Silent Auctions for Fundraising?

Rhianon
Herd Member

Silent Auctions for Fundraising?

Postby Rhianon » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:33 pm

Any advice?

I'm a member of a refugee sponsorship group, and we're planning an event for World Refugee Day, 20th June, and are thinking we'll have a silent auction as part of it.

This is a small town, so we are thinking fun and inclusive rather than fancy. I know there are several ways to go about the bids--sealed bids in advance and on the day or just a list of bids on the day. And I am wondering about "minimum bids." We have a couple of donated pieces of art--one a signed print by somebody famous. Value in the region of $450. And a weekend at a cottage probably worth about $700.00. These are probably our "higher end" items.

If anyone has done this, I would appreciate any real-life tips about what works and what doesn't.

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Silent Auctions for Fundraising?

Postby piedmontfields » Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:33 pm

I actually think some advance pre-view of the auction items is nice, especially of the higher value items. I find that I am much more willing to bid "up" when I know about the piece in advance.

Good luck with the event! Sounds like a wonderful cause.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:08 am

What type of event are you going to be holding in conjunction with the silent auction?

Personally, I like to see the item and the bid sheet so I can decide where the item is currentl priced and bid accordingly.

If you feel strongly about a minimum bid, make that the first line on the bid sheet... $value... starting bid and then be prepared to not sell if no one else bids. Or, no minimum bid and be prepared that the item might end up selling for much less than "value". Since it sounds like they were donated, you shouldn't be out any $$ if they sell for less.

The last silent auction I went to I spotted a few items that after a few swings by rapidly became much too rich for my blood :(

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:40 pm

We're just working out the event ideas now. Does anyone have opinions on the kinds of events that work best? Last night we just a little dinner that raised a surprising amount of money, but I don't think we'd do another one this soon.

I'm thinking if we do "bid sheets" then they have to be done on the day, so only people who come to the event will be bidding. Am I right?

We can display the art especially at various locations in town. We can also put photos of them up at our website and/or facebook page for folks to take a peek.

(Yes, I believe refugee sponsorship is a great cause. It's a roller coaster though, getting through the extensive paperwork.)

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:47 pm

Why dont you do an online "silent" auction. Put up descriptions and pics of items, and have a weeklong online bidding process. It's not silent in that people can see the current bid like on eBay. I did one of these every year for a therapeutic riding program, and it worked well.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:17 pm

Interestingly, I am currently working on an auction for the Salvation Army in our local area. This will be the second time we have done so. Michael and I donate the software for the online auction. Send me a PM if you want the software.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:20 pm

I've attended a variety of silent auctions, from volunteer fire department bar-b-ques, where the items were either "re-purposed", or, gift certificates from local businesses, to large, non-profit organization cocktail affairs where the wine flowed and the bids soared 8-)

Previews of the more substantial items are always nice, and getting the word out is a must. At one high-end event, folks who planned to bid had their credit cards swiped at the beginning of the evening, and were given a sheet of 'peel-off' bar codes specific to them, to place on the bid cards next to pre-printed amounts. It was nice because bidder remained anonymous. At the end of the evening, bar codes were scanned, bidders came up to a central processing table, and got the print-out of their totals and what they bought. I'm sure there are even more sophisticated ways of doing it now.

Usually, though, folks just put their name on a sheet of paper stationed at the item. Many of the silent auctions I've been to did have minimum bids, bid increments were often indicated. Sounds like fun!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:22 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:Personally, I like to see the item and the bid sheet so I can decide where the item is currentl priced and bid accordingly.

If you feel strongly about a minimum bid, make that the first line on the bid sheet... $value... starting bid and then be prepared to not sell if no one else bids. Or, no minimum bid and be prepared that the item might end up selling for much less than "value". Since it sounds like they were donated, you shouldn't be out any $$ if they sell for less.

All of this, plus Texsuze. Was a bit-player in an auction for a friend dying of cancer. We had hours of discussion regarding best practices. Met once a week for six weeks. Pull out all the stops, knock on every door, invite everyone to help/donate/attend. Play to people's strength. We had a person who had been a big-city fundraiser in charge of structure, a local shop-owner who took charge of displaying items and lay-out, an ad exec who did publicity...
Raise a HUGE amount of money in a county of 20,000. Mid five figures huge. Have a good plan for taking checks and cash regarding security and keeping the money safe until it can be deposited.
Push hard, it's just for a short time. Collapse later. Good luck.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Mon Apr 11, 2016 11:37 pm

I am really liking the idea of the online auction. I've gathered ideas and talked to local folks to find out what might work. Going to go over the options with the team. Folks often think things are a good idea until I ask who is going to volunteer!

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:52 pm

Don't ask who is going to volunteer. Tell people what you need. For instance, tell the shop-keeper you need someone to display the items in the most attractive manner(it really makes a difference), if you're doing stuff online you need photos. Who has a good camera and takes lots of photos? Tell the banker you need to borrow bank bags and oh, by the way, someone to handle money, tell the electrician you need extension cords for crockpots, tell the person who runs the bingo hall you need help taking tickets and making change at the door... Whatever. Close your eyes, walk yourself through the entire situation and see what and who you need where. Play to people's strengths. I find most folks love to help, IF they are given a specific job when they are asked to help.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:48 pm

I think the idea of an on-line auction combined with a vendor integration sounds great

If art work/ items can be farmed out to locations, people can go see it and perhaps support local business ( coffee shops, bakeries, cafes bookstores etc) Also public areas like police and fire stations, libraries, city hall , business shop window display.

Then for the on-line bidding you need to allow a long bid process so people can observe and participate.

If you would like to have a community gathering consider something later in the summer. If the community is large enough contact different social clubs and ask if they would like to participate in a "folk life" event. Dancing arts etc. from around the world.

Rhianon
Herd Member

Postby Rhianon » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:23 am

You guys are great. Here's the current plan. Local high school kids want to a coffee house sort of thing for Refugee Day (20th June, we'd do it the Saturday before) -music, poetry reading (there is a UNHCR poetry competition for Refugee Day), Q&A on Sponsorship in Canada (a big topic here this year in response to the Syrian crisis). Online auction leading up to that--announce winners at the coffee house. We have local places we can display the objects.

Tarlo--great point. I'm going to do exactly what you suggest.

Of course, I have exactly no idea how online auctions function, so shall be pming Chancellor for info!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”