I cantered!

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

I cantered!

Postby PaulaO » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:11 pm

The canter was always my bugaboo. It didn't scare me, but Bob wasn't exactly the most forward horse and I never figured out how to KEEP him in the canter. We did our departs from the walk--he was perfectly trained for that. But I was never confident in the canter.

I decided I was ready in Sunday's lesson to canter. Ariel is, I'm guessing, a TB and has a rocking horse canter. There is an oh Jesus strap on her saddle. Picked up the canter from the trot and for the first round I held onto the strap with both index fingers and kinda neck reined her. The second round I held with one index finger and used my outside rein normally. My goal tonight (if the ring isn't too crowded) is to canter with both hands holding the reins in a big girl way.

I reallyreallyreally like cantering her. I reallyreallyreally like Miss A. She is boosting my confidence by leaps and bounds. And she is available for shareboarding.

StraightForward

Re: I cantered!

Postby StraightForward » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:18 pm

Yay, that must feel great! So glad you're having a great time with your lessons and your lesson horse. :)
Keep calm and canter on.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:28 pm

GOOD FOR YOU!!!!! Each time it will get easier...especially if Ms. Ariel helps you by keeping it on her own.

I wish I could post what you did...My last attempt at canter with my newish mare was HORRIFIC ! She has not been cantered with a rider for many months. Since she was in a nice slow mood, my trainer and I thought go for it....OMG - when I asked she didn't go into it. then she did and I wasn't ready, my body was all over the place. I haven't really cantered in years - so I was not balanced. I could do nothing to help her out. I scared the living crap out of her - when she did stop (which I thought she wouldn't) she was quivering. I felt so bad for her. Believe me I was pretty frightened up there.

I'm hoping to ride someone's steady Eddy - so that I can get my seat before I attempt it on her again. She's young and green and so am I. UGH...

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:39 pm

I am so thankful for Miss A. She is a school horse, but is forward and responsive. She's not a "dressage" horse but an all arounder. I've realized that as much as I love dressage and its principles, I'm a rubbish dressage rider. My niche is hunter and I can out-eq anybody. I use my dressage training during lessons (inside leg, getting her forward and reaching underneath).

Hayburner, there is a lot of security in an oh Jesus strap. You can use the flash from a noseband.

fergusnc
500 post plus club

Postby fergusnc » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:46 pm

Fantastic! So proud of, and for, you!

My big guy has always been an energy conserver when it comes to canter, so I get it regarding your canter experiences in the past. During a recovery period for my boy, I had a chance to ride a schoolmaster regularly (and eventually) on my own. I laughed with so much joy one day when I was doing canter work and the chiro showed up early for my Guy's appointment...she didn't want me to end my ride early so we chatted while I rode...I giggled like a kid when I realized I could have a chat with her and do canter work and the schoolmaster was totally able to mange himself until I asked for something different....you forget how fun it can be to just canter, and tweak now and then, and enjoy and get better....such a great feeling! So happy for you to have this great new horse and trainer to enjoy!

piedmontfields

Postby piedmontfields » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:27 pm

Very happy for your joy and appreciation of Miss A. I love the phrase "I can out-eq anybody." I know that I can't LOL!!

Do you have your rust breeches yet :-D?

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:38 pm

No rust breeches yet. In the fall. Plus my goal is to get into the next "decade" weight-wise. So about 5 pounds to lose.

I forgot how much I love riding. Bob has been gone for almost 3 years, and retired for over a year prior to that. And prior to his retirement, we did mainly walking and a bit of trotting. So I haven't done active riding in close to 6 years. It is emotionally liberating to ride a horse that I don't have to care for and worry about. All my time with Bob the last few years of his life were tending to his needs and not being able to enjoy the sheer pleasure of riding. I don't regret a minute spent tending to him but I forgot how much joy I got from riding. And dressage is/was just too hard for me and on me.

Another goal, yes, to talk at the canter. I kept smiling and saying "this is so much fun!" My trainer said "I've never had an adult enjoy the canter so much."

goldhorse
Herd Member

Postby goldhorse » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:45 pm

You are inspiring me! A few years ago out of the blue, I developed a fear of the canter transition. I've worked hard on overcoming it but I'm not there yet. Now, I'm recovering from this knee replacement and watching all my muscle and core strength disappear. But I'm itching to get back on my horse and build myself back up. It will be a fresh start and I will reward the new knee with canter, canter, canter!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:23 pm

Goldhorse, my fear was the trot-canter transition. I'm not over it yet but I'm working on it. It helps so much to ride a steady eddie who is forgiving of me and my mistakes.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:53 pm

YAY!! So happy for you! You should definitely shareboard Ms. A! You know what else you should do? Share photos! :D

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:29 pm

Paula, that is great!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Aug 02, 2016 11:26 pm

A very nice person took 2 pictures and texted them to me. Not the most flattering of either of us. One is going away from the camera and yes, the saddle makes my butt look big! The other is a still shot and Miss A. is not exactly enthusiastic....

ariel1.jpg
ariel1.jpg (65.97 KiB) Viewed 13171 times

ariel2.jpg
ariel2.jpg (81.47 KiB) Viewed 13171 times

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:40 am

Paula, you look so happy and I'm proud of you for getting back out there in the world of horses. Horses.......they do a body good!

exploding pony
Novice

Postby exploding pony » Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:54 am

YEAH!!!!!!!!

I spent a long, hot weekend at a horse show and came back so happy. Not because I got great scores, because I didn't. But I've finally come to a place where I realize that my personal goals are my own. And finding the sheer joy of riding and spending time with my fabulous horses.

Sunshine2Me
Herd Member

Postby Sunshine2Me » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:35 am

The thing that jumps out at me from the bottom photo is pure JOY! I'm so happy for you!

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:43 pm

Rockabilly and Sunshine2Me - I thought the same thing when I saw the 2nd pic...she looks so darn HAPPY!!! She beaming !! Shareboard sounds like a great idea for you.

Paula - I do have a grab strap on my saddle - I just never think to use it....LOL...

I was kind of in your same place of caring for a horse for years and not riding. My old guy has been fully retired for a good 5-6 years. I don't regret a minute of all my time caring for him. I didn't realize that I missed riding until I bit the bullet and bought my new horse. I'm having fun, even if our progress is slow. I feel guilty that I don't spend as much time with my retiree, but I do still see him daily, I just don't spend hours grooming him, etc. It is definitely hard having two horses, but I'm doing my best..

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:43 pm

Hayburner, as long as you see your retiree on a regular basis, that's spending enough time. I didn't see Bob every day even though he lived 5 miles from me. There were times he didn't want me pestering him, as long as he got his carrot quota.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Thu Aug 04, 2016 1:43 am

Paula luckily he's at the same farm as my new horse. So I did see him a good 6/7 days a week. I just feel guilty that I run out of time to pamper him . I do brush him a couple days a week, and your right sometimes he doesn't even want to be groomed. He's getting old and cranky! Lol. He still gets a carrot or so a day, though they are limited and so are sugary treats, he has Cushings on top of his lameness issue. Otherwise, he's not in bad shape. His turnout time is limited so that adds more guilt for me, I feel bad that he has to spend so much time in his stall.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:29 pm

Happy for you, Paula. :D

khall

Postby khall » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:00 pm

Congratulations on finding your joy again!

Yes it really does help when the horse is more forward thinking, that smacked me in the face here recently when I went horse shopping with a friend. I ride wide load WBs who are energy conservationist, we found her a wonderful OTTB that is forward and light but has the best brain. I rode him and did not want to get off!! I told her if I did not have 5 horses already I would be bringing him home. She loves him.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”