Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Jul 25, 2023 1:04 am

The mediums and the extensions sucked, I'll certainly own that.

That's the Potters spook. It's actually easier to sit than it looks because it's a straight back and he doesn't spin. You just have to stay in the middle in case he drops a shoulder. I'm also trying not to grab with my legs and carve a hole in him with my spur when he does that. Doing it at the end of the half-pass line earned me a 2 on that movement which is a double coefficient.

I was damned if we were going to miss that canter transition at C, but it's kind of hard to find the gumption to push for the big canters after the Big Spook :) I felt there might be another one coming in the extended, but I managed to jam him back out to the rail and deflect it.

The trots, I have no excuse for except I get tense in the ring and lose my normally fairly reasonable and not hand-bouncy (wah!) seat apparently--and I was struggling a bit by the last one. Asthma, heat and age are my reasons. I'm actually pretty fit and can ride a 45-minute lesson nowadays without too much trouble, so it ticks me off.

I felt a 5.5 for my canter circle left 10m was pretty miserable, and that rein back was more than a 6. She originally had it down as a 5.5--say what? Could it have been rounder, yes, but it wasn't ugly. It was a reasonably square halt, clean, rhythmic, 4 steps back and in the right place, and we walked straight out. What am I supposed to do, tap dance?

That test earned me a 59, Flight. And the comment "must develop uphill balance and elasticity."

And yes, I agree, Chisamba. The judging is really putting people off at the moment.

And I'm sorry to be whining and unsportsmanlike, but it is a lot of work and expense to put all this together and I feel deflated.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:44 am

Moutaineer wrote:Here you go. Be kind to old ladies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qIZMwLZh-c

I just loved your 10m circles into super neat changes. Well done!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:28 am

Enjoying this discussion!

Mountaineer--I agree with Chisamba that I'm impressed you were able to get everything back together.
Chisamba--I agree with others that it is a lovely test. Both you and Siaph look well in harmony throughout and she stays consistent in her frame, cadence, and contact. One thing I did notice was that there are a few places where you might be losing points on accuracy. For example, a couple of your half 10 meters didn't make it all the way back to the track before starting the trot half pass or the canter diagonal line. These kind of "quick fixes" can make a big difference
Flight--that's a beautiful picture and right now I feel jealous of the frost! But don't worry I'll be full of weather complaints in the winter too!

Despite the the occasional crazy comment or odd score, I will say that I do really enjoy showing. It gives me very clear goals and helps structure my training. Without showing, it's easy for me to get stagnant in my training and work, so showing helps me keep striving forward in logical, sequenced way. Most of the time, I do get comments that I find valuable. Even if I don't fully agree with them, they still give me something to think about and utilize in my riding/training. Showing with RP has also been especially rewarding. He's come to really know and understand the show environment despite his nervous nature and for the most part he is well received by judges, which is nice and refreshing given he is not a traditional dressage mount, nor does he move like one. If I am able to keep him moving up the levels, I'll be interested to see if that continues beyond the lower levels.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Jul 25, 2023 5:38 pm

Mountaineer - Good seat! You could see his wheels turning through that corner. It looked a good test overall and it sounds like you pick up on the lack of dynamics that tanked some of your score. It's those transitions that really get the judges paying attention. I do call pish-posh on your reinback score, that was well done.

Chisamba - I took agree that the frame and contact stay so well thorough. I wouldn't be so down-hearted on the score as the test has good parts all the way through considering how you have said to struggle with her in a test environment. You can beef that up with a different judge and some cleaning up. I will say something that you are fully welcome to ignore and hate me. Get thee a stronger athletic support bra for the girls. It's a cheap way to increase the overall picture and will save your back some too!

Flight that is a gorgeous picture but I'm not missing winter yet at all. Will definitely share when I get my show shoots.
Khall eyes also freak me out. Went through that once with my other mare but with a corpa nigra detachment from a injury. Jingles Joplin recovers well.

I'm traveling for work next week so Kora will be off at trainers to be worked. I don't want her losing any topline before the Keuring and they can get some flying changes work in. She'll have a better time than me!

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:07 pm

I've probably had, over the years, a dozen posts on bras, support, etc. I've spent probably, thousands of dollars over the years trying every thing. She fit, title nine, chetta trotter et al. I always wear Two support bras. I was at a clinic once doing a demo and this guy hands me his business card. I thought of nice a new client. He says "I do breast reductions. ". Funny thing is some strange guy I never met nearly got him with a fist. I made a joke to clear the air.

I have boobs. I've always had books, I am not getting them removed. Its part of my life

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:13 pm

OMG, Chisamba. I feel for you. I think we're about the same size, but I'm a lot smaller up top, and boy sometimes I just want to tape them down. We all have different physiology, and we all have to deal with it.

If you see the latest USDF newsletter, there is an article in there about plus sized riders. I'm in there. (They just put a post about who wants to contribute, so I responded and she sent me some questions and I answered them.) My take is we are all different sizes and shapes. I think some of us larger riders (esp. on medium and smaller horses) will just never look as good as smaller people on large horses, whether we are as or more effective or not. It is what it is. I have to deal with my legs hanging under the horse's belly, but I don't know what it's like to have a leg that reaches halfway down and to ride that way. I have a super wide back and long arms that have good and bad points in effectiveness, but I don't know how it is to be someone with, as my friend says Tyranasaurus Rex arms and ride. At least we're in a time period where it's easy to get video of ourselves and see what we can do to improve that, instead of back when I started showing, video cameras were just becoming a thing. We all just cope with how we are born and do the best we can!

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:13 pm

Chisamba wrote:I've probably had, over the years, a dozen posts on bras, support, etc. I've spent probably, thousands of dollars over the years trying every thing. She fit, title nine, chetta trotter et al. I always wear Two support bras. I was at a clinic once doing a demo and this guy hands me his business card. I thought of nice a new client. He says "I do breast reductions. ". Funny thing is some strange guy I never met nearly got him with a fist. I made a joke to clear the air.

I have boobs. I've always had books, I am not getting them removed. Its part of my life

I had a breast reduction. I'm in an extreme sports bras (she-fit ultimate). They still bounce. I'm fat. I jiggle and bounce. Please, avert your eyes if it offends you.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Wed Jul 26, 2023 4:11 am

zevida wrote:
Chisamba wrote:I've probably had, over the years, a dozen posts on bras, support, etc. I've spent probably, thousands of dollars over the years trying every thing. She fit, title nine, chetta trotter et al. I always wear Two support bras. I was at a clinic once doing a demo and this guy hands me his business card. I thought of nice a new client. He says "I do breast reductions. ". Funny thing is some strange guy I never met nearly got him with a fist. I made a joke to clear the air.

I had a breast reduction. I'm in an extreme sports bras (she-fit ultimate). They still bounce. I'm fat. I jiggle and bounce. Please, avert your eyes if it offends you.

I had a reduction too and rarely wear more than a low-impact/bralette-type “bra” in my daily life. If anything. I’m still firm and lifted nearly 10 years post-op. But riding, running, even rowing/lifting ... I wear a heavy-duty compression bra and jiggle all over.

I don’t think big boobs ever really reduce ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 26, 2023 12:37 pm

I know this statement is offensive, but a horse and a riders occupy about 9 foot by ten foot by maybe 3 foot . So 270 cubes, my boobs are about .5 cubic feet In all that area to see , if you have to look at my boobs, it's you, not me that has the problem.

If you cannot tell from the last 3 posts. Let me explain. I, amongst many are totally sick of our entire skill set being reduced to the bounce of our boobs.

Oh you have a lovely horse and you managed to stay in the ring but your boobs bounce. Do something about that. How is that even remotely ok?

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:38 pm

Chisamba unfortunately it’s been a big part of the horse world for years. Hated when GM would rant on rider’s weight in Practical Horsemen. That stereotype they try to shove everyone in. It’s in dance and other sports as well.

The one thing I would ask is Saiph difficult to sit the trot on? She looks difficult. Love her canter work!! I like where you have her in her outline. I find Joplin goes best in similar outline too. Especially in the canter work.

Mountaineer I agree that be more precise in your test. Ride your lines so you aren’t losing points well as best as you can when he spooks!

Question for you both because of Saiph and Potters tension issues do you feel you have to ride delicately and often not push for more? Hey I get it! Rip was a booger about asking for more. Why I do appreciate Joplin who can handle the pressure.

Joplin’s eye responded well to treatment. Was very happy but am taking her back Friday to make sure the ulcer is gone. I’ve been able to reduce her treatments doing away with banamine and atropine. She did have her fly mask off again this morning ugh. Was very runny but cleared up quickly. She’s wearing fly mask even in her stall.

It’s just miserable weather right now. Bleh

Oh in other news Henry had his 6 months heart worm test yesterday after his treatment last fall. He’s negative!! And he weighs 89 lbs. yikes. But such a good boy. He and our pittie girl went on vacation to the beach. They did well

At the dog park that was just down the street from our vrbo

https://www.facebook.com/10000086155357 ... tid=cr9u03

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Wed Jul 26, 2023 5:15 pm

I never meant it to be offensive, just a comment if not an avenue that had been explored before. Like I said feel free to hate and ignore. There are lots of professional fitters that could be of a help but if that is already a road traveled than not applicable to you. Tension is seen as excess movement and while absorbed well it is still noticeable.

In the end we are being judged and every little bit helps. Take it or leave it, not a matter from me.

Josette

Postby Josette » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:13 pm

Last edited by Josette on Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:58 pm

Aleuronx wrote:I never meant it to be offensive, just a comment if not an avenue that had been explored before. Like I said feel free to hate and ignore. There are lots of professional fitters that could be of a help but if that is already a road traveled than not applicable to you. Tension is seen as excess movement and while absorbed well it is still noticeable.

In the end we are being judged and every little bit helps. Take it or leave it, not a matter from me.

I can only say as kindly as possible. * Don't hate me but. * I didn't mean to be offensive but. Both absolute dead give aways that you know what you said was both hateful and offensive.

I sincerely hope that your self image is kinder you than your judgement of me.

But I do now remember clearly why people are reluctant to post anything.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:11 pm

Phew... thanks to some stupid work thing I finally got on my horse at high noon today, and they'd kindly watered the arena for me. Not so much Death Valley as a sauna. We looked like we'd been standing in the shower by the time we were done, and I must have lost 2lbs. We had a pretty solid ride, though, and Potters doesn't seem to care about the heat, so it was worth it.

In answer to your question, Khall, it depends on the situation. Sometimes I ride grimly forward and fight it out, but I'm probably not going to do that through a canter extension in the show ring because there's more chance of it turning into a riot, so I'd tend to finesse that a bit as falling off in front of a judge isn't on my wishlist.

Frankly, he's been really good recently and it's not been an issue, except in my head. I do think something genuinely startled him at the show, especially as he went through that area fine afterwards and didn't get fixated on it like he can do about, say, the blue mounting block at the side of the arena at home--that one we do fight through. And sometimes, you just don't want the whole precious ride to be a fight about the blue mounting block, so you stay away from it.

Hey, I'm a nearly 63 year old AA, I've conquered a major fear issue, I'm riding and showing at a higher level than I have ever done before, on a horse I haven't shown before after having not shown for 4 years, so I think I'm actually doing pretty well. It takes a few goes down center line to get everything sorted out and to know what your horse's reactions are likely to be. Estes Park will be really interesting.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:46 pm

Moutaineer wrote: And sometimes, you just don't want the whole precious ride to be a fight about the blue mounting block, so you stay away from it.

Isn't that the truth. So much of this sport is in the differentiation between the lines in the sand that are worth drawing (and enforcing) and which are just better off tabling for another day, to massively misuse a metaphor.

Although lately I'm leaning pretty heavily on the latter, because it's so darn hot. The bank thermometer on the way to the barn read 105F at 6:30pm the other day. Keeping on my buzzword bonanza: really makes you shift the goalposts to something more achievable, like success = washing Queso's tail instead of any remotely athletic endeavor.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jul 26, 2023 10:50 pm

Not throwing shade at you at all mountaineer. As I said I’ve been there with Rip. As my friend has said I had concerns at times with him if I was going to get dead riding him. He could be explosive and or spooky hard brakes and spin. So I certainly understand where you are coming from.

The pointers on riding for accuracy was just that. It’s an easy fix (as long as they aren’t spooking!) to help with points. I got yelled at in Spain a good bit about riding accurately and it did stick. Not only does it clean up one’s riding but it also gives the horse focus when we ride to our focus. It’s something I do try to work on regularly.

The last time I showed at a recognized show it was $1000 for the weekend. It was one of those back to back shows to maximize points and I just don’t see the reason to spend that kind of money at this time. Shows are at a minimum (except for one venue) 2 hours away so would have to include hotel as well. Just can’t do it. Maybe one day when it’s worth showing at a higher level. But happy others are out and enjoying their horses.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jul 26, 2023 11:01 pm

Hey I'm a 63 year old pro who once had fairy tale dreams of riding in the Olympics. I was long listed in South Afruca at the age of 18 long before many of you were alive. Yes SA was given an international embargo and was never an A tier dressage country. I've made it to GP with two self trained horses that were both give aways. But frankly I did that because I had dreams is Olympics. I was never that good at passage but my n horse lived tempi changes so I thought ub was good at it. I've ridden more horses zero through fourth level before electronic score keeping became a thing and all of the rides currently displayed on usdf lifetime scores are long after my hey day. I've come back from four knee surgeries, hip replacement and multiple fractures. Like Exvet I currently struggle with hand issues . Mine are arthritic . Every horse I have ridden up through the levels, I have trained. Many of them from unstarted, but not Saiph she was already doing shoulder in and lateral work when I got her.

I lucked onto one truly talented dressage horse in my life and she burned to death at the age of 5 along with 20 much loved horses of friends and clients. I started over with nothing but a bit and scorched stirrups and a half burned dollar I pulled out of the ashes.

I'm doing OK. How I have the arrogance to believe that I should s be able to go in the show ring without being criticized due having boobs, I do not know. I guess having lived with them and all the mocking. Joking. Snide , sex discriminating bull sh!,,t comments that followed me from my track and fields sprinting career. Through horse riding. And simply existing. makes me believe it shouldn't matter.

Moutaineer, go get them. Do your thing, in your own time at your pace, and appreciate that you are still doing it. That is what I am going to do.
From the funny, at least Marion will never fall flat on her face, to the inconvenient, so sorry , they just do not make shad bellies in that size. ( when i was 18 and fairly slim with breasts) to the downright rude, " I do breast reducing" to the sympathetic, oh dear are you leaking ( I glanced down to see bit slobber in an unfortunate spot) to damned painful. Raw rib cage. Raw shoulders , nearly fainting from lack of breath. To being old enough and angry enough to not tolerate the sexism of it anymore.

Thx you to those is you with really helpful observations, yes I could have brought my horse to the rail better before the half pass. I should also have been straighter over x.

Khall, I go for it in the mediums and extended gaits but she is not a comfortable horse to sit, and I do need more uphill expression to get her a bit more rideable. I thought my canters were expressive.

Signed the fat old dinosaur who has the ridiculous effrontery to dare to ride and show.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:12 am

Chisamba I was at the other end of the spectrum as a teen and young adult ( not now after a kid and cough now much heavier thank you menopause) I have been mistaken for a boy more than once. Slender flat chested no hips. It bothered me dreadfully at the time. Now I would love to go back to size 4 jeans! Our horses absolutely don’t care how we look but how we ride them and care for them. And yes your canter work in the video I did love! Very bold mediums/extensions. She looked very rideable in the canter work. It was more about the trot work. Does pushing her cause tension in the trot?

I in no way am saying not to show for others. Regardless of the scores. I’m saying for me schooling shows are plenty to aim for heck even just schooling at the venue is fun. That is my happy place right now. I just know the expense and am unwilling to shell out for recognized shows. I have in the past when they were more reasonable I might in the future. Who knows.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:56 am

Not my intent at all. I have not edited my posts and there are zero ‘buts’ within. My barn community of all shapes, sizes and ages discuss everything as the athletes we all are as riders whether bits, bridles or bras. I found my favorite through a recommendation of another. I stand by my initial comment that the test had good parts all the way through but I will refrain from commenting in the future.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:04 am

Khall , I accept my faults :) no offense taken! Schooling shows around here are so poorly judged its not worth the effort, especially once one is out of first level, TBH. So we suck it up and show the few recognized shows that we have locally and deal with their lousy footing, flues and politics.

I do feel that showing really does offer invaluable feedback and confidence building opportunities that are entirely different from riding in clinics, though I fo really enjoy clinics! Showing forces you to really implement your training and exposes the raw edges.

As a thought though, in my experience the actual entry fee cost of showing hasn't changed much in the 4 years I have been away. The cost of board, training, gas and hotels, however, has increased violently. Which will make my one "away" show during this season my luxury summer vacation...

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Jul 27, 2023 3:42 am

Boy a lot of discussion all of a sudden. I appreciate everyone's view; however, I will say that I did not comment on the rides [Chisamba & Moutaineer] because so many of the challenges I too face in regards to tension in the horse, striving to keep the poll the highest point, etc and I have no real answers. If I did I would have commented. Yes, I think we all leave points on on the court for lack of accuracy. I too beat myself up for losing what I call 'stupid points' because for owning only '6' movers I know where I need to be 'perfect' to get above a 6 and still I f^(k up despite my years in the saddle and experience showing. No, I'm not a professional but I can claim 1000s of hours in the saddle. For me what I believe happens is that I get so keyed up to fix what has been 'the issue' that for the 'stupid points' I breathe, relax, lose my focus for a moment as a bit of respite and then it's sh!t! that is NOT how we do it at home....and then go on to the next movement. None of us are perfect. I realize I need to improve my game face so-to-speak and toughen up so that I do not 'relax' ie, go to sleep even for a moment. As for rider form, I look like a curmudgeon on top of my horses and my pony tail bounces (at least at the schooling shows). I get railed for not holding my upper body up as tall as it 'should' be. Often my horses get dinged for having a 'short neck'. Well one did, Monty, but I have short arms............I wish I had the torso my daughter does; but, I don't. At the end of the day, all we can do is present ourselves and our horses as best as we can and honestly if we love what we ride and ride what we love it will work out, eventually. I turn 60 in two weeks. Some days I feel like time is running out, others, well I realize how lucky I am.

Being a veterinarian I tend to focus on the horse when I watch a test, not the rider. That can be a double edged sword, to be honest; but, it's MY perspective. Trust me, I learned to keep my mouth shut than to inform a rider/horse pair that their horse is lame or some such. I watch rides with my daughter ONLY for the concern that I might be over heard. Riding as a sport brings on critiques, criticism, sometimes constructive and sometimes not so much. Few of us know the struggles that those in the saddle bring with them when they go down centerline so the comments may seem obtuse, uncaring, rude, etc. We just recently shared judges' comments that seemed somewhat uncalled for but at the end of the day, the judge 'seemed' to feel the horse had more talent than what was demonstrated on 'that' day. I am no stranger to backhanded compliments.

Chisamba you are clearly not only an experienced and talented rider but your horse's 'tension' certainly didn't seem to come from the rider. More miles and good, safe, rewarding (to the horse) experiences is what I honestly think will eventually pay off and be reflected in the scores. She's a looker for sure. I hope you keep posting videos because I feel we help each other by doing so.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:26 am

Exvet I think you ride well. You and Flight ( amoung others I know I'm leaving riders out) are two of the riders I really admire because you do continuously progress and show your progression which is helpful to watch. Junior and Ding started as babies and are now progressed, still sound and especially Ding is doing so those things in still working on. And more.

Tango is beyond that in both her mares.

Khall, I go for it in the trot, did it look like I am not? It feels like I'm pushing her flat and over tempo. I am trying to find the balance between running in the forehand and expressive gait.

As far as showing schooling shows to spare the expense I tried that and it failed me two ways. One Saiphs tension in the bigger environment caught me by surprise. And secondly people seem to think I'm a novice who bought a trained horse and can't ride it, as opposed to a rider who trains her own horse. When I I suppose because I schooled at home and schooling shows suddenly arrived in rated shows at fourth level or might look like that.

When u showed up through the levels on Kimba and before her, the judges would shuffle in often enough that the saw the horses progression.

it was gutless to pull the videos. So I'll put the one i didn't delete back.
https://youtu.be/M-3KFr3o8YY

I have been so proud of myself for losing 85 pounds, I forget that I'm stiff fat and bouncy. Lol

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:08 pm

I agree this is a great discussion. And I still call BS on you interfering with your horses, Chisamba. Clearly you are getting the best out of them. Thank you for the compliment. I cringe when I post videos here, but I know it's a safe place. So many things I "should" be better at, but it's not going to happen. Yes, I can sit Quinn's huge extended trot, but not Quilla's! Ah! It's always some version of clenching tight or embarrassing bouncing with a hunched back. I am 100% with you on the extended trot. I have been back and forth on both mares for a long time on the going forward and expressive thing. At this moment, from riding and scribing, I am TRYING to stay on the more expressive up trot, but making sure they step under behind.

I try to keep shifting perspectives because it is hard to judge, and you ALWAYS have to say positive. I'm still thinking about a show I judged a month ago where half the show was western dressage, which was VERY cool. One rider was showing the highest level, which was very cool. And did give her 8's and 8.5's, but I also gave her 5's because her tempi changes were together behind, and I feel guilty because maybe she's thinking I'm terrible and don't know what I'm doing, and I want to be honest but helpful and kind.

It's hard. I think I need to start making my website and just putting it all out there for myself and anyone else who wants to read, and that may tie into Attainable, Sustainable Dressage and Horsemanship?

You lost 85 lbs., Chisamba!!! Wow. You win!

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:18 pm

I agree this is a safe space to post videos and a good one to get good feedback for particulars in our riding. Though I often don’t get much response to videos I post I still do. I’m proud of my homebred self trained mare. I’m doing more with her than even Rip and thoroughly enjoying it. Why I bred Gaila to get a half sibling.

Chisamba yes and no to going for it in the trot medium and extensions. The difference I see between trot and canter mediums/extensions is in canter you go letter to letter. Trot it’s more if a build up get it several strides off the sideline. Prepare more in the corner. Think energized half steps through the corner then get straight and go. I know with those long diagonals it’s hard to carry across the full length. My suggestion would be to work more active collected steps to build that strength for the mediums. That is where I’m at with Joplin. Also the shorter strides in the corners make for clearer up transitions. I had an OTTB g that was a master at extensions. He would get 8/9 even at 3 rd and his were of the airplane taking off variety. Suck you down into the saddle. That is the feeling I’m trying to build in Joplin. I’ve got to get better coiling of the HQs and up and out the withers. She’s coming though and I can tap with the whip in the medium to remind her to stay there.

Like I said for accuracy it just really hit home to me in Spain riding with stickler instructor of riding precisely and solidified in Portugal because we rode in a group of 3/4 basically head to tail. We had to ride precisely . So your halts if you are supposed to trot out of them NO walk steps. Rein back to trot NO walk steps. Ride straight on your line using your focus and ride to that focus. It’s amazing how that puts our seat and position where it needs to be. It really help me when I concentrate on riding with precision even riding here at home by myself. It’s what WE is about too. Riding with precision through the obstacles.

That makes sense about riding schooling shows vs recognized especially as a pro. I don’t really have that issue and the schooling show I ride at is huge with lots going on. They have 3 phase event at the same time and it surrounds the competition arena. Joplin gets lots of exposure.

I know the thinner body types LOOK better on a horse but it does not mean they RIDE better. In fact in Spain they told me I was not a pretty riders but I was very effective. Hey I’ll take it!

Stay cool! It’s miserable out there

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Jul 27, 2023 7:35 pm

Oh, and just FYI, did anyone see Natalie Lamping's proposal to allow posting in mediums and exteded's through 4th? I LOVE the idea. They don't make it a better movement and it's not easier, but it can be better for the horse and rider. Hilda Gurney basically sits in half seat in hers. (Thankfully.)

khall

Postby khall » Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:14 pm

Tanga I did. I shared it on my FB account irl. Meant to share it here. Think it’s an awesome idea. Best for horse and rider.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:42 pm

Tanga wrote:Oh, and just FYI, did anyone see Natalie Lamping's proposal to allow posting in mediums and exteded's through 4th? I LOVE the idea. They don't make it a better movement and it's not easier, but it can be better for the horse and rider. Hilda Gurney basically sits in half seat in hers. (Thankfully.)

I think perhaps it's easier to keep uphill balance sitting? Do you think posting will improve the the movement or make it even more saddle seat?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:16 pm

I can post a lengthened trot easily enough, but I'm not sure I could post an extended trot. It would take some real skill not to get left behind, so I don't think it's dumbing down at all.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:40 am

Chisamba wrote:
Tanga wrote:Oh, and just FYI, did anyone see Natalie Lamping's proposal to allow posting in mediums and exteded's through 4th? I LOVE the idea. They don't make it a better movement and it's not easier, but it can be better for the horse and rider. Hilda Gurney basically sits in half seat in hers. (Thankfully.)

I think perhaps it's easier to keep uphill balance sitting? Do you think posting will improve the the movement or make it even more saddle seat?

It's interesting for me personally because MM is a very very easy horse to sit, but I get a much better extended trot when I post, I just get a more open stride. RP is challenging to sit in general, but I get a much better lengthening from him when I sit --it makes easier for me to keep it slow and uphill. If I post it tends to get long and quick, which at first level is somewhat ok, but at second when I need a true medium, it won't be

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:55 am

blob wrote:
Chisamba wrote:

It's interesting for me personally because MM is a very very easy horse to sit, but I get a much better extended trot when I post, I just get a more open stride. RP is challenging to sit in general, but I get a much better lengthening from him when I sit --it makes easier for me to keep it slow and uphill. If I post it tends to get long and quick, which at first level is somewhat ok, but at second when I need a true medium, it won't be

I just thing that person who dies not have the seat to ride a medium. Even me my old self, will likely not have the post to maintain an uphill medium rising. So it really will be like saddlecseat. High head flinging feet and hind legs camped out behind. We already see it hugely rewarded. People looking for hackney, Fresian, kwpn, PRE front ends and tiny steps behind lol.

But I don't know for sure. It's just my fear.

But yes, the harder to sit horses do usually need it more

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:56 am

There is a long thread about it on CotH. I would like the option because I can sit T's big trot when she's relaxed and through, but can see it going to hell in a handbasket at a show if she gets tight in the back. Being able to post would help regroup if needed rather than coming out of the medium all disorganized and having that bleed into the next movements. I honestly wouldn't mind if it was generally .5 or 1 off the rider score or something, just to have the option without getting severely dinged for it.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:11 am

I find I can get a better lengthening for most of mine if I post but to really get a good medium (or extended), sitting for me gives me more control in keeping a horse up and open, not falling on the forehand. I'm fine with the rule change if it takes effect. I think we should all have the ability to show our horse at its best; but, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some TWH type movers with this change. As I always say, time will tell.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:06 am

If you don't like bounce just don't even watch, but this is probably the trot i would like to present in the show ring and do not quite get.

https://youtu.be/n0y82H2cfHE

I think perhaps I do not ride the contact consistently enough to translate power behind into shoulder freedom.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:20 am

exvet wrote:I find I can get a better lengthening for most of mine if I post but to really get a good medium (or extended), sitting for me gives me more control in keeping a horse up and open, not falling on the forehand. I'm fine with the rule change if it takes effect. I think we should all have the ability to show our horse at its best; but, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some TWH type movers with this change. As I always say, time will tell.

I think I'd get better scores for my medium and extended gaits if I was allowed to do a rising trot, but not everyone posts well. Do I post well. Probably not, I get a bit forward in my torso which would muddle my downwards transition maybe.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jul 28, 2023 5:44 am

Ooh. Interesting. Yes, I think it is HARD to do an extended trot posting. But, if you have issues, or the horse does, you have options, so, for example, if I could post a few strides here and there on Quilla's, I think could do better. Or at least look better. I actually hate posting the trot because it really hurts my back, but having options is always a good thing.

Chisamba, I don't think you're bouncing in your video. You look like you're following really well. You always remind me of me when I look at you. I will say, I always want you to shorten your reins. In reminding me of me, it took me forever to break the habit of letting me reins always be too long (like until the last year.) It makes no sense because once you shorten them, it's so much easier to sit, get the horse to sit, and stay with them, but for some reason it's SO hard to keep them shorter. To me, it feels like when I shorten, the horse comes up into my hands and really lightens up, and I feel like I can sit up and straighter and be more secure. Quinn in particular is good at getting my reins longer and I feel like I lose the lightness and carriage in her, and my back starts hurting because it always makes me lean forward too much.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:21 am

Chisamba wrote:If you don't like bounce just don't even watch, but this is probably the trot i would like to present in the show ring and do not quite get.

https://youtu.be/n0y82H2cfHE

I think perhaps I do not ride the contact consistently enough to translate power behind into shoulder freedom.

That is a pretty trot!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri Jul 28, 2023 8:23 am

Chisamba wrote:
exvet wrote:I find I can get a better lengthening for most of mine if I post but to really get a good medium (or extended), sitting for me gives me more control in keeping a horse up and open, not falling on the forehand. I'm fine with the rule change if it takes effect. I think we should all have the ability to show our horse at its best; but, I wouldn't be surprised if we get some TWH type movers with this change. As I always say, time will tell.

I think I'd get better scores for my medium and extended gaits if I was allowed to do a rising trot, but not everyone posts well. Do I post well. Probably not, I get a bit forward in my torso which would muddle my downwards transition maybe.

I would LOVE the rising option. My horse has an upright Appy shoulder and overly active back muscles behind the saddle. I can just about sit his collected and working trot, but any kind of lengthen and I just freeze up to protect my already-delicate neck.

Edited to add that I am actively practicing the Hilda Gurney hover. Fortunately, because of my neck injury a few years ago, I had to ride light seat nearly every lesson, so my legs and ankles are super stable. Trying to teach Odie that this frozen position means "GO LIKE HELL" is a bit challenging though :lol:

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:32 am

Long reins are my constant problem. We been when I think they are short they are long. Every clinician every friend whose advice I like. Let's be honest is you can carry your hands closer to the neck it just looks neater.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:58 am

Chisamba wrote: but not everyone posts well. Do I post well. Probably not, I get a bit forward in my torso which would muddle my downwards transition maybe.

Lately it has been clear to me that I do not post well. I think I used to--when I was starting all those young horses I relied on my post a lot to keep rhythm. These days I find that the trot improves on nearly every horse I ride when I sit. I'm glad I have an effective sitting trot. But I would like to re-learn how to post well.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 28, 2023 12:21 pm

I rememeber the fuss when certain Olympic riders presented their new young horses and had to post and looked like rank beginners. I think it caused such a did they hired young horse riders for the next presentations.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jul 28, 2023 1:36 pm

So, I am not saying that I post well or sit well; but, having one younger and one more mature keeps me working on both. I too use my post to maintain tempo and am able to hold/slow a trot and swing and 'draw' a horse forward with it. This is why I think I am able to do develop a better lengthening with posting than if I sit. I will, though, if the horse is at a stage of development to handle me sitting, sit and pause in the corner to give the horse a distinct half-halt so that the lengthen starts with a 'sense' of engagement. This is really how I help introduce the medium gaits. It's that sit in the corner and momentary thought of engagement (collection) that helps them start to lighten in the front and start the lift off I want for mediums. When I sit the mediums my seat is still somewhat light after 'take off' with me trying to draw the back up but continue to ask the hind legs to step more under so that I can maintain (or build strength gradually) through the distance being asked to maintain that lift off. Like others I get a better collection of the gait if I'm sitting when it's time to come back. Again, I'm for options especially because every rider, every horse and every ride is different. Having tools and the skill to know when and how to adapt, to again present the horse in its best light, I believe shows or demonstrates far better horsemanship than demanding that it be one way only and that all must conform otherwise you're considered a sh!t / less than capable rider.

Chisamba, I'm honestly not trying to belabor a point but this topic does bring up some things I think as a vet have become a learned skill that at least has helped me over the years. I watched your last video. I did NOT notice any serious bouncing. The reason is that over time I've trained my eye to focus on the horse. This has been for lameness exams for the most part. I've had to discern over the years true orthopedic lameness, from neurological problems, from rider induced lameness (rein lame), dental issues, back issues (including ill fitting tack) etc. My mentor was one who believe that part of a thorough lameness exam included having the horse ridden. The only way I've been successful is to focus on the horse first and foremost, see it's reactions, its bearing, its use of self. Your legs I see and they are solid/stable. Your seat I see and it's stable and following. I might see an occasional change in position of hands but they are relatively light and following the horse as they should. I wasn't distracted by anything else. I watch in such a way that I literally never look at the person's face. I only am distracted by upper body position if it gets in 'my window' of view of the horse and that you did not. So GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK because you're an effective rider. At the end of the day, that's what true horsemanship is about as long as it's focused on helping the horse use itself better which your last video clearly does ;)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:30 pm

Exvet thanks you are the second person to remind me to use the sit in the corner before mediums to coil the spring, as it were, for mediums. I will be interested to see if rising to mediums and extended comes to fruition.

Thank you about the seat, leg, riding comments. I'll jettison the rest. Whoosh. Gone.

I do curl my lower leg back for more expression which derails my accuracy in flying changes. And yes. Reins length is worth fixing. I have green been horse too. Greener than Brandon. With mouth/ bit issues too so we share that. I'm going to try get Honey out this fall and maybe Flei in the spring, then I'll have to choose which one to sell.

https://youtu.be/Ce0hYjlrObE

Honey early spring

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri Jul 28, 2023 7:00 pm

Ooh, Chisamba, one of the many reasons why I think we look alike. I am a massive back curler, too. I don't know how tall you are, but I'm taller than most, so tend to slouch so I don't tower over people. And because I have an overly arched back, I tend to slouch to "give." I "think" I have gotten better.

Per curling your back in changes, I think that is a good thing. I finally figured out that sitting deeper to collect more for the changes caused both horses to drop their backs and lose their hind end--I am too big, or it's the bad way to do it. I REALLY work on tucking my tailbone/curling my lower back to signal the collection for changes, pirouettes, extensions, etc. I don't always remember to do it and go back to arching and leaning, but I "think" I am getting better at it, and definitely and not losing their hind ends nearly as much.

exvet--100% agree with your analysis.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:51 pm

Moutaineer wrote:. Doing it at the end of the half-pass line earned me a 2 on that movement which is a double coefficient.

Sorry, I know the conversation has moved on but I'm facilitating some training at work so it's a run of very busy days.

But this to me is an example of sucky judging and encouraging horses to go around like robots and for riders to hold onto their horses and not allow a single moment of horseiness out. That movement is really about the half pass. His horse moment is a blip that you both managed really quickly and got on with the test. He was just reacting to something he thought he needed to do so to keep safe. Had nothing to do with messing up the half pass. Ok, drop a mark or so, but not score a 2 unless your half pass really was terrible (which we can see it was fine).

Chisamba, I didn't read Aleuronx as being hateful and offensive. We are all women in here of various sizes. I know you found it hurtful which I'm sorry for too and your reply about bras was helpful for me, to be honest! I'm getting bigger and getting boobs and while I double bra I just have to accept they are with me too. I've seen you weight loss, you've done a fantastic job.
I also think your riding is fine.
Unfortunately I think I'm getting too fat for my dressage saddle!! So, I need to do something about that. I don't want to buy another. I think the thigh blocks and my bigger legs take up too much room, so my lower leg swings back too much on Ding. I rode him in my all purpose/jumping saddle, with the more open seat and didn't have the problem. Ahhh I have to get off the pies.

I hope they do allow rising trot for med/ext trot. I think it's nicer for the horses too.

zevida
Herd Member

Postby zevida » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:16 pm

I would love to be able to post mediums on my guy mostly because we have no medium to begin with and trying to sit the rushy wannabe non-medium isn’t fun for either of us. We aren’t going to get better than a 5.5 so just let us post and put us out of our misery. :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:00 am

Flight, I think her problem with the half pass, which was valid, was that my prior half circle didn't make it to the center line, so that was an automatic 4 to her.

(She had a bit of a thing about circle size. My trainer's assistant did a very pretty 17-meter canter circle which should have been a 15-meter in 1.3, and got a 4 for that. She got called over and told that was why she was giving her that score.)

We've been working on the half passes today. The trot HP to the right can get nice and flowy with good bend and crossover front and back, I can get a solid connection in the outside rein and a decent half-halt. But going to the left, Wah! It all goes to hell.

I think the trick is to really stand him up on that left shoulder and get his butt under him more prior to starting the half pass. Then I can get the connection through the right rein and can open my inside rein a little without losing the outside shoulder. And I've got some horse to sit into under my left seatbone. Sounds easy, doesn't it? After all, I can do it in the other direction!

We did quite a lot of work with the shoulder-in a few strides then the half pass a few strides, back to shoulder-in, back to half pass, which proved useful, and we will chip away at over the next couple of weeks.

The canter half passes were a comparative piece of cake. That bit of extra impulsion makes all the difference (hmmm!!!!)

Stupid hot here again today. I need to work on the mediums and extensions, but we'd also like to not die of heat exhaustion. It's supposed to cool down next week for a couple of days and we will look at them then. I have to learn how to maintain a more consistent following seat--show me a short diagonal and I can extend all over it, but I lose it before the end of the long diagonal, and I think, subconsciously, with the long diagonal, I try to save myself a bit for the end (which doesn't work) and end up dumbing down the whole thing.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:22 am

I'm trying to put together a musical freestyle. Thats my next goal.

For anyone who struggles with comfort and boob size this is what I do.

Against the skin a dry silk (* not real silk but a sweat removing fine comfortable) chemise. Then my professionally fitted bra. Then a sport bra. I use the underwire two cup kind. The first padded cup snaps together than the second elastic zips over the top. So in essence a support bra, then an padded underwire and then the strong elastic layer. If I do not wear the chemise then I get raw rubs on my shoulder and rib cage. I regularly read Good Houskeepings test of comparison brands of sports bras, and ask friends which and what they like best. I cannot stand racerback bras because they hit a nerve and numb my shoulders . Probably not of help to anyone but that's is how I deal with my anatomy.

Now back to researching the rules of freestyle. I've scribed before and had the judges confer in front of me and say things like was that supposed to be the medium, so I realized in av test that is not defined it's really necessary to make sure all the moves are easy to identify.

Beyond that in not very good at it.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat Jul 29, 2023 4:10 am

Ooh, Chisamba, do a freestyle! What's why I'm still showing. I just love freestyles. And I've become an expert on using Garageband to edit the music. I'm so used to it, I can basically hear if the music is long or short enough, ride it, and make small changes as needed. I've reedited the new GP freestyle about 20 times already. I'll burn new CD's right before the show on the 5th, and ride one starting right Saturday, and then starting left, flipping the whole thing, on Sunday. I've never done that! Something new! I might do the same with Quinn. That leaves me options at champs to flip at will.

100% be clear when doing freestyles-- HERE is the movement! Look!

This discussion has inspired me. In thinking how everyone is talking about riding and using their body, I tried some new things to mostly keep the collected walk quiet (the HARDEST movement in the GP is keeping the walk before the passage) but also to not let Quilla get wired, runny, and bouncing before the one tempis. She is SO sensitive, I have to be super, super clear. I have integrated verbal signals to ask for things; a sound meaning "good, you're going to get a treat," so they relax and think about a treat instead of anticipating; and I make clear hand signals to say "prepare for this gait " (jiggle inside rein for canter, then aide it; both reins together up up a little for trot, and a little more for piaffe passage.) I realized that when I just walk around, I feel like I hunch my shoulders a bit, and the horses walk. But, when I ride a test, I try to sit up and look good, which sits me down a little in the saddle, so Quilla in particular starts jigging and anticipating. So today I played with really keeping my shoulders more relaxed (and I saw in the mirror I don't look hunched) so I don't stiffen my back, and it helped in the walk and canter. let's see if it works at the show!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:10 pm

Just returned from our schooling show. So, I apologize because I first must digress in order to set the stage properly ;) I worked all day on Thursday, planning to pack the trailer, memorize my tests etc etc on Friday (y'all know the drill). Set up to have my daughter meet me at the show venue at 8:30 am sharp on Saturday morning since my first ride wasn't scheduled until 10:10 on Junior. While I'm stepping out of surgery getting ready to start seeing rooms I get a text from my SO that stated, "We have a party Friday night with 25 people coming!" I didn't have time to call but I texted him back to remind him I had a horse show Saturday. He responded with, "No problem, most people we'll be gone by 8:00 pm." So I decide okay, not ideal; but, I'll get up an hour earlier, ride and school both boys, clean the house, clean my tack, pack the trailer and have all feed et al set out for Saturday morning. I would bathe both boys Saturday morning before loading them. More or less that is how Friday went except we had some lingering guests 'til almost 10. Now I had already memorized my 3-3, 4-1 and T-3 tests but for the life of me I cannot memorize 1-3 and I was too exhausted to even try to memorize it after the last guest left. As a result I figured I would have my daughter take pictures/video of my first 3 rides and then call the last one which was to be 1-3. This morning all goes according to plan until my daughter calls to inform me that the only route she can take to the show venue had a road closure (interstate) due to a fatality accident so no idea when they would clear it. This was at 7 am. I wake up my SO and inform him of the (to me) major issue. He kindly offered to come and help where he could. Though no one can replace my daughter as groom, my SO did pretty well in terms of keeping each butt head occupied while I rode the other. I managed to find one of the show volunteers who I knew from prior years/prior shows who agreed to call my first level test 3. You cannot believe how grateful I was. While I like to say that the tests went famously well, they did not. The footing in the show arena was far too deep. It was 90 degrees and Junior decided it was perfect time to pull out the skip a change and there was nothing I could do to change his mind. I managed a 60 on 3-3 because we at least had pretty decent trot work. The judge really nailed me for the changes which was fair. I ended up with a 57.1 on 4-1 which given it was the first time I've shown fourth level in 8 years. I was grateful but again the feedback was that his changes plainly sucked because he had both hind feet stuck to the ground. Now because I thought my daughter was coming I had agreed to ride Brandon 10 minutes after Junior's last ride and do both of his tests back-to-back. My original plan was to have her tack up and start to school Brandon while I was warming up Junior for his second test. Unfortunately that didn't happen. I tacked Brandon up and handed him over to my SO to hold while I schooled Junior for his second test and then rode it. I came out of the arena taking off my spurs even before dismounting. I handed him my spurs, whip, the cover off of Brandon's saddle and Junior. I realized that with so little warm up time Brandon would likely be fussy, stiff and reactive which was the reason I elected not to ride with a whip. Well he warmed up decent. We went into the arena and he was a little looky. He spooked and came to a dead stop during my second canter loop in T-3 because some ladies chose that time to lay down their blanket arena side and set up their picnic (lunch break was to be right after my second ride). Still some how I managed a 66 because Brandon was relaxed, over the back and still forward despite the blip. I immediately rode 1-3. The caller was awesome but Brandon kept breaking in the canter and without a whip being it was my fourth ride and now 94 degrees I just could not keep him going so a 61 for 1-3.

Certainly not what I had hoped for but both boys were well behaved and Brandon for the first time in a long time wasn't over the top tense. I guess I'll focus on the wins despite the train getting derailed from the tracks before ever getting to the show. It's probably a good thing I didn't have anyone to take pictures or video. At least since I know the judge, she knows me and my horses the feedback does tell me exactly what I MUST work on. I'll be honest though, I'm really getting discouraged with Junior. I think my plan will be to work on his pirouette canter and really focus on getting him really forward coming out of it. Then we'll try some really expressive simple changes in close sequence, then retry the FC. Oh and I plan to ride with two whips so that he understands just how serious I really am. He gives me pretty decent medium and extended canters so at least in theory I should be able to pull it off :roll:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Jul 29, 2023 10:15 pm

Whew ExVet, you had a much more challenging show weekend than me!

I took Tesla to a schooling show today and last I'd checked yesterday, my first test was 12:57. I know this because I told my husband about 5x since he'd agreed to come take video. I have to say Tesla stepped off the trailer pretty cool and collected, and went right to work in the warmup. The had some scratches and asked if I wanted to go early, but I declined, then they informed me that 12:47 was my ride time, so warmup was quite brief before riding 1-1, which went OK, though we were still warming up and I was riding it pretty conservatively. The due to the other scratches, they wanted me to turn right back around and ride 1-2, so we did, and I thought it went significantly better, except for missing the left T/C transition and circling back to pick up the lead. We did manage a few 7's, but it was just one of those days where the judge was giving lots of easy 6's, but we got hammered on a couple things with 4's and 5's. No handing out inflated scores at this schooling show, so we ended on 59.3 for 1-1 and 61.7 for 1-2. Here is the 1-2; I can definitely see that I need to get T a little more round and connected in general. Since the whole affair ended up being so short, I rode a bit afterwards and got some lovely soft, connected canter that I think was less lateral. Overall I'm super happy with how she conducted herself though; no screaming or sucking back behind my leg or flinging her hind end around. I'll be interested to see how we do riding these same tests under Debbie Rodriguez next weekend.

https://youtu.be/FQCpE7YiXcU
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “Dressage Training”