The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:13 pm

I'm officially entered. Holey moley showing is not cheap but I admit I choose to stable on the grounds

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:24 pm

That’s exciting chisamba!! Jingles for a successful show. . Dust off your tails for next year!

Yeah showing recognized is crazy expensive. I know they are doing the two combined shows in one weekend to make it easier to qualify but dang that raises the costs up so much more. I don’t see myself showing recognized anytime soon. Schooling shows are so much more affordable

I have lunged Joplin a couple of days this week. Not something I do too much unless I’m doing caveletti. Wow her movement has changed! Cedar was saying she was carrying me so much better and I see why. She’s getting that pelvis rotation nicely totally enhanced how she is moving. Makes the medium trot easy. Now to get her right lead up to snuff.

I do want to try some lunging over jumps. Exvet I know you were doing this. We’re you doing bounces or one strides? If anyone has any suggestions please feel free to share. It’s been a long time since I’ve set up jumps

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:37 pm

A favorite gymnastic for me is trot poles to a high x because that encourages the horse to rock back, to one stride to a low wide oxer. Either a line or on a circle.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 10, 2022 2:38 pm

I just got around to watching a video from a few days ago. I wasn't very happy with how I rode, and specifically how I dealt with Annabelle being a little stiff and against my hand. It didn't look as bad as I thought though. This is a clip from the end, where we incorporated some of the exercise I was given in a lesson last month: halting before the cavaletti and then trotting through. I added some T/H transitions throughout the circle and really like how A was getting snappy and stepping under with her hind legs. I think today I'll use this earlier in the ride and then see if the canter improves. Yesterday I thought she felt much better, but no video evidence. Between work, heat and getting T to the vet this week, A will probably have a light week.

https://youtu.be/7N1-29IgfDs

Chisamba, can't wait to hear about your 4th level debut with Saiph! The show yesterday was interesting. I think I caught two 4th level tests and several 3rd. There is a big difference between 3-1 and 3-3. It was solid WB's over there, with the occasional Iberian, and based on the horse names, I think that was true for the lower level tests too. It's weird, the other venue that hosts recognized shows here tends to get the broader range of horses, and lucky for me, is a better show venue for Annabelle. Maybe Tesla and I will make it to this show next year.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Jul 10, 2022 4:09 pm

Good luck at the show Chisamba!

khall I've been doing mostly one strides to the fence or poles to a taller vertical and also I'll throw together a couple of four stride combinations often ending with some type of spread. Junior seemed overwhelmed when I tried to do bounces on the lunge so I've saved such exercises for under saddle.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:03 am

StraightForward wrote:I just got around to watching a video from a few days ago. I wasn't very happy with how I rode, and specifically how I dealt with Annabelle being a little stiff and against my hand. It didn't look as bad as I thought though. This is a clip from the end, where we incorporated some of the exercise I was given in a lesson last month: halting before the cavaletti and then trotting through. I added some T/H transitions throughout the circle and really like how A was getting snappy and stepping under with her hind legs. I think today I'll use this earlier in the ride and then see if the canter improves. Yesterday I thought she felt much better, but no video evidence. Between work, heat and getting T to the vet this week, A will probably have a light week.

https://youtu.be/7N1-29IgfDs

I really like transition exercises with trot poles. For my horse, who wants to dive down a bit in c/t, we canter, then trot a few strides out from the poles, trot over the poles, and then do a canter depart on the straight.

Annabelle looks great!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:56 pm

Mari, we've done that one too. I don't know if it has as much of an effect on Annabelle, but does help with snappy transitions. I've also been using canter to walk poles, and then canter off again. Keeps the walk marching after the down transition.

Shoot, the August 20th show entries opened already. It seems too far out for me to commit - too much can go wrong in the meantime, but I guess if A has a problem, I could ask them to sub in T for at least an intro test or something.
Keep calm and canter on.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:57 pm

"Doesn't feel like walking. Feels like crawling." Gary Rockwell

Let's call this back to basics. The good news is, I haven't ruined his mouth. HW is to work on forward and his real working trot.

Lots of notes. My leg aids need to be consistent pressure and he needs to respect it. Feel like LY out to the track to start circles as he wants to dive in on the R shoulder (our MO for our entire relationship).

I think we reverted back to our old established behaviors in a new place with big scary judge/clinic. I was so nervous the first day and Mikey was so reactive. Bad combo. All our progress the past 3 months did not show. But, you have to ride what you have that day, the horse and the rider. Sunday was better. We got good working trot and lots of HW and more notes from watching other sessions. I'll add other notes but am a bit crazed with being gone and getting ready to go away again.

Most important take aways, constant pressure on inside leg then boom if he doesn't listen. Bend and release inside rein and support outside rein. If he's working slower than his working trot, he's behind my leg, and he's got big gaits. Walk almost like we're gonna trot, trot almost like we're gonna canter. Don't grab. Trust him. Take risks and go FORWARD!

I see him bouncing on the contact, that's my issue. Always has been. He has to take up my outside rein, doesn't like to take the left rein when going to the right, happy going to the left.

Look at the corners, on the long sides and short sides, to ride them correctly.

Bend on the inside rein and release, repeat as needed, then support on outside rein.

Positives:
no fussiness in his mouth
we can do a straight centerline
we can LY
we can trot
our circles are much better

Now to practice and make all this rote.

A few grabs from video
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-10 10.02.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-07-10 10.02.13 PM.png (186.81 KiB) Viewed 114031 times
Good boy (good Madi) 7_10.png
Good boy (good Madi) 7_10.png (219.42 KiB) Viewed 114031 times

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Jul 11, 2022 2:05 pm

chantal wrote:"Walk almost like we're gonna trot, trot almost like we're gonna canter.

That was a big one when I audited GR last (?) year. Good reminder! It would be intimidating riding with him and you did it. Sounds like a good clinic overall even if you felt things regressed a bit with the atmosphere. Thanks for sharing the notes. Love that second pic of Mikey moving out. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:24 pm

Leg aids consistent pressure? Explain please

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:38 pm

Chisamba wrote:Leg aids consistent pressure? Explain please

When asking the horse to go forward or move over,I tap tap, incorrectly so. He says apply consistent pressure with the appropriate leg when asking and then boom if the horse doesn't respond. Both legs to go forward, inside leg to move out or ask for more bend.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:41 pm

StraightForward wrote:
chantal wrote:"Walk almost like we're gonna trot, trot almost like we're gonna canter.

That was a big one when I audited GR last (?) year. Good reminder! It would be intimidating riding with him and you did it. Sounds like a good clinic overall even if you felt things regressed a bit with the atmosphere. Thanks for sharing the notes. Love that second pic of Mikey moving out. :)

I audited first 3 months ago then worked my butt off to prepare. And regressed in the moment. But as GR said, that will happen at shows and clinics and this is where we have to put in the work. I'm going between feeling okay and throwing in the towel, well not really. But gah. Mixed emotions. But so well worth it. It's intimidating to be the lowest level rider in the midst of so much good riding. Hopefully hanging out with them will rub off on me? :D

But the pics do show something. Sorry they are so crappy, as my hubby/photographer says, supply chain issues :lol:

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:17 pm

chantal wrote:

When asking the horse to go forward or move over,I tap tap, incorrectly so. He says apply consistent pressure with the appropriate leg when asking and then boom if the horse doesn't respond. Both legs to go forward, inside leg to move out or ask for more bend.

Great notes, Chantel. I agree with SF, He is not an easy clinician so good for you for doing it!! I think you should not feel discouraged. We all have situations where the nerves get us a bit. It sounds like you still made a lot of improvement.

Regarding the leg pressure, I've noticed with Lynx I want to tend to do that light tap tap thing. He was trained initially Western and I don't know if you've ever watched a lot of Western colt starters but they do a lot of bumping with their legs. So he responds to that but that's not effective for dressage! Always working on forward response from the light squeeze.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:11 am

chantal wrote:

OH. I thought you meant to maintain pressure with the leg consistently. Lol. I like my horses too maintain forward with a draped leg.

There are very many trainers and clinicians who teach that the leg should be applied once when the horses leg touches the ground. In other words touch each stride in lateral work, absolutely not a squeeze and hold. I am not going to venture into who is right and who is wrong.

Multiple terminology include touch like you are pushing a soccer ball into the outside hand.

But.... I am very averse to a nagging leg lol

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:28 am

Chantal, sounds like an overall good clinic. Yikes, I haven’t even had a lesson for years, let alone a clinic.

Chisamba’s little nugget about treading water has helped us a lot. I am still playing with that but getting some lovely soft connection and feel like now, I can do a bit more. This spring was tough…I wasn’t sure where that horse came from (tense and spooky-like when she was a 6yo :roll: ) and couldn’t really find anything concrete to attribute it to :?: Luckily, the horse I know is back and upward and onward. Since her canter is adjustable now, I am adding in some counter canter loops and maybe by next week we will do some diagonals (CC—> TC).

Poor girl was a bit stiff and sore after the trail ride. Our darned foothills are steep and I don’t know how to train to them except do them. Yesterday was a spa day and a light lunge. She was tripping with her toes behind at trot so I knew she was stiff and sore. She was fine on our ride today although she still seemed a little sore in the rump. I gave her a good massage post ride. We did do the hill on the property after our arena ride. It isn’t nearly as steep or long but hill work nevertheless. We will get over being flat landers :lol: .

Susan

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Jul 12, 2022 12:15 pm

Chisamba wrote:
chantal wrote:

OH. I thought you meant to maintain pressure with the leg consistently. Lol. I like my horses too maintain forward with a draped leg.

There are very many trainers and clinicians who teach that the leg should be applied once when the horses leg touches the ground. In other words touch each stride in lateral work, absolutely not a squeeze and hold. I am not going to venture into who is right and who is wrong.

Multiple terminology include touch like you are pushing a soccer ball into the outside hand.

But.... I am very averse to a nagging leg lol

Now that I've had some rest and a little more time to think, I'm a little more coherent. The squeeze and hold is for the aid if the horse isn't listening, like my guy. We have our aids a bit confused, okay me, I am confused. So I need to fix this. So firm squeeze until he yields and then drape. He's really barging through the right right now and doesn't want to take the left rein consistently.

So yes, other than that, leg drape. Otherwise I am nagging. And no nagging.

Another thing we're working on is straighter LYs, no bend, or he says it's not a suppling exercise. Shoulders leading just a smidge and inching over so they do the long diagonal from the centerline. No steep movement to the center letter. And forward.

For my circles: Bend one stride before we start the circle, think LY out a few steps, look a 1/4 of a circle ahead (I know this, but do I do it?) and again forward. Bend (inside rein), release, bend, release all while thinking LY out, or actually doing it if he's falling in.

I feel so small and incompetent after rewatching my videos, I must say. The photos are from the last half of the second day where we finally got him working well and much more like he works like my lessons at home, and more and more on my own as of the past 1-2 months.

To be fair, we reverted back to old habits in a strange environment so we have work to do to not do that. But this will happen in clinics and at shows so here we are.

Upward and onward (she says still a little weakly)

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Jul 12, 2022 1:09 pm

Chantal I love the photos and I have to admit when I read your first report, it was reminiscent of more than one clinic I've participated in and on more than one beast ;) It sounds like it was a learning opportunity with decent gains. It is so true for most of us that we revert back to old habits in moments of tension or stress but the more 'safe' opportunities to ride through these times is what makes us and the horse better and more confirmed in the good habits. My hat is off to you for making the most of a clinic that I'm sure wasn't cheap. The pictures just tell me that Mikey needs to get stronger to be able to handle his beautiful gaits with the right balance. He's a horse that makes you take notice of his talent. The over the right shoulder thing, ugh, you and I should start a club lol.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:15 pm

:lol: exvet-a club, YES!! Thank you for that. I am going to have to work through it somewhere and it was excellent instruction. I am craving that, and I got it.

We had a great trail ride with a good friend today and worked on our bending and forward walk when needed. The trail ride was much needed, I think his body is still tired, my mind and emotions are still recovering.

One step at a time padawan.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:30 pm

I haven't seen GR for some years, but I remember him as being detailed, exacting and all about the fundamentals. People here found him unexciting to audit because he was so detail oriented and repetitive, but I found the detailed work incredibly useful to watch, and there are still things from auditing him that pop into my mind when I need them all these years later.

I'd love to ride with him now that I have a better understanding of what the heck I'm trying to do :)

I've been down in the (hot) valley today with Laddie getting his teeth floated. He seems none the worse for wear after his choke incident, and I'm sure the dental appointment will help.

Lesson tomorrow, I hope. Trainer has not been around much as her DH has been rather sick with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever, poor guy. Watch out for those damned ticks, everyone!

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:32 am

Hoping Laddie is great after the dental appointment. And I hope your lesson goes well. Sorry to hear about your trainer's DH, ticks suck. And yes, they are everywhere.

I loved watching the other rides, and I love the detail. And could see the differences in responses. He also adds why you should do something and yes, hammers on it. My videos are not pleasant to watch for that reason. I feel like I wasted so much time, mine and his. :oops: He was mostly patient and explained a lot. Some I knew, some I didn't. All good to hear.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:05 pm

As much as I hate spraying chemicals the trial we did with a tick spray company this year has worked beyond expectation. Walking the dog has resulted in almost no ticks as compared to previous years and you can visually see from the amount in our 'tick jar' that the spray is working. This time of year the small jar would be full and currently we have about ~25 ticks in there mostly from before the company did the first spray. A cost that has been worthwhile for us. Jingles that the DH recovers well Mountaineer.

Good lesson for us over the weekend, I bravely admitted to our right turn difficulties and we did a massive drive into getting contact into the left rein. Tracking right we worked shoulder out/leg yield on the wall in the trot, tracking left did shoulder-in without drifting off the line and turn on the forehand off the left rein in walk. There was much grunting from Kora but man once we filled out that rein we got that kick-ass trot. So homework made.

Did the hormone shot myself about a week ago and it is still doing well to keep her stable. Other than cost :shock: it has been worth doing the switch as I don't have to worry about the barn turmoil and who's feeding that it isn't being missed. It's been hodge-podge at best for who's doing care still but rumor has it that a new barn manager has been hired. No official communication to that effect but that's been the MO at this place, communication is not their strong suit unless it's a board increase.

Show this weekend and our goals are to nail the walk tour transitions and ride our corners. It's going to be a hot one and we are going to roast.

exvet

Postby exvet » Wed Jul 13, 2022 1:17 pm

Aleuronx - good luck at the show!

Speaking of heat, we're heading up to the Grand Canyon to escape for a long weekend. The horses are going to get a brief vacation/time off though I told my daughter that if she wanted to ride in the wee hours she could since she's house/pet sitting for me.

I had a very pleasant surprise yesterday. I got an update on one of the twisted sista's, Annwyld D'Lite who was foaled in 2012 and is still with the same gal I sold her to as a two-year-old. Her owner was a member on the UDBB and used to post about the PFP (Princess Fancy Pants) during her early days of training. Well, she's had to work through a few injuries (human, not pony) but is finally mended and showing. It was wonderful to see her pictures from her last show and to know that Dee Dee is going well for her owner (competing at mostly dressage, first/second level). I'm not going to post the pictures without permission, but I had to share pictures and video of Junior because the two are so much alike. They have the same star and front end to a "T". It does my heart good to know that she is in such a good home and has turned out to be exactly what I had hoped. I wished we lived closer because a Pas de Deux with the siblings would be a definite bucket list item of mine ;)

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:17 pm

Glad Laddie seems to be okay, Mountaineer.

Exvet, how cool to get that update. She sounds like a cool horse and it's always great to know they have dedicated owners. Enjoy the Grand Canyon! I was recently talking to my husband that we need to take my daughter there one of these days.

Lynx has been pretty good. My last two lessons we worked in a lot of good stuff. I feel like our leg yields are getting really solid. Finally able to keep him more straight. We also keep playing with shoulder in and as long as I don't contort my body we get it just fine. We have also been playing with turn on the haunches, which for some reason is always really hard for me. I'm the type of person that if I think of too many things at once (what my leg, reins, shoulders or his body should be doing) that things get really wonky. I have to think of things more simply and just do them. So my trainer was telling me to just think about moving the shoulders around the haunches. Bingo.

In my pole work lesson we ended up not doing many poles because of the heat. So instead we did spiral circles at the trot, the. Either length the trot down the long side or canter it and collect him into another spiral circle. It was probably the first time I felt I could really ride Lynx's canter. He has a lot of movement in there and I found that when I'm given something to do other than just canter around, I suddenly can actually sit and ride. :lol:

This weekend Warrwick Schiller is doing a clinic at the barn. Although it's more like the barn owner just letting them rent an arena, no boarders are involved. We can audit for a few of course. I definitely will watch at least one day. I hope it's not going to impede my riding over the weekend as I heard they're expecting over 150 auditors... Wow. :o

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:01 pm

Thanks Exvet, 89F probably seems laughable 'hot' to you guys out there but it's dang hot for here. I'm hoping they call coats even though I love wearing mine. Have a grand time in the canyon!

LSP How's his feet coming along? I'll be interesting in how you take in Warwick. I listen to his podcasts and while he can get a little too 'woo-woo' (his words) for me I do find him refreshing in his horsemanship ideals.

Flight

Postby Flight » Wed Jul 13, 2022 11:33 pm

LIpsmackerpony - I've followed Warwick Schiller for years, it's worth watching if you can. He's a bit 'male' to me but will introduce ideas and things you may haven't noticed in horses before. Anna Blake is another that's totally changed how I think and see stuff with horses.

Kyra's mum - PIVO are on sale at the moment. If your phone is compatible, definitely worth getting one. Heaps cheaper than soloshot/pixio. Not as reliable at times, but if you're patient you figure out the best spot etc.

Ding was lame for ages, 6 weeks all up. Did xrays. Eventually found a hole in his foot down deep next to his frog. Whether it was an abscess or a puncture, not sure. A good few weeks of poulticing and dressings to try and keep it clean and I've just started riding him now.

dingfoot.jpg
dingfoot.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 113818 times

So Norsey had to step up and be a working equitation horse. He did ok, but didn't want to go over the bridge so we got eliminated. The judge kindly let me lead him over, so he went over in the speed round.

PrelimKY1-6.jpeg
PrelimKY1-6.jpeg (81.55 KiB) Viewed 113818 times

I'm keeping up with the forum, reading everyone's progress. Just been smashed with covid, wow never been so sick in my adult life, still a bit sick. Thought I was pretty lucky not to get it until now. No idea where I got it from! We still wear masks at work and I just don't go anywhere else.
I was looking forward to my next clinic with my instructor before she moves back to europe. Was so keen to watch 4 days of horses, not go to work etc. Then covid got me. So depressing. My instructor did come to me and give me my lessons, she drove her car to the end of my arena, sat in her car and we talked via bluetooth. Worked well, absolutely no contact. But how I did it I'm not sure! It was sooo hard to get out of bed (early morning lessons, 2 degrees C ) and saddle up. I slept for the rest of the days afterwards. But it was so worth it!! Great lessons :) I set up my pivo and she voice recorded inside the car, and sent me the audio file. I matched it up with my pivo video so I have awesome recordings of the lessons. With my covid foggy brain, I really needed it.

I've noticed no Sue B for a while??? Is she still around?

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jul 14, 2022 12:29 am

Flight, I hope you get back to normal. Gosh, it sounds terrible.

Aleuronx, there have been a couple of helpful things from Warwick that I used in the past. Cool. I don't know that I want to watch an entire demonstration, but he has some great tools/help for some issues. Biting was one of them.

I found some canter from the clinic that I liked. I wish we had done more, but hoping for that next time if I can do my hw correctly. I need to bend him more in the canter and allow with the outside hand. Blurry screen shots attached. Including one showing the issue with my circles, when I come off the wall, I allow him go through/fall onto the inside shoulder, both ways. We have a long history of doing it to the right and at home we've swapped sides. We reverted back to old habits at the clinic but captured the new falling into the left shoulder here. He was much better all weekend going to the left, this was rare, but it's a good moment for me to to remember to push him out with my inside leg before I start the circle.
Attachments
Screenshot 2022-07-12 8.41.11 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-07-12 8.41.11 PM.png (166.09 KiB) Viewed 113813 times
Screenshot 2022-07-13 8.11.13 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-07-13 8.11.13 PM.png (168.43 KiB) Viewed 113813 times
Screenshot 2022-07-12 8.39.36 PM.png
Screenshot 2022-07-12 8.39.36 PM.png (174.56 KiB) Viewed 113813 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:59 am

Chantal, just a thought to add to your repertoire, I have found the when a horse is dropping the shoulder in corners that simply quickening the hind leg while asking the shoulder to wait works better than inside leg. A horse can displace its ribcage to the outside and still lower the shoulder so it's about shortening the base so that the horse distributes its weight evenly over four legs instead of overweighting the inside front. If you look at your pictures you will see that in the two where he is out of balance his trailing hind leg is way out behind and pointing away in the nice pic it's directly under. As always, if this does not seem logical or functional to you, ignore it.

Flight I am sorry to hear you were so unwell. I do hope you have no long term ill effects. Honestly I directly know more people who got Covid in the past month or so then the whole previous two years. I hope poor Ding heals well. Kimba is recovering from an abscess in her hoof but happily it only took a week.

Aleuronix so good that you were able to get her hormones stabilized. Being able to administer the mess yourself is a huge advantage I think.

Exvet a sibling pas de deux sound so fun. I hope you pull it off.

Kyras mom I am so happy my little thought might have helped a little along with all the work you have done.

LSP I too am curious about how his feet are looking.

Moutaineer that horse is lucky to have found you. He must really enjoy all the good care.

I know I do not comment or each person who posts and unlike flight I didn't even notice that sueB hadn't posted on a while. I hope everyone is well. It sounds stupid because we have not met in person but I am fond of all of you. I want you all to enjoy your riding and progress. And I appreciate the sharing of your experiences

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Thu Jul 14, 2022 11:34 am

Chisamba-that is most likely one of my big issues right now, in combination will allowing him to move. He's a big mover. So, outside leg? I really have to keep both legs on him at the canter right now as a proper canter is not easy for him/us (my lack of education/training is really showing). It's getting easier. Thank you. And this does make sense to me as I have been working on quickening his inside leg at the trot in figures. It's logical that we have the same issue at the canter.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:08 pm

Aleuronx and Chisamba, thank you for asking about how his feet are doing. We are coming to the end of his first cycle with this new farrier. I've been happy so far. I think without a doubt he started to move a bit better pretty instantly. I do plan to get some pictures before the farrier does him again and then after. I think it's important right now to keep track of how things are going. I was told it will be a bit of a gradual process though.

I'm glad to hear that many of you here find Warrwick Schiller so interesting. I will absolutely report back. I'm not a subscriber but I've watched this YouTube videos over the years. I have heard he can get a little "out there" these days but I have to say I have a lot of respect for a trainer like him, with such a big platform, to have an open mind and change how he does some things. I think that is a great sign of a horseman. We will see what I think when I see him in person! I actually reached out to see if there's a spot as I was told by the barn owner that somebody scratched. He said you had to be a subscriber for a number of years to get into the clinic. No worries as I think auditing might be more beneficial in the end anyways.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:16 pm

Another horse person on my radar that people might enjoy following, is Olivia Towers. She's a dressage rider, I believe she's in England? Anyways, I know she's one that's taking a step back and changed her relationship/how she works with her horses. She's not as established as someone like Warrwick Schiller but I really enjoy her honesty and vulnerability. She's on Instagram and Facebook although I think I like her Facebook account as she gets a little bit deeper into her ideas.

I know some of these people can get a little too out there but I enjoy some of the openness about it. I am definitely one that tries to really pay attention to my horse and think out of the box when I need to.. I think it can be hard, in a world that's so deep-seated in tradition. I can't work with these types full-time, just doesn't work for me but I love reading and thinking about things in a casual way.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:29 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Another horse person on my radar that people might enjoy following, is Olivia Towers. She's a dressage rider, I believe she's in England? Anyways, I know she's one that's taking a step back and changed her relationship/how she works with her horses. She's not as established as someone like Warrwick Schiller but I really enjoy her honesty and vulnerability. She's on Instagram and Facebook although I think I like her Facebook account as she gets a little bit deeper into her ideas.

I know some of these people can get a little too out there but I enjoy some of the openness about it. I am definitely one that tries to really pay attention to my horse and think out of the box when I need to.. I think it can be hard, in a world that's so deep-seated in tradition. I can't work with these types full-time, just doesn't work for me but I love reading and thinking about things in a casual way.

I wouldn't say she's not establoshed-
She's a very skilled rider and has shown GP and is a professional. Her NH ideas are very new but she's very successful in dressage on many horses.
She rides with Carl Hester and was a WS for CDJ- so very good training :lol:
I have never noticed her dressage needing a makeover (she's a good sympathetic rider) but I appreciate her journey. She struggles with mental health so it also might be a way to defuse her own stress.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 3:21 pm

Ryeissa wrote:
Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Another horse person on my radar that people might enjoy following, is Olivia Towers. She's a dressage rider, I believe she's in England? Anyways, I know she's one that's taking a step back and changed her relationship/how she works with her horses. She's not as established as someone like Warrwick Schiller but I really enjoy her honesty and vulnerability. She's on Instagram and Facebook although I think I like her Facebook account as she gets a little bit deeper into her ideas.

She's a very skilled rider and has shown GP and is a professional. Her NH ideas are very new but she's very successful in dressage on many horses.
I have never noticed her dressage needing a makeover (she's a good sympathetic rider) but I appreciate her journey. She struggles with mental health so it also might be a way to defuse her own stress.

Yes but what I meant is she's not really as much on a internet platform as someone like Warwick Schiller with his online courses and such. I know she has some training students and post a few things on Facebook and stuff but I don't think she really does the online courses and all that? Or not that I've seen. I agree she is always seemed to be a really sympathetic dressage rider. I followed her on Instagram before all the groundwork stuff. It's been fun watching her go through the journey. I just meant she's someone that's fun to follow although I'm not sure how much actual training advice she offers online.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:46 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:Aleuronx and Chisamba, thank you for asking about how his feet are doing. We are coming to the end of his first cycle with this new farrier. I've been happy so far. I think without a doubt he started to move a bit better pretty instantly. I do plan to get some pictures before the farrier does him again and then after. I think it's important right now to keep track of how things are going. I was told it will be a bit of a gradual process though.

That is fantastic news that he's moving better instantly!! It's been my experience that you're on the right path if that is the case when you make changes.

Warwick's podcasts are less about horsemanship and the videos he's done in the past but they do have that flavor but for lack of a better summary it's more about being present or mindful. He interviews people of all sorts and it can get pretty out there, at least for me but I appreciate his efforts to understand beyond.

If you guys haven't watched the movie "My Octopus Teacher" and interested in that mindfulness angle it's a great movie regardless.

I think the same of Olivia Towers comes back to with life and horses alike if you aren't learning and growing you are regressing. I think she found that with horses and is making changes to learn which is so refreshing to see in a professional.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:08 am

Well, phew... it's hot here and unusually humid as we had a significant rainstorm last night (which I'm really not complaining about!) My ride time is normally around noon, so I'm a complete wet noodle by the time I'm done.

What with the wet and the earth disturbance from the construction around the barn, the biting flies are out in force, as well.

(The discovery was made last week that all the water lines to barn and indoor area had to be replaced. As a result, a vast trackhoe has been trenching out the laneway which is about 12ft above one side of the outdoor arena. It's been "interesting...")

Potters has been very good about the whole thing, really. We had a moment yesterday when one of the workers forgot himself and jumped off the bank into the arena with no warning, which got exciting for a couple of minutes. (Trackhoe driver Tony (my vet's brother) was impressed I stayed on, but it was a 2-ibuprofen night, for sure...) But we recovered ourselves and had a good ride.

One of the many, many things we are working on at the moment is forward without nagging. I've had to take off my spurs as Mr. Delicate Chestnut rubs at the sight of them with his fine summer coat and the level of sweatiness that is going on. I'm sure it is very good for me, but ooof... He really needs to be a bit more self-propelled.

By the time I get home and process myself through the shower, all I want is a nap. But I'm quite busy with work all of a sudden and need to actually focus and be creative in the afternoons!

Today we ran through the 3.1 test and were happy with the result. The extended canter was somewhat fatally interrupted by Tony suddenly waving the trackhoe bucket around as we passed, (sharp intake of breath from my trainer through my headset,) but we managed to get it back together before the next movement and continue on.

The single flying changes are just there, now, which is gratifying, and our walk pirouettes are pretty spot on. That endlessly long HP is quite nice as long as I can keep the forward. (I realize sitting here now that I forgot the rein back...)

I really need to work on keeping my butt in the saddle through the extended trot, however. I think I'm becoming a clothes pin, though God knows how I have the muscle tone at that point in the test as I'm more or less struggling to stay alive.

I think I shall watch some videos this evening and see if I can get a visual in my brain before I go back and do it all again tomorrow.

Onwards and upwards!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:45 am

Sounds like some extra excitement at the barn Moutaineer! I suppose it's good practice for the unexpected that might happen at a show.

Flight, sorry you've been sick, and hats off for struggling through to do your socially distanced lesson. Glad you have Norsey to step and and hope Ding is back at it soon.

LSP, glad things are looking up with the new farrier. I'll be interested to hear your experience with the WS clinic. I have not dug into any of his stuff, but maybe someday I'll have the time.

I took Tesla to the vet today (along with an Arabian mare who is usually her enemy, but became fast friends for the duration of the trip). Vet agreed that she just has stiffness and bruising in her shoulder and advised Previcox and several days of tack walking, and then introducing trot work over a few days and seeing how it goes. I'm really hoping to have her back to full strength by the end of the month when my instructor will be back in town.
Keep calm and canter on.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jul 15, 2022 3:51 pm

Lipsmackerpony88 wrote:
Ryeissa wrote:

Yes but what I meant is she's not really as much on a internet platform as someone like Warwick Schiller with his online courses and such. I know she has some training students and post a few things on Facebook and stuff but I don't think she really does the online courses and all that? Or not that I've seen. I agree she is always seemed to be a really sympathetic dressage rider. I followed her on Instagram before all the groundwork stuff. It's been fun watching her go through the journey. I just meant she's someone that's fun to follow although I'm not sure how much actual training advice she offers online.

Ok, I wasn't sure what you meant by established- but right, she's not online in that same way..... she does with for FEI as far as an influencer which is great, and of course her youtube channel. But her work is mostly actual training at her barn and locally in the UK. She has had online courses realated to mindset. It will be interesting to see if she expands into the NH space.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 10:04 pm

Well just as I was cooling Lynx out, Warwick Schiller walked into the arena and asked me where the barn owner was. I admit I was a little starstruck inside ha ha.

I'm so looking forward to the clinic. I'm not sure if I'll be able to watch tomorrow but I'm definitely going to watch most of the day Sunday and we'll report back.

I rode Lynx in spurs for the first time. The trainers have rode him a spurs but I have not. The idea wasn't so much for more forward but to use for more engagement/precision in my aids in the lateral work. The trainer did say She thought my leg looked even quieter than normal which was because I was wanting to be careful of not using the spur for forward or depending on it. ;)

We rode in the indoor arena for the first time in at least two months. He's always extra spooky in there and I'll admit it's a lot on me mentally. I do just feel like I have to manage him every step. I'm waiting for a breakthrough with the spooking but it just seems extra hard in that indoor arena. Outside he's usually pretty dang good.

On that note I did just grab him some magnesium (without any calming elements to it I tried a different one and it made him lethargic) as well as some extra vitamin E. I thought that both of those would be reasonable to try. He's only been on the magnesium for like a day though so I'll have to see in the next two weeks.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jul 16, 2022 12:49 am

Well I’m stoked with how Joplin’s right lead canter is coming. We’ve finally crossed the hump of yes you can stay released and more upright in your shoulders and hind end under. She had a bit of I don’t wanna where I had to say here are the parameters stay within them. Spectacular canter then! We are having to ride in between storms and heavy downpours almost daily. It’s not as hot temperature wise but it oh so sticky! Bleh. Working Gaila in hand and riding bareback some.

We’ve been horse shopping too. Found two this week. One especially perked the interest but she was pulled from the market second we go back Sunday for second ride. FancyQH pony that’s kid safe which is what Juliet’s owner needs

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 16, 2022 3:17 am

There are a few blessed days when I feel like I am really learning how to ride. Today was one of those days. What, might one ask, was working. Uphill half halts without loss of energy. Voila. Why were they working? Despite a full day teaching I wanted to ride, so I was hacking while teaching. My student has a self defeating habit of low wide hand rhythmic left right left right " half halts " which rewards her with a horse that rounds and yields but is very on the forehand. I finally said stop. And I demonstrated how carrying ones hand encourages the horse to carry itself, then I individualized each thing so she could see the effect. A little inside flexion. Check. Response to the leg. Check. Outside rein not wide. She didn't see it. OK outside rein thinking toward the center, and Boom. Uphill half half, now look, you can develop the collection in canter by simply making sure the horse gives the correct response to each individual aid . Now look if you have the inside leg keeping the jump and then outside leg maintaining the position, you could pirouette if you want to. And there it was, that working pirouette.

I am still proud of my girl.

So the question I ask you, is should I ride my test in the show as if I was trying to demonstrate how to, rather than ride as if I am being judged, could I pull it off?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:02 am

An interesting question, Chisamba! When is the show? Do you have time to dry run it a few times both ways?

I shall be interested in what you decide to do and how it goes, and whether I can apply it to my own showing. I think I could see having less tension in my ride if I reframed/refocused it from "judgement" to "demonstration."

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Jul 17, 2022 4:56 am

Other than it being hot…blech…Kyra is just being a joy to ride. Eager to go to work, nicely forward and being softer in the contact than she has been in a long time. The saddle change seems good. The treed saddle does give more area of weight distribution. She didn’t object to the treeless but seems just a little freer and supple in the treed saddle. The problem I was having in the Prestige last year seems to have been my big butt :P which I have made somewhat smaller (-16 lbs).

Today I worked transitions in trot and did a couple big 3 loop serpentines with a halt over CL, rein back 5 steps then immediately trot off. Her left lead canter just felt super today. The best in a long, long time. Last ride I started some counter canter work. An instructor I used to take lessons with used this pattern for starting CC. Pick up the CC on the long side then 1/2 circle CC then across the diagonal returning to true canter. He stated that picking up the CC on the straight allows you to balance it before the 1/2 circle then they are really happy to return to true canter on the diagonal. She handled it well both directions although left lead isn’t as supple or balanced as right lead (surprise…not). Today felt better than yesterday so already it seems to be helping. I got a lovely medium trot after we had some discussion about anticipation. I am having to ask on the straight about 5 feet off the rail. Talk about anticipation…she feels me starting to gather her up to ask for the medium and when I turn on the diagonal she takes off…before I ask. I am going to have to be careful using the diagonal too much. Her little brain is way ahead of me sometimes. Getting her to wait for my instructions has been a lifelong challenge. I finished with our ride up the hill and she survived the big fans in the owner’s barn and the goat standing in the door. Lots of extracurricular activity at this barn for her to get used to which is good.

SF, I am glad Tesla in on the mend. I liked your little canter grids for Annabelle. That would be a humongous challenge for Kyra. She had never quite figured out canter poles and gets super tense. I have kind of given up on those, especially since the current barn has a whopping 4 poles available. I might have to drag a couple out and try again.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 17, 2022 1:08 pm

Kyras_Mom wrote:SF, I am glad Tesla in on the mend. I liked your little canter grids for Annabelle. That would be a humongous challenge for Kyra. She had never quite figured out canter poles and gets super tense. I have kind of given up on those, especially since the current barn has a whopping 4 poles available. I might have to drag a couple out and try again.

It's a big step forward for A. Last year she definitely could not have managed those. She would either break to a trot or get flat and try to fly out of there. Then I would get in my own head and do something weird to throw her off one stride before the cavaletti. I think riding Tesla has helped me with that.

Tesla was wanting to trot yesterday, so I let her for a few minutes. I asked an experienced fellow boarder to watch and she said she couldn't see any unevenness, but we'll stick to very light work for the next week just to be sure. I think the walk emphasis will be good for her anyway. I haven't done much walk work on the bit with her, so she needs to learn that it's part of the job, and we did some good straightening work in walk yesterday so it won't just be lost time. I was watching her go in the pasture yesterday (after I turned Annabelle out, who didn't want to be pestered and almost kicked her again :roll: ). Her canter is looking a lot better and she did two clean lead changes, which are usually non-existent, or only accompanied with a huge leap.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:32 pm

OK…I tried poles…two…one on the opposite sides of the circle. OMG you would have thought I was asking her to jump the moon instead of canter over a ground pole. I don’t know why that elicits such anxiety. I was long reining her as I just didn’t feel up to riding this morning. I finally got through to her calm down and think about it a bit. I did some lateral work and half steps walking behind her and those were good. We finished with some Spanish walk and I was really pleased with that. She was actually striding forward with some balance instead of stepping wide behind and lagging with her hind legs. It wasn’t even “hot” yet but I was dripping with sweat and am so over the hot weather but I don’t have much say over that.

Susan
Last edited by Kyras_Mom on Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:27 pm

Well I watched a few hours of the Warwick Schiller clinic going to have to say that as far as a clinic,I was not impressed. That's not to say that his ideas and methods were not good. I just wonder if it's the type of thing that doesn't transfer well in a clinic. I will say that I was only able to watch day two and not any of day one so maybe I was missing something. But for the few hours that I watched it was mostly standing around talking while the participants just stood or walked around for the majority of their rides. Very little instruction going on almost non-existent. Lots of lecturing and metaphors which would have been fine if we had at least something to watch to go with it.

I'm not sure that I really took much away at all from it. What was a little disappointing was there was a few moments that happened And it would have been really cool to see how he would have addressed it. For example at the end of her ride one lady's horse completely ran off from her and the indoor arena and was loose. I've been trying to put the halter on and instantly the horse was out of there. He had his back turn the whole time and was oblivious of the horse loose in the arena. Then another lady was trying to get on her horse and he would not stand at the mounting block. She eventually gave up and tried to get on him just from the ground. Well it worked it took a little for him to stand that way too.

Instead Warwick talked about how young horses can walk like they a drunk (not straight) and then a lot of people think it's about balance but really it's about where the horse really wants to be. Usually when they are walking towards other horses or the gate they will walk straight. So He talked about making the horse work where it wanted to go and rest at the end of their end of the arena. But again he didn't have any of the riders actually do this so it's just him talking for 20 minutes about it. Again, I will continue to enjoy some of his videos but I don't think I would attend a clinic again.

On another note I had an awesome pole work lesson on Lynx this morning. It takes a few times but he was starting to really figure out his feet over some cavaletti and poles. Sometimes at first he decides it's easier to canter it which can be kind of funny. But we did get some nice trot work.

blob

Postby blob » Sun Jul 17, 2022 9:50 pm

Sounds like the auditing experience was more valuable than a riding experience would have been, LSP--that's good to know! Pole lesson sounds really fun!

Chisamba--excited to hear how the show goes!

Kyras_mom--cantering poles really can be so dramatic for some horses. Back when I was jumping in my teens, I used to ride a horse that was perfectly fine and reasonable jumping but if you set up a course of canter poles, he was like a fire breathing dragon. It was so silly.

Flight--Norsey looks great. Sorry Ding has not been 100% lately. I had been missing your updates, it was great to see a post from you.

Chantal--the pictures look lovely and it sounds like it was a productive clinic. I know personally I want to be able to go into a clinic and be the way we are on our best day and build from there. But that isn't what usually happens. I usually go into a clinic and everything goes wrong and we are dealing with our most basic problems, sometimes even ones I thought i put away already, but if you still leave with good tools in the toolkit it's a win.

Speaking of clinics, Albrecht Heidmann is coming back next weekend and I'm taking RP again. We have been trying to do our homework of forward into the contact so hopefully there's some improvement and Albrecht won't have to give me the exact same lesson again. This time we are aiming to do 2 rides instead of just one, so hopefully also a chance to build from day one. I'm also looking forward to auditing as I found it quite helpful/interesting last time and it's always nice to watch riders you know and your instructor be instructed!

MM and I are starting to do some more real work. Nothing crazy and still trying to build back stamina and strength but before it was more of a 'let's just do some trotting and cantering and see how it goes' and now I am starting to ask her to use her body a bit better in that trot and canter. I have to admit i'm struggling a bit right now with the line of how much to push her. Obviously a perfectly healthy horse's breathing rate goes up when they are in work and that is normal and expected. And if I don't push her heart rate up she won't get fit and higher heart rate will probably come with higher breathing rate. So, I'm trying to remind myself that the goal is not for her brething not to pick up when she's being ridden, but that I need to monitor to make sure it is coming down ok and that breathing rate is appropriate for the activity. Of course the latter is the hard part because I keep second guessing what is acceptable for the activity.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:56 am

Chisamba wrote:There are a few blessed days when I feel like I am really learning how to ride. Today was one of those days. What, might one ask, was working. Uphill half halts without loss of energy. Voila. Why were they working? Despite a full day teaching I wanted to ride, so I was hacking while teaching. My student has a self defeating habit of low wide hand rhythmic left right left right " half halts " which rewards her with a horse that rounds and yields but is very on the forehand. I finally said stop. And I demonstrated how carrying ones hand encourages the horse to carry itself, then I individualized each thing so she could see the effect. A little inside flexion. Check. Response to the leg. Check. Outside rein not wide. She didn't see it. OK outside rein thinking toward the center, and Boom. Uphill half half, now look, you can develop the collection in canter by simply making sure the horse gives the correct response to each individual aid . Now look if you have the inside leg keeping the jump and then outside leg maintaining the position, you could pirouette if you want to. And there it was, that working pirouette.

I am still proud of my girl.

So the question I ask you, is should I ride my test in the show as if I was trying to demonstrate how to, rather than ride as if I am being judged, could I pull it off?

I had one of those rides and the same 'lesson' with Junior just before I left for the canyon; so, I think I know exactly what you mean. I think in order to answer your question I have one for you. What are your long term goals? If it's to get to FEI, ride as if you you were demonstrating how to.....that is training. If you're going for awards or a short-term goal then ride as if you're being judged. The former isn't easy and you may have to take it on the chin......but, I am confident you know what I mean :)

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Jul 18, 2022 2:07 pm

I get chastised if I don't compete like training, plus I think horses are smart enough to get to know the difference and it can backfire if you don't 'ride' within the test.

Which pretty much sums up our ride from the show this weekend. If you aren't winning you're learning! Yesterday we learned :lol:

It was hot, 90F so coats were thankfully waived fairly early on and most took advantage of that. This was a new competition venue for us, but Kora arrived and settled well to snack by the trailer. Unfortunately for our ring the warm-up was in their indoor arena. This indoor has stadium seating on one short side, prizes where being handing out on that end with a table and people milling about, both top doors at B and E were open and had tents set up directly outside for the volunteers so as you rode by all you saw was seated heads and the outdoor warmup was outside one long side where cantering horses were kicking up dust devils in the hot dry footing. So pretty much Kora's nightmare situation. We walked a long time to try and align the hamster on the wheel and with a passing thought to just scratch I pulled myself together and gave it a go. We managed some respectable walk/trot/canter work but clearly distracted and worried about all the goings on and horses coming and going.

As I made my way outside to ride our test I had realized this was going to be a character building day. Goals mentally changed to be able to influence her in the test. Just an idea of how much was going on, I gave a mighty loud cluck during a canter circle and judge did not either notice or comment. Ended up with a 61.9% for a test with tense trot, no stretchy part of stretchy circle to speak of and a stumble out of the canter lengthen to botch the transition. The best part? We ended up 3rd as apparently not the only ones to have struggles in the class.

I was pleased to get some influence during the ride and it will only serve her better in the future. Also learned that perhaps not the best venue for her and we will cross it off our dance card for September.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jul 18, 2022 3:17 pm

Lots of inspiring progress-- well done, everyone! And my condolences for those working with lameness/"off" issues. Horses, man.

Will say that showing well is a whole separate skillset from training, and atrophies with disuse. Speaking as someone who hasn't showed in a while and is looking at a Sept show with trepidation (already).

Theme for this month is survival. Temperatures continue to be brutal, with the 10-day outlook having a minimum daytime temperature of 98F (continuing our 8-week trend). While to some extent it's workable so long as you ride in the morning or very late evenings after the sun goes down, it's still just stress on the horses to be existing at 100+F temperatures day in and day out. So rides are short and targeted, or low-impact jaunts around the field.

Some bright spots: made a breakthrough in the canter by schooling big 245-degree pirouettes on a roughly star-shape ~30ish meter figure: I saw the lightbulb go off for him in how much rocking back over his haunches he needed to do to keep the tempo and rhythm while turning. And it was repeatable! Downside: my abs hurt like crazy the next morning.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:59 pm

The barn continues to be a complete and utter shitshow. The outdoor arena irrigation pipe blew up overnight and we now have a giant swimming pool.

We had a rather tense, hot ride indoors. But we rode.

Trainer is out of action again. Don't know how long for this time.

Fun times.

demi

Postby demi » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:32 pm

I was keeping up with you all until a week ago Monday when my DH had a stroke. The prognosis is good but it will be a long haul. he’ll be in ICU at least for another week. I have good friends helping care for the horses at home, and Besa is in the best care possible with my trainer. My schedule has been hectic for the last 8 days as he’s in a hospital in Austin and the traffic to and from is often an hour each way and crazy. He is stable and things are settling down so I may even be able to start lessons on Besa again by the end of this week. My trainer said she “adores that mare” and she’s giving her special attention while I’m gone. Just wanted to update….

Return to “Dressage Training”