Cabbage Rolls

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Cabbage Rolls

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:02 pm

http://www.claudiascookbook.com/2010/10 ... age-rolls/

It is Canadian Thanksgiving this weekend - I am going to attempt to make these. If successful, I think I will be wife of the year. I am actually going to tweak it by adding canned tomatoes (actually debating adding a jar of salsa to tell you the truth), and mixing it half beef/half pork, and using a whole package of bacon. I will use some of the bacon in the sauce, as per the directions, and the remainder in the meat mixture. I don't use short grain rice, so basmati it is.

I will keep you posted. And wish me luck. This will probably be an all day adventure. Yikes.

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Re: Cabbage Rolls

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:31 pm

*Just adding this here in case people didn't see it in the Observation Lounge*

Pretty much followed the recipe but these were the changes I made as per some suggestions here and from other friends and family.

I did not precook the rice or meat.
My tomato base is actually one can of diced tomatoes and one jar of salsa.
I used 1 lbs ground bison meat, 1lbs ground pork, 2 cups rice, chopped half a medium sized onion and half a package of bacon in my meat mixture.
Since I did not have time to sour the cabbage, I put a couple handfuls of premade sauerkraut in between the layers and on top. (I bought a 500g tube of it from the grocery store and used the whole package with this.)
The bottom of the roaster, I greased with melted butter, then poured a layer of tomato/salsa mixture, then my first layer of rolls. (For some reason, I had a fear of the rolls sticking to my roaster if I didn't line it with this first.)
Layered row 1 of rolls, added my sauerkraut and then tomato/salsa mixture.
Did the same for the second layer and then added enough water to bring level with the roaster.
Threw it in a 325°F oven for 3 and a half hours, checking every 30 minutes to see if I needed to add water - because it was a very deep roaster, I only had to add water once.
I had a dozen that didn't fit in this roaster, so I put them in a smaller, more shallow roaster, and I had to frequently add water to that one - assuming because it was so shallow and the moisture boiled off faster than the deep one?
In total, I think I got about a couple short of 3 dozen out of this batch.

Quality Control - aka my family - told me that if I were to ever make this again..... Don't change a thing! I think it is safe to say, they were a hit.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”