Travel to NW CA to visit Redwood Forest/Coast

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Travel to NW CA to visit Redwood Forest/Coast

Postby Josette » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:19 pm

Anyone visit the northern coast of CA and visit the National Redwood Forest? This trip is on my bucket list and I'm trying to figure out where to stay and driving distances/time. Flying in from NJ so flights are VERY expensive and it appears I may fly into Medford OR and drive down from there. I'm trying to go through Denver as our connection so we can stretch our legs between flights. I'm seriously trying to avoid long flight to SF and connect from there.

It seems Trinidad CA is the most popular area to stay if my research is correct. I'm thinking evening flt to Medford stay overnight at airport hotel and start fresh to drive in the morning. We are only staying 6 nights including this layover night. Should I split the coastal stay between 2 locations - like Trinidad and Crescent City or Eureka? I would love to use minimum 2 days in the forest. Maybe even a horse back ride excursion if I can get DH on a horse. I'm thinking for the end of Sept as everything looks totally booked up. If not this year - what would you recommend as the earliest for next year? We did OR coast last year in mid-June and weather was lovely and cool mornings.

orono
Herd Member

Re: Travel to NW CA to visit Redwood Forest/Coast

Postby orono » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:31 pm

One of my favourite places in the world..we travelled from Santa Monica, CA to Newport, OR with our RV a few years ago. The redwoods were amazing and on my bucket list. Depending on how much you like to drive I would consider starting at either Monterey Bay or San Francisco, both areas are worth visiting even if it's only for a few hours.

Check this out as a place to stay, we ended up at a diff RV park but this one has cabins for rent. Might not be luxury accom but terrific views.

http://redwoodsrv.com/

Quelah
Herd Member

Postby Quelah » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:45 pm

You've seen this site I'm sure?
https://www.nps.gov/redw/index.htm

Yeah flying into OR and driving down might be a lot easier.

PhoenixRising
500 post plus club

Postby PhoenixRising » Thu Jun 30, 2016 7:42 pm

I went once as a kid with my family. Its one of my life dreams/goals to find a way to go trail riding there. Probably one of my favorite places that I have ever been.
Go confidently in the direction of your dreams, live the life you've imagined!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”