Suggestions for Web/Security Cams

Suzon
Herd Member

Suggestions for Web/Security Cams

Postby Suzon » Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:43 pm

So I want to put up some cameras at our oregon property, mostly to see what wildlife passes by but a little because we only get up there once every two months or so. So I'd like to "check in" via web cam and see what's shakin'. According to the scat, we do have bears, but it seems that's mostly during black beary season (pun intended). Anyway, does anyone have suggestions for exterior-capable wi-fi cameras that won't break the bank? I was looking at D-Link ones on Amazon, but I don't think you can put them outside.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: Suggestions for Web/Security Cams

Postby Tarlo Farm » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:55 pm

I bought whatever was on sale at our local sporting good store. Make sure you can read and understand the directions. These things have become so popular the prices are coming down as the options are going up.

Code3
Herd Member

Postby Code3 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:30 pm

Would a trail cam work?

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:58 pm

I think a with a trail cam you have to check in manually (at least all the ones I've ever seen), but I'll look at a few and see if any are wi-fi.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Postby Chancellor » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:50 pm

We have Foscam ones and they run on Blue Iris software. They didn't break the bank but I will warn you that if you expect to use your wifi while the cameras are running, you don't want them running on the wifi. They use a TON of bandwidth.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”