Myofascial release?

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Myofascial release?

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:49 pm

I have been having a lot of issues with my right arm and neck getting tense and painful, especially during and after riding. Sometimes for a couple days after riding my arm feels strange, I cant quite describe it.
Having a high deductible health care plan, seeing a Dr. is not currently an option.
If I were trying to be anatomically correct, I believe the most pain is coming from the Trapezius muscle. It feels sometimes like its so tight that I have problems loosening up that arm.
I just learned a lady who has her horse in training at the barn does Myofascial release work. It sounds to me like it might help, and I imagine she would be cheaper than a doctors visit. Is it worth a shot? Have you ever tried it?
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: Myofascial release?

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:05 am

I have had both MFR as well as Feldenkrais (a type of body work). I am currently getting ASTYM (instead of the MFR at the suggestion of the PT who was doing MFR).

Do you have any scar tissue or anything associated with that muscle?

You might want to look for a Feldenkrais practitioner www.feldenkrais.com as an option. Might be less expensive and body work may be what would do the trick for you.

FWIW, T-Touch for horses was based on Feldenkrais :)

Ike
Greenie

Postby Ike » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:03 am

Myofascial release is good. I would also look for someone(generally a PT or chiropractor) that does ART (active release technique) and Graston (also called IASTM Instrument AssistedSoft Tissue Mobilization). Those treatments, along with dry needling) keep my body together through the beatings I put it through with crossfit, endurance training, and riding

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:24 pm

To my knowledge, nothing associated with this muscle. It started having some problems maybe a year and a half to two years ago. I went and saw a chiropractor (probably should go again) and the funny feeling in my arm got better. It has since returned, and the muscle has continued to stay tight. Sometimes I feel like its hard to turn my head very far to the left. I've had bad posture for a long time, and I've been trying so hard to bring my head and shoulders back like they should be, but it feels so tight its almost impossible sometimes.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:38 pm

PhoenixRising, as part of your exploration, I'd be trying to discover why that muscle does feel tight. That was part of my suggestion for body work vs MFR or ASTM (I had it spelled incorrectly).

PT maybe can help. My PT does both MFR along with ASTM (yes, I guess it is IASTM but he just called it ASTM). I use it to work on extensive scar tissue I have from numerous surgeries over the many years.

If you do Feldenkrais, my recommendation is use a certified Practitioner (as found on their web site). Another bodywork technique would be Alexander. I am wondering if you have some sort of "imbalance" that bodywork could address.

I am personally not overly fond of chiro but that's just me. I'd look for bodywork over chiro any day.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”