Clinic with Janet Foy

A forum for discussion of training in dressage
lorilu
Herd Member

Clinic with Janet Foy

Postby lorilu » Sun Jan 31, 2016 2:24 am

WOndering if anyone has experience..... I have riding slot in a clinic with Janet Foy next month and just wondering what to expect. As you know, I ride a Lusitano - who does not respond well to the "push 'em forward" German style of training. I hope to work on the timing of aids for changes, and possibly effectively warming him up so he gives me his back. he's a tricky schoolmaster who can fool the eye (but not the rider's ass).
Of course, I have my own position issues too.... LOL

Feel free to PM me !!

bailey
Herd Member

Re: Clinic with Janet Foy

Postby bailey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 3:28 am

I was able to audit, not ride, a clinic with her and it was very helpful. She was respectful and supportive of the riders, but was also honest and gave constructive feedback in my opinion. The riders (one was my trainer) seemed to enjoy working with her and the auditors did too. She took questions from the auditors in between riders, which I really liked and enjoyed. I learned a lot and I would do it again if I had the chance. Maybe a bucket list item to actually ride with her some day!

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:23 pm

I think she is a very good instructor and clinician. She is direct and does not sugar-coat reality (so if you need that, you will hate her), but she also is very helpful at giving practical, accessible guidance which results in rapid improvement.

I think she is especially good for more riders who aim to develop with competition in mind. She is also very accepting and appreciative of different horses and types.

I make these comments based on auditing clinics. I've also really enjoyed her books. Hope to hear about your clinic experiences next month!

tlkidding
Herd Member

Postby tlkidding » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:23 pm

I've ridden with her a bunch. I think she'll do great with you and your Lusitano. She just really wants the rider to try hard and listen.

Watch as many rides as you can before yours and stay and watch after your ride. She notices who is watching, and she also will use variations on the same exercise all day: one clinic had a zig-zag leg-yield or HP depending on your level where the focus was on stopping and moving the shoulders over. All the riders were going too much sideways, but when I rode at the end of the day I had watched enough to give it a decent try the first time around.

She works really well with all breeds that I've seen (WB, TBs, paints, NSH, arabians, fjord, halflingers, etc.); however, describe your horse with very grounded facts - i.e., he's a Lusitano schoolmaster that has done X and Y and I bought him because he was X (in my budget, easy to sit...). Not "I bought him because I loooovve the breed and he's so beautiful."

If you can and haven't already, read at least one of her books. She likes to chat about them.

Return to “Dressage Training”