Dallas the Rescue Pony...8-6-16 photos and updates

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Dallas the Rescue Pony...8-6-16 photos and updates

Postby fergusnc » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:39 am

I admit it. I am madly, completely, in love with this pony. I wasn't sure it was possible to be this smitten with a second horse with how irrationally I love Fergus, my partner of 16+years...especially since Dallas was a bit guarded with new people. I knew I'd love him. I knew I'd do everything I possibly could for him in all areas. But I wasn't sure how he'd feel about me, which might affect how close I could feel to him. However, I am head over heels for the cheeky red pony.

He and Fergus have been tight since the get go….not call for each other, neurotically obsessed type of attached…just two "bros" who really know their role in the relationship. When I separate them in paddocks or stalls out of eye sight, there are no antics….but when they are put back together, they are glad for it. The other day, Dallas had his first visit with the vet….for which, he was a ROCK STAR btw…and Fergus was in a second paddock while Dallas was in his stall for dental process. When it was all done and Dallas was snoozing, Fergus was at the gate, doing the horse equivalent of clearing his throat and muttering excuse me, trying to have his turn to say hello to his "auntie"…his vet that he adores. After allowing him back in the barnyard for a visit, he went straight to Dallas' stall, gently sniffed Dallas' face and mouth, and then settled in…his nose about 1" from Dallas' nose, not moving until Dallas was awake enough to move around his stall….then Fergus wandered off to graze until I turned Dallas back out.

It hasn't been without a few learning curves, but all is progressing quite well. We are going very slowly, which works out well since we are still so busy trying to fence more areas and make more progress in the barn. The lack of trust and connection was obvious, but he never did anything threatening to me…perhaps because i have been very cautious of the fact that I don't really know him yet, and that I don't know him like I know my horse of 16+ years…perhaps because he just wouldn't act that way to anyone ever. There are some physical issues, nothing huge that we know of, but things that need to be investigated so we can support him. We have started having massage done, and that is a story for another night, but our first session was an experience I have never had with a horse and it was incredible. Very intense emotionally. Within about 36 hours of that appointment, things really improved. He was much more willing to seek out the new humans around him, and we started to see his personality with humans. Little things like him offering his back feet for hoof cleaning, or putting his nose into the halter, make me laugh with happiness. Believe it or not, that marks some big progress. ;)

He is energetic and curious. He often trots where he is headed, as opposed to ambling like fergus. When the neighbors' cows get sent out, he trots over to stare at them, every time…even though it happens every day. He isn't scared. Its like a kid who catches sight of the ice cream man…its an automatic reaction to yell "ICE CREAM MAAAAAAN" but for dallas, I think he is yelling, "THE COWWWWWSSSSS"!

I really did try to get some cleaned up conformation photos while I had him on a lead line, but he has it in his head that once on line, he is to go everywhere you go, and leaving more than 2 or 3 feet between us is not proper behavior, lol. But the attempts made me laugh and thought would give you an idea of his outlook. And I threw in a couple grazing ones just to appease the photo junkies.

Two things to watch, and wouldn't mind some positive vibes from you jinglers….he has some pink tissue in the corners of both eyes that the vets says I must always monitor very closely for any change or invasion further into his eyeball…that sarcoids are of concern. And he must wear his fly mask year round during sunlight hours, as sun can cause benign tissue to become sarcoid. The other issue is an EPM test that was given at the rescue without any signs of symptoms…just something they do. He was positive on two of the three measures, but very low and could be due from a recent exposure that caused antibody formation but was not an infection. We did a neuro exam and saw nothing seemingly neurological…some musculoskeletal history/issues, but no blatant neuro. We will recheck his numbers at the vet's next visit just to be thorough, expecting them to drop if it was just a reaction to an exposure, but he does not present like an EPM horse. However, neither did Fergus at first, so I remain cautiously optimistic and refuse to borrow trouble. 8-)
Attachments
Dallas43.jpg
Dallas43.jpg (176.75 KiB) Viewed 25056 times
Dallas44.jpg
Dallas44.jpg (150.92 KiB) Viewed 25056 times
Dallas40.jpg
Dallas40.jpg (192.15 KiB) Viewed 25056 times
Last edited by fergusnc on Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony Update…and photo attempts

Postby Chisamba » Fri Apr 22, 2016 1:59 am

jingles for Dallas the rescue pony, that his eyes remain healthy and that the EPM is one of those false positives

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:07 pm

He is very cute and I love the way you write about them both. It makes me smile. Have you heard about the Guardian mask? It has UV filters over the eyes like sun glasses.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:38 pm

I love a red pony. Congratulations on the progress you have made together.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:55 pm

Dallas reminds me so much of my friend's old QH, who is gone now, but in his day, he was something else. She trail rode him and did gymkhana type stuff with him. Dang, he was fast. And as he got older he became the darling of her friend's little kids, and took care of them.

He lived to be well into his 30s. I can't for the life of me remember his registered name, though. Such a great little horse.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:58 pm

Thanks all! I appreciate the kind word and the interest in the journey. I am a happy girl. 8-)

Leo, I hadn't heard of that mask...was going to do some research on whether his Cashel Quiet Ride had any UV protection and have been perpetually taken off task by thing after thing. :? But I will look for that one!

Kelo, I was actually trying to get conformation shots for YOU to see, and thought I'd give it a go solo, and it was really laughable the whole attempt. The first photo pretty much sums it up. :D

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:26 pm

Everyone should be so fortunate as to have a little chestnut horse in their life...

Our version, Lucky, is now 31, also always in your face, "helping" with every project. He was the perfect do-everything, go-everywhere utility horse in his prime.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:14 pm

Wonderful post, Fergus. I can't wait to hear the massage story.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:24 pm

I love how you love them and of course I love your stories.

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:44 pm

One of my guys has a chronic eye issue and he pretty much lives in his fly mask year round. About the only time he goes without is in the winter, when there is absolutely no wind. I even ride him in a fly mask on windy days.

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:16 am

I love Dallas. I have had a couple of sorrels that look a lot like him and have had the pink area on the eyes too. Since they were mother and daughter I figured it was hereditary. The vets just said it was fine and to watch it. Never masked them or anything. The older one lived to be 29 without any eye issues and her daughter is 11 without any issues. Sounds like Dallas is very lucky to have landed in such a wonderful, loving home. Thanks for saving him!
Attachments
10968456_813034375399314_1595257518378042942_n.jpg
10968456_813034375399314_1595257518378042942_n.jpg (111.19 KiB) Viewed 24935 times

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:29 am

I would post a photo of this mare's daughter but it keeps saying photo too large and I've done everything I know to reduce the size :/. Ah! Got it this time.
Attachments
20140412_001800.jpg
20140412_001800.jpg (69.06 KiB) Viewed 24932 times

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Sat Apr 23, 2016 3:36 am

Wow! I just looked back at Dallas's blaze, Dallas and Ditto could be twins!
Attachments
20140411_235057.jpg
20140411_235057.jpg (53.87 KiB) Viewed 24931 times

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony Update 4-25-16

Postby fergusnc » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:07 pm

So, M&M, the massage story...sorry, it's a long one.

I have an extremely talented and dedicated massage therapist/body work practitioner who has impressed the heck out of me when working on Fergus. Her pursuit of continued professional growth is mind blowing...the things she has participated in...just wow. Fergus loves his chiropractor and his acupuncture vet, but previously an attempt at massage therapy almost got the original person run down and put through a wall. She was not harmed in any way as he never actually made contact, but boy did Fergus hate the experience and tred so hard to get her to leave by being scary and threatening....not like him...it obvious did not feel good. It's been many years but I think I pulled the plug on it very early in the session, paid the lady, and said thanks anyway.
So, after his last EPM treatment, when the vet found lots of muscle soreness, and she suggested adding massage, I was not holding out much hope that it would work for him.

I called around, and was told by many that there was someone I had to try...I was willing to give it one more go, but was very honest with her about the previous experience. Don't worry, she told me, I think I understand what happened and I have some ideas of what your horse might need....I have several clients who suffered from EPM. When she arrived, she responded very well to Fergus' "who the heck are you and why are you here" greeting, and their session was slow, methodical, and just amazing. For her second visit, he greeted her as he does anyone on his "team" which is a ringing endorsement for me. Over the last couple of years, she has blown me away picking up things others never mentioned/recognized, and has really helped us through the "downs". She is very holistic, and is trained/certified is many techniques and methods, and she just uses them as she sees the horse needs. As touchy freely as I am, some stuff is beyond the science side of me, but I have seen the horses' reactions and they don't fake things or fall for placebo effects IMHO.

So, I couldn't wait for her to meet Dallas. I knew she'd find come physical things, to what extent I had no idea. I assumed he'd benefit from some emotional mojo, as he seemed a little shut down and insecure, and he was more spooky than I'd expected. This lady arrived, so excited to work on him. We stood in the bigger barnyard area, watching the boys in the smaller, attached paddock area I'd made by expanding with roundpen panels. I filled her in on my experiences and observations, and she watched him move around and told me what she saw physically. All of a sudden, he spooked, spun 180* and took off....ran out of the smaller space, back into the barnyard, made a hard left turn, started in our direction, I swear he saw us, and he zoned in on us and came AT us. I really didn't know him yet, but this seemed very unlike him. I stepped into his space, threw up my arms, used my big voice to tell him that we don't act that that here, and he snapped out of it....veered off and went straight back to the smaller paddock. It rattled me a bit to be honest.

I could tell that our visitor was taking it all in, and she "felt" very different to me than when she comes to work on Fergus. She asked that we work on Dallas in an open space, on a lead, versus in a stall or grooming area like we do with Ferg. As she worked on Dallas, it was as if he was holding his breath....like it was just a lot for him to take in. she talked to me to sort of narrate her thoughts, and she went very slowly and kept trying different techniques. She said he had so much going on emotionally that she didn't think she'd do too much that first day to get after the physical. Needed to build trust. Said he was so closed off that too much could blow his mind. Keep in mind, at the rescue where demands were next to none, he came across as an easy fellow, but I could see trust and relationships were a thing for him and he'd fake it...I saw that before he even came home. I also saw, and continue to see, some attitude. What I was seeing and feeling....for lack of a better word...as she worked on him was discomfort. He was tolerating. I wouldn't even say he was trying to be good, as it seemed more like he was afraid of repercussions should he react. This went on for awhile, he never moved, we kept trying to be encouraging and calming.

Along the way, she must have switched techniques somehow, or done something differently, and his breathing changed...I have never heard sounds like this, and I felt a physical tightness in my chest worse with each sound he made....and though he wasn't moving, I "felt" like I was shaking like a leaf. I realized I had tears in my eyes....very confusing and odd. I jokingly asked her if she had ever made an owner cry before during a session. She didn't look up, but said in knowing way, "so, you feel that." and I found that tears were streaming down my face. When I said yes, she looked up and I saw she had tears in her eyes. At this point, I actually sobbed a little and all that I found myself saying was "Dallas I am so so sorry....I'm so sorry." Over and over. Now I am a big sap, and I believe there are a lot of things beyond the cut and dried, but this was really new, different and confusing to me. As she continued to work, she tried to talk to me too and kept saying "that is not you. Those are not your feelings. You have to let them go. Do not let yourself hold onto them...it's bad for you and for Dallas." I had no real idea what that meant but I did my best, and it passed in about a minute that felt like 30. At some point she stepped back and let out some deep breaths. Dallas sighed all the way down to his toes and so did I. I told her that was one of the most horrible feelings I had ever had and if that was what happened to her, how the hell did her heart not break? She told me Dallas was one of, if not the, most intense experiences of her career, and that it did break her heart but you couldn't hang onto it. She said "it"....whatever that means...was "rolling off of him like waves and I couldn't even keep up, it just kept coming...it felt like being knocked around in the ocean and not being able to get your feet underneath you." From what she said, I guess the theory is that it relates to whatever has happened to Dallas before...that horses can have "cellular memories" of stress and pain and fear and anxiety that can store up. They don't remember the events or dwell on them, but their body remembers it's reaction maybe? It made me sad how much he must have hidden or buried, as he seemed so "calm" on the surface in his daily life where nothing really changed and no demands or expectations were placed on him.

She warned me he might act differently for a bit, as his body would feel different and he'd be trying to sort things out. She was able to work a bit on some muscular issues in his back and hind end, but a lot will still have to happen there. (The vet pointed it out too, the following week when she came for his check up.). For about 24 hours, Dallas was a little all over the place. Fergus had to reprimand him more, and the next morning Dallas actually had two kick marks on his rump....no signs of any need for that in the two weeks prior to the appointment. Fergus wouldn't let Dallas near him as he'd done previously, and didn't want him near me all of a sudden. At about 36 hours post appointment, I noticed things were fine between the boys again. And Dallas would come to the fence to say hi to humans...any humans...at all opportunities. He'd leave his hay to say hi, and he started following me around the pasture when I cleaned up poop. All of a sudden, he and Fergus were sharing hay piles, despite there being several out there. And they started mutually grooming....my big herd leader has done that with MAYBE two other horses in 16+ years. Dallas started being much more agreeable about haltering, grooming and fly masks. I didn't feel like he was so defensive anymore....and I found myself, while still being safe and aware around a 'strange' horse, not getting that challenge vibe from him anymore. Before the appointment, hind feet were pretty demonstrative for picking out...36 hours later, much quieter...and as of the last 5 days or so, he is offering all four feet to me at times.

I told a friend about the tears and she said she'd seen that once in a bodywork clinic with an owner and a rescue horse. Said the two of them went on to have some crazy close, really cool relationship. Maybe it was coincidence and the owner is a super gifted horse person. Maybe it's mojo plus horse skills. Who knows. But it made me feel better that I wasn't the only sap out there. :lol:

We should have another appointment this week. I am very curious to see his reaction and see how receptive he is.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:37 pm

It's like Dallas let you "in". I know that feeling and it does bring tears.

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:05 am

Wow! They can tell us so much if we just know how to listen. What an incredible experience.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Apr 26, 2016 11:54 am

Yes, it was completely incredible. I am really close to Fergus, and am very intuitive about all my pets' goins-on I'd say, but this was a first. It still chokes me up to "talk" about it. Very powerful. Pretty "out there", I admit, but so cool.

The other interesting thing….for 95% of the session, Fergus stood at the gate to the round pen (not odd, he wanted to be near his friend)…and as the work progressed, Fergus got more and more and more relaxed, to the point of closed eyes and a droopy monkey lip. He sighed and sighed in relaxation. It was like a "contact high" for him. He was all the way across the pasture when we started, and then there he was at the gate. He didn't leave for over an hour, and not until we were almost done. The massage person told me a name for the concept…i forget what it is…and that Fergus was getting a big benefit but that Dallas was also feeling Fergus' influence…again makes sense with buddies….but Ferg's physical reaction was literally the same and as extensive as when her hands were on him in his sessions. It was a B1G1 free type deal for my check book…added bonus! :D :lol:

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:27 pm

I think that experiences like this, if we're lucky enough to have them, change us in ways we might not even realize at first. Very powerful stuff.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony Update 5-2-16

Postby fergusnc » Mon May 02, 2016 8:41 pm

Little things, but good things that make me proud of The Little Red Pony Who Lives In The Little Red Barn. :D

Fly spray...so afraid and reactive, so I filled an extra spray bottle with water and was prepared to use the slow and steady, don't stop gently spraying til they have settled technique. But I just had a feeling that Dallas would have a lot of staying power and I didn't want to be a cause of stress. So I kept a stack of paper towels with the fly spray, saturated them and wiped him down. That went fine. Re-wetting the towels made him fidget and move, even just hearing the sound of the bottle. We worked to the point where I could re-wet the towels, sporadically letting light spray touch his body, and as of yesterday, I was able to spray directly on a few places of his body with no reaction...and a few places that made him scoot away. Slow and steady is fine with me.

The farrier was out to trim the boys last week, and a couple of years ago he was actually the farrier for the rescue group from where Dallas came. (The first time he came to trim Dallas at my house, I was in bed sick with the flu so we hadn't had the chance to chat about Dallas yet). I asked if/what he remembered of Dallas, and he told me that he was one of a handful that had always needed to be sedated for hoof care (before him that is...that he didn't want the horses to have to be done that way and he worked with them as they needed so that drugs weren't necessary). Dallas is still reactive with back feet but not dangerously. Apparently he is much much much better than years ago. He was even better last week than five weeks earlier for the farrier's first visit.

Dallas' personality continues to come out, and he is a funny guy who has his own logic. He is very curious and is quick to come to me and/or follow me around the barnyard during my chores. He and Fergus are really entertaining to watch. I don't know who taught Dallas this, as the rescue had a strict "no treats policy" due to so many horses with special needs, but Dallas is almost as gentle for treats as Fergus (who I taught to be crazy gentle about hand feeding once I allowed treats by hand)....it makes me a little sad...who loved him and when, and how did he end up with people who starved him by the time he was seven years old?

I was just finishing up some paperwork at home today and a horrible storm blew in. Hail, blowing wind, rain so hard you could barely see across the farm. The boys were flipping out a bit, not going into the barn as they could have. They ran into a corner of the pasture with the wind blowing the rain literally sideways, bending trees. At first, they were very antsy, jumping and moving, and there was nothing I could do from the house. But as I watched, I saw how Dallas seemed to be trying to run out of the tree-surrounded corner, and I didn't understand why they weren't running to the barn. I finally figured out that Fergus was actually blocking Dallas, and edging him further and further into the corner until he stood over him, sort of curving his big body around the pony, and arching his neck over the top of Dallas. Once he had him in that position, they didn't move, despite hail and whipping winds and lightening. I haven't ever had the opportunity to watch horses out in bad storms before, but wondered if this was part of Fergus' tried and true herd leader personality....or does he just love his pony a crazy amount? Later, when the storm quieted to just heavy rain, they made their way into The Little Red Barn and waited it out for a bit.

The vet will be back in three weeks to pull blood to redo the EPM test. We have had to reschedule the massage/body work person twice since our only visit due to storms. She was supposed to come today in fact unfortunately. So reschedule #3 is set for Friday.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed May 04, 2016 4:42 pm

I think there's another book in the making...

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed May 04, 2016 5:20 pm

:-)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony Update 5-16-16

Postby fergusnc » Mon May 16, 2016 7:01 pm

Dallas has had two additional bodywork/massage sessions. Session #2 was hard to describe…very draining for me, not fun, not anything ike his first session nor like any sessions with Fergus. I went up to the house afterwards and I just felt yucky. Irritable, didn't want to be around anything living. Just out of sorts. So friggin' exhausted that I wanted to go to sleep at 6pm. It all passed in a couple hours…I felt like myself again. I talked with our bodywork person several times before session number three, told her about it. She reiterated that i was soaking things up from Dallas and not letting them go, which is apparently a very big no-no. She told me that session #2 was very challenging for her as well---physically and emotionally fatiguing. We talked out some thoughts….her from her expertise, me from the perspective of his human. Our person also reached out to some of her instructors before session #3 and got more feedback about how things had gone in session #2. Apparently Dallas is pretty much the most involved case so far as far as needing to be flexible with methods and plans and time.

Session #3 added essential oils. New to me, completely. The oils didn't go on him…they were used I guess like aromatherapy….he was allowed to smell them or not, and we watched what he did. She brought 3 with her….she didn't tell me what they were at first and I didn't ask, I just watched. The first, no real reaction, maybe a little sleepier face. The second, he couldn't get enough of…he literally followed the vial anywhere and everywhere she went with it…it was like a dog following a steak on a plate! The third, he was really interested, then would turn his head all the way away without moving his feet….she wouldn't move…he'd turn back to sniff it like he really wanted it, then would turn away again. I said something like "he seems to like it, but not always" and she said "I don't think he likes it, but he's figuring out he needs it". She did massage and bodywork on him afterwards, and he was so so so good….still unsure at times, not willing to let her work certain places, but much more familiar in reactions and such…still a long way to go but much improved in how he handles the work. Also much more connected to her, friendly and showed more of the personality I get to see. Afterwards I asked her about the oils, if she could tell me what they were…i was expecting the name of a smell but they are names like titles almost. I forget the name of the one that he really didn't react to. The one he LOVED had to do with bravery and strength. The one he "was figuring out he needed" had to do with overcoming trauma. All very interesting. Apparently there is another one she wants to try next time.

Yesterday during a break from fencing, I dragged a 3-step, black mounting block into the pasture with them. It made me feel like I was that much closer to making time to ride, lol. Dallas trotted at that block from the far side of the pasture, just as interested as he could be….immediately stuck his nose on it and pushed it around. I put a halter on him and climbed up on the block, asking him to reposition himself here and there around me while I was up there, rubbing him all over, leaning on him, tossing the lead rope around. He was so good. When I grabbed Fergus to mess around with him a little bit, Dallas just stood and watched, creeping closer now and then. i think he is one who just really enjoys life most when he is involved in something….probably anything. 8-) As opposed to Ferg, who probably saw that mounting block and thought "Oh hell, again with this riding stuff?!" :roll:

I am pretty sure blankets are unfamiliar to Dallas, but when I finally got around to seeing if the one I ordered fit (it didn't), I had DH hold him while I gave it a go. So as I talk non-horsey DH into how to react/not react and intervene/not intervene while I kept track of Dallas' responses, that pony just stood there…I think he thought we were nuts, and he had no idea what was going on, but he didn't take 1 step.

KennaLea
Greenie

Postby KennaLea » Wed May 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Love reading your updates!! Thanks for letting us into your life. :-)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed May 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for wanting to hear the updates! :-)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony…more pix 5-29-16

Postby fergusnc » Sun May 29, 2016 6:17 pm

The rescue asked for some photos to add to the happy endings part of their site. Bad lighting, in between rain showers, but I hear you can never add enough pony photos to thread around here? :lol:

Dallas is still doing well, still a perfect side kick for Fergus. He is doing better and better with his massage sessions, and getting much more trusting of the interventions. I am thinking that by the next time Fergus has a chiropractor visit, Dallas will be ready for an evaluation. Dallas visited with the chiro's hubby during Ferg's session on Friday, and it was sweet to see how relaxed he was with a stranger petting his face and playing with his forelock (sort of an off limits zone just a couple months ago). Just this morning I had a bit of an epiphany moment with him during fly spraying…time for higher expectations and less allowances for learning curve, and he handled it beautifully. Pony push back, a bit of sass that required a stern voice and some "eh EH!" sounds from me, but he let this exasperated, well-adjusted sigh of "Well, crap, FINE." and then stood like a rock and had a nice calm face when we were all done.

ETA…wellness blood work pulled early this past week was all normal..yay! EPM recheck blood work results will be in next week…jingling for good numbers that reinforce that the first results were just indicative of an exposure and not an infection. Vet tad me she had been up at the rescue recently and when the founder asked her about how Dallas was doing, she told her that no pony that left the rescue's farm has ever been as loved as Dallas. :D The vet also told me that the found talks about me like I am one step below the Lord himself, so I guess they are still happy with this placement. 8-)
Attachments
Dallas52.jpg
Dallas52.jpg (168.66 KiB) Viewed 24476 times
Dallas51.jpg
Dallas51.jpg (129.77 KiB) Viewed 24476 times
Dallas50.jpg
Dallas50.jpg (156.74 KiB) Viewed 24476 times
Last edited by fergusnc on Sun May 29, 2016 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Sun May 29, 2016 6:20 pm

And one more that didn't fit in the last post…and to illustrate that the side kick relationship is alive and well and these two are an absolute perfect pair. It's hard to get good photos of them together when they are free-range, but this was from siesta time, and I just couldn't pass up the contrasting booty shot! :lol:
Attachments
Dallas53.jpg
Dallas53.jpg (155.98 KiB) Viewed 24475 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sun May 29, 2016 7:18 pm

Yep, no such thing as too many pony pics. Thank you for sharing this wonderful story.

demi

Postby demi » Sun May 29, 2016 8:31 pm

I come to this thread to get my heart warmed. I love your boys.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon May 30, 2016 12:33 pm

Thank you for wanting to hear about them!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony…Starting EPM Treatment Dang It.

Postby fergusnc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Vet and I were really expecting the follow up blood work to show resolved "numbers" but 1 of the 3 actually increased, putting all three measures in the positive range. He doesn't have any classic neuro symptoms, and I don't know him well enough to know what is normal quirks or warning signs like I do for Fergus...but there are a couple things that I have been paying attention to and been wondering about. So, for piece of mind, we will treat.

Also looks like the poor pony needs additional worming, so handling that as well.

Still madly in love. :D :D :D

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:29 pm

I'm sorry to hear that Dallas needs EPM treatment. Jingles for you and your herd.

Is EPM very common in NC now?

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Thu Jun 02, 2016 3:50 pm

Seems to be. I know lots of ppl who have had to treat horses...for it will now be 2/2 of my boys. Not always 100% since people don't want to do the spinal tap for foolproof diagnosis...but then again, my vet had a client with a negative spinal tap but was found to be positive when they unfortunately had to do a necropsy.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony...6/5/16 more pix

Postby fergusnc » Mon Jun 06, 2016 12:30 am

Restarting from the ground up in order to uncover the training holes sooner versus later...in other words, trying to stack the odds in my favor. 8-)
Wearing big brother's clothes...the oversized dressage pads are definitely not going to cut it for the long haul. :lol:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (227.77 KiB) Viewed 24270 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (175.36 KiB) Viewed 24270 times

LeoApp
Herd Member

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony...6/5/16 more pix

Postby LeoApp » Mon Jun 06, 2016 11:33 pm

oh he is so cute I just want to eat him up!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony...7-18-16 photos

Postby fergusnc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:08 pm

Since updates are useless without photos, was waiting to get some from a friend's visit the other week. Wow, it's hard to get good horse photos in general, but extra tricky with a non-horsey person holding the camera. I thought these could at least show his cuteness, and maybe some physical changes if there are any...hard for me to tell seeing him every day and him not being in work.

The EPM meds are done, though I am not sure he had it and thus not sure if it's gone. ;) We will probably do the follow up blood test to check numbers just to put a bow on it. His bodywork continues, and as he opens up to it, we find physical and emotional issues hiding within his body. I am now wondering if Fourth of July pushed him over the edge a little, as he was showing some subtle ouchy tummy symptoms, and then the acupuncture points for ulcers were all positive/reactive/whatever the terminology is. Not saying he has a true ulcer but he had some discomfort. There was noticeable improvement the day after his session, increasing improvements for the following three days to the point of slight signs disappearing. I also added aloe Vera juice back into daily meals.

It's been so blasted hot that not much has happened in the way of restarting, but every moment I am near him I use to help him learn rules and expectations. We had a bit of a scary moment when it became very clear that he did not fully understand personal space, so that has been our focus. And he has caught on with lightening speed.

I have seen a lot of his wariness go away, progressing from insecurities and some acting out with strangers to him enjoying new people coming along.

i don't think I can fit all the photos in one reply, so may be some overflow. I am also adding in a couple photos of Fergus just because they made me smile. He is so very happy at home, back to his for-the-most-part mellow self, ruling the roost with Dallas, feeling very secure. It make my heart happy.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (203.57 KiB) Viewed 24012 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.2 KiB) Viewed 24012 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (165.44 KiB) Viewed 24012 times

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:10 pm

More Dallas, including him napping during the photo shoot! Oh, my heart just flutters for him sometimes. :oops:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (210.8 KiB) Viewed 24012 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (169.81 KiB) Viewed 24012 times

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:11 pm

And Mr. Fergus...my big squish. 8-)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (105.14 KiB) Viewed 24012 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (194.55 KiB) Viewed 24012 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (125.3 KiB) Viewed 24012 times

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:12 pm

And this sums up Fergus' feelings about the hot weather, and yet more photos being taken. :lol:
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (166.07 KiB) Viewed 24012 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:20 pm

I love red ponies. And Fergus' "I'm done with this" face.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:22 pm

His cuteness is showing and so is his sweetness. I really like him.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:40 pm

The last time the body work person was here, I was telling her about my mental state due to some real challenges with trying to get my 17 year old cat's recent medical challenges figured out. I was exhausted, sad, frustrated, unsure, you name it. I was leaning back against Dallas' stall door, my back to the stall, as I told her. I started crying and she hugged me. As I leaned away from her, Dallas stuck his head out of his stall and rested his muzzle on top of my head while I cried and talked a little more. He kept touching my head, my shoulder, very gently, like he was letting me know he was there. I turned to face him and said, "yes, like I was telling you earlier, I am sad." And he rested his face against my forehead. It about did me in. He had never, and has not since, done anything like that.
At the end of the session, I asked the body work person if she had any new thoughts about Dallas (as far as insights, gut feelings, thoughts going forward, etc). She laughed and said, "my thoughts are that he is even cooler than I originally thought when I met him...I thought he was cool from the beginning, but he is waaaay cool. And so much fun."
:D :D :D

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:11 pm

See, they all have fabulous personalities. They just need to find their way out. I could tell you a story about Leo, but it would be long and let me just say he is not the same horse at all who came here a few years ago. With love and care they grow into their true selves.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Oh he is adorable! Hope he continues to feel good. Thanks for sharing!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:44 am

Somehow I missed the original massage story, and the updates in the meantime.

Your/Dallas's story touches my heart very deeply. I get it about you absorbing his emotions. I am so glad you have such gifted people on your team.

And, Fergus? I think I'm a little bit in love with you!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri Jul 22, 2016 3:56 pm

M&M...Fergus is just the coolest, he really is. He is 1550 pounds and 17hh of awesome. He can be super mellow or really animated. He is a true herd leader with other horses, and also a benevolent ruler. He likes just hanging out with you, taking it all in. He expects people to adore him, but doesn't lower himself to demand it. People that look at horses as their job only (stall cleaners, farm chores, etc), and never really show affection to any of the horses, have been found in his stall telling him about their day. When at the vet school, he had staff absolutely wrapped around his finger...one confessed to running from one far ended of the barn to the other, calling out "I am coming Fergus!!!!!!" every morning when he bellowed upon hearing the office doors open and pre-rounds ending. He protects the underdogs in his herds, he protects little children from horses with less than stellar manners as they try to catch their lesson pony, and he does everything in his power to avoid even the slightest bump into me even during the biggest startle or spook. He has literally gotten in front of me more than once to keep a horse from running me down, and kept moving so that he could stay between us when the horse didn't give up on trying to get me. When he was a 2 year old and not yet a herd leader, he ran to get between a kitten and the herd leader who was trying to trample the kitten. He stood his ground and got kicked to crap by that horse while he nosed the kitten under the fence to safety. He also ran at a full gallop from the far end of a pasture to get to a different cat first before a different horse with bad intentions could get to the cat. When he got there, he body slammed the other horse out of the way to buy the cat more time to get away. He has very strong opinions about how he is to be ridden, but he is very communicative and doesn't play dirty. He has strong feelings on fairness and will accept correction gracefully but has no tolerance for heavy handedness or punishment for things that were not his fault. He has walked through some of the scariest things/goings on for me when we had no choice but to go through them, but he can be terrified by my carrying a grocery bag. He tried to walk through a 30" tack room door with an 8" step up to follow me when I didn't realize he was behind me, but often decides he just has no need or interest to get on a trailer. And he is doing a lovely job of teaching Dallas about life. 8-)

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Jul 26, 2016 2:02 pm

He has walked through some of the scariest things/goings on for me when we had no choice but to go through them, but he can be terrified by my carrying a grocery bag.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the boiled down version of the answer to "What are horses like?" :lol:

Fergusnc, I hope you will compile your posts about Fergus and Dallas into another book.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Tue Jul 26, 2016 3:07 pm

KathyK wrote:
He has walked through some of the scariest things/goings on for me when we had no choice but to go through them, but he can be terrified by my carrying a grocery bag.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the boiled down version of the answer to "What are horses like?" :lol:

Fergusnc, I hope you will compile your posts about Fergus and Dallas into another book.

I "Liked" this post. :lol:

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Re: Dallas the Rescue Pony...8-6-16 photos and updates

Postby fergusnc » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:46 pm

I don't have the riding before/after photos yet, but being the person I am, I swear I see a maturity level/brain development in these new photos...didn't realize it until I scrolled back to earlier photos, but saw a contrast in the ones I just snapped this afternoon. Don't get me wrong, Dallas is still a five year old in an almost 12 year old's body due to lack of life experiences and lack of human relationships, but he is evolving so quickly. And I swear today's photos seem to have captured that...at least to me who knows him so well.

A friend came into town for a quick 36 hour visit, and we played with the horses throughout the day yesterday. With so few opportunities for strangers to interact with him here at home, I took advantage of a horsey person I trust being here, and let her do a little ground work with him. It was nice to hear her thoughts echoed mine as far as where to spend some time, and how to go about things. I put his bridle on and continured the process of getting him comfortable with a bit without carrying a human around, and continued some ground work. He caught on so fast, really tried to do what was asked, and made progress with relaxing and staying "present" instead of retreating to wherever it is he sometimes goes.

We both feel like it's not time to ride yet, that he doesn't understand that we are a team and its not every man for himself should something go sideways. There needs to be more improvements in personal space and crowding as an evasion during a difference of opinion, but that has also come a long way. I am a slow and steady wins the race type girl, so it's all good for me. My friend sees the challenges, but also sees how much this will teach me, and how much fun it will be...and she sees why I call him Sassy Pants sometimes. ❤️❤️❤️❤️
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (83.86 KiB) Viewed 23793 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (119.85 KiB) Viewed 23793 times

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”