May the horse be with you. And June

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

May the horse be with you. And June

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 02, 2024 4:14 am

I couldn't resist the star ways reference.

I think I sold Honey to a good home so that's a great .

All my horses, establish better connection and muscling over the back to improve the stuff they already know. I have raised the chasm between South and PSG and the Is is a bit wide for me, so I'm stepping back to step forward.

Saiph, straight uphill flying change.

Kimba get the best out of her naturally problematic canter .

Flei. Time to really get confirmed leg yields and anything inside leg to outside rein.

Me, more riding fitness. I think by not quite being fit enough I have kind of ridden the horses easily instead of going for oomph.

Also me, bring more ambidextrous riding. Truly turn my shoulders left when going left and .

That should take a couple of months or a lifetime

heddylamar

Re: May the horse be with you. And June

Postby heddylamar » Thu May 02, 2024 4:36 am

You don't know the power of the dark side ;)

We're a month out from leaving Texas, and still haunted by that darn abscess! I'm hoping the farrier can trim Maia's foot in a way that relieves a bit of the pressure tomorrow. For the most part she's sound on it ... but 10 meter circles are painful. Hopefully I get a few decent rides in before we head to Maryland.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu May 02, 2024 6:59 am

Still the same mission of more and more and more. Gone a bit backwards, because I'm having back issues again and I haven't sat the trot in about a month. Which has also nixed the planned competing and progression and I'm just disappointed and grumpy about it.

If I have to find a silver lining, it's that I've mostly been doing canter work, which has improved my own canter fitness, much to Odin's dismay.

We are trying to improve our changes on the diagonal, the straightness specifically. Super challenging for the most wriggly horse in the world.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Thu May 02, 2024 12:59 pm

I am in for 2 recognized shows in June so taking a big gulp and putting this out into the universe as a written goal...

Section Goals:
Improve the activity of TOH
Consistency of the changes and dip toes into tempis
4-5 Lessons w/Trainer
Score 63%+ at 3rd 3 (Sport predicate and freestyle qual...)

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu May 02, 2024 1:19 pm

June here we come ;) I to hope to see better scores at our only recognized show this summer (it's a 2 in one show over a weekend). I was notified that Brandon is in the running for first level for USDF All-Breeds so we're going to show both first and second level. My goal is to really raise our median at first which will require a quiet mouth and a far more relaxed horse coming over the back. It will be his debut at second level. Our focus is simply going to be improving the relaxation and suppling. He knows the movements at both levels. At some point he's going to have to accept that I'm in charge and be okay with that.

Junior - fourth level - flying changes - you guys know the drill. Primary Goal - effortless flying changes that are correct. I just want a 6 worthy FC both directions. He can shine on all the other stuff. Work will continue to focus on quality of the canter and quicker hind feet.

We'll have a test run at the schooling show in 2 weeks to see if we're heading in the right direction and then one month to polish.

Me - I have planned a rim-to-rim hike at the grand canyon in October so I will be getting physically ready for that. I've already started back running and have a few 'smaller' hikes on the schedule. I've done rim-to-rim a few times before but always going south to north. This time my friends and I will be going north to south (longer hike but not as long of an ascent which is the killer). I'll be 61 then and would like to be able to get this done one more time before it is simply too dangerous to tackle again. The views are stunning. I of course hope that this will help my riding and vice versa.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Thu May 02, 2024 2:43 pm

The plan here is to head for a schooling show in a couple of weeks to kick off the season, then I'm off on vacation to Sicily for a couple of weeks.

Once we get back I will have less than 2 weeks to get it together to do our first recognized shows of the year, so, less pasta, more walking while we are away!

I'll just be doing 3.1 at these shows.

Towards the end of June, I have a clinic ride with Charlotte Bredahl, which should be fun.

Immediate pre-show goal is to do what i need to to tidy up the trot half pass to the left. The one to the right is pretty nice, but going left is a bit wiggly. Of course it has nothing to do with the half pass and everything to do with the preparation and I'm now trying too hard.

A day off for both of us today after 3 training rides in a row. I need to do that wretched work thing and he needs a lounging around in the sunshine day.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Thu May 02, 2024 3:20 pm

Moving barns on Saturday. We're going to a jump schooling show Saturday morning and we'll see how I handle the 2'6". I know T can handle it just fine.
The following weekend I signed up for 1st-2 and 2nd-1 at a schooling show.

Goals:
See where having a flatter arena leads us.
Get into a new routine since the drive to the barn is farther with more traffic to deal with.
Possibly show recognized in June. Probably need to decide pretty soon. Overall goal would be to get ready for July recognized show, but it all hinges on our canter work.
Maybe go cross-country schooling.
Like Chisamba and others - ride with more Oomph, more engagement and self-carriage on my part.
Keep calm and canter on.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Fri May 03, 2024 5:36 am

A cavaletti exercise in my jumping lesson this week. I kept a half-seat for most of my rounds, to give my back a break.

https://youtu.be/YrmwNSUbh-M
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

blob

Postby blob » Fri May 03, 2024 1:44 pm

What a fun title!

This time around, I'll have a weird/patchy May with lots of travel, but hopefully a focused June!

Me
Find time to ride in May
Exercise when not riding
Eat healthy on the road

MM
Ensure she gets ridden even when i'm traveling/not able to
Add in more jump/pole days
Add in more focused dressage days
Start playing with some WE exercises

RP
Get hind shoes on
Show in June
Work on FC prep exercises
Get in a lesson or two

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri May 03, 2024 6:58 pm

Glad you are all sounding good and making progress. Mari--I just love your spotty boy. From all my years riding, and jumping and teaching it, teaching half seat/2-point was always a standard, and you always do it over jumps. I don't even know how to get into a conversation at the barn with the lesson pony teachers and one of the private instructors who NEVER teach that, and literally have the people stand straight up in the stirrups and never grab mane, let alone press into the neck. It's so dangerous.

My goal personally is to not lose it mentally--the whole situation with my mother has just gotten worse and worse and knowing evil incarnate is out there is really hard to deal with.

SO lucky I have the horses. Being a mild year, I can just have fun and not stress. Quilla can have fun playing schoolmaster--she's going to do 3rd level and should get her scores in a few weeks. I think it will be lot easier for her to ride in a more collected frame, and certainly easier to do a flying change over simple or through the trot. The hard part for my friend will be to navigate her body and get a half pass, but I think she'll manage.

For Quinn now that we've got the GP score, we're just doing GP and GPfs. I have my whole freestyle already done in choreography and music--I am a super expert at Garageband by now and can just feel the timing. We're showing under Jan Curtis in two weeks, so I think we should do fine. I'll just make sure not to mess up my changes again by getting nervous and just let her go forward and make mistakes that way if it happens. And lots of massage for her to keep her happy and relaxed. And I'll see what I can do to fix her "highly artificial" extended trot that is getting 8's and
9's on other horses at world cup level. The rest I'm very happy with. She just needs to be happy and relaxed.

The girls just had their 14th and 16th birthdays on May 1 and 2nd.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Sat May 04, 2024 6:24 am

Tanga - So sorry for you stressful situation, that kind of anxiety is so draining.

About the 2-point position - we do a lot of warmup like that for jumping, but my instructor prefers us sitting down for patterns and courses. I get a pass if my back is sore though, especially since I'm used to doing it for long periods and I can execute the collected exercises in 2-point too.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat May 04, 2024 8:10 pm

Whew, well Tesla is in her new barn! I brought along the barnmate who is also moving to the same place, as we were both signed up for the schooling jump show about 2 miles away this morning. Tesla fell in love with the other mare in the trailer and was plenty spicy, so I ended up scratching all of my jump rounds. Ugh. Just when I thought I had her settled and took a break to learn the course and watch a couple rounds, she got worked up and we had to start all over. Idle hooves are the devil's playground is something I think Chisamba said. We are going to make sure they are not next door neighbors. I think the new barn is going to be lovely, but I've still got lots of work to do. I was surprised when I got there that they were just finishing up the arena fence, which was only in the planning stages when we visited a few weeks ago. I'm taking a coffee break then headed to the old barn to pick up all my trucks, lockers, cones, jump parts, mats and other things that have accumulated over six years. Weather is turning crap, so I'll be indoors sorting through everything and figuring out what needs to go to the new place, and how to store everything else.
Keep calm and canter on.

exvet

Postby exvet » Sat May 04, 2024 10:38 pm

I certainly don't envy you SF in regards to the move. Always stressful imo. Sounds like Tesla is a lot like Junior when it comes to falling in love. I had a friend offer to come and hold Junior the next time I haul out for a lesson so that I can haul both boys. I thanked her but said, 'No. I don't want you to get hurt." She was shocked to find out just how bad he can be when he's separated from the one he loves ;) I do get some pretty spectacular movements and moments from him though.

We're dealing with pretty dismal footing in our arenas for a myriad of reasons. I've been doing a lot of cross training with the boys as a result.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Sun May 05, 2024 2:09 am

I'm glad your move went well, SF. Sorry about the horsey love connection. Thats a pain.

Spring shots for the horses and helping a young barn buddy move house for the humans today. This bunch of 60-plus horsewomen did draw the line at the two enormous couches and the dressers... we are all trying to.preserve our backs so we can sit big trots!

I'm looking forward to the steak I am about to put on the grill.

Off on a little jaunt to Southern Utah with my DH for the next couple of days, then back to buckle down and get ready for a schooling show.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun May 05, 2024 2:15 pm

Yeah, hopefully the co-dependency will attenuate before too long. We both happened to come out and check on them at the same time tonight - the mares were out in their pens glued to each other, and when J took R and walked her out through the stall, T got about as frantic as I've ever seen her, dashing back and forth in her pen. Then she finally figured out where R went and came charging into the stall. R is not being nearly as dramatic, and T did calm down after we walked towards and away from them for awhile.

On the upside, walking the new arena makes me appreciate just how NOT FLAT the old outdoor was. Hopefully the rain will hold off enough that we can try riding today. And the BO is so nice and accommodating, I know my girl is in good hands.
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sun May 05, 2024 11:34 pm

Mari, I love the SA accent! Good flying changes in there too :)

Goals for me - just get some riding in and think about going to the working eq Nationals in November. I'm not sure we will get there, it's like a 9hr drive and I'm so busy with work I'm not getting as much riding in as I'd like.

Ding gets crazy separation anxiety when he goes out with Norsey. I didn't realise how badly until I took both to a clinic. I thought he might settle down on the 2nd day, but it was worse. I didn't realise how insecure he actually is.

I'll miss the views from your old barn's arena SF! They were spectacular.

Tanga, sorry that the trouble for your mother continues.
A couple of riding questions though, i'm playing around with Ding and the transition from walk to passage. What do you do to make it different from a walk to collected trot?
Also 1x tempis. Ding generally catches on at my third aid. Like he misses the first 2 I ask for and then does them. Someone else said they give a little scratch on the neck before doing them, so the horse has an extra cue. I'm guessing I need Ding to be a bit more aware and on my aids?

Aleuronx
Herd Member

Postby Aleuronx » Mon May 06, 2024 8:09 pm

Mares in spring right SF? A new routine, people and space, she'll settle soon.

Tanga, jingles for you and your mom. Such a hard thing to manage with outside interference.

Another successful fact finding mission go around at 3-3 this weekend. Halfpass and changes are there, both clean and scoring 6.5 (this under an 'r' judge but well enough). The walk? Eh... quite shit. We need to strip back to the basics of transitions into/out of the walk on a contact. Key words, hind legs to the bit always and not backing off. This was a Ride-Review so luckily the judge agreed that we worked through that walk tour and into the canter transition again which came off much better. So we know what we need to tick away at. It's always the basics.

I felt the test went well enough so I scratched for the schooling show the following day as the weather was going to be unpleasant. 40's and steady rain, uh hard pass thanks.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue May 07, 2024 4:49 am

Flight, Aleuronx. Thank you. It's just getting worse and worse. Sigh. Some days I just stay blocked off, and some days I'm gone mentally and emotionally.

Flight. The walk-passage transition is SUPER hard. Quinn is good at it. Quilla, eh. To be better in GP, I added add a lot of other cues to maintain and keep gaits so it's much clearer to the horses. You've seen some of the video where both will do piaffe and passage in a halter, and I can ride one and pony the other and they do it. Verbal cues come in very handy in teaching and reinforcing it. I would probably start that in hand first so it's easier and he can become stronger that way.

Keeping the collected walk is a bugger. So, for walk I do a little alternate leg and rein, but also keep a VERY relaxed seat, and maybe even slouch a little. I also say "walk." Since Quinn did whatever she did to her back/shoulder/chest? she can get very uneven and look lame at the walk and gets tight, so I do not keep a steady contact, but lightly jiggle the reins the whole time and keep her head a little lower and longer. (IW trick for Quatanz who is dead lame at the walk.) For most of my transitions now, I do an "aaaaaaand" to let them know we're changing and tuck the tailbone. Trot/p/pa is little up ups with both reins to know we want that, tuck tailbone under, allow forward. Trot is more relaxed and "trot, trot." For both piaffe and passage it's alternate leg. Passage is more following and slight squeezing with the whole seat and "quick, quick," piaffe is more tucked tailbone and sitting up and "up, up." I learned the hard way on both to NOT sit deep and hard because I am big and heavy and they are both smaller and super sensitive. A smaller person on a bigger horse might do it differently. So, the pi/pa tours are "aaaaand quick, quick, quick, quick aaaaaand up up up up, aaaaaand quick quick quick" I am literally talking the whole time, in my head, out loud, or quietly in the ring so no one can hear.

One tempis. Hmm. So you ask and he does it after the third ask? So you need to set him up more. I never just ask. I prepare with all of the signals. Both of mine are good at twos. The ones, I more prepare them by bumping them up quickly with both legs, sometimes little juggles up up with the reins so they know. Again, I do not sit deep or they will scoot, but I need to really get them quick behind, but allow the neck out without letting them run and get flat. You can use ANY clue, as the neck scratch, but that would not feel right to me, putting me forward and being distracting. Yes, you need him aware we're doing the ONES, versus the other tempis, which are generally a lot easier. If you have a video of what's going on, maybe I could give some more ideas.

Oh, and to add to all of my verbal cues, I have various sounds to help. psh, psh, psh, psh means relax and go forward and down and is rewarding. pst! pst! or go! go! means extended, go (anything.) My little whistle (I can't really whistle) always means treats and I call them with it, so always gets ears forward and happy eyes. I use it in riding (and in tests) to reward super good things and relax them. That helped stop Quilla deciding to stop and refuse to move, and bolt if I push her, doing pi/pa--now if I feel her tense, I use the reward whistle and she gets all relaxed and happy thinking of treats.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue May 07, 2024 1:48 pm

Tanga - I love your verbal cues! My instructor is also trying to get me to use them more. We tried kissing for "go", but my mouth is too dry :lol: So yesterday we tried a loud "sssshhhhh" and he's weirdly terrified of it. But he definitely got more go! I just need a lot of prompts to use verbal cues, they've never come naturally to me.

Seeing as I'm not dressaging properly at the moment, here's another jumping video.
This is why I'm not made for showjumping. It felt as terrifying to me as jumping out of a plane, and on the video he's just going around obediently :oops: :oops: :oops: Except for the gymnastic. The previous effort he fought so much to put 4 strides into the 5-stride distance to the oxer that I thought I was going to die. So this one you can see me fighting to get an even 5.
https://youtu.be/dWc8c-354GI

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Tue May 07, 2024 6:37 pm

mari--Yeah, you have to find what you can do. Not being a whistler, I have no range there. I wouldn't "kiss" for go because it's to easy to see and hear when you are showing. Keep that in mind when coming up with something that works. I guess I've always really talked to my animals, so I have a lot of prompts. I really needed to solidify them and sort them out this last year because I wasn't consistent. As soon as I was, the girls were like, cool, I get it.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed May 08, 2024 4:27 am

Have you watched the Charlotte Dujardin master class where she talks about talking to her horses?

Here's the link to part 1. Thee are two other parts that follow on:

https://youtu.be/IETdllCijWA

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Wed May 08, 2024 5:54 am

Moutaineer wrote:Have you watched the Charlotte Dujardin master class where she talks about talking to her horses?

Here's the link to part 1. Thee are two other parts that follow on:

https://youtu.be/IETdllCijWA

I've seen this, it's lovely. I chatter away to him when I'm tacking up and fussing over him, but not when riding.

Tanga - I didn't even think about the kissing being visible. The "sssshhh" will work then, I think I make that face anyway when riding :lol:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed May 08, 2024 1:15 pm

Mari, I love the jumping exercises there. I need to set those up when I get the jumps out to the new place.

T is starting to settle down. At least she is sensible - night before last I rode while a storm was building, and the neighbor was running a leaf blower. She was super tense, but never did anything silly. Last night I was able to tie her in a washrack where she can't see her new BFF and was able to fix a loose tab on her shoe with minimal drama. If it's not too windy tonight, we'll try her in the turnout. It's irrigated pasture, so she'll probably be too busy stuffing her face to freak out too much.

Here she is with her little pony friend:
Attachments
FB_IMG_1715173915312.jpg
FB_IMG_1715173915312.jpg (80.41 KiB) Viewed 876 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Wed May 08, 2024 8:20 pm

mari--That's the secret. Makes noise that can be interpreted as breathing, clearing your throat, etc., and go along with the normal faces you make.

I have seen the CDJ classes. I do like the ideas of being exposed to everything and being out. But I do not like seeing a four year old ridden so up and tight. I think this is exactly what is going wrong with dressage. They are "naturally" built "collected, so a four year old is ridden with his neck straight up? How is ANY of that about correct dressage if he can't have a frame with his neck and nose out? All of these I have seen she rides the like that, and all of the time popping the head up with her hands instead of allowing them out. As much as no one wants to admit, I think a lot of the problems we see in riding are people doing what she does.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 08, 2024 8:45 pm

I do a click that is not able to be seen but I don’t usually differentiate between the click and different movements. It’s just a general more energy. It helps myself to keep asking more. Cedar uses actual words including piaffe for the movement in training. I really haven’t used words much in a long time. More noises

The show Saturday went ok. I was tired and did not ride my best so she broke in the canter both tests. It doesn’t help that I don’t get any bump from show atmosphere with Joplin. No tension no increase of energy she’s absolutely willing but I have to ask. Ah well. She’s still a blast and I had some good stuff in the warmup. It was a very muggy day and we both were wilting a bit.

I did have an eye opening ride Monday on Joplin. She can get bracey similar to Tesla and I’ve been playing around trying to figure it out. Not dealt with that much. So I kept a vibration in my hand. Thinking not only dynamic seat for energy but vibration in the rein to keep the softness. Wow spectacular halts RB lateral work transitions etc. was hoping to ride again today and test it out again but she got shod yesterday and somehow twisted a hind shoe stepping on the clip. Crossing my fingers she doesn’t abscess. Farrier back out this evening to fix it. Dang horses. Storms next two days.

Lani spam

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/mHt5JjLXhJZfLqi6/?

She is now sporting a cuff RF. Breaking that toe off from her extreme grazing stance. Those long legs. Trying to avoid club foot and check ligament surgery. Joplin had to have it at 5 months for same reason. Long legs.

Stay cool all for those coming into summer! And happy riding!!

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri May 10, 2024 4:06 am

Potters had a bit of a cough after his spring shots last weekend, but he was good today, and we had a brief but productive ride focusing on suppleness and thoroughness, which in turn led to more forwardness.

Maybe tomorrow the weather will cheer up enough to be able to ride outside.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 10, 2024 5:25 am

Funny how we see things from a different perspective. I see CDJ riding a young anxious horse tactfully, giving him a loose rein and letting him stop and look because he is so anxious and tight. I don't see the rider creating the tightness. Hey if you can take an 4 year old out in a very vibrant surroundings and have it stroll off relaxed and stretching, you are obviously better than the best.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Fri May 10, 2024 7:04 pm

Chisamba wrote:Funny how we see things from a different perspective. I see CDJ riding a young anxious horse tactfully, giving him a loose rein and letting him stop and look because he is so anxious and tight. I don't see the rider creating the tightness. Hey if you can take an 4 year old out in a very vibrant surroundings and have it stroll off relaxed and stretching, you are obviously better than the best.

Yep. Very different. I see an anxious, young, tight horse who is never given a loose rein (and she is a good enough rider she can float it and do that and still control any take offs) and pops the rein up with her hand any time he drops. The riding pyramid is rhythm, relaxation, then connection. Her number one focus here is constant connection, even in the "relaxed" walk.

Again, this is I think what I don't like in these "naturally talented" bred horses with the upright necks straight up out of the shoulder. It looks "collected," but that is really a matter of time, training and conditioning. It seems WAY more important for these horse to be able to lengthen the neck and put the nose out from the start, not just put them in a GP frame, which is really what this is.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri May 10, 2024 7:38 pm

Flight, the view from our new place is not as panoramic, but not too shabby. We are not used to green pastures. We did a supervised turnout trial last night and today starting turnout with a rickety old horse as a companion.
Attachments
FB_IMG_1715369334176.jpg
FB_IMG_1715369334176.jpg (89.51 KiB) Viewed 689 times
Keep calm and canter on.

Flight

Postby Flight » Sat May 11, 2024 12:26 am

Thanks Tanga, that is all very useful! I did read it and had a ride afterwards. Definitely setting Ding up more before I ask for he 1x tempis with a bump of the legs and a jiggle with the reins helped a lot. He's always been a slow twitch fibre type horse.
It really was the same for walk - passage. He has to be really on my aids. We dont have much of a passage - it always feels more than it looks. But I'll get some video and share one day.
I'll save your reply to keep referring to, thanks.

That CDJ video - what an impressive horse hey. I tend to agree with Tanga, a 4yo ridden like a GP horse. It's amazing that it can do it, because they can do it, should we ? I dont like the high and short necks, although I did notice in one recent comp she was riding with longer reins. She is a very good rider, so she should be able to do it with a less short tight neck and BTV I reckon.

Mari, you don't look terrified, you make it look easy! He's certainly keen to go over them!

Pretty pic of Lani, Khall. Did you get any pics at your show? Bummer about the breaks into canter, but nice that she sounds easy to take out.

SF, that looks like a beautiful place too! Love the pic. I didn't visit Idaho on my holiday, but did go to Montana and bit into Wyoming, so I'm guessing it would be similar.

I haven't sat back on my young horse. I've been doing a lot of work on the ground. My fall really frightened him of things moving around his back, if that make sense. I think I want a professional to start riding him again first, but at the same time I don't want anyone to frighten him again and undo all the work I've been doing. I'll be trying to take him to have lessons so I can at least watch what gets done and intervene if I don't think it's helpful.
Still got a ways to go with him being comfortable in the float. I think he's claustrophobic. I've started using my stables and he's getting a lot better being in them. I started with the doors open so he could leave and now I can lock them all in for an hour or so at dinner time.
Still have to have the stables and driveway to be finished, and have lined someone up to do this, but it's going to take a fair bit of time and $$$
IMG_0299.jpg
IMG_0299.jpg (52.23 KiB) Viewed 673 times

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sat May 11, 2024 7:32 am

Maybe I can blame my youth of riding Arabians, but I think it's a lot easier to ride an upper level horse in tense surroundings with a long neck than a young one. But I am speaking specifically about the round horse in the video and it's clear to me both is you are speaking about a long held negative opinion.

I am also the rider that is constantly told at shows by judges and at clinic to shorten my reins, so I do not think I'm coming at this from the perspective of a rider who rides too short being defensive.

Flight I know you left dressage for working eq, but I've watched the top working eq people ride with a very short rein, not to mention the occasional bleeding flank. I also know that Tanga is riding at significant level above mine, so possibly I'm just an ignoramus, but I can see a difference between a tense baby and a grand prix horse.

My dutch horses are very naturally high and round, it takes quite a lot of tactful effort to get them to reach forward into the outside rein. Honey for example went frim up and upside down to up and curled and us very difficult to get up level and out. But hey I admire CDJ so I must be riding her up and tight like a grand prix horse just because I can.

For illustration, I have a helper who will walk horses cool for me when I have to many to ride. Herev is a photo of her walking two different horses. Same rider same technique sane goal. Different horses. Different weather lol.
Attachments
Screenshot_20240511_033341_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20240511_033341_Gallery.jpg (69.83 KiB) Viewed 632 times
1000007949_320x259.jpg
1000007949_320x259.jpg (78.3 KiB) Viewed 632 times

khall

Postby khall » Sat May 11, 2024 3:28 pm

Chisamba that is a very good point re young horse in a tense atmosphere vs GP horse. Out of all the international riders I think CH and CDJ are some of the kinder ones. They think about their mounts as horses not just as tools for medals. C did say she normally would stretch him at home but was being safe in the electric atmosphere there. I certainly can understand that! These new bred horses are so upright they are made to look “collected” even if they cannot physically perform collected. I know those long legs and long upright necks can cause feet issues too. Exactly what I’m dealing with in Lani. What’s interesting to me is that as she was born it was her LF that was out first and that is her grazing stance. LF first RF back breaking that toe off. My older style WBs have shorter legs and never had the grazing stance. Also not as high necked. I was sure hoping for shorter legs when I bred Gaila! She’s only 15.2 Saphiro is 15.3. Yeah Lani who knows!!

We have gorgeous weather this Mother’s Day weekend. Hoping to ride both days before more rain moves in. Happy Mother’s Day for all the mothers out there and happy riding!

Flight I did not get any pictures or videos unfortunately. Should at my up coming Cedar clinic. My friend called my tests and was unable to video as well. I had another FEI that was going but her old mare of 26 is dealing with colitis and she did not want to be gone for the day. No biggie. I do know I need to just ride more tests! I also need to memorize them better. I mostly did but these weird short diagonals for mediums W and T are throwing me. Ah well. I still enjoy the heck out of Joplin!

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sat May 11, 2024 7:01 pm

Chisamba, I appreciate the discussion and see your point, but that's not what I am talking about. I see the tense baby that you do, but I also see she NEVER gives a loose contact when she clearly can, and notice here as I see regularly in her riding her popping up on the rein to pick up the head when he goes down and curls because the rein is short. What I would with a tense baby is allow the rein out (even just one) when he goes down like that to teach him that is where he needs to be, which is WAY more important with these "naturally" high headed horses. If you look at part 2 of this video at the very end where he must be tired from the work and the stress, she finally lets go of the rein and he immediately puts his nose out.

I have also seen her rides and warmups on very high level horses, and they are not getting the long and low. And she is the one that has the mantra "short reins win," which is true. And the short reins winning is what I think a lot of us see as a big problem in dressage, with the horse's heads literally pulled back agains their necks, none of the open neck and nose forward a bit that dressage is supposed to be.

Chelsey Sibley has been riding these upright Dutch horses for decades and I've known her since she was a kid and know the whole process pretty well. You don't see her ever riding these young horses in that frame no matter the environment and she's been in them.

But even regardless of CD, this, personally, I don't like. I'm pretty accepting of all types of horses in dressage, but I don't like that horse and what I see in it, and a lot of the now "fabulous" horses. I see all of these "fabulous" horses that people think are great at dressage, and I don't see it. None of that, in my opinion, is anything about what is good in a correct horse, no matter how young. That extravagant "super" movement, head up (Carl Hester just got almost 100% on a young horse he rode in a class in almost the exact same frame) barreling around the ring is really hitting me wrong. All of them are on way too much contact to be correct to me. If they are riding correctly, even in a super tense environment, the whole frame should be longer. I guess they have rhythm, but not the relaxation, which needs the LONGER FRAME to CORRECTLY develop as a dressage horse, for the contact.

I know a lot of these horses skip all of the lower levels and go straight to FEI, which is another problem. I'm guessing CD will be doing FEI (PSG) on him as a 6 year old and her usually GP at 8, which is everything I see as wrong. None of this is about correctly developing the whole musculoskeletal system to do the work of dressage instead of the tricks of dressage.

I think ballet for humans is the best comparison. A ballet dancer told me, no matter HOW naturally talented a person is, they don't even go en pointe until 12, because it takes that long to train the body and not cause damage, and where they do, as in Russia or China, they cripple these kids.

And we're never going to get anywhere in dressage unless we address these issues honestly in everyone. Everyone loves to call out Kittel, who had lovely, soft, open necked ride at the World Cup, but now one will say anything about the golden children Charlotte and Carl doing the same thing. Isabel Werth (not my favorite person) adjusted her riding to a more open neck and nose out. I even had Kyra Kirklund respond to me on an international dressage rider's thread defending competing GP on an 8 year old, "because Matador would have never been in the Olympics." Dressage needs to be about training, not "talented" horses looking like they are doing it.

Thank you for listening to my speech.

Kelo1
Novice

Postby Kelo1 » Sat May 11, 2024 9:44 pm

Checking in with updates on my big, sweet yellow boy.

A few weeks ago we went to a ranch event schooling show. Long story, but I got there super late and had like 15 minutes to warm up. So he was pretty tense, but relaxed over the course of the morning. We didn't place or anything, but he did relax. And honestly he was a really good boy. Tension, some rushing and gawking, but nothing bad, especially considering what I was asking him to do (his previous events were ropings -- very different task than what I was asking). The (outdoor) trail course, we could pay to practice, so I did that, and he was so bold over the obstacles -- trot and canter poles (he's never been asked to cross poles), bridge, etc.

Then we went on a weekend camping and trail riding trip. My second time taking him on one, and he was much better. He crosses water boldly, maneuvered ditches and hills and rocks, and was much better about relaxing and listening to me. I would stop him and let the other horses range out away from us. Last time that made him very nervous, he was jigging and snorting, but this time he was almost good about it (*almost*, lol)

In the dressage practice ring, I'm just riding, working on the basics, trying to keep things as boring as possible. I really wish I could get back to doing lessons, it's so hard to know if you're doing things right or not. But he seems to be getting better, he's certainly getting more responsive to my aids and things seem to be coming easier for him. I sure do enjoy him, he tries and tries.

He's such an incredibly stiff horse right now, especially I think in the hind end, so lately I've been doing endless leg yields. About 4 months ago I couldn't get him to walk forward and sideways at the same time; now he's getting the hang of walk and trot leg yields while staying soft and in rhythm.

Anyways, here's the vid we grabbed just so I could see what things looked like -

https://youtu.be/12k7gm3_3ew?si=kAvKAjUqIeUOiJth

I do a couple trot leg yields on there, and then I'm just messing around with (wildly sloppy, lol) shoulder in and imitation half pass. Just kinda asking him for stuff. I just started asking him to leg yield in canter, which is a huge struggle for him right now. He almost can't sustain right lead canter yielding left, but darned if he's not trying his best.

I'm so pleased with him, and am so enjoying building our partnership.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun May 12, 2024 12:54 pm

Tanga, if i may.

My own training method, and yes I have a method, is to just ride the basics first you know. Can I steer baby, can I stop , walk trot canter, expose and them a bit of leg yield. In this mode I personally do not try too much to teach the horse anything about it's balance and shape. So me personally. My 4 year old would not even be " on the bit " yet. Never mind being presented I front of thousands at a master class. ( thousands would bit sore up to watch me ride a baby anyway) .

But once I start the method toward collecting, I start with stretch. I try to teach the horse to stretch over the topline and around the inside leg to connect to the outside rein. In the week, first day after the day of, that is all we do. Stretch circles stretch shoulder fore, stretch leg yield. Stretch in all 3 gaits. It's very difficult work. Much harder than riding on the bit in a short rein.

Physically demanding of both horse and rider.

Next day I do ten minutes stretch then work on collection. Probably mostly trot.

Day 3 stretch warm up to collected work in canter mostly. Day 4, new things. Returning to confirm stretch to collection.

This way I find I can muscle the horse appropriately, I can develop equal contact into both reins, and I can improve average gaits.

I see people doing all the things much quicker than I teach them. And I look and think, that's why I'm so slow. I wouldn't be teaching that thing because they lost the throughness in the change.

And then I see top riders doing the whole line of changes, not being through, but with lovely obedience and i think things like, why is that an 8, yes it's obedient and flashy and there is jump and yet to me the horse is not going back to front and is not showing elastic connection to the bridle. And I realize that winning dressage unfortunately is not about training, or permeability, or connection. That is the dream of the idealist. So vacillate between that ideal perfection I never achieve and a semblance of show worthy string of tricks.
But that is me.

" those" riders.. the show riders. It's all about riding to show and how to get there. In the realm of horse competitive sports I still think dressage is the sport where you are least likely to accidentally kill, injure maim or over burden your horse. It's the one where you are most likely to improve and long term sustain your partnership,

But I'm fairly sure that my eternal quest for connection balance and improving gaits actually slows down and inhibits the ability to show a clean clear dressage test.

The truth is maybe I'm the idiot trying to find the hidden unicorn. And probably the they the kittel, du Jardin and every natural hirseman, zettle, French light and trainer inbetween has to believe they are right. That how they train their horse is appropriate and ethical, because if you do something every day, you cannot live with yourself is you do not believe that you are being ethical.

So we go around investing in the rightness if what we do. And how its ok. So of course that means anytime anyone who does or differently they must be wrong. Which is of course just not true.

We are very single one of us taking an animal that would rather be grazing in its field, and training it as ethically as we know how, to do things for us that they would not choose to do without considerable systematic persuasion.

So I tend to ask myself, now that I am old and grey, how is what I am doing, in the long run, any better than what CDJ is doing. I bet for 23 hours a day her horses live a life of happiness in exchange for one hour of " oh hell this is difficult '
Right now mine are in bug biting muddy life of hell. With one hour of " oh he'll she is trying to teach me something again". Despite my intense investment on trying to be ethical in my training, I'm no better than CDJ, in probably in the balance of things a lot less skilled lol.

And in all honesty, the best riders in the world, you, me, kelo, exvet, Mari, StraightForward, khall, aleurinux, flight and each and every one if us they every day to find the ethical balance between riding our horses, caring for them, and being ok with expecting them to do a flying change, a leg yield a trail ride never even mind being " high and tight", long and low. Rollkur, on the bit, bitless, because we do it daily and we could not live with ourselves if what we did every day did not seem kind, ethical and ok

Thank you for reading this is you did.

Tanga
500 post plus club

Postby Tanga » Sun May 12, 2024 7:18 pm

Chisamba--100% agree

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 13, 2024 3:07 am

But, if you watch the whole 30 minute session, she does let him have a long rein, once she feels it is safe to do so. She talks about this.

Anyway, back in my world, I've signed up for a schooling show next weekend and my horse has decided that he no longer wishes to go on the bit. This too shall pass.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon May 13, 2024 6:46 am

Kelo1 wrote:Anyways, here's the vid we grabbed just so I could see what things looked like -

https://youtu.be/12k7gm3_3ew?si=kAvKAjUqIeUOiJth

I do a couple trot leg yields on there, and then I'm just messing around with (wildly sloppy, lol) shoulder in and imitation half pass. Just kinda asking him for stuff. I just started asking him to leg yield in canter, which is a huge struggle for him right now. He almost can't sustain right lead canter yielding left, but darned if he's not trying his best.

I'm so pleased with him, and am so enjoying building our partnership.

What a lovely straight leg yield! He is gorgeous.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon May 13, 2024 6:55 am

Chisamba wrote:And in all honesty, the best riders in the world, you, me, kelo, exvet, Mari, StraightForward, khall, aleurinux, flight and each and every one if us they every day to find the ethical balance between riding our horses, caring for them, and being ok with expecting them to do a flying change, a leg yield a trail ride never even mind being " high and tight", long and low. Rollkur, on the bit, bitless, because we do it daily and we could not live with ourselves if what we did every day did not seem kind, ethical and ok

Thank you for reading this is you did.

I love your post. I am very aware in every interaction with my horse that ours is not an equal partnership. It is coercive, in the sense that if he is unwilling to participate, I will make him (whether that 'make him' is physical or mental or diagnosing physical problems). My journey is, for the most part, very kind and patient.

I have come around to the idea of asking for more difficult things than the horse (or I) may be ready for, but with the objective that they learn they get rewarded for an enthusiastic try, regardless of the outcome of the try. It has really made a difference in our partnership. I think we both have more fun as a result as well.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 14, 2024 12:56 am

I think it's also reasonable to believe that horses are moderately intelligent creatures and that many of them are natural athletes, that like to move and do things with their bodies. So, if we are fair in our asks, they can actually find pleasure in performing the movements that we are asking them to do.

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue May 14, 2024 1:04 am

Wow, Kelo! He's really nice! What a good boy.

My good boy and I got out S*** together today and had one of the best rides we've had. He was happy to be outside in the sunshine and really got the forward button going. Hah! Now I know it's in there!

I just have to remember to trust the process and be prepared to take the handbrake off and let him GO, and forget the thoughts of "if he spooks at this speed I'm in trouble." Because, of course, when he's really going forward, he's less likely to have the bandwidth to think about spooking at a blade of grass...

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue May 14, 2024 6:42 am

Moutaineer wrote:I think it's also reasonable to believe that horses are moderately intelligent creatures and that many of them are natural athletes, that like to move and do things with their bodies. So, if we are fair in our asks, they can actually find pleasure in performing the movements that we are asking them to do.

Yes! My jumping instructor said a thing that stuck with me last week, when another pupil was trying to get her young horse to leg-yield. He said something to the effect of making the horse feel "oh wow, I did a cool thing with my body!"

khall

Postby khall » Tue May 14, 2024 6:21 pm

Mine certainly like their payoffs when working! I always have cookies with me. Rip would start nickering when I told him good boy. Joplin knows where I keep them and I had an OTTB g that just a light pat and good boy and he would puff himself up. He also adored sugar cubes. In Portugal they used carrots at the end of the rides. Those horses absolutely knew that!

Just a picture to share Flight of Joplin working here at home!
https://www.facebook.com/share/p/66nYY1iJirELY1Em/? She’s really starting to come more uphill in her carriage. I work piaffe stuff almost every ride to help with strengthening her.

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 14, 2024 11:04 pm

I agree with your post Chisamba. To address your earlier mention of working eq - yes for sure some people do it badly too! I struggle a bit ethically with riding my horses at times. Maybe partly because I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it right.

Kelo, he looks and sounds like he's becoming a nice horse. It looked a bit windy in the vid too, another impressive landscape with the dark sky background.

Nice pic of Joplin, she is looking good.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Thu May 16, 2024 3:42 am

A week from now, the piggies, DH, and me will be flying to Maryland. I'm coming back for the houseplants and Maia too at the end of the month :D

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 16, 2024 3:58 am

heddylamar wrote:A week from now, the piggies, DH, and me will be flying to Maryland. I'm coming back for the houseplants and Maia too at the end of the month :D

Safe travels and happy homecoming

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 16, 2024 4:04 am

Flight wrote:I agree with your post Chisamba. To address your earlier mention of working eq - yes for sure some people do it badly too! I struggle a bit ethically with riding my horses at times. Maybe partly because I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it right.

Kelo, he looks and sounds like he's becoming a nice horse. It looked a bit windy in the vid too, another impressive landscape with the dark sky background.

I think horses benefit from humans. The fact that all truly wild horses are extinct seems to scientifically support that fact. I also think they are big strong flight animals. Both Khall and I have experienced horses that simply told us they did not want to do the things we wanted them to. Maybe I'm justifying it, but in balance of those two things, I feel like horses are mostly ok with the trade off of carrying us around in exchange for food care and lodging.

exvet

Postby exvet » Thu May 16, 2024 1:19 pm

Chisamba wrote:
Flight wrote:I agree with your post Chisamba. To address your earlier mention of working eq - yes for sure some people do it badly too! I struggle a bit ethically with riding my horses at times. Maybe partly because I'm not 100% sure I'm doing it right.

I think horses benefit from humans. The fact that all truly wild horses are extinct seems to scientifically support that fact. I also think they are big strong flight animals. Both Khall and I have experienced horses that simply told us they did not want to do the things we wanted them to. Maybe I'm justifying it, but in balance of those two things, I feel like horses are mostly ok with the trade off of carrying us around in exchange for food care and lodging.

Agree 100%. I take my mustang as a prime example. He just loves attention and the fact that he's fed, housed, and safe. I honestly think I could leave the gate open and even if he wandered off the driveway, he'd come back home. He is so tolerant and easy and just wants emotional support, nothing big, nothing drastic, just for someone to be there. Cannonball did not want to do dressage. He simply didn't relax into it ever but jumping that was a whole 'nuther ball game. Once he was done with a round he was so chill.................not true if he had any anticipation that another dressage test was in the plan. Morgans are bred to be people oriented. Brandon certainly read the breed manual. He too just wants attention and will take people over horses. His horse-to-horse skills are just atrocious; but, with people he's respectful and polite even while being a total mooch. Don't get me wrong, he still is ever vigilant in keeping tabs on his herd mates but would rather have a scratch from a human than miss out.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri May 17, 2024 8:53 pm

My new baby.
Attachments
1000008121_240x325.jpg
1000008121_240x325.jpg (66.82 KiB) Viewed 13 times

Return to “Dressage Training”