Let's Get a Farm Sign!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Let's Get a Farm Sign!

Postby fergusnc » Thu May 12, 2016 6:57 pm

As I have said before, my brain stays busy, and I start to think about things long before I need to act…to gather good "intel". 8-)

My DH would scoff at how low this is on the Big Job List, but I love the idea of my sign. I love the ones that are single posts in the ground, with a cross piece from which hangs a cool sign. I think black metal posts look sharp, with a sign that has more interest to it. I have already started on the end of the driveway landscaping, minimally, and have a long term goal in mind…which will be a cool back drop for my SIGN! :lol: :lol:

I did a quick Google search, got overwhelmed quickly, so decided to come here for advice, experiences and recommendations. I also have no clue about things like price, good materials, considerations for construction, weather, etc…so feel free to enlighten me, please.

I have known the name of the farm since before we bought it. When I shared it with DH a couple weeks after we'd closed, and when I thought he was recovered enough to hear me, I told him it was one of those things that I needed him to just say "great idea, I love it"...as it was coming from a very deep place. And I cried with just how blessed I felt. Good man that he is, he agreed.

My 16.5 years with Fergus have been beyond wonderful, with some unbelievably challenging experiences that have only added to how very much he is my heart. He has a huge presence, and everywhere he has every lived, he has been a herd leader, a protector, and a sentry…so watchful, though calm and kind about it. He would come off the trailer at a new boarding barn like he already owned the place. 8-) When he would be particularly intense about a specific thing, like a new horse or a person walking somewhere unexpected, I'd say out loud to him "What is going on at your farm today?" or "who is that walking around on your farm?" and he would look at me like he wanted to tell me. It wasn't just me that saw his possession and protection…I'd hear barn workers and farm owners talk to him about it too.

When we put in the offer, and later closed, I told him all about "your forever farm". And I reminded him about it often when things were less than perfect at our last boarding place and he was struggling emotionally, and when we got unexpected news that everyone had to move.

One of my favorite farm names of all times was of a place I visited, a very comfortable, horse-friendly barn named for a best friend... "Paco's Place". I have never forgotten it.

And now, we own "Fergus' Farm". :D DH asked me about how I'd feel in 100 years when Fergus was gone, and seeing that sign or calling the place by that name…would it be too much for me. And I told him that it didn't matter if he was here or not, it would always be his farm, and that would make me happy.

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Let's Get a Farm Sign!

Postby PaulaO » Thu May 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Beautiful story and what a perfect name. I'm happy to see you used the apostrophe correctly.

My farm will be Kindred Spirits.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Thu May 12, 2016 11:05 pm

:D

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Fri May 13, 2016 5:03 am

Mine, in my mind, is The Peaceable Kingdom.

I want a proper, over the driveway, ranch sign.

My husband would think I had lost my mind.

Flight

Postby Flight » Fri May 13, 2016 7:46 am

That's so cool!

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Fri May 13, 2016 11:49 am

Thanks all. :D
So, now does anyone have any go-to resources? Like I said, I looked briefly and got overwhelmed! Good thing we have plenty of time. ;)

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri May 13, 2016 6:41 pm

I love your stories. My farm is "Deer Wallow Farm". When my husband and I were walking about the farm thinking of buying it we saw a place where the deer had wallowed out a comfy sleeping and resting place. My sign is a custom made metal sign mounted on a brick column at the beginning of my driveway. There are 2 brick columns at the beginning of the driveway and white board fence attached to them and all around.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri May 13, 2016 9:00 pm

I just want to validate getting a sign and enjoying seeing it every day. Ferguson, I would spend the money to get exactly what you want (as possible!).

Our place is "Pinefall Farm." We even have a logo (from when we sold produce and flowers), but we don't have a sign. Mountaineer, I have always wanted a ranch-style entry and sign, too. Hmmm...

A friend of ours who enjoys visiting says that we need a sign that says "Welcome to Pinefall...Life as it should be".

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Fri May 13, 2016 9:16 pm

I always wanted "Red Horse Ranch" as our first three horses (which we still have) were red - not by design, just happened that way!

redsoxluvr
Herd Member

Postby redsoxluvr » Sat May 14, 2016 3:36 am

Ours is Flat Tire Farm. We had a sign made at the Scottsdale Arabian Horse show this year. It turned out great!

TeresaA
Herd Member

Postby TeresaA » Sun May 15, 2016 1:01 am

We had our daughter design a sign for us and then had it carved into wood. A friend of a friend made a wrought iron holder for it (don't have a photo of it but it was a simple square design):

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun May 15, 2016 4:33 pm

Etsy seems to have quite a few options. I can't personally recommend a particular shop on Etsy but would look at the feedback each vendor has.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”