In like a lion, out like a lamb - March and April Goals and Progress

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: In like a lion, out like a lamb - March and April Goals and Progress

Postby Chisamba » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:47 pm

So on Monday Saiph had the day off, in Tuesday the warm up is all about loose, supple power to the connection. Mikhail came work so I have a few snippets is video.

https://youtube.com/shorts/RHIvbEwyC8Y? ... JVJvuCcgYw

Tomorrow we will work in a more collected posture.

khall

Postby khall » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:41 pm

Super Cedar clinic this past weekend. Joplin and I are learning some new skills too. Long reining and long lining Cedar style. It’s been awhile since I’ve done much long lining. Cedar has some good exercises that will help Joplin to progress in her strength and understanding of the work. We worked on FCs. R to L is good and clean. L to R need to improve the L canter more. Especially straightness. So that’s our focus right now. All had good lessons and showed good progress. Lani stole the show though!

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/KPoFS8n8Xuxp5ABG/?

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/RedY4ycJnbBiHA3a/?

Nice video chisamba! Glad you are feeling good progress with Saiph.
Yeah mountaineer! What a good partnership you have developed with your fun boy!!

Hope all are enjoying the spring weather those of us who are coming into spring now. Eclipse was a non event here. I was riding with Cedar.

Update on the PH saddle. Definitely not the right tree for Joplin and I should get a full refund back. I’ll just stick with my leather tree Hildago saddles now that we’ve figured the dressage saddle out and have new panels coming to try that have fuller design and can distribute weight better than then smaller panels on it now. Joplin is comfortable in it now and with the straighter tree it’s more stable.

Mom is having a down turn. Not sure if she will bounce back or not. Not fun watching your parent slowly succumb to dementia.

Happy riding all!

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:10 am

Thank you all for welcoming me back, it's been so long. It's so great to look at how everyone's doing.

Yay for Team Palomino! I remember Ponichiwa's Queso when he was just a baby -- maybe we need to arrange for a Team Palomino reunion at the AQHA World Show in their dressage classes! Hahaha.

Exvet - Ha, you know me, I'm the worst person to complain to about the low scoring on a QH. I want a horse who will go for a trail ride, pack my niece safely, and will work a cow, I'll take that 63 with a smile!

My sweet yellow gelding is such a good fellow. In the past week or two he's starting to really catch on to my subtle seat cues. I'm so used to my red rocket Cowpony whom I've ridden for 20 years and can read my thoughts now, this big lug of a horse felt like a wrecking ball -- no start, no stop, no turn, he didn't hear me at all. But he's suddenly starting to hear me! It's a great feeling and a big milestone of success for me. For like 20 minutes I was able to move him up and down the gears from halt to bigger trot all off my seat.

Man I am enjoying the heck out of him. He's just trying so hard. Meets me at the gate and loves to snuggle with me. I definitely feel like I won :-)
Attachments
436305745_10233817209994533_5590929588203329948_n.jpg
436305745_10233817209994533_5590929588203329948_n.jpg (31.93 KiB) Viewed 1033 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 12, 2024 11:52 am

khall, wishing you peace as you go through the painful process of losing a parent.hopw those cute horses I'd yours can keep you smiling.

Kelo what a wrinkly cute muzzle.

There was earlier in the thread adiacussion about warming up in a long stretch to contact. I have a video of my warm up if anyone wants to see it.

I bring Saiph home this week and go back to too long between eyes on the ground fixing my riding habits that have limited me and my horses to 4th level. I should have bought a lotto ticket. :)

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 12, 2024 5:04 pm

I find long-lining so tricky--i feel like i always end up tripping over ropes or running around, but you look like you're doing it well, Khall!
So sorry to hear about your mom, sending you hugs.

Chisamba, wow, Siaph looks great and that crossing is really fantastic--she looks very limber through the body. I'd be interested in seeing the warm up on long stretch to contact. I do something similar to what you described with RP, but would be curious to see the version your trainer has had you do with Siaph as well.

Work has suddenly become chaos again, much like it was last fall. And I'm already facing the reality that the rest of April and May will likely have very little riding. So that stinks.

RP has finally found comfort in his front shoes--though ti has put him more on the forehand than he was previously. Next week we'll add in the back ones, so hopefully that'll get him feeling balanced again though I anticipate another adjustmetn period--though maybe a shorter/easier one.

I was thinking about doing 1 day of a show next weekend (entries are due today, so I can still change my mind), but I'm starting to second think it because i will be traveling for work every week for the next 4 weeks, including 2 international trips. But I also know i will regret not being there when next saturday comes around! If i don't do this show, my next option wont' be until June.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:18 pm

Nice videos of Saiph and Gaila. They are both really developing nicely!

I didn't have a very productive week - tried to jump on Thursday but T tossed a front shoe just when I'd put everything up to verticals. Waiting on some leather hoof pads that will be here Monday, so I trimmed her up and then had a good barefoot ride last night. She was up to her wonky stuff in back with the canter, but I could get good bits here and there if I could get her lower in the poll and slowing her strides down a bit. So I guess my western pleasure background is coming in handy in a weird way :lol: at the end, I let her do her overly big/fast stretchy trot, and then since she was really going for it, I picked the reins up and we went for a medium across the diagonal where she's opened up better than I've gotten in quite awhile. My barn buddy said it was pretty spectacular. So I think I can rule out that the shoes are protecting her from foot soreness. It is probably more that the better base of support and extra traction in the back makes the difference.

On the bad news front, my barn is probably closing. There is a chance that a few people will go in together and buy it to run as a co-op, but that would mean three people all being able to procure large sums of money in the next few weeks. If not, we need to be out by the end of June, and I'll probably have to start driving ~40 minutes across town to where most of the English discipline barns. OTOH, it might be the kick in the butt that I need to move somewhere with a proper, level dressage court. Access to trails is better over that way too.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Apr 13, 2024 7:31 pm

Today we had the least dramatic, in the air, clean flying changes evah! I think I've finally learned/figured out that to get and keep a decent canter with jump that I have to maintain an almost renver feel when I'm on the left lead. This seems to straighten Junior just enough and keep that right shoulder where it's supposed to be. Need to wash, rinse and repeat some more to be sure today wasn't a fluke; but, it sure was nice even if it doesn't last.

Thanks to SF, we have a winner for the double bridle. I actually found a steal of a deal for a new cob sized double bridle for Junior through my Welsh Cob connections. Someone had purchased it for a Cob cross that they subsequently sold, so never used. I was giddy to find that it fits Junior perfectly. Then after three sets of bits (bradoon and curb) didn't work (two didn't fit and Monty's? well, Junior just didn't like them), I believe the titanium Fager combo is our ticket to a happier mouth. Junior and I thank you SF.

In the same vein, since I have the king of energy conservationists to ride, I have found that what has also worked (in addition to the exercises I've been posting) is taboo to tradition and conventional true horsemen wisdom. Junior's canter is improving a LOT because I'm hand galloping and/or very forward but collected canter everywhere including heading towards home/the barn. It has really allowed me to show him that cantering not only can be fun but at least when we throw all caution to the wind cantering can be exciting which to a Welsh Cob justifies utilizing more calories than one otherwise would.

My other head scratcher is Brandon's behavior. Not bad, actually, but he's going really, really well in my western saddle. His bully personality is of course still present and his mouthiness continues when he's not happy or getting his way; but, over all his balance and movement is so much more solid. I so do NOT want to go through another saddle search. The albion SLK still fits him which is why I sent it out to get the billets replaced as opposed to trying to sell it; but, I may have to start experimenting. I was able to canter Brandon all over the trails today and in the arena without him trying to take over or run on his forehand which is a first, at least for the length of time he sustained it today. So if any of you have found a dressage saddle that seems to fit or feel to a horse (princess and the pea-type) like a well fitted western saddle I'm open to suggestions even if my wallet is starting to cry.

khall

Postby khall » Sat Apr 13, 2024 8:42 pm

Exvet have you thought about a leather tree? The hildago is a unique saddle and much more affordable than many dressage saddles. Funny about the renvere in L lead. That is exactly what Cedar is having me do with Joplin to improve the strength and straightness L to get a clean L to R change. Joplin changes but is just a bit slow with her hind legs L to R. R to L are clean.

Thanks blob on the compliment re long lining. Cedar had done a lecture on long lining Saturday during the clinic and we were able to do some simulations both as rider and as the horse. Cedar has such good practical information on horse training from babies to GP. Just love working with her!

Appreciate the thoughts and support with mom. As many of you know this dealing with aging and ill parents is not an easy thing to go through. Second go around after dad was diagnosed in 2017 with dementia and died 2020 before pandemic. Mom has bounced back a bit. Seems to have had a bad reaction to cipro. She’s had it before without this issue but as fragile as she is at 87 just doesn’t take much. Have wonderful caring caregivers that take so much of the burden off me. Very blessed to have them because there is no way she could stay here on the farm in her apartment without them. Needs 24/7 care now. Has since late fall. We are planting flowers for her small raised bed and pots. Her roses are blooming already. Mom has always enjoyed her flowers so we accomodate. DH I and one of her caregivers all pitch in to keep it pretty for her.

Kelo my palomino would be out of place at QH show:). She’s half Lusitano and half Oldenburg. A month old now

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/Yc1qgVHgRmLFAKqL/?

Mowing is calling again. Happy riding all!

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Apr 13, 2024 9:04 pm

I actually have not really looked into the leather trees. I will look into the hildago and see if it makes sense. Thank you.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:16 am

Well, I found a new barn. As in, it is still being built. We are moving in early May, so that happened fast. It is a pretty decent location and just about 10 horses. No indoor, but the arena seems to drain well and the wind doesn't tend to be as crazy down there, so hopefully we won't miss out on too much riding.

New shoes going on tomorrow and getting ready to ride with Leslie this weekend.
Keep calm and canter on.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:03 pm

What a pain to have to move barns, SF. I hope the new one works well for you!

I'm a bit under the weather this week so riding has been a bust. I've got to stagger down to the barn today to drop off feed, but that's as close as I'm going to get to a horse until Monday, I think.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:20 pm

Maia's been battling a teensy fingertip-sized abscess since early January. It's finally reached surface level, and it's a bit too ouchy now to ride through.Not too sore to be out bucking and running :roll: After over a week of soaking, plus a few days of drawing poultice, hasn't popped. I'm almost at the point where I tell her to suck it up — my added weight is insignificant, and we just won't do any tight canter circles or turns on the haunches until it's healed.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 pm

It's been nice to read everyone's updates.

Sending jingles for those dealing with ouchy feet, missing shoes, illness, and other hurdles.

Work has been very busy the last couple of weeks, which meant I rode last week, but not at all during the week, I'll get to ride this weekend (if it doesn't rain), and then I'm traveling all of next week. So it'll be a lot of stuttering around. MM will get some rides from a friend while i'm busy. But RP is just on a bit of a vacation. It's a shame because he's been feeling great lately.

He'll get his hind shoes on in May and i'm ready for that to happen TODAY as ever since he's gotten the front shoes, he's been more on the forehand, which makes sense. And so i'd like those back shoes in place to be able to sit him back again.

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:04 pm

It's been nice to read everyone's updates.

Sending jingles for those dealing with ouchy feet, missing shoes, illness, and other hurdles.

Work has been very busy the last couple of weeks, which meant I rode last week, but not at all during the week, I'll get to ride this weekend (if it doesn't rain), and then I'm traveling all of next week. So it'll be a lot of stuttering around. MM will get some rides from a friend while i'm busy. But RP is just on a bit of a vacation. It's a shame because he's been feeling great lately.

He'll get his hind shoes on in May and i'm ready for that to happen TODAY as ever since he's gotten the front shoes, he's been more on the forehand, which makes sense. And so i'd like those back shoes in place to be able to sit him back again.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 20, 2024 11:18 pm

Cross-posting from my Leslie Morse clinic thread:

Video from our ride with Leslie today. She felt T was doing much, much better. She had me put her deeper and rounder while maintaining contact. I'm glad I have the video, because it felt like I had her lower and deeper than she actually was. She suggested shoulder stretches, as basically the hind end is working in the canter now, but she's tight in front and needs to get the front end out of the way. I was doing the shoulder stretches and slacked off over winter. Riding again tomorrow, so I'll start out with this in the warmup and see where she has us go from there. Also going to shim the right side of my saddle as it was slipping to the right but more at the cantle so that my right foot looked lower and she had me shorten that stirrup, so I was riding around with one shorter leg, which perhaps was necessary if the saddle was so off-kilter.

https://youtu.be/q2zJpXCbm_c

One of the upsides of moving is that we'll have a much more level outdoor, which I think will be a big advantage to working on this canter issue. If my current barn stays open and I go back in the fall, hopefully T will have learned to carry herself and gained the strength to deal with our slope more.

I was pretty impressed with her the other day when I set up the "circle of death" with some crossrails and she cantered around 2x in both directions like it was child's play. Last year it was a challenge just to do the two jumps on a circle. We did start losing our lead when I put two of the jumps up to 2'6" verticals, but she could still stay on the circle and make it all the way around.
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Apr 21, 2024 4:02 am

OK all, just for grins, go off course to the "Rider Health/Fitness" forum, 'Rider fitness programs' post and scroll down to Chisamba's entry near the bottom. Second paragraph. And Chisamba, no fair editing your posting before others can read it. Ahoy, matey!

khall

Postby khall » Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:49 pm

SF T is really swinging in her trot these days!

Did not get much accomplished after the clinic. More in a holding pattern. Now off to Utah for vacation. Heading to see Zion National Park and having a visit to Bryce Canyon as well. Doing some hiking and riding.

Mom still up and down.

I did sign up for a schooling show first weekend of May. A friend is going to lunge fluffy Joplin for me while I’m gone.

Summer here we come! Supposed to be a hot one. Bugs are horrid already. Nasty biting gnat things that drive the horses and people nuts.

Happy riding all! And foal spam

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/AD3CpEqVbQFYc4xq/?

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:25 pm

SF, she's looking really good here--and so are you! What a pretty spring weekend you had, too--which makes a difference. Looking at my clinic videos this morning it was cold and you can tell!

It will be interesting to see how she goes at the new barn. New footing, level arena.

Khall, enjoy Southern Utah! What a nice time of year to be there. I'm sorry your mother isn't doing so well.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:30 pm

Have fun khall! We love the trails at both Zion and Bryce. It's relatively close for us so we often take friends and family to these places along with Moab and the Grand Canyon when we can.

Thanks for the notes SF. Looks and sounds like a very rewarding time.

Well I think we've got the FC down in that I know exactly where and what type of canter I need and the forward I need to get a clean change in the air both directions. Now getting and keeping Junior through consistently is continuing to be a work in progress but I got three clean changes across the diagonal today so there's hope and progress ;) Riding him in the double is helping him realize he must stay up in front on back on this hind legs.

Another bit change, a new girth and my saddle fixed is producing better rides with Brandon. Not sure which piece the princess prefers or likes the most so for now I'm just going to keep the new combination going. It's also helping cantering him all over hill and dale too.

I must say I've never met so many people who are not willing to move their horses out over open land. The footing is quite good but fear is very real in so many riders. I get being smart and don't fault self-preservation one bit; but, I truly find it sad in some ways and grateful that my guys are at least obedient in this way. I really feel like I'm reliving some of my childhood just ripping around (in good form of course LOL) and throwing all caution to the wind. My horses seem to appreciate it too.

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:43 pm

SF a big relief on the barn find for moving. I can't imagine the stress but agree with others it looks like from even the Leslie video a level arena with good footing is going to be your catalyst.

I've been keeping along with you all but just focused, busy and then my husband and I were off to vacation which we never do. The break was incredible and very much needed. Now back and hitting the ground running with the New England show season about to kick off. 4 entries in already for a mix of schooling shows, ride-reviews and recognized.

I had my first lesson with trainer back from Florida today and it was like putting on a well fitted pair of boots. Recapped the winter since I last saw her in January for winter pitstop clinic and where I thought we were struggling. Go figure it was that 10% last bit of throughness and holy heck did Kora feel amazing and effortless. We even got a 'good job' on our winter homework for the pirouette canter. We did do our homework!

I also got the nod of approval for my 3rd 3 test plan, so that is not taken lightly. As said we will be testing the waters with low cost of failure ventures first to see the changes off property and in a show environment and with any luck by June ready to rock with the big kids.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:36 pm

SF--I like the video with Leslie. Good improvement. Your mare reminds me so much of Quinn. She can get so tight and tense and does that leg stomp thing. The big change in her has been the scapula neck release and a LOT of work like you did--really up over the back and loose and relaxed and round in the head, but not by rein, but through forward.

First show on Sunday. (We lost 7 of the local shows here this year, so have gone from a wealth to a scarcity.) Super, super, super happy with Quinn and the GP feels easy--showing I-2 and GP, and so confident we can get a 60+, I already entered the next show for GP and GP fs. (Yes, I already put the test and music together, just a little tweaking we can do in three weeks.) And I'm letting a friend ride Quilla to get her bronze, so she's showing her one 1st and two 2nds. I told her I expect 70's. :) Quilla is having a blast playing I get to do lower levels. And though I was a bit worried about it, even with four people riding both of them, both horses are doing better and are happier. I expect maybe one more year of champs, so next year I'll show both I-2 and GP and just see what happens, but this lower level focus has really helped Quilla.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Apr 24, 2024 1:59 pm

Thank you all for watching the video and the nice comments. Tanga, Leslie recommended daily shoulder stretches for her, so I went out to do that last night. She was not having it with her right leg when I started even though we've done it plenty before. I started working on her with the laser and she seemed to like it on her forearm - the rear part felt rock hard, much harder than the left leg. So I proceeded on to alternating stretching and working on the muscle a bit with the massage gun, and she eventually started letting me put the foot forward onto a slant SureFoot pad, and it seemed to be helping loosen something up. Finished up by kinesiotaping the limb to see if that will help things relax a little more. I'll keep after it - I think the setup with stretching onto the SF pad will be helpful because it targets the back of the leg more than the shoulder, and she can push into it all she wants without murdering my back.

Yesterday we had a play over the jumps and she was nicely maneuverable over a little course.

Lessons with my regular instructor Thursday/Friday, though it looks like it will be blowing a gale and maybe getting some rain too.

Aleuronx, glad you have your regular trainer back and the winter persistence is paying off!

Tanga, good luck at the show!

ETA: This was grabbed from a weird C/T transition, but I find it very interesting that she can do this. Need to figure out how to talk her into getting her front end up and out in the canter.
Attachments
439341966_2189062401453036_2265204422883923504_n.jpg
439341966_2189062401453036_2265204422883923504_n.jpg (46.48 KiB) Viewed 368 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 pm

I think the you'll see a lot of difference with the shoulder work, straightforward. I like to get in under the scapula and stretch and push her whole neck away, and Quinn LOVES it. And I see a real difference when I ride if I do it or don't. That is a FABULOUS picture. We are working on this same stuff.

I think the show will go well despite me feeling like crap and testing positive for the first time ever for Covid last Tues., getting Paxlovid, feeling better, testing negative, started feeling bad yesterday, tested a much stronger positive today! I haven't heard of this happening! I will mask up if I go anywhere, but sleeping/sitting the day away. At least I don't feel like everything in my body hurts and I can't make it stop like last week--just feels like a cold.
Last edited by Tanga on Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed Apr 24, 2024 8:14 pm

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:32 pm

Tanga, I had the paxlovid rebound thing. I was sicker than I was first time round. And that was saying something.

I had a good ride on a very "up" Potters on Monday. A brisk wind led to (horrors!) grass blades blowing around... But we survived the terror and got some nice, straightforward work. With an emphasis on the "straight." I've had to work and do medical appointments for a couple of days, but I will ride tomorrow. The saddle fitter is going to be out, so I'll have her give my saddle a once over before the summer season starts. It has been on another horse several times recently and I can feel the difference. No good deed goes unpunished.

Trying to plan some shows and clinics this summer. I think if I hit the two recognized shows that are two different shows over two days at the barn 15 minutes from home, and then go to Estes Park for 3 days in August (I think I have a shared ride for Potters out there so I shouldn't be quite so beat up by the whole experience this year,) that will be plenty.

There are two other shows within striking distance, that I feel a bit guilty about not supporting, but they are just in an awkward place--It's about an hour and a half from the barn so over 2 hours from here, and whilst the horses can stay the night there are no hotels within at least half an hour of the venue, at which point you think "well, I might as well drive home and sleep in my own bed rather than spend the evening alone in a crummy hotel." But then you are spending the best part of 4.5 hours in the truck a day for one ride. And it's stinking hot out there in the dusty, treeless desert, too--and you can't just get a day stall, so if we did go down there for the day just to grab a quick ride, there's no place to get out of the sun.

At this stage in my life, I'm doing this for fun, and that's not sounding like fun.

The plan is for third level done well this year.

I'm also pondering a schooling show in about 3 weeks, but it's the day before we go on vacation so it might just be too much added stress.

Charlotte Bredahl (who is my trainer's trainer) is supposed to be coming to our barn in late June, and I'd like to ride with her if it isn't too ridiculously expensive. And I'm sure Mette will be out at some point too.

So, lots of interesting things to do!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:23 pm

Thanks, mountaineer,. I did not know it was a rebound thing. Glad I'm not worse! I get you on the showing thing at this stage in life--it needs to feel fun.

I hope you get to ride with Charlotte. I've known her a long time and really admire her. It's a bummer she doesn't really like judging, so we never get to ride under her anymore. I really like Mette, too! Old school people I've known since way back when. Sure appreciating the "old" people!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:23 pm

blob

Postby blob » Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:15 am

I'm going ahead and closing out since i'm still traveling and will likely only get 1 more ride in before April is over!

blob wrote:
Me
Continue to workout at home I was very good for awhile until travel picked up
Continue to find time/ways to ride as work gets busy
Eat healthy
Continue to log/track my rides in journal was going great until the last 3 weeks or so

MM
Keep fitness/consistent riding going thanks to other people riding her!
Jump more
Focus more on real dressage work, not just frolicking around
But also continue to frolic around!

RP
Make a decision about shoes
Continue target rehab/strength building work
Use poles more regularly
Re-introduce cantering up hills
Continue to really work on the lateral work
Organize and plan for more shows

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:02 pm

I haven't shown Kimba much lately, here is an exercise exvet might like.

https://youtu.be/vT1UOYTEw_0?si=iEpq5ZNBRcQJFS1r

Travers in walk to 3 strides canter to walk.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:24 pm

Thank you chisamba! I will try it out today if we don't get rained out, if so, tomorrow ;)

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:43 pm

Color me pleasantly surprised! First official dipping of toes in 3rd level yesterday at a schooling show with a quality S judge. We won on a 66.375% at our first go of 3rd3! It was honestly primarily a fact find mission, aka can we do flying changes in a show warm-up, can we do flying changes in a test etc. So very pleased that she went so well and the facts found were yes, we can! We did 3x changes each way in the warm-up and she was listening and honest. They're certainly not confirmed, I'd call them 85% but the better I ride them the better they go, figures. The nitty-gritty was the trot work was good but purposely underpowered (success for me that ride was to stay in the lines but no pizzazz), the walk was s#!$ and both TOH atrocious but we can neaten those up, half pass was a highlight with 7.5's and we got a 6.5 for first change (comment was clean but late on line, I took an extra stride to prep so not upset with that) and a 7.0 for the other.

Big pats and treats for Kora, we will take the facts found and work on the test from there. Judge is very honest type and not one to blow schooling show smoke so I felt confident enough to send in entry for an recognized show that I was waffling on for early June. A freestyle might be in the mix sooner than later...

Good luck today Tanga!! Make the show vibes be good ones!

Seems appropriate to close-out

Section Goals:
3rd 3 - start working the trot and canter tours Check! We work the lines/elements but not the full test to keep anticipation in check
Flying changes - Smooth the left to right, sharpen the right to left Work in progress, current the l-r is smoother but the r-l is lacking
More bend without head tilt in the half-pass This is improved!
Lesson w/Trainer back from Florida in April and get work plan Check! We are aligned and in good stead.
Schooling show or 2 in April? Check! Good first experience and we have more on the docket for May

exvet

Postby exvet » Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:18 am

Congrats Aleuronx!

I had two lessons today and chisamba, my instructor really likes your exercise. It's helping both boys. I got one of the best compliments. She said that Junior was the most supple she's ever seen. His changes were in the air and he was trying really hard. She loved his half passes. I took an exercise from JJ Tate that is really working - trot half pass from the corner to X, halt and side pass over in order to loosen up the hind end. It really helps both boys get a better trot. Even Brandon worked much better in this lesson than last. We got the counter canter both directions and there were moments, well more than moments, where he really got on my aids and just stayed there. I was very pleased with both boys today. I'm off tomorrow so get to ride once more before close out.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Apr 29, 2024 2:55 am

Aleuronx, you are lucky to get decent judges for schooling shows! Ours are a bit mixed... to put it politely.

Looking forward to a solid week of riding. With luck it has stopped raining but it is a bit chilly.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:57 pm

Chisamba wrote:I haven't shown Kimba much lately, here is an exercise exvet might like.

https://youtu.be/vT1UOYTEw_0?si=iEpq5ZNBRcQJFS1r

Travers in walk to 3 strides canter to walk.

Dankie! I want to try too :D
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:00 pm

Thanks all! Pretty chuffed to start off the season that way.

Mountaineer, it is a perk of being in the Northeast as there is a relatively high concentration of r-S judges around but not every schooling show is so lucky. Next weekend I have an r judge which is great but I remember last year having one of the first graduated L judges that was less than suitable even for a 2nd level test. I took that score, rolled my eyes and moved on as it was still great in ring experience.

Return to “Dressage Training”