Can we talk about ankles?

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Can we talk about ankles?

Postby Kathy Johnson » Wed Nov 04, 2015 9:09 pm

Long story short, I sustained the world's most stupid injury to my right ankle, which has chronic sprains anyway. I got the Xray, I got the MRI, but I am waiting for an appointment with a podiatrist. I was trying to get the information from the nurse on the phone, and I don't think I got it all. I have consulted Dr. Google, but need to know what to expect with this kind of injury. So anyone who's gone through this, please help :) I think it will either be rehab then either wellness or surgery OR surgery than rehab, but I don't know. I am doing RICE like the devil. I can bear weight for a couple of hours with minor pain then I RICE. I brace it well when walking.

Here are the MRI results, as I have them:

1. plantar faciitis (I knew I had this but was pretty well over it, so I don't know if it's contributing).
2. tear on the ATFL
3. tear on the CFL
4. split tear on the peroneal tendon
5. synovitis

Thanks for any help,
Kathy

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Re: Can we talk about ankles?

Postby Hoof'n it » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 pm

Interestingly enough, I posted about my ankle injury a few days ago.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=239

Seems like we have similar injuries, and I'm facing surgery, for bone chips and my peroneal tendon split....

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:08 am

No input, just many jingles for you, Kathy, and Hoof'n it.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:52 am

I put my sad tale on Hoof'n It's post. Healing any of these tendons/ligments is a *@tch. I finally had surgery on my right foot after 10 years of farting around and trying to live with it (both peroneal tendons longitudinally torn). It is not that I did nothing. Tried PT, braces, orthotics and ART. Not 100% happy with the outcome of surgery...my gait isn't any better (I over supinated due to the tears and still do but I guess most of that is due to my horribly high and rigid arches) but at least (and very greatful) now no pain and much better stability. I have been fighting tendonitis in both peroneals and a partial tear in the peroneus brevis on the left foot for over a year now :twisted: . Some better but still annoyingly painful. I find walking on uneven ground to be the biggest
instigator...and damn that just is not possible with horses. I have found Vet Wrap works the best (I get the cheap stuff) to wrap it up before I head to the barn.

Susan

Kathy Johnson
Herd Member

Postby Kathy Johnson » Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:08 am

Ah, vet wrap. I have plenty and I will try it. I have high arches too. Yes, walking in the arena sand is hard for me too. I'd rather ride in it :) Thank you!

Hoof'n it
Herd Member

Postby Hoof'n it » Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:25 pm

I did vet wrap originally, but have since found the tubular compression bandage much more helpful for keeping swelling down and strapping tape better support.

My vet wrap supply is now back in the tack room ;)

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:10 am

I usually do athletic tape under the Vet Wrap and it doesn't stretch like the Vet Wrap then do a usual figure eight bandage around the foot and ankle with the VW. Mind you, I am not as torn up as you two girls. I can start out at the barn without pain but boy it doesn't take long to aggravate the offended little tendons. There is also a brace called a Swedo brace that actually fits in my lace up paddock boots. It is a lace up brace with stays on the sides. I have found it doesn't as much as my issue is so low into my foot. For actual ankle issues, it should work better--something else you could try. Amazon has them of course. Amazon is a marvel!

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

texsuze
500 post plus club

Postby texsuze » Mon Nov 09, 2015 4:46 am

Ankles injuries always seem to creep back into your life, just when you think they've either become tolerable or have gone away altogether...
I would suggest consulting with a sports medicine orthopedic doc, and not a podiatrist, IMHO. Hope you can get some good, professional input and that you will be on the mend soon!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”