General photography related stuff thread

Suzon
Herd Member

Re: General photography related stuff thread

Postby Suzon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:12 pm

Wow, I hadn't heard about B&H. I still remember going in there when I lived in New York. Bought my first Gitzo tri-pod and Bogen head there.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:13 pm

Sounds like B&H has had this similar issue before :(

I am now conflicted on ordering from them as I can sometimes get a better price or more in a "package" from them than from Amazon... Have never ordered from Adorama...

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Don't go with Adorama or Abe's of Maine (which is not in Maine). They do bait and switch all the time.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:41 pm

Thanks for the heads up on Abe's (never considered them) or Adorama...

:( on B&H (I like them but from the sounds of it, don't like their business practices with respect to their employees.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Mar 07, 2016 2:38 pm

I've ordered from Adorama before, but the chatter on the photog pages is that they are just as bad, if not worse, than B&H. I guess I should have just ordered straight through Nikon, but I had read that they ship out in waves and I may get my camera sooner from B&H, rather than directly.

My new lens should be here Thursday. I don't know why I'm excited, but I am..lol. I'm also whiney because I want my camera NNNNOOOWWWWW. :lol:

I let the bullfighters use my GoPro and uh, I ended up with mostly photos of a certain bullfighter staring directly into it all "is this thing on?". lol I think I have at least 4 versions of like 5 different photos.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:33 am

I need some advise about paper for prints - I was going to purchase this picture (is it spectacular or what!) but wasn't sure about the paper options, particularly the "pearl paper". I googled it and found on the Fuji site a reference to archival pearl paper which I suspect this is, or some variation of it. I assume the 3 "grades" refer to some degree of "pearl effect"???? So I want the print to be on museum quality paper and I don't want the effect to be overstated or not natural looking = too contrasty. Is anyone familiar with this paper? I get why you would use it with this picture, but I don't want to overdo the "glitter" effect. If you click on the "this print can be purchased" option, you pull up the information. Thanks for any advise/information.

http://www.andrewschoemanphotography.co ... 18803.html

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Mar 16, 2016 1:25 pm

Koolkat wrote:I need some advise about paper for prints - I was going to purchase this picture (is it spectacular or what!) but wasn't sure about the paper options, particularly the "pearl paper". I googled it and found on the Fuji site a reference to archival pearl paper which I suspect this is, or some variation of it. I assume the 3 "grades" refer to some degree of "pearl effect"???? So I want the print to be on museum quality paper and I don't want the effect to be overstated or not natural looking = too contrasty. Is anyone familiar with this paper? I get why you would use it with this picture, but I don't want to overdo the "glitter" effect. If you click on the "this print can be purchased" option, you pull up the information. Thanks for any advise/information.

http://www.andrewschoemanphotography.co ... 18803.html

I haven't used the pearl paper, so I'm kind of useless to you, but I can ask around on some of the photography groups and see what they have to say about it.

I have my new lens in and I took it out last night to a bull riding practice. OMG, I didn't realize that my other 70-200 was so lacking. I'm going to have to send it in for service because this one is MUCH sharper.

Playing around at the barn:

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:31 pm

So which is your new lens???

I can at least have lens envy ;)

I get that every time I go to the NASCAR races and watch the photographers with their 2' long lenses that are wide enough for me to crawl down the front of :oops:

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:43 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:So which is your new lens???

I can at least have lens envy ;)

I get that every time I go to the NASCAR races and watch the photographers with their 2' long lenses that are wide enough for me to crawl down the front of :oops:

Oh, this is just the new 70-200 2.8 that I bought. My original 70-200 is almost junk compared to the way this one shoots. I don't get it.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:59 pm

Was your original 70-200 f2.8? (i.e., same lens but what you have now is newer??)

Just curious as I have the 70-200 f2.8 as well...

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Mar 16, 2016 6:56 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Was your original 70-200 f2.8? (i.e., same lens but what you have now is newer??)

Just curious as I have the 70-200 f2.8 as well...

No, one is Nikon and one is Tamron, but both 70-200 2.8. The Nikon has VR, which I never use anyway. I don't think the Tamron does, but not sure since I've never looked.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:25 pm

So your new one is the Nikon or the Tamron, I forget???

I do use VR just because I am not so young any more - but also tend to shoot faster shutter speeds so it isn't as big a deal...

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:42 pm

The new one is Nikon, but the VR 1 Nikon. I thought the Tamron looked fine until I shot with this one..lol.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:21 pm

Whew.... I thought I was going to have to buy a new lens to keep up :)

That's the 70-200 I have :D

Glad to hear you like it!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:51 am

Waaaahhhh! I want a new lens! I've found myself using my 24-105mm most of the time for a walk around lens and it's just not as sharp as my 70-200mm. But it's so convenient for so many things. I'm coveting the 24 -70mm, which is so much better a lens. Can't swing it at the moment.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:05 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:I haven't used the pearl paper, so I'm kind of useless to you, but I can ask around on some of the photography groups and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks, RTR - I just e-mailed the photographer, but it's good to get diverse opinions/experiences. This is the link he sent to the paper (as it turns out, the 1-2 designation is just size).

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/ ... lPaper.pdf

Nice shots you have there!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Mar 21, 2016 3:35 pm

Koolkat wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:I haven't used the pearl paper, so I'm kind of useless to you, but I can ask around on some of the photography groups and see what they have to say about it.

Thanks, RTR - I just e-mailed the photographer, but it's good to get diverse opinions/experiences. This is the link he sent to the paper (as it turns out, the 1-2 designation is just size).

https://www.fujifilmusa.com/shared/bin/ ... lPaper.pdf

Nice shots you have there!

Oh darn, I forgot to ask! The pdf file makes pearl sound similar to what I use for my prints, which is lustre. I like that it's a between of gloss and matte and I think it looks good for the type of prints I'm offering my clients.

Had a little focus issue with my new lens at the event this weekend. More like my issue though. lol.

An example:

I'll post the better images in a bit so that you guys can see the difference between what I posted from my old lens and this lens.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:37 pm

RTR, I'd like to see the comparison photos ;)

Focus on the new ones look good to me...

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:14 pm

Here are a few with the new lens from my Facebook page, so not full resolution:

My go pro videographer lol

Loved this guy's chaps!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:46 pm

Good job. Love that last one where you can really feel the bullfighter pulling the bull away from the cowboy :)

And for a slightly different subject matter.

Taken with my 70-200 yesterday... female Anna's Hummingbird :)
Attachments
20160320-DSC_8805-1-3.jpg
20160320-DSC_8805-1-3.jpg (111.47 KiB) Viewed 24525 times

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:11 pm

Oooh, love the hummingbird! Really nice!

I went to the state park today but not much wildlife out and about.

Josh, the bullfighter in front of the bull, loves that one too. Thanks!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:00 am

RTR and WMW...Whooo Hoooo!!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:49 pm

Thanks!

Just a heads up, the whole Nik Collection is now free, starting today. https://fstoppers.com/lightroom/every-p ... ree-121395

I'm still at work so I haven't downloaded it yet, but I can't wait to play around with the stuff I don't already have.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:52 pm

Nice... after I forked out for it a few years ago :( - might have to download it to see if there is anything new.

I do like their B&W stuff... :)

My head hurts - I discovered (talk about not paying attention when I bought it ;) - the 105mm prime I have is also a macro where you can adjust the magnification ratio with a ring on the lens. Well, sort of anyway. If you AF, you set your "distance" from the subject and that dictates your magnification. Kinda interesting to play with (and yes, I need to play more for sure).

But, given my wheelchair "limitation" it does limit how close I can get to something. Would an adapter added on give me better magnification at a further distance from the subject?

:D

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:37 pm

Okay, I'm a newbie so totally out of place here but you guys know what you're doing so I figure I'll ask.

DH and I are going on a riding vacation in the UK in 3 weeks- 3 days in the Cotswolds, then 4 in Windsor/Eton/Ascot to watch the Royal Windsor Horse Show and do some riding. We need to travel very light because we will be doing a lot of walking/public transportation. I have a Nikon DS3100 with an 18-300mm lens which I can bring but it is bulky. So far, all the travel compacts I am looking at won't match it in terms of photo quality unless I spend close to $1000 and I don't think I can afford that at the moment. There will be landscapes, picturesque Windsor Castle, and taking photos of Charlotte Dujardin at the horse show.

Do I make room for the dSLR or is there something very small (pocket sized) in the $500 range that might do?

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:56 pm

First through that came to mind for what camera to take is what do you think you'll be doing with the photos when you get home? Enlarge and hang/frame? Make into a book??

Maybe look at the mirrorless cameras??? Sony gets decent reviews and you might be able to get the low end in your $500 range (I'd have to look). Might be a decent compromise between the DSLR and the travel compacts...

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:11 pm

They would just be for me and maybe to share a few pics on FB. My picture taking is such that I don't think anyone else wants to see what I produce!
I was looking at the Nikon 1 J5 but once you add in a lens, it gets into the high $800s.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:48 pm

I have the Nikon mirrorless (v1 I think) and am not overly fond of it. Although I do love my D650 :D

I'd look at Sony... maybe the Sony a6000.

That would be on my list if I could afford another camera...

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:00 pm

The a6000 is also about $890 with a lens included. I just don't know if it's worth it to buy a new camera. I might have to just deal with the weight and bring the bigger one. Decisions, decisions.

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:06 am

RTR and WMW I LOVE the pics you are taking with your new lenses! Amazing!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:42 am

Scruffy... where you looking???

B&H has the a6000 with 16-50mm lens for $698 (plus a shoulder bag and 32G SDHC memory card).

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1029860-REG/sony_ilce6000l_b_alpha_a6000_mirrorless_digital.html

Blow it out a bit more and get the 16-50 + 55-210 for $896

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1105052-REG/sony_alpha_a6000_mirrorless_digital.html

Plus a free accessory kit :)

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:44 pm

I must have been seeing the kit with 2 lenses- oops!

Have you seen the a6000 in real life? Do you think with the lenses I could take the camera along on my hacks? Would it fit in my pocket?

Do you have any thoughts about this camera?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... omerReview

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:24 pm

Scruffy, I have a Nikon mirrorless camera with 2 lenses that I would be happy to send you and let you try out. If you think it will work for you, you can borrow it to take on your trip. It's the camera that I keep in my purse/car for those unexpected moments or times I don't want to lug a big camera, and it works fine, but it does take a bit to get used to. #1, it doesn't have a view finder, so you have to frame the shot using the lcd screen and #2 it takes a little while to get used to how you need to hold it to reduce vibration from hand holding. Anyway, if you want to try it out, let me know and I'll send it to you.

The Panasonic Lumix cameras have always been nice, but I think the Sony a6000 would be better. I know a show photographer that uses the a6000 and her photos pretty nice. The one thing I do not like, is that her colors seem off a bit (runs cool), but I think that's more her editing than the camera.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:31 pm

Jan & PJ wrote:RTR and WMW I LOVE the pics you are taking with your new lenses! Amazing!

Aw, thanks so much!

Here is one from last weekend, in an awful indoor arena at night. I just cannot get my mojo in those situations.

I had taken this photo of this guy, and I liked it in black and white, so I sent it to him. We started talking about the photo and decided that he wanted a saying or something on the photo. I started looking up stuff and found this scripture quote that I liked to go with the photo, and when I looked it up, I saw that it was from Joshua, and the guy's name is Joshua. Anyway, I put it on there for him and sent it over and he was blown away. It's not something that I do normally, per se, but it was fun. This is a photo of the computer screen so not the best quality.

And some video Glenn took when the bull was really after him.
https://www.facebook.com/photosbyjohnnie/videos/1161591497198367/

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:48 pm

RTR, very nice :) I forget, do you shoot raw. Looks a little like white balance might be off in the color photo. Having said that, indoors is a pain for sure. You have a good eye and sense of timing for those action shots :) You in the arena or what lens?

And nice offer on the Nikon. I have one of the original v1's and just never clicked with how Nikon implemented the mirrorless. The Sony seems like it has more choices for the types of photography I do.

viscountessleftfield
Herd Member

Postby viscountessleftfield » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:07 pm

Kelvin is your friend in those arenas!

I love the Sony's and hope they are dual slot by the time my 750 dies.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:13 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:RTR, very nice :) I forget, do you shoot raw. Looks a little like white balance might be off in the color photo. Having said that, indoors is a pain for sure. You have a good eye and sense of timing for those action shots :) You in the arena or what lens?

And nice offer on the Nikon. I have one of the original v1's and just never clicked with how Nikon implemented the mirrorless. The Sony seems like it has more choices for the types of photography I do.

I do shoot RAW, and yes, the white balance is fubar'd on all of these really. I've tried everything I know of and that I've found on google to correct it, but I have to correct basically every single photo individually because the shots vary so much. I can't really do that with 1200+ photos, it's just not worth the time at this point and these guys don't really care. Now if they buy a big print or canvas, I will fix it more, but not for previews.

I do really need to work on fixing the white balance correctly though. I'm just at a loss as to what to do next to be honest.

Thanks! Yes, I'm in the arena with my 70-700 2.8. They typically put up some lightweight panels to close off the part of the arena close to the bucking chutes, and I stand behind those. I've only had a cow come through/over a few times. Excuse me, bull. I got in trouble for calling it a cow at the last event. lol The bullfighters are pros though, and even if something did get through, I'm not too worried as they would be all over me to keep me safe. The bulls do come up the fence and hit it with their horns and throw dirt and stuff, right in front of me, which does get the blood pressure going up a bit, I'll admit.

That's me digging stuff out of my camera bag behind the guy.

Dont' ask why I look like I'm pregnant here or what I'm doing with my face, but this is me with the guys behind my "wall". I am never wearing that shirt again though..lol. Maybe it's the boob/arm combo, idk..lol.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:39 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:I've only had a cow come through/over a few times. Excuse me, bull. I got in trouble for calling it a cow at the last event. lol The bullfighters are pros though, and even if something did get through, I'm not too worried as they would be all over me to keep me safe. The bulls do come up the fence and hit it with their horns and throw dirt and stuff, right in front of me, which does get the blood pressure going up a bit, I'll admit.

This did make me giggle. At one point when I was a volunteer for my previous location's Sheriff's Office I was out doing "cattle" duty which meant heading out to the more rural part of the county to get "cows" out of the road based on a complaint by a motorist.

I was working with someone else who wasn't quite as "livestock savvy". We find the cows in question and he called one of the "cows" a bull and made a comment, correctly so, that bulls can be a PITA.

Had to point out to him with with the cows they are easy, they have an udder. If it isn't a cow, count the dangly bits - if there are 3 then it is a bull but if only 1, then a steer and not quite so bad :lol:

Nice that you can get fairly close and still be safe. Yeah, those bullfighters would sure do their best but those bulls are fast as I'm sure you've seen. And I can imagine the pucker if they hit that fence you're standing behind. Me, I'd be afraid to as I'd feel like a sitting duck in my wheelchair :eek:

What if you came up with a "generic" LR preset that wouldn't totally "fix" each photo but maybe clean up each photo a bit and use that preset on the import and then if there is a photo someone wants, do the one-off post??

I'm sitting here as we type going through my photos at the Desert Botanical Garden and moving all the "bird" photos to a different folder and adding keywords to photos that have water in them (believe it or not, there are a number of small, lovely water features throughout the Garden :) ).

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:57 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:
Racetrackreject wrote:I've only had a cow come through/over a few times. Excuse me, bull. I got in trouble for calling it a cow at the last event. lol The bullfighters are pros though, and even if something did get through, I'm not too worried as they would be all over me to keep me safe. The bulls do come up the fence and hit it with their horns and throw dirt and stuff, right in front of me, which does get the blood pressure going up a bit, I'll admit.

This did make me giggle. At one point when I was a volunteer for my previous location's Sheriff's Office I was out doing "cattle" duty which meant heading out to the more rural part of the county to get "cows" out of the road based on a complaint by a motorist.

I was working with someone else who wasn't quite as "livestock savvy". We find the cows in question and he called one of the "cows" a bull and made a comment, correctly so, that bulls can be a PITA.

Had to point out to him with with the cows they are easy, they have an udder. If it isn't a cow, count the dangly bits - if there are 3 then it is a bull but if only 1, then a steer and not quite so bad :lol:

Nice that you can get fairly close and still be safe. Yeah, those bullfighters would sure do their best but those bulls are fast as I'm sure you've seen. And I can imagine the pucker if they hit that fence you're standing behind. Me, I'd be afraid to as I'd feel like a sitting duck in my wheelchair :eek:

What if you came up with a "generic" LR preset that wouldn't totally "fix" each photo but maybe clean up each photo a bit and use that preset on the import and then if there is a photo someone wants, do the one-off post??

I'm sitting here as we type going through my photos at the Desert Botanical Garden and moving all the "bird" photos to a different folder and adding keywords to photos that have water in them (believe it or not, there are a number of small, lovely water features throughout the Garden :) ).

Yeah, I said "Wow, that's a big cow in the chute." and Dustin, in the black t-shirt, said, "Cow? We don't fight no damn cows, that's a bull woman!". Lol. His wife and I are very good friends so he gives me crap.

They always want to bring a chair for me to sit in and I'm like heck no, I want to be mobile out there! lol

I do have a preset that I throw on all of my photos at import, but it doesn't matter with the white balance. Literally every single photo of a series of 20 or so will look different, even with a preset. I need to just sit down and take a weekend to figure out what the heck is going on.

I love bird photos. I need organize my photos better, but again, need more time. There are 2 scissortails that I see every day at the barn, but I keep forgetting to take my camera for photos. I'm going to try and remember this weekend though.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Apr 15, 2016 7:21 pm

Gack on the presets and import. Count me out for suggestions on shooting indoors...

But, I'll send you a PM :)

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:27 pm

Since I was messing about...

Claret Cup cactus

20160323-DSC_8982-1-6.jpg
20160323-DSC_8982-1-6.jpg (114.33 KiB) Viewed 24428 times

Gila Woodpecker

20160211-DSC_5122-1-4.jpg
20160211-DSC_5122-1-4.jpg (93.5 KiB) Viewed 24428 times

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Apr 16, 2016 12:11 am

And prickly pear blooms
Attachments
20160329-DSC_9547-1-2.jpg
20160329-DSC_9547-1-2.jpg (95.37 KiB) Viewed 24426 times
20160327-DSC_9385-1.jpg
20160327-DSC_9385-1.jpg (151.72 KiB) Viewed 24426 times
20160323-DSC_9034-1-2.jpg
20160323-DSC_9034-1-2.jpg (138.23 KiB) Viewed 24426 times

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:16 am

Wow WMW! Those photos just pop! What's your secret?

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:40 am

You guys are awesome and so talented. Thanks for your input. Thank you, racetrackreject, for your offer. I think the Nikon will still be too big but I agree it might be a decent camera for the size. I went and looked at one today and I'm hoping to either go smaller or to just go with what I have. It's probably the best option to just do that. I just was trying to get things smaller, but really- I'm also hoping to get fitted for new boots one of these days and maybe the new camera needs to go on the back burner.

Thanks again.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:40 pm

Scruffy, I was going to suggest (and forgot), head to a big box like BB and hold and look at a few to see what you like and what would work. One of my frustrations is the back of the v1 isn't like my other Nikon's nor is the menu so it was learning a whole new setup. And for the types of photos I take, had features I wouldn't use and missed features I'd have liked...

Pan & PJ. Thank you :) Secret??? Nothing special. A mix of being in the right place at the right time for most of them combined with slowly learning how to post process in Lightroom to get the most out of the photo that I have (I shoot raw and still learning how to use all the LR features to bring out the best in a photo). I have a series of over/under exposed photos that I still need to play with HDR. (and you don't want to know how many photos I have taken to get these few :D )

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:03 am

I actually went to BB yesterday and the sales person so annoyed me I left before I committed an act of violence and got carted away by the authorities. One (among many) reasons for my annoyance is that half the cameras don't even turn on, so you can only just see what they look like. That's actually what told me that the mirrorless cameras are probably too big for my trip since I'm going to be on horseback for so much of the time.

I appreciate why you don't like the v1- as a complete novice, I wouldn't have the same troubles except for the fact that my brain can't make head nor tail of icons.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:09 am

:( on BB...

As far as icons and such... since I've now had a few Nikon DSLR bodies, I like that I can go from body to body and not have to relearn (and the icons are really only on the back; once you're in the menus, there are enough words that is ok.

And me, I hate going into a camera store and then not buying from them... yes, I will go into a camera store but then I want to buy from them if they were helpful and have what I want. I strongly believe in shopping in brick and mortar to keep those stores in business. Having said that, all the Nikon lenses I have now along with the bodies have all been internet based on feedback and reviews :)

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Apr 17, 2016 12:45 pm

I agree with you, which is why I first was thinking about the Nikon 1- I have gotten used to the icons and setup of the D3100.

That being said, I also have trouble with some of the brick and mortar camera stores. My local one, which I'd love to support, is just so "clubby" with "their" people that I feel like an intruder stepping through the door. I did buy my first camera from them but when I bought my $$ lens, they were clear they couldn't really be bothered with the likes of me because they had their friends to get back to. It really put me off. And then people wonder why folks go to the Internet to buy things... I work in retail and knock myself out to give my customers my undivided attention so this kind of thing really gets me.

I'm suck a flake. I'm back to thinking I should just bring the camera I already own and like, despite the weight.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:01 pm

Ugh on that camera store... you are right, you have, theoretically, the $$ and they want it and treat you accordingly. Could be they are burned out on the window shoppers who then head to the internet but still no excuse. Will have to admit to some of the same feelings when I dragged my Nikon into an obvious Canon store (they carried everything but the emphasis was Canon). But, I was treated decently, they checked over my camera and lens and talked to me about post processing which was nice :)

Maybe just a decent point'n'shoot??? Light weight and you should get decent photos out of it for what you're looking for it for. I would get one that has good optical zoom. Digital zoom is just not the quality. This one, I'd have to poke a bit to see if I have anything I'd like to get :)

Yeah, the Nikon mirrorless interface isn't the same as their DSLRs... I'd had the D80, D7000 and now D650 and they are all basically the same. Menu options may be different but features are filed in the same categories and the backs are about the same which I appreciate.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:09 pm

Yes, I might poke around to see what's available in the much lesser point and shoot category. Or I'll just bring the big camera. Thanks so much for bouncing ideas around with me.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”