The Little Red Barn Has TWO Occupants! 4-6-16 photo

exploding pony
Novice

Re: The Little Red Barn Has TWO Occupants! 4-4-16 UPDATE

Postby exploding pony » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:58 pm

So my QH is normally entirely behind the leg and lazy.

But he has a bolt button and it's like a car commercial - 0 to 60 in under 5 seconds. I've had all sorts of horses over the years but when the little orange QH takes off he is stronger and faster than anything I've ever ridden. Luckily, he doesn't do it often and he doesn't buck while he's doing it :lol:

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:16 pm

So you know my Billy was the most perfect horse ever, but I had a quarter horse named Buck who passed away in October, 2008 at the age of 35.5 and in his younger days no one could beat his take off! He threw dirt over the top of the barn and on the side of the barn. I never cleaned the stain off because I still love looking at it.

I love seeing you enjoy your horses so much.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:44 pm

Oh Exploding Pony, that is exactly what I hope I never see…that speed without a direct request from a human! :shock:

It was windy here over night and this AM. And cooler than it has been. Translation…prancing ponies. When I went out to feed, the boys were not in their usual waiting spot in the corner. Fergus was in the process of moseying that way when he heard the garage door open, and I called out a "good morning" as I headed down the driveway. But no Dallas. Then, Ferg froze, got tall, and a red blur came whizzing along beside him from out of my line of sight. The whizzing turned into Tigger-like bouncing from the redhead, which made Fergus bounce just a bit. Ferg's bouncing made the red blur restart…lather, rinse, repeat. There was some collected trot and a little passage from Fergus, and more animation than that from Dallas. As I walked out in my PJs and mud boots, I really hoped for good brains to prevail. Dallas had a bit more guts than usual, crossing Ferg's invisible line in the sand when getting into formation to wait for the arrival of the food, which was met with some spinning and hopping in addition to the usual stand-along grumpy face from Herd Leader. Again, knowing Fergus so well, I had no concerns about how he'd act once I was in the pasture with him, but the snorty red dragon-pony was a new experience during feeding time.

I am happy to report that despite wider eyes, and continual snorts, and a tense body that seemed to be waiting to GO, Dallas followed the routine just like every other morning, waiting at the gate to the adjoining pen where I put him to eat (we still haven't transitioned to eating all meals in stalls, and with the high energy level this AM, I didn't think it was a good time to change up the routine on them). He didn't get restless or paw or push at the gates. He didn't try to go over or through me. He barely imposed on my personal space as compared to most mornings, but it was by like an inch, when the gate was between us. I made him back up a step, and wait until I opened the gate in my time (after meals were finished), and he walked calmly back into the barnyard for the hay buffet with Fergus. I left them extra hay piles to try to distract them while I was at work…has stayed crazy windy and still cool.

Fergus is without question "my kind of horse"…crazy big presence, a bit haughty, super smart, quite a mover, but an energy conserver. He is a thinking ride…get it right and you're all set. But it takes time to get it right. He has done some really big and somewhat scary things when annoyed or scared himself, but that is not his default setting. He bolted on me once in 16 years, when he was 4 years old and people were not thinking and started playing with a crowd control ball in the paddock that overlooked the arena…about 15 feet overhead. The ball got away from them and rolled to the fence line over the arena…I didn't even know they were up there. The ball came up from behind Ferg's butt, as well as overhead. From what I recall, one second we were calmly walking along, and the next he was literally stretched out in a gallop and I had somehow not rolled off his butt nor gotten whiplash. We went from one end of a huge arena to the far end before it even registered what was happening. I asked him to stop but prepared to take a 3' jump (the arena fence) together in case he didn't. He stopped. We turned. He snorted and pranced. My trainer handed the other folks their butts for not using their heads. A lesson student gave me quite an ego boost describing what it looked like from the ground. :shock: Dallas is not like Fergus. He has way more go than it first appeared, but he really does seem to be very smart and not one whose brain shuts down when adrenaline kicks in…it will be a VERY different experience than I am used to, and is admittedly a bit outside my comfort zone these days. 25 years ago, sure. Now, will take some time to trust that I can still do this. 8-)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Apr 05, 2016 6:47 pm

Rockabilly, reading your reply triggered a memory. I re-pictured Dallas' runs. We had red clay here and it was dry that day. Clods of dirt did go flying in a few directions when he took off!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: The Little Red Barn Has TWO Occupants! 4-6-15 photo

Postby fergusnc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:48 am

So last night Fergus decided he was OK with Dallas sharing his 'salad'....I guess he officially approves of his little buddy sticking around. :D :D :D :D
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (252.96 KiB) Viewed 4375 times

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”