Needs some suggestions for mediums

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
HafDressage
Herd Member

Needs some suggestions for mediums

Postby HafDressage » Wed Jan 06, 2016 12:12 am

So I have a very ridiculous large haflinger that is training 3rd level, but we still can't quite get our poop in a group when it comes to lengthenings/mediums. Collection is our friend, lengthening is our enemy.

In terms of his training, we have a pretty good SI/HI, baby half-passes, a nice uphill canter lengthening, and the flying changes are getting more confirmed each day. I feel pretty confident about where things are with his training with the exception of our non-existent lengthenings/mediums. I say mediums, because I think he will first learn something more like a medium before he ever truly lengthens his stride all that much. He's built uphill and is not plodding around the forehand, so I know he CAN do it, I just need to figure out how to show him what I want.

I'll preface this by saying, he's a haflinger, so he has a more upright shoulder, not much natural suspension, and tends towards KNEE-ACTION and getting fast instead of lengthening or extending.

Here are the two things:
1. He can do a great extended trot with no rider, when his head is a million miles in the air, and he's excited about something. Today for example, he was out grazing and another horse got loose and he extended all over town.

2. I've used ground poles, but he's a minimalist in the effort department, so I get some lenthening/suspension out of him over the poles, but as soon as we leave the poles behind we lose it.

So, I need some suggestions. What has worked for you guys in the past? Maybe I should just try having his head a million miles in the air and running wild.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Flight
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Needs some suggestions for mediums

Postby Flight » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:17 am

I had a horse like this, and I tried all the collection stuff into some lengthened strides etc but it didn't really make a difference.
In the end what worked was fanging around in a paddock as fast as she'd go in trot, not allowing her to canter. It didn't take too long until she started getting longer strides and some pretty amazing extended trots (for her) that way. I didn't let her stick her head up, just gave her enough room in front to lengthen her frame.

khall

Postby khall » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:02 am

I've seen a trainer help teach a draftX with similar idea to flight's. They did it in the arena but rounded the corners and just kept the horse going in trot until he finally lengthened his stride rather than get faster. It worked for this particular horse.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 06, 2016 1:42 pm

My mare and I have similar challenges. Collected lateral work to mediums are one way for us to get there.

But spending time really "breaking out" her trot (which feels like racing around the arena, but is really just getting her to experience that *she can trot BIG*) has been essential. BTW, this was the guidance my trainer and I were given by JJ Tate, who has taught a lot of average trotters "an international trot."

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:15 pm

Agree with the above - it also helped for us to trot two together and get them into a bit of a 'race'. The horse who likes to be in the lead quickly learned 'big trot' to get to the front. And once he realised he could do it, and we wanted it, we could get it in the arena as well.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:40 pm

I was going to suggest a long open trail ride, with a really good trotting horse in front of you, and do a bit of a "road trot" until he gets the idea.

I am one who likes to get the horse up and open in neck and head when i teach the lengthenings, or mediums. once the horse understands to lengthen the stride, then i work on getting the stride lengthened without changing tempo, and then doing so from the lateral and collected work. the key really is to get the horse to lengthen the neck and stretch to the bit without dropping on the forehand, so push into the hand up and open.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:08 pm

BTW, HafDressage, I love the description "a very ridiculous large haflinger". I think photos are in order!

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:24 pm

I agree with trying a "fast" trot and keep asking for it until the horse flattens the knee action and rotates the shoulder. My WB/TB used to have a trot that we called his "Hackney knees." Schooling around first and second levels, if his back was tight some days we'd have to bomb around in the fastest trot possible until he let go and actually used his shoulders. It worked well for my horse going big around the arena. I've also seen it work well for other horses on a 20-30 m circle (can't sustain it as long without loosing too much balance though).

What also helped was lunging and eventually riding on a very slight incline, asking for a bigger trot going up the incline.

The biggest trot I have ever gotten out of my horse was on a trail ride with a Western trained Appy that sure knew how to "long trot." He got in front of us on a long, slow incline and we powered behind trying to keep up. My horse showed me a trot I never knew he had - and now I have access to it. I will note that I first did this when my horse was at 4th, he was very fit, and had already been working on hills all summer. I will use the long trot now when we are working on fitness on the hills and I find we get a much more uphill extended trot in the arena as long as I am consistent with the fitness work.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:36 am

Thank your for the suggestions!!!

It sounds like the concusses is that I just need him to flail around for a bit until he understands and is able to do what I'm looking for. I think I might try a little lunging and maybe even without sidereins once he's warmed up to see if I can get him lengthening. When I'm on him, it's really hard to feel what is going on underneath me. I feel lift in the shoulder, but I have no idea if the front legs are doing anything other than the "Hackney trot" (thanks for the term tlkidding :) )

Chisamba- I agree and would like to take him out bc he is way more up out on trails, but out there I can't feel what is going on underneath me enough to know if we are just going fast or lengthening or both.

piedmontfields wrote:BTW, HafDressage, I love the description "a very ridiculous large haflinger". I think photos are in order!

Piedmont - He is a very silly boy. He is constantly into mischeif and he thinks he's the Fabio of the horse world. I think everytime I show up he's like "Ah good, my bitch is here to groom me."

I'll put on my brave face and add some pictures below.
Attachments
Lex 1-6-16e.jpg
Lex 1-6-16e.jpg (91.67 KiB) Viewed 24238 times
Lex 1-6-16c.jpg
Lex 1-6-16c.jpg (36 KiB) Viewed 24238 times
Lex 1-6-16d.jpg
Lex 1-6-16d.jpg (43.61 KiB) Viewed 24238 times
Last edited by HafDressage on Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:42 am

My super brave face. Here are a couple of riding pics from this fall.
Attachments
Lex 1-6-16.jpg
Lex 1-6-16.jpg (42.36 KiB) Viewed 24236 times
Lex 1-6-16b.jpg
Lex 1-6-16b.jpg (87.91 KiB) Viewed 24236 times

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:38 am

Thanks for the photos, you are a lovely pair!!

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jan 07, 2016 9:22 am

Wowee he's a cutie pie and he looks great under saddle!!

demi

Postby demi » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:09 pm

Nice pair, for sure! Looking forward to more pics as you progress.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:12 pm

"The Fabio of the horseworld"---absolutely! Aren't you lucky to get to serve him LOL. Can't wait to see the Mr in his new big trot.

FYI, I found it easier to push for the big trot around the arena initially, rather than on a circle. But some find it the other way around. I also found it easier under saddle than on the lunge, but that varies, too.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:46 pm

Goodness, he's a sexy fellow!!!
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:47 pm

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll also be following along. I've got a guy with a bit of an upright pony trot, so I think the suggestions of having him open up might help us too :)
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:22 pm

HafDressage wrote:When I'm on him, it's really hard to feel what is going on underneath me. I feel lift in the shoulder, but I have no idea if the front legs are doing anything other than the "Hackney trot" (thanks for the term tlkidding :)

My Halflinger mule didn't know he could lengthen his trot because he always just broke into canter when he wanted to go faster-- and I've always let him. But I finally decided it was time for him to learn how to lengthen when the dh started riding his dam, who doesn't like to canter so will lengthen her trot. So I started by discouraging my mule from breaking into canter, and because he didn't want to get left when the mare trotted he did finally learn to lengthen his trot.

The mare has really straight hocks and pasterns, but she somehow manages to lengthen her trot. I think it's because she can get her fronts out of the way because she's quite free in the shoulder for a 13.1 hand drafty type. I saw a 15 hand draft type Halflinger at a clinic a couple of years ago, and he was a big boy, too.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Jan 07, 2016 5:42 pm

With my mare, I used to have to "load the gun". I had to wind her up. Ask for medium, get speed/quickening?, back to working trot, ask again, get speed/quickening, back to working. It usually took about 4 tries to get her to fire in a proper lengthening/medium. I just didn't accept the incorrect response. My horse is not super free in the shoulder either. I have been working on ME for the last couple years and have gotten her much more sensitive to my body and legs...clearer AIDS and softer on my part and now, usually the medium/lengthening so are just there. I also use poles. Not so much to elicit lengthening but to get her shoulders more mobile. Mine are raised about 6 inches.

Gorgeous hunk of blond horse there :mrgreen: .

Susan

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Fri Jan 08, 2016 2:10 am

I agree with all the suggestions so far. I also have a horse that struggles with the medium trot, but canter is super easy for him. I have done a mixture of all of these and slowly we are getting a true medium. I push him forward until he finds a few bigger steps, which can sometimes take a few long sides of the arena. Then once he is thinking bigger I sometimes ask for the medium out of a leg yield from CL to the long side. Stops him from running and makes him pick himself up.
I also use raised poles, spread quite a long way apart.

Can take a fair few tries for him to really sit and push but once he has the hang of it, a little light bulb goes off in his head. I try not to do too much in one ride as it can be quite tiring for them when they aren't used to really opening up the shoulders and reaching :) Good luck! Time and patience are your friend!

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Sat Jan 09, 2016 5:56 am

I'm of the quality not quantity school, but do whatever works best for your horse. I imagine, if oversped, he could fall on his forehand quickly. Same with lengthening on circles, on straight lines, on hills, with other horses, etc. Do what works for him to get the most bang for your buck.

I assume from the non existent extensions, there is non existent piaffe. At his level of training, I would introduce half steps in right order, because out of collection comes extension. I would also assume (and I may be wrong but I do know haflingers) that he is rather content about a tiny bit behind your leg, doing just enough to make you smile. It might be time for a trusted ground person to help you on the ground with a whip or cane in the half steps and help teach him to FLY forward off your leg out of the half steps.

Regarding the use of the poles: when you go over the poles , be aware of what you are doing with your body and your aids. It is one goal of the poles (and gradually raising the poles) to mechanicially lengthen the horse's stride. But for me the real goal is to teach him how to use his body in response to my aids. So, over the poles, if I close my leg to engage his abs and lift his back, allow my hips to suspend when he lifts me, give a following release to allow his neck and frame to stretch and perhaps cluck for more activity, then he learns not only to lift his feet but to increase suspension. Then, step by step, without the poles, I use these same aids to ask for a medium.

He is lovely--is he an "A" line? Haflingers have an amazing sense of humor and I love that. I will come back with an inspiring picture if I can find it on FB.

I can't find the actual picture I wanted, but Andreas Hausberger's parents own a Haflinger breeding farm in Austria, where he learned to ride. I saw an adorable picture of riding a Haflinger as a child. http://www.reitvereinneuhofen.at/pages/posts/kinderfreunde-noe-75.php?p=10
Last edited by Kathy Johnson on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sat Jan 09, 2016 4:54 pm

Thank you all for the suggestions and the kind words! I will tell him that you guys thought he was handsome, at the risk of it going straight to his head. :D

I think I'm going to try a little of everything until something works. So I went out on Thursday to try the lunging, but my trainer was out there and she was like no flailing around, go do hills. So, I did that instead. He makes good effort, I just still get the impression he has no clue what I really want. So, like a defiant child :lol: , I'll just wait until she isn't around to work on the flailing around. On the lunge, I want to see a lengthening and then reward, rinse and repeat.

Yesterday we went with our eventing friends to a big show facility that is about 1.5 hours away and schooled there. We walked all over the cross country course (which was a little wet for my taste) and then I went and practiced a 3rd level test in the ring. He was super. Our lengthenings were what they were, but the rest of the test went super well.

Kathy Johnson wrote:I assume from the non existent extensions, there is non existent piaffe. At his level of training, I would introduce half steps in right order, because out of collection comes extension. I would also assume (and I may be wrong but I do know haflingers) that he is rather content about a tiny bit behind your leg, doing just enough to make you smile. It might be time for a trusted ground person to help you on the ground with a whip or cane in the half steps and help teach him to FLY forward off your leg out of the half steps.

I haven't tried half-steps on him yet. Maybe it is time to start incorporating that a bit and try to "load the spring" more as everyone is suggesting.

In terms of him being behind the leg, I would say that is more an issue in canter than in trot. In trot he is more likely to make appropriate effort and then just try to completely downshift to halt when he gets tired. So, you're right that he is a total lazy pants, but it manifests differently in the two gaits. lol. I think a ground person is a good idea. I am thinking after I do some lunging work to produce a lengthening, I might try it with another girl from the barn up there so that I still aid with the whip on the ground and see what the hell is going on.

Kathy Johnson wrote:He is lovely--is he an "A" line?

Yes, he's an A-line. He's 15.2 and I wish wish wish he was still a stallion so I could have bred more big haflingers. I was always a total warmblood snob and thought anything under 17 hands wasn't worth my time and then I fell in love with him and now I want to own all of the haflingers! It's hard to find big ones that are sporty enough to do the job. Interestingly, owning him has also started an obsession with all obscure breeds and now I'm totally into things like Welsh D's, Connemaras, etc.

Kathy Johnson wrote:Regarding the use of the poles: when you go over the poles , be aware of what you are doing with your body and your aids.

This makes sense. I'll try to pay more attention to what and how I'm doing things going over the poles.

Thanks again guys! I'll keep reporting back until I get this figured out. :)

Bats79
Novice

Postby Bats79 » Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:53 am

So what happens when you let him stick his head up in the air and extend in the trot the way he does in the paddock?

Because that's what I would do. Easy enough to get the head "right" when the horse understands that extension is actually lowering behind and lifting and reaching in front rather than making a long flat stride. That's how I teach the riders to get extension on their Morgans. Think Valegro.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Bats79 wrote:So what happens when you let him stick his head up in the air and extend in the trot the way he does in the paddock?

Because that's what I would do. Easy enough to get the head "right" when the horse understands that extension is actually lowering behind and lifting and reaching in front rather than making a long flat stride. That's how I teach the riders to get extension on their Morgans. Think Valegro.

So, this gets into the "I have no idea" department. I have given this a try, but I haven't been able to try it with a ground person around me, so I really just don't know. Sometimes I get a feel like he might be lengthening, but on a horse like him, it's hard to know whether he just got more knee action instead. I think I am going to have to try this with me on the ground and someone else on him.

I'm headed out in a few, so I'll report back after the lunging and if I can find someone to get on and try this out. Thanks! :)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:57 pm

You should know when he kicks into gear. It is very obvious. It comes from behind...not what is going on in front (although eventually you will get more amplitude in front as they get stronger and the balance becomes more consistent). The tempo doesn't change, the steps get much longer. If you are posting, you are in the air longer on the up. My mare isn't a big mover but it was very easy to to tell. Sometimes she gives me a bit but usually, the medium is either there or it isn't and she just gets quick. The other thing is, once you do get it, don't get greedy. Get him to maintain his balance and not fall on his face and drag you out of the saddle. Once you get it, build on that slowly until he can maintain it.

Do you have access to ride a horse that does lengthen/mediums? Maybe a ride or two would give you the feeling you want.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:03 am

You do feel it. My horse was a 14.3hh fat half Friesian and I could notice it. And be prepared that it can take a little while for them to give it to you, you can't do one lap around the arena and have it work (or you might if you are lucky!!) you kinda have to hang on and go for it until you get it. If you take the pressure off too early, they remember what they were doing when you take that pressure off.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:11 am

Kyra's Mom wrote:You should know when he kicks into gear. It is very obvious. It comes from behind...not what is going on in front (although eventually you will get more amplitude in front as they get stronger and the balance becomes more consistent). The tempo doesn't change, the steps get much longer. If you are posting, you are in the air longer on the up. My mare isn't a big mover but it was very easy to to tell. Sometimes she gives me a bit but usually, the medium is either there or it isn't and she just gets quick. The other thing is, once you do get it, don't get greedy. Get him to maintain his balance and not fall on his face and drag you out of the saddle. Once you get it, build on that slowly until he can maintain it.

Do you have access to ride a horse that does lengthen/mediums? Maybe a ride or two would give you the feeling you want.

Susan

I've ridden many an extension with success, but those were on warmbloods, not on drafty ponies. He makes effort and goes more forward, but forward on a horse like him doesn't equate to extension up front. He does step more under himself and push more, but again, it tends to equate to higher/more knee action.

The lunging today went well. I warmed him up with side reins and then took them off so he could put his head as high in the air as he wanted/needed. I was able to get him to get closer to a lengthening on the line. A little tricky because he wants to break to canter rather than make more effort at the trot. So, I threw one of the girls at the barn up there. With a rider, I couldn't get quite as much lengthening, but it was much easier to keep him from cantering. I think if I keep incorporating that into training, it really might pay off.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:51 pm

I worked some on medium trot Saturday out on the road (perfect footing that day) because Rudy was giving me a great sitting trot. With my TB, I find I must not let him speed up because he will flatten, so I do most medium work out of collecting work such as si, hp, or even collected canter to walk to medium trot. Only recently have I been working half steps because he tends to brace at the base of his neck. Our best work comes from out of the arena still, assuming I have his back and base of neck, because he does not sneak behind my leg and he stays honest to the bit. Unlike your halfie, my TB is ewe-necked with a fine throatlatch, making it challenging to keep him from raising and shortening his neck. Maybe my method will not be of help.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:53 pm

Sue B wrote:I worked some on medium trot Saturday out on the road (perfect footing that day) because Rudy was giving me a great sitting trot. With my TB, I find I must not let him speed up because he will flatten, so I do most medium work out of collecting work such as si, hp, or even collected canter to walk to medium trot. Only recently have I been working half steps because he tends to brace at the base of his neck. Our best work comes from out of the arena still, assuming I have his back and base of neck, because he does not sneak behind my leg and he stays honest to the bit. Unlike your halfie, my TB is ewe-necked with a fine throatlatch, making it challenging to keep him from raising and shortening his neck. Maybe my method will not be of help.

Sounds like they are built differently, but have some of the same issues. I should try to go out on the trails more, but I dont' like to go alone and truth be told, I'm a total arena baby. So, I need to work on this.

Today I did another round of lunging/flailing and I think it went better. I was starting to get some lengthened trot with a little more expression up front instead of the "hackney knees." Then I was trying to figure out okay how to I translate this to that he understands under saddle that I want the same thing. So, I decided to make a designated noise when I want big trot. It's sort of "tschh tschh." Anyway, I'm not trying to trick train him, just to help provide some clarity so that when I put my aids on under saddle he more clearly understands that it's not fast/knee trot that I'm looking for, but slower/longer trot. More updates after Saturday! :)

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:28 pm

Great! And if you make that noise in the tempo you want, it asks him to match it. I don't know if you can hear me over leaves and the hoofbeats. And even if you're getting what you want at libery, you can say "good" in rhythm as a reward. It's not trick training, a simple reward based training philosophy. Dawn is no longer for sale, just so it's clear I'm not selling a horse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rw-P-PgMOys

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:15 am

Thanks Kathy for your suggestions.

Here is the latest update!

SOooooo I have good news and bad news. The good news is that after 2 days of lunging/flailing around (once with one of the barn girls up there), I had a lesson, where I swear to god we actually got a lengthening!!!!!!!!!! The ride started out a little ho hum and we worked on a few flying changes and then switched gears to lengthenings. I tried a couple with no success and my trainer was just like "KEEP GOING" so we were going around the arena all wild and such and then as I came through the short side in front of her, she told me to move his neck, so I counter flexed for a stride then back to true flexion then counter flex and then I pointed him across the diagonal and for literally the first time ever, I felt his shoulders punching out in front. So, my training was yelling "YES" and as soon as it was over I rewarded him with treats and it was glorious. Basically, I felt like I had just won the darn Olympics.

Okay onto the bad news. After we gave him a rest, we tried again and I couldn't get it again. :( Then the next day he was frisky as all hell, but I still couldn't get it again. :cry: Le sigh. At least we got it once, so I know we can do it again, I just have to figure out how.

The other bad part was that I was so excited in the moment, I can't remember what I did to get the lengthening. Meaning, I can remember the flailing and flexing before, but I can't remember if I was posting/sitting, had connection/didn't have connection, etc. So, I am a little miffed at myself about that.

On the bright side, now I know we can do it (and maybe more importantly my trainer now knows we can do it). I'm going to keep going with the lunging, and hopefully I'll have another breakthrough soon. Feel free to keep the suggestions coming in and I'll keep reporting back until I get this darn thing figured out! :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:29 am

Well you know it's there!!!! It's so exciting when you get it :)

exvet

Postby exvet » Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:21 pm

Though I don't have as many any more, I still have welsh cobs. One is my stinker pony. I have been told by quite a few trainers (many well known ones, some internationally) that due to my pony's short front legs he will never have true mediums or extensions. Now the quandary for me always has been that he has awesome ones at liberty and he does awesome lateral work at the trot. I've tried so many of the suggestions ad nauseum and with proper prep work as well as strength building, stretches, etc. What finally worked for us, as in the proverbial light bulb moment, was in-hand training. I'm not talking about lounging at all. I've taught stinker to piaffe and passage in hand. It was slow methodical work with the piaffe in hand that has made the most difference because that is what clarified and confirmed my suspicions that I've had for many years based on riding and training him as well as pictures I've had taken of us riding. He simply did not know how to use his body properly even though everyone agreed that he had considerable 'sit' ability. He's a pony who could sit but had no idea how to raise his forehand with out inverting or more importantly using the base of his neck as a fulcrum. As a result there was no way he could extend his shoulder with the base of his neck scrunched down and tight. He could shorten the base, sit and raise his wither but not extend his shoulder because of this. So we went to work on me using two piaffe whips, one to tap, tap, tap and keep the hind end active and sitting and the other one to keep (and eventually just as a reminder) lifting his chest and neck AND reach to the bit (not behind). It took a wee bit of coordination for me and for him; but, now he has true and honest lift and reach through the forehand even with me on him. He just had to be taught how to use himself properly. I was not able to get that one piece through to him from the saddle and mostly for the fact that welsh cobs especially those that have been taught to drive use the base of their neck for everything (very easy and natural for them to do). So my pony who use to get comments of how poorly he moved or the endless criticism I received for 'why bother' now gets 6s on his mediums and even on his trot extensions at PSG. Now I'm hoping I do not have the same challenges with my colt and likely won't because of some differences in conformation; but, if I do, I have more tools in my tool belt to develop movements properly (ie, throwing the stinker off balance by running around only developed his 'bad' habit further).

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:56 pm

Exvet, that is a very helpful description of your training process! Really interesting and congratulations on the outcomes.

HafDressage, you know you will get it again (and remember more next time).

I've been doing some lungeing work in our crappy weather. It helps me see where we really are with mediums. Well, they are not consistent enough, but they are better than a year ago! We will keep doing our homework and see where we are later this spring.

demi

Postby demi » Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:59 pm

Post like exvet's are a big part of the reason why I find this board so valuable. Clear explanations based on experience and a genuine appreciation of the horse are not always available even if one pays for them....

Thanks exvet, and all of you who take the time to share your knowledge and experience!

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 12:27 am

I just wanted to add a bit more encouragement!
I have also been struggling with the mediums as I mentioned, and I finally got some true mediums recently after my horse had a few weeks off. What really worked this time was really working on the straightness on the circle in a very small trot and then building to a lengthened trot over and over. Once we had this soft and swinging on the circle I asked for half a long side and got the best sit and push I ever have in trot! I also thought I'd won gold at the Olympics :D
And my coach is also a wonderful photographer and managed a few pictures.

inharmonydressage
Greenie

Postby inharmonydressage » Thu Feb 04, 2016 2:40 am

Just food for thought....my mare is at I2/GP, we do not always get the medium or extended trot on the first try either. She has some front heel sensitivity, which causes her to be a bit choppy in front because of her comfort level. We now use Cavallo boots with inserts instead of shoes w/pads to make her more comfortable. However at this level there is alot of push from behind, her hind quarters are pretty massive. This comes from the sitting capabilities that come with collected work, that includes the ability to show self carriage through all the movements of half pass, shoulder in, haunches in, haunches out, collected canter and collected counter canter, canter pirouettes, piaffe, and passage. So, I usually to get the best result from my mare, I do the medium and extended canters first. I do this because her self carriage (carrying power) and uphill balance is extremely good in the canter. Then we rest for 3 minutes. We occasionally lose self carriage (that uphill feeling with strong pushing from behind) at the trot, so when self carriage becomes unsteady, she pulls, or tries to pull the reins from my hands and falls onto her forehand, sometimes I also lose my own front to back balance or my concentration (causing a misapplication of the aids). So, you see even with a very strong seat and a horse that only has passage left to fully accomplish....this can still happen. So, I re-up my concentration, rethink the correct aids, rebalance my self, re-balance the mare with a strong half halt...making certain she is in complete balance front to back and side to side, then execute the correct aids by moving my legs back behind the girth and squeezing slightly, holding strongly on the reins (un-allowing reins, not pulling) trying not to allow her to fall onto her forehand again. Rising trot helps with this movement and also the horse being slightly above the vertical instead of low and vertical or behind the vertical....usually you can get at least some steps this way. The third time is usually a charm. Remember you and your horse must be in complete balance as you attempt this movement. He must possess the strength in his hind quarters to push and the strength in his back for self carriage. This is developed through collected work some of which has been mentioned before. I would try to develop them in this order...shoulder in (in walk/trot and canter), 10 meter circles at trot and canter. half pass at trot and canter, half pass steps into a large canter pirouette circle, half steps, piaffe steps allowing him to make forward motion. All of these will help with the strengthening that is needed for the self carriage and thrust he will need to get up off his forehand and float freely forward. If you've seen him do it in the paddock, he can do it with you. My mare can move in the paddock at the trot in such a way, it makes the hairs go up on the back of my neck....just awesome to witness. Once you get him stronger and rebalanced you will be able to feel this uphill thrust in his trot. You can do this through some hard work! Good luck! :D

Niki
Greenie

Postby Niki » Thu Feb 04, 2016 6:58 am

demi wrote:Post like exvet's are a big part of the reason why I find this board so valuable. Clear explanations based on experience and a genuine appreciation of the horse are not always available even if one pays for them....

Thanks exvet, and all of you who take the time to share your knowledge and experience!

Just wanted to repeat this as your explanation resonated with me and its something i will be introducing to my big clydie x mare in the near future.

HafDressage
Herd Member

Postby HafDressage » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:26 am

Exvet great post! I don't know if I'm skilled enough to really try it on the ground. That is one area where I don't have a lot of practice. Klark_Kent love the pics! What is he?

Sorry to be slow to get back to this, but I spent the last week or so pouting about our non-existent lengtheningd. We had it once as I said earlier, then we lost it and I just could not figure out how to get back to it. :( So, like an adult I pouted about it for awhile.

Okay so tonight we had another breakthrough. One of the asst. trainers was out with her big WB and she was like lets trot around the property side by side. So we did and the first long trot set felt pretty good. Well then, we were headed back up toward the barn on one of the grassy paths, which has a very slight incline and poof! Lengthening!!! So this time, I was able to tell him what a good boy he was and I am positive I had a connection and it lasted long enough for me to both sit and post at the end. Again, I feel like I won the Olympics! Twice in one year, such a feat. :D

Soooo,I'm sure we are still a bit of a ways away from being able to do it in the ring (where he is naturally much more of a lazy pants), but at least we got it again and I could reward him for it.

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:52 am

HafDressage, he is a WB but jumping bred so has a super canter, great walk and definitely not a spectacular trot!
There's nothing mechanically wrong with his trot, it's just definitely not a wow trot. He struggles to reach with his shoulders and can get tight in front and shorten his neck so I'm forever trying to get him to stretch but stay up :/

Oh, nearly forgot to say well done on your breakthrough! It doesn't matter how small it seems, if we just keep building on them eventually they become established :)

Return to “Dressage Training”