Does the Florida incident concern you?

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Does the Florida incident concern you?

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:29 pm

Let me start out by saying that I understand, logically, that Islamic immigrants does not equate to domestic terrorist,. But in light of the horrible incident in Orlando, do you become more concerned about immigrants from regions of extremist influence?

I feel incredibly sad for the victims and their friends and family .

Yes I realize this will likely become a anti gun thread. I happen to believed people who want to do I'll can find a way to do it regardless of legality.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Re: Does the Florida incident concern you?

Postby Tuffytown » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:33 pm

No, Why would it. He was not an immigrant and per his family was historically not a religious person. He was a homophobe.

I wonder what radicalized him?

Does the California incident concern you?

I should qualify that. It does not concern me in relation to immigrants. It does concern and sadden me in relation to the hateful rhetoric targeted towards lbgt and others that has taken over much of the political discussion lately.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Sun Jun 12, 2016 8:53 pm

Tuffytown wrote: It does not concern me in relation to immigrants. It does concern and sadden me in relation to the hateful rhetoric targeted towards lbgt and others that has taken over much of the political discussion lately.

This. I'm not concerned about immigrants. The vast majority of shootings have nothing to do with Islam or immigrants. Plus my understanding was that the shooter was born in New York.

I worry about hate speech. I worry about easy accessibility to assault rifles.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jun 12, 2016 10:55 pm

If you mean the" self radicalized" California ok incident,. And the Boston Marathon incident, then yes. They both do.

I can not pretended the fact that the parents came from radical countries makes no difference. In suppose the parentage of Abdu- Salha had nothing to do with it either.

So yes,.

I will say, as an aside, as a Christian it irritates the hell out of me when Christians are stupid and prejudiced and do things that I consider against the real teachings of Christ.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:17 pm

I guess that means I still have things to work on. What a relief, imagined how impossible I would beer if I were perfect . ;)

Maybe I should worry more about the American influence :(
Last edited by Chisamba on Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tuffytown
Herd Member

Postby Tuffytown » Sun Jun 12, 2016 11:36 pm

Actually no, I meant the 20 year old white man arrested last night with multiple AR's and bomb making materials headed to the LA gay pride parade.

I reiterate, the immigrants don't scare me, religious extremists of any denomination do.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Jun 13, 2016 12:28 am

"When I was a boy and I would see scary things in the news, my mother would say to me, 'Look for the helpers. You will always find people who are helping.' To this day, especially in times of 'disaster,' I remember my mother's words and I am always comforted by realizing that there are still so many helpers – so many caring people in this world." -Fred Rogers

musical comedy

Postby musical comedy » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:03 am

Tuffytown wrote:Actually no, I meant the 20 year old white man arrested last night with multiple AR's and bomb making materials headed to the LA gay pride parade.
With all the coverage going to the Orlando incident, this one isn't getting much attention. It was a bit of a fluke that they caught this guy. He admitted he intended to do harm and he has a record along with other concerning habits with guns.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-m ... story.html

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:45 am

Why would immigration suddenly become a concern?

Millions of people have immigrated to the US under less than stellar circumstances. Individuals should not be judged on the actions of the whole, and the whole group should not be poisoned by a handful of individuals.

Bringing guns into the equation, I am more concerned that someone who was investigated *twice* by the FBI wasn't on some sort of watch list. Why was he still carrying a firearm for work? How was he able to buy more?

And why is forcing your views on others somehow okay? Isn't this a basic child/adolescent life lesson?

Flight

Postby Flight » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:37 am

I think it's the actions that these people (haters from whatever the agenda) are going to that is really disturbing.
Shooting numerous people etc.

Spiritpaws
Novice

Postby Spiritpaws » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:16 am

I don't think immigration is the issue, although certain politicians want to make it so.

Who the hell needs to buy an AK-47 except someone with the intention of killing humans. I think assault weapons should be banned.

Ultimately it is hate, and rage that we must stand against.

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:43 pm

I'd like to respond to this thread but you all know what my opinion is so I'll leave it at that. These things make me very sad and the fact that nothing will be done makes me even sadder.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Immigration is a problem only insofar as it gives the fearful an excuse to act out of fear, and gives the haters and excuse to act out of hate. That may not be the case in this instance (Orlando and California).

But I don't know that these folks need an excuse. I think the hateful rhetoric is whipping up folks with little control.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Mon Jun 13, 2016 5:50 pm

The violence against the LGBT community concerns me. A person who has 2 legal semi/automatic weapon opening fire on a club concerns me. The hate that will spew against immigrants and Muslims concerns me. The fact that Donald Trump is making this about himself and his campaign concerns me.

I'll say it right now, my opinion is that all guns, semi/automatic, hand, whatever, should be banned. Police can carry guns, hunters can have rifles, but that is it.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:36 pm

Chisamba wrote:Maybe I should worry more about the American influence :(

I certainly do! We are a pretty messed up people.

If you look at the recent history of mass killings in the US, what they all have in common is MEN were the killers.
http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... -s-history

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:17 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
If you look at the recent history of mass killings in the US, what they all have in common is MEN were the killers.

Not exactly. The San Bernardino shootings were done by a husband and wife.

What they have in common is they all used guns that they should not have had access to if one expect any reasonable measure of safety from this sort of thing. But let's keep blaming immigrants, mentally ill and even men.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:30 pm

Tabby wrote: Not exactly. The San Bernardino shootings were done by a husband and wife.

Sorry--true. And that was actually quite unusual, although the overall record around violent crimes does point to men most of the time.

Are you invoking the phrase "people don't kill people, guns kill people"?
IME, both people *and* guns can kill people! But guns help people kill more quickly and in a more de-personalized way.

FYI, I am a gun owner, hunter, not a member of the NRA and very much in favor of stringent gun control on most weapons. At the very least, I'd like it to be as hard to buy a gun as it is to get a driver's license!

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Mon Jun 13, 2016 10:21 pm

I completely agree. And I'd like to see guns regulated in a similar way as motor vehicles with various safety components in their engineering and assembly and limits as to how they perform and degrees of licenses as to who can drive what vehicle with what credentials. Nobody complains that it's too hard to get a license to drive a school bus or that regulated specifications on that bus are too onerous

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:04 am

Make getting a gun as difficult as getting an abortion. Show graphic videos, call the parents...

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:17 pm

PaulaO wrote:Make getting a gun as difficult as getting an abortion. Show graphic videos, call the parents...

IMO, it should be much easier to get an abortion.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jun 14, 2016 6:13 pm

piedmontfields wrote:
PaulaO wrote:Make getting a gun as difficult as getting an abortion. Show graphic videos, call the parents...

Of course getting an abortion should be easier, but it's not. Easier to get an assault weapon than to have control over your own body.

http://www.greenberg-art.com/.Toons/.To ... ign=buffer

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:10 pm

piedmontfields wrote:

Don't be ridiculous - even the fiercest anti-gun activists aren't asking to make it that hard to get a gun. And considering that graphic videos of these massacres are broadcast almost daily in the news, that tactic doesn't appear to be working anyway. Surprise - it doesn't work for abortion either. Or tobacco (have you seen Canadian cigarette packages these days?).

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:15 pm

Ummm he was gay himself so better check facts!
http://nypost.com/2016/06/13/shooter-us ... ting-apps/

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Tue Jun 14, 2016 7:24 pm

The article about him being gay looks a little sketchy, but even if it's true it doesn't prove anything. Hitler is said to have Jewish ancestry.
Last edited by orono on Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:28 pm

Tabby wrote:
piedmontfields wrote:

Don't be ridiculous - even the fiercest anti-gun activists aren't asking to make it that hard to get a gun. And considering that graphic videos of these massacres are broadcast almost daily in the news, that tactic doesn't appear to be working anyway. Surprise - it doesn't work for abortion either. Or tobacco (have you seen Canadian cigarette packages these days?).

Honey, it's a CARTOON. Lighten up.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:38 am

Tabby wrote:
piedmontfields wrote:

Not exactly. The San Bernardino shootings were done by a husband and wife.

What they have in common is they all used guns that they should not have had access to if one expect any reasonable measure of safety from this sort of thing. But let's keep blaming immigrants, mentally ill and even men.

Also not true,. There Boston Marathon brothers and Timothy McVeigh used explosives. 911 used air planes .

Tabby
Herd Member

Postby Tabby » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Chisamba - the list in that link are the largest mass killings so the Boston Marathon isn't in there. Curiously, 911 isn't in there either and I'm not quite certain why.

PaulaO:
Honey, it's a CARTOON. Lighten up.
The last comment on my quote was about Canadian cigarette packages so on my first glance at this, I read "It's a CARTON, light up"!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:54 pm

Oooh, I wish I could light up!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”