Looking forward to looking forward - March/April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Looking forward to looking forward - March/April Goals and Progress

Postby Chisamba » Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:48 pm

Exvet I loved watching because this is my level too. May I ask a few questions. Did your SI score better than your renvers? Or did the judge think you had enough bend through the rib cage? You scored well on gaits? I thing I try to ride my collected canter in a slower tempo . I think Kimba would prefer the tempo you have there. One more question if I may, did the judge comment on the promptness of collective after the canter medium? If you do not want to comment, it's OK, I'm just evaluating for when I go out in May.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:55 am

I had THE BEST RIDE today. Outside in the warm sunshine, relaxed happy horse, supple, over his back, just lovely!

I'm sitting here at my desk trying to catch up on all the work I didn't do today with a big grin on my face...

I'm looking forward with interest to watching your videos later, exvet, as this is supposed to be my level too this year, if I ever get it together to get out there and do it.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:01 am

Exvet I think I like you 3-2 a bit better! Both were nice tests and I’m so happy for you and Junior.

Aluronex chisamba and I are the ones looking to breed this year. Something I’ve done off and on since 1989.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 19, 2022 2:36 am

khall wrote:Exvet I think I like you 3-2 a bit better! Both were nice tests and I’m so happy for you and Junior.

Yeah, when I watched them me too; but the turn on the haunches were far better in my first test which I hope to make more of a habit.

Chisamba wrote:Exvet I loved watching because this is my level too. May I ask a few questions. Did your SI score better than your renvers? Or did the judge think you had enough bend through the rib cage? You scored well on gaits? I thing I try to ride my collected canter in a slower tempo . I think Kimba would prefer the tempo you have there. One more question if I may, did the judge comment on the promptness of collective after the canter medium? If you do not want to comment, it's OK, I'm just evaluating for when I go out in May.

My SI scores ranged from 6 to 7 with the renver scoring 8 both directions for the one judge. For the other judge my SI and renver scores were both 7 (didn't post that video but it's on my youtube channel). The one judge felt I needed more full body bend for my SIs but the other judge (7s for both) felt I had enough and stated that I had swing in the back which is what I achieved in my warm up (on Sunday) but it just didn't last throughout the test - both of us were pooped.

I received a 7 on gaits for all 3 tests/both judges.

My canter needs more engagement (so likely slower tempo) and I'm guessing if I could get and sustain a more supple horse at the canter is tempo would be slower - more strength needed of me and him.

I got 7s for my downward transitions in the canter in test 2, both judges. I got 6s for the downward transitions from the canter in test 1

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:18 am

exvet wrote:Thanks everyone. I must admit I'm so grateful that Junior's 'other' personality was short-lived. Here is a clip of 3-1. We had a brief hiccup at A at the canter where Junior thought I wanted a flying change and then when I asked there was too much hesitation. Plus in the beginning it took too long to find our bending skills. Mediums weren't what they normally are but that's okay. Still happy with my pony and our 64+ score. Would not have come home with blue if the judge was one of those unwilling to use the full number scale. Didn't hurt to have good turn on the haunches either, at least for that test.
https://youtu.be/jnkhWSR2SWI

And here's the tired pony trying 3-2 for the first time. Mistakes in th TOH and FCs but we'll take it.. lots to improve on but possible.. https://youtu.be/skfGjGXUOAg

Congratulations on your excellent results! I love when judges use the full range of scores available to them. Nothing more insipid than an entire test of 6s when you and everyone else who watched knows there should have been a bigger range.

His trot mediums in 3-2 were really good, I could see how hard he was trying to engage the motor :lol:
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:26 am

Anz and I drove through the rain, hail, sleet/graupel, snow, sleet/graupel, snow, sleet, rain, and finally some dry pavement yesterday to get to our overnight accommodations. I am disappointed we didn't get locusts too!

After that hairy start — and some white-knuckled "wtF are you driving so fast in this?!" miles — we had a good trip. And the overnight accommodations were very welcome. Our host met us at the interstate and led us to his picturesque farm full of fuzzy draft babies. Anz was very anxious, but I hung out with her for a few hours, hand walking, grazing, and brushing, until she finally settled and ate some dinner. She looked like even more of a midget ensconced in a stall for a draft horse :lol:

DH and I had to make the decision to euthanize our sweet elderly guinea pig yesterday morning. We knew it was coming (heart failure), but absolutely dreaded having to say goodbye to our sweet boy.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:34 pm

khall wrote:Aluronex chisamba and I are the ones looking to breed this year. Something I’ve done off and on since 1989.

Gah! Sorry khall!! This is what I get trying to hit everyone's high points after a break. Best wishes for a successful take and easy foaling.

heddylamar I was white knuckled just reading that, yikes. Thank goodness you made it safely to stop one.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:54 pm

mari wrote:
Congratulations on your excellent results! I love when judges use the full range of scores available to them. Nothing more insipid than an entire test of 6s when you and everyone else who watched knows there should have been a bigger range.

His trot mediums in 3-2 were really good, I could see how hard he was trying to engage the motor :lol:

Thank you mari. I wished I had demonstrated a bit more decent consistency with the flying changes. He can do them when properly prepared, not so tense and thus with more engagement and suppleness. Fitting them into a third level test with all the rest of the requirements is hard work LOL. You can see we're just at the tip of that iceberg in terms of being able to perform them in a test and to do so consistently. Yours are looking so much better and we hope to get there.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Apr 19, 2022 4:31 pm

Excellent tests, exvet, and thank you for sharing. I too am hoping to show 3rd level this year, but not starting out great this year. I have til September to get my act together, lol.

I can get my foot in my riding boot now but the wind is 30+ mph with an expected high of 45F, rain possible. Not ideal conditions for Mr. T

Rudy is continuing to do well, hoping to possibly ride this weekend????

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 19, 2022 5:01 pm

We have a miserable noreaster blowing through. It's cold wet, sleetish weather. Sob. Anyway. The good news is that I was introduced to a military wife who loves riding but currently she's not have a horse and is grooming for me in exchange for lessons when her kids are at school. It's spring break this week but she dropped in this morning anyway. I was able to ride six horses before she rushed off home and I am rewarding myself with a cup of soup in front of the heater in the feed room. The mare flagged her tail as we passed the geldings stall so I am also quickly going down my list of eligible bachelors.

My barn cat keeps licking my face slowing down my process but making me enjoy life lol.

I ran through the third level tests for practice inspired by exvet. By the third one we were on s roll and found what felt like an acceptable test.

Cali and I are doing second level which had been historically my most hated level and suddenly I cannot remember why I didn't like it. So that's ok.
Last edited by Chisamba on Wed Apr 20, 2022 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:06 pm

Chisamba, they have made 2nd level test flow soooooo much better now. At least, that's why I don't hate 2nd level anymore, lol

blob

Postby blob » Tue Apr 19, 2022 10:00 pm

Well, I still hate 2nd level, lol! But I think that's mostly because the canter tour in 2-3 just feels so long! But I actually do like the new 2-1.

Thanks for sharing video, Exvet. It's always great to see your work with Junior, as both of mine have similarities!

Ponies are adjusting to the new barn reasonably well. There are still some eating/drinking imperfections but the new barn has been very good about solving for them and being attentive. Right now there is a water trough in their pasture because the gelding next door and MM have been bossy about letting RP drink from the autowaterer. And MM is getting fed with a feed bag so that RP doesn't get distracted by her food and lose interest in his own less enticing meal (he doesn't get any grain). This also ensures she gets her medication and it doesn't get flung somewhere or snatched by a sneak attack from RP. Thankfully she seems pretty happy with the feedbag. The only thing to still solve for is that in the past alfalfa has been RP's primary protein source since he gets no grain. But with them being fed in pasture, i think MM is the one eating most of the alfalfa because looks like she's put on some weight pretty quickly. Right now options are try giving them both orchard/alfalfa mix instead and hope he gets enough protein or reduce her grain amount knowing she's likely going to get more alfalfa then she needs.

I've done some riding the last few days. MM and I are just tack walking still but getting to explore the area. Today her breathing was very good 8 bpm at rest before I rode and then 20 bpm as soon as I got off after 20 minutes walking over varied terrain and one lap of trot in the arena and then back to 10 bpm by the time I was untacked. But it was also unseasonably cool today. Later this week it gets up to 80 degrees, so it'll be good to see how much heat is playing a factor.

RP is a bit distracted and fussy in his work right now, but I am being patient with him considering he is in a new place. He has been braver than expected walking around the property, but more distracted and looky than expected in the arean, ha.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 20, 2022 1:33 am

Just stoked with Joplin today!! Hauled her to Poplar Place to school in their show arena. Only the second time she’s been hauled off and ridden. Got to see a herd of cows that she was a bit wide eyed at but then got over them quickly. Lunged just a bit within site of the cows then walked her to the arena and hand walked her to see the arenas and judges boxes. Not much concerned her so I hopped on and went to work. We’ve never cantered in a dressage arena before so spent time going through our paces. Her trot work was exemplary with fabulous lateral work and especially good half passes. Those Iberians are made to go sideways! Joplin’s canter needs a bit more strength for collection. I was pleased though she could canter pretty much the first level work with the long sides a bit of CC 15 m circles and going across the diagonal.
She also nailed the CL halt. Extremely happy with my worker bee!!

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... 10538/?d=n

No video unfortunately but did snap a picture of her after our session. Poplar place is so generous to allow people to come school and the new footing since change of ownership is lovely.

Major happy dance!

Yikes chisamba! 6 horses ridden and a nor easter you are Wonder Woman!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 20, 2022 2:48 am

Warmish but with a brisk, gusty breeze this morning by the time I got to the barn (after a thoroughly frazzling client appointment.) The indoor was rattling pretty hard, so I crossed my fingers and went outside. Apparently, Potters is very much an outdoor horse :). He didn't flick an ear at the wind blowing dust devils around his feet, and the trees waving around. I, on the other hand, was struggling to breathe in the swirling tree pollen. Anyway, I had a very nice ride and I'm really happy!

I can't ride tomorrow, and Thursday is looking unlikely, so superworkingstudent is going to be my crash test dummy and take him out on a trail ride in the big bowl behind the farm.

Thursday, they start demolishing derelict buildings around the farm and the new footing is supposed to be arriving, so I shan't be sorry to miss that malarkey. Then the weather is supposed to fall apart for a few days--then of course they have to tear the arenas apart to re-do them, so that's going to make for an interesting few weeks. The outdoor should be really straightforward, maybe a 3 day job, but the indoor is really getting ripped apart, so I suspect we will be without that for a couple of weeks. Then there's grading, new paddocks, new fencing, new driveways, etc., to do. We will have the most desensitized horses on the planet by the time all is said and done.

Sue B, I hope the ankle is feeling better this evening. If it's not one thing, it's another!

How's the face, Tanga?

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:40 pm

Like your rides, exvet. What are you getting on those "changes?"

Moutaineer, well, it feels OK, and my lip has swollen more evenly, so now I look like bad lip plumping on just my upper lip. I'm feeling lucky, though. If I had hit my chin or nose, I think it would be much worse. It's just annoying now. My judging job for Sunday got postponed because they don't think the ring will be OK, which is a good thing, because I don't think I'm going to be looking great, not that it really matters.

How is everyone doing with allergies? Man. It's bad here. Barely any rain, but enough to keep things blooming. The 24 hour allergy meds and flonase is not cutting it. Besides the weather, people say it's because developers have been planting only male trees because they are cleaner, so those more male trees are releasing a lot me pollen. Yep. We're allergic to tree sperm.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:17 pm

Tanga - 3/4 mostly on 3-2 but a 5.5 at 3-1 for the first one and I think a 4 on the second one.

Allergy animal cases make up most of my medical caseload right now.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:30 pm

Same on the allergies same meds, might as well not bother--it's been windy here, so everything is stirred up. I live on a creek, the barn is on a creek, and I appear to be allergic to willow pollen. Bad planning, there.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Apr 21, 2022 1:30 am

Second lesson with the new instructor today went well. Annabelle was still tense, but better than the first time, and of course the instructor had a better idea of where we are in our training and pushed us some more. That looked like Trot/Halt/Trot while staying in SI, as well as Canter/W/C staying in slight shoulder in. She had me riding A's poll a little higher, and really collecting the canter down into the walk transition, and we got some pretty nice ones. We also worked on lengthening/medium trot, but A was distracted staring at a horse or person or something - we still got some decent work, but the loss of focus was kind of annoying. We'll go back in two weeks, and I have some things to focus on in the meantime.

Focusing on insisting that Tesla step forward to a shorter rein the last couple rides. She doesn't love it, but is getting better.
Keep calm and canter on.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:31 am

Allergies :evil: Left Bay Area to go to NYC for a short trip. Went from west coast tree pollen to east coast tree pollen. Yuck!!!!! It's raining cottonwood balls at my barn.
Piggy got shoes back on. I think the farrier was too aggressive on the heels and he's been ouchy and landing toe first since. But he's coming out of it. I was hand walking him and he overreached and clipped my heel. I was wearing sneakers and ended up with a massive purple bruise but no broken skin. Went home and ordered a pair of paddock boots after listening to my husband give me a lecture.
One of our local show venues (Starr Vaughn) cancelled May shows. I may have wasted my membership fees this year. Oh well...

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Apr 21, 2022 4:19 am

Nice to know the whole country is suffering from the worst allergies ever! Yeah, exvet, I figured I have three (of six) cats that have allergies because we all start having issues at the same time. Good thing I bought three air filters with cleanable air filters after the fires two years ago so at least we can all hide in the house if we need to breath. I seriously should start wearing a mask outside for allergies! Gaia seems to want us to wear masks.

goldhorse--Starr Vaughn cancelled shows in May? Weird. Everyone is messed up from the EHV lockdown in March, and we all know what happens to the air in August/Sept. in the valley, so I would think everyone would be looking for shows and they would have them! Or, i think everyone is just giving up! Ugh. Plagues, fires. I am so glad the AA champs. are at Woodside. I hope they consider moving the regular champs. to Woodside. I'm thinking anything in the valley and foothills won't be having breatable air in August/Sept. for a long time.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:14 am

I don't really have allergies...but this year, I think I have allergies. My barn also have a creek and willows and the wind has been blowing a fair bit. Between that and the hair. Lordy, Kyra has been shedding since early January (she is under lights about 12 hrs/day so she kicked off shedding early). I am not sure she will ever get done...probably about August when she will then start shedding her summer hair. Of course, I look like a snowman by the time I am done grooming.

I think Kyra is suffering from an excess of energy. Her behavior is fine...she isn't being a butt in-hand, about grooming or anything like that but under saddle she is like the EverReady bunny. She goes and goes and goes...and I don't :P . We had nice trot work but then for canter, she just got shorter and more balled up and tense. So...I let the reins out and let her go. As long as she wasn't totally on the forehand or bearing down on the bridle, I just let her roll and after a couple circles, she would actually slow down from my seat without shortening the reins. I don't get it. She was 'normal' in November and December post move but after the winter pause for snow and frozen ground she has just been a dynamo. She wasn't spooky at all today...just go, go, go. Yesterday, I long reined her and same story. She has some lovely lengthened trot on the circle...that seemed to be her only gear. I will hang in there...and by damned, I am going to get in shape ;) . I think part of it has been the fizzy weather. For sure, she doesn't get as much movement as she did at the other place but like I said, in hand she is pretty foot perfect. At the other barn if she was wound up from the weather, she was wound up...leading her could be more like kite flying. I am also going to take my Prestige saddle out and try it again. I am not sure it will even fit her as she has developed some nice muscling on the alfalfa hay. If it doesn't fit her well, I am going to sell it. I may sell it anyway if my balance is still wonky in it. I have lost 16lbs though so it may be better. The seat was a bit snug before the weight loss. Worth a trial anyway.

Tanga, I am glad the lip is healing. Goldhorse...boots might help. One time several years ago when Kyra was in one of her kite modes, she ran past me through a gate and nailed my left foot. That was one time I was glad I had boots on. However, her plant the foot and twist it completely ripped the boot. I try to be good and wear my boots.

Susan

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:30 pm

Gorgeous yesterday evening, so after re-wrapping Rudy's foot, I took Tio for a spin :D Did my brain a world of of wonder but ankle thought that was a little much. Every time I tried to wrap my left leg around Tio's big belly, my ankle would shriek "No! No!" so no really functional left leg, hehe. Tio kept trying to grab a looksee. I don't normally ride him unless I'm fully functional, so it was rather disconcerting to him to have lame rider up, lol. He was a good egg about it all though. Today, the wind is howling yet again and it's supposed to rain the next couple of days. Oh well, we need the moisture.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Apr 22, 2022 1:32 am

We have live oak pollen all over the place. Even the horses’ noses are covered with pollen. The gale force winds are no help blowing the stuff away….this too shall pass.

I was scheduled to look at the Andalusian mare yesterday, but at 7 am I got a text from trainer saying she had to cancel because her assistant’s FEI horse just had a heart attack and died. So sad. And my SIL who is here with my brother got bad news from her oncologist.Chemo is no longer working. They are so positive though, and will be starting clinical trials. Stage 4 colon cancer. They have been fighting it for almost 4 years. They have been traveling from MI every two months to go to MD Anderson in Houston. I pick them up in Austin and they stay here and drive back and forth to Houston. Life is strange. But at least we are alive.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:11 pm

Lovely ride out in the field today on Joplin being able to work on T C T transitions on a straight line. Huge progress for my worker bee!

I also found a decent bareback pad for Gaila. Cushy under the tush.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:27 pm

We are 5 for 5 on real solid rides on miss Kora. I'm truly just focusing on getting her freely forward in all gaits and happy doing it. We did do a dry run of the jankiest of 1st3 tests, but hey all the parts were there in the right spots so I'm happy with that.

We've slotted in a Ride/Review ride and schooling show ahead of paying entry for 1st comp of the year in June. Taps foot waiting on jacket to appear...

Demi, very poignant words. At least we are.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Apr 22, 2022 10:26 pm

Lunged Junior on Tuesday night after work. He was nice and adjustable at the canter. Rode Junior yesterday working simply on keeping him supple. Rode today in a clinic with my fave Ellie Stine-Masek. We worked specifically on getting him and keeping him more supple in the canter. Towards the end of the lesson, Junior had a terrific collected canter that was adjustable and engaged. He also had some killer medium trot; but, what was most notable was his collected trot that per Ellie made him looked like a shrink-wrapped warmblood. Usually he likes to give me this little pony trot for the collected. He's forward but not really through and demonstrating the swing through the back everyone wants to see; but, today was different. Ellie helped me establish and feel when I had him stepping up with his hind end, sitting and pushing off while coming over the back AND suppling him in front BEFORE I lost it. Of course he couldn't sustain 'this' trot for long periods. Now I have lots of homework to focus on for the next several weeks as I build his strength. Next week's lesson will be on Brandon. We'll see if my regular instructor sees any improvement since I haven't had a lesson on him for close to two months. He of course got into it again with one of the other 2 and came in yesterday mid morning when I went to ride him with a stove pipe back leg that he hadn't had when I fed him breakfast. He's sound but continues to get banged up right and left (at least his two back cannons match now :roll: )

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:50 pm

SOunds like an awesome clinic exvet, love it when one gets such improvement.

So sorry about your about your SIL, Demi, my dad died from colon cancer long time ago. So much has improved these days,, but... :cry:

The weather precludes any riding report but I would just like to report that Rudy, my incredibly wonderful TB, is not only a dressage horse but a magician too! Yesterday morning a walked out to treat Rudy and check the bandage I put on him Wednesday evening only to find he had somehow pulled the pillow wrap out without disturbing the gauze and tape it was secured with! Wrap looked totally fine from a distance and I actually didn't notice the missing padding until I went to change the bandage! I have absolutely no. idea. how he did that, but I did eventually find the padding undamaged elsewhere in the pasture. He is without wrap now, barely a limp in extended trot; so if the wind ever dies down I WILL be able to ride!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:31 pm

Saturday was blustery, and they were loading manure next to the arena with a skidsteer. They also used it to pull back the built up footing around the edge of the outdoor arena. It must be the season for arena work. Tesla very oddly just wanted to be over in the corner near the work. Once we passed, she would dive into the middle of the arena and try to go back and at one point kicked the fence pretty hard (while not missing a trot beat) in protest when I put my leg on. Once we got a somewhat obedient trot circle, I let her stand over there and watch the action and called it a day. Picking battles and all that.

Sunday was a lovely calm day with no machinery next to the arena and I had nice rides on both girls. Tesla cantered both ways, and is getting much better with her trot lateral work (which leads into coiling the spring enough that she'll canter). I dropped a video of some of what A and I are working on in the video thread. Finally paid my USEF and USDF dues this weekend, and will be entering a show May 21-22. I'm going to bite the bullet and enter 2nd-1 as well as 1st-3. The worst that will happen is I'll embarrass myself and get a bad score, and learn what to work on for next time. We'll probably show again June 4th/5th, but the closing date is just after the May show, so I can decide on tests afterwards. Both shows are at the same venue, and Annabelle seems to do pretty well there, but I am planning to stable her there at least for the first show.
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 25, 2022 4:05 pm

great to hear everyone's progress.

Things have been busy here--life, work, adjusting to new barn things.

MM is doing ok, her resting respiratory rates fluctuates between a 10-20 depending on the day (and perhaps time of day too). But we have been walking a lot and good news is that even a brisk walk over varied terrain does not increase the rate by much (16-24 depending on where she started). And so with some trepidation I have introduced some trot the last two rides--3 minutes trotting in the field. Both times after that she got up to 40 bpm (I'm not sure what is 'normal' for her or a trotting horse, unfortunately). But both times came back to her walking rate within a minute of walking and then back to resting rate within a minute of full rest. So recovery seems good. And now that I know her current trotting is 40 bpm, I will look for her to be at that or less. I'm also trying to keep in mind that she has been off work since end of Feb, so there is also a general fitness factor.

RP has been struggling with the adjustment to the new barn. His digestive system is still adjusting to new hay/grass (everything else he's getting is the same). But we will be gone wed-sun this week for a wedding so hoping he will be better once we're back. I was hoping to do a show with him memorial day weekend (our first of the year), but now it's looking like that might be difficult, which is a bummer I'm having serious show withdrawal!

On the other hand it might be ok because I now have two potential clinic opportunities, that would sandwich that show. May 21-22 albrecht heidemann, a clincian I've audited before but never ridden with, but always wanted to is coming. So I am planning on doing one day with him. And then june 4/5 I've won a raffle for a spot in a Jeremy Steinberg clinic. I need to decide if i want to do it. It's part of a series that gets a LOT of auditors and I do have some anxiety around people watching me ride. And well, right now, RP and I can barely trot a circle, ha.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:20 pm

Demi, thinking of your SIL.

Exvet, Straightforward, Khall and Aleuronx- sounds like things are going well and very exciting!! Spring is in the air.

I have two things to report. On Saturday I took a friends pony to his first Dressage show. It didn't go exactly as hoped but it was okay. He's a very green older pony. Basically was backyard trained and ran at jumps. So he's green and a little nervous. I've only rode him twice. But we got through two intro tests. With a few spooks, one error and a little bit of a lost forward button down centerline. Lol he can be electric and really behind the leg so I wish I had the whip. I do think it was a positive experience overall for him though. Just a little tougher for me ha ha.

Lynx is doing better after getting hind shoes back on, a few days of equioxx/ surpass and light strengthening work in hand. Rode Sunday and did trot poles. He was fresh and excited but felt better. We didn't canter but will see how this week goes.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Apr 26, 2022 1:26 pm

I have ridden with Jeremy S and also audited a number of times. I and my horse have improved a lot from what we learned from him---like that I could increase my demands on my mare and myself (at that time).

I think he is very fair, but I would most enjoy riding with him when my horse is fit and healthy. He doesn't do anything unfair for anyone, but his prime approach is certainly to go directly into routine work and have you ride with focus and effort as he talks theory or bigger picture issues + cheers you on in the work.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Apr 26, 2022 3:51 pm

Ditto on what piedmontfields said about Jeremy S, that's pretty much how I remember my lesson from last fall. Verbose but fair to the horse and supportive of the rider. I will likely hit him up again when he comes the end of May. Nice to get a different voice/perspective sometimes.

blob if you don't feel ready with RP then maybe wait especially if you get nerves in front of people but I'd imagine from Jeremy it would be a valuable experience if you decide to do it.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Apr 26, 2022 4:04 pm

Thanks, PF and Aleuronx helpful to hear from people who have ridden with him. I am definitely ok with someone who is tough on me. I want my money's worth! And I do tend to thrive with instructors who are tough or even harsh.

I don't think it's that RP isn't fit or healthy just that he is unpredictable and sometimes is in meltdown mode for no clear reason. And the barn move has put him in meltdown mode. At shows I can hide this because I can ride conservatively and carefully if he happens to be in one of his dysfunction states and still do ok. But the point of a clinic is not to be conservative and survive it. It's just hard to predict because he could be great leading up to it and then be in meltdown mode that week or it could be the opposite, all meltdown leading up and back to normal when we're there.

I wish MM was healthy and fit, she would be a good one to take to deal with nerves. She is predictably the same always and is always rideable/workable even if she's not at her best.

i have until May 5th to confirm my spot, so I will think on it some more!

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:16 pm

blob wrote:Thanks, PF and Aleuronx helpful to hear from people who have ridden with him. I am definitely ok with someone who is tough on me. I want my money's worth! And I do tend to thrive with instructors who are tough or even harsh.

I don't think it's that RP isn't fit or healthy just that he is unpredictable and sometimes is in meltdown mode for no clear reason. And the barn move has put him in meltdown mode. At shows I can hide this because I can ride conservatively and carefully if he happens to be in one of his dysfunction states and still do ok. But the point of a clinic is not to be conservative and survive it. It's just hard to predict because he could be great leading up to it and then be in meltdown mode that week or it could be the opposite, all meltdown leading up and back to normal when we're there.

I wish MM was healthy and fit, she would be a good one to take to deal with nerves. She is predictably the same always and is always rideable/workable even if she's not at her best.

I have only had a few clinics over all these years with BNTs/judges who resulted in me deciding that they weren't worth the expense. I too tend to thrive under direct and exacting type of people and have found, to be totally honest, several of the Germans teaching the older 'German system' to be the right fit for me regardless of the horse. I have a friend who is a devoted follower of Jeremy's. She has a somewhat difficult and unpredictable thoroughbred and two warmblood mares with a bit more talent for dressage, though each are very different from the other. My friend is extremely conscientious of her horses' health and well-being; and is definitely not one to over face either. I have never ridden with him; but, would be inclined to give it a try based on her experience.

That being said, I will NOT let anyone, no matter who the BNT is, push my horse beyond the edge. He may give you valuable tools to help RP. I'm sure he would really like him based on the videos I've seen you two and what I've heard (about Jeremy). If it were me and you feel RP is sound and fit enough for the clinic I would enter with the approach that I'm seeking his help for management of the meltdown and tips/advice on how to 'get my horse back' into a productive mindset in similar situations. I would also enter/go with the personal mindset that I can afford to cut the session short (throw away the money) if I feel that my horse would be better off not continuing through the ride/clinic. Out of respect to the hosts, I would give them a heads up that this is my intent in case they would rather I did not ride or wished to ask Jeremy if he felt that this is a task/mission he wants to accept before any monies changed hands; but, that's just me.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:53 pm

I have early exited a couple of clinics but it was not because of harsh or overbearing instruction but because my horse was obviously discomforted by the style of riding.

That said I mostly want to really benefit from the instruction and on two occasions when I have had an over reactive horse it was mostly a waste of my money and the clinicians time.

From the above you will draw the obvious conclusion that I like taking advantage of clinicians when available.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Tue Apr 26, 2022 8:27 pm

I had a gelding who could really benefit from clinics-- talented and occasionally hot, but had the kind of temperament that could take pressure outside of his normal fare and he'd dig down and try-- and I thought, foolishly, that meant that I was a great rider who could benefit from clinics and everyone else must be less teachable yadda yadda yadda. In my defense, I was in college and invincible and you don't recognize that you're being insufferable in the moment.

And then I got a mare who sounds a bit similar to RP, temperament-wise: took a bit of management to keep out of meltdown-mode, and that's when I learned that in fact I had (still have?) a lot to learn. Because you don't typically get that kind of management-of-meltdown-mode space with clinicians, especially not the GMO glamor clinics, and paying for that particular horse to go to high-$$ lessons was a waste of time and money. Not a waste of time or money: recurring clinics with a trainer whose style I knew/understood and who, crucially, knew and understood us and our limits as well.

I have ridden with Jeremy Steinberg (with the meltdown mare) and it didn't go great through no real fault of anybody's-- minimal warm-up space at the facility meant that my mare got VERY FRAZZLED by the (perfectly normal and within reasonable ranges unless you're forced to keep somewhat close proximity) whip activity of the previous rider who was finishing up her lesson, and I just did not have time/space to get her to settle into productivity. And, in a blow to my worldview, I was not the rider/trainer that could get her to settle quickly. If I had had my gelding there, I think it would have been an entirely different experience.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:00 pm

Very thoughtful, and interesting comments on clinics. This is a great BB.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:02 am

blob wrote:Thanks, PF and Aleuronx helpful to hear from people who have ridden with him. I am definitely ok with someone who is tough on me. I want my money's worth! And I do tend to thrive with instructors who are tough or even harsh.

Honestly, Jeremy seems to do well with these types. I'd go, personally. I've ridden with him and auditing with him multiple times. I've seen him be tough (but fair) but I've also seen him be very gentle and flexible.

Editing to add, I do try to audit before riding with someone new.
Last edited by Lipsmackerpony88 on Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:09 am

I tend to stick with the realm of trainers who my trainers ride with- not so much that it's limiting but the overall philosophy is the same.

I don't like it when clinics are way too outside the normal trajectory- sometimes i feel that it changes things for the horse so far outside the program that it may cause problems/loss of confidence. There were years where I was heavy into a new (home) trainer and I had NO brainspace for anything.

Right now I have two regular trainers and ride with a GP clinician 4x a year. That GP clinician is the right mix of pushing but in a way that is a dialog and motivating. I don't think this style would work for me everyday. It's such a personal choice what clinics to do. As much as I value education its ok to say "no". I would never ride with someone unless i audited- I think that saved me from some bad clinics- I knew right off that wouldn't work for me.

Strangely, every single person LOVES my pinto arab. He's above average talent wise but.....

blob

Postby blob » Wed Apr 27, 2022 12:53 am

demi wrote:Very thoughtful, and interesting comments on clinics. This is a great BB.

Very much agree with this! Thank you to everyone for thoughtful responses and different ways of thinking about this.

Last year I had the goal of getting out and showing as much as possible. This year, I had hoped to do some clinics to get more experience and learn more.

I agree with the sentiments of trying to audit a clinician first, working with one who compliments your primary instructor, and also the benefit of riding with a clinician who continues to come back to the area. And I think I am getting all of this from the other clinician I am riding with in a smaller, private clinic. And I am excited about this!

But also listening to people's reflections on clinics in general and on JS in particular, I think I will take the spot and go prepared to learn and also to be an advocate for RP and the fact that he does not have the same capacity for new challenges that others might. It's also good advice, Exvet, to be upfront with the organizers. I think there is a good chance that RP might be a lot like your mare, Ponichiwa--your example sounds like things that would also be very difficult for him to settle from. But I think it will also be valuable for me to see how he does with this kind of challenge. At shows it's easy to say 'ok, the place is different, but we're doing everything else the same'. But a clinic is not just a different place, but also asking for different things. So, I think it will be useful for me to see how he handles the bigger questions.

As I was reading through the responses, I was also thinking through what I would say I was working on/wanted to work on. And honestly I think the right answer is around how to maintain the ability to go from some of the more difficult work back to relaxation and then back to the more difficult work again. And so if he DOES have a meltdown, hopefully we will be able to find the relaxation.

I will say this is definitely a GMO glamour clinic, but at least I can put some fancy pads I got for Christmas to good use!

khall

Postby khall » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:11 am

Blob is it at Shannondale? I’ve never audited JS. I have no idea what he’s like. Hope you can get some good help from him

Taking Gaila tomorrow. Her boyfriend in a box came today. We short cycled her Saturday.

blob

Postby blob » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:17 am

khall wrote:Blob is it at Shannondale? I’ve never audited JS. I have no idea what he’s like. Hope you can get some good help from him

Taking Gaila tomorrow. Her boyfriend in a box came today. We short cycled her Saturday.

Oh, so fun! Fingers crossed for smooth breeding!It is at Shannondale!

I've audited clinics there before, but never ridden there. It does seem like it can be quite an intense clinic experience with lots of auditors and such. But I think it will ultimately be a good chance for me to battle some of my riding in front of others anxiety

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 1:52 am

Blob, I think that sounds like a great plan. The nice thing about Jeremy is there lots of videos on YouTube of his clinics, as well as his own channel with videos of him riding. He's also published a lot of articles so I feel he's easy to get a sense of without auditing.

I think giving the organizer a heads up would be good but think it will be a valuable opportunity!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 27, 2022 4:11 am

I've audited him several times, never ridden with him, but I would say he seems pretty reasonable and horse centric, which is always a positive. He is quite disarmingly blunt and funny as well.

Charlotte Bredahl is swinging by our barn on Thursday to give boss trainer a lesson on the 80k horse, which will be an interesting auditing opportunity!

I dont have much to report except steady progress back to some degree of normal, which is pretty great, actually. I will be happy when allergy season dies down a bit and I can breathe again. I'm in horrible shape, really, but I'm working on it!

In yet more clinic activity, I spent a chunk of the weekend auditing Mette Rosencrantz as I wasn't up to riding for her this time. I gained many useful insights and was told that I needed to be ready for her when she comes back in 2 months.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Apr 27, 2022 5:11 pm

Whew, I don't know where time goes. My time management skills are not good. With that, next month I plan on going to the barn Sunday, Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. Those are the guaranteed barn days (yeah, right :roll: ) and keeps my butt from getting too sore from consecutive days of riding. That leaves appointment availability on M/W/F. That doesn't mean I won't go to the barn on M/W or F but I am trying to get both Mom and myself into some kind of regular schedule. When the weather gets hot, of course, barn time will be in the AM.

I made it to the barn yesterday. Got her groomed (and she was a mess from AM rain), saddled and made it about 5-7 minutes until the heavens opened up again. So that was a short ride and not very productive. Before that, the last ride, I set up 4 cones in a square about 10' x 10'. When she got worked up about whatever, we halted in the square and I dropped the reins until she relaxed and then we struck off again. I did figure eights with the cone square being the middle of the 8. That seemed to work pretty well to avoid the tension escalation she has been doing lately. She was looking forward to being able to chill for a minute or so. I was going to set it up yesterday but decided if I did that, that most likely I would get no ride time before getting a shower. I do hope I can figure out the tension issues. I am going to try my other saddle and see if that might help. I really don't think it is a saddle issue but who knows. She did move stalls so it will be interesting to see if she settles a bit more without her neighbor biting her butt all the time. He was kind of one of those he loves me...he loves me not geldings. Of course she plays her part too :P . Maybe now she will be a little more at peace? We will see.

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:12 pm

I'm closing this out as work is nuts for me right now and I have 5 mins to update that we got nothing done, lol.

Me:
Pick up weights again, 2x a week to startOh boy, I guess I did set these? Will definitely carry over to the next section and hope to implement
Maybe yoga? Maybe some HIIT videos? Something? We are doing a long dog hike/walk on Sunday's so not a total fail

Kora:
Get back into solid work under saddleWe did, but just barely a few weeks ago. I think we have a better management plan for next year transition time.
Truck out 6+ times. Investigating a new place this weekend that is closer to me but smaller indoor arena.Went to this new place but yes indoor was a postage stamp but we did ride around. 6+ trips did not happen.
Hack out more than lunge if home indoor is busy and weather allowsWe did a bit of hacking
Get thy to trainer when she's home in April to prep for shows (??)Not yet, wanted to get fitness up and consistency before we spent the money on getting yelled at to go around.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:47 pm

Gosh I can't believe it's almost May, here's my wrap up:

Me:
Do some kind of non-horse related working out 1x a week Nope, this remains a hope and a dream
cook or eat leftovers 5x a week
Learn how to/practice driving a trailer

MM:
Find a way to get us out of our rut--cross train, more lessons, something
Work on giving lighter aids and getting bigger reaction
work on fluid canter transitions (from trot and walk)
Work on halfpass zig zags at trot

Get settled at new place
All of my work with MM got shifted with her asthma. So while there seems to be a lot of red, that is mostly because we really had to shift our focus entirely on getting her healthy.

RP:
Practice 1-3 not nearly as much as I should have
Trot poles
Continue working on SI and LY
Get settled at new place still a WIP
Last edited by blob on Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:31 pm

No kidding to the time flying! right?

I too have some 'similar goals" A. I need to lose 5 lbs. Much of it is muscle from all the work I'm doing but I don't like the creep. As for the rest of my goals, well of course it's to improve my riding.......more of the same in terms of what I need to do to improvement myself.

Well I did accomplish this though there's still room for more improvement. I hope to continue my current level of working out and use of bands to help my muscle memory improve in regards to my hands.

Brandon - get him comfortable cantering away from home and finally do a respectable training level test away from home - likely not this go round but a reasonable goal for the next.

Brandon and I are getting there. His balance in the canter is gradually improving and we have a lesson on Sunday; so, I finally get to test him away from home. I have a schooling show next weekend where I've entered him in Intro C and Training level Test 1. I think we can pull it off but we'll see.

Junior - show third at the April show and see if we're worthy of continuing from there. I also plan to do more jumping.

YES! We came, we rode, we accomplished and now to keep working on those flying changes and getting him more comfortable relaxing and coming over the back all the while engaging his hind end. I have entered him in the schooling show next weekend as well, 3rd-1 and 3rd-2. My goals is to get at least a couple of 6s on the flying changes.

Ace - the ever present steady eddie pet. He's just a love all the way around. He may never win a ribbon or an award but he's probably the only one who truly is irreplicable, well second to Junior.

What can I say? This guy just keeps stepping up to the plate. We had a rather large party last Saturday night and really all of the horses were more than happy to receive attention from all those who wanted to go pet them, but Ace always seems to be the favorite for his very laid back yet friendly attitude.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Apr 28, 2022 3:56 pm

April is going out with whatever the opposite of a bang is-- whimper? Slow fade?-- thanks to deadlines at work. So the wrap:

Ponichiwa wrote:Anyway, our goals this time around are fairly simple:
Queso:
- Half steps 1x/week for bodybuilding and improving the balance and engagement in extensions and in the canter
- Touch on flying changes 1x/week-- hoping to get them clean and uphill and on the aids and supple by the end of this challenge. Right now we get to pick about 2-3 of those attributes at a time.
- Strech goal-- maybe go to a show? Hesitant to commit thanks to my somehow simultaneously lethargic and arduous weight loss journey

This we did. And I'm seeing improvements in elevation of the forehand + ability to extend in both trot and canter thanks to half-steps; downside is I am also getting lots of unsolicited levade if Q gets too balled-up. It's adorable, so I'm having a hard time getting mad about it.

Ponichiwa wrote:Me:
- Walk, ride, or bike at least 40min/d
- Lose 5 lb

Did the first but not the second. These 5 lb have been depressingly stubborn.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:03 pm

Moutaineer wrote:Hmmm... goals...

I think the number one thing is to get this darned shoulder healed up so I'm not telegraphing disturbing feelings of vulnerability to my horse.

I'll revisit other more lofty riding goals once that's resolved.

Well, my goals were not lofty, but I think I've achieved them... I'm pretty happy with how we are finishing out the month, all in all. My shoulder is pretty much healed, I'm feeling more confident, and my horse seems to be developing some confidence in me. And I've worked out quite a few things with a lot of walk work. And our canter is improving exponentially with every ride.

Maybe we can now start to make some forward progress.

Return to “Dressage Training”