Mission/Arts&Crafts furniture

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Mission/Arts&Crafts furniture

Postby Koolkat » Wed Dec 23, 2015 6:15 pm

Does anyone know much about this style? I have a sideboard I purchased ~20 years ago in pristine condition. It is still in good condition, but has a very small area (you have to look for it) that is slightly stained.

We have an English (mass stuff) import store which has similar styles, but this is slightly larger and much better made. The engineering on the drawers is impeccable, still. It is American made, mid-40s (I was told) and the manufacturer is on the back (I believe Ohio). The oak is quarter sawed, it is light golden in color (although it has darkened), and has a lined silver drawer. It is quite nice, and worked well in our 1927 bungalow when we lived in town, but doesn't work at all in our current home and I don't foresee going back to a town. It's a great paperweight, but I'd like to do something else with the space.

It is 51' high, 54' wide, and 23' deep. Any suggestions on how to market or price?

sideboard (640x360).jpg
sideboard (640x360).jpg (86.53 KiB) Viewed 10317 times

silver drawer (640x360).jpg
silver drawer (640x360).jpg (93.56 KiB) Viewed 10317 times

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Re: Mission/Arts&Crafts furniture

Postby Tuffytown » Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:33 pm

It would be unusual for a mass produced A&C piece to be made in the 40's since that wasn't the "in" style. If that is true it may have been a commissioned piece or from one of the classic A&C makers with some interesting changes to appeal to the times. It is classic quarersawn but doesn't look like it was fumed. It does have some idiosyncracies in it looks like there is routing around the doors and drawers rather than a shaker style flat panel and it uses the curved stretcher on the bottom of the frame yet the cloud lift pattern on the upper back board so it is kind of mixed in it's craftsman design elements. What is the material used on the actual backsplash?

What is the maker name-mark? Can you photo that and post it?

Darby
Greenie

Postby Darby » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:15 pm

I agree that it doesn't look quite like a "purebred" arts & crafts piece. While I can't pick out the specific design elements that Tuffy mentions, the overall look of it seems like they may have been trying to incorporate a slightly more "modern" look to it - for that time, I mean. I like it a lot, myself.

Where are you located? I have a place I could use it!

My comments are based my own observations - I've had absolutely no training in this!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Dec 23, 2015 8:21 pm

No info, but I like it.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:48 pm

Well, they say pictures = 1,000 words so I'll just post. I purchased this in the mid-80's at Bushell's (no longer in business)in Seattle, it hasn't gone too far.
20151223_132715 (640x360).jpg
20151223_132715 (640x360).jpg (104.13 KiB) Viewed 10282 times

20151223_132916 (360x640).jpg
20151223_132916 (360x640).jpg (106.9 KiB) Viewed 10282 times

Found this reference to Grote Rankin (I'd never heard of them):

FRANK AND BONNIE Cech had no idea they lived in a celebrity home until they looked through a paper bag left by the former owners. It included a charred and crumpled newspaper article pronouncing it the Model Home of 1925.

The tidy Tudor Revival cottage in the Eastlake neighborhood didn’t seem all that uncommon. But in June of 1925, as the centerpiece for a celebration called Better Home Week, its construction and furnishing became the subject of a series of articles in The Seattle Daily Times, co-sponsor with Stetson & Post Lumber Co. of a model home program. Grote-Rankin Co., a leading Seattle furniture store with branches in Portland and Spokane, took responsibility for interior design and furnishing. The intent was to show off the latest ideas in home design and decoration and, indirectly, to stimulate sales of new products.

The house’s pedigree might have remained in obscurity had it not been for architectural historian and educator Caroline Swope, who discovered it as she browsed through an important local photography collection. Swope includes this home in “Classic Houses of Seattle: High Style to Vernacular, 1870-1950.” In it, she explores more than 120 Seattle houses of every imaginable style. In the case of this house, the prolific photography firm of Webster & Stevens documented its construction and completed rooms; these images are now part of the Pemco Webster & Stevens Collection at the Museum of History & Industry.
Last edited by Koolkat on Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Darby
Greenie

Postby Darby » Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:59 pm

Darn it. I'm on the othe coast!

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:12 pm

That would be a lot of stamps!

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:42 pm

Not a manufacturer I am familiar with. It did give me the opportunity to learn what a big industry furniture making was in Rockford Illinois around the turn of the century.

I would contact Historic Seattle, Larry Kreisman, and get a contact at the Seattle Arts and Crafts Guild. Someone there could probably steer you towards a better answer.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Dec 24, 2015 1:33 am

OP, where are you located? That will make a big difference on pricing, as some areas are over run with mission furniture. Also, do note that this style is much less popular than it was 15-20 years ago nation-wide (although I still really like it!).

Sure you can't keep it?

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Dec 28, 2015 2:52 am

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The person at Bushell's told me it was made in the 30's (vs. 40's), so perhaps early 30's would be closer to the time when this style was more sought after. I've done some googling and have pieces somewhat similar and most claim to be made in the early 1900's. I have also realized what good shape this piece is in relative to many I saw!

Tuffy, I will follow up on your reference, thanks for the information. I'm also contemplating spending the $15 for a professional appraisal, but would like to get some local feedback first.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon Dec 28, 2015 5:07 pm

If asked without your background info I would put it in the teens or early 20's. Later 20's and 30's on until the 50's the trends in furniture styling was more ornate. It almost has some Empire characteristics but that was an earlier style. The knobs are certainly A&C except for how shiny they are but the solid slab doors are quite a puzzle.

heddylamar
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby heddylamar » Tue Dec 29, 2015 3:17 am

I have a very similar A&C sideboard I'm refinishing. It was my grandparents, but Nana couldn't recall the particulars. Mine is in no where as near good condition (diesel mechanic used to drop keys, gloves, tools, engine parts, et al), and has been repaired many times.

Yours appears to have routing on the doors and drawers that mine lacks. Nor does mine have the wide drawer above the doors. But, the doors on mine are flat too.

Not a clue about monetary value.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”