Vermont towns to visit?

martha sc
Novice

Vermont towns to visit?

Postby martha sc » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:13 pm

I have 5 free days in Veront in early August . Can you please recommend towns that would be good to spend a couple of days in? Arty stops are good. My DH wants to go to Stowe, isthere anything there in the summer? Last year we went to Killington for 3 days and it was a bust,lotsof things closed nothing to do, no good restaurants. I'm afraid Stowe will be the same.

Chancellor
Site Admin

Re: Vermont towns to visit?

Postby Chancellor » Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:19 pm

Burlington is a nice little college town with lots of artsy things to do. Will you be that far north?

Josette
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Josette » Mon Jul 11, 2016 2:34 pm

I don't know how far you are willing to drive - but we visited this craft show the other year. It is huge and lots of fun. This is a high end juried art/craft show.

August 6 - 14*
Newbury, New Hampshire
83rd Annual League of NH Craftsmen's Fair
Mount Sunapee Resort
1398 Route 103
10 am to 5 pm
350 Craftsmen

(I just checked driving distance between Stowe VT to Newbury NH and it is just over 100 miles. )

bettyk
Greenie

Postby bettyk » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:40 pm

Woodstock...gorgeous! Also, Manchester. The drive between the two towns is beautiful as well.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:22 pm

Burlington's just one of my favorite places, so I would recommend that, of course. There's a lot going on, art-wise, great restaurants, just awesome in general. Just a short drive from Shelburne Farms and Shelburne Museum, which are worth checking out.

Depending on where your artsy leanings lie, and if you're planning on being up in the NEK, I would highly recommend Bread and Puppet in Glover. Even if you can't make it to a performance, it's worth checking out the museum and the shrine forest. It's a difficult place to describe, but because of being indescribably wonderful. http://breadandpuppet.org/ (I used to live in Glover, so I have a bit of a soft spot for it - nothing going on "in town," but a gorgeous area).

If you're a dog person, about half an hour south in St. Johnsbury is Dog Mountain/Dog Chapel, which is a pretty special place. http://www.dogmt.com/Dog-Chapel.html

Have fun! Vermont is just a great place in general.

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Tue Jul 12, 2016 12:36 am

Josette, we will absolutely be at Sunapee. I'm a potter and have been there before, great show. We sre planning a couple,e of days in Burlington and will be in rhe NEK.
We are flying in to Manchester and going to visit friends in Quechee first 5 days, then hitting the road.

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:18 am

martha sc wrote:going to visit friends in Quechee first 5 days, then hitting the road

Then you must visit Woodstock; it's just lovely and very near Quechee.
Some fantastic horsey stuff around there, too, especially if you're a Morgan fan.
And don't forget Ben & Jerry's!

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:41 am

We were in Warren, near Stowe, two years ago. I loved it! The Waitsfield Farmer's Market is fabulous! There were also lots of good restaurants, and fun poking around.

martha sc
Novice

Postby martha sc » Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:33 pm

Maple , tell me more about the "horsey stuff "

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:12 pm

google the green mt. horse assoc. they're in woodstock vt.

Maple
Greenie

Postby Maple » Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:47 am

Let's see; there's the Morgan Horse museum previously linked; GMHA which amygdala mentioned which has something going on nearly every weekend; Denny Emerson is in VT for the summer at his Tamarack Hill Farm; and there's the UVM Farm if you want to see lots of nice breeding stock. There are horses all over the place in VT.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”