Show me your Oldies but Goodies

Suzon
Herd Member

Show me your Oldies but Goodies

Postby Suzon » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:51 pm

I took this photo of Chloe last night after she raided Jeep's feedbin for any crumbs he may have left behind (he gets locked in to eat, because otherwise Chloe and Tempi push him out of his food).

She turned 27 in April. She started Pergolide this year after shedding out her usual winter Yak coat in dinner plate size bald patches. :roll: It wasn't pretty. This is the horse who taught me everything I know about giving to the bit and got me started with barefoot trimming. She has lived in Illinois, Wisconsin, Rhode Island, New York, Maine, and California. She has visited Colorado four times while I trained with John Lyons. And I'm hoping she's still in good shape when we move to Oregon (hopefully in the spring)...right now the vet says she's good to go.

I rode her until she was 22 when she broke her hock in a pasture accident. She's a bit gimpy at the trot, but otherwise seems in fine fettle. Still at the top of the heap while her minions squabble at her feet. Hail the Queen of Everything.

Show me your oldsters!!

khall
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Show me your Oldies but Goodies

Postby khall » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:17 pm

Not a horse, but my old man Tucker dog who is 11.5 and a big boy at 90 lbs (usually 95 but we have dropped his weight to lessen the joint issues).
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

This is the oldest horse on the farm at 21 this year https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater
She dealt with a pretty significant laminitic episode last June, spent 10 months in the stall recuperating and was a gem the entire time, came out and her OCD in her left stifle was bothering her so did IRAP and she is back sound and ready to go back to work teaching lessons and being my bareback fun horse.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater this is my old lady dog at 10.5, she is boss of the other dogs big or small and is just a great all around farm dog.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:45 pm

We picked Pete up in KY back in the 80's, when he was 4, and rode and drove him until he was about 30. I thought he might get a couple good years and then we'd put him down, but apparently, he likes retirement and is planning to stick around for awhile.
pete 062316 (800x549).jpg
pete 062316 (800x549).jpg (138.57 KiB) Viewed 7300 times

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:39 pm

See thread "Donkey's 50th birthday party" for Orlando at age 50.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:28 pm

PaulaO wrote:See thread "Donkey's 50th birthday party" for Orlando at age 50.

Pete's a 15 hand mule so probably won't make it too much longer, although a friend has a similar size horse who they think is probably 36, and he still looks good.

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Fri Jun 24, 2016 1:19 am

Mules and donkeys live a long freakin' time. Pete may be around a while yet.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Fri Jun 24, 2016 7:51 pm

This is my old man. He is 7/8 Arab and 1/8 QH.

I met him in 1984 as a weanling, bought him in early 1987, broke him out and used him as my show horse (4-H, Open and Arabian) for several years. Sold him in 1992, in 1995 he got EPM, which left him with a hitch in his gait and the vet told his then owners he wouldn't be able to stand up to regular vigorous riding (as in, no more showing). They donated him to a therapeutic riding program where he was a favorite. In 2005 the program was downsizing, and I bought him back for my daughters to ride.

He is currently 32 years old and going strong as a beloved pasture ornament. He can be ridden lightly at a walk, so is great for giving my two little grandkids pony rides.

Apparently I don't have any pictures of him this year (must remedy that soon!); this one is from spring last year, when he was 'only' 31.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:39 am

Mareless wrote:This is my old man. He is 7/8 Arab and 1/8 QH.

I met him in 1984 as a weanling, bought him in early 1987, broke him out and used him as my show horse (4-H, Open and Arabian) for several years. Sold him in 1992, in 1995 he got EPM, which left him with a hitch in his gait and the vet told his then owners he wouldn't be able to stand up to regular vigorous riding (as in, no more showing). They donated him to a therapeutic riding program where he was a favorite. In 2005 the program was downsizing, and I bought him back for my daughters to ride.

He is currently 32 years old and going strong as a beloved pasture ornament. He can be ridden lightly at a walk, so is great for giving my two little grandkids pony rides.

Apparently I don't have any pictures of him this year (must remedy that soon!); this one is from spring last year, when he was 'only' 31.

Wow, he looks awesome! What's his name? My Arab is 21 this year, so getting up there but still going strong. Arabs just keep going and going!

Suzon
Herd Member

Postby Suzon » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:27 am

Mareless: Such a cutie!!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”