The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:52 pm

Chisamba, what a great pics with the matching shirts, ribbon and happy horse and people!

Blob, glad you finally got your trailer. I'm sure MM will really appreciate the front unload option! It's also great to hear that she is feeling so much better, and you got some good advice from your trainer for RP.

Ponichiwa, the only good thing about August is when it's over, IMO. Bleah, it's counted in soaked breeches and sports bras.

I took in a lot of tips from the clinic and have had some nice rides the last couple days. Expecting more stepping up to the bridle and going into lateral work earlier in the walk warmup, but also being more "spongy" with my hands and overall more precise with legs, contact and corners. This morning Tesla went almost to the ground with her stretchy warmup trot and stayed pretty stretchy right into the canter. Something does seem to be blocking her left bend, which is usually her hollow side, so it might be time to schedule the chiro again.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:33 pm

Lovely picture Chisamba!

Yay on the trailer, Blob!

I've just got out of my second shower of the day after my ride at lunchtime. That was a hot and sweaty experience.
And driving 45 minutes home from the barn through endless bloody road construction in clingy wet clothes is just a joy.

SF, sounds like a good clinic.

Potters has been a champ recently. Our "meeting of the minds" ride the other week was obviously long overdue and has moved us both up a notch in confidence in each other and self-awareness. Back to one of Mette's things... Decide what you want to do, ask clearly, expect a prompt response.

Not much to report other than that. Just chipping away happily.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:42 am

I've always just used snaffle bits but in recent years I have had two horses that no matter what type of snaffle I try they do not really seem to " like" it. Would it be tongue relief, would it be the supposed nutcracker effect, whatever it is, both of them are very happy in a not dressage legal bit. It's a little frustrating

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:28 pm

Straightforward, wow Tesla looks great!
PeidmontFields, I understand the crossroads you're at with Emi. I hope she continues to do well though.
Blob, congratulations on the trailer and MM going well!! And how nice that you were able to get a lesson to help you right now with RP.
Kyra's mom, it sounds like Kyra is doing pretty well!

I had a lesson yesterday for the first time in August or really in 3 weeks! Between vacation and COVID and bad weather it has not been easy. But we had a really wonderful ride. We worked on our legs yields, (I'm getting so much better about keeping him straight through those) and the snow man exercise at all gaits. He can be a little resistant going to the right as far as a good bend. Either he wants to just travel crooked or over bend and throw the outside shoulder out. So this was supposed to help address that and I think it did. He did throw his head a bit in the canter transition going to the right as well. But that was after we had done it to the left so my trainer thinks it was partly anticipation and partly frustration. He still remembers when a few months ago I wasn't quite going with him in the transition because I was wanting perfection... Either way I'm really trying to work on my position and making sure I'm not blocking him. Once we are in it it was a wonderful canter.

The chiropractor comes on Thursday. It's a new one I haven't used and they are also fully a vet practice without being traditional though. They have x-ray machines, ultrasound, scopes as well as different treatment options such a IRAP, Shockwave, mesotherapy . So my thoughts to at least get one full body assessment and if there is anything that they think needs to be addressed their fully capable of doing it. I still just always get the feeling that there's just something that is bothering him whether that's still the stifle or something else. I will say that I think the magnesium and extra vitamin E is helping. He seems like he is less spooky and his muscles just seem more relaxed.

I also got a new bridle for my birthday and I'm hoping it will be more comfortable for him as I'm using just an old school bridle with no bells and whistles. I got a Passier Blu Spirit I think is what it's called and it's not the most fancy one but has a nice crown on it and padded noseband. I'm trying it out today! Fingers crossed.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Aug 10, 2022 2:33 pm

I thought I'd add a current photo although and it's not the best one. Overall I think he's looking good but he still has a bit of a dip by his SI area. This is definitely partly conformational which will never change but I don't believe all of it is. We will see what the chiropractor says and keep working on it.

Chisamba, I feel your frustration on bits. Lynx hasn't felt completely happy in any bit since last fall but It's hard to evaluate with his youngness and of course I'm not a trainer. I tend to always think that any fussiness is coming from him not really being through in the hind end but I do know that some horses just prefer something different! I have a few more things to try but I'm going to start with the new bridle first.
Attachments
PXL_20220807_025917901_copy_605x675.jpg
PXL_20220807_025917901_copy_605x675.jpg (122.92 KiB) Viewed 33859 times

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:13 pm

This afternoon has been way more exciting than it needed to be... sitting here quietly at my desk when my trainer calls. "We have a wildfire up behind the barn! We can see flames!"

Deja Vu...

So I hitch my trailer in record time and head out to help evacuate. Fortunately I'm less than halfway there when she calls back and tells me that things are under control. they'll be on fire watch tonight and it was really too close for comfort, but for now we are safe. Though I'm leaving the trailer hitched just in case.

I did, however, discover that the AC in my truck has packed in. It was working a couple of days ago. Baah... It was about 100 degrees out there.

Make sure those horses will load, folks.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:23 pm

Chisamba…regarding bits…raises hand. Man has it been an expensive battle to find something acceptable to Kyra. Currently she is in a PeeWee bit. Very not legal. Oh well. I do have a legal one I can put on her for a day or two if I wanted to show. Main thing is keeping her happy.

Edited to add..LSP your guy is so handsome.I just love what dressage does for their bodies.

Today we got some much needed rain. Not much but we will take it. It wasn’t a hard rain so I put Kyra on the lunge and we worked on raised walk poles. She knocked over the first one and went oh, I have to pick up my feet :!: . I had her walk through the poles then trot or canter the circle then back to walk and over the poles so she got lots of transitions.
We finished up with some half steps and Spanish walk…or maybe flailing our front feet in the air? I really had trouble clueing her into the forward.I finally got several actual forward steps and called it good.

Yikes Mountaineer. Someone has been skulking around our foothills and starting fires. One, less than a mile from the barn. Thankfully on the other side of the road and the road stopped it. One night, clear as a bell and no lightening, seven fires were started.
Susan
Last edited by Kyras_Mom on Thu Aug 11, 2022 3:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Aug 10, 2022 11:31 pm

Oh Geeze how scary mountaineer! Jingles you stay fire free.

Stormy days here in FL. Lots of beach walking a bit of swimming lots of naps. It’s interesting to be in a house on the beach with storms rolling through. Shakes the house.

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... ccYgl/?d=n

Henry has been such a good hound here on the beach once he got over all the steps he has to maneuver

Horses are being lunged by a friend just for exercise while I’m gone not sure how Chex has settled in. Haven’t heard anything negative

Be back by Sunday then have to get going with my upcoming clinics. Cedar in September WE in October and Jillian next spring. Also want to go school at poplar place in September and schooling show in October

Happy riding all! Hoping for better weather for those who are dealing with heat and fires

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:22 pm

Wow, Mountaineer. Scary! I helped evacuate horses in that bad Oakland fire like 30-40 years ago where it jumped an eight lane freeway. Scary. We have been super, super, super lucky here being cooler than normal and no fires (fingers crossed) but the barn has put out notices about who has trailers and how to evacuate. In general we're in a really safe area for fires (in the middle of a lot of expensive real estate and not a lot of dead trees) but you never know.

I am saving money and not going to shows. I did one last one two weeks ago and it was just weird and they really screwed me with the sound system. Whatever. I'm just focusing on next year. If I could get HALF the piaffe/passage I do at him in the ring, I would be thrilled. You never know with some of this bizarre judging around here, though. I've been scribing a lot this year, and it's just really confusing in what judges are wanting and what and how they are judging.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:44 am

Moutaineer wrote:Make sure those horses will load, folks.

Oh yeah... memories of running yearlings that have never been hauled into a stock trailer in the dark with a grassfire approaching. Not something I ever care to repeat. Glad things got under control before evacuation was necessary!

LSP, Lynx is looking good! I like his little mohawk. :) I hope he likes his new bridle.

We hauled across town this morning for lessons. The girls were a little better than last time, but still kind of an ordeal. We worked on some basics with Tesla just LY out to the left to get her off her right shoulder, and then some walk trot transitions in SI. This instructor hadn't seen us in about six weeks, so she didn't know how much we should push for. It was hot and muggy though, so I didn't mind since I was sweating buckets. For A, with a show coming up, we mostly worked on forward and back in canter and trying to get a medium that doesn't end up sprawling out. We demonstrated our SI and RB and got the seal of approval, so I think we're as ready as we're going to be for 2-1.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Aug 12, 2022 4:12 am

All quiet on the fire front today. A good downpour helped. It was a lightning strike.

SF. I've enjoyed riding 2.1. It has a nice flow to it. Enjoy!

I rode this afternoon out of a lesson, in a complete zoo of an indoor arena. Good practice for a warmup, I guess, but didn't achieve much, except no one died and I did manage to keep most of his focus. Though we did have a bit of an issue with the right lead walk to canter depart, which I thought we'd solved. He ran through his repertoire of Spanish Walk, Piaffe and Passage, and eventually we got a nice depart and called it good. Aagh.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:22 pm

Thank you guys for the kind words on Lynx.

Unfortunately I got some bad news on Lynx yesterday. I'm admittedly a little emotional. I also am hoping to get a second opinion ( not because I think the first one is wrong, I just feel better for some things for another set of professional eyes.)

But the chiropractic appointment quickly turned into a lameness exam instead. I finally got that right stifle ultrasounded, after suggesting it to vet after vet for a year. This vet immediately saw what I saw in agreed with me and grab that ultrasound machine. For that I'm so grateful. She spent a lot of time going over every little part that explaining it to me.

The good news: Lynx is currently pretty sound. But he is starting to move in a way to protect that stifle. His body condition is also looking great. Which makes me feel like we can't be on such a horrible path.

The bad news: there is evidence of injury last and some scar tissue on his meniscus. I'm assuming because of that, he also has evidence of arthritis beginning (x-rays clean last year.) She also found what she called soft cartilage which I believe is in the same family as OCD. Basically my understanding is the soft cartilage could turn into an OCD. She did say that probably had predisposed him to a stifle injury. She also said that that cartilage would not have been visible on x-ray last year regardless.

We have a plan and I'm also waiting to hear from CSU to get any more feedback. The plan is Legends for a month (and monthly for maintenance) along with surpass on the stifle to help get that inflammation down. She wanted him to stay and work but to drop down a little for a bit. So 3 days a week with lots of stretches and in hand strengthening work in between. Also no collected work and no jumping of course. He's only five so this isn't groundbreaking but we have been touching on things so we will stop doing that. Then in a month, IRAP or PRP in that stifle.

I asked her the mom's term prognosis and she said given how he was moving and looked, She said she knew a lot of upper level Dressage horses that have pretty ugly stifles but the right work and maintenance they are fine. Of course it depends on so much. And of course I don't want to hurt Lynx in any way for my goals. I'm very realistic and gutted that this is not good news but I'm also trying to stay positive. I plan is to do whatever I can to get him feeling good and keep working to myself in the next few years and then see what happens. He might get handed down to my daughter.
I'm glad I listened to my gut about this.

I hope everybody goes out on hugs their horses and goes and rides!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Aug 12, 2022 1:27 pm

The fire situations you all are describing are terrifying. I'm glad things are okay at this point.

Thanks for the kind words on Emi's rehab/transition. She is 20--which is not particularly old. But, in the last couple of years we've had some serious injuries (front suspensory tear, this gracilis tear, she even cracked a back molar!). I'm tired of rehab, but will do it slowly and calmly. I am still grateful that she was seriously sound and hard-working for our first 9+ years together.

And my work continues to evolve and I can imagine making time for another horse down the road. I will consider a lease situation, too. I board at a wonderful place with lots of young, energetic event horses--many of them sale horses, the rest with very active owners. If I go this way, the more likely approach is to find a lease horse to board there.

Edited to add: I'm thinking of you, LSP and Lynx. Fingers crossed this is manageable. You were smart to trust your gut. Try to remember that there are very few "perfect" horses without physical issues that require some management.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:04 pm

Oh, LSP so sorry to hear this news. But having some answers might also help you get Lynx on the right track. There are many imperfections that are very manageable once you know what you're dealing with and sounds like you and the vet have talked through a lot of really good options. IRAP and PRP treatments can be a tremendous help.

The fire stuff is so scary. Mountaineer, glad you got some rain and the immediate risk seems to have passed.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:08 pm

I’m so sorry that Lynx is having stifle issues. Hugs lsp. I dealt with bilateral ocd issues with Rip’s dam Gallie that stopped me working with her for awhile. I did find the HA gel oral supplement worked well for her for years and allowed her to do 2 nd/3rd level work until she foundered and had to stay in her stall for 10 months. I then did irap on her and she was sound though not in work for her retirement years until she foundered again. So in my experience you can manage stifle issues. I will say Gallie was more spooky when her stifles bothered her.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:20 pm

LSP, maybe to think about this another way - you've probably found the root cause of the little niggles that have been worrying you. You have a solid treatment plan to move forward with now. I know dealing with all of this sucks though. Horses are so dang delicate! After Tesla's OCD surgery (coffin joint) she was lame longer than expected and one PRP treatment made all the difference. Jingles for Lynx getting on the healing path!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:22 pm

Thank you guys. I definitely feel better knowing what's going on so we can have a very good plan and path ahead. I do think this is probably contributing to the spooking although he's been altered relaxed this last week, which I was contributing to the magnesium. But he should only feel better and better after getting what he needs.

Khall and SF, thanks for some of the encouragement. I don't want to hurt Lynx for my own goals so we will take it a step at a time. The vet did say she felt him staying in work was best. We will just change a little bit about how we go about it. Although, not huge changes yet.

Hopefully we can just continue to use Dressage as physical therapy and help him feel his best.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:28 pm

Oh bummer re: Lynx's stifle! Agree with Piedmontfields, though: no horse is perfect (with regards to xrays; obviously Queso is a paragon of perfection otherwise. Not that I'm biased or anything). And the challenge of this sport is customizing the training to the horse you have instead of the ideal.

I was just on a mission to do a before/after set of pictures of Queso to give you a view of how his topline has changed over the 4ish years he's been in work-- especially in his loin/croup connection-- to give you a view of what dressage training looks like on a QH body instead of a WB. Especially because Q and Lynx have a very similar conformation.

But, unfortunately, I'm the absolute worst at taking conformation shots. Will try again tomorrow.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:10 pm

LSP...I am glad you listened to your gut and you now have an answer. Sounds good to think of dressage work as physical therapy. Kyra's stifles have always been kind of wimpy. I had her checked when I first started her and that vet recommended I ride (this green bean 4 yo) in collection. Yea, that works...NOT. I had a couple other vets look at her over the years and just said to do hills and keep riding (was boarding on flat land at the time). Now that I have hills, we are working on it. Better late than never. Another thing to check...be sure that he does not have negative angles in back. That can exacerbate stifle issues quickly. I know you have had problems getting his feet done satisfactorily. Hopefully, the current farrier is getting a handle on his feet.

I had another really nice ride today. She has had 3 days off of riding so I did a rather casual warm-up. I like to ask the question from time to time of can you maintain self carriage and a steady tempo on a loose rein. Today, the answer was yes...walk, trot and canter. For our work session, we just worked on random stuff (SI, canter serpentine with change of lead through trot) then did our trek up the hill. It is still HOT and it isn't cooling off at night and my get up and go has got up and went. It is supposed to continue that way for at least another week. Gah. I hate being hot. So while it is being so hot, our work sessions are going to be pretty short.

Susan

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:26 pm

Ponichiwa, I very much look forward to seeing the handsome Queso and all of his glory and his fabulous glow up! I can agree that taking photos for conformation is really hard!! I do appreciate your effort and inspiration :)

Susan, yeah that seems similar to a lot of the advice I got previously. Not so much the collection but to make sure he's working through his back and use poles and hills. And I do think his body looks great so we weren't totally on the wrong track. But it seems he needs a little bit something extra for now. I'm going to totally change the direction of his work for a little.

Thankfully this vet also knew of the new farrier and was very happy to hear who I'm using now... So hopefully we are on the right track. There are no obvious signs of negative angles behind such as bullnosing but it is something to keep in mind for sure. Lynx loves the new farrier so much that he falls asleep the whole time he's getting his feet done now lol!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:06 am

LSP, I post this only because it is hard to learn: Follow your vet's advice and try to make the change---but hopefully just *1* main thing, not 5 things. This is hard for us over-achievers, but it helps us and vets see what is going on. One change at a time...

khall

Postby khall » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:57 am

Piedmont I don’t know sometimes it’s good to throw everything and see if something sticks! Not in this case though but when I was dealing with Rip and his upper airway where he had a serious reduction of his airway ( lost 50%) and was facing euthanasia if he did not improve we did absolutely everything we could think of then figured out what helped. Cost some serious $$ to do so though!

Lameness or nqr stifle though not the same urgency

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:37 pm

Gosh so much has happened in 2 weeks. Jingles for all those who need it. It seems that sometimes you can never get a break with horses and I'll be the first to say that they should all come bubble wrapped. Chisamba those pictures are amazing. Congratulations, I'm super impressed. LSP, I'm sorry to hear about Lynx. Horses can be the cause of so many gray hairs. LSP, some things to keep in mind. I agree completely with those recommending following your vet's advice. I also cannot overemphasize how much difference a good farrier can make regarding orthopedic issues, no matter where in the body they occur. Veterinary science is always evolving so even if one regimen isn't the 'cure' another around the corner certainly could be but dressage done properly can gradually make changes that will help - much like having a good farrier - it's all a balance. I took on an Oldenburg mare by Manhattan who was 7 at the time and had been 'washed out' of dressage due to a stifle issue. She had surgery and was on the fast track for NAYRC with a former owner. Once it was 'determined' that her stifle injury was going to keep her from competing at PSG (again keep in mind when I got her she was only 7), the 'then' owner gave her back to the breeder (a close friend of mine). Long story short she became a competitive trail mount for my son (she was just shy of 17 hands) and the two racked up the awards, then she produced two premium colts who are now competing successfully in dressage AND the whole while she was also competing with different people at 1st and 2nd level and doing WELL. She required some routine maintenance when she was competing at 2nd but nothing out of this world. I cannot tell you how many 'injured' or 'broken' horses have successful careers and are happy without being put through unreasonable demands once their challenges are accurately diagnosed and then well managed.

Junior is still sound and though I've backed off in a way, we're still working on the suppling and straightness issues which is translating into getting very close to having the same canter on both reins. I have a colleague/friend coming next week to do everyone's teeth (I'm just too old and beat up to sweat like that anymore so I'm gladly paying my friend to float teeth as opposed to me doing it like I've done for years) and while she's here I'm having her radiograph Junior's hocks. We'll see if I'm right and that the effusion is just stress/strain vs. something more.

I had a lesson on Brandon on Thursday. He is such a good egg. Loaded and unloaded without issue and went to work after 10 days of no riding or work. Our lesson was over cavallettis. I've introduced him to poles but this is the first time he had to go over something raised. He was so funny on his very first approach. We were headed at it at the walk and he stopped, took is right fore and tapped it a couple of times and then proceeded to walk over it. Then it was as if he'd been doing it his whole life. The purpose or focus of the exercise was to force me to maintain a proper bend in the chosen direction while negotiating single cavallettis at walk, trot and canter scattered throughout a three loop serpintine. The other 'goal' with the exercise was to get him to lift his forehand. He uses himself quite well in the hind but just lugs and loads heavy on the forehand. Hopefully once I get hind shoes on him he'll be less likely to move in such a way but the exercise will also help build the right muscles. Using cavallettis does seem to help keep his mind engaged a wee bit better, in addition to maintaining a better connection over the back and into the outside rein which results in a quieter mouth. All good things, plus his proprioception in all 4 improves as well.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 2:24 pm

Exvet, thank you for your advice and more life experience in these matters. It is truly helping me to be able to talk to other wonderful horse people. It certainly wasn't what I wanted to hear but I am definitely trying to stay hopefully. I'll need to be diligent and patient. My plan is to just take it one step at a time for now.

Fingers crossed the junior is just having mild issues in his hocks and nothing more. That's certainly what it sounds like. And I'm glad to hear Brandon is doing so well. What a young man!!

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:24 pm

Today I had a lesson and the Eventer Trainer told me to keep my head up. It's totally different but she said that her horse has an OCD in her hock at 4 years old and a hind suspensary issue at one time. She later went on to be a 2* Event horse and is still going (with maintenance) in get teens.
It's good to remember that miraculous things can happen when your armed with information and compassion and perhaps a little bit of hope.

Our lesson focused mostly on the walk today with a little bit of transitions to trot and canter. He still kind of wants to rocket into the canter and throw his head up. I'm thinking that this probably is at least partially stifle related although I think part of it's just young horse. Sometimes he anticipates pretty strongly to canter. Once we are in it ,it's great quality in the trot improves after. But it will be discussing whether we should drop the canter for awhile or not. I really want to figure out the best and most beneficial course of action here.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:27 pm

Kyra and I did another trail ride yesterday. We saw a person with a dog and a bicycle. The bicycle created a bit of excitement but she didn’t lose it (mentally) but I was very glad we met the bike on the top of a hill where I had some area to maneuver her and not on one of the steep side hills as she did twirl around when she heard the whirring of the bike heading her way. I also tried her in the bitless bridle. She carries a lot of tension in her mouth and does a lot of bit chomping which invariably irritates her inner cheeks. I thought that maybe the bitless would help that…I am pretty sure there was no inner cheek damage because no bit to pinch things but she still chomped (when nervous…like after the bike meeting) and little poop decided that I could hold her up as the bitless gives her something nice to lean on. I was able to lift and interrupt the lean but I think we will go back to the bit. My mid back is kind of sore/tired today.

The other trail rides I have done have made her pretty stiff and sore. These hills…you are pretty much going uphill or downhill…not many sustained level areas. So, when I got back yesterday, I made sure to walk her in the arena for another 5-10 minutes to allow a bit better state of her muscles post ride. She was great today and not stiff at all.

Today was just an easy ride but we worked on transitions within the gait and a bit of SI. She finished with a very nice trot lengthening and she didn’t run past her balance which is always nice. I am so glad I made the barn move. I really was hesitant at times to ride at the other barn due to the state of the footing. I am having a blast at this barn. Today, no one had been in the big arena since it was worked and watered early yesterday morning. It is so fun to make patterns on newly the worked footing. Today we made a giant 30m circle then I put a 15 m figure of 8 in the inside. When I leave the barn, the road is elevated in relation to the arena and I can admire my handiwork :mrgreen: .

She is going to have a lighter week this week due to Dr appointments and she is getting body work a week from Tuesday which I am sure she will enjoy. I can’t elicit any sore spots other than general soreness after our trail rides but I did do a saddle change a month ago and want to make sure it is not causing any issues.

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:36 pm

LSP, sorry to hear about Lynx’s troubles. For me it’s calming to have a plan to then execute and it sounds like you have a good team behind the both of you.

August was to be a busy month and it’s not disappointing yet! Work is nuts but I got my generous mid-year raise so that balances out. I haven’t updated but they did hire a new barn manager and she so far seems to be hard working and conscientious.

We had an in-person barn meeting with the owner and while not everyone attended it was a mostly positive interaction. There was some good discussion and while the bigger business plan is they have no plan at least they were honest about it. I will be holding tight for now and perhaps re-evaluating in the spring. As I told my trainer if there was a comparable place to go I would have left already. And no, unfortunately her place isn’t an option for many reasons (limited turnout, BIG dollars for full training which isn’t my style, and they are gone to FL with barn closed up Nov-Apr)

Recent lesson a week or so ago we started to chip away more at straightness, especially for the right lead. Lots of 4 track shoulder-in both walk and trot as well as turn on the forehand then cantering straight lines away from the wall. I think we got 2-3 strides of actual straight in the canter during the lesson? Lol, Kora thinks these exercises are ridiculously hard. So we chip away.

This past weekend I took her up to the University for a school in a new place to her and visit my old mare that I donated to their program. She looks great, super happy and got to chat to the girl who is keeping her ticking over the summer break and how much she adores her. Still makes me teary on the drive home but I’m so pleased with the care she gets.

I’m half packed and ready for our stay away show-cation that we leave for on Thursday. Will try to post updates when I’m there! Already signed up for Terri Miller photos as I’m hoping to get at least one good photo of her first show season. We unfortunately don’t have Axel Steiner for a judge this weekend but some other cracking good ones there.

Happy riding all indeed

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:14 pm

I have been very busy doing a step back to improve foundations to step forward again.

Saiph and Kimba are both being encouraged to remain equally supple and rideable in canter and counter canter with the goal of having more uphill and rhythmic changes.

It might be a forever work but keeping Cali using his back and not compressing his neck when he hits the show atmosphere is a work in progress.

I kind of like the process of improving basics and suddenly the hard stuff blossoms.

khall

Postby khall » Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:07 pm

Good luck aleuronx!! Have a great time!

Chisamba what specifically are you doing to work on suppleness and ride ability in your mares in the canter?

I’m working on the ride ability in Joplin but it is to contain her power and create better balance and strength so she can carry herself better. I’m stoked that the L and R canter are feeling way way more similar. Most of it is me. I have to sit on my seat bones keep them thinking straight and forward ( others we get sideways stuff) keep my leg hugging her. If I do this she Carrie’s herself beautifully. I was able to give forward both reins in L canter and she stayed there. I was able to canter R with straightness and balance. Did not try giving forward yet. Still keeping it short with our heat and humidity. Concentrating on the quality of the work

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:42 am

Yesterday , for example, Saiph was over reacting to leg aids. So throwing in flying changes . I did quite a lot of simple leg yield in canter and counter canter til I could move her laterally comfortably but maintain the lead. I have been very careful with how I use my leg , calf for lateral , heel for change.

Kimba likes to push through the contact and get heavy in the reins in cc, so we have been working on accepting the hh. Also some Travers on the long side but taking it into a 20m circle for body bend.

I also say our loud what I'm doing. People laugh at me. " Kimba this is my outside calf would you please Travers . I'm sitting still and not giving up inside flexion " etc etc. It's a technique that helps me remember my clarity of aids

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:45 am

Also various levels of collection, in canter. Also flexion, straight and counter flexion over a few strides to help keep the elasticity.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:49 am

Wow, so much going on. First, hi Demi. How are you? Thinking of you and sending hugs.

LSP-hoping you guys stay on a postive track. Good for you for listening to your gut!

Chisamba-love the pics, congrats on the new level and gosh it looks like you all had fun on the outing all dressed as a team.

exvet-good update, and Brandon sounds like fun! I love poles!

SF-any tips on the stretchy circle? I had it at home but not at the show. The clinic sounded good, happy riding!

I pray the fires stay away from all of you near them and are put out.

Sooooo, we did our first schooling show of the year and did FL1 and 2. Scores of mid 62s. I was pleased overall for where we've been, and how I've been at shows. Much more pleasant and relaxed. But I have my hw cut out for me. Starting with not blocking him with my hands. I think I'm not stressed and then my hands are up and wide and I feel like I never really gave or put them forward for the lengthenings and stretchy circles. Poor guy, that's not really fair. We need to be consistent on the contact (again hands) and to show a real difference in the gaits. But overall so much better than in the past so I'm pleased.

And we are working on him self-loading. Right now he walks in to someone at the front of the trailer, he doesn't want to go into an empty trailer. I love this horse!! :D
Attachments
LY1 081422e.png
LY1 081422e.png (220.17 KiB) Viewed 33479 times
Canter2 081422.png
Canter2 081422.png (164.09 KiB) Viewed 33479 times
Trot2 081422.png
Trot2 081422.png (222.12 KiB) Viewed 33479 times

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:20 pm

Chantal, nice pictures. Looks like your big guy has filled out a bit more. The only thing I see is a horse that needs to get stronger and step underneath himself a wee bit/shift the weight back just a little more at this level in the trot shots. Not sure if it's your hands or if maybe you need to just shift your own weight back and ride him into a receiving hand to help him lift the front end. And I'm literally talking increments, the pictures truly are nice. Lovely phase in the canter.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:13 pm

exvet wrote:Chantal, nice pictures. Looks like your big guy has filled out a bit more. The only thing I see is a horse that needs to get stronger and step underneath himself a wee bit/shift the weight back just a little more at this level in the trot shots. Not sure if it's your hands or if maybe you need to just shift your own weight back and ride him into a receiving hand to help him lift the front end. And I'm literally talking increments, the pictures truly are nice. Lovely phase in the canter.

It's probably both exvet. You are spot on. We are working on a consistent connection. We are working on the stepping under in my lessons, but doing it on my own is a whole 'nother thing, especially in the show ring. I'm thinking about getting a pivo so I can video my rides and be more aware every.single.ride.

khall

Postby khall » Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:53 pm

Trying to get Gaila a bit happier in the double. She is very sensitive. She also has not only found her power but her change button. Whoops got to work on that

Thanks chisamba for elaborating on your canter work with your mares. I think I’m going to have to do the same re changes with Gaila. Geeze you teach them something new and they run with it!! While I was gone and my friend lunged for me she said Gaila was doing clean one tempis on the lunge one day. Lol over achiever!!
Last edited by khall on Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Aug 16, 2022 11:29 pm

Aah... changes as a novel form of evasion... don't you love it!!

Yes, Demi, how are you doing? Missing your input.

We are working on collection and connection and throughness in all gaits, but particularly the canter, with a view to pirouettes in the not too distant future. Its fun stuff and keeps us both very focused!

What I'm noticing is how much this work is developing his top line. While he will never be a beefcake, he is looking pretty substantial under saddle. I'll have to try and get some pictures.

The outdoor arena footing and sand is in the process of being delivered... Wahoo! I think by this time next week we should be back outside, which will be so great.

I had a wild hair to sign up for a schooling show the weekend after next, just to get ourselves in an arena in
a low stress, cheap and somewhat anonymous venue. But my style is being cramped by the inability to get anyone to fix my truck A/C by then. Maybe the universe is trying to tell me something. I'm sure as heck not driving an hour plus each way in August with no A/C!

There's another one in September. I'll see if I can get things together by then.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 17, 2022 3:28 pm

Moutaineer, I'm toying with the September show too; it's mostly the money factor giving me pause at this point, with the price of gas. I just got my ride times for this weekend, and we'll be done by 10 am both days, which I'm so relieved about since it's going to be 100-ish. I'm also glad I'll be riding the first level tests first, though hopefully A won't be tired for the second level test - we have about a half hour wait in between. I did a quick ride on A and popped through 2-1 with a few corrections where I didn't have the test quite right. I think it will be pretty decent as long as I remember to ride!

Tesla was a snark monster this morning when I groomed and saddled her. She seemed a little sore around her lumbar area, so I used the laser on that. She was pretty forward on the lunge, but it seems like she was holding her tail rather stiffly. However, once I got on, she was completely lovely. We worked more on stretching and bending to loosen her body up, including some stretchy canter, then finished with a nice trot around one of the fields. I think she is starting to enjoy the work; the next few weeks I'm thinking we'll need to focus more on suppleness as long as she isn't getting stuck behind the leg again.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:10 pm

I would love to see pics of your guy Moutaineer.

Good luck this weekend SF!

Mikey's been a little sore under the panels of the saddle so he has a few days off and the saddle fitter is coming next Weds.

And hubby has covid so that's fun. I'm really trying not to get it but who knows. Especially before he came down with symptoms. Good times...

demi

Postby demi » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:29 am

Hi everyone! I’ve been basically numb for the last few weeks and not even able to keep up with everyone’s posts. I have been doing my daily lessons on Besa, and my trainer has been amazing at keeping me focused. Still, I was only operating on one or two brain cells. On Tuesday however, I had to deal with reality when I picked up my husbands ashes and death certificate. It was the reality check I needed and yesterday I started connect to life again. My husband was the love of my life for 43 years. A truly brilliant chemist and even more brilliant businessman, a true animal lover, and my very best friend. We understood each other on so many levels. His last gift to me was the most amazing Besa. Yesterday, I realized that riding her is going to be an ongoing connection to Rik.

We are getting passage quite nicely now and the feeling blows me away. I am also working on collected walk and canter. I am starting to get the feeling for collection for the first time in my life. When I first started riding her back in June, my idea was to let her go down to my level and then go up together from there. Trainer had a different idea. She wants me to learn to ride her at her highest level first. She said that when I show her I can start at first level and go up but not until I can ride her at her current level of training.

Yesterday I was excited about riding again and it was a relief.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:29 pm

Good luck SF, of course pics or video will be expected (if doable) ;)

Hugs to you demi. You've been dealt such a tough blow and given a great gift so bittersweet. I admire your pragmatic approach to it all. I think your trainer is right.

Riding Junior this am then hauling Brandon out to another lesson. I have a friend/colleague coming today to float everyone's teeth and take rads of Junior's hocks. We'll see what the future holds at that time; but I do plan to enter two schooling shows in September. Brandon is going to have to step it up a notch or two, with the plan of doing more serious showing soon and if Junior gets the green light he'll be going too.

On Sunday I took Junior out on the trail and cantered and trotted the entire 4.5 miles. I threw in some flying changes and they were clean.........it was clear that having the forward, riding and suppling in the rib cage then aiding is starting to click with him instead of just flipping the change which is and has been his go to the majority of the time. Being outside of the arena took that anticipation aspect out of the equation which I think is what is our nemesis. If we're riding and he's listening we can pull it together but if he's tense and anticipating the little bullet is just geared to shoot lol and it's not always the best. If his hocks are clean on rads, I'm going to have to work on getting him to other places to ride that don't remind him of the dressage court and just work on having him on my seat. I think that is really going to be key to getting him over the anticipation and riding against (resisting) my request to get the appropriate bend (ie, load the left hind and bend in the rib cage around the right leg and give that right shoulder - no surprise that it's been the same issue from the very beginning). Fingers crossed.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Aug 18, 2022 8:48 pm

Oh demi-more hugs!

Horses are lifeline. The have strong necks and broad backs yet are so soft and sensitive. Wishing you many wonderful rides, and more connection.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:39 pm

I'm glad to hear from you, Demi. Your husband was obviously one of the good guys. Its so good you have Besa. What a prescient gift.

My little horse was a wonderboy again today. One of the most important things we are working on at the moment is tools to remove tension. Lots of lateral and forward release to gain softness and roundness through the topline. I can practically hear him sighing with relief when he let's go and comes confidently into my hand.

I'm just exhausted after 45 minutes in the heat and mugginess of the indoor and am collapsed in a heap at the moment, again. Going to go have a chat with a new doctor on Monday and get some bloodwork run, I think. This is not normal for me.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Aug 19, 2022 12:43 am

Demi, I am really sorry for your loss. I'm hopeless at saying the right things in these situations but I am thinking of you.
I think it's great that you are doing the higher level stuff with Besa! Getting the feeling of collection is what it is all about I reckon! I try and get my friends to ride my horses so they can get to feel what it's like. So many people say "oh I'm happy at preliminary level' (training) etc but once you ride a horse that's more collected and balanced its easier to take that to the training level horse and start aiming for it. If that makes sense.

Now that I've said I'm wanting to ride GP, I've started trying some of the movements. I suck!! I'm not sure it's going to ever happen, but it's fun trying

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:19 am

demi wrote:Hi everyone! I’ve been basically numb for the last few weeks and not even able to keep up with everyone’s posts. I have been doing my daily lessons on Besa, and my trainer has been amazing at keeping me focused. Still, I was only operating on one or two brain cells. On Tuesday however, I had to deal with reality when I picked up my husbands ashes and death certificate. It was the reality check I needed and yesterday I started connect to life again. My husband was the love of my life for 43 years. A truly brilliant chemist and even more brilliant businessman, a true animal lover, and my very best friend. We understood each other on so many levels. His last gift to me was the most amazing Besa. Yesterday, I realized that riding her is going to be an ongoing connection to Rik.

We are getting passage quite nicely now and the feeling blows me away. I am also working on collected walk and canter. I am starting to get the feeling for collection for the first time in my life. When I first started riding her back in June, my idea was to let her go down to my level and then go up together from there. Trainer had a different idea. She wants me to learn to ride her at her highest level first. She said that when I show her I can start at first level and go up but not until I can ride her at her current level of training.

Yesterday I was excited about riding again and it was a relief.

Thanks for telling us a little more about Rik. I hope you can find a little thing to look forward to each day, like riding.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Aug 19, 2022 4:30 am

Flight, I was chatting to a friend yesterday about how I find it fairly easy to bring a horse from green to second because I've done it so many times on so many horses, then from two to four is a bit more complicated, because I just have not done it as often. Then from four to PSG and the I levels is so difficult for me because its only three times ive done that over a period of decades!!! I'm sure people who ride GP all the time are fluent at it. The only way to get better at it is to do it. Right?

Moutaineer, tension is a peculiar thing, we need a certain amount of positive tension to do all the grand stuff. But have to work out how to get that without the negative stress. It's simple but not easy

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:24 am

Chisamba wrote:Flight, I was chatting to a friend yesterday about how I find it fairly easy to bring a horse from green to second because I've done it so many times on so many horses, then from two to four is a bit more complicated, because I just have not done it as often. Then from four to PSG and the I levels is so difficult for me because its only three times ive done that over a period of decades!!! I'm sure people who ride GP all the time are fluent at it. The only way to get better at it is to do it. Right?

Moutaineer, tension is a peculiar thing, we need a certain amount of positive tension to do all the grand stuff. But have to work out how to get that without the negative stress. It's simple but not easy

Ha, yes good point. I have to remember I have never done this before and not be too hard on myself or my horse!

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:01 pm

[quote="Chisamba"

Moutaineer, tension is a peculiar thing, we need a certain amount of positive tension to do all the grand stuff. But have to work out how to get that without the negative stress. It's simple but not easy[/quote]

This in spades, underscored, bolded, italicized and 100 exclamation points!

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Aug 19, 2022 2:11 pm

Good news. Junior's hock rads are unremarkable. My colleague agrees with my assumption that Junior's effusions are simple a result of increased work/stress and the HEAT. She also feels my 'future' plan is reasonable in building his strength while trying to keep him sound. I had an okay lesson on Brandon yesterday. We worked more on getting him to move correctly and straight with the ultimate focus being the canter. Does anyone see a theme here? Same ride, both crooked horses, both crooked in a similar way....................um yeah. So, since Brandon [also] doesn't want to abduct his right fore (likes to rope walk in front) and prefers not to engage his left hand, I spent the majority of the lesson literally with my right thigh and knee off the saddle, 90% of my weight in my right stirrup and literally feeling like I was hanging off the right side of the balance beam. IF Brandon had shied or shifted in any way to the left, I was going to land straight in the dirt; but fortunately, he chose to try to figure out why the hell I was sitting 'over there'. None of this was a revelation. I've known from the comments of my saddle fitter, my other coaches, the knowledge of my own handicap that this was an issue, but I've been able to compensate or simply fake it for too long of a while. Now I have to draw the line in the sand with myself and fix it before it becomes the severity of challenge it has become with Junior (though he's such a good egg). We have rain in the forecast for much of the day today so It may be a good day to work on legging my guys up.

khall

Postby khall » Fri Aug 19, 2022 9:18 pm

Awe hugs demi! So glad you have Besa to look forward to. What a lovely gift your DH gave you. How incredible Besa is giving you the understanding of riding a horse with such schooling. A good passage is a blast to ride.

Exvet glad Junior is good to continue. It’s such a balancing act to work them and get them fit. I’m starting to work Joplin twice a day some. I came back from vacation to two fat supposed to be riding horses. Oy

I lunged Joplin over a jump yesterday and in her usual agreeable self she had no issues with it at all. May have to just use barrels though. The small X I set up was not very inspiring to her to actually put effort into jumping consistently! Lol. The joys of an intelligent mare

Cooling off here because of rain. I’ll take it. But humidity is still bleh bleh
Last edited by khall on Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:10 pm

Demi, thank you for checking in. I'm glad that Besa and your training program are giving you some structure and something to look forward to during such a difficult time of transition and loss.

I just got my girls an Equilibrium back massage pad. Yes, they are spoilt. Annabelle seemed a little nervous about it the first time, but last night I was able to run it on medium while she stood on some SureFoot pads and she seemed nice and relaxed. Tesla has had a spot on her right side below where the saddle would press that she has been really reactive to for a few days. After the back pad and a little laser work last night, she was non-reactive this morning. This morning we had a little bit of rain, so I rode her in the indoor for the first time since probably May. She was pretty good but did want to suck back a few times, and got a little discombobulated in the canter and started swapping leads in back. Once we kept the legs organized for a circle both ways I called it good and we balanced it out with a canter out in the dry lot. I was also able to check her SI and HI in the mirror and we are starting to get about 4-5 steps with nice bend on a 3-track (I know we'll need to develop a little more angle on HI for competition). I think this step up in the lateral work will be key to getting her balanced more onto her hind legs.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”