A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: The Heat is ON: July/August Goals and Progress

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:09 pm

Resized.jpg
Saiph halt
Resized.jpg (71.49 KiB) Viewed 62299 times
Once at the end of a show where I had a few horses the judge told me. " whatever the trick is to a good half you have it". I choose to believe that opinion lol.

Showing off my color choice since it is now legal.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:33 pm

You two make a lovely picture, Chisamba! And that's quite the halt.

LSP88-- sounds like a great lesson! I use SI to HP or LY a lot with my guy who is built very similarly to yours, and let me tell you: it helps a ton. It's my go-to warmup right now because it's a low-impact way to get the right response to a lot of useful aids-- bending, shoulder control, activating the outside hind, the whole works. And I love that you're out there having a blast with Lynx!

Speaking of, have a(nother) Queso brag. My mom is in the market for a horse as her herd is aging out of competition viability. Queso's breeder has a couple 3-5 yo mares for sale, so I made her sit on Queso to see if she a) likes the way he goes, and b) wants something similar for herself. And, guys, it was the cutest thing in the world. I don't get to see Queso going under saddle very much-- I'm his only rider, and we don't have mirrors-- and he was absolutely peak cuteness trotting and cantering around in his little round 3rd-almost-4th level outline with my mom just beaming ear to ear as she piloted him through some half pass and flying changes. Almost brought tears to my eyes. I know I'm biased, but everyone needs a Queso: he just puts a smile on everyone's face.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jul 25, 2022 5:57 pm

Ponichiwa that is so cheesy. (Wink). You know , Queso, cheese . How nicev that your boy was so rideable for your ma

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:27 pm

Chisamba wrote:Ponichiwa that is so cheesy. (Wink). You know , Queso, cheese . How nicev that your boy was so rideable for your ma

He definitely puts the "fun" in "queso fundido"!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:17 am

Sounds perfect Ponichiwa... just make sure she doesn't try to steal him!

Chisamba, sounds like an overall positive show even with some very odd scoring at times--lovely picture!

And, you got to go do it. which would be more than I'm going to get to do this year by the look of things.

The only remotely possible show left here this year is in in a couple of weeks' time. It is an hour and a half away from the barn, out in the desert, and doesn't have any stalls left. I can't see showing Potters (especially for the first time) without going to school the day before--it's a bit of a spooky venue, I've shown there many times over the years. I can't see subjecting him to a total of 9 hours in the trailer in this brutal heat just to go ride around a strange ring for 2 tests with no coaching and no stall.

I think I'll save my money and see if the barn goes to Thermal in November.

Trainer's DH is doing better, but she's not committing to going to shows, understandably. She is, however, back to coaching and we had a good lesson today. Lots of lateral work at trot and canter to open up the shoulders and get softer topline, better connection and greater relaxation.

My battered self is recovering, if still rather bruised and scraped up, and I survived 45 minutes of quite hard work out in the sun. At least it was only in the 80's today rather than the 90's. And no construction work as it's a State Holiday here in Utah (Pioneer Day--the day when popular legend has it that Brigham Young and his band of Mormon Pioneers walked into the Salt Lake Valley and he said "This is the Place!" I think it's far more likely that Mrs. B Y said "I am not walking a step further. We are stopping here whether you like it or not.")

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 26, 2022 12:28 am

Moutaineer wrote:Sounds perfect Ponichiwa... just make sure she doesn't try to steal him!

Chisamba, sounds like an overall positive show even with some very odd scoring at times--lovely picture!

And, you got to go do it. which would be more than I'm going to get to do this year by the look of things.

The only remotely possible show left here this year is in in a couple of weeks' time. It is an hour and a half away from the barn, out in the desert, and doesn't have any stalls left. I can't see showing Potters (especially for the first time) without going to school the day before--it's a bit of a spooky venue, I've shown there many times over the years. I can't see subjecting him to a total of 9 hours in the trailer in this brutal heat just to go ride around a strange ring for 2 tests with no coaching and no stall.

I think I'll save my money and see if the barn goes to Thermal in November.

Trainer's DH is doing better, but she's not committing to going to shows, understandably. She is, however, back to coaching and we had a good lesson today. Lots of lateral work at trot and canter to open up the shoulders and get softer topline, better connection and greater relaxation.

My battered self is recovering, if still rather bruised and scraped up, and I survived 45 minutes of quite hard work out in the sun. At least it was only in the 80's today rather than the 90's. And no construction work as it's a State Holiday here in Utah (Pioneer Day--the day when popular legend has it that Brigham Young and his band of Mormon Pioneers walked into the Salt Lake Valley and he said "This is the Place!" I think it's far more likely that Mrs. B Y said "I am not walking a step further. We are stopping here whether you like it or not.")

Would that be favorite wife number 25, or 27 ?

As for this is the place, I believe a scout went ahead and described the place to him. And that is what this is the place meant, but of course in latter day Saint mythology it has taken on a inspiration from on high meaning.

I was a LDS for a couple of decades

khall

Postby khall » Tue Jul 26, 2022 2:40 pm

Well yesterday was a bit of a bust. Hauled Gaila first thing to vet still not ready to culture so brought home another lutalyse for Thursday. Got back to the farm and she had blood in the trailer. Looked like a small creature had been slaughtered. Got her out and she had overreached with her LH grabbing her LF tearing her bell boot leaving a nasty gash 3 inches long that was deep. Sigh $740 dollars later after I hauled her back to be stitched up she’s now on stall rest for 10 days. She hates stall rest. Thankfully she does not get too stupid just screams for her friend in the pasture.

Also the pony was not sound when flexed. Boarder was bummed trying to figure out how far to take it etc. vet loved him who is also a dressage rider knows what boarder needs thinks he’s worth doing some diagnostics see what’s going on but it’s mostly up to the owner as to where it all goes. The people who are marketing him have just been lovely to deal with. We will see.

We did finally get our hay cut. Jingles we all survive picking hay up out of the field in this horrid heat and humidity. Thankfully we do have help and DH and I agreed to limit it to 450 squares round the rest. Not looking forward to it tomorrow

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:13 pm

Oh Khall, what a day getting home from the vet and turning right back around for an emergency. I hope Gaila is good with her stall rest and heals up well.

Boy, I thought I got an early enough start to ride both mares before work today. Tesla was once again hard headed. She is not sure she has a left lead now. We did one nice polite circle and I was about to call it for the day when she stopped and then we got to hand gallop/counter canter left a few times, more hand galloping to the right, and finally onto the left lead starting to balance and give me her back. Thank dog I've been back to the gym and doing my core work. I'm going to be fit if she keeps it up with these intense hour long rides!
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:14 pm

Ponichiwa, Glad to hear that those exercises have helped the wonderful Queso so much! It definitely gives me motivation to continue with them since it's helped you guys so much!

Mountaineer, Glad that your trainer is doing better and that you're riding is going pretty well even if showing isn't working out. Fingers crossed for later in the season!

Khall, ugh I'm sorry to hear that! I hope she heals quickly. It's always something.

Well our weekend show just got dashed. I was having trouble with the entries anyways thank goodness because my daughter popped up positive with COVID. I could just have the trainer take him but unfortunately they don't have trailer space so I was going to haul. I'm just going to pass on the whole ordeal at this point. Hopefully my daughter doesn't get much worse than she is. This is the first time she's had it. No fun.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:04 pm

Khall, I hope Gaila behaves on stall rest and heals well.

Kyra has the hock sore from hell. Her stall is sufficiently bedded but at night, they like to lay in their pens which are sand. Tape won’t stick to her soft, slick hair…duct tape, Gorilla tape or Elastikon. I tried a generic Etsy hock shield and that didn’t stay on either and I don’t like to cinch them up as tight as they appear to have to be to stay up. I am currently trying Dr. Underwood’s horse medicine and it did look better today. It has been oozing blood since Sunday and today it was dry. That stuff looks like motor oil but hey, if it heals up the sore. I still have NuSkin I can try and was wondering if something like Skin Tac would give a place for tape to stick to. I had left her Shoo-fly leggings off her hinds thinking maybe they were altering how she gets up? Then the barn owner came in and said she was the only one not stomping at flies so they went back on. Her beat up left hind which is also the hock sore side was all swollen again. Concussion seems to make it swell so another reason the leggings went back on.

She is sound though thank goodness. She has been working really well. Last work on Sunday, we worked on CC and it really pulled together true lead.
Today and for then next forever it is supposed to be over 100. Today, I just got on her and did basic w/t/c for like 15 minutes after our walk warm-up. That is all I plan on doing for the rest of the week.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:24 am

I use skin tac for my Dexcom and infusion site. It would be worth a trail run I think
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:43 am

Functioning on the premise that the neck should be ",as supple as an elephants trunk " and after riding Saiph in her very tense state in her last class at the show, I rode each horse this week with the thought in mind. Did the horse remain supple through the exercise. I suppose I might have to define supple. To me it is without bracing anywhere from base of the neck to the jaw, and the answer was each time the horse was , shall we say, imperfect in the execution of an exercise we lost the elephant trunk feel. Various horses had different responses kimba gets heavy in the hand and her stiffness shows up in the jaw. Baby Lyndon lifts his neck and gets a braced under neck. Draft x Elvis pushes down, Saiph becomes a block, ribcage and neck makes riding feel as complicated as trying to spread cold butter on fresh bread.

So I began to very thoughtfully ask for a supple responsiveness every time I used the rein. Most common cause seemed to be response to leg aid. So I had to spend some time reminding, or explaining that the correct response to the leg is to remain supple AND respond to the leg.

I realize that it sounds like micro management but it had macro results on every level. The results? elasticity despite effort. I think perhaps I have been allowing some tension because the horse offered response and effort. I have had a light bulb moment where I realize I need to patiently teach elastic effort, supple response. The maximum difficulty for ask the of my own horses was counter canter. So we are reminded how important a rideable counter canter is for controllable predictable changes. Onward , and upward we go.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jul 28, 2022 7:23 am

Chisamba I love your above post so much. I want to engrave it on my brain.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jul 28, 2022 12:51 pm

mari wrote:Chisamba I love your above post so much. I want to engrave it on my brain.

Ditto that!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:21 pm

Yes…Chisamba has many training gems. She has helped me immensely with the “treading water” exercise. Kyra has been so much softer, more through and dare I say ‘happier’.
We are in the sweat box this week so I had a short ride this morning. It was already 90 degrees at about 10:30. I was going to just stick to walk but it felt stifling with the sun beating down so we did a bit of trot and canter to get a breeze going. My ride was like 20 minutes total. Her right lead canter was just dreamy. Granted, just working canter but I didn’t have to do anything but just sit there and smile. Someday, I will get left lead to match. I am still trying to figure out where the brace is coming from. It doesn’t seem to come from her jaw. She might be having some trouble supporting with her beat up left hind leg? But she has no trouble maintaining the lead. It seems like I have to work every stride just to get and keep the desired tempo and it does seem harder to get her to rock back onto her butt to the left. We need to have something to work on (like that is ever a problem with dressage :lol: ).

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:39 pm

I like that Chisamba, for me I add to that quality forward of whatever gait we’re in. I will try to keep this in mind for my test tomorrow!

We made it through the heatwave with early morning rides and fun times in the field. Kora had the beginning of the week off to recover and putt us in good stead for competition on Friday. It seems to have worked because she’s been phenomenal the past two days! Soft, easy contact and prompt to the aids. Thinking the play in the fields have been helping.

I still stabbed her with her hormone jab prior to competition instead of risking it after. :lol: Taking no chances!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jul 28, 2022 10:51 pm

Chisamba wrote:Functioning on the premise that the neck should be ",as supple as an elephants trunk " and after riding Saiph in her very tense state in her last class at the show, I rode each horse this week with the thought in mind. Did the horse remain supple through the exercise. I suppose I might have to define supple. To me it is without bracing anywhere from base of the neck to the jaw, and the answer was each time the horse was , shall we say, imperfect in the execution of an exercise we lost the elephant trunk feel. Various horses had different responses kimba gets heavy in the hand and her stiffness shows up in the jaw. Baby Lyndon lifts his neck and gets a braced under neck. Draft x Elvis pushes down, Saiph becomes a block, ribcage and neck makes riding feel as complicated as trying to spread cold butter on fresh bread.

So I began to very thoughtfully ask for a supple responsiveness every time I used the rein. Most common cause seemed to be response to leg aid. So I had to spend some time reminding, or explaining that the correct response to the leg is to remain supple AND respond to the leg.

I realize that it sounds like micro management but it had macro results on every level. The results? elasticity despite effort. I think perhaps I have been allowing some tension because the horse offered response and effort. I have had a light bulb moment where I realize I need to patiently teach elastic effort, supple response. The maximum difficulty for ask the of my own horses was counter canter. So we are reminded how important a rideable counter canter is for controllable predictable changes. Onward , and upward we go.

After several weeks of 5 lessons a week with an expert trainer, I am now just starting to understand suppleness, and responsiveness. And no, Chisamba, your description of supple responsiveness to the rein does not sound like Micro management. Thank you for your description because it fits with what I’ve been trying to learn over the last several weeks. It is not an easy concept for me, especially since I’ve been riding on my own for so long and have developed my own concepts, which were pretty much WRONG.

Okay, so having finally learned the feel when my horse is truly supple, today we did the most collected work I’ve ever done on a horse, and in the end, passage! It was so AWESOME! The really neat thing, was that when I did exactly what my trainer said, passage was just there. I was thrilled. I wanted to go straight home and hug my darling husband for making it possible for me to have this experience.

So now for the sad part. My wonderful DH passed away last Saturday. It was a roller coaster ride thinking he would make it to rehab and then finally realizing that the stroke had evolved beyond that possibility. He was so happy to be able to buy me the horse of my dreams and every time I ride her it will be in his honor. I am going to try to post the latest, lovely picture of him riding Rocky the day before the stroke.

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:14 pm

khall

Postby khall » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:01 am

Oh Demi I’m so sorry!! Virtual hugs to you.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:08 am

Oh no demi! My sincere condolences.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Fri Jul 29, 2022 12:51 am

{{{{Demi}}}}. I am so sorry. You have my sincere condolences.

Susan

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:00 am

Demi, So sorry. Thinking of you during this difficult time.

Josette

Postby Josette » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:34 am

Demi - Thinking of you and my sincere condolences.

Imperini
Herd Member

Postby Imperini » Fri Jul 29, 2022 1:39 am

I'm so sorry demi

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:00 am

Oh no, Demi. I'm so sorry.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:19 am

Oh Demi, I am so sorry.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 29, 2022 3:29 am

I am so very very sorry Demi.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:31 am

Oh, Demi. I'm so sorry. Thinking of you and sending you love.

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Fri Jul 29, 2022 4:57 am

Demi, I am so so sorry, virtual hugs to you, you seem to be a brave, strong lady, and how wonderful that your husband supported you in your endeavours, and you can ride Besa in his honour. Kia kaha.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Fri Jul 29, 2022 5:02 am

I’m so sorry. Demi. Stay strong and remember all the good times.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:50 am

Oh no Demi!! So very sorry. Thinking of you x

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Fri Jul 29, 2022 2:10 pm

Oh noooooo.....there are no words. So sorry. We appreciate the update.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:05 pm

Oh demi, what a shock. I’m so very sorry for your loss. May Besa bring you the joy in your DH’s honor

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jul 29, 2022 9:22 pm

Thank you for all your kind thoughts and condolences, dear DDBB friends. It means a lot to me. I am reading regularly again for the most part and will look for all of your progresses, ups and downs, and just day to day posts about you and your equine partners. Keep the posts coming.

I am back to 5 days a week on Besa. It is nice to have that routine, especially now. I ordered a Fager Sara titanium bit. My trainer tried one on her and we all really liked it. She also said it can be good to switch bits occasionally. Today I tried a Herm Springer loose ring double jointed snaffle that I used to use on Emma. At first it was hard to get Besa to take the contact but working through it was very interesting. At first both trainer and I decided that it was a no go. After about 20 minutes, Besa got very soft in the bridle and very expressive in her trot and canter, at which point trainer said it was definitely something we should stick with for a while. She was curious about it and rode Besa after my lesson. She definitely liked the bit and I even could see a nice difference in Besa’s self carriage. Anyway, that’s the news for today.

Tomorrow is a two day Leslie Morse clinic. I am not riding but will watch most of it. As it turned out, it will be all FEI riders and horses. My trainer has 4 rides tomorrow and 3 on Saturday. I looking forward to it.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Jul 29, 2022 11:40 pm

Your husband would be happy you are riding and getting out and about, to be sure, Demi.

Our outdoor arena has been scraped, the base comes in Tuesday, which has to then be compacted, and then we should get the new footing laid within a week or so. Its sitting there in giant bales, waiting to be mixed with sand.

In the mean time we are indoors. Potters and I have had to have a bit of a meeting of minds about spooking at open doorways in the past couple of days. I got totally fed up with him yesterday and finally really got on his case about it as I do not at this point think it is fear or discomfort on his part, and I feel I now have the tools to deal with it without inciting a dangerous rebellion.

I do really have to ride full-on focused and forward,which is not a bad thing. I realize that I haven't been providing that level of confident leadership to him and have been babying him and allowing him to set the agenda.

Not any more. "No more Mickey Mouse riding!" As Mette would say!

Its exhausting to keep up for a whole lesson though...

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:06 am

Demi, I am so sorry to hear of your husband's passing. What a shock and loss. :( I'm glad you have the nice memory of him enjoying riding Rocky so recently.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:08 am

Demi, So glad to hear you are still writing and enjoying your new girl.

Mountaineer, can I ask what you're doing with Potter's to get his focus during his spooking? I ask because I always think it sounds like him and Lynx are very similar mentally with how they spook. And I often feel like it is not true fear (sometimes it is truly surprise) but often merely being distracted.

I do find I have to ride him every step of the way. That does not mean that there cannot be times of relaxation but some rides you just have to keep asking him different questions.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:19 am

LSP, he has to be far more engaged with me than with any external influence. So he doesn't have the chance to get into a spook. You need to stop it before it starts.

Here are some (somewhat stream of consciousness!) notes from lessons yesterday and today not necessarily in any order...

Lots of lateral work--for instance, shoulder in through the problem area and give him something to do rather than just expecting him to go straight forward past it.

Steep leg yields in a forward walk across the whole diagonal, done correctly and straight with me in the center of the saddle, evenly weighted, to get him through and on the aids and thinking about me.

Transitions, changes of direction, patterns done with disciplined correctness on both our parts. For instance, trot shoulder in down the long side from H, 20 meter circle at E, haunches in to K. Walk shoulder in through the short side (past the door) leg yield in walk from F to E, trot to H, walk shoulder in to M, rinse and repeat until you have a rhythm going and he goes through the whole thing a few times without raising an eyebrow at A and C. Throw in the odd 4 loop serpentine. Change up the 20 meter circles to canter, or trot haunches in or shoulder in.

A lot of focus on my position, am I truly sitting deep and upright and centered and not pinching with my inner thigh so he can't joggle me out of position but I'm not grabbing at him. Are my hands still and thinking forward, not fussing or nipping at him, so I can push him onto a steady contact and get that cycling energy going. Is my rein length appropriate for this?

Am I thinking positively forward and staying mentally ahead of him? (This is a big one for me. Like most timid older AAs I have a tendency to ride with the handbrake on. Yesterday he got my dander up and I was just over it, and told him so in no uncertain terms, which shook his world a bit, I think.)

And forward, busy, active. Not pottering along on autopilot so it's easy for him to fixate on things to find "interesting." He can do "interesting" on his own time.

And permission to growl at him if he starts to think about getting behind my leg and reacting to something. (I think I may have used some very Anglo-Saxon words in front of my saintly trainer yesterday... oops.)

It doesn't feel pretty and light and reins of silk-y, it feels like sweaty hard work and it's mentally challenging too. But I can see and feel that it's been a bit of a breakthrough in our relationship and in my riding--and I think he appreciates the leadership.

He's certainly not holding it against me so far. We'll have to see what Monday brings! I hope it's not back to square one again.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 1:36 am

Mountaineer, thank you so much for taking that time to write all that out for me. Reading it it's certainly does seem like him and Lynx have similar personality. That does sound pretty similar to what we do as far as lots of lateral, changes of direction and such. But this is very helpful as a reminder of where I need to keep my own standards up too. Sometimes I let him dictate our path a little too much. Such as if we were doing a serpentine, turning a little early to avoid coming straight to the spooky stuff. Or riding off the track a lot.

I do tend to be a little hesitant to hit the forward button when I know he's kind of in the middle of a spooky mindset. But it's so often the answer, isn't it?

I hope you have a great ride on Monday! I'm hoping my daughter will be healthy and then I will stay COVID free and can go Sunday. Lynx had 3 training rides this week and 4 last week so he should feel pretty dang tuned up when I get back there!

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:58 am

Good for you Mountaineer. These silly ones that see things in the bushes or corners. Kyra is so freaking easily distracted and loses relaxation then I can’t get any decent work. With Kyra, I feel a lot of it is baiting me into reacting to whatever she is reacting to. Unfortunately, a lot of the time, I buy into it and confirm to her that yes, something is in the bushes that might get her. I finally had a CTJ session with Kyra back in May or June and it worked. I actually started RIDING her instead of reacting to her. I didn’t get nasty but I insisted on prompt reaction to the leg. It took about 4-5 repetitions of the exercise I chose and she decided that I could direct the program. It would be nice to get the nice soft drapey rein but yeah, that doesn’t happen very often. She has been pretty good since then. We have had a few shorter episodes but I have been able to get her back on track most of the time (the doe and 2 fawns last week were a bit of a challenge).

Susan

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:22 pm

Now that I've had a good nights sleep I can write about yesterday's show. 4am wake-ups are not my thing although nice to have the ride done and home by early afternoon.

Long and short of it is Kora was amazing. I love this venue and I'm so pleased that she is loving it as well. Arrived chilled and snacking by trailer until it was time to tack up. Super nonchalant in the warm-up with lots of other horses and honestly rode just like at home. I even was able to get out of the tack in 2 point to do some big canters around to open her up. Like so cool and fun. She even managed with a horse/rider that were just in the warm-up schooling and continually did a circle near to us with little to no outside rein so the horse would not resist the gravitational pull toward Kora. She completely ignored him while working and then on a walk break when he inevitably came close the mare back ears and then ears and snake neck the second time. I went to wait by the arena as I was next up at that point and figured the hind legs were next.

It was the best test yet. Not one mistake, she was rideable, soft, supple and forward, we had stretchy trot and pow-pow lengthenings (as I call them). I even bloody rode my corners in walk, trot and canter! I am over the moon with how lovely and FUN she was. Lots of treats back at the trailer.

As is the way with dressage judging last show we had a tight, difficult ride and get a 61% and this ride that was so spot on we get a 63%. Super pleased with my horse and living on that feeling regardless of score. We do have a 3rd place ribbon that my barnmate who is showing there today is grabbing for us.

I love just being able to enjoy my horse, this summer has been so sweet.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:55 pm

Aleuronx, all that joy just really oozes from your post. I'm so glad it went so well. That's always the goal!

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:38 pm

Glad you had such a good show! It is tough when you think it's so much better but the scoring is tougher.

I had lessons on both girls yesterday and today. We started at 6 am due to the 100+ heatwave we're in. I am exhausted. Tesla has been going through another one of her phases; breaks just aren't good for her. She actually started off pretty polite today, and we got some nice work. We got her working off her hind legs more in the trot and she had me sitting, which made me realize how much MORE core strength I am going to need. I thought I was doing pretty good until today, but I just couldn't smoothly absorb that power from the hind leg, dang. The canter was even pretty good both directions until we threw in a little more of a CC loop than she's used to, and she decided left lead canter was over for the day. I watched the video and it was about a solid 15 minute battle. My instructor finally handed me two whips, and with one on each side, Tesla had a sudden change of heart and cantered off. We did a victory lap and called it a day.

This is what it looks like when she is powering off in trot not wanting to canter. Yes, she gets a little buried; she's very tricky because as soon as I bring her up, she puts a slight brace in her back and fights against my leg, and she's just so dang strong. Anyway, we got it done, and I hope we cooked that can of worms, but I think I'm going to ride with two whips for a while.

Good lesson on Annabelle too, though I was exhausted and I think she was a little tired from yesterday's ride plus the heat. We worked on developing bounce and slowness in the trot with some close trot poles. Another exercise she said is from Conrad Schumacher, was trot, halt, reinback a couple steps, TOF off the inside leg, trot a straight line and repeat. It is tricky that we are trying to get her quicker with the hind legs and also slower simultaneously. We're also doing canter in shoulder fore to build the collection. Haven't watched the video yet, but it should be interesting. I'm going to give the poor girl a couple days off since it will be much cooler by Tuesday as well.
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:51 pm

I understand Aleuronx. My last two rides I have been stupidly happy with my horse. And today…I got left lead canter sorted out and it felt very close to the right lead. It took a couple mighty half halts then boom, it was there. I was doing transitions within the gait to a few strides of more collected canter then forward to a brisk working canter. I got to thinking about left lead canter and I think my hip issue has been affecting it somewhat. I am still having something going on in the lateral left hip and I tend to slide left. Today, I made sure I weighted the right stirrup to straighten up my balance. Trot work I did some baby sitting trot (more for me to see how well my butt tolerates sitting trot) and worked SI to half pass then did transitions from baby trot to working trot and making sure she stayed in front of the leg. I am doing pretty short works because of the heat but I got there a little earlier today and it wasn’t too bad.

When she works like she has this week, I just smile :mrgreen: .

Susan
Last edited by Kyras_Mom on Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:11 pm

Demi I’m so glad you are back in lessons and having such a blast riding Bess. What a gift your DH gave you.

Chisamba stunning picture!

Aleuronx sounds like a most excellent show! Congratulations on having a wonderful time with Kora.

SF sounds like you are making progress with T even if she back peddles some with time off. Have you ever ridden her twice a day? That always made Rip a much better horse to ride!

It does sound like some good progress from so many.

My update is two fold. Gaila is handling her stall rest just fine with one caveat she likes to chew her bandage. Grr. She does not appreciate wraps on any of her legs ever. Having to redo it more regularly than I had wanted.

And Joplin’s canter is becoming more alike R and L. Happy with that! Got to ride out in one of the hay fields today for a lighter ride. One new thing is she is using her sideways ability against me a bit. She can get crooked in all kinds of ways so I have to really think hind legs forward and ride them so. Not something my WBs would ever do!! Too much work for them. Canter felt awesome engaged balanced with good starting collection both sides.

Trying to not sweat to death here. So freaking muggy every day. Stay cool
all and happy riding!

blob

Postby blob » Sat Jul 30, 2022 10:16 pm

Demi--I am so sorry to hear this update. I have been thinking of you. Grateful you have Besa.

I've been following everyone else's updates. Jingles to horses and humans that need them. And congrats Chisamba and Aleuronx for some show successes.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:00 am

khall wrote:Have you ever ridden her twice a day? That always made Rip a much better horse to ride!

No, but I was thinking about trying that when it cools off next week. But there are only so many hours in the day and driving back and forth to the barn eats time even though it's close.

Joplin sounds so fun! I really think my next one will be an Iberian/WB cross. This morning my instructor joked that if I had Annabelle's heart and Tesla's body in one package we could go to the Olympics. Well, I'll need to learn to sit the new trot we're developing in Miss T first. :lol:
Keep calm and canter on.

khall

Postby khall » Sun Jul 31, 2022 12:27 am

SF Joplin is such a blast!! I’m so happy that I bred for her. Why I’m trying to get Gaila in foal to Saphiro. Love the WB/Iberian cross.

Ugh our dew point right now in middle Georgia is almost 80 degrees. I’m just standing here sweating

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:44 pm

Well, one goal x2. I went on another trail ride today…a 2-3 mile amble up in the foothills and she was a star again. I was hoping I could time my barn session with Sue (she provides the babysitting services with her horse Pete). It was warm but when you get up the hill, there is usually a breeze and there was. I felt like my head was melting from my helmet but otherwise not bad at all.

She tolerated this trip a bit better as I have been riding the smaller hill on the barn property every day as my cooldown. I do think it is helping her stifles…her hind boots have not been as full of sand as they used to be which to me indicates she is picking her feet up better.

They (the weather people) said it was supposed to start cooling down but they keep moving the cool down out another day…and another…and another :P .

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 01, 2022 1:46 pm

:D ok so maybe my flying change was a bit too expressive. Half pass to fc to halp pass :lol:
https://galleries.page.link/cYAvt

Credit Michele Morgenstern photography

Return to “Dressage Training”