Foam on one side of mouth

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Foam on one side of mouth

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun May 15, 2022 4:00 am

Since I started riding this spring, Kyra has been pretty fussy with the bit(s) and she is foaming quite a bit on just the left side. Right side has some light lipstick…which is what is typical for her. Her teeth were done in late March and that seemed to help a bit but not much. She wasn’t doing this last fall before our winter vacay.

Tonight, she worked fairly well despite the fussiness. She was “happiest” when I shortened my reins and had a good contact/connection. She seems relatively straight for where we are in training (both of us coming back from several years of relatively little riding) and she does lateral work pretty evenly both directions. I just don’t know. We did however have reasonable canter tonight (this spring so far, it had gone to hell in a hand basket). I would like some more relaxation but what she gave me was rideable, half-haltable and decent tempo.

Any ideas why her salivation is so one-sided?

Susan

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Foam on one side of mouth

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 15, 2022 4:36 am

Could it have to do with her salivary glands? I haven't noticed a connection to foam, but Tesla always tends to blink when I brush my hand over her throatlatch area on the left. She seems to appreciate a little light massaging around there, then I play around with wobbling her nose/jaw both directions and mobilizing her tongue. Overall she seems less flinchy in that area since I've started doing this. Her glands aren't prominent or appearing to interfere with her jaw at all, but on the inside, who knows. It either has to be that more is generated on one side, or something is channeling the production of slobber towards the left side.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Flight » Sun May 15, 2022 7:31 am

Is your left connection stronger than your right? I get this too with one of mine, and when I was trying to figure out why I realised that I have a stronger hold with my left rein and he is stiffer that side.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon May 16, 2022 5:23 am

Well, today no extra foam, just nice EVEN lipstick :? . SF, I did do some massage under her jaw before we went out today...she seemed to really like that. I didn't really feel much difference between the sides but certainly simple enough to do before riding. Flight, I think I tend to be stronger on the right rein but I am not sure. I haven't had a lesson in soooo long and no way to video so I am just not sure. I did change her back to the Fager titanium bit today (with no noseband). She was much quieter in the mouth from what she had been. I had tried her Glory mullen mouth and that didn't go too well. Way back when, she did work pretty well in it but it is thicker that she would like. I have ridden her in the NS Turtle Tactio. I have a softer connection but she definitely gets fussy in it and she does get some rubs/bruising on her fat inner cheeks. With the Fager (Baucher mullen mouth with some tongue relief) she does get fussy when I take up the contact after she has a break but once she gets going, she seems to find a happier place. It may just take some more work in that bit. I need to dig out my drop noseband. I don't think this bit will work with the PS of Sweden bridle I have (although I haven't tried it) and she doesn't like a standard cavesson or crank as it pushes those fleshy inner cheeks in toward her teeth.

One can certainly do lots of experimentation. Just trying to get the horse as comfortable as possible.

Return to “Dressage Training”