Flea control.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Flea control.

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:19 am

I seem to be bringing fleas home from the barn. My house cats (never outside) were miserable but are now being treated with Frontline and the scratching has stopped. I'm the one getting chewed :!: :P . I have treated the carpets, washed all my bedding (multiple times) and vacuum frequently. Problem is every time I go to the barn (boarding barn) they jump on my pants or britches and hitch a ride home. Yesterday, I hung up the pants I had worn to the barn and when I got home from work there were 2 on the floor that I assumed dropped off the pants. I don't see how it is feasible to bomb the barn (actually indoor arena)...very large building with dirt floors and all sorts of critter in and out...birds, rodents, skunks, barn cats. I have refrained from petting or picking up the barn cats. I usually only handle my horse.

Does mosquito repellant work to keep fleas away? I could spray my pant legs with a DEET repellant. Any ideas on how to keep them off of me?

I have boarded at this barn for years and never had this problem. There seemed to be an explosion in the flea population last fall. Apparently it didn't freeze hard enough last winter.

Tired of being chewed on.
Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Tarlo Farm
500 post plus club

Re: Flea control.

Postby Tarlo Farm » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:05 pm

Never heard of such a thing. Generally fleas will leave humans alone as long as they have other critters to suck blood from; our body temperature is too low. Bomb your house, use DEET around your legs, take your breeches of outside and leave them there...that's all I've got.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Re: Flea control.

Postby Kyra's Mom » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:14 pm

Yes...weird. Most of the bites are one my lower legs around the top of my socks so they appear to be crawling up my pant legs.

Last fall I stuck my horse in a stall, waiting for the trimmer and within 5 minutes she was violently stomping. I pulled her out and she had them all over her lower legs. I soaked her legs with fly spray and she stopped stomping. There was a nest of something in that stall :o . The BO did treat that stall but like I said, lots of critter traffic in and out. She has had an occassional stomping episode while at the tie wall this summer. Usually spraying her with fly spray will stop it.

Good idea about taking the pants off outside. Maybe wear a flea collar on each ankle :lol:? I have my annual with the dermatologist on Wednesday and will have her look at my " bites ". They sure feel like bites. Itchy for 2-3 days then they fade out. They ooze a little serum from the center. My PCP deemed them not bedbug bites...not the right pattern and most not where there is uncovered skin. He didn't know what might be causing them. I haven't noticed many mosquitos and am seldom out at dusk (I work evenings). The bug I found the other night sure looks like a flea although I don't have a magnifying glass. Too big and dark for chiggers. When I bought my first house I bought it complete with fleas so have dealt with them before.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”