Tipping in the US and Canada

silk
500 post plus club

Tipping in the US and Canada

Postby silk » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:37 am

Is there a "standard" tipping percentage, either in the US, or Canada (or specific locations within)?

A friend is traveling there soon for work. We don't tip here in NZ (we also operate on a nearly-cashless basis most of the time!). He mentioned 12% for the US and 15% for Boston (????).

Thanks all :)

capstone
Herd Member

Re: Tipping in the US and Canada

Postby capstone » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:09 am

15-20% where I am in Texas.

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Jul 21, 2016 3:42 am

i tip 20% in new england

Chisamba
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Chisamba » Thu Jul 21, 2016 11:36 am

Are you talking specifically about the food industry? Wait staff do not get paid well, and tipping is v expected. I tip 20 ℅ for good service 15 for averagE and I do not really care if people think I am A poor tipper,. 20 percent is not a given. Imho.
Last edited by Chisamba on Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:47 pm

Yes, it depends on the industry. I usually tip 15 - 20% to wait staff if the service is good. Ten percent to hair dressers, a dollar a bag if someone handles luggage, 15 - 20% to cabbies.

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:51 pm

For restaurants, 15% is normal in more rural areas of the US; 20% is expected in cities. Note that it is fair to do the tip for a restaurant bill on the charges *before* taxes. Many people don't, though, and end up tipping closer to 25%.

I know tipping is shocking when you come from a non-tipping culture! It is hard for me to stop tipping when I travel abroad as it is so ingrained in us here.

And for hotels it is handy to have 5s and singles available for folks doing service work.

WheresMyWhite
500 post plus club

Postby WheresMyWhite » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:40 pm

silk wrote:A friend is traveling there soon for work. We don't tip here in NZ (we also operate on a nearly-cashless basis most of the time!). He mentioned 12% for the US and 15% for Boston (????).

And having nothing really to do with tipping but if your friend is going to be here a while she should be aware that for some "industries" such as nail techs, hair salon/stylists... the shop *may* pass on the fee that credit card companies charge the vendor along to the individual so if you use a CC to pay for your hair cut, your stylist might be paying the CC fee as well. I usually pay my nail tech in cash and stylist with check just so they don't get "burned" paying for the CC fee by the CC company.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Jul 21, 2016 2:54 pm

At a restaurant - I typically tip 18-20% - it depends on the service and- the price/qty. of cocktails...IMHO A $10.00 cocktail really doesn't warrant a $2.00 per drink tip, plus my food charges. So, I kind of round out the amount of tip I give. There are times that my drinks end up being more than my meal...LOL
Now, if the service is super fantastic - I do give more than 20%.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:58 am

Thanks all. Friend has exchanged a suitable amount of cash for both countries and the length of stay (either one or two weeks, I forget) so probably won't run into any CC fee issues.

It is super weird to go from a non-tipping country to a tipping country and have to remember to do something you don't normally do. Here, prices on labels/tags are also displayed inclusive of tax, and there is only one tax rate that applies no matter the location or type of service/goods/purchase/item... The sticker price is the price.

Astral
Herd Member

Postby Astral » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:53 am

I do 20% in almost all cases... the math's easier ;)

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:12 am

yes tax here is based on area, region city and state.

you can add tips on to credit card charges, they dont have to be in cash. On small restaurant charges, I leave a tip in cash so the waiter / staff gets all of the amount. Credit cards charge a percent fee to the vendor and often restaurants charge the wait staff their share of that percentage off their tips.

I tip hotel maids etc every day, in cash

tip for sit down dining out where there is a waiter ( not fast food drive thru etc) cabs, baggage handlers, maids .

Otherwise not sure what other places they might encounter the need to tip.

When I dine out, sit down, I tip minimum $2.00 for bills up to $15 ( casual dining places) then it rises 15-20% depending on quality of service. 12% tip on a sit down dining bill would be considered a bit stingy. Not sure where they got the 12% / 15%

if traveling on business, larger companies will have guidelines for limits . Credit cards are easier to process for expense accounts and reimbursements.

I never carry that much cash internationally. I withdraw from ATM once or twice when I am in country, depending on length of stay. Your friends ATM card will work in US machines. They can check with their bank. Hotel fees go to the credit card, most daily expenses in cash, unless they are large.

they need to advise their credit card company that they are traveling and may us the card in the US. Otherwise they may encounter a frozen card when a transaction is attempted

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:25 am

15% minimum, 20% or so for good service (but would do less for bad service) I also consider the quantity of service, so if I order and pick up at the counter, usually a buck or two. If I only spend $7, but the waiter takes my order at the table and brings it to me, I'll usually just leave a $10 because he did the same amount of work as if I'd ordered a more expensive meal. At coffee shops, I'll throw a buck in if they're making me something fancy, but usually don't tip if it's just a cup of drip coffee. At bars, a buck for pouring a drink or two, or a couple bucks for multiple drinks either ordered at once or over the course of a couple rounds.
Keep calm and canter on.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:19 pm

hoopoe wrote:
I tip hotel maids etc every day, in cash

I'm curious as to how you handle this. I am usually in hotels for horses related events, leave early, return late, never see the maid. I have left an envelope that says Tip on it but it was still there when I returned and the room was done.

And how much do you tip?
Last edited by Chisamba on Fri Jul 22, 2016 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:35 pm

I usually tip the equivalent of $5. It is usually advised to put it under a pillow on the bed.

orono
Herd Member

Postby orono » Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:43 pm

In Canada, I tip 15 for normal service, will go down to 10 if it's exceptionally poor. 18 for very good, 20 for excellent.

Saddlebum
Herd Member

Postby Saddlebum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 12:30 am

20% whether it be for a Taxi, hairdresser or food server. Whom ever does a personal service for you should be tipped 20% but only if the service is good. Don't hesitate to not leave a tip if service is poor/bad.

hoopoe
Herd Member

Postby hoopoe » Sun Jul 24, 2016 1:28 am

In US and europe I tip $5. I place it in a small envelope under the pillows/ in the bed

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”