Cowpony Update

Kelo
Herd Member

Cowpony Update

Postby Kelo » Mon May 02, 2016 1:00 pm

Just in case any Cowpony fans want an update on what all we've been up to the past half year or so :)

Nothing out of the ordinary going on here. I'm enjoying having the Cowpony and the Old Man home, where I can look at them out my back window. They're doing well in the setup, although the spring grass is coming in and they think maybe they now need to be out on it 24-7 (sorry guys!).

The Cowpony and I have been working hard at improving our dressage. About 95 percent basics, lessons and learning. Oh my lord, I am kept so busy learning how much I don't know! :oops: But the Cowpony soldiers on despite me, and so we're doing a little fun stuff, too...we recently introduced 1-tempis :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: And working on piaffe/passage. We will do I-1 again this year, but with an eye to possibly maybe potentially hypothetically moving up one of these days. :shock:

But, of course, the Cowpony is the Cowpony, and thus versatility is our wheelhouse. 8-)

A few weeks ago, we went to a competitive trail ride. I typically do these once every year or two, so they're not frequent, but they're always fun. We ended up going 36 miles over two days, with enough energy on his end to frolic out into the pasture when we got home ;) Got first and second in our classes (horsemanship and vet), so that was fun. It is a beautiful ride, lots of amazing views, and fun to visit with friends old and new.

Then we started up our demos for the year. Word is getting out about our demos, I think. I give presentations to kids about horses and the horse industry, and I weave the Cowpony's tricks into them so it makes the kids laugh as well as educate them. A couple years ago we would do two per year....well, I've already booked 7 demos this year and had to turn several down :shock: So, also a few weeks ago, we taught a total of about 1,000 kids over two days of presentations.

Then I decided it was time to get the Cowpony back on cows, whether or not we were ready. I mean, never mind that we'd seen two cows in the past year, and hadn't really practiced our reining (too busy with that dressage stuff!). But, what the hell, we're not getting any younger so I signed us up for a cow horse show. Turns out we were a little rusty, but mostly remembered what to do. Did well enough to earn a check that paid for the whole weekend with enough left over for a dinner. 8-)

Anyway, on to photos. All these were taken in the past month: dressage lesson, practicing piaffe (and yes, the wind was strong enough to blow his tail straight out), one of the views during our competitive trail ride, doing a trick during one of our presentations, and stopping during our cow horse show.
Attachments
april.jpg
april.jpg (138.24 KiB) Viewed 15250 times

DJR
500 post plus club

Re: Cowpony Update

Postby DJR » Mon May 02, 2016 1:37 pm

You & the Cowpony are my heroes! I absolutely LOVE it when horses are given a life of love & versatility. Rock on with your gorgeous beast!
formerly known as "Deanna" on UDBB -- and prior to that, as "DJD".

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Hayburner » Mon May 02, 2016 3:39 pm

Thanks for the update! You two are AMAZING!!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon May 02, 2016 4:22 pm

I need to show these photos to Dallas The Rescue Pony to give him a QH idol to look up to…you know since The Cowpony is already mine. :-)
Kelo please remind me how tall The Cowpony is and how tall you are?

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Mon May 02, 2016 5:06 pm

The cowpony rocks! Matt is my hero.

I signed up my dressage cowpony for a Greg Best clinic later this month (I am not the one riding!) to see if he might like to jump a little :lol:

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon May 02, 2016 6:54 pm

Another Cowpony and Kelo worshipper.

Thank you for the update :mrgreen: .

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon May 02, 2016 7:10 pm

Go Matt Go.

Wish I had your energy and dedication to seriously pursuing such a wide range of things at such a high level of expertise.

I have mine signed up for a prize ride early june. That's the extent of my dedication this year.

LeoApp
Herd Member

Postby LeoApp » Mon May 02, 2016 11:25 pm

I always love cowpony updates!

Jan & PJ
Herd Member

Postby Jan & PJ » Tue May 03, 2016 2:32 am

Great updates. I love how versatile your cowpony is!! Looking forward to more updates!

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Tue May 03, 2016 3:33 am

me too! thanks for sharing!

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Tue May 03, 2016 3:59 am

I'm so impressed I don't even know what to say but WOW!!!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Tue May 03, 2016 4:22 am

Well done!

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Tue May 03, 2016 11:25 am

Thanks for the update!!!! I am a huge fan of you guys. And I think it's wonderful that you're doing demos for kids!!! (Along with everything else you do!)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Tue May 03, 2016 1:14 pm

Thanks all. He's just the best, in my totally not biased opinion!

fergusnc wrote:Kelo please remind me how tall The Cowpony is and how tall you are?

I keep telling you you can ride Dallas, 14+hh is not too small :lol: The Cowpony is 15hh, and I'm pretty short, but IMHO dressage causes a little bit of dysmorphia re: the acceptable relative size of rider and horse. If I could've got a smaller horse I would've but, hey, no horse is perfect. ;)

expoding pony wrote: I signed up my dressage cowpony for a Greg Best clinic later this month (I am not the one riding!) to see if he might like to jump a little :lol:

How super fun! I hope he loves it! Be sure to post about it :)

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue May 03, 2016 3:50 pm

I know you're right Kelo, I will ride him.m :D I was just trying to use you and the cowpony as a reference to our 14.2hh/5'8" scenario. 8-)

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Tue May 03, 2016 9:00 pm

It's not the height of the cowponies, it's the breadth.

Me 5-5. Her, squeaking 14.

tuffy cow.jpg
tuffy cow.jpg (111.5 KiB) Viewed 15069 times

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue May 10, 2016 4:36 pm

My DD is 5'9" and her rescue quarter pony is 14h. She's a wide, stocky girl (pony, not daughter!!) and carries my DD just fine!

klark_kent07
Novice

Postby klark_kent07 » Fri May 13, 2016 12:46 am

I love the Cowpony! Do you think he knows the difference in tack? As in when he as a western saddle and different bit as opposed to dressage saddle? He is so incredibly versatile, exactly what any good dressage pony should be! :)

KathyK
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby KathyK » Sat May 14, 2016 1:06 am

Thanks for a fun update, Kelo, and the great pics.

Your little redhead is as cute as a button, Tuffytown!

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon May 16, 2016 5:23 pm

klark_kent07 wrote:Do you think he knows the difference in tack?

Yeah, he knows, and he understands how to play these games. I think the secret is he's incredibly intelligent. Which is why he is able to figure out and cope with all these situations I throw at him, literally, without ever turning a hair. It's certainly not my flawless training :lol:

This still makes me laugh, but once we were doing a kid demo...it was an incredibly loud and raucous environment, the kind that would really spook most horses. But the Cowpony was just standing there, napping -- as long as I'm with him, he's cool. A guy came over to visit and asked very seriously if I'd drugged the horse. Ha, NO, that's just him.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Mon May 16, 2016 5:48 pm

Would have been funny to let some cows in with you and have the guy see the change in demeanor. :)

Kelo
Herd Member

Postby Kelo » Mon May 16, 2016 9:47 pm

Tuffytown wrote:Would have been funny to let some cows in with you and have the guy see the change in demeanor. :)

:lol: Truth! You would've seen him at the other end of the "drugged" spectrum!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”