"What's for dinner?"

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Re: "What's for dinner?"

Postby Rockabilly » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:39 pm

Part of dinner was homemade hash browns. I peeled the potatoes and rinsed them. Then I used a fine shredder and shredded them on paper towels. I did not rinse them again as I wanted what starch that remained to hold the potatoes together. I put the shredded potatoes on paper towels in the microwave for about 2.5 minutes then slid them into a hot cast iron skillet with a little oil. When they developed that beautiful golden color and crunch I turned them over and let the other side brown. My husband loves them. I also made cinnamon rolls with cream cheese icing.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:00 am

^^^^^ oh god....

Anyway, back on the ranch, which seems so horribly twiggy and vilely wholesome in contrast to Rockabilly's decadence, I'm having orzo with spicy sausage and Brussel sprouts. Sod it, I'm going to add wine and cream.

carpevita
Herd Member

Postby carpevita » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:25 am

Tonight I have bourbon cake for dinner and hopefully an early to bed time.

scruffy the cat
Herd Member

Postby scruffy the cat » Tue Dec 08, 2015 9:12 pm

I'm making the warm roasted potato salad with kale and lemon-tahini dressing that bascar turned me on to years ago. Terrible name. And I roast the kale. And of course don't follow the recipe as written. But I love it nevertheless.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Dec 09, 2015 1:14 am

scruffy the cat wrote:I'm making the warm roasted potato salad with kale and lemon-tahini dressing that bascar turned me on to years ago. Terrible name. And I roast the kale. And of course don't follow the recipe as written. But I love it nevertheless.

Oh, that sounds delicious! I will have to make this.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Wed Dec 09, 2015 7:09 am

Apricot pork tenderloin with cranberry black pepper sauce/roasted new potatoes with rosemary & parmesan/the last of green beans from the summer garden

http://www.marthastewart.com/343662/apr ... ranberry-b

I should add for anyone trying this recipe that we cut the apricot jam amount in half (~5 oz or 1/2 jar).
Last edited by Koolkat on Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:37 pm

DH smoked a small turkey a few days ago, because we had Thanksgiving at the kids' place and didn't bring home any leftovers, and we love turkey.

So, in a mini turkey tour around Asia, two night ago I made Don Giovani's One Pan Pad Thai, and last night was turkey curry with apple. A break tonight for cheese fondue, because bascar's post about bread prompted me to make a rustic whole wheat loaf :D .

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Dec 13, 2015 8:47 pm

Tonight is Chicken Parmesan and a small caesar salad. I made the dressing myself. I have been self teaching how to stir fry and other things. When I stir fry and have rice as part of our dinner I save the leftover rice for a few days and make shrimp fried rice. Then I decided to make egg rolls and they turned out delicious!

westisbest
Herd Member

Postby westisbest » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:56 pm

It's been foggy, icy damp and cold lately. And I've been busy all week so tonight a good solid homey beef stew. Brown the beef first in a sautee pan then in my big dutch oven (not sure of the make but it was very expensive not Le Creuset but another French make) it does something magical to a dish when slow cooked for a few hours. Lot of root veg, potatoes, turnip, carrots, parsnips. Then I top with country biscuits (cheating with Pillsbury tonight) and let them brown up the last half hour.

Moutaineer
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:35 am

Shortribs!

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Mon Dec 14, 2015 4:12 pm

Koolkat wrote:Apricot pork tenderloin with cranberry black pepper sauce/roasted new potatoes with rosemary & parmesan/the last of green beans from the summer garden

http://www.marthastewart.com/343662/apr ... ranberry-b

I should add for anyone trying this recipe that we cut the apricot jam amount in half (~5 oz or 1/2 jar).

Excellent - and perfect timing with the ingredients because I decided to try this terrine :

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle ... nal-dishes

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Wed Dec 16, 2015 7:55 pm

I am roasting some green chiles and will make pork green chile for dinner. Except that it will probably be chicken green chile, because I know I have some chicken parts in the freezer, but not sure about any pork. :mrgreen:

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sat Dec 19, 2015 12:38 pm

Last night we had our normal huge salads and some split pea and ham soup. I've been craving it for weeks and it hit the spot on a dreary winter day.

This thread is making me hungry and wanting to up my game though. Must rummage through the freezer for something nice and maybe brave the pre-Christmas crowds to procure some better ingredients.
Keep calm and canter on.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:09 am

bascar wrote:and perfect timing with the ingredients because I decided to try this terrine :

That's a very interesting idea, nice presentation - you're far ahead of me in your culinary adventures! How did it turn out?

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Postby ThursdayNext » Sun Dec 20, 2015 5:53 pm

Any ideas for creative use of mac and cheese leftovers? I made Martha Stewart's macaroni and cheese the other day. I thought it was good but not great. Other grownups and 6 year old really liked it. Four year old wouldn't touch it! I don't know if it was the nutmeg or the cayenne or what. ... I still have about three servings left.

We're in cookie mode here. Last week, it was King Arthur Christmas Butter Cookies, which turned out lovely and crisp. Icing hardened perfectly. DD#2 insisted on horse cutouts but sobbed when her cookie broke. :cry: DD#1 tried to reassure her with the logic that cookies were meant to be eaten but then gave up. "Oh here, I'll eat it!" she said. :) Only trees, snowmen and mittens for DD#2 from now on. ... Dorie Greenspan's World Peace cookie dough is chilling in the refrigerator right now. I've never made these cookies, but they get raves on line. ...

We've got a Christmas party tonight, so dinner will be a Ceasar salad and soup.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:19 am

ThursdayNext wrote:Any ideas for creative use of mac and cheese leftovers?

arancini

and that's all I have to say about that.

Koolkat wrote:
bascar wrote:and perfect timing with the ingredients because I decided to try this terrine :

That's a very interesting idea, nice presentation - you're far ahead of me in your culinary adventures! How did it turn out?

So, the picture? It's of a "jar" of the terrine - which is what I did - the slice? is from a "pressed terrine" it doesn't come out of the jar like that! All in all, it was a bit more than OK. You have to eat it cold for sure or the flavors don't develop. But to be honest, I think I'm more of a pate girl, so I would definitely use this a base recipe, but I'd add chicken livers. And do it in a terrine mold, because the jars are nice but effing fiddly and you don't get the pretty decoration on top to last for more than the initial opening... and if you've gone to this amount of trouble, boy do you want some adulation!

heddylamar

Postby heddylamar » Mon Dec 21, 2015 1:40 am

Tonight called for a favorite -- kaali dal with pan fried broccoli rabe and spiced yogurt. It's very quick, simple and filling.

Koolkat
500 post plus club

Postby Koolkat » Tue Dec 22, 2015 4:54 am

Cranberry pear tart - with unsweetened whipped cream - before, during, and after dinner.

pe (640x360).jpg
pe (640x360).jpg (181.3 KiB) Viewed 28963 times

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Tue Dec 22, 2015 2:32 pm

Oh, v.pretty!

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Tue Dec 22, 2015 5:11 pm

I'm tempted to make bread in a crockpot, just so I can hear bascar's head explode. :mrgreen:

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Wed Dec 23, 2015 1:43 am

Coq au vin simmering gently on the stove as I sit here in my log cabin, fire and Christmas tree lit, snow pouring down outside, husband practicing music for Christmas Eve services just far enough away to be charming...

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Dec 23, 2015 4:53 am

No idea on the dinner front, but I've just put a pavlova into the oven and Kenny (my Kenwood mixer) is mixing up the next batch of eggy, sugary goodness. Chocolate meringues, I think. Then I want to make some of these: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/12/ ... more-17132

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:04 pm

silk wrote:No idea on the dinner front, but I've just put a pavlova into the oven and Kenny (my Kenwood mixer) is mixing up the next batch of eggy, sugary goodness. Chocolate meringues, I think. Then I want to make some of these: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/12/ ... more-17132

So I made these cookies this afternoon. It's true. They are the browniest cookies ever. Mine look just like the pictures of them. They are pretty good, but certainly not the best cookies I have ever made. I think making them once will do it for me. but obviously don't let my opinion stop anyone from making them. (y'all are a bad influence on me! :lol: )

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Wed Dec 23, 2015 11:43 pm

Rockabilly wrote:So I made these cookies this afternoon. It's true. They are the browniest cookies ever. Mine look just like the pictures of them. They are pretty good, but certainly not the best cookies I have ever made. I think making them once will do it for me. but obviously don't let my opinion stop anyone from making them. (y'all are a bad influence on me! :lol: )

I think it makes more sense, and is way easier too, simply to make brownies.

This made me think of the ginger snap recipe in "Joy of Cooking." If you like ginger snaps, this is a great recipe.
http://www.cookadvice.com/recipes/ginge ... recipe.htm

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Thu Dec 24, 2015 2:45 am

Rockabilly wrote:
silk wrote:No idea on the dinner front, but I've just put a pavlova into the oven and Kenny (my Kenwood mixer) is mixing up the next batch of eggy, sugary goodness. Chocolate meringues, I think. Then I want to make some of these: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2015/12/ ... more-17132

So I made these cookies this afternoon. It's true. They are the browniest cookies ever. Mine look just like the pictures of them. They are pretty good, but certainly not the best cookies I have ever made. I think making them once will do it for me. but obviously don't let my opinion stop anyone from making them. (y'all are a bad influence on me! :lol: )

My batch is still in the fridge. Good to know that I should just make brownies in the future.

My first pav was amazing, but the meringues flopped. Apparently cocoa and egg whites do not mix. I baked it anyway (in a casserole dish lid with sides) so we'll be having Eton Mess or something :lol:

SandTikiFire
Greenie

Postby SandTikiFire » Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:30 pm

Gnocchi Mac and Cheese - it was amazing!

http://noblepig.com/2010/08/gnocchi-mac-n-cheese/

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:26 pm

Turkey, lamb, coleslaw, cheese, and anything else leftover from yesterday :lol:

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:44 am

For us Prime Rib, mashed potatoes, gravy, fresh green beans, waldorf salad, homemade rolls and fruitcake I made about a month ago and has been reposing in brandy. Not just any fruitcake, but fruitcake made with dried fruit. I used apricots, blueberries, cherries, golden raisins, currents & toasted pecans. It's really good!

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Dec 28, 2015 9:06 pm

We did prime rib as well, and it was my first time cooking it. I cooked it on the grill and was amazed that it turned out so well on my first try. I was worried about getting the seasoning right, but I went "Texas" on it and it was wonderful. To go with the meat we had potato mash, green beans, corn on the cob, rolls, and way too many sweets- Hershey pie, salted caramel chocolate cookies, white chocolate macadamia nut cookies, and my favorite, plain sugar cookies.

I was sad when it came time to open the wine, that I hadn't bought the wine that I had thought I bought, and I did not care for the wine I had.

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:20 am

Dh was successful during the late doe hunt, so tonight we had venison burgers on the grill with roasted sweet potato fries.

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Fri Jan 01, 2016 2:47 pm

Pork Green Chile.

Not quite why I thought it was a good idea to buy a pork roast that could feed 8 given there's only one of me. So, roast pork, pork green chile, stir fried pork and peppers, and I'm losing motivation here.....

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Fri Jan 01, 2016 5:24 pm

Today I am making and have just put in the oven Ina Garten's Beef Bourguignon. I took a little taste just before I put it in the oven and it is already delicious. The kitchen smells so good! We'll have just as Ina Garten presents it along with a salad. Homemade fruitcake for dessert.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Jan 01, 2016 6:47 pm

bascar wrote:Pork Green Chile.

Not quite why I thought it was a good idea to buy a pork roast that could feed 8 given there's only one of me. So, roast pork, pork green chile, stir fried pork and peppers, and I'm losing motivation here.....

Freezer??

We ate lamb for a week. It was delicious, but... We got through it!

Last night I fried off sliced onions, then slices of chicken breast seasoned with salt, pepper and paprika. Added back the onions and a little gravy to make it a bit saucy. Served with rice and freshly-picked vegetables from the garden (the first of our runner beans and some courgette/zuc) - steamed. Absolutely delicious. Tonight will be leftovers from the previous night's bbq with friends (really nicely cooked steak and corn on the cob).

Mareless
Herd Member

Postby Mareless » Fri Jan 01, 2016 7:21 pm

Shoulder roast cooked in the crock pot makes awesome shredded pork and can be seasoned in many ways for multiple meals: bbq for pulled pork sandwiches, taco seasoning for pork taco/burritoes, teriyaki for over rice w/veggies. . . And it does freeze well too.

In fact, tomorrow we are having our 22yo son and a bunch of his friends over to make about 100 pounds of sausage, and I pulled a large bag of pre-cooked shredded pork out of the freezer to thaw so we can have pulled pork sandwiches for dinner while they are here.

ThursdayNext
Greenie

Postby ThursdayNext » Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:48 pm

bascar (or anyone!!), do you have a good recipe for Pork Green Chile? I have a house full of relatives. I cooked this huge pork roast last night and have a ton of leftovers. I was planning to make spinach, Monterey Jack cheese and pork quesadillas tonight, but I'm afraid other than that my mind is blank!

I have been cooking large meals practically every day. I have a fully cooked boneless (not spiral!( ham that I need to do something with. Two of our guests hate potatoes, especially mashed potatoes. I am not sure about sides. Later, I'm going to turn the ham leftovers into soup. :)

bascar
Herd Member

Postby bascar » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:34 pm

Pork Green Chili

2 lbs pork, diced
3 medium onions, diced
6 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tbsp whole cumin seeds
1 large container of roasted chopped green Hatch chillies (I like Bueno - available in the frozen section of your supermarket) - 28oz
3 cups chicken stock (I use water and bullion)

Working in batches, quickly brown the pork in some oil (unless your pork has already been cooked). Set aside and add the onions garlic and cumin seeds to the pan. Over a medium heat, fry onions until golden. Add the pork back to the pan, the green chili and the stock. Bring to boil, season well with pepper and turn down to a low simmer and cook for 1 1/2 - 2 hours until pork is meltingly smooth. Serve with diced boiled new potatoes in a bowl, smothered with the chili, and warm tortillas on the side. A dollop of sour cream or whole yoghurt is most welcome.

This recipe is *very* adaptable - don't get hung up on quantities...

I don't have a freezer here in the cabin - I have an ice compartment big enough for cocktail ice (v.important).

kande50

Postby kande50 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:42 am

ThursdayNext wrote:
I have been cooking large meals practically every day. I have a fully cooked boneless (not spiral!( ham that I need to do something with.

I'm really into freezing leftovers after a few meals, because we get tired of eating the same leftovers for too long (good for weight control, but it does seem like a waste of good food), and it always tastes so good when we don't eat it for awhile and then take it out of the freezer and it's fresh and new again. :-)

I too, have a quantity of pulled pork. I just made one of my favorites: ground up meat with mayo and veggies/fruit that I spread on toast. I make it in the food processor out of whatever meat I have, store it in the fridge, and then add different stuff to it for variety.

I'm still experimenting with the crockpot bread that someone mentioned above, and am having a lot of fun with that. I slice and freeze my experiments and then take a couple slices out at a time, toast them, and spread the meat/veggie mush on them. I've also been making some fruit compotes and spreading that on top of the meat, which makes them even better!

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:13 pm

Roast beef. I'm going to wrap it in pastry like Bascar once suggested. I loooove pastry. I looooove roast beef.

I wonder though... does wrapping the beef in pastry mean I don't "need" to cook Yorkies? Or can I do both?

Racetrackreject
500 post plus club

Postby Racetrackreject » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:53 pm

Not sure, but you also gave me the same idea. I think I've decided to make tamales since 1) I love them so and 2) they tend to freeze well. It will only be my 2nd time making tamales, but they weren't terribly hard to do, just time consuming.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:14 pm

Some type of chicken.

Unsure what... Hit me with ideas!

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Wed Jan 06, 2016 9:18 pm

We're having this tonight and it's delicious.

Chicken Fricassee

4 (4-ounce) skinned, boned chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoons butter or stick margarine
3/4 cup chopped green onions
1/2 cup diced carrot
1/2 cup diced ham
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup Chardonnay or other dry white wine
1/3 cup whipping cream
3 cups hot cooked orzo (about 1 1/2 cups uncooked rice-shaped pasta)
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Parsley sprigs (optional)

Preparation

Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper. Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove chicken from pan.
Add onions, carrot, ham, and garlic to pan; sauté 4 minutes or until lightly browned. Stir in broth and wine, scraping to loosen browned bits. Return chicken to pan; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until chicken is done. Remove chicken from pan with a slotted spoon; keep warm. Add whipping cream; cook, uncovered, over medium heat 8 minutes. Spoon 3/4 cup orzo onto each of 4 plates. Top each with 1 chicken breast half, 1/3 cup sauce, and 1 tablespoon parsley. Garnish with parsley sprigs, if desired

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Wed Jan 06, 2016 10:03 pm

ThursdayNext wrote:I have been eating hotel and restaurant food for a week. It's nice to be home! Dinner tonight will be herb roasted chicken thighs from Simply Recipes.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/he ... _potatoes/

Pretty easy recipe. I may make a green salad to go with it.

This looks delicious, and it's now my dinner plan.

bailey
Herd Member

Postby bailey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:41 am

My last job, I had the pleasure of working with several people from East Indian that were great cooks. I got hooked on butter chicken. Much to my surprise, I've learned you can buy the butter chicken 'sauce' and add it to chicken breast and it's awesome!

Here's my next 'recipe' for anytime. Take frozen fruit like blueberries or raspberries in a pot add 2 cups water and one cup of old fashioned Quaker oat meal, cook as directed. Add cinnamon, sugar or honey and eat! Excellent before barn chores or riding in cold weather. That's what's for dinner!
ps, I'm clearly not a natural cook but I have other talents and thankfully have you guys for ideas and recipes.

The calmer I am, the stronger I am.

Canyon
500 post plus club

Postby Canyon » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:39 pm

I made a big pot of Butternut Squash Chipotle Chili, a very tasty dish. I like the depth provided by the chipotles in adobo.

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:17 am

silk wrote:
ThursdayNext wrote:I have been eating hotel and restaurant food for a week. It's nice to be home! Dinner tonight will be herb roasted chicken thighs from Simply Recipes.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/he ... _potatoes/

Pretty easy recipe. I may make a green salad to go with it.

This looks delicious, and it's now my dinner plan.

Everyone loved the chicken. I made a few changes... as I normally do *haha* but it was great.

Browned off chicken, removed, lightly fried the onions, added sliced potatoes to bottom of pan, shoved the onions on top, then chicken.
No tarragon.
Used a bit of leftover lamb stock which had a bit of rosemary in it, and some water for the cooking liquid. Cooked in a dutch oven on the stove rather than in the oven.
Used 2 tsps wholegrain mustard and about 1 tsp dijon mustard powder with the white wine vinegar, plus some crushed garlic and a few whole cloves. Oh and maybe 2 tsp of cranberry jelly to help 'lift' the vinegar/mustard flavour. Couldn't tell it was in there specifically but the dish had great depth.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:21 pm

Last night I made babyback ribs in the Instant Pot under pressure for 20 minutes. I think I'll tweak the method a bit going forward, but they were tender and delicious and on the table in under an hour. That's a game-changer. Made the sauce very much from scratch since the base was a jar of the tomato jam I canned from my garden bounty last summer.

Along with the ribs, we had a big mess o' collards with some ham and apple cider vinegar, and cornbread (what is with all the recipes with like 1/2 cup of sugar? Used Cat Cora's recipe with no sugar). Also v. proud of the cornbread since it featured cornmeal from the Bloody Butcher corn I grew last summer. First time I'd summoned the ambition to try to do something with it, and was really pleased at how it turned out. My Blendtec turned it from kernels to meal like it was child's play. There was a long, yellow habanero type chile from my coworker's garden minced into the bread to give it a little kick. Might add like 1 T of sugar or honey next time and see if I can up the corn : flour ratio.
Keep calm and canter on.

Rockabilly
Herd Member

Postby Rockabilly » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:10 pm

This is the first I have heard of dijon mustard powder. Where do you get it?

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Sun Jan 10, 2016 7:15 pm

It's in the spice aisle of the supermarket... Looks like this: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/imag ... E48ze_ONdc
Attachments
mustard.jpg
mustard.jpg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 28564 times

silk
500 post plus club

Postby silk » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:41 am

Spatchcocked chicken: mixed and coated with a mixture of salt, pepper, paprika, chilli flakes, slivers of preserved lemons, chunks of onion, flour and a bit of oil. Marinated overnight, roasted tonight with two types of kumara (sweet potato), I also (separately) roasted some of our fresh beans (round beans of some description), slices of zucchini, and some mixed sliced cabbage (purple and savoy) that was sort of fried off with sliced onions, then steamed a bit, then put in the oven to finish off.

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:34 am

Sous vide salmon with lemon and dill; French green lentils cooked with carrot, onion, garlic, turkey stock and butter.
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”