Ariel and a calf

PaulaO
Bringing Life to the DDBB

Ariel and a calf

Postby PaulaO » Fri Sep 30, 2016 3:52 pm

Or why I love this mare.

THS is a big barn, about 100 horses boarded. Last night I was the only boarder there. The ring was freshly gilled and watered and there were 2 jumps in the far end. This arena is huge. Giant. It was overwhelming to be in there alone. Alone, and with a calf mooing from the aisle next door. There is a calf at the barn in a stall. I didn't get the full story, but he's a Jersey, and his name is Stewie. Stewie mooed the entire time I was at the barn and he is LOUD.

Miss A. was like, "what is that noise?" but she never put a foot wrong once she figured out that the noise was just a noise and wasn't going to get her. Bob would have rooted to the spot with the whites of his eyes showing and would bolt/shy/spook. Ariel did none of that and I never felt she was going to do that. We walked on a loose rein doing loops and I felt secure. You know I'm not the most confident rider but this girl makes me confident.

We have an issue to work on--how to stand at the mounting block until Paula gets in the saddle. Last night I had my left foot in the stirrup and my right leg halfway over her back when she decided it was time to walk on. That was the scariest part of my ride...

Here's Stewie, your squee for the day

Stewie.jpg
Stewie.jpg (40.59 KiB) Viewed 8741 times

Hayburner

Re: Ariel and a calf

Postby Hayburner » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:24 pm

He's adorable! Hopefully he won't be in your barn long, sorry but their manure stinks!

Can't imagine a facility with 100 horses/boarders! That would be way too much for me

Ryeissa

Postby Ryeissa » Sat Oct 01, 2016 6:44 pm

OMG! cute!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:31 pm

Bob was at a barn with 25 horses and while it was cozy and personal, sometimes the drama ran really high. It's different to be at THS. There is a very active lesson program with school horse (that's how I found Miss A.). I'm getting to know the people in my aisle, and I know most of the staff. Never thought I would board at a barn like this, but then I never thought I'd bond with a red headed mare!

khall

Postby khall » Sun Oct 02, 2016 2:52 am

Cute calf and yeah for Miss A!! My big horse just recently had a cow(s) experience, seeing them up close and personal. It blew his mind pretty bad, poor guy. Don't know what he would have done if they had mooed at him. Bad enough that they were appearing out of the ground (pond), he about wiped me out over that.

M&M
Herd Member

Postby M&M » Mon Oct 03, 2016 10:26 pm

Great story and adorable calf. I like the name Stewie, also. Mostly.

Chisamba

Postby Chisamba » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:27 am

Stewie is the usual nick name for any male meat animal that you do not want to get fond of. Don't get too attatched.

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:00 am

Ariel did not see Stewie, just heard him. I cannot say what she would do if she saw him, but I would prefer not to be around if that time comes.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm loving your updates with Miss A. Be patient -- you will prevail at the mounting block. I have won that "discussion" with horses that had previously actually been encouraged to walk off, and I've never used a treat to do the training. Patience and lots and lots of praise for each little success are the keys!

Tuddy
500 post plus club

Postby Tuddy » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:48 pm

Love your story! Poor Stewie! Great name tho! We usually have a calf in the barn that we have had to apprehend from their unfit mother. The last one we had (and still have actually) we named Chewbacca, Chewie for short. He is half Galloway, so he was pretty hairy when he was born. :)

khall wrote:My big horse just recently had a cow(s) experience, seeing them up close and personal. It blew his mind pretty bad, poor guy.

The ones that are the most upset by cattle at first sight usually make the best cowhorses - who knows, this may be a great way to throw some cross training in! :)

I am in awe of your adventures with Ariel! Please, keep them coming!!!!

PaulaO

Postby PaulaO » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:58 pm

Sunday we had a successful training session at the mounting block. She is a cribber, a hard cribber. The mounting block is near the wall, and once she gets near the wall, will move over to crib. I had the bright idea to put her on the the other side of the mounting block, away from the wall. She kept moving away, and when she did, I made her walk around the mounting block. Up and down lessons were going on in the arena, and 2 of the teachers asked me if I needed help. Nope, we're doing a training session but thanks for asking. She finally stood (without a treat!) so I could mount, and did not move off until I asked her to.

She's a good girl.

KathyK

Postby KathyK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:18 pm

PaulaO wrote:Sunday we had a successful training session at the mounting block. She is a cribber, a hard cribber. The mounting block is near the wall, and once she gets near the wall, will move over to crib. I had the bright idea to put her on the the other side of the mounting block, away from the wall. She kept moving away, and when she did, I made her walk around the mounting block. Up and down lessons were going on in the arena, and 2 of the teachers asked me if I needed help. Nope, we're doing a training session but thanks for asking. She finally stood (without a treat!) so I could mount, and did not move off until I asked her to.

She's a good girl.

Excellent!

Return to “The Observation Lounge/ Cookbook Forum even Hot Topics”