Can we talk?

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Can we talk?

Postby boots-aregard » Mon May 23, 2016 1:02 am

Seriously. I'm not sure I'm the only one, but I check here often, wondering if it will be viable as a forum space, and it's dead dead dead.

Maybe the dressage threads are lively, I don't know. (Dressage was never my thing.)

Of course, I don't always post a new thread when I look, and I suppose I could do that, but that'd be gratuitous in a way, yes? And I'm flabbergasted that in an election year, the political forum is similarly moribund, but perhaps that's all the walking on tiptoes after some blowups a few months ago.

Makes one think about the world. Happy threads get occasional views and some thumbs up, but no real DISCUSSION, you know? Controversial threads get condemned for being controversial.

Can we each resolve to post one new thread a month? Surely we each have at least one thought per month that could use the input of our friends.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Re: Can we talk?

Postby WheresMyWhite » Mon May 23, 2016 2:19 am

boots-aregard, I'll confess I've pretty much stopped in the PF as, IMO, there wasn't as much discussion as 'my way or the highway' from some folks.

I don't mind discussion but I do mind when I end up feeling (yes, I know, my issue) that my views are wrong. After a while, why say anything.

Not saying it was you or any other in particular but I was often left with the feeling of why bother. But, something I see often in real life... the "I'm right, you're wrong" view rather than not agreeing but at least making a minimal attempt to see where the other side is coming from (which I feel I try to do unless I am really in a devil's advocate/poke the bear mood :) ).

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 23, 2016 3:32 am

Do you check by active topics? I dislike forum politics so I rarely look, read or respond there but I find it fairly active. Maybe it is the training threads that get more responses.

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon May 23, 2016 3:56 am

Forums are generally on the decline anyway. People don't seem to use them as much as say 5+ years ago.

I find the age demographic interesting here, we're mostly 40+ years??
What do the younger people do thesedays? Anyone got kids that can find out :D

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Mon May 23, 2016 4:33 am

Well, to be fair, the UDBB hardly fostered an environment where people felt free to post photos or training concepts/ideas for critique. And that is ultimately why we join horse forums - to read about and discuss training/riding horses...

Flight - I read Horse & Hound quite a lot. Not so much in-depth training discussion, which I really really REALLY miss from the old UDBB days, but people post pictures and videos of their results, and of their training progress in general, across a wide variety of disciplines. A much more encouraging culture over there, and a feeling of "we're all in this together, so let's crack on" :)
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon May 23, 2016 5:04 am

You know, I don't feel the need to share my stuff--opinions, life happenings, videos--with the thousands. I am very happy with the more peaceful and somewhat collegiate environment that this board offers.

My family and friends don't either wish to or need to know some of the things I post here. Not that there's anything particularly controversial,
but I'm sure you all understand what I mean.

If I want to share something with the entire unedited world, I'd post on CoTH, and sometimes I do, say if I want farming advice from a wider range of people. But I'd be damned if I posted a picture or video of myself, riding or otherwise, on there.

I do think it's kind of funny to condemn a horse board because the political forum isn't a happening place.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon May 23, 2016 1:05 pm

Moutaineer wrote: I do think it's kind of funny to condemn a horse board because the political forum isn't a happening place.

:D

Aregard, alas FB provides me with way too much info about horse people's political POVs. I find it (mostly) deeply disturbing and part of the cost of being involved with horses. Overall, we are not the most progressive or even informed group out there.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 23, 2016 2:18 pm

I'm not a political person therefore don't stop in the PF. IMHO the PF was a huge contributor to the collapse of the UDBB (run by MS). It just got too nasty. I like this version of the board--it is kinder, gentler place. Yeah, forums in general seem to be going the way of the rumble seat. I was very active on a dog BB and haven't gone there in months. I think there are so many forms of electronic communication (FB, Instagram whatever that is, blogs) and the population is fragmented. I hang out here quite a bit. I do check CoH and confess I love the read the whingers and drama stories but are happy that doesn't happen here.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon May 23, 2016 2:23 pm

mari wrote:Well, to be fair, the UDBB hardly fostered an environment where people felt free to post photos or training concepts/ideas for critique. And that is ultimately why we join horse forums - to read about and discuss training/riding horses...

Flight - I read Horse & Hound quite a lot. Not so much in-depth training discussion, which I really really REALLY miss from the old UDBB days, but people post pictures and videos of their results, and of their training progress in general, across a wide variety of disciplines. A much more encouraging culture over there, and a feeling of "we're all in this together, so let's crack on" :)

But this ISN'T the UDBB. This is the DDBB and I would HOPE that the environment here is more fostering of being able to post videos etc for critique.
I admit that I don't get over to the training forum much anymore since I am currently horse-less. If there is anything this board can do to foster that, by all means, let me know.

I am always ready to hear suggestions on making this board a more active board although I do think the forums format is slowly dying. Not quite dead yet but getting there.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon May 23, 2016 2:25 pm

Moutaineer wrote:
I do think it's kind of funny to condemn a horse board because the political forum isn't a happening place.

Come on, I'm not doing that. I said "in an election year". I'm talking about (example) having an Olympics forum that nobody commented in during an Olympics year.

Observation Lounge is also very quiet. It's like all my friends have lost my phone number or something. Makes me sad.

Sue B

Postby Sue B » Mon May 23, 2016 3:07 pm

I'm happy with the DDBB, happy to see how many folks are feeling safe enough to share pics and vid in the training forum etc. Then again, I only count a few people inrl as my actual friends, have no need for large groups, don't really facebook. I'll be here to the end. (Loyalty is my strongest suit. lol)

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon May 23, 2016 3:33 pm

I like it here too. I'm sure it's obvious because I'm here often. I have seen people join who I would enjoy hearing from, but who have not posted. I liked boots idea of people being more pro active about posting about things that interest them, :)

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon May 23, 2016 4:51 pm

Well, I was driven away by the nastiness of the old UDBB. One could say it was me and it could have been. but some people looked for posts to jump upon with both feet. It could be I got in the habit of not posting here after some of my experiences. I did post something very controversial a while back and I was surprised and pleased with the thoughtful and mature responses. Maybe I should give it a try again.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon May 23, 2016 5:44 pm

I am also horseless, but last year I posted two questions on the training forum (when I was taking lessons) and received very helpful advice. I never would have posted on the UDBB....

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon May 23, 2016 5:56 pm

Rockabilly wrote:Well, I was driven away by the nastiness of the old UDBB. One could say it was me and it could have been. but some people looked for posts to jump upon with both feet. It could be I got in the habit of not posting here after some of my experiences. I did post something very controversial a while back and I was surprised and pleased with the thoughtful and mature responses. Maybe I should give it a try again.

If you feel someone has mistreated you, please report the post to the administrators!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Mon May 23, 2016 6:04 pm

No, No not here. On the old UDBB and it was good luck reporting it and getting something done about it.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Mon May 23, 2016 6:14 pm

Rockabilly wrote:No, No not here. On the old UDBB and it was good luck reporting it and getting something done about it.

Well, all I can say is that administering a board is not easy (and I didn't expect it to be). Do make use of the notification buttons. I do try to check in at least once a day at the moment to make sure things are running smoothly. I'm not on here as much as I could be because life is busy...Gotta work to pay the bills.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue May 24, 2016 3:29 am

I've got to ask...how did you end up here (or udbb) if dressage wasn't your thing?

It is quiet here, but it was the same way at the old board for quite some time. Comparing this new one with the UDBB in it's heyday is like apples and oranges. There are SO MANY other options for social media now that BBs in general have become much smaller, and have less traffic.

I don't see it as a bad thing necessarily, a small, close knit group of people can function very well (though I have no idea about operating costs etc of a BB).

Flight

Postby Flight » Tue May 24, 2016 4:24 am

I'm liking how our training threads are going, and I stopped posting stuff on UBDD because it was too intimidating. I LOVE getting critique and help but sometimes you're made to feel like you're not even trying! But I know we all try very hard to get this right.

As for politics, I don't even follow Australian politics and so I will never understand USA stuff! Sometimes I read so I can get a bit of an idea lol.

mari
Herd Member

Postby mari » Tue May 24, 2016 4:36 am

Chancellor wrote:
mari wrote:Well, to be fair, the UDBB hardly fostered an environment where people felt free to post photos or training concepts/ideas for critique. And that is ultimately why we join horse forums - to read about and discuss training/riding horses...

But this ISN'T the UDBB. This is the DDBB and I would HOPE that the environment here is more fostering of being able to post videos etc for critique.
I admit that I don't get over to the training forum much anymore since I am currently horse-less. If there is anything this board can do to foster that, by all means, let me know.

I am always ready to hear suggestions on making this board a more active board although I do think the forums format is slowly dying. Not quite dead yet but getting there.

Chancellor - thanks for your response. I realise that it this isn't the UDBB anymore, but the majority of us came from there to here. Even though it was hyper critical, I still posted all my show videos and pictures on there, and even though I'm not a controversial or confrontational type of poster at all, it was really tough sometimes...

I haven't seen the same kind of nastiness on here, which is great. When my horse is eventually sound again (suspensory drama, uuuuuurgh), I will definitely keep posting updates.
The aim of argument or of discussion should not be victory, but progress. ~ Joseph Joubert

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue May 24, 2016 6:16 pm

I've been more active on the FB dressage groups, and COTH has off topic 24/7 now. quite a few regulars there.

I have a ton of UDBB as FB friends, too.

chantal
500 post plus club

Postby chantal » Tue May 24, 2016 8:31 pm

It's very quiet, I agree. I've never been one to start topics but I could try...

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Wed May 25, 2016 4:27 pm

I check in here almost daily and find this a pretty friendly place. I never went back to COTH after being told very decidedly that I was not welcome. Apparently my feelings are still hurt. :-) Maybe I should check it out as a lot of time has passed. I don't go to the PF very often but I will say I always enjoyed any conversation with WheresMyWhite. I had a good conversation with Red Barn once until some others were rude and the thread was closed. Shame we can't talk without being disrespectful but that seems to be the way of the world these days.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed May 25, 2016 4:44 pm

Thank you Code3. I like conversation where I feel that both sides are listened to and considered rather than just the I'm right and you're wrong which seems so prevalent. I would completely agree with you that the world, IMO, had gotten decided more disrespectful and rude :(

There are many that are not, but there are many more who are (and I'm not just talking about BBs). Was it really that important that you smashed me against the side of the road so you could hurry up and get in front of me at the lane merge to then just slam on your brakes to make a right turn??? Or that you had to hurry up to get in front of me as I was accelerating to get on the interstate so you could slam on your brakes so you could get off???

Arrrggghhhh.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed May 25, 2016 4:53 pm

I agree WheresMyWhite. I used to get into political discussions on the old UDBB when Mark had it. There were a couple of people who I really enjoyed debating with. There was no "I'm right and you are wrong" in our debates. Just really thoughtful discussions. And one guy even made me reconsider one of my thoughts.
Unfortunately, it seems that everyone these days is all about finger pointing and saying "Oh, they are wrong". And unfortunately, I have seen a LOT of that here as well in the political forum. So I stay out of it now for the most part.

heronponie
Greenie

Postby heronponie » Wed May 25, 2016 5:00 pm

I still read here sometimes, but mostly gave up posting. Unless you're part of the "in crowd", I find "outsider" posts are largely ignored. Coth will at least engage with lesser known posters from time to time, so I post there.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Wed May 25, 2016 5:06 pm

heronponie wrote:I still read here sometimes, but mostly gave up posting. Unless you're part of the "in crowd", I find "outsider" posts are largely ignored. Coth will at least engage with lesser known posters from time to time, so I post there.

I'm not sure that is true so much as people don't get a fast response here like they do on COTH. Since our population is much lower than COTH, you can't expect to get a super fast response.

Ponichiwa
500 post plus club

Postby Ponichiwa » Wed May 25, 2016 5:23 pm

heronponie wrote:I still read here sometimes, but mostly gave up posting. Unless you're part of the "in crowd", I find "outsider" posts are largely ignored. Coth will at least engage with lesser known posters from time to time, so I post there.

I've seen something similar here, but not to the extent I felt it on the UDBB (either reincarnation). And as a member of COTH I see the same behavior. People just form cliques naturally, unfortunately.

khall

Postby khall » Wed May 25, 2016 5:36 pm

I just keep posting regardless!! I don't start threads very often but do participate on multiple threads from vet forum to training forum to observation. Not so much on the political forum, even being an election year. Would love to participate on Olympic thread when it rolls around. Watching our riders in Europe right now and seeing some new faces there.

I do visit COTH regularly, not for the training forum usually but for the menagerie and breeding forum, horse care sometimes as well. There can be some good info there just have to sift through sometimes and ignore some posters.

Here though IMO it seems a much friendlier crowd, much more supportive of each other. UDBB could be brutal with some posters. I am friends on FB with a few here on this board and am happy to have them.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed May 25, 2016 6:03 pm

Ponichiwa wrote:People just form cliques naturally, unfortunately.

It took me awhile to catch on, but the connections are often made behind the scenes, and the result is that those alliances often make just about everyone in the conversation appear to be completely mad--until one realizes that almost no one is posting what they really think because all they're doing is backing up what someone else said. :-)

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed May 25, 2016 6:49 pm

kande50 wrote:

It took me awhile to catch on, but the connections are often made behind the scenes, and the result is that those alliances often make just about everyone in the conversation appear to be completely mad--until one realizes that almost no one is posting what they really think because all they're doing is backing up what someone else said. :-)

really? that would make my brain hurt, so much work! :lol:

I've been really busy training Riot, working, and with my horse massage business. Sort of burned out on in depth posting and training posts.

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Wed May 25, 2016 6:53 pm

boots-aregard wrote: And I'm flabbergasted that in an election year, the political forum is similarly moribund, but perhaps that's all the walking on tiptoes after some blowups a few months ago.
Why aren't you posting there? I would suspect it is because you are over on COTH where there is more than enough talk on the policial subjects.

My thinking is that, with any subject, if you are of a completely different opinion it serves no purpose to post on that topic. I'm mad at myself for not realizing that a decade or more ago.

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Wed May 25, 2016 7:23 pm

musical comedy wrote:My thinking is that, with any subject, if you are of a completely different opinion it serves no purpose to post on that topic. I'm mad at myself for not realizing that a decade or more ago.

truth!

COTH is getting way way to political for me, I can usually tell subjects, but at times the headings aren't really clear. Anyways, they have a good dressage forum.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Wed May 25, 2016 7:34 pm

kande50 wrote:

If it makes you feel any better... I have made no "connections" behind the scenes. I state what I think/feel regardless of what others may thing of my opinions (well, unless I am in the 'poke the bear mood' ;) ).

I try very hard to never include the word 'you' in my posts as that is, IMO, a guarantee to get someone else's hackles up.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Wed May 25, 2016 9:48 pm

I read way more often than I post. Part of that is being fairly new to the forum, part is because I have always been shy and tend to make friends very slowly (as my eldest son joked when he was two years out of high school --at which he was on the soccer team all 4years--and my younger son was in his second year of high school and soccer and they saw me sitting & talking with another veteran soccer mom "congrats Mom, it only took you six years to make a friend"). And part is because I tend to not post brief replies (as evidenced here), so if I'm short on time I don't feel like I am able to write out a intelligent legible thought.

Also, I avoid political, religious and sexually oriented topics like the plague. I visit this forum for relaxation and horse related discussion. I run into hot button topics IRL way more than I want to, I'm not going to get into all that online too. I see it as I have my views, you have yours. I'm not going to change your mind and you aren't going to change mine, so let's just talk about horses. ;)

demi

Postby demi » Wed May 25, 2016 9:52 pm

When the current DDBB started up I wanted to contribute to help it get going. I found the UDBB training forum helpful and I didn't want to lose it completely. I mostly only read UDBB training but decided I'd try to actually contribute after we almost lost it.

So I intially contributed on a few different forums but gradually got down to mostly the training forum. I just skim through the Obs lounge now and look for Happy threads. I feel terribly sad when I see sad threads. I stay mostly in the training forum for a few good reasons. One is that I don't have the time and energy for more. Another is that I am a really quiet person and just don't talk (or post) a lot. Also, screen names are hard for me to remember for some reason, unless I have a horse to associate it with. So I get people mixed up a lot.

I skim through CoTH training forum topics often but usually don't read much. The huge difference for me between the DDBB and CoTH dressage forums is that on DDBB we get to know the horses by name, and follow their progress. It's like being in a boarding barn where I get to know all the horses and care about them like my own. CoTH seems to be a lot more about dressage horses in general. And that's fine, but it just doen't hold my interest for the long run. There are a few horses that I "know" on CoTH and that's what I look for when I skim the topics.

It doesn't surprise me that forums are on the decline in general. The world is changing so fast that it makes my head spin at times.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu May 26, 2016 9:53 am

musical comedy wrote:
My thinking is that, with any subject, if you are of a completely different opinion it serves no purpose to post on that topic. I'm mad at myself for not realizing that a decade or more ago.

Isn't that what gets and keeps conversations going (differing opinions)?

I can see that if one is looking for agreement then it wouldn't be particularly rewarding to be defending a minority opinion, but if one is looking for information debate can be an effective way to bring it out.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Thu May 26, 2016 3:05 pm

kande50 wrote:
musical comedy wrote:

Isn't that what gets and keeps conversations going (differing opinions)?

I can see that if one is looking for agreement then it wouldn't be particularly rewarding to be defending a minority opinion, but if one is looking for information debate can be an effective way to bring it out.

I love a good debate. Unfortunately it seems too often topics meant as an informative discussion turn into just plain arguments with no real data or facts and a whole lot of personal slams.

Which is why I don't even click on threads that appear to be hot button issues.

Not to say that is a problem here. It's just my policy on forums in general.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu May 26, 2016 3:54 pm

Mareless wrote:
I love a good debate. Unfortunately it seems too often topics meant as an informative discussion turn into just plain arguments with no real data or facts and a whole lot of personal slams.

I think a good perspective on that is that if someone persists in resorting to logical fallacies then it's probably time to start ignoring them, because they've run out of logical arguments (or don't know the difference between a logical argument and a logical fallacy).

Part of the problem is that the most persistent discussions are not very often about facts, because if there were plenty of accepted facts available then there wouldn't be much to debate. So what the discussions become are attempts to match up evidence, which is often anecdotal and subject to interpretation, with beliefs.

And that's what I like about them: that some participants will share the experiences that led them to believe what they believe.

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu May 26, 2016 9:15 pm

Just a suggestion, and it's totally possible that these things ARE happening and I'm too much of a Luddite to realize it. Totally possible.

One, have a "show all new posts/active topics" like UDBB used to have and COTH does have. I'm not inclined to click on each forum to see if there's something new.

Two, notification via email of replys to your reply, or comments on an active post. Both other boards had/have that feature and I find it very helpful :)

Flight

Postby Flight » Thu May 26, 2016 10:16 pm

demi wrote:Also, screen names are hard for me to remember for some reason, unless I have a horse to associate it with. So I get people mixed up a lot.

Me too!! I'm trying to remember everyone on this forum as it's smaller than the others.

Quelah, yes go up to Quick Links in the top left corner to show new posts etc and yes you can turn on the notifications in your control panel :)

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Fri May 27, 2016 12:50 am

Lovely! Thank you Flight!

Anne
Herd Member

Postby Anne » Fri May 27, 2016 6:45 am

I really like the DDBB community. I don't post much, but read every day, mainly the Training forum and Obs. I shall endeavour to post more! Like Demi, I very much enjoy following horses and their persons by name (albeit screen name of course), and it is a small enough group to do so. Once I am riding again more regularly (been away for work, recently lost my horse to laminitis, and it is coming into the depths of winter here) I am aiming to participate in the 'goals' thread(s) in training. Let's all keep this place active, and thanks to Chancellor for running it.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Fri May 27, 2016 11:23 am

orono wrote:I've got to ask...how did you end up here (or udbb) if dressage wasn't your thing?

Desperation? It was decades ago, and I did ride dressage when I was eventing. When the eventing went by the wayside, I got to give up the dressage. Good thing, because I have very strong opinions about how the sport has changed. ;)

musical comedy wrote: Why aren't you posting there? I would suspect it is because you are over on COTH where there is more than enough talk on the policial subjects.

("there" meaning the Political Forum here). Two reasons: 1. I refrained from much political debate until November 2015, as I thought it was nutty to extend the election season backwards further than that. 2. I wonder sometimes how my posts are interpreted, so I was waiting to see the "tone" that would be established here. Apparently the "tone" is silence. And maybe that's fine -- lots of people have commented that they didn't like the earlier versions of exchange. I'm not the only vote that counts. It just seems like we're getting close to the main event and that got me wondering.

It's been many, many years, and I've gotten to like the people here. I no longer swing my leg over a horse very often, I don't own any anymore, I'm limited to the bit of fun I can find on schoolies or lease horses. But the people are still the people. I like our cocktail parties.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Fri May 27, 2016 5:04 pm

I hear you boots, my involvement in the sport has drastically changed over the last decade (ie reduced lol). I just thought it had never been of interest to you based on your other post, not that you came for dressage and stayed for other reasons!

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Sat May 28, 2016 10:48 pm

WheresMyWhite wrote:
I try very hard to never include the word 'you' in my posts as that is, IMO, a guarantee to get someone else's hackles up.

Yeah, I've learned this over the years, too. It feels very self-centered to report what I think, what I do, what I feel, all the time but at least (I hope!) I'm not offending people by referring to a specific-you (when I mean a generalized-you anyhow).

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Sun May 29, 2016 12:06 am

B-A, in specific case, 'you' is just fine but all to often 'you' is a predecessor to being accusatory and that never ends well :)

I try to re-phrase to exclude 'you' if I think there is a chance the reader may take it personally.

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Sun May 29, 2016 9:50 pm

This is where "y'all," "y'alls," "youse" and the sort come into play! They make "you" very clearly general!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”