Can I just say...

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Can I just say...

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:57 am

YUCK. I like to open up my house at night.It has been dicey at best from all the surrounding wild fires. Today, a huge fire erupted at one of the local recycling places (about 2 miles as the smoke flows from my house) and now at MN it smells like well...burning trash. What caught fire was supposedly yard waste, tree branches, pallets and the like but it stinks. I'm trying to decide whether it is worth it to keep the window open. We don't have a hold the nose emoticon.

Susan
from susamorg on the UDBB

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Re: Can I just say...

Postby PaulaO » Mon Aug 29, 2016 12:30 pm

Turn on the a/c and keep the windows closed. You don't want that yuck smell in your house.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:03 pm

I would not open windows. Change you fan filter to a hepa filter and run the central fan, even if you dontbrun the AC. ( if you have one)

Moutaineer

Postby Moutaineer » Mon Aug 29, 2016 2:30 pm

Oh, lovely. I'm in the smoke line of a biggish wildfire atm, which is bad enough. No AC here so the windows have to stay open.

We haven't had any rain in weeks and weeks. I guess it will all come at once.

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Oh...I did shut up the house and turn on the AC. No HEPA filter. It was horrible though. I was busy in my 'office' and didn't notice how bad it was....I was afraid my smoke alarms would go off bad. By then it was too late :P . The breeze was blowing it away all day toward the airport complex (no residential buildings). The breeze died down at sunset and the cooler air just sat the smoke down and pushed it over town. The fire department said they would be working the fire all night. Hopefully they can get it OUT today.

I hope people with breathing problems were OK.

Susan

Kyra's Mom
500 post plus club

Postby Kyra's Mom » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:03 pm

Well so much for my hoping. I thought it was about a 2 acre pit that was involved. No...12 acres :shock: . It is contained but won't be out until toward the end of the week. Meanwhile, they are watering it down and it is still pumping out lots of smoke. :evil: . My poor mother was nearly physically ill last night. Jingles for the wind blowing the right way.

Susan

StraightForward

Postby StraightForward » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:16 pm

Wow, you must be downwind. I saw the plume on my way home from the barn and wondered WTF was happening, but it wasn't smoky at my house last night, so we did open up the windows and enjoyed some nice smoke flavor this morning. Assumed it was the Pioneer fire.

Good footage here:
http://www.kivitv.com/news/crew-battlin ... r-in-boise
Keep calm and canter on.

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”