April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
blob
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby blob » Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:36 pm

that's a nice clip, LSP even if the bit was on backwards--lynx looks like a good boy and is steady and straight in his work.

Kyra's_mom what a scary episode, glad it has a good conclusion.

I'm going on day 7 of fever. I do feel better than I did last Tu-Thu (the worst days), but I cannot seem to shake this. DH is also sick, we tried to isolate as much as possible, but I was probably contagious before I was symptomatic and didn't know to avoid him then, of course. He only had fever one day, but his cough has been worse. Horses of course are getting an unplanned vacation but luckily they have 24/7 turnout and the barn does a good job of keeping an eye on them. Also this week we have cooler temps plus some much needed rain, so that should help MM keep her breathing in a good place.

demi

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby demi » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:36 pm

I somehow missed Lynx’s video and had to go back to find it. Very nice LSP. But I had to laugh at the “moaning” leg yeild :lol:

Welcome to Texas, Heddy!

Piedmont I’m glad you’re giving Emi the chance to come back as much as possible. I especially appreciate it as I am seeing how my own older body responding to good work.

Susan, best of luck with Kyra. It sounds like she’s going to be ok.

Blob, so sorry to hear you’re sick and missed your horse show. Sending you get well soon vibes!

I am so happy with Besa and every day I feel more confident in the work. I changed saddles last Thursday but didn’t really grasp how much better it was as during my lesson my trainer’s assistant got kicked by a youngster. ( She is okay, with a broken rib, but things were scary for a bit. She was having trouble breathing.) My lesson was short, and then I didnt ride again until today as there was a clinic on Fri, Sat, and Sun.

So today, I realized the full benefit of a different saddle. I could use my inside leg much more easily and accurately. I didn’t feel my hip tendons being strained. And I got the best canter work on her yet. My trainer said the canter was “awesome” :D . I also got the neatest trot. Not exactly sure what kind of trot it was, but my trainer called it “fluffy”. It felt powerful and lofty. I got some good halts from walk and trot which was an accomplishment because Besa can get antsy at halt. Also for the first time, I was able to “pick her up” and put her to work quickly today.

The focus of all my lessons is straightness on the outside rein, balance, and working over the back so she can get her hind end under and so that i am not restricting her from putting her legs where they need to be. It takes a lot more strength (core and legs to bend her rib cage) than I imagined. My trainer is on my case every step and I better not drop the outside rein. I feel like she’s training me the same way she trains horses. Which I like! When I was cooling Besa out we still had the Cee Coach going and I could here her taking to the 4 year old she was riding. Sounded a lot like my lesson!

Texas heat… at the clinic, they had buckets of ice water and the horses were sponged on the chest and shoulders with it, before and all during their rides. I had never seen that before as in the past I never went to lessons, let alone clinics, in the summer. I am wondering if that’s a common practice at shows here in the summer. I am not used to being around a high level of training and am surprised at how hard they all work. Horses and people. I am toughening up and still have a ways to go!

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:49 pm

Lsp thanks for the acknowledgement! I was stoked with my clinic and Joplin she and I really made some progress with Cedar unfortunately now I’m struggling a bit with her right lead. It’s me and I need to get my seat right. Going right is my hard side and hers as well. Sigh she tries so hard though. I even got RB to canter both leads yesterday. As everyone else is I’ll keep plugging away. I do really like the saddle! I agree with chisamba buy the saddle show the horse we only live this life once! Which is why I want to try one more time breeding Gaila. I just really enjoy breeding raising and starting my riding horses. I’ve been breeding and riding my home breds so long I really enjoy having that foal to riding horse relationship. I’m going to talk with my vet see what we need to do. I’m sure she will need a uterine culture. I’ll look at breeding in the fall. It’s best to have the foals here in the south in cooler weather. I had one born in July and had to watch him carefully using alcohol water to cool him off because he could not regulate his temperature. There is still frozen available so yeah :)

Blob I’m sorry you are having such a rough go if Covid. Jingles you feel much better soon. DH has not had too bad of a case and remarkably I’m still not sick and testing negative. I was not so worried about myself but very concerned for my mom here. I can’t imagine if mom got sick. Poor DH is feeling like a leper right now. He’s bored and lonely and I’m not with more on my plate than usual.

Lsp I could not tell you had the bit on wrong! Nice clip of Lynx. He’s very similar to what we are looking for my boarder. Just fun and smaller than a moose

Going to be a rainy week this week which we need but means I probably won’t get much done. Also have to take Rip for his scope Wednesday.

Stay cool and happy riding all!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:29 pm

Soooo.. I thought too myself, what if I try one show this year. Our summer show in July is a two for one and is close. So when I talked up Saiph today I decided to just leap in and try practice ride 4'1 and 4'2. I have not ridden either since the last show I rode on Kea in August 2011. ( which I totally fubared by going off course and being eliminated) before Kea my last fourth level was Karoo in 1996. Of course I pieced the whole test together flawlessly. ( dripping with irony). But I honestly felt it was achievable. On the second test the flying change left was late so of course the third change was early. One to three FOUR duh Marion ask on three to get the change on four.

So I made sure all my USEF and usdf are up to date.

Buy the saddle! breed the mare.! Ride your horse! Show? Should I show? Should I back off and show third? Should I press on and show fourth. Feel free to give an opinion. When I read your opinions it will help me decide how I feel

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:39 pm

I didn't realize how little my last posts made sense, that is what I get for using talk to text too much. LOL

Thank you all! He is a very good boy and despite a few challenges, continues to be fun.

Chantel, Good to hear that you and Mikey are well!

Demi, That video just cracked me up when I heard it!! God bless my mom and her enthusiasm ha ha.
I'm enjoying hearing about this exciting journey you are on with your new mare. So exciting to make such progress each week!

Chisamba, I'm probably the last person to ask but I say go for it!! You are experienced and I say trust your gut. If you feel you can do it then go for it.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:51 pm

I'm TRYING to show in 10 days time, but the show secretary, having announced over a week ago that the show was overfilled and there was a wait list (without telling anyone whether they were actually in, or on the waitlist, only that special consideration would be given to those that were signed up for all 3 days and who were trying to qualify for Nationals,) has gone to radio silence, so none of us have any idea what the heck is going on.

I'm a bit peeved. It's a 3 day, out of town show. I have a VRBO booked with a friend, and we are not going to be refunded for that if we haven't made the cut.

I hear you about the high level of training and the hard work, Demi. Especially in the summer heat. I'm living my life in a state of slightly dehydrated exhaustion at the moment.

Seize the day, Chisamba, if you are physically up for it.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:39 am

Moutaineer it's only pain. I not causing further damage because it's not soft tissue. But I will check in with my ortho.

Very much good luck getting in to the show

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:41 am

Susan, I hope this episode with Kyra is resolved and she is OK. Bloody poop is scary!

Moutaineer, frustrating with the show. I was pretty amazed that it filled so fast. Annabelle can't handle that venue just yet, so I didn't try to enter. Maybe next year.

Chisamba, why not go for it and try fourth? You certainly did well at third, and can always drop back later, or see what to work on next.

LSP, cute video! I can see the changes in Lynx, he is looking stronger and more mature.

Chantal, glad you and Mikey are doing well!

chantal wrote: And it sounds like A and T are doing well SF. Pics? Cause you know how I feel about a chestnut pony :D

Happy to oblige; a few screen grabs from our lessons this morning. I rode A in the double and instructor said to use it every ride for awhile. We did tons of W/C and T/C transitions, and yielding the haunches out on a circle, getting her snappier with the hind legs. We have our homework and she thinks we can be in a better place with the collected canter work for second level. Tesla keeps improving each ride; just working through basics, adding bits of CC and LY in canter, more transitions and lots of changes in posture. I ended up canceling my jumping lesson for tomorrow because my husband broke his wrist this weekend while he's still recovering from shoulder surgery. I need to make sure I don't get hurt, and the idea of jumping was giving me anxiety!

Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:17 am

Chisamba--Show 4th!!! Pshaw with waiting until you've got it all "down." If if you think you have, it's all gone at the show anyway!

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:33 am

Chisamba I vote show!!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:41 am

SF...both girls look really nice. Annabelle seems to do well in the double? Tesla looks like she is really concentrating with that stuck out lip. Hard work ;) . What is with hubby? Poor guy. Yes, you better stay in one piece.

Mountaineer...the show secretary ghosting everyone. That is rude.

Chisamba, go for it. Why not?

So far, so good with Kyra. She is perky and best of all, no signs of blood since Friday PM. Again, just the weirdest thing. As luck would have it, the roofers are starting my roof tomorrow so she can have the rest of the week at leisure and if no further issues, I will put her back to work this weekend.
My pain at the moment is finding her a dang fly mask. My goodness but the sizing of all of them are all over the place. The last two I tried were both horse size (sometimes cob works) and they were both laying against her eyes :roll: . The first one I got was one of the lycra ones and after 4 days was rubbing all the hair off her face. She may just go without this year.

Jingles for all those with COVID.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:47 am

So I just heard back. Didn't make it into the show. Boo. An expensive non event.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:21 pm

Nice pictures SF.

Chisamba you already know my vote. Just do it!

That totally stinks Moutaineer.

Glad Kyra is still doing fine.

Hope everyone else on the mend is getting closer to being healthy.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:26 pm

Susan, I'm having good luck with these Shires masks. Annabelle wears a cob and it stays on if I cross the Velcro strap (she started taking off the Cashel masks). It has a little fleece strip across the forehead which is a nice touch.
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/shire ... ears-24159
Keep calm and canter on.

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:40 pm

Susan, I've found that the kind without ears stay on much better than the ones with ears. Also I don't know if Kyra also wears a fly sheets but some fly sheet neck attachments have a little velcro loop that you can slip through the forelock hole or the ear hole on a fly mask and that really helps keep them in place.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:01 pm

Thanks re: the fly masks. It is frustrating. She is a ‘corse’. Cob size some places, horse size some places. The Arab/small horse Cashel used to fit her then last year they didn’t. I don’t think it was her that changed :lol: . The horse size just falls off. Most recent I tried a Proforce one and a Shires knock off. They both were right down against her eyes (horse size). I have always had ones with ears as she was next to irrigated fields and the gnats would have her ears bloody and form aural plaques. Current barn doesn’t have watered/irrigated anything so the gnats should not be as much of a problem. Maybe I will ditch the ears.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 29, 2022 4:04 pm

Re: Flymasks

I've become a real fan of the stretchy pull on masks like this:
https://www.smartpakequine.com/pt/smart ... ance-25335

They do not rub! My mare cannot take it off! The horses don't seem to mind them being put on or off at all. This is my first year using this type and I won't go back. Emi needs the ones with ears because she is sensitive to those flies!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:00 pm

Well boo. Tesla apparently got herself kicked in the shoulder and is lame at the walk. She had no problem galloping away from me when I went out in the pasture to check on her though. :roll: At least it is the meaty part at the bottom and doesn't seem to be too swollen. She'll be on Previcox and probably have several days off. I was looking forward to riding over the long weekend, but I'll get to practice some therapy stuff instead, and try not to overwork poor Annabelle.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:54 pm

Bummer SF…damned horses that won’t play well with others (whether is was her or the kicker).

I am sitting here listening to lots of noise as my roof is being ripped off (on purpose). I may run to barn tonight to check on Ms. Kyra as it has cooled off from the triple digits. I want to get my eyes on her even though the BO is very good and watchful. She was a vet tech for years and it comes in very handy sometimes.
piedmontfields, I tried a Lycra one but it rubbed all the hair around the lower end and it was a pain to get on…she didn’t have an issue it was just hard to get everything stuffed into the right parts and get her forelock out of her eyes. I ordered a Kensington one…it is pretty anyway. We will see if that one works out. I can keep trying different ones as long as the vendors have them in stock ;) .

I got a fit kit for a new(er) hoof boot so I want try those. I really like the shells. They aren’t as rigid as the Renegades and no velcro so I will give them a go. They are called Flex Boots. A bit like Scoot boots but are supposed to be a be more flexible with fit during the trim cycle. I was seriously considering putting shoes on but having to replace the roof took that $200 per month. I will just make due with the hoof boots this year.

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:56 pm

Well it's turmoil over here. Barn manager quit so barn owners were in a tizz having to take care of and find help for 27 horses. Then they couldn't decide whether they wanted to replace the manager or have someone take over more of the business side so posted ads for both. There was a lot of sad, we're overwhelmed texts and we don't want to close to all boarders and then as I expected a 'board is increasing $100/month in August' message on Monday. I should say I expected an increase but not that much, I am now paying an astronomical amount for pasture board w/indoor. It still mostly rumor mill if they've found anyone suitable through interviews.

I'd be stressed but there's literally nothing I can do about it either way so trying not to be anxious about the whole thing. My barn mate who's mare occupies the paddock space with Kora and I have been keeping an extra close eye on them. Beyond that it's wait and see. If there was comparable facilities around I would have already left but there just isn't. So we wait and be salty about an extra $100...

Between the madness at the barn we popped over for a lesson and show debrief with trainer. She was busy with other higher level test competitors so wasn't able to warm us up. Talked about the pervasive comments between the 2 rides and plans to improve. The leg yields are a tricky thing to play with as she is one way at home and then more sensitive to move over at the show. So I think another test or two and we'll have the best 'how to ride leg yield away from home' plan. Canter we worked on forward, well forward in trot and canter. As well as riding the line from the corner to A or C with a slight leg yield out or shoulder-in feeling in medium then turning back to go again. It was killer to feel the improvement in the pace. So homework is written.

Section Goals:
Incorporate me fitness; long sunday hikes w/Aril, pick up weight training again, SQUATS!! Fail, again. There were some long walks but I need to incorporate some me time fitness
Get thee to the trainer: 4-5 lessons if possible Success!
Nail Regional qualification @1st level so rest of the year can be fun (and less $15 a pop for tests!): 3 opportunities for the 2 scores needed in what I've signed up for in June Super success! We are qualified and can save the extra fee money
Keep up with trot pole Sunday Also success minus show weekends. This has been fun and will probably carry over to next section

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:16 pm

Nice work Aleuronx on hitting almost all your goals! This reminds me I can close out for Tesla since she's out of commission now:

Tesla
She is officially six, and has probably over 200 rides at this point, so we are working towards adulting; less babying overall.
Haul out until she's a little more chill.
See if we can manage hauling out for a lesson. We did three lessons off property in June and she was pretty good. No other hauling out, but I think this counts for #1 as well.
Continue to improve the lateral work and obedience to forward aids. Yes! In May we had a couple CTJ lessons and she has been better ever sense. Canter is coming along with even a little bit of CC, travers and shoulder in.
Figure out the right bit/bridle combo. Just ordered a Micklem style, and have my eye on another bit to try, depending on results.Micklem bridle with the Sprenger Novocontact single joint eggbutt seems to be a winning combo. She is much better in the contact now.
Overall super pleased with her progress over the past two months!
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jun 29, 2022 11:33 pm

Self: Keep tracking the damned calories; keep exercising.
Update: I have maintained weight loss, but not lost more (that will require suffering and denial). Exercise is good. I did finalize my new (single)job!

Mare: Keep up our pursuit of tack-walking queen title. Maintain good position and clear quiet aids (me), stand up on all 4 hours (her).
Update: We are doing tons of hacking, plus some lateral work at the walk for strengthening and stretching. We now up to 5-10 minutes of baby trot each session if in ring or footing is good.

blob

Postby blob » Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:24 am

Oh gosh, Aleuronx, what a stressful situation. Keeping fingers crossed that you get resolution soon.

I'm finally testing negative for COVID so made it out the barn after 1.5 weeks, but still very much feeling the fatigue.

Here's the closeout:

blob wrote:Me:
Eat healthier
Find time to exercise outside of riding at least 1x a week
Find time to ride even with work picking up

MM: (still in rehab mode)
Build up to 5 minute trot sets each direction with 1 minute walk break in between
Introduce small amounts of canter

Work on walk FP/HP zig-zags (no hesitation in change of direction) worked on these just didn't get to the no hesitation yet
Work on walk piris

RP:
Spend time trotting/cantering out of the arena
Cavellettis
Practice 1-3
Attend 2 clinics and get homework!

Make it to a show (schooling or recognized) this didn't happen, but would have if not for COVID, so not in my control really, just a bit frustrating since I've yet to get to a show this year

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:59 am

I have nothing to close out other than I actually managed to ride!

And I've even ridden in Texas! After Maia got herself cast, and tried to black her own eye :roll:
Attachments
2A8E14BA-C619-45DA-B725-465CDAE6DA3D.jpeg
2A8E14BA-C619-45DA-B725-465CDAE6DA3D.jpeg (138.97 KiB) Viewed 5336 times

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jun 30, 2022 4:53 pm

Recap and analysis of goals:

Some good goals posted! Mine for this go around

Joplin
Clarity in our work. She’s getting so many buttons now she gets a bit muddled. Trot work then canter work and if I go back to trot work she says but we must canter now! And she throws in piaffe during it all:). So I need to be clear medium trot aids canter aids piaffe aids. Right now we are exclusively riding in the hay field and it’s just lovely. Good footing long straight lines good for fitness.
I’m doing more in the canter work as well embracing chisamba’s they get better canter by doing it a good bit. Im adding in change of lead through trot and SI to C. Continue with CC and maybe add in canter HP? Definitely up our game medium C to collected C. She can canter on the spot for about 3 strides.

We are hauling to school again this month. Run through 1 at level tests and possibly 2 nd? Cedar clinic in June and she’s doing a piaffe lecture.

Try her bare back with pad

The clarity in our work is getting better. The clinic was great in keeping us pointed in the right direction.
Did not make it to school at poplar place nor did I try her bareback. Getting CC nicely now. Like riding her in the new saddle.

Gaila
5-16 see if there is a black dot
Piaffe in hand and US try her back in my Vinici
CC work play some bareback.

Ended up with new Iberian style saddle which works great for Gaila. No black dot unfortunately though hoping to try again this fall. Cantered her bareback no issues and continue to do so. Piaffe is better US than in hand. Started her in the double which I like for her.

Me
Add in one more weight lifting day. Eat a bit better. Slid some lately
My diet still could be better. Slid some with weights due to clinic picking up hay and DH with Covid. I even have not gone to Pilates for this past week since I was exposed to DH. Still not sick and continue to test negative thank goodness

Henry
Working on Homeschool the dog with Susan Garrett. Fun to see him work out and offer what I want. He’s a smart cookie and highly treat motivated! Doggie daycare some. Henry is doing well but no daycare yet. Trying to convince DH to just take him and our pittie girl both to the beach. Found a big enough crate he’s happy in makes all the difference

Weather here is getting hot and we are dry right now.

No longer dry! Humid and rain. Perfect timing with fertilizer on the hay fields and pastures.

Arena still trying to get someone in to fix the dang thing. Having issues getting someone to do the work

Arena is done and so far holding up to heavy rains.

I turn 55 tomorrow age is just a number:)

Stay cool and happy riding all!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:04 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Goals: keep getting Lynx and I both stronger
Enter another schooling show
Get off property at least once.
Ride in the field.

Well I think we are getting stronger for sure. Unfortunately the schooling show we had entered got canceled. But we did do a ride a test and another clinic at home.
We also did not get off property, my husband still has some things to do on the trailer but we just have not had time. Maybe this weekend...

I have not rode in the field yet although trainer has taken him out there a few times. She said the first time he was a bit naughty and barn sour but much better the second time. I have ridden him around the barn along the lane at least. I'm sure I'll be in the field soon.

Aleuronx, I hope that everything settles at your barn. Definitely stressful but I hope it works out.

Blob, I hope the fatigue does not last long for you!

Heddylamar, I'm glad you guys are settling in pretty good despite a few bumps and bruises!

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:19 pm

Brandon: I'll have a better idea of goals after today's lesson and next Saturday's schooling show. For now, I continue to work on his balance, especially at the canter and his acceptance of the bit. Tempo is also a big focus this time around.

I feel pretty good about having accomplished my goals with Brandon this time around. We made it to the schooling show and recognized show. He handled the 'surprises' well. We have continued to work on balance and acceptance of the bit. He continues to get better. It helped getting my old Passier re-flocked - no more excuses.

Junior: what's new? Nothing, just continue to focus on purity & quality of the gaits and the flying change. I find that I really must, must, must not give up my position when I'm setting up and riding through the flying change so that will be a particular focus for me.

Since starting to take lessons with Molly Martin, Junior has been required to really step up to the plate. We've 'upped' the ante and it's gradually showing. I still don't have the same canter in both directions but we're far closer than when we started on this path. It's kind of funny in a way. Molly seems to have a more laid-back approach in her demeanor and talk compared to those I usually gravitate towards in terms of coaching and teaching, but her expectations and demands are going to make or break us. It is definitely what we need if I'm ever going to be able to compete Junior at FEI.

Today I had a lesson and the focus was getting Junior to not only bend in the rib cage both directions but also engage his hind legs and take even more weight on the hind. After warming up she had me do walk pirouettes to canter pirouettes :o now it was not really the expectation that Junior perform a true canter pirouette but the elements that she had me focus on definitely highlighted what I need to get across to him and which muscles I must build if I'm ever going to have flawless flying changes on demand. The walk pirouette started out with me demanding and keeping the bend and having him step well under with his outside hind and once he felt soft and forward ask for the canter. This was a BIG ask. The muscles needed to do this are what I'm needing to build in order to get the jump in the canter with all the body parts in the right place. I was told that I could not let him go out of a 10 meter circle (bend-wise or parameter-wise) and the moment he even got to that 10 meter circle limit I was to walk again. I was told it would be better to have several one stride canter attempts that were correct in foot fall, use of body than to veer off into a straight line or too large of an arc (lose the bend). It was no surprise to find this exercise very hard for Junior and it will take time to build on this. I got some good steps both directions but it is so much easier on the left lead than the right. The next exercise was medium trot and how to use bend in the medium trot to prevent losing his hind end out behind and/or flattening and bracing in the front. I was doing a lot of medium trot on the quarter line with a 15 meter circle (or half 15 meter circle) of medium trot in the middle and then continuing straight, again focusing on keeping the appropriate bend throughout and if he braced against me (not yield to the inside leg) I would send him into a leg yield (pretty steep slope) to the wall. It was pretty neat how it worked and how Junior was definitely finding his power. Looking forward to my next lesson.

Ace: try to keep him in shape as it starts to heat up.

This we've worked on and continue to do so, lots of trot-canter-trot on the lunge line helps keep that pregnancy bulge in check LOL

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jun 30, 2022 5:32 pm

Oooh those exercises with Junior look interesting!! Will have to give them a go! Thanks for sharing

I did get RB to canter with Joplin the other day. I hear you on different quality of canter depending on the lead. Same with Joplin.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:11 pm

Oh, Maia! Give your mom a break!!!

So, a recap:

1. Get over my FC mental block. If I stay on message, he can do them with his eyes closed. Yes, we have made some real breakthroughs on this. I'm happy.

2. Work on the canter connection and throughness. Yes to this, too. Still needs more, but doesn't it always?

3. Work on mediums and extensions, trot and canter, developing better cadence and less frantic-ness (franticity? That should be a word!) Work in progress. Vastly improved as I have found my seat much better having put my stirrups up a hole.

3. Get ourselves polished up to do a respectable 3.1 at the beginning of July. Well, that's the "man plans, God laughs" part of this challenge. I tried. But I'm not one of the chosen few. I'm aiming for Estes Park in August now.

4. Get out of the sandbox a bit. We did trailer out to a clinic, which was both fun and immensely helpful. Riding out on the property has been rather curtailed by all the monster earth moving equipment and earthworks that are taking place.

So, all in all, a very satisfactory couple of months of training. Throw in the free desensitizing due to the work going on around the barn, and things have gone really well.

Onwards and Upwards!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:39 pm

Pretty sure the theme of this year is "where does the time go??" Good to see all of the progress on these wrap-ups!

Ponichiwa wrote:Sweating season is fully upon us here in TX; RIP my ability to wear the same clothes all day, inclusive of a quick walk during lunch.

Undeniably true. More than 15 >100F days in June = send help, I'm dying.

Ponichiwa wrote:Goals this time around:
Queso:
- Concerted medium canter practice 2x/week
- Half steps 1x/week
- Introduce multiple changes
- (Stretch) Show at the end of May? (and also turn that tail white again)-- probably 2nd level but potential for 3rd if all the stars align

Me:
- Lose 5lb
- 40min walk/ride/bike daily

Shock of all shocks, I nailed all of my goals (sans stretch goal of showing-- although I did re-whiten Q's tail) this time around. I got 3 accidental 2-tempis the other day when I was schooling counter canter serpentines... win some, lose the rest.

And I did manage to lose 5lb although I just got back from vacation and haven't worked up the nerve to check post-vacation progress. I fear it's not good news.

Excited for July/August, but mostly excited for rain (FINALLY) to go along with the break in temperatures we're getting this week.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:26 pm

Had another lesson with my instructor at her farm today in the heat, though their indoor is amazing and seems to stay cool even in 88 degree weather. Mikey seems fit and the canter is getting better and better. Working on 15 m circles, LY out and back to 15m. As well as transitions. I need to not pull back on my inside hand in transitions and keep him rounder. Of course we started with walk-halt, then walk-trot then trot-canter. We are also working on HI and a few steps of TOH. In the looky corners I really need to focus on more bend and a LY-like feeling or he inverts a little. He was very civilized today and had plenty of energy. We are just having fun!!

SF-So sorry about Tesla and your hubby. Healing for all!

lipsmackerpony-more pics, Lynx is just adorable. Cantering out is so good!! You two look like you are doing really well.

Chisamba-go for it!

Moutaineer-fingers crossed for you-gah!

Ponichiwa-congrats on meeting all your goals!

Heddylamar-jingles for Maia!

exvet-you are the energizer bunny. I love your exercises, reports and energy. You are my inspiration!!

Aleuronx-works in progress, all of us. And I hope the barn situation calms down, gosh.

blob-feel better!!

I know I didn't get every one, but I love hearing all about everything. Keep up the hard work and to all who need healing, sending it your way!!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Jul 01, 2022 4:15 am

Finally made it to the barn today. It has only been 2 days but I missed Kyra’s ‘smiling’ face. Especially in light of her weird little episode last week.
She was just right as rain…even a bit cheeky. I interrupted her lunch and tied her in the aisle to work on the boot fitting. She knew she has some lunch left and first had to paw…quit that. I get the who me? look like I can’t see her. Then she proceeded to try and untie herself. I would say she is fine ;).
Absolutely no evidence of any further bleeding. Thank goodness.

I was super tired as the roofers showed up at 7:15am and finished at 10pm last night. Mom got kind of agitated with the constant noise overhead. I was told it would take 2 days so expected them to knockoff at 6 or 7. Oh no, they were going to finish. She hadn’t slept well the night before and could not nap with all the noise. If I had known they were going to do a marathon session to get it done, I would have trundled her off to my sister’s for most of the day. Oh well. She slept good last night…and I didn’t. I didn’t even try to ride but did take Kyra out to do some walking. I have been watching these 2 dudes from the Netherlands…Matt Harnacke and Jesse Drent. They are male models (nice eye candy) but also very good young horsemen. Jesse does a lot of Liberty stuff and does a little different positioning for Spanish walk. I though I would try it with Kyra In hopes I could get her a little more forward. That has been a difficult process for her. She can lift her legs quite readily but the walk part has been slow in coming and I think part of it is my positioning. So I tried the new positioning (walking along side instead of in front of her). She was confused initially but had it figured out after 2nd set requested. 3rd set was,lovely. She is such a smart girl. I plan to get back on tomorrow morning and do an easy work and hopefully get back to business by Monday.

My goals were sort of attained. Kyra has had a couple sessions of body work. She has been moving well. Her lumpy leg has remained cool but my she does still does have a goose egg. My weight is steady…I haven’t gained any back but can still do more by getting rid of the after meal York mini and Rolos. I am trying some hacks to help blunt the glucose response which should help burn fat that are very do-able. I am reading a book called the Glucose Revolution which explains why you want to get rid of insulin spikes. Pretty interesting stuff. I have also been doing a program that uses a continuous glucose monitor. I started that in March and I think have 5 or 6 sensors left. It has been great to see the effects of meals, stress and sleep on blood sugar right in your face. I probably won’t renew when my 6 months is up but it has given me a lot of information. Now I need to do something with it.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:31 am

Kyras_Mom wrote:Finally made it to the barn today.

My goals were sort of attained. Kyra has had a couple sessions of body work. She has been moving well. Her lumpy leg has remained cool but my she does still does have a goose egg. My weight is steady…I haven’t gained any back but can still do more by getting rid of the after meal York mini and Rolos. I am trying some hacks to help blunt the glucose response which should help burn fat that are very do-able. I am reading a book called the Glucose Revolution which explains why you want to get rid of insulin spikes. Pretty interesting stuff. I have also been doing a program that uses a continuous glucose monitor. I started that in March and I think have 5 or 6 sensors left. It has been great to see the effects of meals, stress and sleep on blood sugar right in your face. I probably won’t renew when my 6 months is up but it has given me a lot of information. Now I need to do something with it.

Susan

Which CGM are you using? In truth there are at least a hundred things that affect your blood glucose / insulin spikes that have nothing to do with food and some that have to do with food but are not carbs. The CGM monitors glucose level in cellular fluids which is about half an hour later than blood glucose. I have also noticed different levels based on where I attatch it.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:47 pm

It is the Dexcom G6.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 01, 2022 5:11 pm

I can finish up my closeout. I thought I'd ride Annabelle yesterday but DH had his wrist surgery and I was just kind of over everything and figured she could use a day off.

Self
Hit the gym at least 2x a week, and run outside 1x I did this probably 7/10 weeks. I'm definitely noticing that my muscle tone is better and I keep peeling the onion on my core strength and symmetry.
Clean up that diet, go lower on carbs again and drop the 5-6# that crept on over winter.Nope.
Possibly sign on for DRT 2 (I have a week to decide)Decided to wait until the next time it opens up. DRT 1 gave me some good exercises to incorporate into my usual workouts
Break in those shiny blue boots.Yes, now that it's warmer, the sweat seems to be helping break in the ankles.

Annabelle
Keep cleaning up the second level work.
The canter HP is coming, so hopefully we'll have a nice one at the end of this two months.Had to step back from collected work, so not really.
Show First-3 and Second-1 in May and June. These will be our first recognized shows. :shock:That didn't work out
Take as many lessons as possible.Yes; fewer than anticipated, but I think we got 4-5.
Do a little jumping once a week. We jumped a few times and I even managed to canter through a little course of verticals without coaching.
Mixed bag with Annabelle. She came up with a sore hock in early May so had a couple weeks off and a couple more staying way from collected work. This also caused us to miss most of our showing opportunities for the year.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”