April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby khall » Sun May 15, 2022 10:17 pm

Demi so sorry about your sil. I hope her trip back home goes smoothly. Peace to you and your family. Jingles for clean ppe! Excited to see some video. I know it’s difficult to even think about a new horse. But hopefully she will give you something to look forward to.

StraightForward

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 15, 2022 11:54 pm

Demi, the situation with your SIL sounds very distressing. Jingles for her and your whole family! The mare sounds very exciting, I really hope the PPE is perfect and everything works out.

Yesterday's ride on Tesla went quite well. I swear my instructor is a magician, and gave us just the right tools to get to the next step. Not that it was easy to get her into a canter, and it was still more of a hectic hand gallop, but there was a marked improvement in the general obedience and ability to stay on the bit in our W/T, W/H transitions. She is starting to feel more like a grown up horse that I can think about taking places. I'm about to bite the bullet and sign her up for a clinic at the end of July. Next week I'm thinking I'll take her to the local instructor for a lesson and see what happens (assuming our haul-out ride tomorrow doesn't go pear shaped).

I was hoping A would be back to work this week, but she still looked a little off on the lunge in the indoor, which as gotten pretty hard packed. She'll get her third shot of Adequan on Wednesday, so hopefully there will be some effect by next weekend. If not I'll see what other steps the vet might suggest.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon May 16, 2022 4:49 am

Demi, jingles for SIL and family. I am glad she can get back home. The new horse sounds exciting and jingling for a clean PPE.
SF...so glad that Tesla seems to be getting "it". Good luck with the travels.

Kyra is sound...I think the issue the other day was that the trimmer left a bunch of sole that ended up below the level of the hoof wall so she was standing only on a big strip of sole on the concrete and she didn't like it. I mentioned that she wasn't exfoliating sole like she used to at the old barn and she said it was ready to let go. NO, it is still really well attached but she won't touch any sole between the frog and toe :roll: . Yes, perfect theory says that but in real life...I took my dull hoof knife to both fronts. No way I was going to take too much off. We will discuss next time.

My last two rides have been pretty good. I think the magnesium is helping. She has been on the loading dose for about 5 days now. Yesterday, I was not very aggressive with my ride as I wanted to make sure she was sound. We were stuck in 1/2 of the smaller arena due to wetness but we probably had an area of 15 m x 25 m so plenty of room to ride. It seems her canter has returned. I wasn't even going to canter for a week or two but just had to test her relaxation ;) . Her canter was much better and half-haltable with a much better tempo. She even gave me some nice trot lengthening. I didn't ask for more that 5-6 strides but it was definitely there. With warmer temps, the big arena was open again and can I just say, having good footing is so nice. At the old barn, there were days I couldn't even walk in it (granted my surgically repaired feet aren't very cooperative) but I just hated making her work in that stuff if I was having problems walking in it. Today she got a bit bothered by something in her second canter set, and she tensed up again but it was half-haltable and she came back to me. I could half-halt and allow the reins and she actually stayed right there. That hasn't happened all spring.
I also got a super SI on the right rein. Left wasn't bad but on the right rein I got really nice bend and no change in forward or tempo. She has tomorrow off. Hopefully, she will get access to her run soon. Today, finally the snow was all gone but the rest was still wet with lots of green slime :P .

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon May 16, 2022 1:25 pm

Demi, I wish you strength and positive vibes regarding your SIL's situation. Good luck with the PPE too.

The lesson with the 'new' clinician went well yesterday. She gave me some really good exercises to work on with Junior and targeted homework. One specific exercise that I think is going to be the key to us confirming the flying changes requires a ton more canter (no surprise). During my lesson it took her 3 seconds to figure out that I'm riding a fire plug......LOL. In addition to some exercises to create lateral suppleness at the walk with some real parameters that get Junior relaxing and creating more stretch through his shoulders. She stated that he uses his hind end well but is too tight through the shoulders (a common Welsh Cob dilemma). I don't have high hopes to increase his walk scores, but it will hopefully help with the rest of his work. At best Junior will always be a 6 on walk and at his worst a 5 (at least it's pure). At the canter she had me ride shoulder-in to haunches in - using the shoulder in to create impulsion and the haunches in to create more collection, almost pirouette canter. She would then have me ride a leg yield in the canter to the other side and rinse and repeat in the other direction. I was told that until I had the same canter in both directions, no more flying changes. So as a 'test' she would also have me ride a short diagonal starting with the shoulder in on the initial lead but then establish the bend to the other direction without allowing him to change. He was to bend in the ribcage and continue the counter canter. She also insisted that if Junior tries to do his skip a beat flying change, I was to punish the crap out of him (not beat him to death but make him think I am) and then go back to exactly what we were/are doing, moving the subject back to the original exercise ASAP. None of my other instructors have recommended any sort of reprimand for offering a change, no matter how incorrect it is. Knowing how I had to put the 'respect' into him to keep the counter canter (and how much work that took but, in the end, we came to the understanding that if I want him to keep the CC he does), I think her approach will have more success in getting him to truly bend through the rib cage and then ultimately truly confirmed and consistent in correct flying changes; but we shall see. I know she works with all sorts of breeds but she did have some disparaging comments about Morgans during my lesson. She knows Junior is a Welsh Cob because one of her students was the rider that followed me in the Lilo Fore clinic............can't wait to unveil Brandon LOL. She knows I'm a 'retired' welsh cob breeder but she has no clue as to my family's background with Morgans.

The long and the short of it though is I'm having to change my plans for the upcoming recognized show in June. I was planning on taking Junior; but, instead I am going to take Brandon and show training level. My focus will be simply to give him a good experience at a large show venue. Simple, straight forward and sweet!

khall

Postby khall » Mon May 16, 2022 1:59 pm

Exvet it sounds very similar to the approach that JP and Cedar has for FCs. If you want I can pm a video that shows what JP had Cedar doing with Zorro as a young horse who now is well confirmed GP with lovely tempi changes

https://fb.watch/d247L2P6sF/

Well shoot no black dot:(. Ah well. Won’t try again Gaila will just be a riding horse.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon May 16, 2022 5:29 pm

Oh khall what a bummer. Not gonna lie I was looking forward to your foal pics from Gaila.

Sounds like some interesting exercises to rebuild that lateral suppleness in the canter and submission to the aids exvet. Teaching and developing good flying changes can be such a back and forth. Will be interested to hear how the exercises help or not.

Chucked Kora in the trailer yesterday and headed out on a long drive for a schooling show. It wasn't my first choice of venues as warmup was an indoor and it was a 2 hr trek but I wanted to ensure that she could manage a longer travel and still walk off the trailer and show as our first recognized show is a similar travel time.

Well long story short she was a rockstar. Traveled great, walked off the trailer and promptly started snacking on the field we were parked in, tacked up and walked over to the nightmare indoor (omg, the birds. Dive-bombing and flying into metal rafters and making horrible noises) survived and settled into a good enough warmup, then marched over to the outdoor arena and just went in and did her test. Mistakes were mine of not starting a leg yield quick enough as I was working the flexion and going over her canter lengthen balance by 3 mph so she popped a clean flying change prior to the transition to trot. I giggled as not one to discourage a nice change and just brought her down to trot early because who cares, schooling show if it eats 3 scores.

We scored a 66.8% and nabbed Kora a nice prize of treats for her efforts. The old ladies seated by the ring watching complemented me on my giggling during the test. I love that she's finding safety and becoming so rideable between the white boards. I'm quite excited for this summer.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon May 16, 2022 10:38 pm

Demi, fingers crossed for the PPE!
SF- glad things are going so well with Tesla. Hopefully Annabelle will be 100 % soon.
Susan- glad Kyra seems to be doing better!

Exvet, sounds like an interesting clinic. I can't wait to hear how Brandon does at bigger show. You will be back there with Junior before you know it.

Aleuronx- what a good outcome at your show!! Congratulations.

We finally got working on practicing using my trailer on Saturday. Lynx took a tiny bit of encouragement/firm hand but he really wasn't nervous at all. He would stand on the trailer not tied or anything and happily munch some hay. I honestly think he didn't hop right on without encouragement only because we were parked next to grass and his 5-year-old mind kind of decided he should do it he wants. It's a little bit of a theme. Lol.

Sunday we had a pole work lesson. It was great. We just worked with 3 poles set in a curve on circle. But it really got him lifting and listening to my half halts. I was a little nervous about cantering them because he can get excited. And he was very happy to do them but also listen to my half halts and felt really good. Then we worked on our halts because we have a schooling show this weekend again. Last time I noticed he would have a really great halt but then immediately start backing up. At first my instructor thought maybe I had been doing something to provoke it but after watching me she decided that this was just another 5-year-old rebellion. He his never very naughty but he just looks for ways to change the game.

We will see how this weekend goes. I haven't quite decided what all I'm going to show. I may just do one class although I'm not sure which one. Maybe just Intro C. I'm also showing a friend's pony that is very green. My daughter is also going to do her first dressage show. She's pretty excited.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue May 17, 2022 1:58 pm

I'm sad to hear that Gaila didn't take. I'm excited to hear about Kora's sensible attitude and test.

I am trying to button up counter canter with Caliburn. I think we could pull off the daunting second level this year.

After doing a few cc Caliburn suddenly couldn't decide which lead I wanted. I had to really plane his hid quarters to get the lead was asking for.

With SaiphI'm having a difficult time fitting in three changes in the diagonal. I get two then go around the corner before getting the third. Lol

With Kimba we are playing. She is a very willing worker bee but can be strong on the reins and open her mouth so I'm playing with quality of connection.
Attachments
Cali countercanter.jpg
Cali countercanter.jpg (45.23 KiB) Viewed 11620 times

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed May 18, 2022 4:04 am

I have had 2 nice rides this week. I am thinking that the magnesium is helping but warmer weather doesn’t hurt either. She has been very fussy with bits again this spring.I had gotten a Fager titanium bit and she didn’t seem very happy with that one either. I went back to the NS Turtle Tactio and although she is a bit softer in the contact, she was still very fussy after her dental and foaming mostly only on the left side with not much saliva at all on the right side. So, back to the Fager and Sunday, she worked much better except when I would pick up the reins after a walk break. It would take her a few strides to truly find her happy place…but she did. Today, I dug out my drop noseband to see if I could stabilize things a bit. I can’t put a regular cavesson on her as it shoves all that excessive inner cheek tissue into her molars. Since the bit is a Baucher, I didn’t think it would work too well with the anatomical bridle I have.

The drop seems to help. She accepted it well and I didn’t have near the discussion with her every time I picked up the reins. We had some nice LY and SI and canter was even better. We were able to canter the rail all the way around without her getting tense and stilted. She had nice even salivation, not flinging foam out the left side and being rather dry on the right. She still wants to avoid the right rein but that is nothing new. Her second set of SI left was better with more bend and better acceptance.

So happy my quiet cooperative horse is back. She turns the big 2-0 on Thursday. She does not act her age at all.

Susan

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 18, 2022 2:45 pm

Chisamba do you start your changes sequence as soon as you get Saiph straight on the diagonal? I was having issues in Portugal fitting in the sequence changes on the quarter line in a small arena and that was the advice of the instructor. As soon as I turned and got straight change. Got 4 changes on quarter line in a small arena.

Hot hot and dry here:(. Had an illuminating ride on Joplin yesterday though. Think I finally have figured out how to ride her canter to get the consistency I need. It’s all about two things keeping my seat in the saddle and keeping her released to the bridle to the point of keeping her shoulders in alignment. I have to ride her a bit differently each lead.

blob

Postby blob » Wed May 18, 2022 11:50 pm

I have been reading along but slow to respond with my gimpy finger, typing has not been so easy.

Goldhorse--I am so sorry to hear this news. But I too am optimistic that Piggy will come through this. It sounds like he is in great hands with you and the vet team. Please keep us updated on how he is. And how you are!

SF--sounds like some productive work with Tesla--there are some horses that really do need some time to warm up and get themselves in the zone.

Demi--so sorry to hear about your SIL. But I am also excited for your possible new horse--how did PPE go? Keeping a horse in a 'program' can be quite a change, but it can also be rewarding and very educational.

Kyra's mom--glad to hear the magnesium seems to be helping

Khall--sorry to hear you didn't get a black dot. I also hope the situation with Juliet is working towards a good resolution

ExVet--sounds like a really good and useful clinic. Please keep us posted on the exercises and progress

Chisamba--between this post and video thread seems like you and your herd are doing some great work--love seeing Caliburn's tremendous progression!

Work and life has been exhausting lately and I am feeling a bit over-whelmed. I have a clinic on Saturday, but am very much not feeling ready for it. And to make things worse our arena is under repair so I haven't really been able to ride RP so we will go into the clinic fresh and out of work, which with him can be a mess. Sigh. Hoping for the best.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu May 19, 2022 1:51 am

Following along here... It's been a bit busy around here so I'm sorry if I am not keeping up with responses, but I'm reading everything!

Demi, I'm so sorry your SIL is having such a difficult time. Bless you for being so supportive, I'm sure she and her family find it comforting. It surely takes the wind out of your sails for buying a new horse, I'm sure. Difficult timing, but at least something to look forward to.

I hope the PPE has gone well. I'm getting a huge amount out of being in an organized program for the first time in my life. It's not just the riding and training, but the opportunity to be around serious, committed riders and fabulous horses. I learn something every day. Even if it's just about professional level grooming and turnout.

I'm sorry your hand is still giving you a hard time, Blob. You find out just how much you use your pinky finger when it's hurt, I know. I found some handy little finger sleeves on Amazon that really helped protect mine. (The knitted fabric ones are much better and less sweaty than the silicon gel ones.) I still keep finding them in odd places around the house and in jacket pockets...

We are chugging along. We've got our canter back up to snuff in both directions, and so we have started to play with FCs. Apparently, I have forgotten how to do them, wah! But tomorrow is another day and he's not trying to kill me over them, so there's that!

Better go do something about dinner before I have a mutiny on my hands.

demi

Postby demi » Thu May 19, 2022 3:42 am

Following along here and keeping up with the progresses, trials and tribulations. Thanks for all the good vibes for my SIL. They flew to their home in MI today and everyone is tired but happy to be home. Their two Jack Russels are happy, too :)

The PPE went well! The mare’s name is Besa. She’s a 14 yr old brown Andalusian. Maybe 15.3 ish hh. Wide body! But the vet said she needs to lose 100 lbs. My trainer says she’ll have to wear a muzzle to make that happen. Vet noted that she was very well behaved during the exam. The WS doenst think she is very affectionate, but I wonder if that’s because she just needs her own person. She has very expressive eyes and she seemed engaged in the whole thing today. She seemed quite interested that I was paying a lot of attention to her. I did have a pocket full of carb conscious treats, so that could be what she was really interested in!

Im still trying to catch up from being in Houston for a week so havent thought about any goals for this period. The WS is having surgery next month and will be off for two months. Starting in June, I will be doing 4 lesson rides a week and trainer will ride her once a week. I think it will be good for me to get some simple goals down in writing before then.( I have to get something down for Rocky, too). When my trainer first told me she was for sale, it was mentioned that the WS was leasing her and wanted to get her silver medal. That would cut the monthly training fee by more than half. But now, I’m kind of thinking I would rather pay full training and be Besa’s main rider, rather than sharing the expenses with the WS. At first, it seemed like a good idea because I didnt think I’d have enough energy for two horses. But now that she passed the PPE, I feel energized and am starting to feel excited. If I can get through June and July riding two, I’ll have a good idea if I can continue with two full time.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu May 19, 2022 4:41 am

:) Demi!

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu May 19, 2022 11:03 am

I've been following along quietly. You guys, this thread always make me feel warm and fuzzy, I love reading the details of all you get up to, and you're all just awesome.

My goal is to just be able to get on the horse and ride sometime before this stretch of goals (May/June) ends. I was struggling with back issues in April, not much effective riding. I got covid just before May, was not riding for 2 weeks. Slowly started last week just doing 15-20 minutes because I feel so out of breath.

Finally braved a gentle jumping lesson on Tuesday and fractured my right thumb (yes, my dominant hand). So I am very grumpy and despondent and handling the whole thing with bad grace. No riding for a while, AGAIN.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 19, 2022 2:08 pm

Oh Mari, what a string of bad luck! I hope your thumb heals up and you're feeling better and back in the saddle ASAP!

Demi, I'm so excited for you. Can't wait to see pics and video of Besa and follow your journey!

Moutaineer, glad to hear you are back in the swing of things with Potters. I'm sure the FCs will come back to you soon.

Blob, hope you have a good clinic and life in general gives you a break to enjoy your horses more.

I rode Annabelle briefly on Tuesday. Actually, I got on her on Monday and she was having one of explosive spook days, and with two people in the arena lunging, it was a no-go to see if she was sound. Tuesday the arena was clear so she got to go for one of the zoom sessions she needs to exorcise her demons and then all was fine. She seems objectively sound in the basic working gaits, but was pretty stiff and heavy when I asked for any collecting work. Her hock didn't seem to have any new swelling or heat last night, so at least the work doesn't seem to be hurting anything. I'll give it another try this weekend and then if she still doesn't seem right, I'll talk to the vet about other options.

The silver lining is that I am focusing more on Tesla. She has been better each ride since our Come to Jesus lessons last week. Yesterday there was a jump course set up in the arena, so I dropped the poles to the ground and we trotted "courses." She cantered quite well and I think only flipped her lead in back once. I'm having to be careful to keep my outside leg at the girth going left, and the the right, really supporting her with my inside leg and guarding the haunches with my outside leg. However, I'm starting to be able to ride the canter a bit instead of just surviving it, LOL. Last night a little storm burst was rolling in just as we finished cantering. She was tending to have a little hissy fit if I picked up the reins again after a canter and walk break, but last night I was able to put her right back into a nice obedient trot over our "jump" course and she even popped right into a canter over the last one. Maybe some crossrails are in the near future. I've signed up for a clinic with Lindsey Holleg at the end of July, so I'll probably bring her. Hopefully all continues to improve!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu May 19, 2022 3:43 pm

Demi, so excited for you. I do hope you all share photos and videos of you on your girl.

The show got cancelled this weekend- It's supposed to drop to 40 degrees from 85 degrees and then they are calling for rain and snow. It's very much needed but I understand people not wanting to come to a show.

Instead we are doing a ride a test clinic on Sunday. It's not with an actual judge but a local instructor is coming in to give a fresh perspective. It's actually the one I rode with a while back on the schoolmasters. So that should be fun that she finally gets to see me on my own horse. And my 10-year-old daughter is doing it too. I think it will be pretty fun. Hopefully not wicked cold!!

I hope everybody has a great weekend!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu May 19, 2022 9:40 pm

Demi, congrats and look forward to pics/vid! I love Andies!

I'm following this thread too, but nothing much to add. I bought some clippers and clipped my horses. They look pretty funny, definitely need more practice! Doesn't look great close up just yet :D Norsey hated the clippers near his ears, so it's quite messy near his head. I'll slowly work with him to see if I can fix it, otherwise eventually it will just grow out I guess.

Goldhorse, all the best with Piggy. I'd be giving mine a good chance too. So really hoping it works.
Khall, sorry no bubby horse!
Aleuronx, great show report! Congrats.
SF and exvet, I always like reading your training updates etc
Mari, ouch with the thumb!
Mountaineer, I've nicknamed my spooky corner in my arena "Potters corner". Something must have gone on there recently because both mine dont want to go near it.
IMG_2304.jpg
IMG_2304.jpg (166.67 KiB) Viewed 11441 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu May 19, 2022 11:26 pm

Ha, Flight! Wild and hot pre cold front weather here today.

The indoor arena was banging around so much it sounded like someone was running a weedwhacker down the side of it. It will be nice when it gets its upgrades and new, non rattling windows put in. Poor superworkingstudent had a wild ride on one of the fancy youngsters this morning.

Everything that could blow down or away outside was already gone (mostly in a wild wind gust as a friend of mine on her rather reactive pony were riding by all the chairs at C, apparently. She survived.)

We figured outside as being the least likely venue in which I would die today, and Potters was oblivious to everything. We got some really nice canter work and a lovely clean FC from right to left. Tomorrow we work on left to right, weather permitting. We are having a taste of some of the same as LSP. What with the heat and wind, I felt like dirt covered beef jerky by the time I got off.

I have a new toy. Bluetooth sunglasses. Trainer has them, too. Makes lesson comms really easy and comfortable. They work the full length of the large arena and more, so I can just leave my phone at the end of the arena while I ride.

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Fri May 20, 2022 2:36 am

Driveby update here. Piggy is doing just fine. Like so fine that the little stinker saw the unlocked gate today while I was picking his stall and exited to find some grass down the way. At least he didn't bolt like he usually does. What is very interesting is that I swear that on 3 days of soaked hay, he has lost weight. But that can't be. I think he has lost puffiness-generalized inflammation edema.
I am doing another biomechanics clinic this weekend on my friends draft cross. I need to be able to do the splits before I get on him :lol:
Once I get Piggy's xrays back, I will start a thread in health or whatever it's called.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 20, 2022 12:53 pm

Thinking of you and Piggy, Goldhorse. Glad he is full of himself after a brief intervention and hope more help is possible.

I always love how bay horses look when they are clipped! I know some don't like the mousy-color, but I think it is special. I am not a skilled clipper and I am lucky that Emi does not really grow hair :lol:

Exvet, those exercises make sense and I"m glad you're getting thoughtful attention to support development of your *smart* and lovely horses. Alx., what a great show experience! You must be excited for the future with Kora. Thinking of you Demi. And also eager to "meet" your new mare!

Happy birthday to Kyra, Susan! Emi will be 20 next week. We are lucky to have these good mares.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri May 20, 2022 5:28 pm

My garden is planted (had to cover tomatoes and peppers last night due to frost), weeds killed, fence for new pasture planned out and bushes trimmed. Horses have not been ridden in forever but hey look awesome :P I swear I WILL start riding any day now, hehe

Anyways, in the name of vicarious riding/horse buying, I present to you my friend's new horse, Storm. Her sister purchased, put basic walk/trot training on him and shipped him out to her to use as an eventing horse. He's 4yrs old (?), OTTB. This is him stepping off the shipping van after a 3 day trip across country and after recovering from a constipation colic 3 weeks ago.

New Horse Storm20220517_151800.jpg
New Horse Storm20220517_151800.jpg (48.4 KiB) Viewed 11372 times

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri May 20, 2022 5:40 pm

goldhorse-- so sorry to hear about Piggy's turn. Hoping for the best for the both of you.

Flight-- a week makes a huge difference in the eyesore-level of a clip job. Trust me: tons of experience here leaving much-worse-looking clips on my herd.

Demi-- congratulations! Very exciting.

Queso and I are victims of our own flying change success: I have officially lost my ability to straighten the canter without ending up in a flying change. They are everywhere. Clean, but obtrusive. But also adorable.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Fri May 20, 2022 5:55 pm

Ponichiwa, Lad (the OTTB, 3rd lvl horse I used to have) did fc's every time coming back from medium to collected canter in the show ring. He would basically do a one-tempe. Same thing in the serpentine when I would try to straighten out of cc into true canter for the next loop. I had decided to just move on to showing 3rd but decided to quit showing him altogether because he wasn't getting any better about travelling and showing, and then, of course, he died. At any rate, in my home arena he quickly learned to tell when I was actually asking for changes vs throwing in a change any time I shifted my seat, lol. A bit of a learning curve I had not anticipated.

Demi, congrats on new horse and jingles for SIL

Continued jingles for you Piggy, Goldhorse

Love your clip job, Flight

Happy birthday to Kyra!

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri May 20, 2022 7:07 pm

Checking in to see some updates and love the pics. I've been getting my guy back to fitness in between weather issues. Tomorrow will hit 90 - today we have tornado watch until 7 pm. Extreme weather as many of you are experiencing too.

Demi - Awesome news! Enjoy your new mare! She sounds like you can really bond with her. :)
Blob - sorry to hear about your painful finger. I know that injury too.
Fight - your clip job is much BETTER than mine. Looks like moths got to my guy from the spots I missed.
Goldhorse - Sending healing vibes for Piggy. I have an aged pony on Prascend medication, so I'm obsessed with monitoring his diet. He is a fussy eater refusing to eat soaked hay.

SueB - your photo of friends OTTB brings back cherished memories of my TB. I love TBs! Off Topic - but I visit this site daily because I love these videos. Some would make really nice hunters and the bold ones eventers.

Ballyclare OTTBs https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQm-IS ... Xwg/videos

Love this guy!! He doesn't even blink at the dog running along the fence. Super Cool! 8-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpSBwO3Z8dg

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat May 21, 2022 1:20 am

Congratulations Demi. Most Andalusians are definitely people horses and I expect she will appreciate having her own person.

Kyra got lunged on Thursday as the wind was blowing a gale and she just isn’t a wind horse (still waiting on my noise canceling bonnet sitting on some ship somewhere?). She was pretty tightly wound but overall, I was pleased with her work. I set up poles and worked on keeping her slow and actually using her joints. I was also successful with half-halts in canter and getting her back to a more proper, less tense canter. Considering the dust devils that were blowing through and dousing us with sand, I was pretty happy but still glad I wasn’t on her. We finished up with a quick session of SI and then half-steps in long reins. Her half steps are getting rather nice. She doesn’t have a lot of amplitude and most likely won’t but nice lowering of the haunches and nice tempo.

Today was a spa day with tail washing and I worked a little more with her excess sole on her front feet. She was still a bit uncomfortable on the concrete wash slab. Seems like our snow and monsoons are over for a while so if I can’t get them now, they will be hard as a rock and my wimpy dull hoof knife won’t do a thing. I just removed a couple thin layers. She is moving great in the soft arena. I guess the vet was by today and says her goose egg is a hematoma (on top of another one). It is old enough now that it will take forever to go away if it even does. Apparently she was non stop harassing the old mare next to her and she is back in her original stall. The gelding next to her is currently locked in his stall but he will be out soon so hopefully she doesn’t cream it again. I may have to put kicking chains on her? I don’t know why she can’t get along. She has a very high opinion of herself :lol: .

Those who need healing jingles…coming your way

Susan

demi

Postby demi » Sat May 21, 2022 1:41 am

Hi Josette! Nice to hear from you. I don’t look at sale horses anymore (honestly!) I guess I don’t need to because they find me. Very nice TBs in the vids you posted.

I’m still reeling a bit after getting a horse when I was so sure that Rocky was my last. I haven’t started a regular riding program with her as the working student is still riding her 3 days a week until the end of this month. I have a feeling I won’t want to lease her and am worried about how the WS will take it.

Mountaineer, I agree with you about how inspiring it is to be around a bunch of really good dressage riders. I love it.

So here’s a vid from my first ride on Besa. My stirrups were to long but I didn’t realize it till I saw the vid. It’s going to take some adjustment to get comfortable on her. She’s very wide and feels so different than Rocky. I’ll need some pointers from all you Andy/part-Andy people. I always wanted a grey Andalusian but I’m pretty happy with the plain brown wrapper!

https://youtu.be/acyZ0MaBDRk

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 21, 2022 1:49 am

Wow demi she's nice! You look good on her too, good size and nice type. Wishing you lots of fun (and safe) adventures!

Josette

Postby Josette » Sat May 21, 2022 2:27 am

Beautiful mare! Love her color! She does look like a horse of substance and you look great on her. Stirrup length looked fine - maybe you just need to get use to a new different feel on a wide body type. Have fun!

(I don't need a 3 year old TB - but I do enjoy viewing those videos. Too bad we can't turn back time.....)

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 21, 2022 2:47 am

Lovely Demi, congratulations!
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 21, 2022 2:58 am

demi wrote:Hi Josette! Nice to hear from you. I don’t look at sale horses anymore (honestly!) I guess I don’t need to because they find me. Very nice TBs in the vids you posted.

I’m still reeling a bit after getting a horse when I was so sure that Rocky was my last. I haven’t started a regular riding program with her as the working student is still riding her 3 days a week until the end of this month. I have a feeling I won’t want to lease her and am worried about how the WS will take it.

Mountaineer, I agree with you about how inspiring it is to be around a bunch of really good dressage riders. I love it.

So here’s a vid from my first ride on Besa. My stirrups were to long but I didn’t realize it till I saw the vid. It’s going to take some adjustment to get comfortable on her. She’s very wide and feels so different than Rocky. I’ll need some pointers from all you Andy/part-Andy people. I always wanted a grey Andalusian but I’m pretty happy with the plain brown wrapper!

https://youtu.be/acyZ0MaBDRk

I'm so impressed with how good you look on your first ride.

I'm sure your WS will be sad about losing the rider on your New horse but you do what is best for you.

khall

Postby khall » Sat May 21, 2022 4:15 am

Demi she’s beautiful! Love her movement!! You and she look very well matched.

What is so nice about the Iberians is their ability to collect. That and their sensitivity. Having ridden WBs now for many years I really appreciate the Iberian’s abilities.

Having ridden Andalusians and Lusitanos the Andalusians I rode I found to be a bit harder to get through their backs. Lusitanos I did not find that to be true. Don’t know if it was training or breeding. Joplin is of course Lusitano/Han/TB and has the suppleness that the Hanoverian brings to her genetics. Her dam was a floaty supple ballerina.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat May 21, 2022 4:46 am

Very nice, Demi! Going to look forward to watching your progress with her.

I've had a mighty fine week of riding. We had fun playing with canter half passes today. It was freezing cold and snowing horizontally. A tree came down on the barn road in the wind and marooned us all until the county crew came by and moved it. It'll be in the mid 80s by the end of next week. Go figure.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat May 21, 2022 4:51 am

She is lovely Demi. She looks so soft and willing. As for the “plain brown wrapper”…enjoy. The white ones are a pain to keep clean :P .

Susan

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Sat May 21, 2022 5:57 am

Congrats Demi she's lovely and you look great together!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 21, 2022 11:38 am

It's supposed to be 90 here today. Bugs are bad. Poor animals. I have not found a bug spray or fly sheet that is perfect. I have probably a dozen extra face shields because some of the beasts run them off and then go batty shaking their heads. Le sigh.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat May 21, 2022 4:02 pm

Wow Demi, you guys look so good together. I'm excited to watch the partnership grow. First the working student situation goes I'm sure she will be disappointed but that is life. I think it's fair to want a little more one-on-one time with your new girl. Perhaps just try and give the working student a heads up so she has time to find something else? And who knows maybe in a year or so you will feel better about having someone else in her? Or maybe not. Either way is okay.

I had to cancel my lesson yesterday, it was snowing like crazy, I have been fighting a cold and had a million things to fit in yesterday. I just don't feel like the right time to try and lesson. Although I was a bit bummed about that reality. I do have a lesson today at least and then tomorrow the Ride-A-Test. It looks like the weather is already moving out!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 21, 2022 7:51 pm

I entered Brandon in training 1 & 2 on Saturday for the upcoming recognized show in June. It's a two-day show (actually a separate show each day) not only making it far more expensive to show the full weekend but I think expecting Brandon to go to his first recognized show, all indoors and perform/compete for two solid days is too much to ask of a just turned 5-year-old. Having said all that I've been riding him with a bit more expectation that he should and can bend, can leg yield, can step into a receiving hand and stay relatively quiet in his mouth. The result has been much more balance in the canter and more prompt in his transitions. He seems to be rooting less and less [finally] too.

Junior isn't all that thrilled with our dogged resolution to work on suppleness with the measuring stick being having the same canter in both directions. Per Molly Martin who I rode with last, he's got a big lofty canter to the left and a more collected less elastic canter to the right. Until I have the same canter in both directions, ability to transition into and out of the medium and collected canter with ease in addition to being able to bend his rib cage in either direction, I'm not to do a single flying change.

It will be particularly interesting to see if Junior's canter is [any] better by next Friday. I'll be riding both he and Brandon at another clinic, this time with Ellie Stine-Masek. I'm sure Ellie will have no issue with the suggested exercises from Molly and adding to them; but since I rode with her right after the last recognized show (4 weeks ago) I'll be anxiously waiting for her critique. Ellie has never seen Brandon. She's been the judge for western dressage at the Morgan World Championships I think at least twice. She very supportive of the breed in western dressage and hopefully will be pleasantly surprised to see that Brandon isn't the fire plug that Junior is and has a much better walk. Not that I'm crashing on Junior at all. My little fire plug stood perfectly still with all sorts of banging, clattering trucks and trailers zooming past us on our walk about the neighborhood this morning that sent a whole group of horses on the other wise of the road running and whinnying. No snort, not a flinch or nicker just happy to keep walking on a loose rein once it all went by us. Pony character can make up for a lot of shortcomings LOL. Pun intended.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun May 22, 2022 5:36 am

Exvet…I am finding the same thing with Kyra. Now that we are working in nice footing I have this big bounding canter to the left. Something she hasn’t normally been known for. Right lead seems to be a bit softer and better tempo but not as much activity as on the left. At the old barn, with the crappy footing, I was always dodging rocks, deep spots and the rail which was hard as a rock. Kind of hard to concentrate on the horse. Right now, she is needing lots of reminders going left requesting better self carriage and slowing the tempo…a bit. I don’t want to squash the nice bounding quality of the canter. It is something new and kind of cool. Right lead needs more leg support. It will take some work to get them more equal.

Today, I worked on some changed of directions at canter with simple changes. I had a couple sweet walk to canter transitions on the right rein. On the left rein she still wants to use her neck. I think we need to work more on SF/SI positioning into the canter on the left.

Susan
Last edited by Kyras_Mom on Sun May 22, 2022 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 22, 2022 3:42 pm

I spent a good part of yesterday watching the show I'd been hoping to ride in. Many people were riding 2-1, and I felt really comfortable that we won't be out of our depth riding that. It was such a nice easy-going atmosphere and a perfect 70 degree day; such a bummer to miss out. However, I went to the barn afterwards and Annabelle seems to be doing better. Thursday would have been her last Previcox, so I was concerned that she might get sore again after that wore off. She looks objectively sound on the lunge, and feels totally sound under saddle. She does still seem to be struggling a little with a right lead canter that isn't just strung out on the forehand, but still a lot better than Tuesday. My plan is for light rides this week and hopefully we can get back to the real work next week. Since I had good experience putting Tesla on GutX, I decided to try the same company's joint supplement for A. Only 7c more a day than the joint pellets she's been on, and will add HA. They are selling a small therapy laser, which I impulse bought. Hoping it is effective as I think Tesla might like it on her back, and my husband with his busted arm. It has a 90 day money back guarantee, so it seemed worth a shot.

Tesla keeps improving each ride. It's kind of like I've been installing buttons in the almost two years she's been under saddle, but they were all gummed up and stuck. Now they're mostly unstuck and I can push buttons and have some fun. We might reach last period's goal of riding a training level test at home if this trajectory continues for another week or two. I have both girls on the calendar for chiro in a few weeks, and I'm hoping the vet, who also does acupuncture, might have some ideas for helping her out with her sidedness to make the right lead easier as it is kind of lateral/4 beaty right now. It is getting better with the training, but it would be great if some treatment can move the process along.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 22, 2022 9:11 pm

When do you decide you are ready for second level?

blob

Postby blob » Sun May 22, 2022 10:35 pm

how exciting, Demi, Besa looks lovely!

This weekend was the clinic with Albrecht Heidmann. I rode only one day, but audited both days. There were a range of levels from training to GP and a variety of horse breeds and types so it was interesting to watch. I wanted to share my notes before I forget them:

Overall, theme of the clinic was forward forward forward. For some horses he said it was ok to get them over tempo in order to get them in front of the leg. and then we could rebalance. Others he was big on slow but quick behind.

When horses spooked or had any un-ideal reaction he wanted riders not to react and to keep riding. Don't throw away the reins, don't coddle, don't punish. Keep the hands where they were and keep the lego on. If the horse over-reacted to an aid (one was very sensitive to the whip), he didn't want the rider to shut it down but rather take that energy and use it for something else.

He wanted riders to make sure they were not overbending horses in the neck for bending lines or suppling. Flexion should happen in the poll and not at the base the neck. With some riders he had them ride essentially square serpentines in order to get them straighter.

The horse should always be ready for the next aid, even at the halt. He didn't want anyone to get into 'trot mode' or 'canter mode' or 'walk mode' but rather be ready for anything. While trotting he would often ask riders if they could feel the walk or if they could feel the canter. Ideally you should be able to feel the another available at any time. For some he deliberately asked to not use so much half halt in and out of transitions because some horses were pausing their body and sort of jumping into the transition, which can feel good but it's actually a moment where connection and throughness is lost. He said that this could often really create problems in the changes if the horse learns to pause it's body and jump into the canter transition it will do the same for the change, making it late behind.

Even the more advanced riders and horses had lessons that were rooted in basics and not as much time was spent on specific movements and in many cases, esp on the first day, if I didn't know from the schedule i wouldn't be able to guess the horse's level. Most sessions were focused around w-t-c and basic figures. but in the more advanced horses often the difference from finessing or buttoning up certain basics was quite dramatic.

One PRE he wanted much quicker behind but slower in tempo overall. This horse either wanted to pony trot or passage and so there was a lot of work to get him to trot bigger but actually trot and not go into passage by getting quickness and ground cover. There was some pretty dramatic changes in the trot for this horse. This one also could get close behind in the canter work, so there was a lot of moving the hind end around in the canter without letting the horse change.

RP and I started our ride in a bad place. He was worked up and anxious and very tight in the back and even humped it a few times as I was walking him out towards the mounting block and so I got delayed getting on and didn't get the pre-ride warm up I needed. When he is tight in the back he will toss his head and get fussy up front. Usually I address this via suppling exercises--bending lines, LYs, etc. but I had to take him in fussy and tight. Pretty much right away AH wanted me to get RP really forward. I was one of the riders that he said it was ok to get him over tempo if need be, but he had to really be evenly coming through with both legs from behind. He told me to ignore any fusiness or head tossing (which I do anyway), but also to make sure I was really keep a consistent contact, which might mean I had to move my hand. So rather than keeping the hand in the exact same spot, go for keeping the exact same level of tension. It did not have to be a lot of tension, but just that I should say 'this is our relationship' and maintain it. He had me really really go forward and big in the canter. It took me some time to build up the nerve to do this since RP has the history of bolting, but slowly I was able to get a bit more a bit more until i had him as big and forward as he wanted. He made the analogy of a bicycle--when you go slowly you are wobbly and it's harder to get control and stay straight or turn. But if you peddle a bit faster and have momentum you also have a steadier handle bar and it's easier to make turns. It was a very different way than i normally deal with RP getting tight and hoppy in the canter, which can feel scary. But I did end up with a pony that was much softer, more supple, and very steady in the hand. I don't know yet if pushing through is better than what I normally do, but it is another toolbox and I think what was a very good takeaway was that RP did not panic, he did not get overwhelmed by a different style or different questions.
Last edited by blob on Mon May 23, 2022 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon May 23, 2022 1:29 am

Chisamba wrote:When do you decide you are ready for second level?

Is that a loaded question? I've never shown second level, so I'm just going off what I see and feel. We got up to about 64% at 1st end of last summer, and I think we're doing much better now with our 2nd level elements - lateral work, more gears in the trot and canter, etc., and I don't want to sit too long in our comfort zone. The instructor I've recently started riding with (who is an FEI rider) thought we weren't too far out from starting changes, so 2nd doesn't seem like a big stretch for some local shows :?:

Blob, thanks for the clinic notes! I'll come back and read in detail as soon as I can.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon May 23, 2022 2:20 am

Exvet, I look forward to hearing how your upcoming clinics and shows go with both horses. It sounds like you are actually in a exciting place on the verge of a lot of growth with both.

SF, glad Annabelle is doing a little better And I do hope you get back to your goals and can try out the second level!! I'm sure you guys will do awesome. I'm also glad to hear how good things are going with Tesla. You are an inspiration with sticky with it!

Blob, thank you so much for the detailed clinic notes. It sounds like it really went well all things considering. You know how hard it can be when you don't get to warm up the way you want but it sounds like you definitely made the best of it and learned a lot of new things to think about and potentially use in the future. When is the Jeremy stenberg clinic? I'm looking forward to notes about that too.

I had the Ride A Test today. I rode with Lynx and a friend's pony, who we call the jalapeno popper. The pony really stepped up a bit today, I think this is only my fourth ride him. First one was off property (they trailered him into my barn), the second was at his little barn, the third was a totally different barn at a schooling show, And then again at my barn for the clinic. He is older but was not started correctly and was kind of yeehawed around and ran at jumps. So he definitely has some baggage and is green in his education of proper riding. But it was my best ride with him yet and I got some good tips from the trainer.

With Lynx, I actually decided to not ride any test and just have a small lesson. Saturday he was so ridiculous about spooking everywhere in the indoor during my lesson. It had been cold and snowing the day before so no turnout. And the birds are out and full force which is kind of freaking the horses out.. And the way they had set up the ring and a ton of people in the bleachers on the already scary end I just decided to have the kind of ride where I knew we would have a positive experience. I personally think I'm made the right decision because it was a night and day difference. Granted we only walked him up to the scary end of the ring and didn't really work down there. But I had a much more relaxed horse than I did the other day.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 23, 2022 4:18 am

Wise choice, LSP. Take your time! It will come. The weather is an extra giant measure of challenge.

With Laddie, I decided we could show 2nd level when we could manage the counter canter elements of the test.

But, the fact is, getting to the point of being able to ride the counter canter meant that we'd developed the skills to do the rest of it as well, as it doesn't come alone.

2 -1 is a very nice straightforward test. 2 -3 is quite challenging. In fact, I have sworn never to ride it again!

Blob, thanks for the notes--pertinent to a lot of the straightness issues we are working on.

A busy start to the week, 4 lessons in a row, phew...Trainers and a bunch of barn mates off up to Idaho (Les Boise) to show at the end of the week. I'm sitting this one out, but I'm contemplating the next one at the start of July...

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon May 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Blob, thank you for the detailed notes. It's always good to have extra tools in the toolbox even if you don't take them out that often. You just never know.

I'm guilty of going for second level if I feel I have a good c-w-c transition. By the time I do I usually have SI and traver pretty well down. Counter canter I always view as a work in progress because so much always depends on how 'tight' my horse is and if my SI and traver are doing well and happening then I know the counter canter will happen even if not perfect. I've struggled with suppleness in all my horses, well almost all; so, I've tended to move ahead before others in my shoes would.

I got up extra early yesterday to work Junior in the arena. He's getting better at going back and forth between SI and traver in the canter as well as handling the transitions in the canter holding the SI positioning. I can tell that I still need to get him stronger in his left hind before I can expect to have the same canter on both reins. I didn't think his w-c-w transitions could get much better but they are. He's really starting to pay more attention to my seat as opposed to me having to use quite so much leg (ponytude ya know) too which is another piece we're working on to help the FCs.

Brandon ended up doing his first 10 mile trail ride yesterday morning. He was a pretty tired puppy but still able to trot the last 1/2 mile willingly (actually more his idea than mine and not so much because he knew he was headed home). It was funny because my SO as usual rode Ace and we met up with a friend who has a mare. Most of my friends/neighbors if not all of those we ride with have geldings. Usually Ace who typically just plods along rides drag and is more than happy to do so. Brandon has a long stride so he's often in front but our friend's mare is a foxtrotter so she dictated the pace. Ace, going back to his stallion start, absolutely had to follow the mare. He would cut Brandon off each and every time Brandon with his longer stride tried to pass or even just ride on a second track so that he could stretch. Ace is such a 'second banana' kind of personality that this more demonstrative side with a mare was unexpected. There were no explosions or attempts to get nasty but it's been so long since I've had or been around mares with Ace that we were kind of glad to see that Ace would actually stand up for himself. When our friend turned to go home, Ace kept nickering (not bellowing) for the mare and then let Brandon take and keep the lead. Ace has never ever vocalized while being trail ridden before so it was a herd dynamic that in some ways was kind of bitter sweet. He always seemed to transition into a wonderful gelding (which I don't regret) but it's clear he hasn't forgotten his band of mares and having been out on the range for his start. Of course when we got home the threesome all assumed their usual position within the herd dynamic.

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 23, 2022 4:29 pm

exvet wrote:Blob, thank you for the detailed notes. It's always good to have extra tools in the toolbox even if you don't take them out that often. You just never know.

Yes, and I think on further reflection another big takeaway for me and also I think for some of the riders is being able to recognize our horses are ready for more. It's not that I need to throw all the history I have with RP out the window, but I cannot treat him like the pony he was when i got him or even last year. He has grown and improved and changed and so has our relationship. I can dial up the expectations a bit more and the pressure a bit more at times and he will not only be ok with that, he will be responsive and receptive.

LS--the Jeremy Steinberg clinic is June 4-5. So we'll have a weekend inbetween and then we'll be back at it!

re: moving to 2nd level: I think evaluating if you're ready to move up is the same at any level and sort of involves three aspects:
1. Is the previous level's work easy now? 2. Can you complete the movements? 3. Have you achieved the level of self-carriage, impulsion, and collection required for this level?

number 2 is the easiest one to answer imo. It's easy to run the test at home and see if you're able to do the thing. 1 can be a bit trickier, but I didn't attach a score to this for a reason. there are some who believe you need to score above a certain percent to move to the next level, but gaits play such a large score that they are horses that are going to be low 60s all the way up the levels and that is totally fine, I think. I think the hardest one to determine is number 3. You can have 1 and 2 without having 3. And I think it's 3 that can really change your score--moving a lot of 6s to 7s. It's also the area that I think is the hardest for me to personally evaluate on my horses and the hardest to have the patience to wait for. RP and I can check of 1 and 2 easily for first level, but I don't think we've really accomplished 3 yet.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon May 23, 2022 4:36 pm

blob wrote:Yes, and I think on further reflection another big takeaway for me and also I think for some of the riders is being able to recognize our horses are ready for more. It's not that I need to throw all the history I have with RP out the window, but I cannot treat him like the pony he was when i got him or even last year. He has grown and improved and changed and so has our relationship. I can dial up the expectations a bit more and the pressure a bit more at times and he will not only be ok with that, he will be responsive and receptive.

I very much struggle with this-- and this I think is the usefulness of lessons and/or clinics as accountability check-ins. Just this weekend, I was reminded that actually Queso is a mid-level horse now and doesn't need to be ridden like a baby horse. Very fun to re-learn this lesson repeatedly.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Mon May 23, 2022 6:55 pm

Chisamba wrote:When do you decide you are ready for second level?

Depends on what you mean by show second- you must mean 2:1 to start as there is a huge difference in 2:1 vs 2:3

In my case I showed 1st many times with scores in the high 60s and low 70s with several judges. My friend said I was no longer allowed to do first anymore! hahaha

I asked my trainers :lol: but in all seriousness they had to tell me to just do it and that I was indeed ready. Once you start with half pass and TOH with collection second level stuff should be good to go (more or less).

I was trying to make it too perfect.

There is also a difference in how people ride who want to top out at second and who want to progress as far as throughness, etc.

demi

Postby demi » Tue May 24, 2022 4:46 am

Nice clinic notes, Blob! Thanks for posting. It seems like you accomplished your mission of letting the clinician help you deal with RP when he is tight and fussy. And I especially appreciated your explanation of the work with the PRE as my trainer discussed a bit of the same thing today (the PRE tendancy for short strided trot) in my lesson with Besa. Good luck next weekend with JS!

I had a lesson today on Besa and it’s going to be a big adjustment for me. My hip tendons will need stretching and I don’t want to do it too quickly. I have a limited amount of riding time left due to my age, and I don’t want to get sidelined for any amount of time due to injury to my tendons. My trainer knows I need to go slowly but I had to remind her today. The mare is a wide body and by the end of my lesson I had to dismount very carefully, even on a dismounting block. I felt better in a couple of hours and got on Rocky. Walking was fine, no pain, but as soon as I trotted, my body said “be careful!” I want to take 5 lessons a week on Besa and trainer says that’s fine, but I will have to limit them to 30 minutes for a while. Additionally, I’ll limit my rides on Rocky to walk only. Just until my tendons get stretched, and strengthened. So that will be my goal for the rest of this period.

Also, the “How you know when you’re ready for 2nd” discussion is quite interesting. Lots of good view points here.

Return to “Dressage Training”