Retaining old washing machine/dryer for horse/dog stuff

Alex
Herd Member

Retaining old washing machine/dryer for horse/dog stuff

Postby Alex » Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:18 pm

This seems to be the month for washer and drier questions. I'm curious if I'd be foolish to retain our old washer/dryer for dog and horse use. The old dryer has limited cycles and tends to work best drying very, very hot. The washer's agitator always grabs delicate clothing and chews it up. But I would never use a NEW washer and dryer for horse blankets and saddle pads or dog beds... So, if I take the plunge, I'll either be faced w/a more crowded laundry room or I'll be sending the old washer/dryer off to either someone's cabin or to the recycling center. I guess I'm most concerned w/wandering into the laundry and having it look like a LAUNDROMAT!@$!#$!#! What would you do?

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Retaining old washing machine/dryer for horse/dog stuff

Postby Moutaineer » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:08 pm

I have a second set down in my basement for horse stuff. It wasn't very old, but wasn't going to fit into my new laundry room when we did the remodel a few years ago. It is very useful. I don't use the dryer much, though.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:23 pm

If you have room for it, and the hook ups, I say go for it.

Fatcat
Herd Member

Postby Fatcat » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:27 pm

We did just this. When we bought our house it came with a FLwasher which I didn't want. We moved it out to the shop, ran a cold water hookup to it, (I never wash horse blankies in warm or hot), and drain it outside to the ground. I've been so glad I did, that when that washer gives up, I've decided I'll have to replace it with something else as I depend on it so much!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:50 am

When we did all the work at The Fixer Upper Farm, we had the plumber put a W/D hookup in the garage because the seller left us a set that was in very good working order. That is our pet laundry now, and it's great having it. But not sure if I'd do it if I had had concerns about how well the older appliances would treat my stuff.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”