My rant for today

Hayburner
Bringing Life to the DDBB

My rant for today

Postby Hayburner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:49 pm

Containers that you cannot or think you cannot get all the contents out !

I use a fairly expensive facial moisturizer - when I first started using it, I tried very hard to get the packaging to open in case there was more product inside before I threw it away. From what I could tell, there was no more product and I could not get the top or bottom off.

Well, a year later I tried again - low and behold the top does come off and there is a TON more product in the container! GRRRR

I keep thinking of the money I've wasted because they make it so difficult to remove the top and the bottom definitely doesn't come off!

Rant Over....LOL

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: My rant for today

Postby Tarlo Farm » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:56 pm

I use scissors and cut them in half. HUGE pet peeve. And I rinse shampoo bottles using the diluted mix usually for another couple of shampoos.

Rosie B
500 post plus club

Postby Rosie B » Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I wholeheartedly support your rant!!

This drives me nuts too. Of course, you know why they do it!

My current beef about this is with the brand of applesauce that Costco sells around here. Applesauce is a staple in my house, and because the stupid jars have a ton of ridges and facets, I probably throw out between a quarter cup and a half cup of applesauce every time I 'empty' a jar. What a waste!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:41 pm

Totally understandable rant. I do the same thing Tarlo does. Cut the plastic tubes to get the stuck stuff out. If the tube is small enough I will seal it in a zippered baggie.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:50 pm

I get considerable satisfaction out of fixing things, and thoroughly emptying containers. What I can't get out of food containers I shake up with water and pour over the dog or chicken food.

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Wed Aug 03, 2016 3:54 pm

Oh this is a great rant. It's my pet peeve too. I haven't resorted to cutting open containers yet, but I stand them on end and shake them forever to try and get more out. My body lotion is the worst. I swear there is 1/4 of a container left when it stops pumping. I'm going to have to start cutting these things open.

In other news, I saw that Nutella makes a special knife that you can use to make sure that you get all of the Nutella out of the container. It's just a weird shaped butter knife, but a good idea.

boots-aregard
Herd Member

Postby boots-aregard » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:38 pm

My sister one christmas gave me these tiny tiny spatulas on the ends of different-length sticks just for the purpose of emptying such containers.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:47 pm

boots-aregard wrote:My sister one christmas gave me these tiny tiny spatulas on the ends of different-length sticks just for the purpose of emptying such containers.

Rubber policemen, maybe? We used to use them in the lab on different length glass rods.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:33 pm

I hate that too!

I have dry skin, and go through quite a bit of lotion. It is amazing (and disheartening) how much lotion is still left in the bottle once it gets too low to pump anymore. Seems like I can get about two weeks' worth out of a bottle by laying it on it's side, then taking the top (and pump) right off when I want to use it and just shake the lotion out the opening while holding the bottle upside down. And even when it's past that stage of coming out easily upside down, I can typically fish another couple of day's of lotion out with my finger.

Of course, it's always when I have a lotion bottle on it's side for this purpose that DH decides to tidy up the bathroom counter and set the bottle back upright! He never does that if it's full and gets bumped and knocked over. :lol:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Racetrackreject wrote:In other news, I saw that Nutella makes a special knife that you can use to make sure that you get all of the Nutella out of the container. It's just a weird shaped butter knife, but a good idea.

Good marketing idea from their point of view. Alternatively, instead of selling you something else to cure their stupidity, they could design the damn jar so you could get the product out!

Peeve of mine, as well...

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:04 pm

I did cut the bottom of this particular product - it actually had a second bottom. I even twisted and pulled to try and get the top off, no luck!!

Then on about my 6th or so bottle - I got the top off and since I cut the first bottom, I was able to push up on the 2nd bottom to get more product out of the top that I got off. There was a ton of product in there, I'd guess it was a good $20.00 worth ! GRRRRR

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:14 pm

Hayburner, what is this product???

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Ooh, annoying!

The hair goo I use is in an opaque container that is heavy enough that it's heard to gauge by weight when it is nearing empty. The pump gives not warning sputterings, it just stops dispensing product. Next time I'm sawing that sucker open.
Keep calm and canter on.

kande50

Postby kande50 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:44 pm

StraightForward wrote:Next time I'm sawing that sucker open.

Gas stove, hot knife, hood fan on high. :-)

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:39 am

Electric carving knife, or band saw???

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Postby Tarlo Farm » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:38 pm

Hacksaw or good sharp sewing scissors. The little spatulas are good for items that have a straight neck and body design, but won't work on the typical pump-bottles used for lotions. Can you tell I've dealt with this for years? :twisted:

amygdala
Herd Member

Postby amygdala » Thu Aug 04, 2016 2:31 pm

i dont have many pet peeves, but this is certainly one of them!!!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:43 pm

My rant is I can not open anything. Jar lids so tight, plastic one must use scissors on. Companies who package things should go into the home security business.

dasher
Greenie

Postby dasher » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:38 pm

Low cut breeches with tummy control! What the heck?

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Sat Aug 06, 2016 11:16 pm

Rockibilly, That's another huge issue for me. I have poor dexterity and getting lids off makes me crazy. Especially the ones you have to push down and turn at the same fricken time!

My poor hand strength also struggles with using leather hole punches, I usually just take it into work and have one of the guys help me out.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:36 pm

Hayburner wrote:My poor hand strength also struggles with using leather hole punches, I usually just take it into work and have one of the guys help me out.

Hayburner, have you tried the Herm Sprenger Hole Punch? My hands are no longer very strong, but I can manage with this punch. Pricey, but I think it's worth the $.

svvdressage
Herd Member

Postby svvdressage » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:05 pm

Canyon wrote:
Hayburner wrote:My poor hand strength also struggles with using leather hole punches, I usually just take it into work and have one of the guys help me out.

Hayburner, have you tried the Herm Sprenger Hole Punch? My hands are no longer very strong, but I can manage with this punch. Pricey, but I think it's worth the $.

Whole heartedly agree, mine is old and rusty but still punches a hole as easy as cutting butter! Best$50 i ever spent!

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 8:47 pm

Canyon wrote:
Hayburner wrote:My poor hand strength also struggles with using leather hole punches,

I have a set of 6 hole punches that I hit with a hammer to punch paper, cardboard, leather, pretty much anything that won't ruin them. They look like this, and it would probably make more sense to buy them individually rather than in a set because I never use the 3 biggest ones.

https://www.tandyleather.com/en/product/craftool-round-drive-punches

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:56 pm

Thanks for the Herm Sprenger info - the Tandy individual punches look good too....

I think it's time for me to get either one of these...

As for plastic bottles and jars - I do use a grippy and some of them are still tough ! I really think it's from over use of my hands and computer work...

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:02 pm

This is brilliant. How to open the clamshell packaging with a handheld can opener

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyw2AxcC9xE

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:08 pm

Re the hole punch thing... mine went missing (how on earth it ended up in the glove compartment of my car, I know not...) and I desperately needed a neat hole in something. Electric drill and tiny bit--voila.

Hayburner

Postby Hayburner » Tue Aug 09, 2016 11:58 pm

Just thought of another Hard To Open item.

Cheese or whatever packages that say Tear Here! Yeah right! I can never get them to tear. is it really that hard or are my hands really that bad?

Love the Oreo packages that just have an easy tear/pull top that reseals!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”