bascar
Herd Member

Party Appetizers

Postby bascar » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:38 pm

It's that time of year!

Originally posted by Lmaris, Silk and I have added comments at the end

Chili Bacon Wrapped Breadsticks

3/4 cup lightly packed brown sugar
3 tbsp chili powder (I always add a bit more for more spice)
1 package thin-sliced bacon (16 oz size)
1 package thin breadsticks - grissini (3 oz size) (You can find these in the salad making area of the market. Usually by the croutons.)

Preheat oven to 350.
In a pie plate, combine brown sugar and chili powder and set aside.
Cut bacon in half lengthwise. Wrap 1 piece of bacon around each breadstick. Roll each breadstick in brown-sugar mixture.
Place breadsticks in a single layer on a cooling rack. Place rack on a foil-lined 15 x 10 x 1 jelly-roll pan. (I use a silicone cookie sheet as it’s easier to get the breadsticks off the pan this way.)
Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Serve at room temperature.

Silk says:
If you cook them at a higher temp, the ends (not covered by bacon) burn while the middle is nicely crispy, if not even a little underdone. Then the ends are inedible. I had better results turning the temp down slightly and leaving them in for longer (1/2 hour +).
The trick is being able to wrap the entire breadstick in bacon, methinks. Those ones turned out the best for me. The close runners up were the ones with only a small amount of bacon to breadstick - a skinny piece wrapped around but not overlapping, so the breadstick didn’t get soggy in the middle.

Bascar says:
Bearing in mind Silk's comments and a tip from Silverbridge, I thinned the bacon by pressing and smearing it with a knife so it was more like prosciutto

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Party Appetizers

Postby Josette » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:08 pm

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/81940/mini-reubens/

We had these last year over the holidays - everyone loved them.

VirginiaRooks
Greenie

Re: Party Appetizers

Postby VirginiaRooks » Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:22 am

Much obliged for sharing this data.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”