Credit card recommendations?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Credit card recommendations?

Postby texsuze » Tue Mar 22, 2016 4:25 pm

Subject line sounds like an oxymoron, but I'm considering changing credit card providers. I don't need airline miles, but it would be nice to have some type of 'cash back' or some other perk associated with use that isn't restrictive. No annual fees, certainly. No preference as to MC or Visa. You can PM me if you'd like. Thanks!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: Credit card recommendations?

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:08 pm

Love, love, love my Discover card. Had one since 1997. Accepted almost everywhere now, cash-back in a couple different formats, EXCELLENT customer service.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:31 pm

I love American Express Blue. You get points that you can use towards stuff. No annual fee and wonderful customer service.

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:19 am

Tarlo Farm wrote:Love, love, love my Discover card. Had one since 1997. Accepted almost everywhere now, cash-back in a couple different formats, EXCELLENT customer service.

Yep, I like Discover too. I had some fraudulent purchases for about $1500 show up on my Discover Card a couple years ago and they were on it so fast. One quick call to verify that it was fraud and they immediately reversed the purchases and took care of everything.

They, and my Chase Freedom card have rotating cash back categories that change quarterly. This quarter they were both gas. Next quarter Discover is restaurants and Chase is groceries. The rest of the time both of them give 1% back on everything. I've been meaning to look into the AmEx Blue Cash Preferred (think that's what it's called) that gives 6% back on groceries year round. With Discover, and I think with the Chase card as well, I can use the bonus any time at the rate of .01/point for Amazon purchases, which I like. Many cards give a less favorable point redemption rate for gift cards and/or cash.

If you look at nerdwallet.com, you might be able to find a card with a nice new account bonus, like a $200 credit for spending $1K in the first three months or whatever.
Keep calm and canter on.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:38 pm

Thanks for feedback. DH has Chase Freedom and likes the cash back option, and the 'no annual fee' component, too. I'm trying to pare down/consolidate the number of cards I have, which includes too many gas cards.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:44 pm

No fee with Discover, and I think you can get extra credit for gas purchases. I don't follow that too closely. I use my card for all gas purchases, and assorted monthly debit payments, then when they build up, redeem the cash credits toward monthly payments.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”