Help! Best flavored brownie recipes needed

Bosko
Greenie

Help! Best flavored brownie recipes needed

Postby Bosko » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 pm

Help needed! Please share your best tried and true flavored brownie recipes.

The beloved chief of my local volunteer fire department unexpectedly passed away and the family has asked the wives/significant others in our fire family to bring desert finger foods for the events this Friday afternoon. I had great chocolate and peanut butter swirl, rocky road, and chocolate covered cherry brownie recipes so I volunteered to bring a few varieties of flavored brownies. (Someone else is already doing plain chocolate brownies and others have various cookie favors, rice crispy treats, etc. covered). Now that I am at home and searching for them, it appears the book with those recipies got lost in my last move. We expect quite a large gathering, so I plan to make large batches of a few different kinds. While I am also searching for recipes online, I greatly appreciate any tried and true recipes anyone is willing to share.

Thank you!

piedmontfields
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Help! Best flavored brownie recipes needed

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:59 pm

Moosewood Cookbook (original) brownies are the best IMO, especially with a little ground espresso added.

The key is serious amounts of butter and egg----absolutely no oil. Plus not too much sugar so the full flavor of dark chocolate comes through. If you like very sweet brownies, you will hate these.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:50 pm

I have a chocolate peanut butter swirl brownie recipe if you're interested.

Also a to die for mint chocolate brownie that takes a while to make (make brownie portion, cool several hours or overnight, make mint filling portion, chill, make fudgy top layer, chill to set. . .) Makes a huge pan. They are always gobbled up wherever I take them.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:25 pm

Here is a link to my favorite brownie, cream cheese/German chocolate. I do not use nuts though since I don't like nuts in things. I didn't realize this recipe is from the 1960s! http://clickamericana.com/topics/food-d ... wnies-1967

Bosko
Greenie

Postby Bosko » Wed Jul 20, 2016 6:11 pm

Thank you all!

Mareless, I'd be interested in both recipes. Both are great flavors with chocolate.

myleetlepony
Herd Member

Postby myleetlepony » Thu Jul 21, 2016 1:03 am

https://smittenkitchen.com/2013/02/salt ... -brownies/

Super easy, one pot, one plate and one bowl required. Always a hit...

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:35 pm

Bosko, here are the recipes.

Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies

1/2 cup softened butter
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbsp milk
3/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 cup peanut butter (the creamy kind works best)
1/3 cup peanut butter chips
1/3 cup cocoa
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips

In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until fluffy, then add the eggs and milk; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; stir into the creamed mixture and mix well.

Divide the batter in half. To first half, add the peanut butter and pb chips, stir well. To the second half, stir in the cocoa and chocolate chips.

In a greased 9"x9" pan, spoon the chocolate batter in five mounds in a checkerboard pattern (ie, mound in each corner and one in middle of pan). Spoon the pb batter in four mounds, placing between the chocolate mounds. Then swirl a knife around through the batter to swirl the mounds so that the bottom of the pan is covered and the batter is mingled but not blended.

Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes (usually takes a few minutes longer in my oven, 33-35 min or so. . .) until a toothpick poked in the center of the pan comes out clean. Cool, then cut into squares.

Chocolate Mint Squares

First Layer:
Mix together 1 cup sugar
1/2 cup (1 stick) softened butter
2 cups (or 1 16oz can) Hershey's syrup (or whatever chocolate syrup brand you use; I make mine from scratch because it's easy to whip up)
1 cup flour
4 eggs

Spread this batter in a greased 15" x 10" jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. Refrigerate until cool.

Second Layer:
Mix together 4 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp peppermint extract (or enough creme de menthe to taste minty enough, LOL)
4 drops green food coloring
1/2 cup softened butter
about 4 Tbsp milk (enough to make it spreadable, but not enough to make it runny!)

Spread this mixture evenly onto cooled first layer. Then refrigerate until set.

Third Layer:
Melt together 1 1/2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips and 1/2 cup butter. Stir until smooth, then spread on top of the cooled mint layer. Refrigerate until cool and chocolate is firm to the touch.

Cut into squares and keep refrigerated until ready to serve. (Don't leave them out on a hot day; they will get rather gooey when they warm up.)

AirsAboveNC
Novice

Postby AirsAboveNC » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:57 pm

Those of you posting suggestions without recipes are so mean. :P

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:20 am

Google is your friend (at least for mine).

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”