Equine Body Work and Massage

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Equine Body Work and Massage

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue May 03, 2016 4:52 pm

I have been interested in learning equine massage and body work for quite some time, I've just never taken action on it. After reading Fergusnc's story about Dallas, I'm even more convinced its something I want to do.
But where does a person start? I don't have a schedule that will really allow for attending any classes or anything at the moment. Do they offer online courses? Are there programs that are better than others?
Do we have anyone here who has done this?

ETA: I don't expect to be able to do something like this entirely online. I am just hoping to find a good program that some of it can be learned online, and the necessary parts hands on. Maybe a program that allows for an apprenticeship with someone local to you who practices the method?
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Equine Body Work and Massage

Postby PaulaO » Tue May 03, 2016 7:57 pm

I thought about this a few years ago but don't remember what programs I looked at. Massage is obviously a hands-on practice and frankly, I would be skeptical of a practitioner who learned any of it on-line. I believe it is something you must immerse yourself in and learn on an equine.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Tue May 03, 2016 8:15 pm

I've looked at this before and there are a number of places where you can do a hands on immersive course. The place that I had wanted to look at more was in Arizona (I think), and it was an 8 week course. I liked the structure of it and felt more like an actual college course than a weekend clinic to get certified. I'll have to see if I can find it again. This was years ago, so they may not even offer it still.

There was also another course on the East Coast, but it didn't seem as meaty to me.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue May 03, 2016 8:17 pm

PaulaO wrote:I thought about this a few years ago but don't remember what programs I looked at. Massage is obviously a hands-on practice and frankly, I would be skeptical of a practitioner who learned any of it on-line. I believe it is something you must immerse yourself in and learn on an equine.

I was hoping things like anatomy, and biomechanics, and theory could be more of an online format. I am aware a lot of that could probably be learned on my own, but if its required for the course and I would have to do it again, its better for me to do that online than sit in a classroom. I'm not expecting to learn any of the hands on stuff without actually being hands on.

The schedule issue is this. I have a full time job, and I work part time at the barn. I cant take a course that would require me to be absent for more than a couple days at a time.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue May 03, 2016 10:12 pm

I can ask when I see our person next time. I will say the work of the person that Fergus could not tolerate was a course of several weeks with some sort of certificate and was out of state...it was straight massage and was too one-method-only for his body. But I think most people start with more traditional massage and then add and add and add. Continuing to learn is so huge. And in each method there are levels of that method. Our person goes away for 4 days at a time, to get more certification in methods in which she is already certified.

Her original work was a state away, I want to say weekends or three day weekends for however many months, book work during the week, case studies submitted to the instructor, observed sessions by the instructor, before having that school's certificate. That was straight massage only. But have heard of massage only programs that were nowhere near so in depth...and the work is not so well recieved.

I think it may be hard to do and work full time. Will see what I can find out. It is very exhausting work, especially when you do the things our person does for the more traumatic aspects of it...she tells me the toll it takes on her some days...by the time she makes it home, she is a wet dishrag. And travels a lot. But she adores it. I think it would be awesome to do.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Wed May 04, 2016 2:00 pm

fergusnc wrote:I can ask when I see our person next time.

I would really appreciate that!
I would want to learn different methods, but have to start somewhere first.

It was suggested by someone I know that I start with massage therapy on humans first, she said it builds credibility and would be more stable work. BUT, I'm just not sure I want to work on people. I'm really not a people person LOL. I'd much rather start with horses.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed May 04, 2016 5:30 pm

Our person had nothing to do with healthcare for humans before she switched careers, but she was a horse person tried and true. I have another friend who is an incredible horse person who works in IT wanting to get into body work…she will be amazing. In contrast, I was asked by a human massage therapist---who had zero familiarity with horses except watching her daughter take a few lessons, and who talked about horses in the most goofy, odd way---about becoming a massage person for horses. I flat out told her that I would not let any non-horse person work on my horse, even if they had worked with humans for 30 years.
Extra experience with anatomy of humans might help you absorb the horse info more quickly, but to me, it wouldn't make me more likely to hire you. I'd want to know about your riding, training, horse care experiences and longevity….that would mean more to me. JMHO.

Dallas is scheduled for a session friday if weather allows…will get some general info/suggestions.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed May 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Last edited by Ryeissa on Sat Sep 07, 2019 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Fri May 06, 2016 12:32 pm

I would look into learning Hanna Somatics for Equines, especially if there is a plethora of massage therapists in your area. One of my clients does Somatic work on horses and her most popular clients are the racehorse trainers.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Mon May 16, 2016 6:32 pm

I'm sorry I didn't get any info for you yet…do you still need more feedback from folks? Our person has been out twice more, but there has been so much going on while she was here, we honestly didn't get a chance to talk a whole lot.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Mon May 16, 2016 8:12 pm

fergusnc wrote:I'm sorry I didn't get any info for you yet…do you still need more feedback from folks? Our person has been out twice more, but there has been so much going on while she was here, we honestly didn't get a chance to talk a whole lot.

I completely understand!
Yes, I'd still like feedback, as I still haven't decided exactly where to start.
I also have considered equine acupuncture in addition, at the suggestion of a licensed acupuncturist friend. But I haven't looked into that much yet, I've been quite busy myself.

I wont be signing up for anything until after I get back from my vacation to NC in July. I'm trying to take this time to really figure out where I want to start.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue May 17, 2016 12:49 am

I was told by my acupuncture vet that you need to be a vet to do acupuncture on animals...not sure if that is a national rule or state. I would've loved to do it.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Tue May 17, 2016 2:00 pm

I'll have to check on that. It was just a suggestion she made the other day and I don't hate the idea. I haven't really looked into acupuncture much at all yet.
I think either way, its more likely that I will start with a type of massage and build on that. But I'm still wanting to keep my options open before making a decision

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 17, 2016 2:22 pm

fergusnc wrote:I was told by my acupuncture vet that you need to be a vet to do acupuncture on animals...not sure if that is a national rule or state. I would've loved to do it.

yes. in my state as well.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed May 18, 2016 1:13 am

For what it is worth, I have not done any of this in order to become a person who does bodywork on horses, or earns a living from working with them in any capacity. It is personal growth/interest 'only' :lol:

I have always been interested in what therapists can do for my horses, and I've spoken to the various people I've employed over the years about their influences and training.

I have worked with someone who teaches horse and human to move in a biomechanically correct way for several years. Completed lessons, clinics and two practitioner training courses for further knowledge.

Completely separately to that, I trained as a barefoot trimmer. We had to become familiar with anatomy in a 'limited', or focused, sort of way (more knowledge of the limb, for example). We also had professionals from various schools of thought teach us shorter segments (eg vets, massage therapists, etc).

The more I learnedthe more I wanted to know, so kept looking.

I have now attended several dissection courses, and a specific biomechanics course with a world-leading biomech. expert.

I attended a weekend with two very well known practitioners, aimed at holistic rehabilitation techniques. I then attended a 4-day course with one of them to learn acupressure (there were vets present and were able to learn a little acupuncture, too, as we were appropriately supervised).

I have signed up to a 2.5 day course in August with an osteopath who is excellent at teaching anatomy/biomechanics.

I'm sure there's more but I forget right now. In my very humble opinion, finding a modality that "speaks" to you is the most important thing. It has to resonate and you have to "get" it, in order to enjoy it and want to go through the bad parts as well as the good.
Then, learning from people that are good teachers, not just good at the modality (though of course you want that, too).

I have been blessed to learn from some incredible people, who were totally and completely generous and selfless about passing on knowledge to others, "for the good of the horse."

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed May 18, 2016 1:18 am

As for acupuncture... you either have to be a human-qualified acupuncturist, or a vet, in order to sign up with certain teaching bodies. The rules vary from country to country (eg NZ has no such requirements, but we also don't have schools that teach acupuncture)... Much like farriery in the UK is more regulated than in some other places.

Starting from a point of being qualified to work on humans (chiropractic, physiotherapy, osteopathy, acupuncture) can help, but I know from speaking to people that come from humans, that the landmarks and whatnot are completely different from human to horse, so if horses are what you want to treat, you should just start there (this is, once again, my humble opinion... "start as you mean to continue" and "do what makes your heart sing.").

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Wed May 18, 2016 11:55 am

In NC anyway, you can have any kind of background prior (doesn't have to be healthcare related), but to work on humans you must be accepted to a school and graduate. To work on animals you must be a veterinarian. I found that a bit backwards when so little care is given to animal welfare in many parts of the US, especially down here in NC/SC.
And I was bummed to hear it since I would have LOVED to do acupuncture on animals as a second career....but have zero interest in working on humans in that way.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”