Looking forward to looking forward - March/April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Looking forward to looking forward - March/April Goals and Progress

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Apr 09, 2022 4:35 pm

Oh, boy, Piedmont. You are the tack walking queen. A position that comes with its own frustrations.

Khall, its a shame we can't redirect the weather. We could really use some of that water here. Having said that, looking at the forecast, we are supposed to get a wet, cold week next week. We are never going to get out of the indoor at this rate (which is a problem as it is supposed to be getting a complete footing overhaul in a couple of weeks. As is the outdoor. They were hoping to stagger the two operations and keep us all in business in the mean time.)

Trainer was back yesterday. Don't really know if she's "Back Back" but I'll take advantage of what I can get. She felt we looked stronger and more solid from our couple of weeks of walk work. (I think I've somewhat changed my mindset from "there, there, let's not upset the poor fragile horsie" to "get on with it and stop upsetting the poor fragile rider..." ) We worked on getting my leg longer and using my whole leg rather than drawing up my heel, which is a bad habit I seem to have fallen into, and which I suspect ticks him off, and makes me feel less secure.

I was watching Charlotte Fry in a WC qualifying ride..
Her long wrapped leg makes her so stable and quiet so her hands can be truly independent and her riding so quiet and precise. She must have a core made of steel cable.

Because of the shoulder thing, I've spent a lot of time this year sitting around watching things like the live stream from Wellington (to the detriment of my own core unfortunately) and, given that these riders, amateurs and pros alike, are all superbly mounted and no doubt in top end training situations, that truly independent seat is in my mind the thing that separates the top riders from the rest of the herd.

I may not be able to achieve it, but I can certainly work towards it!

Who are you working with SF?

blob

Postby blob » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:34 pm

Between some intense happenings at work, MM not being well, and upcoming barn move (on the 15th), I'm feeling very stressed. More than I should really, but it's just a lot at once.

In better news, MM's breathing has been good the last couple days. The farrier comes on Tuesday and I'm debating pulling her shoes. As some of you might remember, I put them on for performance, not soundness. And with her asthma I'm not sure it makes sense to keep them on. Part of my thinks it's worth waiting until we move to see if the environment change drastically improves things, but even if that happens, I can't imagine us getting back to showing this summer as I think it will take time to get her condition back and I'll want to be extra careful especially as temps get up. So she just may not need shoes at all. But I also worry about putting stress on her when she's already less than 100% and I don't know if the transition back to barefoot will come with soreness or difficulty.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Apr 09, 2022 10:58 pm

It makes sense to pull her shoes. She may take a while to grow strong hooves again but you are bringing her back gradually so it may all work. Try just take one step at a time and not think too far ahead.

Moutaineer I hope you get some good work with your trainer.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Apr 10, 2022 1:33 am

Mountaineer...I have had to have the same discussion this year (don't upset poor horsie vs get your butt working and quit scaring poor old lady rider). So far, so good.

Yes, SF, it is a Fager. It said they are redesigning that particular bit so had it deeply discounted. I will look forward to the redesign but thought we could give this one a try in the meantime. I hope our rides continue as good as the first one was. She ended up much happier at the end. Her whole body felt 'looser' than normal.

Blob, I would pull her shoes. Give her feet a break and save a few $$$. Just don't have the farrier trim much this time. Let her transition a couple weeks then do a good trim. That should minimize soreness.

Susan

khall

Postby khall » Sun Apr 10, 2022 2:15 am

We are drying out quickly here at the farm. That much water just mostly runs off rather than soaks in. I’m just hoping we won’t have as wet of a summer as we did last year. Made it very difficult to get hay out of our fields. One is low lying and stayed wet most of the summer. Unheard of in hot July/August.

Have someone coming to check out the arena so no idea yet what that is going to cost. Most of it is useable at least and my next Cedar clinic is not until June. Mountaineer you said the arenas at your barn are getting footing overhauled can I ask what all that is done? We may be at that point with my arena. Yikes DH will faint.

We were lucky though. Over last Tuesday/Wednesday there were so far 11 confirmed tornadoes in middle Georgia with more supposed to be declared.

Blob that exercise you describe with RP for FC was very similar to the exercise Cedar was having one of our riders do for FCs. She just added thinking a bit if HI when you get to the rail. Our rider got 2 clean changes with her OTTB.

Our weather went from wet and stormy to cold and windy. About froze today! Pulling blankets back out and my insulated carharts. Geeze Georgia weather

I’ve just worked mine in hand and on line a bit. The wind was making my head hurt it was so strong.

I’m planning on hauling Joplin to poplar place show venue to school in their show arena with a friend.

Hope all have smoother sailing soon! Happy riding

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:07 am

Khall, as far as I know at the moment, the indoor footing is being completely removed, the base laser-leveled (it undulates somewhat at the moment) and all new Premier footing (felt and sand mix) going in.

The outdoor, I think. I'd just getting a footing renovation rather than complete replacement.

But, I'll find out more next week!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Apr 11, 2022 6:36 pm

Well I’ve gotten a wild hair and am taking Gaila in for breeding exam tomorrow. Depending on how she looks I’m going to buy a dose of frozen Saphiro semen and give it a try! I really want another Saphiro baby!! Wish us luck

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 11, 2022 9:43 pm

khall wrote:Well I’ve gotten a wild hair and am taking Gaila in for breeding exam tomorrow. Depending on how she looks I’m going to buy a dose of frozen Saphiro semen and give it a try! I really want another Saphiro baby!! Wish us luck

Sounds exciting!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 11, 2022 10:52 pm

I'm feeling much better, and have been doing daily groundwork with a very bouncy energetic Maia since Wednesday. Today was the first day she was semi-sane, but I had no time to ride between clients and Maia's bodywork appointment.

She got her bum (and shoulders, face, legs ... everything) stuck full of needles :lol:

Fingers crossed she's centered and calm tomorrow!
Attachments
66C87D51-BB38-4C9D-BE3A-5979ACC9C6D6.jpeg
66C87D51-BB38-4C9D-BE3A-5979ACC9C6D6.jpeg (120.94 KiB) Viewed 6349 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 12, 2022 1:52 am

khall wrote:Well I’ve gotten a wild hair and am taking Gaila in for breeding exam tomorrow. Depending on how she looks I’m going to buy a dose of frozen Saphiro semen and give it a try! I really want another Saphiro baby!! Wish us luck

Good luck! Very jealous. I so wish I could breed another Junior or even a Tb mare to Resi. Just not feasible at this time.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Apr 12, 2022 7:18 pm

khall, good luck with the breeding.
heddy, hoping Maia is zen after her treatment and I am glad you are feeling better.

Ms. Kyra is anything but zen. We have had winter return with a vengeance. The blustery cold weather has made Ms. Kyra a bit unrideable...at least for me. I do not enjoy riding a stick of dynamite. I did ride Sunday, before the weather really arrived but it was still windy and cool and although she started the ride OK, she decided there was a dragon residing in the creek (chasm of death) and I totally lost her attention. At that point, rather than fighting with her and getting really mad, we resorted to remedial things like bending to a stop, standing nicely with her head down and trying for a flat footed walk. I got her cantered to the right before the dragon awoke but there wasn't a prayer of the left lead being anything but her infamous deer on crack canter. Some days, you just take whatever you can get and sometimes it is damned little but we can end on a good note ;) .

Yesterday, I didn't have much time but did swing by (after it stopped snowing :P ) and got her out and lunged her to let her move and maybe warm up a bit. Wowsa...she was a ball of motion. Go-go-go but interestingly, not crazy or inverted. She was completely obedient...it just had a bit more go than usual (a lot more). She was doing very nice "up" canter-walk, back up directly to canter...not a foot wrong. She trotted and cantered for nearly 15 minutes straight and wasn't even breathing hard. She was actually quite 'pretty' in her carriage and movement but I was glad I wasn't on top. The weather is supposed to be like this all week (windy, cold and occasional snow) so I am not sure what I will get done with her aside from "exercise". We really need the water and the mountains are getting dumped on with snow so I can't complain. it will be good for everyone/everything.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Apr 12, 2022 9:49 pm

We got winter back here, too. Cold, snowy and windy. I got stick with a needy client yesterday, but Trainer said the indoor arena was rattling and clanging around like crazy so she sensibly just lunged him. We are all taking a snow day today....

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:45 pm

It seems the weather isn't being kind to many of us. We had wind whipping up dust storms yesterday and a bit today although it's much better today. I can sympathize with blob and MM also as I'm having some trouble with allergies causing breathing issues this year. Hopefully that will clear up when the heat really kicks in.

I decided to play with some ground work with Pal. The first "real" thing I wanted to teach her was to pick up her legs with a touch of the whip. She basically planted her feet and refused to respond to anything at first so then I just made her move around me instead and called it a day. I was originally asking with just a touch then tap tap tapping if she didn't respond. I thought maybe I could annoy her into it eventually but that was a no go. The next time I tried with very slightly increasing pressure and I got to about the limit of what I was willing to go to and she FINALLY responded. Hooray! So I worked on going back to just a light touch and increasing until response but she never once responded until the original pressure when she first responded. I didn't want to frustrate her by working on it too long and I was happy that I got a response at all. The next session she responded to the lightest tap tap tap on the first try and very quickly was understanding just the lightest single touch. Happy with her progress so far and it's a fun something else to do for us.

We had a saddle fitter out a couple of weeks ago and ordered a new saddle that is so much more comfortable for me and puts me in a way better position. It's a long wait and I'm borrowing a different saddle for now but pretty excited for that to come in eventually.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Apr 12, 2022 10:57 pm

We’ve had crazy wind here, every day for almost two weeks. We just went through multiple tornados in the area two weeks ago and we just got a PSA that we are under a tornado watch until 11 pm. The sky looks very unusual right now and the wind is blowing stuff all over.

I have a lesson tomorrow and I’ve been trying to prepare so as to get the most out of it. Ive videod 3 times in the last ten days and the thing that stands out the most is that I still let my reins get too long. :roll: I think I do it for at least three different reasons which makes it more complicated to fix ie I have to really concentrate to catch it before it happens.

I need to write this all out before tomorrow. One issue is that I let the reins out “as a reward” when she does what I want. I do it subconsciously. For example after a good transition. Or when a medium gait feels really good I give her way too much rein and she falls apart. The second issue it that when she fusses over doing what I ask I give more rein to avoid the “ugliness”. The third issue is that when she dives down on the bit, she puts me in a position where I cant’ do an effective half halt unless I lengthen the reins. I just thought of a fourth issue. When she gets heavy on only one rein, I let the reins slip out until I feel equal contact again.

This has to stop! When my trainer asks what I want to work on tomorrow Im going to say keeping my reins short. Priority #1. There is no valid reason that I let them get to long….

Now it’s pouring, the wind has stopped, the sky is black but the sun is shining. Weird. Oh, and there’s a big rainbow over the barn!

( I just re-read this and wasn’t clear on describing the third issue so I edited it)

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:06 am

Yikes! I cannot imagine snow in April. Crazy!! Our hay fields are popping and we were in the 80’s today. Demi we had the tornadoes last week. It’s been a roller coaster here so far.

Well breeding exam on Gaila went spectacular. She’s 14 and a maiden mare but the ultrasound was textbook for getting one pregnant. She’s strongly in season. I take her back to see if she has ovulated Thursday. Emailed for contract for Saphiro. He’s retired now and they only have frozen semen. Supposed to be good quality and my vet is a good repro vet. First time using frozen for me but not my vet. I’m giving it one shot and crossing my fingers she catches.

I know I don’t write much about Gaila. Not like Joplin but she is a nice mare. Not quite as talented as Joplin but still a fun horse to ride/work with. Hoping for another buckskin though there is a possibility of a Palimino. And a filly!! So exciting breeding again. I had considered breeding Joplin but I don’t know who to use, I did not want her to carry a foal( her dam had issues carrying Joplin) so would have pursued ET which increases the cost significantly. And what I want is another Saphiro and breeding Gaila now cuts off 2 years of waiting. I would not have tackled Joplin ET until she was 10 or so. This will be my last foal ever. So I’m hoping it all goes smoothly!

Jingles for all those dealing with unsettled weather. Happy riding all!

Everything I own now I bred raised and trained. I enjoy doing so especially with as nice of a horse Joplin is.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:09 pm

Wind has been exceptionally high here too for the last several days. I worked Junior on the line last night despite it since the show is coming up this weekend. He worked so well over the gymnastics I set up for him and his canter departs were prompt and forward. Hopefully I can keep that under saddle.

Khall, I've had quite a bit of success breeding those older yet very healthy maiden mares. Junior's dam was a maiden at 10 and then went on to have 5 more very healthy foals at 10. One of my other foals by Resi was out of a 14-year-old maiden and her pregnancy and deliveries was one of the smoothest I've managed. Good luck, I've yet to use frozen semen but if it's good quality that shouldn't be an issue. I do understand the thrill and pride in breeding your own and raising them from the ground. Brandon and Ace are near and dear to my heart, but nothing takes the place of Junior. Having been a breeder has always given me great respect for other breeders especially those whose stock I own. I understand the thought, dreams and energy that goes behind the process. I'm just so grateful that I was able to keep at least one of my homebreds after the divorce.

Demi, the habit you describe of releasing the reins was one I had, and I can't tell you how frustrated my riding instructor was with this bad habit. I still have a tendency towards it but it's become much better with some due diligence. I think we all are so brainwashed to have forward, kind and giving hands, not that there's anything wrong with it, but I think we forget that the hands are there to support and receive the horses energy, not to drop it. Riding on a long rein as a reward is a good thing but as my instructor keeps pounding into my head - you need to ride everything ALL THE WAY THROUGH which includes completing the transition...........then once you're truly finished, reward - and make sure you're rewarding the right behavior too ;) Because Brandon has that bully nature, I very specifically will not release the reins when he's rooting or trying to take over. It does get ugly but sometimes it has to get uglier before it develops into that 'perfect' picture of harmony we want. Brandon rides like a stallion. You have to make absolutely everything so black and white.......of course this typically helps almost any horse.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Apr 13, 2022 1:58 pm

Thanks for that, Exvet. Your experience is very helpful. I’m reviewing my rides from yesterday and Friday before I haul out to my lesson in a half hour. My instructor is a very good trainer, but not so much a teacher. It will help if I can explain to her what I need concerning the long rein issue. I think she will be the best trainer I’ve ever had if I can conquer this very basic problem on my own, first. (And not really “on my own” because this board has been a real key for me to see my problems.Thanks all!)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:09 pm

Khall, how exciting! Best of luck with the breeding. I look forward to seeing cute foal pictures in the future.

Exvet, going luck at the show! I'm sure it will go great.

Demi, I too sometimes have that problem. I did think about something, I wonder if putting like a little piece of tape where you think your rein should be most the time, just as a visual reminder?

It has been awfully windy here as well. Lynx was great last time we rode despite the shaking and banging doors around the indoor.
I'm going to ride this evening so hopefully the weather isn't horrible.

George Williams is coming to the barn although It's associated with the local GMO. So not riding but I definitely hope to audit again.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Apr 13, 2022 3:59 pm

Demi, ExVet--I too have a rein releasing problem with MM. For me it's that when she is soft in the mouth (which is nearly always), I think of being soft in the hand and for whatever stupid reason my brain thinks soft in the hand is also hands not actually fully closed and so then the reins just sliiiiiddeee on out and it ends up pointless. It had been my primary focus the last few months with her before we had to stop riding. It's interesting though that I don't have this same problem with RP.

April is so unpredictable with weather, but ugh, snow!

Khall--that is very exciting! I can't wait to hear breeding updates and about the process. I have really thought a lot about breeding MM the last few years for something for myself. I even have a stallion picked out (ha!). But I have been nervous about the maiden breeding process (not having experience myself either). And now with her respiratory allergies I think our window/option has passed. So I will live vicariously through you!

Both my horses got their teeth done and feet done yesterday, so it was a full day. We did pull MM's shoes and the farrier does not seem concerned that she will have trouble transitioning back very quickly to barefoot. Her feet grow very fast, so he also thinks any chipping as nail holes grow out will be short lived. Unfortunately this farrier won't be able to come to the new barn, so I will be looking for a new one--which is difficult because I really have been super happy with him.

our barn move is on Friday, so getting things organized has been the biggest priority this week and RP's riding has been on a back burner. They'll be going together in a pasture for the first time in the new place, so let's see how that goes. MM is pretty dominant, but not a bully, when it comes to mares. But she will sometimes take second spot behind a gelding. RP normally falls mid-pack, but he's been with another very submissive horse for the past year and has gotten a little big for his britches as 'top dog'.

In other news I have signed up for a clinic in May. I am only doing one day of the weekend for various logistical reasons but it has worked out because a friend of mine was also only wanting to do one day, so we were able to save the organizer any scheduling challenges that way. I'm excited and nervous for it. Will be taking RP, of course, and will be eager to see how he handles that kind of situation. All of last year's showing has made him much better about going to new places. But a clinic is so different from a show where I can really focus on recreating the exact same work we do at home. Clinic will be new place, plus likely new things asked of him. Also hopefully the clinician likes ponies!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Wed Apr 13, 2022 4:34 pm

Don't know if this will help anyone with their "rein issue" but over the years I have learned to think soft elbows not hands. That way, the hand stays closed and the reins don't slip. ;)

We are back into winter and have been since Sunday I guess. Not sure when it hit down here cuz I was in Northern Idaho but Sunday is when the first real snow hit up there. Fortunately, just an inch or so of snow, but winds are gusted to 50mph yesterday so no riding yet. Fingers crossed winds stay under 30 so I can hop on the ponies again!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:23 pm

Well, we are beginning to earn our "queen of tack walking" title. First under saddle walk yesterday showed that Emi is feeling a lot better about 3 weeks post-injury. More swelling needs to come down and healing needs to happen, but it is all going the right way.

I will say that it is a lot less like walking a white kite when Emi's had turnout for 3 weeks and the temps are hot vs. the last time I had to do this (after 4 weeks of stall rest with limited hand walking, and cold + windy temps).

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:21 pm

Yep, we have had that funky spring weather keeping us on our toes.

Piedmont, glad Emi is being good so far with the tack walking.

SueB, are you planning to show this year? I guess it's about the same distance to show in Boise or eastern Idaho for you?

Khall, best of luck with the breeding endeavor. How exciting!

Tesla had most of the week off - I gave her the WNV/Encephalitis shot on Friday along with some Banamine, but she still reacted and was punky and sore for several days. Yesterday we finally got back to work, and had a few good moments where i felt like I could ride her hind legs up under instead of having her get too forward over her shoulders and drop her poll. I think more of that will help with the canter issues. We also played a little more with haunches in and she is starting to get it. Also the shoulder-leading LY, change bend to SI and back. The changing of bend helped get her off my right leg and should help supple her up, I think. I had to laugh to myself about the long reins thing because even though T is light in the bridle, she somehow talked me out of ALL the rein as I was warming her up. Of course I was being more tentative after several days off.

Annabelle is really doing well. We had a couple rides, of "don't think, just jump forward!" and last night her W/C transitions were just available and a non-issue. I'm thinking of biting the bullet and paying the membership fees to show first level at the dressage festival first week of June. It also sounds like my regular instructor will be back for a 2-day clinic sometimes in May, so I'm excited about that. My husband broke his arm badly skiing and had to have surgery on Monday, so I canceled my lesson for this week, but I'll go back next Wednesday.

Between Tesla and the DH on stall rest, getting my new boots yesterday was a great pick-me-up. They are Celeris brand and fit really well. I rode both girls in them last night and get a little gouged in the back of the knees, but not terrible. Patent wouldn't have been my first choice, but these were off the rack about 40% cheaper than having a pair made, and they'll look great with the dark navy PSoS pad I bought this winter.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:28 pm

SF...WOW those are quite the boots. I have to pull out my tall boots and see if they even fit. No use sitting on my shelf if they don't. My feet have changed after all the surgeries and I wear a full size larger. I am not relishing even looking for another pair of tall boots. Maybe if I ever make it to my Century ride, I can borrow some? I have a few years to decide.

Well, if Kyra was in overdrive on Monday, yesterday she was in hyperdrive. I think our cold snap is coinciding with her heat cycle. She was distracted besides hyper but I just kept asking nicely for her attention. She kept wanting to look outside the circle and I had to remind her of my presence and the fact that she needed to pay attention to me. Finally after about 20 minutes, she finally shifted down a couple speeds and started to stretch. Mind you, this is all on the lunge line...no way I would get on her. She was bothered some yesterday. She had loose poop and lots of it and was calling from her stall. Just being generally weird and I am thinking heat. I didn't make it today as Mom has a Dr. appt so I hope she is more settled on Friday.

Susan

Dqwannabe
Greenie

Postby Dqwannabe » Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:31 pm

Straightforward, I LOVE those boots!

I have a lot of catching up to do on everyone! I've been non-riding for 6+ years and just getting back in the saddle. I saw a couple posts on the UDBB group on FB and poked my nose in over here to find that there's quite a bit more activity than last time I checked. I miss the UDBB soooo much! FB just isn't a substitute and I don't find COTH to be quite the same.

I don't know that I've ever posted much on DD, but I used to post about my little rescue Arab on UDBB. He's now retired. He would be happy to work but his pasterns are low and he's 23yo now and I don't want to compromise his soundness.

I adopted a B&W Saddlebred mare from a rescue about a year and a half ago. She's very opinionated (defensive, if I have to be honest) and I was very rusty and she tried to dump me (although she stopped as I was about to come off so didn't have a bad ending). Shortly after that, I sprained my ankle badly then we went into winter and on and on. So, now I have a place to ride, she and I have bonded quite a bit and I found myself making excuse after excuse not to get on. Two weeks ago, I put myself back into a lesson program, took two lessons then my employer went on lockdown and the lesson barn is an hour and a half away (close to work, not home).
HOWEVER, those two lessons were eye-opening! I'm never one to blame the horse (in fact, I sympathize with them doing what they can in spite of me, lol). I could NOT get the school horse on any semblance of a circle and had NO idea what I was doing wrong, couldn't make my legs behave... ugh! Instructor started me doing some shoulder rolling while in walk and trot and... Magic! Horse went right to the rail, was probably relieved to have a question he could answer, lol.

Given that lessons look to be suspended for a few weeks, I got up the nerve to get on my mare last night (we've been doing in-hand work off and on all along) and she was SUCH a good girl. We had no steering so I did my shoulder rolling trick and... right to the rail and anywhere I asked her. I haven't figure out what specifically I've got locked up that my shoulders are affecting. I imagine I have some degree of tension from my head to my toes and it'll take some time to get my feel and my confidence back.

I apologize for the length of this, I don't expect to always be so wordy. i'm just so excited to be back!

So, my short term goals... keep on chipping away at my stiffness meanwhile making riding a not unpleasant experience for my mare. Baby steps...

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri Apr 15, 2022 4:52 pm

Welcome back DQ! SO nice to have you on board :mrgreen:

SF those boots are Amazing! I too have been tempted to get boots with blue...one of these days maybe I will 8-)

Now Rudy has some kind of cut on the back of his fetlock that I'll need to examine later today. He was just too fired up about food this morning to let me look at it. Not lame so that's good, anyways.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:58 pm

Yes, welcome back DQ!

Gosh those are eye-popping boots! You should post a picture of them on.

Well, I'm not sure what to expect tomorrow. I hauled Junior over to the show grounds to school my tests early this afternoon. I'm having an exceptionally difficult time remembering to include the 20-meter canter circle at the end of third level test 2; so, I felt that I better ride in a regulation size dressage arena. However, THAT is/was the least of my problems. Junior unloaded like his usual mild-mannered self. I tacked him up as I always do. I walked him to the warmup arena to school a little in there first before running through my tests in the show arena. He has been to this venue many times. The last time he performed amazingly well. I promptly mounted from the ground when I got to the warm up and thank god I got my second boot into the stirrup before a horse in the barn area screamed. BECAUSE JUNIOR CAME UNGLUED. He was convinced he knew the horse that was screaming. I had quite the gathering watching and taking wagers as to whether or not I was going to come off and Junior, true to his grandmother's reputation almost cleared out the warm up with his antics. Most of it was screaming and moving side ways with a few baby rears thrown in for good measure. I think he also jumped into the air a few times but surprisingly no bucking. I just kept talking to him and then started to get control of his shoulders and began shoulder in, renver, traver ad nauseum first at the walk which was spectacularly lateral at times and then repeated the exercises at the trot. I eventually got to working on half-passes and mediums which I think the audience went from betting that I was going to come off to wondering if I was going to keep the powder keg from exploding and flying to the next state with how far he was coming up off the ground at the extended trots LOL. We got through it enough that I had him focused on me and I then went into the show arena and ran through the tests. At one point the big stinker got his tongue over the bit which I dismounted, unbridled him and bridled him again with the problem corrected - the peanut gallery couldn't believe I did that LOL - he was actually quite under control at the time. I then got back on and went right back to work. He definitely had forward in the canter and pretty nice jump LOL. I must say I'm glad I went. I feel like I got him through the worst of his temper tantrum successfully. I guess some of those watching thought so too because someone who I've run into at most of the shows over the years came up to me and said, "Guess you still got that cowboy up award, don't ya <wink>". While I was a bit surprised, I can't say that he scared me at all (though there were quite a few others who were a little worried) which is probably a huge reason why it didn't devolve into a disaster. Not sure which pony is going to arrive at the show with me tomorrow nor if I'll have enough pony to be able to get through the warmup and the test(s). We shall see, we shall see...........

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:27 am

Fancy boots, SF. My navy ones are still sitting in a corner of my office in a state pristine newness. I may have to break them out soon.

Hi DQ!!

I'm glad you survived the drama, Exvet! He'll probably be too tired to complain tomorrow.

I've ended up having a rather positive riding week with Potters, once the weather settled a bit. Wednesday, I put the assistant trainer up on him so I could watch her ride. He got a thorough workout and he was a very good and respectful boy, and she rode him beautifully and had fun.

Yesterday, I had a session with the PT on my shoulder. He was sufficiently happy with our progress that he has now signed me off, which is worthy of a celebration in and of itself. I went straight to the barn and hit a busy patch, so I ended up sharing the arena with 3 other horses. Potters was either busy watching where he was going, or just reassured by having his tribe around him, and was just a lovely responsive, attentive ride. Amidst the general mayhem, we cantered, yee haw!

Today we had the arena to ourselves, and he was a bit more watchful, but I at least was more relaxed, so we had another good session, WTC, and some lateral work.

It's baby steps, but now we are both declared sound, we just have to chip away at some mental and physical rehab work. I'm so unfit it's embarrassing, and I've obviously been working so hard on rehabbing my right shoulder that my left feels it's been abandoned and has gone off and developed a fulfilling life of it's own...

Mette is in town next weekend. I've opted to audit rather than ride, this time. I'm not ready for two days running of grueling 45-minute rides, and the trailering back and forth and all that malarkey. Next time, I hope!

Dqwannabe
Greenie

Postby Dqwannabe » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:21 am

I only had time to read back a handful of posts. @chisamba, I was reading your post about the spreader and tractor and as soon as you wrote "the right front wheel gives", I'm all tensed up at my desk saying "drop the loader! drop the loader!" because I ALWAYS forget to drop the loader and get myself into the worst dilemmas, lol. Thankfully, my OH can fix/unstick about anything I can break/get stuck. I'm so glad you got yourself sorted out, I was exhausted just reading your post!

@exvet, good luck at your show this weekend! I hope Junior keeps it together, but I know what an awesome rider you are, you'll have no problems with whatever comes your way and I can't wait to read about it!

So much to catch up on, it'll take me awhile to become familiar with everyone's ponies' names and where you're all at.

I was able to get on Razzy tonight and work a bit at the walk and try to work on myself without confusing her too much. I do think I'm making some progress, I could tell that I wasn't as tipped forward and nervous. I felt like I was a little more deep and solid in my saddle and could relax the death grip my legs had on her. Such beginner stuff compared to all of you, but I need to start somewhere...

Razzy didn't get upset until I asked for walk/halt transitions. She's very green, I don't know if she has more than a couple dozen hours on her. While I don't know much of her history, her last owner got her from a kill pen, bred her then donated her to a rescue to place her because she'd been sent to five different trainers who "couldn't do anything with her". She has more of a fight than flight instinct and generally seems always ready for a confrontation. I love mares and their sense of fairness and we've done well working in hand. She seems to trust me, now I need to bring that to under saddle. Unfortunately, we're dealing with me getting my seat and feel back at the same time. We'll work it out, no doubt aids were clumsy and ill-timed and she was a pretty good sport all things considered.

She got lots of treats when we untacked and was pretty relaxed and happy when I turned everybody back out.

That's all for today. It's been along week, hope everyone has a great weekend!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Apr 16, 2022 10:40 am

Exvet, I hope Junior is more of his usual self today.

Dqw, it sounds like you have picked a rewarding challenge taking on a complicated horse for your ride. I wish you the best with her.

Moutaineer, Saiph, my spooker, is way more relaxed in company. She find it very challenging to leave the busy warm up and go all by herself into the scary dressage court.

StraightForward I bet those boots look very dashing on.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:49 pm

I wrote a long post last night and it went poof

Exvet good staying on and dealing with Junior’s unexpected melt down! Good luck this weekend. Hope you can get some video

Mountaineer glad you are back in the saddle and the shoulder is better

DQ welcome! I’m a ASB fan

Sue B hope Rudy is ok and your weather turns more spring like

Blob good luck on the move!

SF shiney! Hope they break in and wear well

Susan jingles Kyra calms down some. I’ve never had the issue of my mares acting different when in season. Though I’ve cared for some that have Jekyll Hyde differences.

I’m hauling Joplin out Tuesday to go school at poplar place show facility. Get some riding in an actual dressage arena. Right now I’m riding in the field mostly. It’s good to get out. CC is easier out in the field. Got some piaffe US yesterday. Trying to get estimate to fix the dang arena. Biggest will be work on the base:(. It’s been in for about 15 years or so. We’ve done maintenance but not base maintenance.

Gaila was textbook heat cycle. Sent contract off for Saphiro hoping to get it shipped next week so we can short cycle her breed her end of April

Juliet will be leaving for new boarding facility. Owner is not happy that I don’t want her riding that mare at my farm so is going to move her. I’m good with it:). Two ambulance rides because of that mare and two hospitalizations is enough for me.

Jingles for all still dealing with nasty winter weather. Happy riding all!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:03 am

exvet...what goes on in their pea brains sometimes. I keep feeling I am being rather wimpy in dealing with Kyra's silly days but you know, I have nothing to prove and need to live another day ;) . Plus...gosh darn she is nearing 20 y.o. Does she need to put forth all this extracurricular activity? I'm old and don't have the energy to deal with it.

I long reined her yesterday. The weather was somewhat better but with her state of mind recently, I thought it would be a good Saturday ride pre-work.
She worked quite well. I was pleased and she was listening quite well. She seems to like the Fager titanium bit. She still has her fussy times but I was able to get her pretty quiet in the long reins as long as I made sure she was straight.

Today, I actually got on. We had a front blow through and I thought it was done...oh no. Once we made it to the arena, the wind really kicked up. So, it was another walk only ride. I knew I could not contain her exuberance if I trotted or cantered. That said, she held it together pretty well. The footing was quite wet with some standing water but it has a good base on it. I kept her busy with various exercises, SI, HI, TOH on the square, serpentines and a few rein backs. The wind was whistling through the willows in the chasm of death but she dealt with that OK. Cue 3 deer crashing down the hillside across from the creek (chasm of death). I was hoping they weren't going to forge through the willows and pop up right next to the arena. They found the parking lot easier to navigate, jump across the road and up the hill on the other side. She saw them but was content to watch them and she didn't react. Someday weather will decide it is late spring and hopefully it will warm up and the wind will quit blowing and I can get back to riding for real :lol: .

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:19 am

Quick update, Junior was a very well-behaved boy today! This is the pony I know and have come to count on. We won our third level test 1 with a 64 & change and we came in second in our third level test 2 with a 63 which has me over the moon. My goals were two-fold to simply score a 60+ and to not forget test 2. This was the first time ever we've ridden test 2 in a show and only the third time we've ridden it <period>. I'm going back for just one test tomorrow since we have tons of family coming over tomorrow evening. I have to go back and see who the judge was today. She was very complimentary on Junior (I rode both tests for her) and really used the whole scoring scale. She gave us 8s where deserved and 3s where I deserved and most everything in between. My daughter did shoot some video but I won't be able to even look at it until later.

demi

Postby demi » Sun Apr 17, 2022 12:50 pm

Welcome DQwannabee! Good reports from everyone. Yay JR! I was a little worried after reading about his antics the day before the show.

It’s been a whirlwind few days here. I had my lesson on Wednesday and trainer was very happy with Rocky’s progress since she last saw her. She still kicked my butt and my thighs were sore the next day.

Okay, so I wasn’t looking for a new horse….Ive been telling DH that Rocky is my last horse. BUT, at my lesson I was watching one of the working student’s lessons and thought I recognized the horse but wasn’t sure. Asked trainer and when she told me who it was I was amazed because the horse had advance so much since I last saw her. Anyway, trainer says she’s for sale and that she would be a good horse for me. She’s a 15.2 ish hh papered Andalusian and my trainer has done all her training from the start. She was started late (5) and now’s she’s 9 and showing 4th, schooling PSG. The owner’s husband recently died and she isnt riding anymore and wants to sell. They haven’t even put her on the market yet. She’s always been in full training and the working student (good rider, bronze on another horse) started leasing her after owner’s husband died. I could leave her in full training and let the student keep the lease. For me, that’s an ideal situation.

I wanted to let this all sink in before I make any decisions. And then Friday night I had a bad thigh cramp and was wondering if I was just too old to ride like I did in my lesson….then several hours later, I got these excruciating lower abdominal cramps. Never was in so much pain. I thought my abs were cramping like my thigh, and that I was definitely too old to ride hard…Finally DH called 911. They gave me morphine and took me to ER. Turns out it was just a kidney stone and had nothing to do with the earlier leg cramp.

I still havent ridden her as we have company till Thursday. I told my trainer I was definitely interested and will make plans to ride her ASAP.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:49 pm

WTG Exvet and Junior!! Can’t wait to see the video

Demi I will tell you what Mark told me. Once you go Iberian you will never go back! How exciting to be horse shopping! Please post video:)

Happy Easter to all who celebrate. We are having a smaller family gathering than usual for various reasons.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 17, 2022 2:20 pm

ExVet, way to go on those third level scores! Especially after treating everyone to a rodeo spectacle the day before, sheesh!

DQWB, nice to see you, I remember your screen name from UDBB. I hope you stick around and post on your progress!

Demi - that sounds like a really amazing opportunity to get an advanced horse with a known history free of baggage. I hope it can work out for you.

Yesterday I brought bunches of stuff over to a tack sale (and sold lots more than I bought), and missed the nice window of afternoon weather after it quit raining and before it started blowing. Had a lackluster ride on A in the indoor, and didn't bother with T since the building creaking freaks her out. It looks like the weather is going to settle the next few days, so I should really try to get the dressage court up and start riding some tests.

ETA: I just posted a list of what's left in the Tack For Sale forum. ;)
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:54 pm

Demi, that horse sounds like it could be a wonderful partner! I'm not quite turning on the horse search for myself, but one certainly ticks a lot of boxes.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:07 pm

I haven't shared this because last time I talked about maybe breeding a mare I was literally cyber bullied and cyber stalked . Like Khall I'm considering breeding a mare, with the intention of keeping the foal. However in the back of my mind is by the time the foal is rideable if all goes well, I'll be starting a youngster at the age of 67 if all goes well. And I am exceptionally bad at selling so I cannot bank on just selling it if I cannot ride. So I am waffling about it instead of being all organized and decisive like Khall.
Last edited by Chisamba on Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Apr 17, 2022 8:15 pm

Nice scores exvet. I love your pony.

Demi--That does sound like a nice horse. And wow, kidney stones. Those are supposed to hurt a lot. Are they getting rid of it?

Man, speaking of tack sale, my new barn has way too many people with too much money. My sponsor and I (leasor) were there yesterday and someone had filled a garbage can with someone's stuff. When people leave stuff or they don't want it, they throw it away. She got a bunch of breeches and clothes for her daughter, paddock boots, some really nice insulated bottles, and I took the rest, which was really nice bridles, bits, and various other tack. I do not need this stuff, but maybe I can give it to someone, or sell it all cheap. I'll go through it today. One of the reason I have SO many blankets is people through them out with one little tear, so of course I rescue it and fix it. I told new cleaning guy about it, and he brought me a perfect new sheet, found really nice bell boots, halters, etc. He even found a brand new working Roomba the other day! They also throw out recycling, which makes me crazy, so he's been collected that and making extra money, and is now going through the big container of trash and getting a lot of copper and other metals to recycle.

No shows for me until July, but I did have an "adventure" yesterday. I tripped at the barn with both hands full and landed on the cement smack on my face on my lip. Man, I swear you could hear the crack. Lots of blood initially and hurt like a MFer, but just kept an icepack on it. I managed to split the inside of my lip and have a very interesting looking face right now and a headache, but all good. Man, getting old.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:40 pm

OWwwww! So sorry Tanga that smarts! Hope you heal quickly.

Demi! Let me enable you ;) try out the horse and if it's a fit, BUY IT!

Chisamba! Let me enable you too!!!! Breed your mare to make a horse you believe is going to be the mount that you want. You have skill. You have the eye and if it ends up with the demeanor you want, then you of all people know that backing and starting it will not be difficult for you no matter your age. The horses I have put on the ground have been so much easier for me to start and there's a bond there. Now as for the selling part. I think most of us aren't all that 'gifted or focused' in that area; but the one thing I will say is if it comes to the need to sell you will have put the right training to give the horse a skill set that will see it into a worthy home.

Today Junior was again a very good boy. Unfortunately, I left our best in the warmup, though I tried not to overdo it. I rode for a different judge and she too gave me quite an array of scores which were very fair. The best part is that I've had two judges in a row give Junior 7s on gaits - Yippee!! I am very, very pleased with Junior despite our start of the show. We rode three third level tests and managed to keep our scores in the low 60s (61+ - 64+) without dipping into the 50s. It was a repeated theme that I need to develop better engagement and much more suppleness in the canter which I knew going into it. So that's what our goals are for the clinic I'm riding in next Friday. Hopefully I will get some exercises that will help develop these elements. I think what made me the happiest is this weekend is that the pony really tried to deliver, was obedient and definitely showed a range in his gaits.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:50 pm

Chisamba I think you meant to write khall is being impulsive! LOL! Which I am but not really. I’ve thought about breeding again but my plan had been to wait and do ET with Joplin but then Saphiro scrolled across my FB feed with his frozen doses. No live foal guarantee but I really want another Saphiro more than to breed Joplin. So it makes sense to try with Gaila. Who is a nice mare in her own right and is related to Joplin through her grand sire.

Breeding can be terrifying but also so rewarding! I love foals I love being the first one to see the new addition. It’s just magical. Then to raise and start them well I’ve done it quite a few times now over the years. I’ve bred and raised 10 so this would be 11 for me. I have not kept them all but enough to really enjoy the process.

I agree with Exvet breed your mare. We only live once! I find it so bizarre you were bullied about breeding unless they were all about rescue horses? I’m sorry but I’ll rescue dogs and cats all day I won’t horses regardless of how much they pull my heart strings. Just too expensive and heartbreaking enough with the ones we rode and train regularly

I know you are so stoked Exvet!! Yay Junior!!!

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:21 am

Congrats, Exvet that sounds like a really great show! Hurrah, Junior!

I agree with others, Chisamba, breed the mare!

My two moved farms on Friday, so the weekend has been tied up with that. There are still some adjustments we're dealing with, hopefully they will settle into things soon. This is the first place they've been where they are fed outside rather than in a stall, so that has taken some adjustment. RP has not been wanting to eat his food and instead wants to eat MM's. There are also autowaterers which they are not used to. I think they have now figured out they are a source of water, but the they are along the shared fence line and the gelding next door has been guarding the water and then when I was out today MM was also guarding the water for awhile from RP. Ugh. We have buckets hung outside right now, but of mine are big drinkers and so I am a bit worried about them getting enough water.

We've also had on and off rain all weekend and the new place does not have a covered, so I'm also adjusting to that. On the flip side, even when the arena is wet, the trails and fields have been drying up pretty quickly. So MM and I have been able to continue our tack walking with something more interesting to look at then the arena. And RP has also had a chance to hack out and get some of his nervous energy out.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:11 am

Do it, Chisamba!! If something happens and you're not up to riding the baby, you've got students.

I've ridden Maia four times this week! She's been a lunatic, running hollering to the fence when I yell for her :lol: and strangely sedate under saddle. She's got a week off because I'm hauling her momma, Anz, to my mom's farm in west Tennessee tomorrow. I did find a great overnight place a bit less than halfway, so 340 miles tomorrow, 522 on Tuesday #yay

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:13 am

Well done, exvet! You rock!

Heddy, bon voyage... thats a trek and a half.

Blob, its nervewracking moving. I'm sure they will sort themselves out, but, yeah, its no fun.

Tanga, owie! At least mouth injuries tend to heal pretty quick, but you'll probably be quite the picture for a couple of days, poor you. And yes, its amazing how wasteful some people are.

Not much to report here. A nice quiet afternoon at the barn. I lunged, I rode. We will see what the week brings!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Mon Apr 18, 2022 6:15 am

Guys! Just to say I am following along with everyone's posts, and it is great to hear of the successes, the difficulties, the challenges, the plans.... so excited for all of you. I've had some difficult time mentally (loss of confidence, stress), so have been keeping rides low-key, and I'm heading back to work next week (involving overseas travel), so Connor and Fergal will get some time off. I'll keep reading all your updates, it helps me keep sane.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:01 pm

:D :D :mrgreen: Khall I am jealous because you were so organized. Contract, repro exam , and go. I'm envious of your decisiveness. Or if you want to call it impulsivemess!impulsiveness!!

Oh my OUCH tanga. I hope you heal rapidly.

Exvet, congrats on your scores and rides. I find it kind of hard to time my warm up to get the best in the ring.

Thank you all for the support in my thoughts of planning and anticipating a foal.

Anne I also make my rides low key and stress free if I'm feeling intense.

Good luck to those uprooting and moving.

Keep up the good rides.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Apr 18, 2022 2:36 pm

Anne, I find reading everyone’s updates helps keep me sane, too. At least in my “horse life”!

Thanks everyone for the enabling on my potential new horse! Now I almost HAVE to get her! Piedmont, Kyrasmom, and Khall, I like hearing about your Iberian cross horses. They are certainly a horse of a different color, as it were! I am exited to try out this Andalusian mare.

Chisamba, I’ll enable you, too! Breed your mare. You are in a better position than most people to breed and raise a baby, even if you’re 67 when it’s time to start it. I hope you keep us posted on the mare and stalllion you choose!

Tanga, sheesh! Take it easy. And yeah, the kidney stone hurt like an MFer (to borrow your own expression :lol: )

Heddy, stay safe on the long haul. DH and I relocated across country several times when we were much younger and usually had a car plus truck and horses in the trailer. We have a lot of good stories from some of those trips! Just remember to stay “lean, mean and in the green”.

Khall, good luck on your breeding plans, too! It will be fun if you and Chisamba have foals about the same time. Exciting stuff. I have to check out Saphirro.

Blob, hoping things settle soon at the new place. Keep us posted.

SF, I looked at your stuff and was interested in the same bridle that LSP is! I need a new girth too, but all yours are way too big!!

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Apr 18, 2022 4:33 pm

Chisamba, no time like the present! So much fun to raise a baby and train it the way YOU want to!

Demi, that's it! You simply have no choice but to move ahead on this amazing opportunity :D

Rudy somehow caught his medial heal bulb on something and has a pretty deep cut. He was very lame Saturday, (still no swelling!) but felt better after I treated it and started him on antibiotics. Had to wait til Sunday to wrap it because of the rain but it looked surprisingly good even without being wrapped. Couldn't ride Tio yesterday either, because I slipped off a concrete parking marker and subluxated my ankle. Now I can't get my foot in a riding boot. :lol:

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Apr 18, 2022 5:58 pm

Darn SF, I wish I had known about the tack sale. I have so much stuff I need to unload. I need to at least list it on here or TOB. I just got way too much stuff.

exvet...congrats on the show and that the meltdown was short lived.

demi...so exciting.

dqwannabe...welcome.

SueB :? ...hope everybody heals quickly.

So much activity going on.

Kyra and I actually made it to some trot and canter work yesterday. Just basic...straight please at a decent tempo. She still has her radar at at least DefCon 3 over by the creek but seemed to be amenable to listening to me.

She may be moving stalls to an end stall. I think the gelding next to her makes her a bit noisy with lots of squealing. This is the first time she has been nose to nose with a gelding in forever. Where she was at, was hot wire and that kind of inhibited a lot of nosing around. Then the last mare she was by was just as strong a personality as her and they kept having major discussions to the point of tearing down the fence almost daily. After about 3 weeks of that and some minor injuries, we put up a stand off fence in Kyra's pen to keep them from close interactions. So, lots of horses she could see but not touch. That she can touch, she expresses her opinion. Since the BO lives on site, it should be quieter if she is on the end. We will see. BO should know if that stall will be open by May 1.

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:02 pm

Thanks everyone. I must admit I'm so grateful that Junior's 'other' personality was short-lived. Here is a clip of 3-1. We had a brief hiccup at A at the canter where Junior thought I wanted a flying change and then when I asked there was too much hesitation. Plus in the beginning it took too long to find our bending skills. Mediums weren't what they normally are but that's okay. Still happy with my pony and our 64+ score. Would not have come home with blue if the judge was one of those unwilling to use the full number scale. Didn't hurt to have good turn on the haunches either, at least for that test.
https://youtu.be/jnkhWSR2SWI

And here's the tired pony trying 3-2 for the first time. Mistakes in th TOH and FCs but we'll take it.. lots to improve on but possible.. https://youtu.be/skfGjGXUOAg

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:44 pm

Well no news was no news for quite a while, go figure it was difficult for vets to match up with Repro specialist in the prime spring season. We now have options A, B and C that do not involve breeding her season or spaying so I’m feeling optimistic that we can figure out the best management for Kora. Option A is injectable altrenogest from Repro vet preferred source, less likely to cause injection site discomfort, we are starting there. Option B is an equine IUD called iuPOD (who would have thought!), this is new improved version of the old ‘marble trick’. Option C is a blue light mask called Equilume to get her out of the transitional cycles in the spring and straight to normal cycles, maybe in concert with ongoing meds.

We are starting with option A and evaluating as we go. Funnily enough, like a light switch Kora became 100% her normal rideable self this weekend. While on one hand I’m pleased of this development it would have been nice to get some eval time on a new option during her difficult time, but no matter we are rolling with it!!

Been following along but a bit quiet as I kinda had to step away from horsey social media to keep myself out of a dark place and not resigned to sending Kora off to PA to be bred.

Love the boots SF, those will looks swag on!

Some great work with Junior through an ahem, exuberant arena familarization. Looks like you had some cracking tests, great video!

Welcome DQ, glad to see you venture ‘back’

Sue B and Chisamba I wish you repro luck (Chisamba if you choose to go forward) and black dots

Blob sounds like normal new place settling issues. Generally doesn’t take most horses too long to figure out the auto waterers and get their bearing with a new crew.

Healing to those who need it and peace to all because I’m sure with spring ‘crazies’ we all do (or winter crazies for our southern hem folk)

Return to “Dressage Training”