Printer/scanner/copier/fax--who do you like?

texsuze
500 post plus club

Printer/scanner/copier/fax--who do you like?

Postby texsuze » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:48 pm

DH's old printer/scanner/copier/fax machine is giving up the ghost. We are exclusively Mac in this house and are looking to replace the HP unit that sits on his desk.

Requirements: printer (Mac compatible, ink cartridges that aren't monster expensive)
fax machine (batch feed capabilities)
scanner (Mac compatible)
flat surface copier (must be able to handle magazines, newspapers, books, etc.)
small-medium footprint (not office-sized)

DH saw a Canon Pixma MX922 but wants to see if it can handle photocopying pages from magazines, books.
Any suggestions are welcome!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: Printer/scanner/copier/fax--who do you like?

Postby WheresMyWhite » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:20 pm

Me? I just went to Costco and got the cheapest printer/scanner/copier they had. I believe it includes a FAX but I don't use it.

Not sure what you mean by "office size". It is slightly larger than just the flat-bed scan part of the printer. Input and output trays are on the front (at least for one size paper) and I have them both hanging off the front of the cabinet where it sits. Wi-fi and LAN supported as well and I think I've used both (not positive on the wi-fi).

Capable of double sided output. I think 2 input trays for different size paper.

It's an Epson WF3620. I think I paid $70 mumble.

Yes, I am primarily a Mac household :)

No issues with it using Sierra.

Literiding
Herd Member

Postby Literiding » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:42 am

I have a Canon MX922 that is used with a Mac ethernet and WiFi network. It has been in service a bit over two years.

The printer is plugged in a USB port on my older Apple AirPort Time Capsule (I have an AirPort Express that actually supplies my home WiFi) and it works with all three of my Macs without issue. They all find the printer without human intervention and it interface well with all the applications on the various computers and even the Windows 7 that operates on the iMac in a virtual machine environment. I've also printed from an iPad direct to the printer using both Numbers and Pages on the iPad. I expect that I could print from my iPhone but have never had the necessity to do so. This is the second Canon printer that I've had in this network and both have worked pretty seamlessly with network.

The MX922 has been quite reliable and have no operational issues with it. But ! ! ! !

Yes, the paper handler on top can be opened to scan a bulky magazine or book though not handily. I have a flat bed that I use rather than the printer which also allows for higher resolution.

The MX922 cleans the heads before a print job which takes about a minute to minute and a half to start printing which seems like forever while you're waiting for your printout to appear. If you send another print job to printer right away, it will print without cleaning the heads again. But after a fairly short period of time, it "resets" and insists on cleaning the heads again. I don't print a lot (a ream of paper last several years) so most of my ink is expended cleaning the heads.

The other irritation is when you want to do a print job with legal sized paper, you have to take out the letter sized cassette remove the paper and re-size the cassette for legal paper, reload it, and put it back in the machine. Since I use legal sized paper on once "in a blue moon," it hasn't been a big issue. The second paper cassette only handles various size of photo print paper which I have never used. When I print a photo, I go for the big time and use a letter sized paper.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:19 pm

my last few have been canon and I have been happy. I don't use them to copy as I have a large copier (canon) but my main criteria is batch scan and being able to keep working if the color ink is empty or died out (using black only as I rarely use color).

DH had no problem downloading drivers to run it off his mac.

If you do a lot of photos and want that quality most photographers prefer epson but the ink usage gets expensive,

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:38 pm

Our office has a Canon ImageCLASS MF227dw. Absolutely no problems with it and has been in service over a year. We replaced a Brother printer that was a PITA from Day 1. Absolutely do not recommend Brother.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:00 am

Me? I'd stick with either Canon or Epson. Not Brother and not sure I'd go HP either.

:)

StraightForward
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby StraightForward » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:56 am

Funny, I had trouble with Canon and have been happy with Brother laser jets.
Keep calm and canter on.

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:26 pm

I'm a huge fan of HP Officejets. Currently I have the 8620. I find the HPs work extremely reliably and are very easy to use the different functions (fax, scanning - including batch feed, copy, printing etc). I really love the Officejet tool. My husband has gotten numerous Canons over the years and we always seem to have issues. Most people in our office have gone away from Epson or Canon to go with HP upon my recommendation and love it. I work wirelessly with mine and my daughter prints the same from her Mac. She did have trouble printing from an Ipad (older mode) but she just now emails what she wants printed to the printer and that works. I can print away from home that way. You just email the printer and it will have the job done when you get home (provided you put enough paper in). I don't find the cartridges all that expensive but I print only in black and white. I rarely print in color. This is my second year owning this printer and I'm still on the original color cartridges. My last HP officejet was in the 4k models. That device lasted at least six years and will still doing what I needed except the roller on the top would not always operate correctly - my fault for pulling out something backwards one time.

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:10 pm

Well, DH came home with the Cannon Pixma and it is up and running in his man-cave ;) So we'll see if it meets expectations. The worst part of getting new equipment is trying to locate a recycling facility that can dispose of the old unit appropriately.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”