Morton's neuroma

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Morton's neuroma

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:13 pm

I have one on my left foot between the 3rd and 4th toes. It's been very quiet until yesterday. Flared up something awful and I could barely walk. Aleve and rest brought down the inflammation and I have an appointment Thursday's with the ortho PA (who I trust and love). I'm hoping she'll give me a cortisone shot and the neuroma will go away. Anyone have condition? My 4th toe feels like it's on fire.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Re: Morton's neuroma

Postby Canyon » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:03 pm

I feel your pain! I thought I had Morton’s neuroma on my left foot. The pain got to the point where I could barely walk. My daughter is a PT; I asked her about my foot when I saw her at Thanksgiving. She did some diagnostics and didn’t think I had a neuroma but needed to get my metatarsals spread out and give them more room. She suggested wearing toe separator socks at night, massaging around and below the ball of my foot, and using a NSAID. Another friend suggested trying Hoka One One shoes. I have worn supportive shoes for years to avoid plantar fasciitis flares, but hey I’d try anything to get rid of the pain and be able to hike again! I ended up with Altra Olympus shoes; they have a wide toe box and feel so good! After using the socks, Naproxen, and the shoes, I can hike four miles now without pain. I guess it is typical for our feet to get wider and need more room as we age - the price of too many birthdays! I'm not sure that any of this is relevant to your foot, Paula, but maybe it will help someone else.

calvin
Herd Member

Postby calvin » Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:46 pm

I have had one in each foot. Diagnosed by way of a block, just like the horses! I was pain free for a blessed 24 hours after each block. So, I had surgery. I have been "nerved" or, more accurately, de-nerved. Miraculous. That was probably 25 years ago. No problems since.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Jan 17, 2017 4:42 am

I had them in both feet, both were quite severe. I had the surgery in 2000 and only wished I had done it sooner. I did the surgeries sequentially. I can run, I can walk barefoot, I can hike, I don't really have to be careful about shoes. The only thing I really hate doing now is getting a pedicure. I can't stand anyone touching my feet because the half de-nerved toes feel really not-painful-but-not-nice-either if you touch them.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:02 pm

I have had them on both feet for more than 20 years. Once, I got the cortizone shot and it stopped the pain for quite a while. Later I went to a doctor about getting the operation, but he wanted to do each foot separately so he could get double insurance payment. :roll: After talking to people who had the surgery, they weren't that happy with it. Besides, I didn't want the down time from riding. I've been retired for a long time, so I just wear shoes that don't jam my toes together. Occasionally, my riding boot will bring an attack. Damn, this is a really painful thing, isn't it.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:57 pm

I don't have a neuroma according to the PA. I have a deep bone bruise, or an early stage stress fracture. We are treating with clogs, ice, and Aleve. Yup, no shoes that jam my toes are best. My winter Ariats really aggrevate it, but what's a rider to wear in the cold????

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:45 pm

FWIW (and no, I don't have a neuroma) but I often will wear men's shoes rather than women's shoes... size down one from what you wear in a ladies shoe (i.e., if you wear a 8 ladies, probably a 7 in mens).

Toe box is usually larger and, in general, the overall size just fits better/roomier. Only down side is if you're going "athletic" shoes, all the cute colors are ladies only :lol:

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Jan 26, 2017 6:17 pm

mountain horse winter paddock boots make my feet happy-- decent toe room!

bits
Herd Member

Postby bits » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:31 am

I've had both feet done about 7 years apart. VERY happy with my surgeries. I stayed awake during both and asked to see the nerve. What should have been the size if a pencil lead, was the size of a small shrimp. No amount of anything was going to get rid of that other than surgery.

I would not have both feet done at once. It is painful for a few days and I can't imagine walking on two hurt feet.

Cortisone shots will help, but will not get rid of the problem.

You need to start wearing shoes with wide shoe box in the toe area. I have dress shoes, but black tennis shoes for work are my style now. Ariat used to make a boot with a wide box. Everyone needs to ask them to bring that style back.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:10 am

Agreed, Mountain Horse winter boots run wide.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”