Spinoff--How do YOU organize your freezer drawer

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Spinoff--How do YOU organize your freezer drawer

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:37 pm

In bits refrigerator thread, everyone pretty much loves their bottom freezer drawer.

How the heck do you organize it? I can't seem to find anything when I want it regardless of where the freezer is.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Re: Spinoff--How do YOU organize your freezer drawer

Postby Rosie B » Mon Apr 25, 2016 2:55 pm

My freezer compartment has a shelf on top with a drawer underneath. I keep the high frequency items on front of the shelf where they're easier to grab, and things like frozen soups and sauces (lower frequency usage) at the back of the shelf. Butter goes on the door. Meat mostly fills the bottom left of the drawer, and frozen veggies mostly on the right. This works for me, but my husband can NEVER find anything. :)

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby PaulaO » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:05 pm

My freezer is a bottom mount pull-out with a top and bottom drawer. It has unmoveable dividers (I am NOT please with that feature). Truthfully I have no organization except that the blue ice pack thing goes in the top drawer on the left. Other than that I just cram stuff in.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Susan: My honest answer is that I have an upright freezer in the basement that is pretty full and well organized by shelf. My bottom-mount drawer freezer is less for storage than for basics (ice, frozen fruit, etc.), so it is not so space/organizationally challenged!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:00 pm

Ummm.... not well.... blush...

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:23 pm

I put the ice cream in front and the rest of the ice cream in back.

capstone
Herd Member

Postby capstone » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:24 pm

Koolkat wrote:I put the ice cream in front and the rest of the ice cream in back.

Ha!! :mrgreen:

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:58 pm

Sorted by flavor???

:lol:

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:14 pm

piedmontfields wrote:Susan: My honest answer is that I have an upright freezer in the basement that is pretty full and well organized by shelf. My bottom-mount drawer freezer is less for storage than for basics (ice, frozen fruit, etc.), so it is not so space/organizationally challenged!

While I do't have a bottom mount freezer on my main fridge (or the beer fridge either. . .) if I had one I would probably use it the way piedmontfields does. My kitchen freezer has always been for 'short term' use--as in about two weeks worth of stuff, the rest is kept in deep freeze in the basement-- and is organized by meats on one shelf, ice cream on another, bagels and bread on a separate shelf and veggies in the basket. In the basement, in addition to the beer fridge--which technically is DH's kegerator--I have an upright freezer and a massive chest freezer. Both of those freezers have boxes and plastic crates in them and each category of frozen food is kept in it's own spot: pork non-sausage cuts, pork sausage, beef steaks and roasts, hamburger, venison stew & steaks, venison burger, whole chickens, chicken breasts and leg quarters, soup bones/carcasses, fruits, veggies. . .

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:49 am

Veggies and bread in thr drawers, meats in the bottom stacked like books I guess. I also have a chest freezer so I rotate

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:43 am

Boxed items on the left of the divider, oddly shaped things like bread, muffins, bits of sauces, etc on the right. Bags of vegetables are in the top shallow drawer. Like others, I have a chest freezer that holds the bulk of our frozen goods.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:39 am

Yes--I do need to get a small chest freezer. I feed the cats a prepared raw diet that come frozen and honestly that takes up about 1/4 of the freezer drawer. I have one moveable divider. Frozen dinners are on one side and the other side is a big miasma of various things. It does have a top drawer that is about 1/3 occupied by the ice maker and the other 2/3 are my ice packs, frozen veggies and bread.

I just have to work harder at organizing the bottom part. I do like your organization scheme Koolkat :lol: .

Susan

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:00 pm

People organize their freezers?

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:07 pm

Susan, get an upright freezer if you have the room. It is so much easier to see everything in it.

Chancellor, if my freezer is not organized, things could get lost! As it is, I know exactly where the frozen persimmon is at all times LOL!

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Tue Apr 26, 2016 2:44 pm

Chancellor, I was going to add on... how *should* I organize my freezer or how *do* I organize my freezer... two completely different concepts :D

kande50

Postby kande50 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:27 pm

I start out organizing my freezers, but then one space will get so full that I have to put stuff in the wrong space, and then pretty soon everything just gets stuffed in wherever it'll fit. What works with the freezers is to take the flashlight with me when I go out to excavate.

Right now, the whole bottom of my chest freezer is full of plastic mayo jars of maple syrup because I was too lazy to sterilize jars.

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:15 pm

I don't. I just cram it in there. If it doesn't fit, I push really hard until it does fit.

I probably should clean out the back of my freezer.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:34 pm

Kelo wrote:I don't. I just cram it in there. If it doesn't fit, I push really hard until it does fit.

I probably should clean out the back of my freezer.

Oh good....so there IS a type of organization like mine. Just like this one. :D

Shirrine
Herd Member

Postby Shirrine » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:23 am

Are you supposed to roganise it???? :shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Shirrine
Horses are meant to enjoy, so enjoy

pawsplus
Herd Member

Postby pawsplus » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:55 pm

I don't have a drawer. The mice (cats') are on the bottom shelf. The frozen veggies (mine) are on the top shelf. That's as "organized" as it gets.

Idofly
Greenie

Postby Idofly » Fri Apr 29, 2016 6:31 pm

Hysterical laughter...

angela9823
Herd Member

Postby angela9823 » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:24 am

Mine is actually organized. But I have a drawer that opens and has three separate sliding compartments. Frozen veggies on top and in middle section. Icecream in the ice drawer (has automatic ice maker), meat on bottom. The big drawer has three different sections so it makes it easy to organize the meat sections.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Apr 30, 2016 11:10 pm

I also have an upright, so I don't keep very much in the drawer freezer. My hoard of Kerrygold butter and homemade tomato paste and pesto is towards the back of the upper drawer, then I keep frozen fruit and ice packs for lunch in the bottom drawer, as well as a frosty mug, a bag of Medjool dates, which are better eaten cold, a giant jar of mixed raw nuts. The front of the upper drawer is where I stash whatever random stuff that doesn't have an area in the big freezer, like a batch of salmon cakes or extra cut up chicken, and things that need to be frozen to prevent wastage, but which I'm too lazy to carry out to the garage.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”