April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Lipsmackerpony88
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Jun 07, 2022 1:37 pm

Aleuronx and Chisamba, thank you for sharing the show pictures. Stunning! I'm glad it went pretty well for both of you.

Demi, I'm glad it's going so well with your new girl!! It's so exciting.

Blob, I'm sorry the clinic experience was kind of mixed. He definitely loves his theory and for that reason it is certainly not for everybody. He is great to audit with and I've heard great things from people that have rode long-term with him. But that's tough when it's a random clinic setting.

Lynx got x-rays yesterday of his feet. Nothing catastrophic on x-rays but not the right angles and definitely too much heel. I'm going with the farrier that my vet wants me to use who cost quite a bit more than we used to... $250. I remember when you could get a full set of shoes for a $100. Yikes. It's actually just a little bit more expensive than what I'm paying now and that's not going well so might as well go with whoever is going to do the job right.
He had a pretty light week as he had body work a few times. I did ride him once And he didn't feel bad but I think he will feel even better once his feet are on a better path.

Moutaineer

Re: April showers bring May flowers and June bugs. Our goals and progress thread

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:22 pm

Sounds like you may be on the right track with Lynx, LSP.

Good and interesting lesson this morning. He was flatly refusing to pick up the left lead canter for me, just bulging out his right shoulder and completely blowing me off, which of course leads me to all sorts of contortions and doubts. Am I asking correctly, is my weight in the correct seat bone, have I got him bent enough, straight enough? Is he sore? Is the moon out of phase?

Trainer gets on, puts him together, asks him for left lead canter, and he goes "but yes of course, Margo, it will be my total pleasure... Let me show you how perfect I can be, I love you."

I get back on my (now straight and put together) horse, ask as I had previously asked, and get a lovely, responsive, adjustable, canter (and then some really nice trot lateral work.) It felt amazing.

Thats the magic bullet, right there.

Sometimes I wonder if im ever going to get this.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:57 pm

Sometimes I just don't know why my students horse is not giving the correct response. I get on and they give it. It makes me feel less adequate as a teacher. Why the heck can't I tell the rider how to produce the response the horse knows how to give. It's so often in the canter transition too.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:17 pm

Chisamba wrote:Sometimes I just don't know why my students horse is not giving the correct response. I get on and they give it. It makes me feel less adequate as a teacher. Why the heck can't I tell the rider how to produce the response the horse knows how to give. It's so often in the canter transition too.

As a frequently inept student, most of the time I think I'm doing one thing, but I'm actually doing another ;)

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:42 pm

Mountaineer, I love your sense of humor. I know you were frustrated before the fabulous Margo got on and put your horse together, and I feel for you!, but your descriptions of what went on before and after cracked me up. But hey, you found the magic bullet!! And I can relate.

My trainer warmed Besa up for me the last two days, and my lessons afterward have made me feel like Im on a cloud. I think what may be going on, is that, watching her first, and seeing that the horse is “there”, allows me to STOP TRYING SO HARD! and just feel where the buttons are. Today, I was able to get her responding to the lightest aides yet. I had no idea how a truly collected trot and canter actually felt (well, I had an idea but it was some weird fantasy I’d cooked up), but when I first started to feel the real deal, things started to click. Today I recognized when I had her put together (straight and coming under) and I was able to soften the contact and allow the both the collected trot and canter to get lofty.

At the end of the ride, trainer told me to just start using the same “buttons” on Rocky. She said even though the buttons havent been installed on her yet, she will start to respond because I am asking correctly.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:08 am

heddylamar wrote: As a frequently inept student, most of the time I think I'm doing one thing, but I'm actually doing another ;)

Ain't that the truth, Heddy!

Yes, Demi. Its a great help to feel what its meant to feel like, rather than what we've assumed it ought to feel like.

Potters is being a good humored and patient boy with my fumbling around. He's keeping himself entertained with the concept that one (just the one, the others are all apparently benign) of the flower boxes around the arena is out to get him, and he gives it the hairy eyeball every single time we go past it.

demi

Postby demi » Wed Jun 08, 2022 12:57 am

So preparing for riding Rocky in the morning, Im thinking about “the buttons”. Christine says get them balanced and they’ll do what ever you ask (within reason, I guess). The buttons, or the way she has me get Besa in balance, is to first put her on the outside rein, and straighten her to the outside. Straight so I can see her outside eye and ear. Then, supple her. Supple with the inside rein and leg at the girth for her to bend around, flexing her to the inside by brining my inside elbow back, and giving, but not away! with the inside rein when she flexes. Flex her strongly if I have to, but get the response. The outside rein gives a little to accommodate the flexion, but DON’T let go of it. Always let her know that she can count on the outside rein being there. When she is supple, start the lateral work. SI,HI, renvers, legyeilds. Straightening to the outside in between lateral movements. Stay on the quarter lines so Im not unconsciously using the wall for support. At walk, then at trot. I havent done lateral stuff at canter with Besa yet. I won’t attempt it tomorrow with Rocky either.

My trainer has mirrors which I’m learning to use. I should video Rocky tomorrow. I need more energy….

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jun 09, 2022 10:04 pm

Well, I have been kind of bummed with having to go to the bit-less bridle. Only because she gets so heavy in it. She thinks it cool if I will hold her up and unfortunately, in the past, I have usually obliged :oops: . I said above, it is really hard to get her to lift her shoulders and lighten the forehand. That said, the bit currently is a big no go and it just isn’t fair to her to put her in something that is so annoying to her…for whatever reason.

So, while we are waiting for our vet visit for her leg and to recheck her mouth (we will do it one more time to see if something was missed) on Monday, I have been riding her at the walk in the bit-less bridle. We have had 3 very good sessions with her totally relaxed (mentally). I have been backing up my requests with plenty of leg and a tap of the whip or two to suggest that she carry herself and step up to the contact. I have been getting pretty nice responses. I have found that sometimes, a tap on the shoulder raises her neck then asking her to step forward into that higher connection. I have been doing lots of lateral work (if for no other reason that just walking around the arena round and round and round is boring).
One favorite little exercise I got from an instructor years ago is to half-pass a few steps then do a TOH then back into half-pass a few steps. Back in the day, we did a full circle(360) TOH, but I only asked her for 180 degree TOH because I didn’t want to stress her leg hind too much. I did that exercise both ways and it was effortless and just flowed…so cool. It really gets them into the outside rein.

I listened to a podcast from a “western” guy who felt the only bitless option was a bosal. Well, that doesn’t work too good for dressage work. So, last night I dove into Karen Rohlf’s stuff and found out she has had two horses in the last few years that just didn’t like bits. Like me, she tried many bits and described her two as “trying to swallow their tongues”. That sounds familiar. That is what Kyra has been doing all spring…the tongue is going (retracting up in her mouth) constantly. She does admit that you have to work really hard to develop the softness and correct carriage with the bit-less. It works fine for her as her horses are in her backyard. She has much more time and access to them than I do as a boarder (plus I dare say she is a better rider than I am ;) ). It is what it is. I can work on it when I can or quit riding and right now, that just isn’t attractive at all.

Anyway, we will see what the vet says on Monday and continue with the status quo until then. She did seem a little sore on that leg after our work so I definitely don’t want to do anymore than what we are doing. She is still stall bound (with turnout) due to our weekly monsoon rains. It is supposed to do it again this weekend :roll: . We need the rain but with it coming in 1 inch ‘dumps’ it makes her run out from her stall underwater. If it ever dries out, a couple of us are going to approach the owner to see about getting some fill at least in the worst pens. I will gladly pay and even put in some sweat equity to fix them.

Susan

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:51 am

Your trainer has the gift of clarity, Demi. This is a very concise description of what we are working through to get a correct connection.

Potters thinks its for the birds. "Surely I can spook my way out of this? No? Oh well, all right then!"

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:55 am

LSP, I am glad to hear that Lynx had decent xrays and I hope you are able to address his heels. Caliburn grows a very long heel and we try to balance that by moderate changes more often.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Jun 10, 2022 2:08 pm

Chisamba wrote:LSP, I am glad to hear that Lynx had decent xrays and I hope you are able to address his heels. Caliburn grows a very long heel and we try to balance that by moderate changes more often.

Thank you Chisamba. This is a new problem for me, I am used to having thoroughbreds who have no heel or are more prone to being underrun.

The vet advised that we go slowly of course in any changes but she still thought that some changes should be started immediately. One of the things is to get him out of the heavy shoe that he's in. That's definitely not helping us. Although he hasn't been tripping lately. Still you can just see he's not moving as he should.

Fingers crossed!!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jun 10, 2022 3:18 pm

I'm enjoying the updates! Demi, your descriptions remind me of how we learn these things. It's often great to start with a recipe on a specific horse and get great at it, then add variations as needed.

I don't know if this image is useful, but I often think of feeling connection and thoroughness requiring not just a feel of horse's hind leg to my hand on each side (ex. right hind to right hand), but also a cross connection (ex. left hind to right hand; right hind to left hand). When I feel all of the channels working, the back comes up and the ride is easy. And of course, we always have a weaker channel that takes more attention to keep flowing.

On that note, Emi and I are plugging away and started a little more baby trot and some baby walk lateral work for therapy purposes.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Jun 10, 2022 7:53 pm

How exciting, Demi! And on the topic of "ride like the buttons are there, and good things will happen" - got to ride someone else's horse today. She borrowed Queso to get over a roadblock she was having with the turns on the haunches, and I popped on her horse and schooled ToH for a bit as well. And he was a very good boy who eventually got over his utter shock that I closed the door on his outside hind (which he was swinging out in the ToH), which meant that yes he had to step under his body instead of pivoting vaguely around his girth area. And it's all down to riding the buttons as if they were there the whole time.

Queso and I, meanwhile, are wilting away in the summer heat. Triple-digit temperatures this week and next means we're spending lots of time in the walk... or on the ground, with a hose, bathing the summer away.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jun 11, 2022 4:32 am

Blob I got my answer about the girth and Gaila today. I found a really good deal on a Hildago Iberian leather tree saddle from a private seller. The saddle came yesterday and I tried it on Gaila today. She loved it and so did I!! Can’t wait to try it on Joplin. I think it will help me work on my position even better than the dynamic. It is so comfortable! Extremely stable on her back

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... MCr4l/?d=n

I think it will look gorgeous on Joplin:). Of course now I need to find some baroque brown bridles:). Gaila stepped into beautiful collected canter both sides. I could feel her back so well in this saddle.

I also rode Joplin in the newly worked on arena. Had some medium trot that felt so powerful! Some good canter too once I got my right seat bone correct going right. Did some work in trot of can you bend left but stay on right circle and vice versa. I’ve been working on the clarity of my aids in all my work on Joplin who is so sensitive

Looking forward to the Cedar clinic next weekend. She is doing a lecture and demo on piaffe. Will be interesting to see the videos she’s going to use in her lecture

Congrats on the accomplishments chisamba aleuronx and jingles for those who need them blob with mm especially

Stay cool all and happy riding!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:18 am

92 degrees this afternoon riding with Mette... I'm mostly dead.

Potters was a superstar. I'm so very fortunate to have this equine teacher and partner.

Better report to follow once I've recovered a bit and watched the video.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:01 am

Glad to hear you had a good clinic with Mette, Mtneer. Looking forward to the report.

Glad to hear Emi is coming back! Piedmont.

Ponichiwa, I feel your pain with the heat. We’ve had 100+ for the last several days and Im dragging. The horses are acclimating well, though. The first week or so of 90+ and the sun beating down, they were sweating and in the mornings I would have to hose the dried salt off. Now they are only sweating a little, even the the temps are in the 100’’s.

Im starting week 3 of 5 lessons a week on Besa. I am warming her up myself now, not needing the trainer to do it for me. We are still in the getting to know each other phase but she’s starting to feel familiar. My hips are adjusting and I can mount and dismount fairly easily (using the mounting block, of course). We are starting to do shorter, easier sessions now because of the heat. Lot’s of walking and lateral work. The lateral work was actually the most difficult for my hips, but now that my tendons have stretched out a bit, I can handle it. Plus, we are getting more in sync so I don’t have to work as hard.

I am riding Rocky 3 times a week. I ride her at 7 am and it’s cooler then, but I am still doing shorter sessions with a lot of walk and lateral work, just like Im doing on Besa. Rocky is a champ. She is responding well to the changes Im making in my riding due to all the lessons on Besa.

I am scheduled for a clinic with Tara Stegen the 23rd and 24th on Besa, but I am wondering if Im really ready for it. I watched Tara teach my trainer and her assistant at a recent horse show in Houston, and I really like her, but Im still so new on Besa…it was my trainer’s idea for me to ride with her, so I guess she thinks Im ready. Still, in the back of my mind, I am considering taking Rocky instead.

Happy riding everyone!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:21 am

We're hitting the road Wednesday for mom's farm in TN, then on to TX on Sunday. Poor Maia is going to melt. Fortunately, it's all interstate, so she'll have some AC by way of wind. I've already started her on electrolytes and probiotics. I may shave her (non-existent coat) during our 3-day stopover in TN. It's been an unusually slow start to hot weather here, and she hasn't had time to adjust to 3-digit temps.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:53 am

Ugh, Mountaineer…we got hit by another ‘atmospheric river’. Another day with nearly an inch of rain and 60 degrees. What?? That is the third nearly inch-er storm we have had over a weekend…3 weekends in a row! Just crazy. Not to mention it is mid-June.

Anyway, all of you stay safe in the heat. I rode a couple days when the temps were high 70’s to low 80’s and I was melting. The current barn is in a valley with high hills on either side so it makes a nice hot little bowl to ride in. When we finally get to summer temps (and we will), I will have to ride early for sure.

Heddy…have safe trip.

Khall, that looks like a neat saddle…and comfy.

I got a good ride in yesterday. Even did a really short lunge at trot and canter and a bit of trot under saddle and I didn’t see/feel any off-ness. Working her SI —> renver worked really well to improve her self carriage a bit. We also did squares with 1/4 TOH at each corner. We head to the vet tomorrow and can hopefully get an idea what is going on in that leg. The goose-egg has cooled off over the week but is still just as big.

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:23 am

Mountaineer can't wait to hear some more details from the clinic but good on you for doing it.

demi: peer pressure to just do the clinic. It will be worth it to learn something new about Besa and yours partnership and if your trainer is suggesting then go do it!

I've just been picking away and apart at the low lights pieces from our last test, lateral flexibility in the canter and the walk-trot-canter quick succession transition. This weekend was an exercise in riding during adversity as they had a guy bleaching and power washing the outside of the entire indoor and stables. The noises, the spray, the ladders, it was horsey hell for the last 3 days.

Managed to politely beg the show secretary to fill me in a scratch in the afternoon for Saturday's ride as my original ride time of 5:20pm would have us home around 9pm. Yikes. I'll manage with 4pm on Friday. Fingers crossed we knock out our other Qualifier score and improve on the test itself!

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:52 am

heddylamar wrote:We're hitting the road Wednesday for mom's farm in TN, then on to TX on Sunday. Poor Maia is going to melt. Fortunately, it's all interstate, so she'll have some AC by way of wind. I've already started her on electrolytes and probiotics. I may shave her (non-existent coat) during our 3-day stopover in TN. It's been an unusually slow start to hot weather here, and she hasn't had time to adjust to 3-digit temps.

Pro tip: throw a bag of ice in the shavings on the floor of the trailer about once every 5h or so, especially in the afternoons. Acts as natural AC. Downside: soaks the shavings, but when temperatures are in the triple-digits it's worth it.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:33 pm

Heddy, another Texan tip: I use a battery operated fan and it works amazingly well. I bungee it to divider and it blows over the horse’s back. Even with the drop down windows all open, if I dont have the fan, the horse gets very sweaty, even on the toll road at 70 mph. With the fan, she is always dry. The battery lasts a long time, and you could even have a couple battery packs if necessary.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-ONE-1 ... lsrc=aw.ds

Good luck on your trip.

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 12:36 pm

Aleuronx, thanks for the peer pressure! I think you’re right, and I will bite the bullet and ride Besa.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:06 pm

Sounds like progress is being made by most everyone despite the blaze of summer. I've been getting up at 4 am in order to ride due to this 'lovely' heat. I think I'm getting really close to having Junior's canter balanced and the 'same' on both reins. We've been doing all sorts of canter exercises and counter-canter exercises to the point that we've almost forgotten how to trot.......but then that's the fun part.......with the heat comes more in hand training and we're going back to spanish walk and piaffe. I played a bit with both this past week and he's a typical Welsh Cob, has not forgotten a thing. Trying to get a lesson with Molly Martin so that she can weigh in on where we're at, but she's been in CA showing.

Brandon is also coming along pretty well. I'm having his saddle re-flocked. Hoping to have it back before the show on Saturday. Of course, my neighbors just got back from a qualifier for the million-dollar reining challenge. Yup, a few of their horses are coughing up a storm and Ace and Brandon were both coughing this morning. If I have to scratch this Saturday due to respiratory illness I'm going to be PISSED.

On a side note, but just as horse training related. I'm not sure what y'all are doing but I've been picking up extra shifts right and left in order to funnel money into my equine fund. Between diesel prices, hay prices and the rest of inflation I fear that I'm going to need to build up some extra padding for what may come. I'm grateful that I'm down to 4, and only 3 I'm having to support. My farrier was here a few weeks ago and he was still only charging me $85 for a full shoe. I told him that I do expect him to charge me more next time because I definitely want him to keep coming on schedule and can't imagine how he's doing it without raising prices. He's smarter than me though because he's still driving a diesel that was made in 2012.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jun 13, 2022 1:48 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:
heddylamar wrote:We're hitting the road Wednesday for mom's farm in TN, then on to TX on Sunday. Poor Maia is going to melt. Fortunately, it's all interstate, so she'll have some AC by way of wind. I've already started her on electrolytes and probiotics. I may shave her (non-existent coat) during our 3-day stopover in TN. It's been an unusually slow start to hot weather here, and she hasn't had time to adjust to 3-digit temps.

Pro tip: throw a bag of ice in the shavings on the floor of the trailer about once every 5h or so, especially in the afternoons. Acts as natural AC. Downside: soaks the shavings, but when temperatures are in the triple-digits it's worth it.

I never thought of using a swamp cooler on the horse! Love that idea! I normally sponge bathe everything I can reach with ice water on our stops.

I’m not too concerned about the hotter (temp) half of the trek from Memphis to Texas since we’ll be back in my Hawk trailer with a opening window/vent or two on every surface. It’s a wind tunnel on the interstate. But the first half of the trip through Virginia and Tennessee is in mom’s older Gore that only has two vents and 4 smaller rear windows in the horse compartment. My girlie is normally parked in front of 2-3 fans by all summer.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:31 pm

Demi, I say do the clinic! I understand your hesitation but if your trainer is suggesting it, I think it will be good for you guys.

Exvet, I really hope your horses don't get any illnesses!! That would be so frustrating.

I hear you on rising prices. I'm paying $250 for a full set of shoes now which is hard to swallow. I'm wondering if board will go up again, it just went up last month. Such a painful time right now and definitely anxious about what could come.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:50 pm

Yeah, the price of everything, ugh. Like Susan said, we got a huge dump of rain. Our outdoor is submerged. Someone pointed out that first cutting is already on the ground in many fields, and will be ruined, which won't help with the soaring hay prices. I'm lucky that a couple things are aligning to improve my cash flow a little, but I am honestly starting to think seriously about selling Annabelle because keeping two going plus the retiree is a strain and limits my options. I would hate to do it, but also feel the work is getting pretty hard for her and I don't know how much more it is fair to expect. I've thought about leasing, but honestly, I don't like how most people ride, so it would drive me nuts watching someone else ride a horse I own (at least people in the stratum that would want to lease her).

I got home from an exhausting (but good) work trip on Saturday and only had energy to ride A before the spigot turned on. Yesterday there was no one to compete with for the little indoor, so I got them both ridden. I think the week off was good for me in that I had some time to sit back and think about my riding, and something clicked that is helping me ratchet up the straightness a little more. I was prepared for arguments from Tesla in her first day back from a week off, but she was perfect, and even cantered both directions in the little indoor. She gave me probably the best SI I've ever ridden, and is really improving in the contact. Just for fun I decided to try LY out of the corner to X, then changing the bend and riding a 10m circle to change directions. She took right to it. She's also starting to get the hang of travers, though I think she is tight around her lumbars and needs more work to loosen up and swing through.

Today they both have chiro appointments with a vet, which will be interesting as they haven't had bodywork since October. Wednesday we're hauling across town for lessons again, and then my regular instructor will be here for two days next week. I can't wait for her to see the improvement in Tesla.
Keep calm and canter on.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:52 pm

Safe travels to you and Maia, Heddy!

The ice on shavings trick is widely used here in the mid-south, too.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:55 pm

So glad you found a solution that works, Khall! Brown tack is so beautiful!

Demi--will also jump on the train encouraging the clinic! I think riding in a clinic that your instructor is also riding in/watching is ESPECIALLY valuable because it's likely a philosophy your trainer follows and she can help you maintain/build on your learnings.

Good luck, Heddy! Hope the travel goes smoothly.

LSP-- hope you got some farrier answers.

After a cooler/longer spring than normal, GA summer is here for good it seems. Humidity and heat are way up. The adjustment into the heat is always the hardest, so hoping it settles.

I'm debating signing up for a show the end of this month. It would be my first of the year with RP--a much slower start than ideal but with moving barns, MM not being well, etc things just got pushed. My trailer STILL isn't here so I need to figure out if I can get a ride to the show before signing up. RP and I are qualified for regionals already at first level, but we've only ridden 1-3 twice at a show and we definitely need practice!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Jun 13, 2022 3:20 pm

Well this isn't the greatest response but I'm hoping the next promotion that my boss put me in last week either comes through or I just get a pay bump. The cost of fuel is troubling but I'm pretty well insulated working from home. I'd already decided that I was going to out 'all out' and compete this year with Kora. I had already planned to ease expenses by just trucking in/out instead of doing stay away weekends.

But I do want to get her out at the Regionals venue in August so I can feel confident of competing her there ahead of champs. So... that's going to be an expensive weekend. I'm considering it a 'vacation'.

Overall the costs are going up and while worrisome we're okay for now. I mostly worry about the boarding facility that I'm at calling it quits. That would be devastating to try and find similar facility and would result in more travel. I realize I'm very spoiled in New England to have the farm ~18 minutes from home.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 13, 2022 8:58 pm

After a broiling hot weekend, it is cold and wet here today. Potters gets the day off and I get to try and catch up with some work (which of course is why I'm here posting.)

So, the clinic was very positive. I've got lots of homework!

We worked a lot on connection and straightness. I've been tending to overuse my inside rein as a safety measure, but we need to get over that. My left hand is the more over-active one, and it's pretty obvious that's why we have been having some left-lead canter issues, as I'm giving him a means to pop out his right shoulder and avoid the issue. However, if I get him equally connected on both reins (as Mette says " a child in each hand",) and straight under my seat, I have control. He's a bit "wait, what!?" about it, but settles into it if I give him the chance.

I have developed a bad habit of nipping at him with my hands rather than pushing him forward from behind and being more subtle and "smooshy" with my fingers, so she worked on making sure my hands stayed together and in front of the saddle (mostly worked on this on day two because it was a good exercise when it was too damned hot to really push him, or me!) That's going to take me some self discipline to resolve permanently as I think it's developed into a way of keeping his attention on me rather than whatever else is going on, but obviously it rattles the nice elastic connection we should be enjoying and which would keep his attention on me anyway--doh.

She shortened my stirrups a hole which was helpful at the time, but my back is going to take a couple of weeks to get used to the concept. I've been drawing up my lower leg to use it and with the shorter stirrup I can keep my whole leg on more effectively.

And then, we worked on flying changes. These are still a bit of mental challenge for me. I think it's a control freak issue on my part. You've got to let go and ride forward to get a decent flying change, and that's been a bit out of my comfort zone. But Mette will inexorably push me through it and make things happen!

I felt like we covered a lot of ground and made a lot of good things happen. It was a really good confidence building experience as well--our first solo away trip, Potters behaved beautifully, even in a strange indoor arena.

(And he self-loads, which is worth a million dollars in my book.)

Looking at the videos, I felt at first like I rode better on day 1, but then, thinking about it, I realized that on day 2, I was attempting to implement a lot of changes in my position and habits, and so no, it wasn't always pretty. It was also FREAKING HOT.

Anyway, here's a little video snippet from the end of day 1. If I find anything else fun, informative and not overly embarrassing as I'm obsessively watching my rides, I'll put it up later.

https://youtu.be/rCHXzv-0eig

demi

Postby demi » Mon Jun 13, 2022 9:23 pm

Thanks for the good clinic notes Mtneer. And really nice work in the video! I am happy to see you and Potters working so well together. You inspire me!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 13, 2022 10:46 pm

I had to raise my board, feed and shavings are already up and it costs double to fill up the truck.

Using my tractor and mower is ridiculous and there grass is growing like weeds lol.

My laminitis risk mares are on my " dry lot" which is growing enough grass to be risky. I'm already on this year's hay which is just beautiful. I mean it's better than last year's second cut and I got it at the same price because we picked it up in the field and saved them the cost of loading and unloading. It did my back and hip the death of me. Lmao.

I'm saving money by. Not doing any rated shows this year. Fortunately I have schooling shows with the same quality judges to use.

I'm. Still not fluent on my straight line changes and I guess I'll throw my towel back in the official ring when I'm truly FEI.

Somehow people seem to be buying and riding and showing Uber expensive horses so I guess there is still big money out there :shock: :shock:

I get my hip shot on the 22nd.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:06 pm

Remembering what happened last time the stock market tanked, I could see some "spend it now before it just dwindles to nothing anyway." And the rich folks pulling their money out of the markets have to do something with it, and you can only build so many houses.

Trying to book a trip to see the family later in the year. We won't be going business class this year, having just looked at the pricing. Holy Cow!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jun 13, 2022 11:35 pm

Phew, just read this whole topic and I've missed a lot, yay everyone!! I love reading the clinic reports and seeing how everyone is doing. You all are inspiring.

I've been so busy with life that I've been absent/too tired to participate. So much going on in my world, including lots of riding. Mikey is going well and maturing. He's 8 now and we are behind those of you with the same age horses but working hard. We've made some changes and I think they are paying off. A new instructor, new bridle, lots of instruction, some auditing, and a 2-day clinic coming up. I'm not intimidated by his antics at this point and am working to transfer that to being off property. I have another lesson at my instructor's place this week and hope to do better than last time, though she was very pleased with him last time. I was less pleased because I know how he was last year and that we had conquered a lot of those issues. We wound up being okay but I would like to start off better.

My goal is first level this year. Come on gumption and time!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jun 14, 2022 2:27 am

Mountaineer, Potters looks mahvelous. Everyone sounds geared up and ready to hit it.

Well, as I suspected…but still wanted to get an official declaration…her mouth has no tooth or other issues and her leg is just bruising and soft tissue swelling. We did x-ray and the splint bone is just fine and no other bone issues. Today it was cold and not sensitive at all. He told me to get her to quit kicking :lol: . Sure, I will work on that :roll: .

I guess she is telling me she just doesn’t like bits and is tired of me ignoring her on that front. There is just too many out there to try them all. My CC won’t take it. So we will play around with a couple bit-less set ups and see what happens. One of the ladies that boards at the barn is a trail rider and and when she gets back in town, we will start heading up the hill with her. Maybe she will find a new vocation instead of arena flower.

As far as how expensive everything is, my roof sprung a leak during yesterday’s dump. Bummer. I was hoping to squeeze out another year at least. I have several business lined up for estimates so we will see what damage that will be :?: .

Ride on everyone :D .

Susan

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:38 am

Nice video Mountaineer! You guys are looking great together, it's been great reading and seeing your progress with him. Same with Besa, Demi! It's exciting you have a new horse.
I enjoy all the updates and clinic reports too. Photos are great as well - Aleuronx and Chisamba, nice show pics!

I don't update much here anymore, but I did go to a clinic recently with Tiago Alves, from Portugal who does working equitation and straight dressage. We don't have many higher level working equitation riders/coaches in Australia so when I heard he was coming out, I jumped at the chance.
My little black horse who I usually do WEQ on, has been lame. It's dragging on now, so I feel he's done something to a tendon. He's booked into the vets next week. So I had to take my big horse and he helped me a lot with his flying changes.
I've really only played around with sequence changes with Norsey, and because I don't compete with him much, I just faff around with his training depending on what I feel like. So, he had has working on sequence changes and it was hard! I wasn't quite ready.
On the second day, he put up the single slalom (essentially 5 bending poles) where you do 4x changes as you bend in and out of the row of poles. Well I made a dog's breakfast out of it. Our changes were all over the place and then Norsey would get the shits and charge off with his head in the air (can't blame him ;) ) Tiago got on, and in less than 10mins was doing it one handed. I was like :o I tried afterwards, but still messed it up, but once you see that it can be done, it's really motivating.

Norsey also can tend to not jump through cleanly behind, especially L to R and do a bunny hop up with his croup and it really can catapult the rider forward. Tiago had him moving quite sideways so the change was a jump sideways/forwards, so that hindleg came through. At first, it wasn't that tidy, but wow it was so effective. Then he could tone it all down as Norsey understood the change better.
I found it all really helpful even though I struggled a lot with the coordination. I feel a bit embarrassed at what a numpty I can be, often I have to go away and practice what I've learned by myself.
I've clipped out a bit of my lesson with the flying changes, for anyone interested send me a PM. I don't want to openly put it on here because it's a snippet that can be taken out of context, plus when I watch it, it's embarrassing how unco I am!! But some stuff could be helpful to others.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jun 14, 2022 7:21 pm

Flight I would love the opportunity to learn from your efforts. I feel so inept at changes lately.

My two mares blessed me with super rides today. Frankly I'm riding in agony so I tend to do much less and wait more. So the silver lining is the lesson learned. Less really is more. Lol.

I am full on recommending you just go for it. Ride the clinic, try first level, get the saddle, ( lovely saddle Khall) because opportunity is fabulous and regret is not.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:39 pm

I'm thoroughly irritated trying to use Equestrian Entries to enter a show at the start of July. It's one of those 2 shows/2 days deals. Only the second day is up. But it's complaining that I haven't booked stabling which is apparently attached to the first day that isn't up yet... and various other nonsenses.

It was much easier when we used a pen to fill out a form, wrote a check, and put a stamp on an envelope!

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:53 pm

Flight, I wasn’t familiar with Tiago Alves so I googled him. I watched him do a one handed dressage test. OMG! Wow. Beautiful!! What a fabulous rider/trainer. I PM’d you for the clip of your work on FC’s but Im not sure it went through. I always like your work and even tho I’m nowhere near fc’s myself, I still can train my eye by watching. As good as Tiago is, he probably couldn’t have gotten amazing one handed sequential changes from Norsey without the good foundation you’ve built on him. I’m glad you found it motivating!

I am being very humbled and yet still very motivated with my lessons on Besa. I go home after each lesson and think hard about what we did, then I watch a few vids of my trainer riding Besa, and try it agian the next morning on Rocky. Then I go right to my lesson thinking “NOW I have it!!”. But no. Close but no cigar. My brilliant trainer still makes sure I get enough good feelings that it leaves me wanting more.

As far as the economy, we are feeling it, too. Purchasing a new horse, and then the added monthly board/training fee, plus driving a total of 40 miles 6 times a week (gas!!)is a big expenditure for us. We aren’t spending beyond our means, but this unsure economy makes me wonder. We feed 3 horses at home and don’t grow our own hay. Fortunately we have some acreage and lot’s of grazing. Of course, we are going into drought conditions now and the grass is getting sparse. Oh, and my horses at home are barefoot, but Besa is shod all around @ $200 every 5 weeks. My barefoot trims went up to $55 each. Im not complaining. Both farriers I now use are excellant and deserve every penny.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:57 pm

Chisamba, I'm so looking forward for you to have your hip replaced and for you to be out of pain! Keith had both his done some years ago and it was a life changing experience for him.

And yes, you are absolutely right. This ain't a rehearsal, folks. Do all the things.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:36 pm

Flight, sorry to hear Ding is lame, but sounds like an inspiring clinic with Norsey!

The chiro came out on Monday and gave them both a few adjustments, but overall she said they were in pretty good shape. She was enthusiastic about my having SureFoot pads and a laser as well as using Masterson Method and said that would stretch out the time before they might need to see her again. Last night they both felt really good, so I think the adjustments she did do freed up their ribs and lumbars a bit. I had pretty good rides on both girls at our haul-in lessons this morning. I think Annabelle kind of tired herself out before the lesson tearing around on the lunge line. I'd attempted an exorcism last night but the new place brought new demons. At least she wasn't pinging off once we got to riding. We did some more transitions in SI and added some in HI. Tesla gave me good canters both directions. The arena there is kind of a big square, at least 40m each direction, so it was helpful to T to really go on a large circle. We got some pointers and affirmation of being on the right track with starting travers. She also didn't lose her crap when the garbage truck came and emptied the big dumpsters near the arena (I got off just in case). Plenty of drama to go around between the two, but overall better than last time.

My regular instructor will be here end of next week, so I'll get to ride with her for two days as well.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:05 am

I had a pleasant ride on Kyra yesterday. I did put her back in her PeeWee bit despite my saying I wouldn’t. The PeeWee is so much thinner than most dressage bits. She chomps on it a bit but doesn’t totally gag on it sending foam everywhere and trying to spit it out. By exam, there was no damage or lesions in her mouth so I thought I would try the PeeWee again. That was THE bit back in her younger years when I was on the great bit search.

Once we got to trot and canter I started fiddling around with alignment. I tried a bit of counter bending on the circle. Just a nostril and eyelid of CB for 3-4 strides then allow straight. I think I hit on part of our ‘bit’ problem….straightness. She did quiet her mouth and she remained relaxed. Canter was nice and bounding with a decent tempo. It has been so long since I have ridden consistently and with some kind of purpose. And our weather this year hasn’t helped. I need some lessons. My BO gives lessons…mostly western but she is kind of a jack of all trades and does some dressage. I may try a couple for just for the eyes on the ground. I can’t get too carried away with the $$$ right now.

My roof started leaking last weekend during the monsoon and I have to get a new roof :shock: . I was hoping to eek it out until next year but that isn’t going to happen :(. If I am going to spend that much money I would rather buy a horse :lol: . I guess I don’t need to board or feed the roof.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jun 16, 2022 10:29 am

My friend has a horse who used to wry his mouth. ( top jaw left bottom jaw right) during dressage. He would also gag on his tongue unless ridden in a drop nose band. Well he got a major bowed tendon and was on walk only for a year. Then hack only. Etc. So he came back riding sound and she brought him for a lesson on herself. Despite not being asked to be in contact and basically being ridden on a slack rein for over a year, he was wry mouth at any moment he was moving and only relaxed his jaw when standing still. So I got on him. Took off the nose band which he immediately opened his mouth dramatically and put his tongue over the but, rolled it slung it around etc. He just travels skew. He us ever straight. His shoulder is one way and his rib cage the other. I ignored his mouth and straightened him I straightened him and poof, the mouth went away.

Which I find really interesting in light of Susan's last post.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:39 pm

Took another lesson with Molly Martin. Thankfully 'her' barn is only 4.5 miles from my house. I was hoping that with the exercises she gave me to work on (which we did) that she would see the improvement I thought I was feeling in terms of lateral suppleness on Junior. It's been 3 weeks since I last rode with her. Luckily, she did see improvement, but I still have a way to go to not have two different canters - right rein is not too shabby and is easier to get him to bend (though easy is definitely relative on a fireplug) and on the left rein it's harder for him to bend and he still is trying to step base wide behind when I do ask him to bend (yield to my left leg). So today she basically told me that I'm not to ever ride Junior straight...... :o well at least for now and that's not to say that I'm to allow him to be crooked and dictate how he chooses to use himself but that I must ride straight lines and corners with (for now) exaggerated bend until it becomes easy for him and he's staying soft to the inside rein and inside leg at the girth through all three gaits. Sounds simple right?.....uh yeah. We started at the walk and then quickly went to trot where I insisted on true bend in the direction of go, not a shoulder in or a haunches out which he want to do but a true bend in the rib cage. Once he gave it to me I would leg yield him to the other side and do the same on the other rein. After he 'got the picture' at the trot we then transitioned to canter, then counter canter repeating the same exercise. There were glimmers of hope. We also worked on getting him to be more prompt in the transition from trot to canter and walk to canter, a burst of energy like he was going to jump a cavalletti. This was a bit easier for him to understand even though he's not the most 'explosive' horse I've ridden. Now we'll be working on this until next Thursday and see where it takes us. Of course the goal is to make him a flying change machine without ever doing a skip a change again. He did try to throw a couple of skip a changes but it's clear that 'those' occur in only one direction (left to right) and going to the other direction we have a true flying change (right to left) most of the time. Unfortunately Junior has become so good at the skip a change in relation to my flying change cue that I'm going to have to teach him a new cue for a correct flying change, at least in that direction. I have always said you can never unlearn a welsh cob and Molly gets it. She actually had me discipline him for the skip a change (everyone else has always told me not to discipline him but just accept the 'try') because he's really resisting bending the rib cage as opposed to attempting a flying change............hoping this old dog can learn new tricks and teach myself a new way to ask for flying changes. We'll see.

Tomorrow will be Brandon's maiden voyage to Westworld the show venue for this weekend. It will be the first time he's set foot on the property, the first time he'll be in a true indoor arena, and our first time ever riding training 2. I know most think such preparation should be done weeks and months before a show but hey, what could go wrong? LOL........

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:04 pm

exvet-- I'm on a very similar regime with Queso w.r.t. "you never get to go straight" - and good news, it's working, but bad news: my brain is melting. Cranking up the expectations is hard work!

Weather report: misery. 3 solid weeks of 98 - 104F temperatures, and as a result everything is wilting: my lilies, Queso, my resolve to actually ride to train/improve vs. just putter around. We're taking precautions-- riding in the very late evenings, drinking lots of water, horses in during the day and out at night-- but the cumulative effects of this much heat are wearying.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jun 16, 2022 7:54 pm

Chisamba wrote:My friend has a horse who used to wry his mouth. ( top jaw left bottom jaw right)….He just travels skew. He us ever straight. His shoulder is one way and his rib cage the other. I ignored his mouth and straightened him I straightened him and poof, the mouth went away.

You know, I had this revelation before…a couple years ago. I don’t know why it was forgotten. It is a pretty important concept. I guess I was pretty surprised at the amount of tension she was holding this spring when we started back to work and was trying to make sure she wasn’t going to jump out from under me. I have no noseband on the bridle with the PeeWee. It is a funky little bit and I don’t think it would work very good with a drop and a regular cavesson isn’t good because of the fleshiness of her inner cheeks.

https://www.horsebitemporium.com/products/pee-wee-bit

But yes, if I get her truly straight, the mouth is much quieter. Go figure.

Susan

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:09 am

Wow, I'm enjoying all the updates.

Demi, I am loving all the updates on your new journey.

Chisamba, I too am going to forgo any rated shows. Gas alone is rediculous.

Exvet, I'm glad that the other instructor is giving you new and helpful tips on Junior. I think it'll be pretty exciting to see where you guys are in 6 months.

Flight, jingles for Ding. I hope it's nothing serious. Thanks for sharing about your clinic!!

Mountaineer, dang you guys look good. You have such a beautiful position And it looks like you guys are really growing a good partnership.

Lynx had a new farrier work on him. It seems a lot better so far but fingers crossed. We are actually doing a clinic with a well-known Eventer, Jen Holling. Fingers crossed that it goes good.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:53 am

First ride back after the weekend today thanks to that darned work thing. Typical post-clinicitis ride, trying too hard and failing miserably.

Tomorrow is another day!

Didn't help that it was 93 degrees and howling with wind. Potters view was "forward? In this? I don't think so!"

The weather isn't going to be any better tomorrow, but my riding might be. Oy Vey...

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:02 pm

Yes, today was much better. After him completely blowing off my leg for 10 minutes, my trainer passed me a whip. Didn't have to use it, but carrying it sure got his attention. Little stinker.

Once we'd established that, I could get a nice connection, a soft back, clear lateral work and clean, prompt FCs in both directions.

Why we have gone from "every slight movement of your seat means I do a flying change" to "flying change? What's a flying change?" I do not know. Horses...

I'm sitting here looking at hotel rooms for my show next month. OMG. Prices are ridiculous. This is certainly going to be a one away show year!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:43 pm

Had our second lesson at my instructors. Went so much better than last time but wow do the videos show all the stuff I need to work on. But behaviorally and confidence-wise we both did great. That was a huge goal. I'm very pleased. Blurry favorite image from phone video attached.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-06-17 7.12.07 PM.png
Lesson at By Chance
Screenshot 2022-06-17 7.12.07 PM.png (249.1 KiB) Viewed 5217 times

Return to “Dressage Training”