Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: March (and April) of Progress

Postby heddylamar » Sun Apr 23, 2023 11:18 pm

I’m so sorry, Chisamba.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:55 am

I'm sorry Chisamba. What a tough few days.

Srhorselady
Herd Member

Postby Srhorselady » Mon Apr 24, 2023 1:15 am

Oh Chisamba I’m so sorry. Hang in there. This too shall pass.

blob

Postby blob » Mon Apr 24, 2023 6:19 pm

RP had his first ride post joint stuff--just walk and trot. He felt sound in the trot, but his trot baseline was always sound, so not a great indicator of anything. He was very fussy in the bridle, which typically means he's uncomfortable but also sometimes happens when he's had a lot of time off (which is also true in this case). So hard to know anything currently. All the horses i've injected with steroids in the past have been the type that instantly seem to be feeling better from it. But I know there are many who are sore for several days and have a slower ramp up into feeling the benefits. And of course the prostride isn't supposed to really start doing much this soon.

Had some great rides on MM this weekend and today. Though, I'm also so thankful she is feeling well and that I can ride her like this again that I'm not sure any ride will feel like a bad ride as long as she is healthy. Yesterday we did some jumping, nothing especially high, but some challenging lines and combinations, which meant we we both had to really plan ahead. Today we worked on some rapid t-c-t transitions to get her more through the back and then some lateral work--SI and zig zag leg yields.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Apr 24, 2023 8:37 pm

What a gut punch time Chisamba. I'm so sorry, be kind to yourself.

Oh khall! I am so pleased to hear about your ball on a string and heartbeat. I think we will all be anticipating next spring! Thanks for asking about my mom, she's awaiting her with any luck last chemo treatment and then will be discussing potential radiation. She has good spirit but is tiring of dealing with all the shifting of side effects and symptoms of treatment.

Lesson yesterday was even better than the first even in the face of 40's and full on downpour all day. Warm-up was check box then we got stuck in. More of the same in trot, SI on 18m circle and popping that bit more trot, bit more trot then taking it forward down the long side. Then added in transitions t-w-t in SI, keeping the connection in the walk transitions and trotting off with front legs out in front than stabbing up and down. Canter work was counter canter with slight haunches in both directions, that's our changes prep homework. And holy crap did she get straight!! Straight in the crest and could only see the front legs riding down toward the mirrors. Incredible feeling.

We potentially have a Ride/Review ride this weekend. I say potentially as I sent in entry but check not cashed and no times yet... TBD

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:14 am

How is Kimba, Chisamba?

Justin videoed my ride on Saturday. It wasn't ugly, per se, in fact there were some very nice moments, all told. But could we have been going any slower at the trot and not left a silvery trail of slime behind us? It didn't feel like that from on top...

So today, I upped the ante quite a bit on the forward and no-one died.

That is significant progress for this chicken. I think I may be getting my mojo back.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:42 pm

{{{Chisamba}}} Jingles Kimba comes right soon.

Well…I tried the Myler MM 2 days in a row and she was getting red marks on her flabby cheeks :evil: . She was working well though. So…I am just going to have watch her and probably not ride more than 2 days consecutive with that bit. That said, because of the redness, I slapped on the Tellington-Jones roller bit on her. https://hermsprengerusa.com/product/lin ... ize-125-mm
It is a honking bit but she appears to like it. She was so nicely relaxed, especially at canter. I ride it with one hand. I am trying to teach her neck reining which she is getting the hang of. I could put another set of reins on it and use it like a Pelham but I haven’t yet. This bits works well for trail riding. We look interesting…western bit and English saddle. You know, I have just come to the point where I want to enjoy my horse. I really love dressage and the therapy the horse gets from it but with life circumstances (taking care of Mom, my own infirmity and age), I am happy to just putz around and enjoy being able to get on my horse :lol: .

I still required proper bend and was able to get some nice LY and even was able to get some decent half pass (at walk). Our ride was pretty short because as soon as I got her bridle on, it started to rain :P . Not that either of us would melt but I didn’t want a soaked saddle (only a somewhat wet one). Of course by the time I put her away, it had quit. Man, the weather is so weird anymore.

Susan

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 27, 2023 12:36 pm

I'm excited for your progress mountaineer.

Glad to hear MM is going under saddle again and managing.

So as I suspected Kimba does have a tear on the medial branch of her rear right suspensory . I'm exploring the multiple options they have these days to treat.

Meanwhile it's a matter of keeping her ambitious brain relaxed while on stall rest.
Last edited by Chisamba on Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Apr 27, 2023 4:56 pm

Another week and another lesson......wanted to take Brandon but he decided to lose a shoe and the farrier isn't coming out until tomorrow. As a result Junior was loaded on the trailer. This lesson was all about the rein back and utilizing it to rebalance Junior throughout my lesson. It was super emphasized to NOT make it a punishment so quiet aids, still seat, soft hands to keep a soft pony. Then I was instructed to think like I could rein back in the trot and the canter and we did a lot of forward and back. Revved up the engines for medium gaits then asked for a rein back and then forward again - Junior was staying far more up in the withers and giving me more jump in the canter. Overall it was a really good lesson getting much better quality in the canter and cadence in the trot. We also got a clean flying change in both directions.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 27, 2023 11:25 pm

Darn it, Chisamba. What a giant pain.

Potters has been a model citizen this week. Today the landscapers were zipping around on the skid steer just outside the far end of the arena, so he was very "up." But whilst he certainly gave Justin a run for his money, he was more forward than spooky and actually really held it together pretty well, with the assistance of some skillful riding. And when I got on he was a good boy--though I will admit I didn't go test out the far end! Much more forward at the trot and canter today, which really is so much easier to ride than the subtly sucked back nonsense he thinks he might be able to get away with if I'm in the saddle. Not any more, bud.

I am learning how to develop those forward gaits into bigger, puffier gaits without him getting scared and losing his marbles. It's really rather fun.

Though I might be able to achieve more if every tree in Northern Utah hadn't decided to start spraying pollen at once.

Jeremy Steinberg is at the barn for the next two days. I have an early lesson tomorrow before he gets started, then it's a good auditing opportunity!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 28, 2023 4:11 am

Exvet, that's so interesting. I used to use a rein back to improve the canter a lot, especially for Kea. , but I seem to have forgotten how useful that exercise is!

Moutaineer, I would audit JS but I have noticed on some video that he spent far more time on the auditors than the rider so that could be a great opportunity.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:27 am

Chisamba wrote:
Moutaineer, I would audit JS but I have noticed on some video that he spent far more time on the auditors than the rider so that could be a great opportunity.

This was my experience when I rode with him last summer. I would gladly audit again as I think he's very knowledgeable. But I don't think I would ride with him again.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Fri Apr 28, 2023 2:14 pm

Agreed with you both on JS from my riding experience with him. Was the lesson good? Yeah, but he talked ALOT and we took lots of breaks for more talking. I'm more used to working hard and then chatting about it, that's how my trainer rolls. I think we were hardly sweaty at the end. A bit rich for my blood so that much gabbing.

Good ride this morning, waiting to see what happens Sunday for Ride/Review as it's supposed to chuck down rain all day. I got in and have crappy late times and not sure I'm keen to ride a test in a downpour but tbd...

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:25 am

Ha, so I introduced the rein back as a tool to improve the canter on Saiph today and had to spend most of the lesson explaining that the rein back was NOT punishment but a smooth regathering of body parts to establish balance. Somewhere in her youth( I'm guessing) it was used punitively and I had to undo that before I could use it without that sense of alarm in the horse.

May I just express as strongly as I can that a punitive rein back should be avoided always anywhere for any reason. Why do people do that?

Ok vent over. Exvet when we achieved a balancing rein back i found it really improved her jump in the flying change but perhaps not her straightness. Andrea said fix one thing at a time so just make the changes relaxed and old hat, then the straight will come. I hope this is true

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:45 am

Chisamba I think you will find it true. Junior, despite me consciously working on it, is crooked if I'm not constantly aware of it and insistent that he be straight. I worked more on rein back today and Junior's changes were all clean; but, I still need to work on keeping him straight in the change. I did a fair amount of shoulder in as well in order to work on the straightness which did help. Molly is a huge proponent of focusing and training one thing at a time and then putting it altogether. I think for Junior that has been a huge key as well as eye opener. I have a much happier pony. As a side note, I never wanted to encourage rearing in my horses so using rein back as a punishment simply has never been in my repertoire but I've certainly observed others use it as such.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Apr 30, 2023 10:51 pm

I didn't have any clear goals this period, but I think some good progress has been made!

After only about seven schooling rides together today was Annabelle's first schooling jump show and I think she did fabulous. She was a little looky in her first 2'3" round, so we were able to add another round in lieu of moving on to the 2'6". Next weekend there's another schooling show at a venue she's shown at, so we'll try the 2'3" and then go on to 2'6" if she handles their more elaborate jump fillers OK.
https://youtu.be/xUIFsSKsRPg

Tesla has also started jumping pretty decently. Her jumping style tends to work bettor for me, or maybe I just prefer the feel of having more horse under me. We were also pretty much able to work through her last non-cantering episode between some suggestions by my regular instructor and the other local one I sometimes ride with. I think I'm getting a better feel for the fine point of balance I need to get her to, in front of the leg with the poll up, but also FDO enough that she is not locking up in her back. She has gotten quite adjustable in her trot, so now we need to start bringing some of that adjustability into the canter.

I have somewhat fallen off the fitness wagon - didn't get back to running after being sick for a couple weeks, but have gotten back to DRT. Missed last week due to work travel that involved long work days, but I'll get back at it this week.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon May 01, 2023 2:17 am

Nice round StraightForward. The flying change in between fences wasn't lost on me LOL. Annabelle looks to be a natural. Junior would be just one big ulcer if I faced him with a full course. Too bad too because he has such nice form over fences, sigh.

As for my goals this round,

Junior - focus on straightness, engagement, lowering the hind quarters, better soft connection, even into both reins and of course quality of the canter - I think we gained some ground on these goals but loads of improvement still needed

Brandon - soft, steady connection, the rest will be 'in place' I still feel that this is our goal for next round. In some ways we achieved our goal and then there was that one HUGE step back but the past week or so has been good.

Ace - just let him be the numero uno trail boss Definitely won on this one. Have been giving my daughter-in-law lunge lessons on Ace so he's been fulfilling his job and more.

I plan to continue to work out 4-5 times a week. Most weeks we stuck to it.

For both boys who compete - schooling show in April, recognized show in April so we'll work to 'that' goal - modest improvement in at least one movement/score for each (of course I'd gladly accept more but baby steps seem to be getting us further faster, snail instead of slug). Schooling show was cancelled but we earned our qualifying scores at the recognized show in April so all is good.

blob

Postby blob » Mon May 01, 2023 12:21 pm

I guess it's time to close out! Between work and RP's stuff, this has not been the most productive couple of months. On to May!

blob wrote:Me:
Find time to ride despite work craziness, even if that means waking up very early
Keep walking on my walking desk
Cook at least 2x a week

MM:
Maintain fitness through start of allergy season
Start doing more proper dressage work in the arena

RP:
Figure out lesson situation now that trainer has moved
Start videoing rides more regularly/get that pivo set up!
Show in April
Keep working on lateral work at trot
Keep working on improving canter quality

Clip if not shed out by late April soundness issues really took over March and April with RP and looks like we still have some ways to go as even after injections/prostride he looks and feels like he is very uncomfortable somewhere in his body

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon May 01, 2023 4:36 pm

3/8/23 Continue with basics as the weather allows.

That is what we have done. Now weather has swung completely the other way. It was 90 degrees yesterday :roll: .

I have done a fair amount of riding (for me). My barn time is limited due to elder care but I figure 30 minutes of good work is better than no work.
I re-introduced my bastard full double yesterday (bitless for snaffle with Weymouth. The ride started out good but then tension set in and she acted like she was getting pinched? Well…with much apology to the horse, when I got off, the bitless strap was over the curb bit strap :oops: . I am sure that was giving all sort of wonky signals and was amazed she worked as well as she did. We finished with a trot up the hill and a lap around the trail obstacles to round things out.

I don’t know how much riding I will get done in the next two weeks. I am sitting home today waiting for a plumber as my water heater gave out late last week. I am also getting down to the nitty gritty and getting ready for my trip to Iceland (leaving May 15). I will probably set up her dental procedure for early June so in the meantime…same program.

Susan

khall

Postby khall » Mon May 01, 2023 7:27 pm

Riding some but not as much as I’d hoped between all like weather and appointments but clinic this weekend starting Friday. Had Joplin looked at by my DVM friend last week who does acupuncture and chiro. She also just finished a rehab course taught by students of Hilary Clayton so is going to use Joplin as a test subject. Joplin is weak in her quads and will pop her stifles. Hard to believe considering how much work she usually is in but my
vet is having me do targeted ground exercises to help strengthen her quads. Belly lifts butt tucks carrot stretches but not overly bendy carrot stretches instability pads and wither and hip rocks. Blob this is what I was speaking of. Not the acupuncture and chiro but rehab work. She just finished her clinical in Florida two weeks ago after online course.

Cedar clinic this weekend. I don’t feel as prepared as I had hoped but I’ll just roll with it. Clinic is over full

I’m better on the gabapentin. Using acupuncture and PT too. MRI was not too bad mostly C6-7. Was not overly impressed with the doctor. Sigh.

So this cycle I started out well but dribbled to a whimper. Weather has been lovely. A long spring for us!

Ugh some are having psychotic weather.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 01, 2023 9:51 pm

I'm riding again, and I'm riding much better than I was. I'm still having Justin hop on first to do a warm-up, but I'm hoping this will be the last week of that as being a regular thing. I was going to get all brave this morning, then the cement trucks turned up... Potters was actually a complete rock star about them and I shouldn't have worried. I got on and had a solid WTC in each direction and some lateral work, with an incredible amount of racket and swinging booms, etc. Trainer's view is that if I can do that, then I'll manage a show warm up no trouble... Not many cement trucks in warmup rings though :)

The JS clinic at the weekend was very interesting. Lots of young horses. He really is very knowledgeable and very generous with his time and expertise. I'm not sure he and Potters would have been a match made in heaven, but with the pushy dumbass warmblood youngsters, he made some considerable changes to their attitude and way of going, largely by focusing on clarity of the aids and promptness of the response to the aids. Nothing we haven't all heard before 10 million times, but soundly explained and in a different voice, as always. (He was also hilariously profane at times... I think my poor sweet devout Mormon trainer probably had to go home and wash her ears out with bleach.)

It's gone from snowing to 70's here in the space of a few days, which is scary when you look at the amount of snow that has to melt off the mountains, and the speed and height of the water in the creek at the back of my house. Lots of sandbagging going on in town.

Onwards into May and June!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue May 02, 2023 4:52 pm

Short and sweet to close this out. We did go to the Ride/Review in the 40 degree rain and rode our test in an outdoor arena that was more puddle than visible footing. So good on Kora for digging deep and picking up canter from walk in a lake both ways and being a good sport mudder for the day. The judge, Sue Buchanan loved her and our partnership so that was really lovely to hear. In what can only be validating of our current work the piece she choose to work on and the exercise to address it is the EXACT same thing my canter homework from my trainer. I laughed to myself and just did the work. (counter canter on the second track shoulders and hips square with straight neck, trainer uses haunches out, Sue wanted slight shoulder fore)

Kora: Touch on developing half-pass in trot. Yep, lil bits are getting better especially with more space outside. Increase suppleness and relaxation in walk-canter-walk-canter. Yep, this is improving especially our approach to ho-hum of it. Play with a flying change on good days. Yep, we played with a bit and now with trainer giving our homework we are on hold until ready for that bride. Take that darn left front to the right in all gaits, all times. Every damn day!

Me: We're doing a friendly weight-loss comp at work, more supporting each other than anything. I'm using that as a jumpstart to losing some lbs. I have a number goal in mind but we'll see if I can manage it. I'm down 7 pounds which is great. I'm hoping to get down to goal maybe end of summer.

Return to “Dressage Training”