Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Tanga
500 post plus club

Re: Of fly spray and soaked saddle pads: July and August goals and progress

Postby Tanga » Tue Aug 22, 2023 7:22 pm

Wow, mountaineer. I would never work that hard to get to a show. I know I am super, super lucky. I mostly show 20 minutes away. Though, sadly, the other close show is not doing them anymore. They used to do three a year, usually two day, but it's been one plague, catastrophe after another and they were just hit hard for four years. The shows I used to go to a long time ago up in Sonoma County and the valley just seem way too hard and long and expensive with traffic and gas.

And you are right about the scoring. Everywhere. You don't see anything much above the 60's beyond 1st, and those 8's are like gold now. (Osinksi DID give me two 8's on my walk pirouettes, though, and Routson an 8 on my canter zig zag in the GP.) I feel for you with the 59.9%'s. I have been solidly getting low to mid 60's on both horses for about 4-5 years, and this year I don't even want to count how many 59.9's I got. Ugh.

Oh well. I'm glad I'm old. I entered champs. I'm not going to even say how much it cost. My last hurrah. I can't do the GP, but I feel good about the GP freestyle, and USDF seems to have added a AA category for that, which is nice, so I don't have to compete against Olympians! I think I can do OK in the I-2, and looking at the scoring all over, I'm feeling very solid about Quinn at the PSG and I-1. Our scores are in the higher end compared to even the pros and fancy horses. The bracheocephallus under the scapula massage seems to have finally really fixed whatever happened 5 years ago where something seemed to get pulled/torn/hurt. Hopefully we stay OK with the weather. We've had some bizarre humidity for here (a tad of rain yesterday, but nothing So. Cal) and a few hotter days, but a cooler summer overall, and blissful compared to what most of the country is going through.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 24, 2023 2:31 pm

Do you think the growth of western dressage has to do with focusing more on training and less on fancy gaits?

khall

Postby khall » Thu Aug 24, 2023 4:04 pm

WD is definitely more accessible to a wide variety of horses and riders. Even gaited horses can compete. You don’t need a 5 or 6 figure horse to do well. Cedar rides her OTTB Majestic that she did the RRP competition with at the highest level 5 WD and does well with him. Also gives him points towards TIP.

I can see the attraction to the shows and people are asking for more competitions to be held. The tests are interesting different from typical dressage tests.

If I did not hate western saddles so much I might be more interested. There was also a brouhaha this year over what saddles are allowed. I’m not sure what the outcome was.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 24, 2023 5:04 pm

Those big western saddles don't let me feel my horse. Imho

I read a few tests. The side pass and the pivot are the only things I see as contradictory to " real" dressage but I only read to 4th level.

I might have to go watch a show.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:14 pm

I think western dressage is growing because of the BS gaits, the insane costs of horses and showing, and it gives people another option to show. I have never shown it, but judged it, and I think it's great. The tests are VERY similar to regular dressage, the criteria are very similar, and the directives are wonderfully clear. I was stressed the first time I judged it, but it really wasn't any different. And it was really cool to be ABLE to judge on training and not just gaits.

The last show I did was half western dressage with some at the highest level--the whole range from lowest to highest. Without "really" knowing, I judged the pivot as best I could, and asked the riders later, and was basically correct. She shows dressage, too, and basically said instead of going into it in a walk, you stop and then turn, which teaches the horse to pivot instead of picking the foot up.

I wouldn't want to buy or ride in a western saddle, though, either.

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:35 am

Western dressage is going like gangbusters here. It is far more affordable, open to many more horse 'types' and many of our schooling shows are a combination of classical dressage schooling classes and rated/recognized western dressage via the judges hired. In order to vie for awards, there are far fewer requirements than for the recognized classical dressage shows. I personally love my western saddle. Now there are plenty I hate riding in like my SO's; but my western saddle fits me and my horse. It is a barrel saddle so it's also lighter than many other styles/models. I have every intention of showing Junior in western dressage when it comes time to drop him down/step him back which hopefully will be after a gold medal. I agree I have less 'feel' with my western saddle but honestly even in my western saddle I'm able to achieve a lot of response with my aids including my seat. If I have to send one of my dressage saddles out for repairs or reflocking I end up schooling/training in my western saddle until it comes back. I feel that western dressage has the appeal that classical dressage once did for those of us coming from other disciplines. When I transitioned from hunter/jumpers it was because I had a sound horse on the flat but she could jump her way out of a paper bag. She was a TB (not OTTB) and a nice mover; but, I felt I had equal chances to compete and much of the assessment was based on the training as long as the horse had three pure gaits, not how much silver I and the horse wore (my AQHA and APHC days), not how high dollar and metronome the jumping of the horse was (hunter), not based on speed (games and jumping), not based on whose shingle I rode under, and not how extravagant of a mover my horse is. Those days are long gone in classical dressage, lets be honest. While I think there is still ways to progress in classical dressage for most of us meager/average/humans the judging has distorted so much of what dressage is supposed to be. Western dressage has at least 10-15 years IMO before it gets there too.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:46 pm

For awhile I thought I might transition A to western dressage, but there's not much of it going on here. WE has been increasing in the last year or two, which is nice to see. If I ever did go that route, I'd try to get a really stripped down saddle made by Mike Corcoran. He designed for Black Country and still does the Masters line of dressage and jumping saddles, so I imagine his western saddles would be pretty nice in terms of balance and contact.

Not much riding for me this week due to work and generally catching up on sleep. I do need to ride today though, as I have lessons Saturday and Sunday. Wednesday I did Ride iQ rider position lessons on both horses, so they got off the hook a little. T started out sluggish, but did get with the program eventually. My big order of kinesiotape and accessories arrived yesterday, so last night they both got some taping treatments. I definitely need practice, but they like it and it's kind of relaxing and fun. I've taped Annabelle's knee knee and it seems to be taking the swelling down on the right which was really taking it's time. Getting close to the wound closing up on that knee, now we just need to grow some hair! I haven't seen any yet to tell if it's going to come back white or chestnut. Hoping chestnut, but she is one that tends to grow back in white hairs.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Aug 25, 2023 3:24 pm

Interesting that WD is taking hold in AZ. There's hardly any going on that I've heard of here in UT.

Going to go ride today. I'm gearing us both down for a much needed three week vacation while we head to see our families.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Aug 26, 2023 5:06 pm

Moutaineer, I think Danielle did a WD clinic down in St. George last winter, so maybe there's a bit more going on down there?

I turned in the most high pressure/stress portion of my current work assignment yesterday. Even though the hours haven't been excessive, it's just been mentally draining. Next week will be tedium tying up all the loose ends, dotting our i's and crossing T's to show our work. But anyway, I forced myself to ride last night, and did a quick jump with A, working up to a 5-jump bounce series - just little X rails with like 12" jumps between. Then I got on T right at dusk and asked her to please not pick a fight because I didn't have the energy for it. Maybe it was because we hadn't ridden after dark under the arena lights in quite awhile, or maybe it was the kinesiotaping, or who knows, but she was really quite forward and we had a lovely ride. It is really tough to get her relaxed into a right bend, but you know those "aha" moments, where you get a few strides that you know you must keep trying to reproduce and get more of? We got a few of those on a trot volte at the end where I put her a little deeper and emphasized the bend. Suddenly there was "the elevator" her back came up and filled out my seat for a couple strides. We came around and did it again for maybe a 1/3 of the volte, and I praised the heck out of her and called it a day. Yes, if I can start accessing her back like that every ride, that will really change things. Looking forward to my lessons this weekend, though we got put at the end of the day this time and will be working up a good lather.

Annabelle's boots are suddenly not fitting her, so I'm thinking about trying my hand at the EasyCare glue ons. They use superglue and they now have one that is about the thickness of a regular shoe. Unfortunately they are not making that model in Tesla size yet, hopefully they'll expand the sizes so we can have that option in the future.
Keep calm and canter on.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:33 pm

I have been reading along but not participating because I still hit kind of a wall in my life. Just so much happening at once that train to get Lynx back into work was just not going to happen. I would hand walk him around the barn and over poles and do carrot stretches but that's about it. I couldn't be really consistent enough to actually get him into work.

My daughter did a few horse shows and a murder mystery game ride on a cross country course. So I got some horse exposure with that. I personally hate going to horse shows. I just got so stressed out and I honestly hate getting ready. I just hate the grooming and packing of the trailer. But I have to say I really love watching my daughter horse show. And I would take her to a horse show every month if she wanted.

I lunged Lynx yesterday and I thought he actually looked pretty good. He cantered easily both directions and seemed happy. The only thing I saw was coming down from the canter. It kind of lose the inside leg. Not super behind like they sometimes do but definitely something there. Kind of hoping with strength that that will go away. I think it's time to get consistent and get back on now that my daughter is in school and I think life is evening out a little.

Exvet, I'm curious if you know Nancy Hinz (I think it's the name) out of Texas? She is most known for riding a Welsh cob stallion?
Apparently someone from our barn might be bringing her in in November. So I'm hoping to watch and even more hopeful that I could be crazy enough to try and ride in it. I mean it is at our barn... I just feel that fire coming back into me now that life is evening now and I think things may actually be okay here. It's time

Have so been enjoying reading about all your progress and all the shows everybody's doing. It really helps keep me going to read about others horse lives.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:33 pm

Well I entered one more show. Fourth level. I'll take the winter to button up my flying changes and hope to do PSG next year . We shall see how it all turns out.

On a personal note today is my 38th wedding anniversary. I am really lucky to have chosen a very good human. Things get wrinkled and sag and Grey, but a sense of humor remains !

Kimba was up to 15 minutes walk and I made a 20 x 10 turnout for her but she considered it atacwvtrack x bucking chute despite being on a mild dose of ace.

So she is back to resting, giving me more time with Flei. I was wondering if Kimba would like WD . I might be misjudged but is it a uphill. Maybe a more stock horse posture might be easier post suspensory?

I think Honey will be my trail/ hunters place partner in place of Kimba and yes I have to many horses.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:28 pm

I've done a couple western dressage tests with Queso, and am going to the "world show" in Oklahoma next month. Only slightly panicking about it now.

Scores are 5-8% higher than my equivalent USDF tests bc they are scoring harmony higher than gaits. However, they still look for a generally uphill way of going with low/minimum tension.

Speaking of too many horses, I just bought a baby Queso relative (2023 colt out of Queso's full sister). Because succession planning is real, and because after a brief brush with layoffs I have job security again (for now). YOLO, y'all.

LSP I was thinking of you the other day. Hope all is well and getting easier!

I've ridden with Nancy Hinz before-- she's semi local to me. She had big success with a cob called Kentchurch Chime in the 1990s, and has both trained riders and horses through the FEI levels. She had a couple of successful young riders that did NAYRC in the mid 2010s. Definitely a great eye for ringcraft and polishing the tests.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Aug 27, 2023 10:35 pm

Good to hear from you LSP, and that life is evening out a little bit!

Chisamba, happy anniversary!

Ponichiwa, we will need to see baby pics of course!

Tesla came out moving wonky yesterday, so Annabelle got pressed into service for my lesson. It was hot and we wanted to preserve some horse in case I needed to ride her again today, so we kept it pretty short. Emphasis was on bending and putting the chest a little more towards the inside of the circle so the IH couldn't cheat and not take weight. We also did some halt, 1/4 TOF, back a step and trot off to get her a little more together.

Today T seemed just a little wonky on the right, but not really sore or uncomfortable, so we opted to go ahead and do a lesson. She was really good, and we got probably some of the best canter ever from her. Finally letting go in her back, getting some bend in her body and stepping under. Naturally I didn't think it would be worth setting up the camera today. But I have the feeling to work for, and it's nice to have things headed in the right direction!
Keep calm and canter on.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:57 am

Like LSP, also following along.

I am managing to get to the barn every-other-day. Mom is doing much better…except her memory. I hate to leave her for long. She sometimes can’t remember how to turn on the TV, or change the channel or even run her power recliner. I think I am going to look into getting a sitting service for a couple days a week so I can have a little more horse time a couple days a week. My trimmer retired so I am taking over her feet and I need to do them this week. All the little chores add up…both at home and the barn.

Kyra has been working quite well. She has been energetic and some days we just cruise around and I get her some aerobic exercise but most days I do some dressage work. This last week, I have start doing more lateral work. Today, unusually, she wanted to have more whoa than go. I wasn’t particularly energetic either and know she picked up on that. She also wanted to curl more than normal (riding in my bastard double bridle) but she felt good gait wise. It has been hot again and I know I am totally over it. Hopefully, if it will cool down (it is supposed to this week), I can get her out on the trail which might refresh things a bit.

OOH, a baby Queso relative! Pictures please!

I am glad you survived the show Mountaineer. I have had one of those royal out of town experiences and had to limp home (no the truck was fine but the horse and I had issues).

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Aug 28, 2023 5:40 am

LSP, ponichiwa beat me to it; but, I would say two thumbs up on Nancy. I watched her show Chime back in the day. She came up to Region 4 to show him to get her scores to qualify in order to go to Florida (too short for CDIs) but her dedication and sheer joy in riding that stallion convinced me that Welsh Cobs should be taken seriously.Two months later she had earned her gold. She has done right by her students and I think could give you some good pointers and homework to use.

Congrats ponichiwa on the new project. I too would love to see pictures. I'm waiting for Brandon's breeder to put Brandon's sister up for sale. If she does I'll be guilty of hiding one on my 'other' equine property.

Glad to hear your moving along with Kyra Susan. I do think horses keep us sane.

Chisamba your plan and approach sounds totally 'on' to me. I also think WD with Kimba might be the ticket. It would allow you to have some focused rehabilitation and if she's going along well with her recovery, classical dressage might not be out of the question. Honestly I think Junior would be stinking cute with his western gear.............

SF hope both your horses decide to leave the wonkiness in the past...............but it is one reason why I have two ;)

I had to work today but had enough time to get a ride on Brandon. It was really early, cool temps and nothing going on at the barn. He did really well. Hoping we can continue this trend.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:51 am

Ponichiwa and exvet, glad to hear that Nancy is a good rider/trainer! I think 2 months should be plenty of time to leg up Lynx and I. If not, my "nephew" horse could fill in.

I free lunged him today. Still looking good. Trainer is hopping on on Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

Lipsmackerpony88

Postby Lipsmackerpony88 » Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:54 am

Kyra's mom, my heart goes out to you and your mother. I took care of my grandmother for about 7 years (while raising a baby too.) It's so hard. You are an amazing daughter. And horsewoman!

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:52 pm

Um, yes please to baby Queso new member pics. Baby pics should be a given yes!

I'm closing out as a quite couple of quiet days barnwise and swamped workwise. The Keuring yesterday was a great educational experience but unfortunately for us no Ster designation. The judges were complimentary on her movement and overall structure but due to the deviation of her front legs when walking toward they could not award higher score to meet the requirement. No matter, Kora was a peach to present for the handler and we got to see a lot of different horses and some lovely foals. Still think I came home with the best horse of the day which is all that matters.

Broke the slightly bummer news to her breeder and she was so kind. She'd take her back in a heartbeat for broodmare so now I have at least 2 other people to be beating off with a stick for her.

Section Goals:
2 clean tests at recognized shows for July One clean test that was also a bonus of a win. Other Show cancelled due to floods
Increased flexibility and submission in positioning at canter leading to...
Flying Change Hell starting in August Successful start, we have an aid and working on clean efforts.
Ster designation at the Keuring No. Perhaps Sport Predicate next year.

Me: Start tackling those last 10 pounds Treadmill is shaving these down.
Last edited by Aleuronx on Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed Aug 30, 2023 8:32 am

My goal was to do a graded class at EM, and I did that, and it went better than expected. I'm going to ride the same test in a few weeks again, with the goal of improving one or two specific things.

We had a lovely jumping lesson yesterday:
https://youtu.be/tAUpwKJfMCo
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 30, 2023 6:01 pm

Well, we did a lot of stuff this summer!

Showing again for the first time in 4 years, along with a jump up to 3rd level, which was frankly a larger learning curve than I thought it would be. I didn't get my bronze scores, but I learned a lot, boosted my confidence and had fun.

And I feel like Potters and I have finally gelled into a team, which is huge.

Now I get a break and get to be a city girl for a couple of weeks.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu Aug 31, 2023 3:50 am

Close enough to close out, I say; I've had enough of this summer!

Annabelle - get those poor knees healed up, and probably get back under saddle at the end of July, see where we are with everything in August.
Success! Not too much farther to go with the knees. I don't think the left will have any scarring, the right, I'm not sure on, but it should be minimal. Better, she doesn't have any mental scars. Today someone who does some of the barn management and some teaching rode her. She really got her going nicely, and it was fun to see someone else ride her. Tomorrow she is going to give one of her students a lesson with A, and hopefully that will work in to 2x a week for a bit.

Tesla - Try to get her off property weekly. That is probably a stretch goal, but really what she needs. I was able to haul her out yesterday to the barn where we might show in August, and she was really stuck behind my leg and took SO MUCH work to get cantering. Ugh. Back at home this morning she was fine. At the end of July I'll ride a couple tests at the horse trials/schooling show, and then maybe sign up for opportunity classes at the recognized show the following weekend. Came pretty close on this as long as going to the vet counts. We made it to two shows, schooled off property 2-3 times and went to the vet twice.

Keep improving the canter. This morning I got her more long and low in the canter, and with more honest bend through her body. I could feel her hind legs working more effectively, and I think the penny is starting to drop.Yes, she can't hold it together, and we went through another phase of the doldrums, but she has almost an entirely different canter now.

Consistency in the contact - during parts of the ride she offers really nice contact, and then gets kind of "chattery" not just in the mouth, but she's sort of not through in her body and it's impossible to find a place to sit. I have a couple lessons scheduled this weekend, so I'm sure we'll make some progress with this. I'm also going to try putting her back in her Novocontact bit and see if her opinion of it has changed in the last six months.Meh. The NovoContact didn't work. I feel like there's a perfect bit out there, somewhere between the two Fager bits I'm alternating. In one I can get the lateral suppleness and in the other, I can get the contact. Tonight we had it out a little about letting me touch the left rein, and we discovered that she is able to trot completely sideways. Neat.

Jump once a week. I sold my AP saddle to someone at the barn, and just plunked down my credit card for a used Black Country QuantumX forward flap, so hopefully that will arrive next week and be the Cinderella slipper for my long femurs and Tesla's wide body. I got a forward flap saddle to try from my fitter and my knee was still creeping off the front of the flap when I pulled my knee up into jumping position.
Not quite, but we have jumped a few times. The new saddle is working out well. Ought to jump tomorrow.

Finally finish DRT3. I'd gotten halfway through and then decided to restart from week 1, and am now back up to week 7.Yes, finished two weeks ago!
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:32 am

My recap.
Kimba, still in rehab. Appointment for ultrasound Tuesday. We shall see where we stand. It might be the throw out for a year and see / continue safe rehab decision. She is not talky to stall rest andmay at have reinjured herself. She is a favorite mare so maybe worth breeding. Idk.
Saiph, I did the step down experiment and and stepping back up. As I said earlier. My last fourth level test next weekend and then get really good at the flying changes for PSG.
Flei over achieved. Went to his first schooling show. I think we may have limited his bucking episodes, working on letting him know it's OK to canter and that they're is a difference between canter and gallop. Lol. I admit to being a gwala, and not starting to canter sooner because of his tendency to buck.

Honey has accepted contact better, is slowly losing her broodmare big belly dropped back appearance and finally is less ribby. Of all my auction finds she was the skinnier, most feral and horribly scarred so every step forward is rewarding.

Kyras_Mom
Herd Member

Postby Kyras_Mom » Thu Aug 31, 2023 5:38 am

Since I had no goals…I am still managing my every other day schedule. Kyra has worked well. I am starting to incorporate more dressage work…lateral work. Her canter feels good enough to work in some counter canter. I need to work on myself badly. After Mom got sick they told me to feed her whatever she would eat…let me tell you, it wasn’t veggies. I am feeding me the same way as am feeding her only there is nothing wrong with my appetite . She is doing better food wise…I am not. I think the hot weather has finally let up so I need to get an exercise program going. I trimmed Kyra’s front feet yesterday and by the time I was done, my back was unhappy and I was sweating buckets. This was a 2 week trim and front feet only. If I am going to trim, I have to find some more muscle. I will attempt the hinds this weekend.

I did get compliments from one of the new barn owners about how nice she was moving so I need to keep it up with the old lady. I still haven’t had her broken tooth dealt with. She hasn’t had a bit of trouble with it. She is eating well, no bad or funky breath so I think I will haul her to the vet for her dental and reXray her jaw. If it is stable, I think I am going to leave it alone. I am really hesitant to cut a hole in her face if there is no deterioration.

Susan

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu Aug 31, 2023 1:32 pm

Monty has a broken tooth that doesn't really bother him either. No odor, no swelling. His owner (and I've agreed) decided not to pursue extraction due to the toll we think it would take on him at his age. Doesn't seem to affect him when he's being ridden either.

We managed to get through our schooling show in July with the win of Brandon being relaxed away from home. It also allowed us to practice our tests in front of a S judge. My biggest win this round was taking a couple of lessons from another USEF judge who has been in my own backyard for years but I've never had the opportunity to ride with her (used to show with her 20 years ago under the same coach). She probably has given me the 'most' lightbulb moments on both horses than anyone has in a long time. We are still working on improving the quality of the gaits on both boys - baby steps, always baby steps. I have also discovered that Brandon, my little princess, goes so much better when he has his bonnet on and a fly mask over his bridle. He is quite the princess and the pea.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:06 pm

I'm a bit late closing out - as per usual, "where does the time go?!?" - but here's what I said I'd do the past 60d:

Ponichiwa wrote:Goals this time around:
- Maintain: diet & exercise; try to at least not gain weight when trapped indoors
- Online show: aiming for 65+% at 3rd
- Address this connection issue by 1) lessons, 2) actually addressing it every working ride (vs trailrides, which we need for our sanity and to just survive the heat)

Overall grade: B. Slight backsliding on the diet and exercise due to many excuses: more job panic at work (I hate layoffs, but I've survived another round of reorganizational musical chairs), and oppressive relentless heat. Got a 63% at 3rd, which is almost a 65 but for a couple bobbles in the contact.

However, I recently rode in a clinic (where it was 109F/43C, pls kill me) and in between waterbreaks for me and ice water/alcohol rubs for Queso we worked on timing breathing with the movements and honestly it was transformational to the connection. I haven't been consciously holding my breath, exactly, but the transition to consciously using breath as an aid (or reward, if breathing out) was eye-opening. And a lot of the circular bracing just melted when I used breathing out as a release. Highly recommend it, y'all.

exvet

Postby exvet » Tue Sep 05, 2023 1:41 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:I'm a bit late closing out - as per usual, "where does the time go?!?" - but here's what I said I'd do the past 60d:

Ponichiwa wrote:Goals this time around:
- Maintain: diet & exercise; try to at least not gain weight when trapped indoors
- Online show: aiming for 65+% at 3rd
- Address this connection issue by 1) lessons, 2) actually addressing it every working ride (vs trailrides, which we need for our sanity and to just survive the heat)

Overall grade: B. Slight backsliding on the diet and exercise due to many excuses: more job panic at work (I hate layoffs, but I've survived another round of reorganizational musical chairs), and oppressive relentless heat. Got a 63% at 3rd, which is almost a 65 but for a couple bobbles in the contact.

However, I recently rode in a clinic (where it was 109F/43C, pls kill me) and in between waterbreaks for me and ice water/alcohol rubs for Queso we worked on timing breathing with the movements and honestly it was transformational to the connection. I haven't been consciously holding my breath, exactly, but the transition to consciously using breath as an aid (or reward, if breathing out) was eye-opening. And a lot of the circular bracing just melted when I used breathing out as a release. Highly recommend it, y'all.

Thank you, I believe this is similar to the problem I was having (also unconsciously) of bracing my back in the flying changes on Junior and I realized I was doing it a little on Brandon in regards to other work. I would love to hear more about what was shared in the clinic and how or when to apply breathing. I've certainly use it for downward transitions...........that's kind of ingrained but the transitions upward, different story or lateral work when things go wonky............

Return to “Dressage Training”