April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
exvet
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby exvet » Sat Jun 18, 2022 1:38 am

Congrats Moutaineer and Chantal. Nothing better than getting some harmony and being on the same page.

Love the picture, Chantal.

Chisamba

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:58 am

Inspired by Flight's clinic with Tiago, I started counting, one two three change and I found it helpful in two ways, it made me much more specific in my timing of my legs for the change and more specific in recognizing when I was being blown off, as it were.

Inspired by exvet, I have been on a mission to make my canter in each direction equally supple, rideable and powerful.

So what was the reward? Of all things a rather nice sit and top line in the piaffe. Or at least in my humble opinion if you ignore the rider's foot posture. And I am aware that my goal is to be more on the spot.
Attachments
Piaffe Saiph 120712_Gallery_240x285.jpg
Progress in piaffe
Piaffe Saiph 120712_Gallery_240x285.jpg (61.42 KiB) Viewed 5256 times

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:36 pm

OMGaia, I count ALL of the time riding, for everything. I always have. It keeps the rhythm and the timing and makes my body clearer to the horses so they know "when." Ready set go walk. One two three canter. One two three collect.

I have just been working on basics. I can't afford to show or drive the truck, so only done one so far this year. I'll do one in two weeks and I think the AA champs. with Quinn because they are close (they don't have I-2 or GP) so nothing for Quilla.) I think I am going to skip even trying to show in August/Sept. because I don't need it, can't afford it ($10k in vet bills the last six months on trying to save and losing two cats and a dog--it's been heartbreaking) and with the way things have been going, it's been hot and smokey, and I am losing my ability to handle the heat. I plan on doing one show end of Oct. to get the first scores for champs. next year.

With Quilla, just getting the ones and the p/p super settled. I'm pretty happy. I have been doing lot of quick, quick work, like pirouette, ext canter, twos ext canter, ones, ext canter, so she gets thinking a lot quicker and read to go, which from what I can tell is getting me pretty clean ones consistently, and better and me through in everything. P/P just always on the ground and in the saddle in the snaffle, the double, and with and without whip so she's really steady in everything. I've really been working on a quicker passage so she can carry better and doesn't get into just using the front and big walk steps behind. I can't believe with how much work she is getting on just grass hay and basically nothing else she's kind of fat. She has a big belly, and I think those are fat pads over her tail, not just muscle!

With Quinn it's been mostly trying to figure out why she's tight and how to fix it. I don't know if the aloe vera and other herbs I'm finding is helping, or doing more pressure points in her haunches and lots of cavalettis after trail to start, but it seems better. And I've been working on getting her to take quicker steps in everything--she is the steadiest tempo horse I've ever seen, but she goes too slow and can then end up leaving her hind end behind and "tripping" and breaking. So, everything with her is trying to speed up the tempo a bit to get the hind end under, quicker and steadier, to esp. improve the ext trot, but it really helps everything.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Jun 19, 2022 1:30 pm

Sorry to be late to the party but goodness Moutaineer, you do not give yourself enough credit. Potters is going to teach you loads and you already ride him so competently, embrace it.

Chantal and Chisamba great pics! And so good to hear from you Tanga with the girls. I feel like we all had a shared experience with counting this past week. I used it a bit with deconstructing the extended walk/medium walk/trot to canter movement and it really helped me ‘do something’ besides just a hope and prayer.

Competition this weekend was a grand success! Kora learned more adversity in show warmups and was rideable each day in the test. We did 1st 3 both days and scored 64.44% (judge gave us a 6.0 on gaits like, uh okay.) and 67.22%, now between last show and this are fully qualified for regionals. Woo!!

I’m very proud of her and myself for nailing our improvement goals for this show. Getting pow-pow lengthening trots, check. Walking entire tour with no jig, check for yesterday and Friday had only one step. Right lead canter lengthening with no flying change, check for yesterday and Friday was me being greedy and asking for extra gear near E. We’re learning her and I while having a blast. And oh my lord is my jacket incredible and worth every penny!

Sound on to enjoy the lovely and cheeky supportive commentary from my barn mates, remind me that next sections goals are to gain her confidence to ride closer in the arena corners
https://youtu.be/--EGWyAqrrc

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jun 19, 2022 2:35 pm

Congratulations Aleruonx! Sounds like a great show.

We survived our maiden voyage into the abyss called the recognized dressage showing experience........and what an experience it was ;) For those who don't know WestWorld, it's a facility that got its start through the efforts of the hosts of the February Arabian Horse Show which is the largest Arabian show in the world (at least according to the hosts). They've made major improvements to the facility so that it can now host indoor shows in air conditioning. This aspect was quite nice I must say. The venue, however, can be quite intimidating. I had 4 scratches in my second class.

My first class, training 2 was in the Equidome which is walled off from everything else (from the horse's perspective) and is usually the arena used for 'featured' events. Brandon did very well warming up on Friday. He spooked at nothing and put up with a lot of chaos since they were still setting up and moving in - horses, exhibitors, rings, etc. Hilda Gurney was the judge for our first test on Saturday. From the moment we went in to ride around the arena, to being whistled in, to the final halt, Brandon screamed......... the whole time. He never did anything naughty. He gave me all transitions where I asked for them and really didn't set a foot wrong but though every movement from the stretchy circle to the free walk to the halt started out spectacular, the were only to be killed with tension from the screaming. We made Hilda laugh out loud several times and it was obvious we were both giggling by the end. We got a 60 for that test. It was first place only because the other rider in the test was riding open and she earned a 62 (rode before we did). The great part about the test was that Hilda gave Brandon a 7 for gaits, me a 7.5 for rider position and a 7 for effectiveness of the aids with just one comment at the end - 'Tactful Riding'. I'd rather be acknowledged for the velcro on my hiney than the score or placing each and every time (though I welcome the day where getting through the test depends less on my 'tact' and more on a quiet, pleasant ride that just flows from the mind through the seat and hands to the horse's body LOL, in my dreams, in my dreams).

The second test was far quieter LOL. The ring we rode in was adjacent to another of the show arenas and Brandon wasn't all by himself. He was tired though and a wee bit cranky. He also was a little unnerved by the damn birds dive bombing us and making racket on the bleachers as they were scavenging for scraps and crumbs. Long story short we ended up with a 65 and change on Test 1. He was openly demonstrative about his disrespect for contact when there were so many other things he wanted to focus on in the moment........still he gave me transitions where and when I asked. His free walk was really nice.

At the end of the day there were no unscheduled dismounts, no eliminations and a very happy and tired horse practically running to put himself back on the trailer to go home ;) So for us, we'll call it success.

https://hosting.photobucket.com/images/ ... s/Trot.jpg

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jun 19, 2022 3:15 pm

Aleuronx, congrats on the lovely test. You and Kora look smashing! I agree that 6 for gaits seems low... wonder what the judge was giving to Annabelle types?

ExVet, well done with the big atmosphere for a young horse. Oof, the screaming. I had a paint mare and she was perfect at schooling shows, then I showed her in halter at an APHA show and she screamed the entire time. I just had to stand there and wish the ground would swallow me up. Luckily I've grown more of a sense of humor in the past couple decades. ;)

Here is some video of the end of my ride on T yesterday. This was actually the first time she's quit on me in canter in awhile, but happy enough that she stepped right back into it and went back to work. The little bit that she does think about stalling these days, I go to the one hand, I'll beat your butt option right away rather than dragging it out into an argument. On the left lead there are some glimpses of the canter she'll have when she's stronger. Hoping we can stay on this trajectory and make a lot of progress this summer!

https://youtu.be/GOjiakKCMGI
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun Jun 19, 2022 6:15 pm

Aleuronx Nice ride. Feedback from me on the gaits as a judge (I have another show to judge next weekend)--it's the canter. It's very lateral. Her lengthen trot is really nice and you see the nice trot when you are going forward after the canter, but it needs more forward before--maybe post? (I can hear your friends telling you to go me forward, too.) I'm not sure about the canter. Is that normal for her? Honestly, in that video, it's a 5, thus the score I think. It was a little better in the lengthen, but not a a lot. It looks two beat, and to the right, it's haunches in. You might know all of this or tell me to jump in lake--just my perspective from the video.

Exvet Good job. Hilda is not a high scoring judge, so think that would be 3-5% more with others.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:02 pm

Nicely ridden test Aleuronix, I do agree with Tango that your canter brought the gait score down. I do think her connection was better in canter but her gait better in trot.

Well done exvet with your debut in the busy arena.

StraightForward, Tesla is showing great progress.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jun 19, 2022 10:25 pm

Here is Caliburn's first second level test. Judge was a bit amusing, we were the last ride of the day and so as I was leaving she asked " who is this". I said " I am.... ". I know who you are, who in the horse. Do you know from the front his blaze looks like a sword? ".

Lol. Yes his name is Caliburn which is the sword king arthur pulled from the stone.

Anyway, I felt like I needed ten more minutes of warm up. But here is my test for this who would like to see it.

63.9. Scores ranged from 9 ( one halt) to 4 ( free walk)

https://youtu.be/5HDDlmg3u6I
Last edited by Chisamba on Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:01 pm

Really appreciate your thoughts Tanga! No lake jumping required, I wouldn’t have posted it if I thought I was above all. We actually scored a 7.0 for gaits from that test, the day before we were scored a 6.0. It’s interesting as I was braiding her in her turnout before we left that day she stretched each hind leg straight out, like a yoga stretch. In hindsight I think the travel was a bit too much to do back and forth for two days in a row, 2 hr drive on hilly and bumpy Vermont roads. I felt her hamstrings and glutes were sore, lesson learned we will only sign up for one day if not staying overnight.

And yes, haunches in going right is our evasion of the straightness at the moment good catch.

Happy to share what video I have from the day before as comparison to the canter. Mind you this is the 6 scoring ride… Just curious what all thinks as comparison.

https://youtu.be/ARrAUFsR3HE

Exvet well done with Brandon and a cracking score from Hilda, she is a tough cookie.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:40 pm

Lots of lovely video to look at! Sounds like you all had productive weekends. I worked in my yard and went on a hike with my husband today... back to it tomorrow. Hopefully the howling wind will have given up by then.

Al, yes, she does look a bit tight behind, shame when everything else was so good. But she was willing and trying, and remembering your recent struggles with her, that's huge! I think we forget how hard trailering can be on them. We're going to trailer up on the Wednesday and give them a settling-in day before the show next month, for just that reason.

Caliburn looks good Chisamba. How was your hip?

Exvet, a fellow boarder just got back from showing at a Western show at Westworld. She was saying that while the arenas are airconditioned, the stalls were not. It was 114 degrees while she was there--they had to bring in portable AC and fans... Nice score from Hilda. You always know you are going to get an honest assessment from her!

SF, Tesla looks great! You must be so pleased with her progress!

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jun 20, 2022 2:21 am

Moutaineer wrote:
Exvet, a fellow boarder just got back from showing at a Western show at Westworld. She was saying that while the arenas are airconditioned, the stalls were not. It was 114 degrees while she was there--they had to bring in portable AC and fans... Nice score from Hilda. You always know you are going to get an honest assessment from her!

Gosh, I didn't realize she had a reputation for a low ceiling. I've shown under her before and earned 67-69 with a couple of horses from my past.

They did 'fix' the air conditioning issue with the stabling by the time the dressage show was to start (ie, by move-in day). It's easier for them to keep the South Hall air conditioned and they kept the garage doors closed with only minimal exceptions. I got Brandon a day stall which was in the middle of the stall set up. The quarters were cramped but the temperature was more than tolerable. I had heard the same thing about the weekend before since one of my colleagues was there for that show as were my nextdoor neighbors. I had long before planned on only showing the one day and am so glad I stuck to the plan for many reasons, the unknowing of them being able to keep the stabling cool was one of them.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:26 am

Great show results everyone.

Aleuronx…I thought her canter looked better in the first test. Oh well, still good scores and always things to work on.

SF—Tesla is really developing a motor.

I had a really nice ride today. Friday, not so much. I ended up having a short CTJ (come to Jesus) session in our Friday ride because I had just had it with her distraction with the velociraptors (birds) in the southwest corner of the arena. I didn’t get mad…just insistent that she listen to me. I put her on the diagonal and asked for a TOF at the end. I insisted on 2 things…moving off my leg NOW and not bulling through the bridle after the turn. It took about 4 repetitions to get her listening to me and not worried about the 5 inch birds flitting in and out of the willows. After said CTJ session, we could go through the scary corner and if I put my leg on or touched her with the whip, I got an ear (sometimes 2) instead of stiffness and tension from looking outside the arena. Not all of our issues were her. I had a hellacious time holding onto the reins and keeping a consistent feel and length with my worn out gloves :P . Amazon was kind enough to drop me off a new pair Friday (after I rode of course) and I used them today. They were fabulous and we had a much better session. She gave me 2 lovely lengthened trots with very definite lengthening without losing her balance and staying in front of the leg including the downwards. We finished with a nice ride around the property. The foal (that she loses her mind over) was in the barn but the goats were out and she just trundled on by.

Everyone has such nice videos.

Here is mine…she gets a good score for snoring :lol: .
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0b6ZDy_ ... N1mhxzhM9g

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:27 am

[quote]Caliburn looks good Chisamba. How was your hip?/quote]

Frankly he was hard to sit on, especially since he was a bit tense, and honestly I think he felt my tightness too, but we both survived lol

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:42 pm

Some great updates! Aleuronx lovely test! So glad you’ve got Kora back on track after your difficulties with her medical issues. I could see how she would get tight affecting her canter hauling that much.

Chisamba glad you were able to reach your goal of getting Caliburn out at 2nd. I think we’ve all been there having to sit when the horse was not quite giving us a place to sit!

Exvet yeah!! So happy for you that Brandon handled a big atmosphere and got some nice scores while dealing with the challenge. Can’t ask for much more for his first big outing. Showing in AC sounds really nice.

We had a very successful Cedar clinic despite the heat. We started early and got most rides done before it got too hot and took a longer break Saturday riding later in the afternoon when there was more shade in my arena. We have such a good group of supportive riders and we have great fun enjoying our horses learning from Cedar and having fun supporting each other. Very blessed to have these good horsey friends in my life.

Both Joplin and Gaila were great. Rode in the new saddle the entire clinic and loved it. Cedar rode in it yesterday and liked the feel of it.

Some of the exercises we worked on. Both my horses are in similar spaces so the lessons used similar exercises.

Walk we did turn in renvere to walk pirouette. If the horse struggled with the rotation in renvere switch bend to tof get the horse more accepting then back to renvere. Same with walk pirouette. The idea though was to do turn in renvere to walk pirouette in the same bend. Joplin struggled just a bit with this exercise in left bend but ultimately did it very well. Gaila was a bit harder. She’s just not as supple and we put her in the double for the first time adding another layer of difficulty. I don’t have video of this exercise but it is a good one in the walk to get the horse more upright in the shoulders and targets the difficult diagonal which in Joplin it’s the right hind left front.

In trot we did lots of counter SI to SI on bending lines and moving from one lateral movement to another not staying in them for very long going large around the arena. We also worked piaffe a good bit with Joplin US. We did both piaffe from walk and trot. Cedar recommends that I concentrate on piaffe from trot right now. Helps with the diagonals. Her piaffe in hand is spectacular! Did not get video of it but she really shows her talent for it in hand now. Cedar wished we had videoed it during the piaffe lecture/demo. She’s so much fun.

Canter we worked similar with both. Using counter bending to SF in canter and riding rounded squares so we have straight lines and ask for more collected canter during straight. Joplin we worked CC a good bit Sunday. She’s getting it better and better. That big ole canter she’s got to learn to control that canter and it’s coming. Gaila we did more HI with some counter bending and SF. Cedar also rode her and got a clean change R to L.

Piaffe Joplin videos

https://youtu.be/ci01l9fYDDg

https://youtube.com/shorts/NW6CkbSx8Ck?feature=share
Last edited by khall on Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:47 pm

More videos to share. Really happy with my girls!

Canter working on counter bending and SF and straight. It’s nice that I can actually ask for exercises in the canter now with Joplin

https://youtube.com/shorts/jcafca9rgtY?feature=share

CC

https://youtube.com/shorts/gr_hmdfsutY?feature=share

https://youtube.com/shorts/bajCUNzTxmE?feature=share

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:49 pm

And Gaila in the double. REALLY liked how she accepted the double and how she went in it. Will be a good addition to her training

https://youtu.be/MWdHtquuEr4

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:29 pm

Both Tesla and Kora are showing a tendency of lateral canter. Not something I’ve dealt with before but it is my understanding that the back is locked up when they get lateral like in a lateral walk. I know both mares have had their share of medical issues. I know to help fix a lateral walk you use SI especially

Cedar had many of us in this clinic using counter bending HI and SF in the canter to help develop the canter quality.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:58 pm

Khall is your piaffe video set to private? I couldn't access that one. Really enjoyed watching this I could see

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:31 pm

Maia’s now a Texas horse 8-)

BF211854-3B17-4D9C-B919-974197E44BA4.jpeg
BF211854-3B17-4D9C-B919-974197E44BA4.jpeg (101.98 KiB) Viewed 5047 times

So far she hasn’t demanded AC! There is a gelding at her new barn with his own minisplit. On the new BO’s advice, I’m leaving her on electrolytes.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:38 pm

Aleuronix Thanks for the video comparison from the day before. Yes, it looked better, but it's still a VERY lateral canter which really should get a 5 because it's almost two beat, so averaging gaits maybe a 6.5, but not a 7. I don't know what they score like there, but around here to get a 7 on gaits, you almost have to be a world beater. Anything lateral in any gait would never get above a 6. You've seen videos of both my girls, who I think are pretty nice mover. I don't think I've ever gotten a 7 on gaits, except maybe a few times at the lower levels? Do you have any older video that you think looks different?

khall I don't see anything on the video that shows a lateral canter. It's actually really nice. The only thing I see is a big canter where it's a bit slow so she's getting lost a little. I think quicker would help a lot. (That's my think now.) If she is a bit quicker and moves her legs faster, she can get them under and carry a lot more easily. It's SO much harder for them to be slower and do hard stuff.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:46 pm

I thought I posted something but it seems to have went poof or I accidentally put it in a different thread.

Either way, wow, I'm enjoying all the photos and videos from everyone. Congratulations on lots of good progress and outings.

Lynx and I did a clinic at our home barn with an Eventer. It was good. Saturday we did a dressage lesson. Lynx was very focused expect for one fairly good size spook at an orange cone we had passed multiple times lol. It was so hot and I think he was tired by then. I know I was on the verge of heat exhaustion. We did lots of good work on my position (longer leg and bent elbows as usual) and worked on leg yields and getting his canter a little more together.

Sunday we did poles. I got nervous but honestly we did good. The clinician jokingly asked why I hesitate at all, that I'm a better rider than I think. Lol

Lynx gets a training ride in the field today and tomorrow a much deserved day off.
Attachments
IMG_20220618_162627_791_copy_432x432.jpg
IMG_20220618_162627_791_copy_432x432.jpg (43.91 KiB) Viewed 5043 times

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:47 pm

Lynx surprised me with this one spook. I actually did sit back and get him under control quickly but definitely was a good spin lol.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220618-181104_copy_305x271.png
Screenshot_20220618-181104_copy_305x271.png (120.9 KiB) Viewed 5043 times

khall

Postby khall » Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:59 pm

Chisamba see if they are available now

Tanga I went back on both Tesla and Kora’s videos because to me they look similar in the nqr ness of their movement. Pause their canter see what the footfalls are. I went back and paused Joplin’s canter videos and it shows clarity of the footfalls. Of course her canter is huge and we are just now starting to collect it. And I’m not critiquing to be nasty at all. I know how difficult Tesla has been and hats off the SF for persevering with a challenging mare and getting her going as well as she is now. That’s a big mare with some tude! And Kora too has had her challenges. Both SF and Aleuronx are good riders it just struck me how similar the two canters were.
Last edited by khall on Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:01 pm

I'm glad Maia got there in one piece, Heddy. What a long trip!

I arrived at the barn this morning to the excavator ripping out trees on the corner of the outdoor arena. OK, then, we'll go inside. I get halfway through tacking up and he comes trundling across the driveway and starts ripping out a tree next to the indoor arena, dropping parts of it on the roof, screeching metal noises, crashing sounds. Horses scatter in all directions...

At which point I untacked, unwrapped and put Potters back outside in his turnout, and drove the 45 minutes home.

It's going to be a long summer.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:30 pm

Hurrrah, Heddy! Glad you guys had a good trip and arrived safe and sound.

Congrats, Chisamba and Aleuronx on some great show results.

LSP, sounds like a productive clinic despite the uncharacteristic spook. Lynx looks lovely in that first picture.

Re: lateral canter: Aleuronx, I recall you sharing a video of you and Kora cantering in the fields not too long ago? I remember her canter looking quite nice in that video and I don't remember it looking lateral there.

In the clinic I did with Albrecht Heidmann about a month ago, he said that when I collected RP's canter it could get lateral (something that is new and not a comment I've had about him before) and it was simply because he wasn't in front of the leg enough to handle collection. So he had me REALLY get RP super forward in the canter. He wanted me to put in a few weeks of that kind of canter work before even thinking about collecting him again. I don't know if the same advice thing would work for Kora or Tesla, but wanted to share.

I ended up signing up for the show this coming weekend, but only for 1 day. I will haul in and out with the trainer/owner at my new barn. We'll do 1-3 twice--I have not ridden that test with a ton of success yet, so let's see how it goes.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Jun 20, 2022 11:37 pm

Heddylamar. Congratulations on a safe trip! And welcome to a warm climate! I definitely agree with your barn owner regarding electrolytes. Especially for a horse new to the climate. My horses in Arizona get them year round. The amount varies by horse size etc and the season, but even in the winter they get some. Right now mine are getting over 2 oz daily. Just check ingredients. Some are very high in sugar. I’ve had good luck with with Persevere. Good luck settling in and meeting new horsey friends!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:34 pm

Tanga I'm not sure what you mean by what they score like here. Our show organizers do a really great job of hiring judges from all over, Gary Rockwell, Lisa El-Ramey, Mike Osinki, Amy McElroy and Axel Steiner etc. It's rare to be at a show here where there are more than 1 or 2 judges from the New England area so I wouldn't say they 'score' any certain way here.

It will be interesting to see how Kora progresses through-out the season and gains in confidence within the show arena. I have to keep reminding myself this is only her 3rd time in the ring!

Blob we do a lot of forward and back as well as leg yielding in the canter to start increasing her lateral suppleness in the gait. I'm not hugely concerned as it's all part of the process, and her canter is more pure at home. I'm really pleased with her contact/connection at the moment and just happy to be going around honestly!

I'm laughing at your lil Lynx being a spicy boy LSP, great job sticking the spin and having a good clinic overall.

Thank goodness Maia has arrived safe and sound Heddy, hope she continues to settle in well to Texas life.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:45 pm

khall wrote:Both Tesla and Kora are showing a tendency of lateral canter. Not something I’ve dealt with before but it is my understanding that the back is locked up when they get lateral like in a lateral walk. I know both mares have had their share of medical issues. I know to help fix a lateral walk you use SI especially

Cedar had many of us in this clinic using counter bending HI and SF in the canter to help develop the canter quality.

We are not quite there to try lateral work in the canter. ;) I do try to turn a little early and kind of get a SF feeling drifting to the rail when I get a chance, and starting to circle smaller and then LY out of the circle. At my last lesson the instructor noted that T tends to get wide behind in canter but not in trot. Chiro last week said she carries tension in the lumbar portion of her back, which was no surprise to me. We are working on loosening it up, and I think as she gets more comfortable in her balance under saddle, the tension will get less and her canter will improve. I've just started doing a little bit of baby travers with her, so I think that's going to help loosen up her back end as well, and we are using a lot of SI now that we've found forward. Of course it's only been a few weeks since we've turned this corner and it will take time. I have lessons with my older instructor Thursday and Sunday, and I'm sure she'll have some good advice.

I think jumping will be good for her, but I need to get a few jump lessons on A before I try it (and I've been enjoying this honeymoon period of not fighting). I did jump A and managed to canter a course of ~2' verticals last night without instruction, but I'm working on scheduling a jump lesson with the BO next week.
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jun 21, 2022 2:53 pm

SF you’ve done a very good job of peeling back the layers on T for sure. That’s interesting that your instructor noticed she goes wide behind in the canter. I’m glad T is stepping up to the plate with more willingness. Definitely HI helps with the suppleness in the hips. You might be surprised if you tried a bit of counter bending with her. Anyway I know T has been quite the challenge in so many ways and how much better she is going now is a testament to your training.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:35 pm

LSP, that is a pretty good blooper shot. Glad you had a good clinic!

Heddy, congrats on getting to Texas with your girl. I'm sure it's a relief to have that trip behind you!

Blob, I agree on the forward if the canter isn't true. I really don't collect Tesla except to show her that maybe she could consider just a few strides with more cadence. Right now it's a matter of showing her she can step down into a forward trot and not get tight and jam her back legs into the ground (you can see this when we go across the arena and change leads through the trot).
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:22 am

I had such a good lesson this morning! (Potters completely ignored the track hoe that kept appearing and disappearing on the bank above and behind the barn.)

I think trainer was trying to keep our minds occupied because of said track hoe, so she set up 2 sets of cones to make a pair of side by side 10 meter circles at one end of the ring, and we worked at a sitting trot through and round those and threw in some 20 meter circles and back to 10 meter, keeping things forward. Interesting what that level of focus and precision does for quieting your hands and body, and getting the horse moving forward and very through. Shoulder in and half pass where just flowingly easy after 15 minutes or so of working on that, the medium trot came through very sittably and the canter work was delightful.

My SI joint is just killing me, though. I'm going to have to suck it up until after the show, then I'll need to go see a man with a long needle. I think.

And I've been sitting in front of my computer for the past 4 hours, which doesn't help. I need to go water what's left of the garden after last night's hard frost and stretch things out a bit.

Happy Solstice!

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:48 pm

This morning I had a fantastic lesson on Junior. We still have miles to go but our bending at the trot and the canter is improving and we had a clean change today from left to right. In addition to tons of shoulder-in at the trot and canter and going from shoulder-in to shoulder-out, we also worked on transitions, transitions, transitions especially within the gait. In each direction as Junior became more supple and easier to ride I would be asked to leg yield to the other side in order to change directions and rinse and repeat. We worked a lot on canter departs and helping Junior understand that the departs need to be impulsion packed (and right from the half-halt) so not just going up but going up AND forward. It was explained that so many of the shorter backed powder keg types are afraid to really do forward with power because they scare themselves not knowing what to do with all of it, which really made sense; so, building confidence before we ran out of gas was the goal. I also found out that it's okay to use the outside rein in our shoulder-ins, shoulder-outs, half passes and 10 meter circle to help create the bend and keep his shoulders from popping out. Previously I was always getting yelled at to not cross the hand over the wither which I get but it seemed like I could never hold the hand close to the wither without getting yelled at......so either I wasn't all that wrong or my problem got fixed in a dream one night ;) So basically shutting the door on Junior's outside shoulder (especially the right shoulder on the left rein) really helped with our suppling. Once Junior became more supple I could close my leg and get him to lift the withers and come behind it with more power......really, really, cool........ I'm still working towards making the right rein and left rein canters the same. We're closer. Junior is stronger and not spreading his hind legs quite so wide (especially to the left) but we're not quite there yet. We ended the lesson with trot half passes and creating more expression. I had a different Welsh cob by the end of it all. Molly was a bit surprised but pleased to see just how much expression Junior has in him (sounds like he really is a chip off the ole block - half passes were and are something his sire always found easy and we usually scored 7-8 on those). This next week we're going to do our homework and look forward to see if we've inched our way any closer to having the same canter on both reins. Once we do, at least in theory, I should have no more skip a changes and be able to ask for the fc with confidence in producing clean ones.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:24 pm

Ive been trying to keep up with everyone but just havent had the time (or energy!) to update myself. I had a flat tire so am now sitting at the tire shop and will take advantage of the down time.

Im finishing up 4 weeks of lessons 5 days a week. Im kinda tired but my body is holding up just find. Trainer is working me hard but I feel that things are going in the right direction. My biggest issue is to stop over using the inside rein. In theory, it’s not complicated but I have a long history of muscle memory that has to be changed. And it’s working. A lot of the work is at the walk, but we still do quite a bit of trot and canter. The walk is hardest on my hips. I was wondering about Blob’s comment on different saddle twists and talked to my trainer about it. Turns out that the saddle Besa came with is a close contact dressage saddle and that’s why it stretches my hips so much. Rocky’s saddle is the same width (Medium wide) as Besa’s but not close contact. So I tried it today for the first time and WOW! What a difference. So much more comfortable.

The clinic I was going to ride in got partly cancelled because the clinician couldn’t get a flight. She’ll be here Sat and Sun but I didnt sign up for those days. I’m not too disappointed because I think I’m already at my limit with my current trainer. This clinician comes on a regular basis so I’ll ride with her eventually.

Rocky is on dressage vacation. She doesn’t seem to mind. The triple digit temps are just too much for me to manage two horses. I am trail riding her on the weekends which is easier on both of us. DH is also starting to ride her and they are quite a pair! I’ll try to post a pic.
01165F71-2311-4948-826F-588D33EB3612.jpeg
01165F71-2311-4948-826F-588D33EB3612.jpeg (74.3 KiB) Viewed 4848 times

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:32 am

Just wanted to share a picture of Joplin and I during the Cedar clinic. We lucked out avoiding most of the heat. These last few days have been brutal and we need rain terribly. But we did get 430 bales of hay up Monday after the clinic weekend. Now DH has Covid:( but he’s vaccinated and boostered so hopefully it will be a mild case and please jingle that mom and I stay Covid free. She’s 85 I hate for her to get sick even though she’s vaccinated

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... E1Bxl/?d=n.

And one more though the canter picture is my favorite

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... mTRFl/?d=n

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:07 pm

Exvet, sounds like you're continuing to make great progress on the canter and clean FCs.

Demi, it also sounds like you're having a great time with Besa and the intense lesson schedule! I'm sure Rocky is enjoying being a husband horse for a bit. ;)

Khall, jingles for DH and not passing on the covid. FWIW, my husband brought it home in January and I never got sick. We didn't go to extreme measures, just stayed in separate rooms and he would get his food after I got mine and left the kitchen.

I had pretty good lessons on both girls yesterday. I've slacked off on my workouts the past few weeks with travel and then my dad visiting. I can feel it in my tendency to collapse left. Dad is leaving today, so I'm getting back on the core work train. Instructor (the one I've been working with almost 5 years) was really happy with how well Tesla was going. She reinforced a lot of what I've been working on already, and had us do a little bit of LY in canter as well. Overbent LY in trot to get her to loosen up, lots of change of posture, forward and back, etc. With Annabelle it was all about pushing the canter and trot through and getting her forward without hesitation. One exercise was halting from trot a couple steps out from a row of cavaletti, then hopping into trot through the poles so that she has to push off and immediately stretch into the trot to get through the poles. Then a lot of compressing the trot, building the trot in SI etc. Poor A was tired! We are going to do it all again on Sunday. It is going to be close to 100, so one of my lessons will be at 6 am, then I'll just have one ride to get through in the afternoon. Tuesday morning will be a jumping lesson with A, then I might see if we can get Tesla over some crossrails next week.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:30 pm

StraightForward I've been getting up to ride at 6 am most mornings due to our weather. We did get some rain overnight and into the morning so today was the first in a couple of weeks where we could actually go out for a decent length trail ride after our arena work. I like the exercise you described that you did on Annabelle with the cavaletti. I think Junior and I will give it a try tomorrow.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:35 pm

Khall--keeping fingers crossed for your mother. I too have Covid, despite being vaccinated and boosted. It seems numbers in GA are on the rise. I've been sick since Tuesday with no signs of slowing down, sigh. Fever is a bit lower today after several days of high fever, but cough has really picked up.

Of course I also had to scratch my show this weekend and have had a horse free week.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:46 pm

Sorry to hear that Blob. Hope you feel better soon. FWIW both my SO and I caught covid after having been vaccinated and boostered. My SO was sick for just 3-4 days. I had it for 5 days and didn't feel better until that 6th day. Once I got past the fever, I was back to normal quickly. I know it affects everyone a bit differently. Stinks about the show.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:13 pm

I’m sorry you are having a rough go of Covid blob. I know some who were vaccinated and boostered also were pretty sick. I worry most about mom. DH is isolating similar to SF and I’m limiting my time in mom’s apartment and wearing a mask. I had her caregiver who comes 4 days a week not come today. I know my DS has been exposed twice in two weeks. We’ve been lucky to have gotten this far into the pandemic and not have Covid. So far DH is not that sick

Definitely have pandemic fatigue

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:24 am

Healing thoughts for everyone with COVID right now. I have yet to have it (shockingly) but I know it's definitely not fun!

Mountaineer, I'm glad Potter's has been good boy! I hope your SI is okay. My mid back has been really stiff, on top of my usual aching lower back. It's not awful but it's there. I'm sure it doesn't help my riding though :/

If you guys want in life watch this little video clip with the sound up! My parents both came to watch and brought my daughter to help video. The moaning is from my mother ha ha. Apparently if she was really proud of that leg yield. :0

Lynx is a little unsteady in the clip but I had accidentally put my Herm Sprenger bit on backwards, it was blazing hot and of course He had just had the angles changed on his feet just a few days prior. He was still adjusting although today he felt pretty good.
https://youtube.com/shorts/VYx7iaV_PuM?feature=share
Last edited by Lipsmackerpony88 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:25 am

Khall, I just wanted to add that Joplin looks great. I love all the joy that radiates from your post about her!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:57 am

Yes...healing jingles for the COVID afflicted. I know we are all soooo tired of it and damn it, it isn't gone yet.

I have had a couple really nice rides on Kyra. The canter is starting to feel like something to work with. Trot has felt good and lateral work quite nice (I think). I would like her to be a bit softer in the connection but overall, I am pleased with her progress from this Spring and jumping out of her skin for just about any reason.

I had heart failure today though. I got to the barn and she was laying down in her newly bedded stall. OK...she didn't get up. OK...I spot cleaned around her and finally got her bag of Outlast that I feed pre-ride and shook it and she jumped up and ate it. Whew. If she still didn't get up then something is really wrong.
This week she has had loose poop with some fecal water. Not uncommon when she is in season so I didn't think much of it. She got body work yesterday (which she loved) and I bathed her so not even any work yesterday. She probably hasn't had a whole body bath in 2-3 years. The weather was nice and her tail, a green goopy mess so why not?

When she got up, I could see that her butt was a mess again so I cleaned it up. I thought I saw some blood but it wasn't real obvious and on her legs could have been pee splash. She seemed fine. Cleaned up her Outlast, her eyes were soft and her ears pricked so I went ahead and saddled her up. She worked great. Energetic, in front of the leg and her normal pleasant self. While I was walking her out, she stopped to poop. She normally doesn't poop under saddle but I didn't think much of it. Went and got the fork to clean it up and walked behind her and was horrified to see blood all down her lady parts and drips down her legs and in her tail :shock: . Of course I don't have my truck at the barn (you know...gas $$$). Call the vet who says they will work her in. Vet is 2 towns over :roll: . It is 1 in the afternoon on a Friday (read nasty traffic). Go home, get the truck and drive back to the barn to hook up the trailer and while I am grooming her and fly spraying her, she would squirt out 3-5 totally normal green poop balls then a squirt of bright red blood and mucus. WTH? Finally get her to stop pooping long enough to clean up the barn aisle and get her in the trailer. Luckily, I took some pictures because by the time I got to the vet she was no longer bleeding. The verdict (best guess) was....a bleeding hemorrhoid. She had no masses which is what I went to first...worst case...an internal melanoma. She is gray, 20 and has several external ones under her tail. The vet surmised that she had an engorged vein and the exercise broke it. What caused it? I have no idea. Feed hasn't changed, poop has been normal to soft. One article I read was they could sit too much :lol: . I have not ever seen her sit! She has been straining and leaning over the gate at the end of her pen to reach grass that she thinks she can reach...but can't.
Maybe that has done it? Oh and I get to pay for part of the cost of the gate. It was slightly bent before Kyra was in there. Now it is really bent :roll:.They are replacing it with a bull gate. Thanks horse.

That was my day. I really had nothing planned after my ride but for sure wasn't planning on this scenario. Fingers crossed whatever happened will resolve on its own. I will give her the next few days off. It is supposed to be 102 on Monday so that is as good excuse as any not to ride.
If the bleeding starts up again, they can try the scope...of course, you can't give a bowel prep to a horse to clean them out so she didn't know how successful that might be so we are saving that for further recourse if we need it.

Susan

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:03 am

Oh Susan how worrying... crossing fingers the issue resolves itself with no further vet intervention... at least Kyra must be feeling OK to have given you a nice forward ride. Ach, horses, there is always something eh.

Much enjoying reading everyone else's updates and progress (so much progress, wow!).

Jingles for those with and those avoiding covid. I'm in the latter camp, 'stuck' on a ship (60 people on board) and 6 covid cases.... they are isolating, but it is a pretty restricted environment, and the whole crew share mess facilities, so well, we will see...

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:37 pm

That would be very scary, Susan. I hope it's all resolved now.

Sorry for the Covid afflicted. It's too bad to have got this far and then to get afflicted. I've avoided it so far but am feeling like it's only a matter of time. I haven't had my 2nd booster yet as I'm "saving" it for a few weeks before our trip to Europe in October. Don't know if that's a good decision or not.

Potters had his hocks injected Thursday, so we are off games until tomorrow or Monday. I'm going to go tackle bathing Laddie this afternoon. He got into it with one of his field mates and for once didn't come out on top, so he needs a good clean up and some ointment...

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:49 pm

I went to check her this morning all was good. All her poop was in her pen and not tromped up so easy to examine. I found just a bit of blood in an older pile but otherwise all the poop was clean and green. She was alert and perky and had cleaned up breakfast. I didn’t have to do much booty cleaning so yes, it seems to have resolved as quick as it came on. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Honestly, having had horses for 56 years, this was a really new one for me.

Susan

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:22 am

Wow, Susan, that must have been scary! I'm so glad she is doing better and it seems to be a fairly straightforward matter. Thank you for sharing, as Emi too has some melanomas under her tail. It's always something to learn with horses.

Healing jingles to all who need it! I had a staff member come down with COVID (boosted, vaccinated) and she was quite ill for 10+ days but is now much better; she had a terrible case pre-vaccines and was really sad to deal with it again. I honestly don't know how we haven't gotten it, given workplace infections (that is my high risk activity, though I mask). I am so eager to travel for work and personally, but that is not quite in the cards for me yet due to extra health concerns.

It's great reading about the training leaps and rewards! I do miss that. Emi is trucking along but a few weeks of extreme heat and light work did her muscle building no favors. We are keeping on, though. Work is almost getting settled (focused). I need Emi to get to where she is going to get to (rehab takes time) before I consider another horse.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:00 am

I love reading everyone's updates. So much hard work, and so much good stuff!! Lipsmackerpony, Lynx looks good. And it sounds like A and T are doing well SF. Pics? Cause you know how I feel about a chestnut pony :D Wow, good for you with the changes exvet! We get clean changes, um, when I don't keep my inside hip forward. Gah!! And of course when we start actually working on them we won't, right? :lol: I'm so excited I can get a decent 15 m canter circle. But then again, I guess the judge will be the judge of that.

I hope you feel all the way better ASAP blob, and anyone else dealing with Covid. And I hope horses heal and everyone keeps moving forward. Pun intended.

I have a 2-day clinic coming up that I'm really looking forward to so I'll let everyone know how that goes. I audited one 2 months ago and loved the clinician. I'm ready to be taken to task. Pretty sure I'll be the lowest level rider there but he said he loves to work with lower level riders so here goes something.

And we've been trailering out more and he's got his head on straight and so do I so time to sign up for a schooling show.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:55 pm

Susan, hoping that Kyra's improvement has continued. If your vet thinks it was exercise that caused the straining?? that resulted in the hemorrhage, were they specific in terms of what type of exercise would cause that? I ask purely out of curiosity.

LSP, Lynx is so pretty and seems to be very in tuned to what you were asking him to do in that clip.

Chantal, can't wait to read about your clinic that is coming up.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:27 pm

Exvet, I don’t think she thinks exercise caused it. We just really don’t know. I know she has not been doing a lot of sitting :lol: .

I think, if it was a hemorrhoid, it was already a bit irritated…hence the bit of blood (that I couldn’t decide was blood in the mix of the other normal bodily excretions) before I rode on Friday. We just worked w/t/c…she isn’t ready for any collection yet. She worked nicely with no big spooks or other unwanted events. She didn’t get worked the day before…only a spa day with body work and a bath. I think the exercise went ahead and caused that varicose vein to pop (if that was the culprit). She had had loose-er stools since last Monday and a bit of fecal water. No changes in feed or routine. She has at times had loose-er stools usually when she is in heat but not the fecal water. As of yesterday, still a bit soft in the poop department but I didn’t see any little squirts of fecal water and no blood. I hand walked her and she was nicely marching forward. She did poop right after but all green. I am giving her a week off of riding to let whatever it is settle down. Just the weirdest thing. Here is a pic from the deposit on the barn aisle before we went to the vet. Weird that the poop came out first, relatively clean then the squirt of blood.

097163F7-97BA-4834-A746-FF7B3D2A3046.jpeg
097163F7-97BA-4834-A746-FF7B3D2A3046.jpeg (50.65 KiB) Viewed 4524 times

I probably should move this to the vet forum.

Training wise, we will do some in-hand work this week. There is a lot of stuff we can do without is stressing her pooper :lol: .

Return to “Dressage Training”