not, he's not got a mean bone in his body, he's just quick and expressive, but frankly he's FAR safer than Laddie was) and I really can handle whatever he happens to throw at me, but I feel stupidly fragile and vulnerable at the moment, which is hard on him, as he has no idea what the heck is going on when I park my little ball of tension self on him.

So, March has sucked, big time. Time to put it behind us and move on, I think.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:42 pm

I do appreciate your updates, including folks working through horse and rider challenges. The hobby is a lot like life!

In that vein, Emi and I are now letting go of the reins. She has torn a gracilis muscle in her hind (? how; maybe it was a microtear that turned into a full tear via a slip in turnout). Focus now is on her healing. We might get to very gentle work again one day, we might not. She's earned a great retirement for sure!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:46 pm

Oh no Piedmont! I'm sorry to hear that after she was coming back so well from her injury. :(
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:50 pm

I'm really sorry to see this, Piedmont! You are such a good horseowner and you've done so much right by her.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Mar 30, 2022 3:50 pm

So sorry piedmontfields. You have worked so hard on her rehab but when it comes down to it, they are so fragile. Jingles for it to heal up so you can at least enjoy a stroll around the fields.

Mountaineer...you and me both ( on the fragility and vulnerability). My body hasn't been right in so long. And it isn't like I just sit around and do nothing.
My hip issues improved for about 3 weeks post bursa injection and with PT then I don't know what I did but it got irritated again. Not as bad as before but it is very frustrating being so painful trying to walk stairs or uphill. Of course I move my horse to a stable on a hillside and the turnouts are UP the hill.
Monday, I got another injection to try one more time before we resort to expensive diagnostics to check for an actual tear. It feels better and I need to start my exercises again now that the post-injection ouch has subsided. It has been 6 months since this started and I am so over it. The upside (?) is that it doesn't bother me to ride my horse. That said, my butt/tailbone area is not enthused with me riding more. It isn't terrible but I have to watch it so I don't regret it for the rest of the day. After Kyra's mostly week off for dental, vacs and trimming, I am going back to my every-other-day schedule for saddle time and will fill in the rest with ground work, long reining, etc. It is just what it is. Still happier on top of the horse so I am not going to quit.

Kyra finally got her dental work done. :shock: That molar that she lost a slab off of a few years ago completely disintegrated the remainder that was above the gumline. I have no idea when that happened. The vet that did her teeth the last couple years didn't say anything when she did them. The root didn't seem to be compromised so he said to keep an eye on it and up the frequency of her dental exams to about every 8 months. That is what I was thinking because she started getting fussy about the bit when I put her back to work in early February. The vet deemed her chunky. That is the one downside of alfalfa hay. It doesn't take much. I am searching for some low sugar grass hay to hang a net when I go out for her to have more chew time but it is certainly the wrong time of year for searching out grass hay. With our horrid water situation it may not be easy to find at all this year. I do take a couple cups of timothy or teff pellets out to eat with her Outlast before I work her but yeah, that lasts about 10-15 minutes. At least I am working her several days per week so that should help the weight situation. She has been shedding like crazy for a couple weeks and is starting to look like a proper horse instead of a yak.

I will try our regular bridle again when I get back on on Friday or Saturday. Fingers crossed she is more comfortable in the mouth.

Susan

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Mar 30, 2022 6:11 pm

Jingles for Pf's Emi, Moutaineer's trainer, and Chisamba's freezing!

I actually rode like 4 times last week, culminating in working all 3 on Saturday! Sunday I had a blinding (not just annoying) migraine and could not gin up the energy to tack up, let alone ride even though I really, really wanted to. Anyway, all the horses are hale and hearty and just plane ol' fun to ride. I couldn't canter Tio cuz his feet were too long and I am afraid of him tripping again. Shoer came out yesterday and trimmed everyone for me so yay!

Now a full 18 months on my lovely hilly pasture, Rabbit has blossomed into a quite nice little riding horse. She no longer feels wobbly under me, no longer drags her toes and did not stumble once during lunging or riding. I was concerned she was unsound when I got her, but now I'm thinking she was "just" profoundly weak from too much confinement. I suspect the last year of my friend's life was definitely NOT good for her or her animals. :cry:

Rudy popped some pretty nice flying changes for me on Saturday, btw 8-) so that was fun! I'm just trying to keep a nice quiet seat and just focusing on the basics right now. Rudy, otoh, keeps offering to do more, so every once in awhile I go ahead and ask for higher level stuff. Returning from a ride out, I asked for and received, some very nice half steps straight down the centerline of the road. Very, very close to actual piaffe. I think we only traveled forward 4m with 15 steps so pretty good I'd say. Pretty good sit, very "full" in front (as in just in front of and just behind the withers), reaching up into my hand. One of these days, maybe my friend will return my Pivo and I can video and see what's really happening.

Anyways, just though I'd pop in and say "Hi"

demi

Postby demi » Wed Mar 30, 2022 7:36 pm

Sorry to hear about Emi. I know she’ll be fine because you take such good care of her, but it must be disappointing for you to have to “let go of the reins” at this point. I’m guessing that when one door closes, another will open. You’ve learned a lot from Emi and it might be exciting to pick up another set of reins and try your stuff :)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:08 pm

Well, the instructor I've been working with since Annabelle was four has been in a bit of limbo since Lilo sold her farm. She just announced that she has been invited to go work with Joh Hinneman and will be moving her horses in a few weeks. I'm excited for her, and she says she'll still be traveling for clinics, but I'm thinking I'll need to line up lessons with someone local pretty soon. At least there are a few viable options - one might come to my barn, which would be a huge plus. Maybe I will try them all and see what fits best. Hmm.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:12 am

Quick update, life is happening too fast right now. I'm feeling all your struggles and adjustments and rehab and the weather woes-gosh, really done with the wind and looking forward to sunnier calmer days. Maybe in a month? :lol:

I had by last week with the wind and weather and such and we buckled down on our connection and moving off the leg and I now have a solid horse under me. I'm so pleased with where he is right now. So excited for my lesson today and for my instructor to see what we've done in the past 2 weeks. She's going to hop on him today to see what we have going on, yay!!

And we got the all clear for normal turnout last night at our recheck. So fingers crossed that everyone stays calm.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Apr 01, 2022 1:40 pm

Piedmontfields- I'm sorry about Emi. That's a real bummer. I hope she heals and gets comfortable. You are doing right by her with whatever you choose.

Mountaineer, no time at the walk is ever wasted. Once a week, I've been trying to incorporate a walk only ride on Lynx. He really enjoys it I think.

Sue B- sounds like things are going really well. How fun with the flying lead changes.

SF- I hope you find an instructor that will be a great fit for you guys. It's always a little nerve-wracking finding the right one but sometimes it can be a good thing for us.

Chantel, glad Mikey is doing so well!!

I did a walk only ride on Lynx yesterday, after a quick lunge (he had two days off,) I was really limited on time but I was able to work on our halts, being reactive off the leg, some leg yields and shoulder in. Today I have a dressage lesson, yay!

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:41 am

Jingles for all the horses and people with issues. I hope that spring and better weather will turn things around.

i had a great lesson on Tuesday and then Piggy was stiff and sore for the next 2 days. So I guess we overdid it and his feet couldn't take the concussion. I iced him and started Equioxx. Today he was great. Funny how NSAIDS can take away the discomfort. I wished they worked as well on me. My knees are killing me. My right knee was replaced about 5 years ago and it's starting to be achy. And my left knee is complaining loudly. I hope and pray that it's not asking for a replacement.

Anyway, after some NSAIDS and icing and wearing boots, Piggy was raring to go today for our lesson which we kept light. First we were in the dressage court and I looked up and there was a huge drilling machine making a hole for a post on the adjacent property. So we moved to another arena (there are 4). We were trotting along in that arena trying to avoid the hornets and suddenly a huge branch came down from a tree that was being trimmed. Piggy applied the brakes and I took a deep breath. The worker had a look on his face of OOPS!. So we moved to the 3rd arena which had a road crew next to it. That was acceptable and reminded me that stuff comes up, especially at shows, and you have to deal with it. So long as it's not overwhelming. We worked on walk-canter transitions. That's way above our pay grade but it was to get me to focus on not leaning forward during the transition. The little stinker, as my mother would say, quickly figured out what was going on and it became now?, do you want to canter now? how about now? or how about now? You did move your seat bone so it must have meant NOW. So I had to abort multiple times and regroup and soften my aids until we got a proper transition. Anyway, it was nice to have the old Piggy back. He must have heard about the other palomino Morgan that just hit the market and checks all of my boxes. I DO NOT NEED A THIRD HORSE :D

Tomorrow and Sunday is a clinic with Erica Poseley on rider biomechanics.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:49 am

piedmontfields wrote:I do appreciate your updates, including folks working through horse and rider challenges. The hobby is a lot like life!

In that vein, Emi and I are now letting go of the reins. She has torn a gracilis muscle in her hind (? how; maybe it was a microtear that turned into a full tear via a slip in turnout). Focus now is on her healing. We might get to very gentle work again one day, we might not. She's earned a great retirement for sure!

Why is this a retirement issue? Just asking because both horses I know who had this returned to full work. I guess there must be a range seriousness of tears. I am sorry to hear it.
The ones I had knew did it galloping. Lots of hand walking to counteract scar tissue shortening the gait. Cold hose and gentle stretching after the worst inflammation had eased. I guess you had an ultrasound. Gosh how sad.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Apr 02, 2022 11:15 am

StraightForward wrote:Well, the instructor I've been working with since Annabelle was four has been in a bit of limbo since Lilo sold her farm. She just announced that she has been invited to go work with Joh Hinneman and will be moving her horses in a few weeks. I'm excited for her, and she says she'll still be traveling for clinics, but I'm thinking I'll need to line up lessons with someone local pretty soon. At least there are a few viable options - one might come to my barn, which would be a huge plus. Maybe I will try them all and see what fits best. Hmm.

JOHANN won the bronze back in those years when I was dumb enough to think I could go to the Olympics from South Africa. Anyway I watched whatever I could see if the top riders. He had an unusual way of holding his whip so that about six inches of it was visible above his hand. I thought it was because he trained Udeaal his horse with an upright whip, classical style, and he wanted the horse to see it, but it was probably because he didn't want to use it accidentally lol

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:36 pm

Commiserating with those who have been dealing with some of the more challenging aspects of horse health management. I woke up yesterday morning and hustled out to take care of the critters before my farrier arrived only to find that the patterns in the sand in my arena clearly was evidence of all-out war that had broken out between Junior and Brandon. My farrier noted that Junior was irritable and wondered why. I pointed to the arena and he was amazed that Junior didn't have any "new" marks on him but he was clearly fatigued. Brandon on the other hand had swelling and soreness in his left hind cannon and fetlock.............grrrrr...........which I'm sure he earned. I've been noticing that as he's been putting on weight and filling out he's becoming more and more of a bully. So Brandon got the day off as a result of his boo-boos. I took Junior later in the day to a lesson which kept them separated from each other for several hours. Thankfully he was not only sound but we ran through third level 1 & 2 and he did pretty well. Junior was exhausted so last night was 'quiet'. I'm going to have to watch these two to see if they can settle their positions and come to some sort of agreement or if I'm going to have to separate them which means alternating their turn out (one in during the day and the other one in during the night) which I hate to do since I'm a huge advocate of 24/7 turn out.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:12 pm

Goldhorse, enjoy the clinic! I'm jealous. I'm so in need of a biomechanics tune up from somebody that specifically works in the area. I hope you will report back afterwards.

Exvet, geldings!! I've noticed Lynx has gotten cockier lately. He doesn't have teething as an excuse anymore for any nippy behavior (not that I ever let it slide.) And I will say that the boys and turn up can play really rough. Although it does sound like junior and Brandon are doing a little more than just play! Hopefully they will work it out.

I had a dressage lesson after barely riding the last two weeks from sickness and stuff. There is some victories- We easily use the whole arena which a few weeks ago was not easy as he was so spooky. Not to say that he didn't look and want to spook it some things but he was more easily talked out of it. And we had some really great haunches in work. We're just trying to use lateral work to strengthen that stifle as well as supple him. And I will say his trot afterwards was much better. I also had some pretty good leg yields which is actually the harder of all lateral work for me lol.

The low point was out canter transitions. As soon as I would sit the trot, Lynx would anticipate. He was throwing his head up in the air and trying to rush off into the canter like a praying mantis flying through the air. We have definitely gotten into a rut with the canter, and so much of it is really my fault. When things go sideways I tense up and sometimes hold or worse, pull! Once we get into the canter it's great. But man I need to get control over myself! I think when he went through his ultra spooky phase, I lost a little trust.

We also noticed that when I first get on or really the first transition to trot he gives me a bit of attitude. Then once I tell him I'm serious he is very light to the aids. But my Dressage trainer was saying that he doesn't really do that for her... She thinks that maybe I'm actually using uneven pressure in my aids and asking more with my right leg. And I do now at one point he was trying to give me hunches in because I was sitting a little bit to one side.

The good news is that he is a lot more sensitive than he can come off. The bad news is I need to figure out my position in my body. I've been working hard in my position and I do think if I'm really conscious a lot of things are better but it kind of feels like there is a bunch of little fires that I need to put out in various parts of my body.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:14 pm

Interesting Chisamba. He has been up here for clinics a couple times, but I think I had a conflict so I couldn't audit. Instructor's mom and aunt live nearby, so I'm sure she'll be up here and do some lessons at least 1-2x this summer, so it will be interesting to see if anything changes with her teaching. The instructor who brings Carrie in for clinics is at a new barn and can do haul-in lessons, so I am going to give her a try first. At a minimum, Annabelle will have a chance to get used to the place before the clinic. The instructor who might be able to come to us is German and seems to work mostly with warmbloods, so I am thinking she could be helpful with Tesla, but I am not sure how she would do with working with a QH.

Exvet, I hope the boys can manage to squash their beef and get over themselves. Sheesh!

Both girls got their saddles checked on Monday, and dentals and shots on Tuesday. Tesla's back was way more symmetrical than when she was checked in October, so we were able to go down to just one full shim on the right side. She was up to about 4cm bigger in some of her tracings since she has filled out so much. Annabelle is also getting really close to symmetrical as well. Luckily T is still fitting the Patrick, and A is fitting in the Black Country nicely, so there is hope that we can get through the year at least with what we have. A new saddle might be on the horizon for T next year if she pops some withers as the Patrick is on their cob tree and doesn't offer loads of clearance.

I rode Tesla yesterday for the first time since her terrible ride last Wednesday. I'd treated a small sarcoid on her chest with Xxterra, and didn't realize that it was starting to slough off; I think that had been irritating her. Anyway, yesterday she was a little sticky, but eventually got with the program and we worked on adjustability in the trot and trying to find an elastic contact. At one point she popped into canter of her own volition, but then squealed and kicked out sideways and broke, so we just went back to the trot work. I think I'll stick with the trot adjustability and yielding off both legs for the next week, and then see if she is more amenable to cantering again.

With Annabelle, I'm working on better voltes, and asking for a bit of medium trot between voltes up the long side. Also just trying to polish the little holes we have like shifting the hips to much in the W/C/W transitions, improving halts and RB. I feel like we could ride 2-1 pretty OK right now, but have a fair bit of work ahead to be able to ride 2-2 and 2-3 nicely.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Apr 03, 2022 6:51 am

I got back on Kyra today for the first time since her dental work. She worked OK but was still fussier with the bit than I would like although improved from last month. She was still pretty foamy which is not normal for her. That said, she was very obedient despite some random loud noise that was from further down the valley from the barn. She surely wanted to know what was causing that. However, she listened to me and we just had a short ride and worked on basics. Just 'cuz, tonight I ordered a titanium bit for her . It was on sale by quite a bit so I couldn't say no :oops: :P . It will be interesting to try. I wish it was only 12mm but her size was 14mm. It should be OK. All in all, a nice ride since she has had nearly a week off. I didn't even lunge her first. I will see how she does in the PeeWee tomorrow. I rode her in the Neue Schule today.

I also am trying a different half pad. I had her in a Thinline Trifecta with a couple shims in the back to help balance out my treeless saddle. It caused it to bridge quite a bit. I didn't like so much pressure on her shoulders and lumbar area. I got a Acavallo rear riser. Her pad does show more even dirt...we have plenty of that. I brushed and brushed and got a good gallon of hair off of her but it didn't affect the dirt much...she still has a bunch of hair to try and get the dirt out of. Our brushing just kind of moves it around.

On the weight-loss front, I am down 17 lbs so am very happy about that.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:47 pm

Congratulations Susan. Well done

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:41 pm

Way to go, Kyra's mom for the good ride and weight loss!

SF- sounds like good work with Annebelle! I've been continuing the feldenkrais on your recommendation and I do think it's making a difference! If from nothing else but more awareness.

I had a lesson in my new jumping saddle and did some trot poles for the first time in 2 months! I think Lynx really enjoyed it. And we had our best Canter transitions in a while. They still are far from pretty but they happened. I think he's getting more particular about the aids so it's up to me to ride better and be more symmetrical in my own body.

Then I took them out and rode him outside just around the barn along the lane. I've only done this with a ground person so it was my first time solo but he was good. It's definitely good to get outside. We rode inside only because they were doing a hunter jumper show outside, although not huge numbers.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:06 pm

Congrats Susan, SF and LPS. Sounds like lots of accomplishments and progress. I rode Junior in the arena this morning with our upcoming show in mind. Poor guy, I was simply not going to accept anything but correct transitions. We actually had a pretty good ride and I think I'm working out how to get the proper collection yet forward through the change when we go to make an INTENDED flying change. He also gave me some pretty awesome, with plenty of elevation up through the shoulders/withers, medium trot. My hope is that if we don't make too many mistakes his medium and extended gaits will elevate our usual gait score of a 6 (due to our walk) to a 7. We'll see :)

I took Brandon out on the trail with my SO riding Ace. It was a breezy but otherwise very nice day. Brandon was rooting some but otherwise he was really marching along and coming over his back which I was happy with for the most part. He was also very good and properly responsive/obedient when we crossed paths with a rather large diamondback who was moving along at a decent clip across the trail. Ace of course already knew what to do. I love this time of year and then I don't :roll:

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:43 am

I decided that most times when I don't ride, I will long rein her. We did that today since I rode yesterday and she looked soooo good. I was very happy. Lovely self carriage, lovely transitions...threw in some walk SI and some half steps. It is so nice to actually be able to walk in the arena not fearing my next step will blow out the tendon repairs in my feet. We had a pristine arena to work with today. She was steadier in the bridle today so hopefully, her mouth is settling down post dental.
I don't like side reins and figured that long reining will get us some more correct, connected work than our usual "casual" lunging although we will still throw in some of those just because it is casual ;) . I believe you have to back off once and awhile and let them be them and express themselves. Especially since she doesn't have the space to move that she had before.

She was moving very nicely today. I won't say she was tender post-trim but just a little tentative in her movement after the trim. Due to the different conditions, her feet have expanded just a bit (which is a good thing for Ms. Itty Bitty feet) but I have had a heck of a time getting her front boots on. I brought them home and hope I got them expanded a bit. She has great horn quality but sand, especially dry sand is fairly abrasive so I will ride her in her boots. It seems like I need to start using them earlier in the year and longer in the fall. Damned drought(s). I am not anti shoes...frankly, she was a bitch to shoe and she has been BF since she was 6. Maybe she would tolerate it now but she might need sedation. With farrier prices now, I am just going to get by with the boots which are a much cheaper alternative. If I ever get back to showing her, she would be fine at the show venues BF.

So nice to be able to get a bit more serious about training again 8-) .

Susan

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:49 pm

Piedmontfields, I am so sorry to hear this about Emi. I know how hard this can be. But I am glad you are able to give her the retirement she deserves.

Great to see all the updates of others who are working and making progress, when my riding stuff is a bit slow, it's energizing and great to see what others are doing.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:13 pm

Finally got to a 2nd show this year. Because we were on lockdown for EHV until the 31st it ended up being really small despite all of the cancelled shows and it being Osinski. They needed temp. checks for two weeks prior recorded, so that's probably why.

I didn't sleep much the night before because, you know, menopause sucks, so maybe not my best shows. Pretty much all of the errors in tempi changes were me forgetting to count. Both girls were pretty good. I have been working with both on being quicker, literally quicker steps, in everything for balance. Quinn was quiet and I was happy with her. 63% at both PSG and I-1 and won the PSG (definitely competitive) class and got a gift certificate and new saddle pad. Quilla was mostly quiet except for stopping for about 10 seconds in the piaffe in the GP and was 63% in the I-2 and won the class and 60% in the GP with the stop (and me not counting!) So happy. I was so tired I haven't looked at the videos or tests yet.

Sunday was a super short day ending at 12:30 and I was scribing for Mike and we had a great time gossiping about everything. I asked him if he was the one next on list to be an O judge, and he basically said yes because he agreed when they started pointing him in that direction. He's also on the test writing committee, so we were talking a lot about that. One of the things they really have to clarify is contact and what that is. He said that even at training and intro., you have to have contact with the bit (we had a little kid who must have been 6 doing T-1, but he had to give 5.5 most of the time because her reins were loose) and then go from there to actually giving in the poll and on the bit. He was also talking about how horrible a place Florida is for horses and he has no clue why they have made that the dressage epicenter. I know when I visited how insanely expensive it was as well as bugs and heat, and he was talking about how the grass just slices up their legs and the problems with infections, the sandy soil, and how many of the horses have all kinds of crap on their feet as shoes because they are basically rotting off.

I guess I'll do the AA champs with Quinn because it will be in Woodside end of July, which is close and located on the peninsula between the bay and ocean, so no real issues with heat or smoke. Since they don't have AA I-2 and GP at them (sucks!) I can't do Quilla. Probably one more close one beginning of July. I don't know I'm even going to to to show in August or Sept. because it's just been hot and smokey every year here. And since we've been been sunny and dry since Dec., with one day of OK rain, we are in for another super scary year of drought and fires. I'll probably for sure do an Oct show which will count for champs next year. (I won't go this year because I can't afford to go to LA.)

I hope everyone doing well. Man, reading more EHV cases popping up all over the country. So sick of plagues. Gaia is mad.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:20 pm

Congrats on the successful show, Tanga!

piedmontfields wrote:I do appreciate your updates, including folks working through horse and rider challenges. The hobby is a lot like life!

Oh, no, so sorry to hear this. It's hard stepping back when you have a great horse, but good for you for recognizing when it's time. Are you re-filling the equine pipeline for your next dressage horse?

As for me... well, Queso is once again too tolerant for his own good. My late-60s dad has aspirations to drive a horse in a local parade next February, and between mine/my sister's/my mom's herd of horses, Queso is the best fit for his goals. So I spent a day this weekend teaching Queso to ground-drive and graduated to carrying PVC poles to mimic shafts. It was a complete non-event.

Outside of that, he's been a superstar just plugging away at the increased elevation and connection we need for that 2nd-going-on-3rd-level work. Changes are now clean 90% of the time, unless I go into them with too little power. And he's got the start of the world's cutest piaffe (no offense to all you others doing half-steps and piaffe but Queso is adorable).

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:43 pm

Ponichiwa-Queso is too cute for words, I love this. And I love that you are doing this for your dad.

Lipsmackerpony-you sound like you are having a blast with your horse, and doing so well. More pics!!

exvet-boys will be boys, hope they stay in one piece. You are doing so well with them!

Way to go Kyra's Mom! And I have a front riser and a regular acavallo pad. My saddle fitter loves them, but more importantly, so does my horse.

Jingles for everyone else with horse issues, health issues, and equipment stuff.

Gosh, we have had the saddle fitted, changed bits, switched to a PS of Sweden Pioneer bridle (he loves it), and have gotten on a much better track. Working on the contact and round from the outside rein, consistent and giving at times on the inside rein and wow, he's a different horse. My instructor was happy when she hopped on him last week, better than she expected, but she only comes every 2 weeks so we have been getting a lot done in between just coming back into fitness and getting back to where we were. I am very pleased with him right now. And he is loving being back out with his buddies and eating grass, well okay, mostly eating grass.

I got to audit part of a Gary Rockwell clinic this past weekend and loved it. Only 3 rides (one my instructor), but wow. I really like him. From the mouth of the judge to our ears...

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:10 am

Some day I will ride again /sigh

I had surgery on March 15 that was supposed to finally resolve a congenital defect (40+ years later :roll: ), and am now dealing with unexpected repercussions that may result in further surgery /sigh

AND we're in the midst of moving, putting the house on the market, arranging movers, finding a rental, planning a memorial on the other side coast for my grandparent, etc, etc. I'm so very glad my hiking partner had to cancel our Appalachian Trail section hike this week — one thing marked off my to-do list :lol: We have a few more hikes coming up before I am gone, and I'll fly back for week-long hikes, but right now is a flat-out no.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:47 pm

Well dang, Heddy! I hope the surgery thing gets resolved. Moving, much less with horses, is stressful enough on its own.

Chantal, good to hear from you. It sounds like Mikey is coming back well, and just in time for spring. I audited GR last summer as well and got some good tips. He said we must have a geometry book out here that he's never read, lol.

Poni, Queso looks cute, he is going to be quite a Jack of All Trades!

Tanga, wow, congratulations on those wins and scores!

LSP, glad you're having fun with Lynx.

I have a lesson scheduled for Thursday, so I'm looking forward to that after 5 months on my own. I will be interested to get an assessment of our show prospects for the year. I tried to get some video of medium trot yesterday and they were underwhelming. I think A was getting tired at that point, but have not gotten any video from moments where I think we are "getting it" yet. Unfortunately the May clinic was cancelled, to be rescheduled due to flight costs. That might actually give me enough time to haul Tesla over for some lessons first to see if it will be worth taking her to a clinic.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:04 pm

Gosh, Heddy that is a lot. Good luck and hope you are healing quickly!

Tanga--sounds like a good show and some interesting conversations! Florida can be tough on horses but so can a lot of places for different reasons. will be interested to see your videos if you got any.

Ponichiwa--Queso looks great and that green suits him! Also exciting to hear that his changes are coming along nicely!

Chantal--would love to hear more about the Gary Rockwell clinic. I rode for last year and was worried he would be a bit old school and less accepting of my roan pony. But he was very, very fair with his scoring and gave really clear and useful comments he had a wonderful.

SF--good luck and enjoy the lesson! Can't wait to hear about it.

I have been doing some walk work with MM to rehab her back. It's tough because walking for 15 minutes in the arena is boring. She's being a good sport about it, but it's hard to blame her for nto being excited by it. I am trying to incorporate lateral work, but I need to be careful because it's easy for me to get impatient and too demanding with the lateral work, which isn't fair right now.

Work with RP is trucking along. His trot lateral work is finally starting to get stronger/more consistent. But it still feels like his strides behind get shorter when he is doing lateral work rather than really swinging through. he does not have a lot of natural hock articulation at the trot, so I think in the trot we're at a stage where we're going to have to figure out how to get more bending of the joints to get sit with a rounded back.

I've also been playing some with changes with him for the last several months. I'm not doing a lot--just a bit here and there spread out. Sometimes he does nothing. Sometimes he changes behind only and then needs to come to the trot to get back into the correct lead. Sometimes he changes up front only and it takes him a stride or two to swap behind. Sometimes he is clean, but he bucks into the change. We haven't done it enough to have established even a consistent issue with them. Well, yesterday, I tried a different exercise to see how he would respond--we did a half 10 meter circle and then LY back to the rail and then asked for the change. The first time I did it, he only changed up front, but I had let the haunches trail at the end of the LY. The second time, I made sure he stayed in a true LY all the way to the rail and really tried to not thinking so much about the change but rather act as if I was now going to LY off the other leg. I must have done something right, because he gave what felt like a clean change with no drama before, during, or after. I rewarded heavily and ended my ride there, ha. I think the success came more from my riding it correctly. Hopefully we can repeat it again.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:05 pm

Im keeping up with y’all’s progress reports. Im encouraged by everyone’s perseverance. Sometimes (often, really), I feel like quitting and just going back to gentle trail riding but then after a few days of trail, I get motivated again…

I finally got some video of our 2nd level stuff. I went from thinking that Rocky was in good shape and just needed more familiarity with the 2nd level work, to thinking that she still needs to be built up a lot physically. I was confused that she seemed to be carrying herself easily at 2nd and then suddenly she was heavy in the bridle again, expecting me to carry her. Today I finally videoed and realized what was going on. I usually work in my small arena which has light footing. But to do the 1st and 2nd stuff, I switch to my full size arena which is sort of a DYI thing and the footing is heavy. (The guy who bought the sand in put in too much and its been a huge chore getting it out by myself). Anyway, I could see that she had to work a lot harder in the big arena. Ive been adding shavings and manure to the sand, and hand working it, and it’s getting better. It’s still quite a bit deeper than my small arena but I think its ok, and she just needs to work harder. Her fitness should improve from the harder work.

Im not sure if it was exaclty a goal, but i had been thinking I needed to be working on at least 2nd level to get the most out of my trainer. The video today convinced be to call trainer and set up a lesson. We’re on for the 13th and Im excited. I hopefully am in a better position to meet her demands. Im ready for a good kick in the butt and have no doubt she’ll give it to me. At this point I’m thinking Rocky and I can handle 1 or 2 lessons a month.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:39 am

It's been a dramatic two days, Monday morning truck wouldn't start, serviced just a few days ago. OK. No big deal jump start, add getting battery replaced to the to do l list. Jump on tractor to spread the shavings from cleaning stalls. It's pretty muddy in NJ at the moment. I am driving along a tractor path between pastures and the mud under my right front wheel gives and the tractor begins to tip. I quickly stop accelerating. Trac does not stop. Apparently the return spring that brings it back to neutral broke. In a split second the trac begins to tip so I slam the front end loader down and manage to stop it before it flips. But I have only one wheel and the bucket in the ground and nothing else. Even the spreader is jacked up.

So I get the truck as close as I can. Get a tow chains and manage to drag the tractor far enough out of the hole and fence to have four wheels on the ground. Then at the very end of the day I'm cleaning my very last stall and just barely don't lift the full muck bucket high enough to clear the doorstep. It ricochets into my shin, tips its contents all over everything, and I take a fall. Well it should have been funny but I herniated a disc in my spine and it cursedly hurts to walk and ride. So today I am totally solo at the barn and I have the vet and dentist scheduled. Every horse has the be caught brought in and then turned out. Also for the dentist. Then I took a quick break and grabbed a bite to eat because my blood glucose was low, and my farrier called to say he was in the stress could he do my two horses that were die for shoes. Darn back and hip is killing me. But all is accomplished. Thank goodness I do not have the overnight shift tonight.

As far at riding, Saiph was really good. I didn't get to ride Kimba, and Cali was just hacked. My newly sore back kept me very cautious in my rides. I am allergic to Nsaids so it prednisone. I am not going to complain about growing old, it's better than the alternative. I enjoyed reading all the updates.

Khall it looks like Joplin brings you lots of joy, and you must be so pleased. She is lovely and seems sane, which is the best thing.

Moutaineer, how is riding without your trainer going?

Nice to hear of Piggy, Lynx and Juniors progress.

Tanga that EVH is so worrisome. Congrats on your show.

Exvet, I recently had to separate two geldings because spring just had them play fighting way too hard. To me it seems like mares settle into a pecking order and relax, but geldings are constantly tussling and revisiting their herd dynamic. I hope your boys settle down without injury.

Heddy feel better soon.

I know I didn't touch on all the interesting news but I am running out of steam. Lol.
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Apr 07, 2022 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:11 am

Jingles chisamba!! You’ve had a rough winter this season. I hate you are now injured:(.

I appreciate everyone’s updates. The good the injured the unpleasant weather. Yet we all just keep on. Sometimes I think we need counseling lol! Or wine.

I’m sidelined because of weather this week. Typical Georgia spring
https://www.facebook.com/10005679571352 ... 44800/?d=n

While our farm did not have any damage or really nothing more than hard rain and a bit of lightning we did at one point have radar indicated tornadoes just to our north and to our south. Ones that did cause damage but as far as I’ve heard no loss of life. Pretty big outbreak all across Georgia I stayed in to do paperwork horses were in because of the bad weather

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:59 pm

Blob, I'm continuing to think of MM, I hope she keeps feeling better. I know she has a really dedicated owner so I hope you guys can get through this! I'm glad that RP is still going pretty good and have fun to explore the changes!

Demi- how exciting to get back into lessons. I hope you guys have a lot of fun and get some good feedback!

Chisamba, I'm so sorry to hear about your back and the troubles so can go with having a farm! I hope you're able to rest up a little bit although I know you're very busy. Definitely don't do too much and hurt your back anymore. I know it's easier said than done.

Lynx got Chiropractic on Monday night. He was the most behaved with it he's been (He finds giving up his body to strangers touching him in weird ways kind of difficult.) We tried some acupuncture for the first time and he seemed to really enjoy it. We just did his SI area.

Then the trainer rode him the next day just a light ride. His walk looked really good and marching. Although, He has started tossing his head occasionally. It seems to be doing certain things. Trainers that it was a bit of frustration or boredom (It has been high winds and unfortunately we are back in the indoor arena for a few days.) Which may be so but I'm kind of thinking I need to switch up the bit and maybe even my bridle. He's in a happy mouth full cheek snaffle but It's almost a touch too small I think. And it's just very different. We thought he was going pretty good in it but I wonder if he's really protesting now. I'm going to pick up a couple different options.

I'm hoping to try to ride today if the barn isn't shaking too badly.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 2:04 pm

Also, unfortunately Lynx has had his stifle slip a bit occasionally. The chiropractor actually thought he felt pretty good. He has been growing a little (I can tell because he outgrew one of his blankets and his butt is sticking out of the rear.)

He had a couple really light weeks because of extreme cold and then us having the flu and then a horrible cold right after. The trainer worked once a week when she could obviously that's not much. Definitely seems like his stifle has to keep in work. Now that I have my jumping saddle and the event trainer back in town, I'm going to really make it a point of doing pole work at least twice a week. And have used ride around outside along the lane of the barn where there is some minor hills at least once a week.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:11 pm

Chisamba, owie... please don't cripple yourself! Tractors are a blessing and a curse. So useful but so dangerous.

You all seem to be making progress! I shall be glad when Spring actually sticks rather than veering wildly between snowstorms and 68 degrees.

I was doing pretty well last week. My shoulder healing has progressed in leaps and bounds, I felt like I was getting my brain back in the game, managed to lunge my own horse, started trotting, but then Friday evening happened and I'm a bit of a wreck again. Still, I actually did have a nice ride today and he was a good boy for me.

I've just got to stuff my anxieties back where they belong, and we'll get it back together. This is not like me at all. Normally I can just buck up and get on with it.

I think if my trainer is not back to work next week I will see if I can start working with her assistant a couple of times a week just to get some structure back in my life.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:25 pm

Queso 8-) . Such a good dude.

LSP, Kyra has a 'sticky' wonky stifle too. I only have seen it lock once way back when she was a wee babe and she kicked hard enough to unlock it. Since then, it occasionally 'slips'. I notice it mostly in warm-up and I was really worried when I moved her to the current barn where she doesn't have as much room to move. However, I think what has been her saving grace is that she has a significant (about 8 inches) step up into her stall from her run. When she spent some of the winter stall bound except for some turnout, it started slipping again. Since she has had access to her run (and the step into the stall), the slipping has disappeared. I haven't ever quite gotten her to real collection (>2nd level) so I don't know if it would affect that. It hasn't seemed to be a limit on her thus far.

So yes, most stifle issues need movement. That is why poles, backing and hills are good for these horses to strengthen all the muscles around the stifle. Other than the one locking episode Kyra had, I didn't notice an issue until I started her. She was somewhat of a 98 lb weakling despite me waiting until she was 4. At the time the vet told me she would outgrow it and "just ride her in collection" :shock: :evil: . Yes, don't rely on the vet for dressage training info :lol: . Another thing, be sure his back hooves do not have a negative plantar angle. That can exacerbate weak stifles and make them sore in the glutes and up over the back.

I have instituted my every-other-day riding schedule. Yesterday was a riding day...and it was quite cool and very windy but I rode anyway. It wasn't great but better than I thought it might be (I stayed on :lol: ). Right now, her left lead canter is not really great. She seems off balance and tends to tension and quickness. I think a lot of it is me. I notice myself leaning left and that for sure can't help anything :? She did respond to quite solid half(?) halts but left lead needs some help. Today I put her on the lunge line. We just had a casual lunge and I had her maintain trot and canter longer than usual. The left lead canter didn't look too bad. So yeah, most likely me.

Susan

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:36 pm

Susan, thank you! He hasn't slipped much since I have had him but did it once with me last week and once with the trainer. It does seem that after a period of not working much that it is worse. So we will keep trucking away the next few weeks and see if it strengthens up again.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Apr 07, 2022 1:55 pm

LSP-- there is an exercise that is usually recommended for strengthening the SI, but I've found it can also be good for stifles:

You set up 3 poles spaced for walking (approx 4' between each) and then ride them on a diagonal, so you're going across the poles from one corner to another, then you do a half circle and come back across. So you're basically making an hour glass shape across the poles.

There's a picture on page 8 of this doc: https://www.kohnkesown.com/wp-content/u ... t-2020.pdf

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:42 pm

Thanks blob for the exercise! Joplin and Rip both have a hinky stifle. Is this exercise from Jec Balou? KR also does lateral work on a slope which I’ve done some of

Well yesterday’s weather hit us hard on our farm water wise. Thankfully my DH went to check on mom’s apartment and found the water up to her front porch and rising. Her chain link fence catches debris as the water flows through it damming it up causing it to rise farther. In the lightening he was out clearing the fence to allow for drainage. And my arena is a disaster with the base scoured in one spot footing gone. Just a mess. Not sure what it will cost to fix it:(. Sigh. At least we did not get hit by a tornado. Had several in the state again yesterday. One woman died the day before.

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... 62572/?d=n

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Apr 07, 2022 2:56 pm

Thanks Blob!!

Khall, ugh what a bummer I'm so sorry.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Apr 09, 2022 2:52 am

Khall...I hope you are drying out. Boy, could we use some of your water.

I got the new titanium bit and gave it a try yesterday (Mullen mouth w/tongue relief Baucher configuration. She initially was kind of gaggy with it but she was trying really hard to suck it up in her teeth and it didn't work! I wasn't trying for any concentrated dressage frame...just letting her figure it out and see if she would accept it...and she did. She remained quite relaxed and kind of decided it was OK. Both canter leads were nice. Forward and bounding not stiff legged and tense. We finished our ride with a walk up the hill and she was good as can be. She didn't even notice that the goats were out :lol: . When I pulled it off absolutely no rubbing or pinch marks in the usual spot. I know one ride doesn't guarantee success but at least she didn't spit it immediately...she has done that plenty of times in all of our various bit trials over the years.

Today, I hauled my Mom up to the barn with me. She gets quite frustrated with me gone to the horse so much so today, I just took her with me. I just grabbed Kyra out of her stall and lunged her for a bit then put her in long reins for a bit and showed off our LY's and Spanish walk for Mom (the parking lot has a good view of the arena). It was a quickie but she worked well and got out of her run for a bit. Mom enjoyed getting out of the house and not being left alone. After all these years (like since I was 3), she still doesn't get the horse thing :roll: :lol: .

Susan

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 09, 2022 3:51 pm

Thank you all for your kind words. We had a helpful visit from our sports medicine vet this week who has probably seen 100,000s of horses in his career, including much worse gracilis tears. As Chisamba noted, Emi's is a recoverable injury, and the vet was quite confident that she would recover! It will just take some time. The slow decrease of the hematoma is likely because the muscle tear also tore a blood vessel in her inner thigh. More updates to come. More tack walking to come!

Jingles to those who need it and cheers to those getting on with it!

Shoutout to Queso for being the best and cutest.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:03 pm

Susan, is your titanium bit a Fager? I've quite happy with my Fager bits; I think A appreciates the light weight.

Piedmont, so glad to hear Emi's injury is recoverable! It sounds like you're working with a great vet and I know you'll do what's best for her.

I had nice rides on both girls last night. It was 73 and calm yesterday, and then the windstorm blew in just as I was putting everything away for the night. High today is 49, and it intermittently windy all weekend. Hopefully this will bring some moisture!

Thursday I took A across town for a lesson with a new instructor. Being a native Idahoan, she is used to working with quarter horses, which is why I'm trying her first. A definitely needed a lunge to get the adrenaline out, and we had some tension and riding conservatively/defensively. It was good to get some eyes on the ground, and we are going back next Wednesday. I'm going to ask her to use my comm system and let her know I can take rapid-fire instruction. Hopefully A will be calmer as well (Thursday I was just asking her to push the canter forward when she saw a dog, slammed on the brakes and dang near gave me a bloody nose), but it will be a chilly morning, so who knows. She said A looks like she's at the point where we can start asking her to come up in front and it will be all about riding the "up" in the canter and working to free her shoulders. Yesterday we did a little crossrail jump day and finished with cantering through a 4-jump mini course quite nicely.

Tesla seems to be getting back in the mindset that canter is possible, and starting to keep the energy through and accepting half halts to shorten the stride without totally quitting on me or trying to take the reins away. She has also started very obediently stepping up to the mounting block and standing (for a long time I was having to drag her up or use the crop, then she'd try to walk off as I was putting my foot in the stirrup). Her ToF is getting much better both ways and SI/CSI are also coming along. I joked to new instructor, who hasn't met her yet, that we might need a walk/trot second level division with the way she is coming along.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”